Empty

Printer-friendly version

Empty

Here I am again, sitting in the kitchen with a glass of milk, staring into space and wishing I was anywhere or anyone else. It’s an odd night that I’m not sitting here awake at 3am. I know I should go back to bed and take another stab at sleep, but it wouldn’t matter anyway.

Today is Christmas day, and in a few hours, children all over town will be waking up to colorful boxes under a lit tree, but not in my house.

You see, two years ago, I did something so absolutely horrible that my own wife left me, and she took both of our children. It’s not really as bad as I made it sound, I guess. I didn’t rob a bank or kill anyone.

I remember when I decided to tell her. I wrote up a speech; I practiced in front of a mirror; I even talked to my councilor about the best way to approach the subject. I knew it would be a tough shock to her, and probably the kids too, but I honestly believed that our love was strong enough that we could work through it.

I told her that I had already talked to our preacher, and that he tried very hard to convince me that I was wrong. I tried to explain that I’d felt for years that something wasn’t quite right, and that if things didn’t change, I would probably go crazy.

So here I am, alone in an empty house at 3am, remembering the exact moment that everything changed. I can still feel the way our family tore when I first told her that I no longer believed in Jesus Christ.

up
66 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

This is Kylie's story

I'm just passing it along. But I do hope you will tell us what you think.

Dorothycolleen, member of Bailey's Angels

DogSig.png

Blessed

KYLIE is not alone and is verY BLESSED to have a friend like you and she always has her FAMILY here at BCTS-- HUGS , KISSES & MERRY CHRISTMAS to all my FAMILY at BCTS -- RICHIE2

I honestly expected the last word to be republicans...

or some other such thing. Either that, or the story would have ended with:
"...under a lit tree, but not in my house. A fifth of cheap vodka, and a half
used box of rubbers. Not much of a thirteenth birthday..."

This story is sort of odd, for someone who has often made evangelical Christians,
and creationist debaters cry.

Rather than feeling sorry, Kaylie, get a good lawyer, and sue the faithless bitch for
custody. I think you'd win.

Good Story!

Sarah

Belief

Belief is an interesting thing. The more complicated and intricate it is, the more utterly dependent it is on dogma, or a creed, the more orthodox and rigid it is, the deader it becomes.

Unless belief has an element of life to it, and can grow and breathe, and a personal relevance to ourselves, it can become dead, brittle, and fragile. One wrong turn, one sudden motion, and a belief system like that can turn into a handful of dust.

And, what is dogma? Obviously not the one and only irrefutable Truth. The history of Christianity is a long history of schism. One denomination after another has split off from one branch or another. No denomination has proven too small to schism into smaller denominations. No denomination has proven large enough to snuff all dissention within, despite attempts to the contrary.

I count myself lucky to have found a denomination which complete eschews dogma, which has no creed, which makes no attempt to force you to see the Divine this way, or that way. Instead, it speaks to things which Christ may have spoken to: Simplicity, Peace, Integrity, Community, and especially, Equality. There are those who question whether, despite its origins, it's proper to even consider it a Christian denomination. And, there are even followers within who can't say how they envision God or even if they accept the concept of one. And yet, despite having no catechism or creed, we all worship together, seeking the Light, finding the love within our hearts to guide our interaction with the world. Is it better to live and act in a way that Christ would have approved of, or is it better to invoke his name and legend as a totem, encapsulated in a dogma?

The story illustrates a belief in the latter, a belief in words over actions, and the antithesis of love.

___________________
Sometimes, a story can trigger philosophical musings. Forgive me!

I've seen and heard very similar REAL stories.

A very powerful and accurate piece of writing. While it doesn't especially state that this person is an "atheist" that is what I choose take away from it. It saddened me to learn recently that atheists are the least trusted group in the US. We're on par with pedophiles. Because we don't believe in a god or gods people think we're inherently immoral and untrustworthy. There is nothing, so the argument goes, stopping us from raping and murdering people. It's very hard to hear.

I've never hidden my beliefs. If someone asks me if I believe in God I do try my best to answer truthfully. But the moment they hear that I'm an atheist I seem to get this "look". The "I'm so sorry for you" look. Worse still, they'll look at me with fear and say "I'll pray for you soul". It's offensive and it's demeaning.

I hope one day a person can actually be themselves without fear of persecution.

Empty

A most thought provoking posting that goes to the heart.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

These comments are insightful,

But, given that this is BCTS, I really, really, thought the narrator was going to come out as TS and needing to transition. I mean, surely someone else must have thought this was another story of non acceptance and transphobia, Ya Know?

Back to the religious thread; I'd say what ever the wife thought or believed about Jesus, must have been absolutely wrong!

I really figured I knew how Christians were supposed to behave by the time I was 7 or 8. It's not that hard to understand! It's sad that the most dogmatic and brainwashed are the farthest away from how Jesus wanted people to act. Fred Phelps et al......

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee