Timeout 4- Reel to Real - Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version

Joanie's stow-away reveals herself and explains how they are bonded. We learn Miki has a strange weakness. Dr. Sara and Joanie reconcile. Joanie's match-making between Dr. Sara and the Senator had suceeded, whoa boy! The Smith twins mom meets Joanie. Gin equips Miki for the trip to Iowa. Mel, Eric and Babs meet Miki. Joanie and Eric devise a way to keep their relationship legal but fun. An emergency arises and Joanie must leave for, gulp, Hawaii.

Andy Warhol said,"In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes." What if your 15 minutes came late in life, and fame decided to never let you go? Could you survive the circus your life would become?

Timeout 4, Reel to Real: A Whateley Academy Fan fiction

This is fan fiction for the Whateley Academy series. It may or may not match the timeline, characters, and continuity, but since it's fan fiction, who cares? To see the canon Whateley Stories, check out either Sapphire's Place,

(http://www.sapphireplace.com/stories/whateley.html) or the Big Closet (http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/taxonomy/term/117)."

Here’s another chapter in part four of my TG/sci-fi/superhero/magic/one-size-fits-all epic. It’s not that bad; I do have an overall story arc in mind, honest. I’m much better than when I started this, though my grammar and spelling remain flawed; ask Itinerant if he is still coherent. (wibble, drool) Ah … on second thought, don’t. -- Damn, where’s the mop — all this drool. —

Your constructive criticism and advice continues to help. This is an exercise in the joys of creativity and in appreciation of the wonderful Whateley Universe. Any violations of copyright, trade mark or use of real people or incidents are purely for purposes of humor or parody and done solely for the free enjoyment of the reading public. All rights reserved in perpetuity, John from Wauwatosa WI, 2005-2007.

Adult content advisory: this chapter contains situations and topics unsuitable for young minds or your sanity. If you survive that pap, there is some adult content, too, so be warned. The name Leah is pronounced lay_ah. No snickering, perverts!

("It's the Princess!" "Aren't you a little short for a storm trooper?")
*&%^$#)@ editors !

Timeout 4

By John from Wauwatosa
Verb verification by Itinerant, verily
Post-production proofing by Janet Nolan of GEBPR

Chapter 5, Hey Miki You're So Fine 4, Welcome to Adulthood 6, You’ve Got Male, Hana, HI 96713 - Leah

The Wisconsin State Paranormal and Mutant Facility, University of Wisconsin-Madison, Des Moines, IA

May 04, 2007

I woke to the embarrassingly familiar confines of my former hospital room. Dr. Sara and Gin were at my bedside.

“Hon, you have got to stop doing this. It’s that or buy a room here,” Sara said and snickered. Her laugh told me I was alright.

“Joanie, this question may be a tad delicate. Just when did you become a sorceress? It would have been nice to tell us. By the way, your familiar is a dead-give-a-way. And of all the animals you could have picked -- a mongoose? For that matter, where did you find one?” Gin asked smiling.

“Miki chose me, and I am and am not a sorceress. It’s something to do with my warper fields trapping and retaining magic. Whether I’ll ever be able to do any useful magic is the big mystery. That’s a question for the future to answer. Right now the question to answer is 'Is Miki is okay?' No one has tried to hurt her?” I asked.

“No, but she tried to bite the orderlies who attempted to move you. Sara, Red, and I had to do it. The orderlies were terrified of her. You owe them some new trousers and briefs, Joanie,” Gin said and laughed.

“She bit them in the… Oh dear!” I involuntarily moved to protect my *family jewels* and broke out in giggles. “An old and valuable habit, but a bit too late in my case, huh? Miki went right for…?”

“...their *family jewels*, yes, dear, but she was toying with them.” I exploded with the giggles. “Joanie! …I-i-i-i meant your familiar wasn’t trying to hurt them.” That got me going worse; I was laughing so hard it hurt. “I meant she wasn’t trying to castrate the orderlies, just scare them away from you. Joanie, sometimes I swear you’re a teenager!”

“But I am a teenager; ask Sara!” I burst into giggles again.

“Aaaaah!” Gin screamed in frustration, though it sounded like a strangled giggle to me.

Carrie entered the room and took over as Gin was rattled. ~~I wonder how Gin got that way. It couldn’t be me, could it? I’m gonna owe her for this one.~~ “They tried to approach you and there was a blur of claws and teeth. Next thing we knew, the orderlies were half naked and in shock. Their clothes hung on them in tatters and yet there was not a scratch anywhere on their bodies. We know, because we inspected them thoroughly afterwards; well, I did,” Carrie said and grinned. “The precision of her attacks puts the finest surgeons to shame.”

“We had little trouble once the orderlies ran off, and I do mean ran. Your little mongoose protector had them in fear for their lives, or at a minimum for their manhoods. When Gin, Red and I approached you, your furry bodyguard gave us a few quick sniffs, chortled something and scurried off. We were left free to check you over after that. I got the impression she kept an eye on us periodically, though she was stealthy about it,” Dr. Sara said smiling.

“I’ve known of her only a short time, but Miki is quite intelligent. She’s good at distinguishing friend from foe. There she is… Hi there, little one, Ms. Miki, I mean. Don’t be afraid; these people are good friends,” I called out softly.

Miki came out from the bathroom. I got the sense she was both happy and guilty. She hopped up on my bed, and I noticed bits of soft, white paper stuck to her fur. Then I remembered something several of our cats liked to play with.

“Miki, did you attack the toilet paper roll?” I asked as my friends stared at the odd animal and at me

~~Mistress, are you well? I was concerned. Forgive me, but the ball of white leaves in the stone-lined manbox was fun to pounce on.~~

~~Stone-lined manbox? White leaves? … She means the bathroom. ~~ I realized.

“Don’t do that again without asking, Miki. My Ghod, I’m speaking with a mongoose! You heard her. She spoke!” I exclaimed.

“I heard nothing, but I sense the animal is fond of you. There was a telepathic link between you, but I could get no details. It was like the information was protected -- encrypted in some manner,” said Dr. Sara.

“I didn’t hear anything, but I saw a faint glow flash between Miki and you right before you said she spoke, Joanie. It could be a kind of magic assisted telepathy. Familiars often communicate with their mistresses that way, so I’m told. I’ve not had the privilege of being approached by an unbonded familiar yet, sniff-sniff,” Gin said and laughed. “You should feel honored by Miki’s action, Joanie,” Gin spoke. Miki stood on her haunches and bowed to Gin. Gin returned the gesture and smiled.

~~Your sorceress friend speaks true. She is a worthy ally. You are fortunate to number her among your friends. I chose you, Mistress Joanie. I am grateful you accepted my offer. To travel across many cycles of the white time of death and the green time of life proves you are strong with magic. You were once a boy, so you must be of the Sisterhood. It is my duty to protect and train you. You need not speak, Mistress. We are one since you accepted the binding. I hear your thoughts. No one else can hear our mind-talk unless you wish it so … I do not speak your words well. Forgive me. This new language is difficult.~~

“There’s that ‘Sisterhood’ again. I’m no member of any such group. I learned I might have access to magic only recently. I’m no sorceress, at least not yet.”

~~I saw you with the dark-skinned man at my late mistress' burial. So long ago, so cold, so wet. I saw you alone or with him many times in the past. The magic around you was strong. You must be a great sorceress to travel untouched by age across the ye… years. Yes, years. I begin to understand your words, Mistress.~~ Miki said and appeared agitated.

“I’m a mutant. My time-travel is part of my mutation. Just as some back at Whateley and in this part of the hospital have great strength or speed, I can control time. No magic was used to travel to and from the past. Sorry, Miki.” The mongoose appeared nervous, as if I’d said something absolutely contrary to its beliefs.

~~But you have dual nature. You were a boy and are now a woman. You glow with magic. You must be of the Sisterhood!~~ Miki sounded troubled.

“Sorry, little one. I was a man of 48 years when I mutated into a 17 year old woman. I know not of this Sisterhood you and Dr. Tenet speak of,” I explained. The mongoose became upset, almost inconsolably so.

~~I have failed! I failed Mistress Kushala, her mate and their unborn. I waited long, so very long to find another mistress. I finally found you, and I have bonded wrongly. I am bonded to you until you die, yet you are not of the Sisterhood. It will be many years before I can choose again. The cause is lost, and it is my fault!~~ Miki wailed with despair in my mind.

The pain she felt was distressing, even secondhand. I could see Sara felt Miki’s anguish third hand through me. The animal was crying -- crying like a human. My response was to start giggling, and I couldn’t stop.

~~Do not mock me! I have failed. That is pain enough. There is nothing funny in this.~~ If a mongoose could give you a look of disgust mixed with despondency, she gave me one.

I gathered my composure. My friends looked at me like I was being cruel. Only Sara appeared to understand me.

“I'm laughing only because the joke is on both of us. I am a regen. I recover from injury quickly and completely. I don’t get sick, and I don’t age. Miki, I am all but immortal. This is not necessarily bad. This may be a blessing in disguise for you.

“Experts in the occult say I have magic around me. You sensed it, or you would not, could not have bonded with me.”

Miki nodded in affirmation.

“I’m told I gather and trap it, or that I may even be generating magic myself. The solution is obvious: Teach me. Even if I prove a lousy student, you are welcome to use my stored magic. If necessary I can help you find others who are more worthy of your teaching. I’m not rejecting you. I welcome your assistance and I will work hard as your mistress and student. “

Miki appeared confused at my words. I tried to explain my position.

“Miki, dear, though you are bound to me that doesn’t mean you, I mean we, can’t help others who have more traditional magic talent. Why must this relationship be limited to us only? I am a woman of vast resources with staunch friends. Two of them are young sorceresses; you’ve already seen one, Miss Lonnie. We will work this out together, Miss Miki. You have not failed. You may need to change your tactics, perhaps you will be the primary wielder of magic and I will be your assistant? Whatever the solution, we will find the way together. Between the two of us we will make this union a success. Is it okay if we start as friends and take it from there?” I asked and held out a hand to scratch her ears.

~~You would do this for me? You offer freely? The way of a sorceress is hard.~~

“Miki, I’m in love with a … a man too young to be my lover. My mutation has made me famous and there are those who covet my mutant gifts. This makes me a risk to my friends and family. Hard is something I understand. You waited all these years alone, guarding the demon your late mistress helped imprison. Your honor and resourcefulness are inspiring. Such selfless devotion to duty leaves me in awe. If I can help you, why shouldn’t I?” I smiled and renewed my offer to scratch her.

She rubbed against my hand, and let me give her a thorough rubdown. She lay happily against me on my hospital bed.

“Now that all *that* is settled, I imagine you both are hungry. I see no reason you can’t use the cafeteria, Joanie. As to Ms. Miki, um, what does a mongoose eat?” Dr. Sara asked.

“Miki seems to like lion cub dry-food jazzed up with anchovy paste. The dried-cured, unseasoned meat, pemmican I think it’s called, seemed popular enough. Raw steak goes fine, too. These are all treats I give to my smilodons. You liked my treats, Miki?” Miki nodded enthusiastically. “Is there a pet store or supermarket nearby? A high quality dry cat food and some tuna packed in water should do. Maybe a couple small tins of sardines? Nothing too salty or spicy, though,” I suggested.

“Gin, dear, could you?” Sara asked her.

“My pleasure! I’ll see if I can get you a soft travel case and a harness. You’ll need one for airport security; I know, I have a friend with a familiar. You do have papers for Miki?”

“Signed by Dr. Tenet and Circe,” I replied.

“Circe?! She’s… that’s as good as it gets. Circe is at Whateley? You lucky girl,” Gin said wide-eyed.

* * * *

I got something to eat and managed to get Miki a hardboiled egg from the cafeteria. She loped along, always at my side -- not the easiest task given my long stride. We ate in that same nurse's lounge Miki revealed herself in earlier. We *talked* as we waited for Gin. She peeled her egg expertly and ate with dignity.

~~Bless you, Mistress. The man who named me gave me these as treats. I remember him fondly.~~

I poured some water on a small plate so she could drink.

“If I leave you for awhile, can you stay out of trouble? There are people here dependent on machines to help them recover from illness and injury. Damaging anything, and I do mean anything, could hurt them,” I explained in a whisper. I wasn’t used to speaking with my mind yet.

~~I will keep near you, Mistress. It is my duty. I will not touch anything without your leave.~~

“Good, except can the Mistress crap. Pardon my language. Call me Joan, if you must, but I prefer Joanie. Joanie is who I am, and I love being her. I may be a bit silly at times, but I am having such fun, and I can truly help people with these mutant gifts. Why should I need any further honors? Mistress is pretentious and a bit kinky to my mind.”

~~Kinky, Miss … Joanie?”~~

“Ah, a game to make sex more interesting?” I suggested sheepishly. Miki became quite animated.

I remember! Mistress Kushala liked being tied to her nest… um, the bed with silk scarves, then the English and she would…~~ Miki offered. She was excited and graphic in her recollection.

“That’s more than I needed to know!” I whispered. I was blushing furiously, and I was the only one who could hear her.

~~The scarves could be fun with Eric… I’ll have to file that for future reference.~~ I thought, and my body responded enthusiastically.

Miki looked uncomfortable. ~~Joanie, how can you stand it?~~

“Pardon?”

~~Your mate, Eric. How can you stand being apart? I feel your pain and desire.~~

“We must wait, but it will be worth it. There is a saying ‘the acorn doesn’t fall far from the tree.’ Eric’s parents, his whole family, are outstanding people. He will be an outstanding man. He’s but a cub by human standards. I must let him grow first. Does this make sense to you, Miki?”

~~I think so. Humans are hard to understand.~~

“Tell me about it. I’m one of them, and I’m struggling to understand me!”

* * * *

Miki and I returned to where I’d left the flowers outside of Donna’s room. I wanted a peek at the Smiths before I had to go. I saw my flowers had been removed from the hallway.

Miki agreed to not disturb anything unless I said it was okay -- except maybe the wily toilet paper roll. She has a weakness for them, but then so did many of our family cats. I started speaking with my mind to her which proved easier than I‘d imagined.

~~If you behave, I will throw some toilet tissue rolls for you to chase, Miki.~~

~~For me? I will be good,~~ she chortled in my mind.

* * * *

Dr. Sara noticed us waiting outside the room. “Why don’t you go in?” she asked as she gave me a quick hug.

“I don’t want to take away from their time with their Mom… Mom,” I said as I smiled at Sara. On an impulse, I gave her a hug and kissed her cheek.

I felt I had to show Sara she was forgiven. I needed to do this as much for my sake as for hers. I was disgusted with myself for being angry at her. The difficulty was a part of me didn’t want to have anything to do with *that woman*. Oh, I admit I was upset with Sara, but I didn’t want this relationship to fail, at least not due to anything on my part. I forced that angry, betrayed piece of my ego into the background and focused on what was right with our relationship.

“I feel bad that part of me is furious at you, Sara. I did ask for help, didn’t I? How can I be angry at you for doing precisely what I asked for? I want to love you unconditionally. You remind me of what my birth mother could have been if the expectations of society in her day supported women entering professions such as engineering or medicine. As for the Smiths, I can wait to say my goodbyes. I'd rather give them more time as a family. It’s off to Iowa for me in a little while. Oh, Sara, you did talk to Babs, didn’t you?” I asked.

“Yes, and she’s relieved. She knew you loved each other. She wanted to make sure you and Eric were safe and wouldn’t get in trouble. Even a rumor of impropriety could be harmful to you two. Babs loves you like a sister, you know.”

“I feel the same. I wish I hadn’t failed you ladies.”

“Joanie, stop that! If you hadn’t admitted you were having trouble then Babs and I would be disappointed. That you told us, however reluctantly…” Sara started to say and I giggled nervously, interrupting her. “Joanie, what I’m saying is, you did fine. If I was in your situation, I doubt if I would have handled it as well. It’s terrifying to know you can’t trust yourself to act as you should. Given your intense feelings for Eric, I’m amazed you said anything at all about it to Babs or me.

“I hope you can forgive my cruel trick, but I had to be certain. You’re too precious to me to leave you at risk if I can help it. I don’t want to see you get hurt. …I can see the hurt in your eyes; I went too far. I’m so afraid I’ve ruined things between us. Can I still call you my daughter, dear?”

“I… I’d like that very much... I’d better go now, Mom. Tell Tom and Tina I’ll see them on Sunday…” I was interrupted by Tina.

“Joanie, you get your skinny butt in here, now!” she ordered me. She grinned and grabbed my hand, dragging me along. She was surprisingly strong for her size.

“Mom, I got her,” Tina said to her mom, gently nudging her. I saw my flowers were on display in a prominent place near her bed.

Tina pulled me close to the bed, then Donna grabbed my hand in an iron grip using her uninjured arm.

“My children told me what you are doing for them. I will pay you back someday, I swear, Joanie. They are all I have left since my husband…“ she mumbled softly through her wired jaw. It hurt to look at her battered body.

She squeezed my hand all the harder. Her captivity, chained in that farmhouse basement, left her starved for human contact. I noticed she’d been crying, but her eyes shone with determination.

~~This woman will do anything to get healthy and protect her children. Giving up because it is easier, after all the pain she’s suffered, is not an option in her book.~~

My admiration for her grew in response.

“It is my pleasure, Donna. Tina’s a sweet girl, Tom is a good boy, and Suzy would kill me if I wasn’t nice to them,” I said and giggled. She smiled back though I could see it hurt her physically to do so.

“Tom told me he’s seeing your niece. I’m sorry she’s a victim of these… bastards. Sorry, Tom, Tina. Moms shouldn’t use such language. Joanie, I‘m so glad you could save her. I’d like to talk to her and her parents when I’m better. They sound like good folks.”

“I’m happy you’re getting better. I’ll let my cousin Christine know you want to speak with her about Suzy and Tom. Donna, did the doctors tell you about the possibility of an *extreme makeover*?”

“Yes, and I will give it careful thought, Joanie. My children are all for it. Their first choice is for us to be triplets. If not their triplet, they want me to be their older sister. Me, thirty… ah-um year-old Donna as their sister -- kids, what can I say?” she said and rolled her eyes and smiled. “I see the merit in changing my appearance; it’s clearly safer for my children and me.

“I’d not be honest if the thought of gaining extra years of life did not appeal to me. Your friend, Gin, promised to bring her new sister, Katy, to see me so I can ask her what it’s like to be transformed. I am tempted; to start over is appealing. I thought I’d grow old with their dad but that cannot be… I’d like that chance again, and I do love my twins. If I can’t have those golden years with their father, I can have more with our beautiful children. I see aspects of him in each of them, so in a way he’s not gone. I miss the intimacy we had, the secrets we shared. Perhaps in time I will meet another man and find happiness with him?”

“No rush. You have to heal before they can try a transformation. If you need anything, ask. I am more than willing to help and to hell with paying me back. On second thought, I may need a reliable babysitter in five or ten years …?”

* * * *

We all kissed and said our goodbyes, then Gin took me and my stowaway to the airport. Dr. Sara took me aside right before we left the hospital.

“I nearly forgot, dear. If you never did another thing for me in your life, I would always love you for introducing him to me.”

~~Sara’s smile is beyond happy, almost like she’s high on drugs or … in love?~~

“You’re in love?”

“Oh yeah,” Sara sighed.

~~It must be the Senator. Duh, Girl, he’s getting his late wife’s engagement ring copied for her. He told me that the other day: I mean, use your brain, Joanie. Still, I know I figured the two would hit it off but this is … Wow!~~

“I’m no saint; the rest of the Gang of Four told you that, I know. I’ve bedded my fair share of men since Carrie’s father died, more than my fair share to be honest. No one ever clicked until now. Bless you for getting Senator Williams and me together. He makes me happy; I think I love him. Joe tells me he hasn’t felt like this since he was dating his late wife. How do you find these people, Joanie? What attracts such wonderful people to your side? You have my undying gratitude. And please forgive me, I never meant to hurt you, dear.” She hugged me hard. I saw her wipe her eyes after.

“It will be okay, Mom. I promise.”

My last view of her was of a smiling, crying woman. And you all thought I was the emotional one, didn’t you?

* * * *

A gift-bearing Gin met me as I gathered up my luggage and retrieved one wayward mongoose.

“I hope this is suitable. I picked-up a soft-side animal carrier with a built-in water bottle and food dispenser. It’s certified to meet all US airline carry-on requirements. I got the smallest box of cat food I could buy and four tuna packed in water — in the pouches, not cans. All the sardines were in mustard sauce or hot sauce, so I skipped them. This should hold you until you can shop for yourself. To obey the law, I got you a figure-eight harness and leash. Just in case, I got one of those all-in-one throwaway cat litter trays and a few plastic bags. Here’s a brush for her fur, a nail clipper, and Sara insisted I give Miki this,” Gin said and giggled.

“A small roll of toilet tissue; how thoughtful,” I groaned.

~~For me? Please can I have it Mistr… Joanie, please?~~

“Okay. Seems Miki appreciates your gift. She begged me to let her keep it.”

“She did? I thought I saw a faint glow for a moment. I suspect as you are together longer your communication won’t be so obvious. Tell Miki I hope she enjoys shredding the tissue. I bet it makes a nice nest material and toy.”

“You brought it; you give it to her,” I said.

Gin put water in the carrier, some dry food in the built-in bin, tossed in the tissue then set the carrier on the ground. Miki bounded in after the tissue and only objected slightly when Gin zipped the door shut.

~~Joanie, how will I get out? If I am caged, I cannot protect you.~~

“Miki is worried she can’t get out in an emergency.”

"If I leave the zipper partially open can you squeeze out or tug it open with your teeth?” Gin asked Miki, then partially opened the flap.

Miki puzzled for a moment. She deftly grabbed a zipper slide in a paw and zipped it open while bracing the opening taut with her body.

“You have opposable thumbs? I mean you can use your paws like a human uses their hands?” I asked.

~No need to shout, Joanie. I am not as I was when I first became one with a mistress. I am skilled in many human ways, and my body is different to make this so. I can speak if I must, though it is hard.~~ she spoke to my mind. She sounded very confident, but not boasting

~~We will have so much fun together, Miki. Could you say thank you to Gin? She is a dear friend.~~ I thought.

~~With pleasure, Joanie. Thank you for speaking to my mind. I missed doing that with Mistress Kushala. You remind me of her in many ways.~~

“Thank you… Gin,” Miki spoke in a high-pitched, squeaky, but understandable voice.

“You’re welcome?!” Gin said wide-eyed then laughed.

~~Perfect, Miki.~~ I thought.

“Miki, do you need to… use the litter tray?”

~~No, Joanie, I used the big box with plants and the small tree in it.~~

I looked down the corridor to a large planter next to a huge window. “Gin, you may want to warn maintenance that Miki *fertilized* that big planter,“ I said and snickered.

~~What amuses you, Joanie?~~

I giggled and blushed.

“Ms. Miki, my friend here is being a silly girl. She’s imagining the surprise on the face of the maintenance person who next tends to that big planter. The planters are not usually used as bathrooms. You didn’t know, so it’s okay with me, Miki.”

Miki’s link to me must include helping her translate human speech because I thought someone blew a mental raspberry at me as we walked to the PT Cruiser. Gin drove us to the airport and helped us get on the plane.

* * * *

The engines of the small jet fired up, and we began to taxi.

~~I am afraid. I was scared the last time, but it is no better. This man box… airplane frightens… Aaagh! What was that?~~

“We took off. It means we are flying. It is quite safe. If you wish, you can sit on my lap. It’s safer for you to remain in your carrier which is buckled tight to the seat. I could put my hand inside it to comfort you if it helps. I don’t blame you for being afraid. My sister doesn’t like flying,” I offered.

~~Thank you, I will get used to this if I must.~~

She rested her head on my hand and she soon fell asleep. She kept a tight grip on my hand the whole time. Her warm, gentle presence and the strain of the day soon combined to put me to sleep. My dreams were wondrous and, no, I will not tell you what I dreamed about. The copilot woke us on approach to Des Moines. I found I had slept through most of a one-hour flight.

“I never asked. What do you have there, Joanie?”

“A magic mongoose.”

“You’re a nut, Joanie,” he said and walked back to the cockpit.

~~I told you the truth, Mister. It’s not my fault if you chose not to believe me. Those dreams! Note to self: I definitely need to remember about the silk scarves, oh yeah.~~

* * * *

I got a taxi to Terrace Hill, arriving around eight in the evening. The taxi dropped me off at the gate, where I was immediately recognized.

“Evening, Joanie. I’ll call ahead and…” said the officer on duty.

“Could you skip that? The visit is something of a surprise. Just say a visitor is on her way.”

“Sure, I’ll advise the staff to expect you but keep quiet. How long are you here?”

“Into Sunday, I escorted a pair of students to Madison to visit their mom in the hospital. We fly back to school on Sunday. I was so glad I could help,” I explained.

* * * *

I slung my guitar on my back then hoisted my bags -- Miki’s case included -- and walked up the long drive. The night air was pleasant, and I thought about what to say to Babs and Eric. The answer came at once — the truth. I was two-thirds of the way to the house when I heard the door to the mansion fling open and someone running out of the house towards me.

“Joanie, where are you? Let me help you,” Mel called out.

~~Somebody couldn’t keep a secret.~~

She nearly knocked me over when reached me. “I’m sorry, I’m so excited. Let me help. You have a pet with you?” Mel asked excitedly and tried to peer in the carrier. “I thought your smilodons were much bigger. It’s not for me is it — I’d like a pet but we can’t because it’s an historic house. That’s what Mom tells me — It’s not a kitty cat? It kinda looks like a kitty cat,” Mel said barely pausing to breathe.

~~Mistress! Joanie, help!~~ I *heard* Miki call. Mel in her excitement was holding the carrier in an awkward position and swinging it around.

"Mel, hand me the animal carrier carefully. You're scaring Miki,” I said calmly.

“Miki?”

“She’s my familiar. It’s a long story. Where’s Eric?”

Mel got this puzzled look. “A familiar?”

“I’ll explain it later. Just take it she’s a friend, and I want you to meet her. Spill, Mel, where’s your brother?”

“He’s out back shooting hoops.”

“I was; I’m not now,” Eric said running up to us.

He was wearing baggy shorts, tennis shoes and a very sweaty T-shirt. There was a gentle breeze blowing from Eric towards us, and I caught his scent. The impact on my senses was immediate. I wanted to jump him here on the lawn, immediately, sister or not. I could tell he was glad to see me, VERY glad despite the baggy shorts.

“Let’s go inside. You two can meet Miki, and then Eric and I can have a long talk with your mom. Thanks for being honest with her, Eric. You’re not in any trouble, but we need to set some rules,” I said smiling and feeling so good it was criminal.

“Joanie, what did you say Miki was, a familiar?”

“I, well, the experts at Whateley think I’m a sorceress. I may be able to use magic, and Miki here was the familiar or helper to a sorceress from India long ago. Miki is my helper now. She’s very clever. Want to meet her, Mel, Eric?”

We stepped onto the porch of the grand Victorian mansion and sat down, I let Miki out and she climbed onto my lap.

"Miki, this pretty young lady is Melissa or Mel as she prefers and the young man is…”

~~Your mate, I recognize his musk. I can see your aura flashing again; you love this Eric intensely. May I?~~

I nodded and Miki walked carefully to Eric and sniffed him. Eric gently petted her. Soon her rump was high in the air, her tail up and she made an odd cooing, meowing sound. I found myself becoming aroused, more so than I could ever remember. I was on the verge of ripping off my clothes; Eric was my sole reason for existence. I needed him more than food or air. I felt like an animal; I was driven by a primal urge. I needed his seed... I fought to stay in control and I sensed confusion and embarrassment. Miki moved over to Mel, sniffed her and crawled on her lap. Miki was mortified at her behavior. I realized what must have happened. We had had a female cat we didn’t have *fixed*, and I suspected what Miki’s behavior was. I’ve seen lots of nature documentaries, folks.

~~Miki, was that what I think it was? Were you assuming the position of a willing female in heat?~~

~~Forgive me. His musk should not have affected me, but I was smelling him, *seeing* him through your mind and… How can you stand to be so close and not submit to him?~~

~~Because I love him, and I want him to finish growing first. This waiting hurts as I do desire him so. But I must wait until he can legally accept what I long to offer him.~~

“Why did Miki act so odd?” Mel asked.

“She’s my familiar. It means she’s bonded to me: we can *hear* each others thoughts. We also feel each other’s emotions. Miki picked up on my feelings for Eric, and it overwhelmed her. Because we are linked, it fed back into me. Now you know why I need to talk with you two and Babs.”

“J-Joanie, you want to have s-sex with me? I know what it means when an animal does *that*. I know you love me, but I didn’t know you felt that way.”

“Eric, you’re forgetting Easter evening, and I talked with your mom about that. I know you feel the same. It’s okay to feel that way. It’s wrong for us to act on it until you are an adult, but it’s not wrong to imagine. Eric, if it wasn’t illegal and unethical for me to be with you, I’d be begging you for it. Don’t look at us like that, Mel. If your mom and dad didn’t feel like that you wouldn’t have been born. Then there are the twins on the way… They didn’t come from nowhere.”

“I know I’m supposed to say, ‘Yuck, my parents have sex?’ but that is so romantic! But you and my brother? Double yuck!” she said and giggled.

“Sis!”

“Yeah, Mel, don’t tease my future husband. We better see your mom and dad.”

“Husband?” Eric gasped.

“It’s a few years in the future, but I think so. What do you think?”

Eric smiled. “I like the sound of that, Joanie. I’d give you a hug, but I’m all sweaty. I must stink real bad.”

“Eric, you smell heavenly to me, but you could use a shower.” ~~A shower would be lovely. Hot water massaging us as we soap each other, our hands sliding all over our naked… Fight the urge to shower with him, Joanie. You don’t want to go to Alcatraz.~~ “Don’t take too long though; we do need to talk with your mom and dad. It’s important.”

“Yeah, Joanie, Mom and Dad said it's important we talk this out. Mom’s at home, but Dad’s gone again. He’s at another fund raiser for the party. He has to go because he’s Governor, and he’s expected. I know he’d love to beg off for Mom’s sake, but she understands. She misses him when he’s gone, but you’ll cheer her up. Thanks for calling her; she was feeling down, but your calls made her feel better.” He rushed off for a quick shower while Mel and I played with Miki for a few minutes.

* * * *

I placed Miki back in her carrier. Mel treated her carrier like it was the most delicate thing imaginable, much to Miki’s relief and mine. We met Babs in a sitting room. She began to get up, but I stopped her gently. Eric came in right after us.

“Babs, Sis, you don’t need to get up for me unless you want to. I… want you to be comfortable while we have that talk Eric and I need. Sara read me the riot act and then some; I’m angry with her. I don’t want to be; it’s more of an emotional reaction than a rational one. It took guts and love for her to say those things to me. It hurt, but in my heart I know she spoke the truth.”

“She called me this evening, twice. She was crying the first time; she’d hurt you so badly she was afraid you hated her. After you brought her the flowers and called her Mom, she called me again. She told me to say she’s sorry and forgives you for how you reacted at first. She was very harsh and regrets it,” Babs explained.

“I deserved it; my Ghod, I was moments away from seducing Eric, let’s be blunt, having intercourse — sex — with him on Easter. I know it. We need to set guidelines to avoid that. I trust Eric, but I’m not sure I trust me in his presence.”

“I better go, you need your privacy.”

“Please stay, Mel. I… we need you to help be our conscience. You can remind us if we get too frisky. It’s a lot to ask, but you’re a mature young lady. I wouldn’t ask if I didn’t think you were up to it. Think of the fun you can have. I’m giving you license to be a pest to your brother and me.”

“That could be fun. Okay, I’ll do it,” Mel replied then grinned happily.

“Thanks, Mel. Babs, help Eric and me set up some sensible rules. You know what situations are likely to get our motors running.”

* * * *

“We simply must not get in situations where we are completely unsupervised. It’s that, or we stop seeing each other.”

“You’re breaking up with me, Joanie?” Eric sounded hurt.

“No, Eric, I am trying my damnedest to prevent that. But if we can’t find a way to keep our relationship on the up-and-up, we will have to break-up. I’ll not risk ruining your life because I can’t keep out of your trousers,’ I said and giggled nervously.

Eric stared at me, his mouth hanging open. Mel was halfway between laughing and shock.

“I don’t believe I said that, but I did didn’t I? It’s the truth, though I stated it crudely. Eric, I met you less than nine months ago; I don’t think in all that time we’ve spent more than 24 hours together. Add on the phone calls it’s still less than two days. Despite that, I *know* you are the one, and it scares me.

“When I met you, I’d been a woman for two months; I still have so much to learn even now. That I find myself irresistibly drawn to you is a source of joy and of fear.

“How can I explain it? Eric, I feel joy because in you I have found someone who makes me complete, someone I want to raise a family with. I also feel fear -- fear for your safety and that of your family; I put you and yours at risk by our closeness. My enemies may choose to get to me by hurting you. I fear that you will grow old and die but I won’t. My greatest fear is that I am being selfish in believing I deserve your love, Eric. Who am I to manipulate an impressionable young man into being my lover against his best interests?”

“That’s a lie! I love you, and you’ve done nothing to manipulate me. Knowing you has been nothing but good for me -- ask Mom, ask Mel. If it wasn’t for you, she’d be dead. I’d love you for that alone. Don’t you dare say you’re bad for me!”

“I know that, but that voice of doubt, that shy, unsure remnant of my previous life cannot accept my good fortune and is looking for the cloud surrounding the silver lining. Can you understand?” I asked. I moved next to him and hugged him as if I’d never see him again. ~~Hum, Eric uses Dial soap? It never smelled this good before, but then he smelled good sweaty… Joanie, you're obsessing about him, again.~~

We spent a good hour talking about Eric and me, and how to keep our relationship alive, but chaste. Mel contributed several good ideas, the smart girl. Finally, Babs had to ask about my animal carrier. I think Mel opening it and sticking her hand in there every so often got her attention.

“Mel, honey, what’s in the bag?”

“This is Miki; she’s Joanie’s familiar, and she’s sweet.”

“Familiar?”

“Let Miki out,” I said.

~~Miki, say hello to my friends.~~

“Greetings, friends,” Miki squeaked and bowed. Mel giggled, Eric looked on astonished, and Babs' face lit up in a huge grin.

“I knew magic was real! I knew it! You promise to treat Joanie well, Miki. Joanie is like a sister to me and to my children …”

“Love Joanie, always,” Miki struggled to say.

~~Thank you, you don’t need to speak that way anymore. I know it’s not easy.~~

“Miki has trained sorceresses for a long time. I saw her at the burial of her last mistress during one of my time trips. That was in 1858. Miki is special even for a familiar. She told me her most important duties were to guard her mistress's family and to be a friend and teacher to her mistress's children.”

“My god, it’s mini Lassie!”

“Babs!” I shouted then broke out in giggles.

~~Joanie, what does she mean?~~

~~ Babs was being silly, but in a complementary way. Lassie is a heroine dog in fiction. She was brave, smart, loyal, and very attractive. In Scotland a lassie is a young woman, usually a good—looking one.~~ I wasn’t about to tell Miki that the TV Lassie was a canine cross-dresser.

“Babs, Mel, can I have some time with Eric -- alone please? You and Mel can play with Miki. She likes toilet tissue rolls. If you throw one for her to pounce on, I bet she’d be your friend.”

“Can I, Mom? Please?”

~~Please?~~ Miki sent me and assumed a begging position.

“Okay. Mel, get a roll from the linen closet, We’d best do this in the hallway,” said Babs.

“Thank you!” Mel and Miki squealed together.

* * * *

Eric and I talked as we heard the sounds of occasional girlish squeals — in two distinct ranges of pitch -- and of furry feet and claws scurrying on the wood floor. I imagine Miki made some squeaks, yips and the like, but Mel and Babs were too loud for me to hear her over them. Babs may be 35 and a pregnant mother, but the little girl in her is alive and thriving. ~~No wonder she sees me as her sister.~~ I did sense Miki was having a great time playing. Eric and I sat together on a couch holding hands.

“Eric, this is hard for me. I want you to respect me. I want to show my respect for you. That can’t be if I act like a nymphomaniac who wants nothing but sex from you. Believe me, I want to do that with you, but not until you’re an adult.”

“I’m happy just holding your hand and talking. My friends at school keep saying how lucky I was to go to the dance with you and that we’re friends. We’re more than friends, right?”

“Eric, I think we’re soul-mates. It means our personalities, desires, and well, everything, match so closely we’re like two halves of a puzzle. Apart, we’re incomplete; together, we’re something special. I’m not saying this well, I…”

“Joanie, stop talking.”

“Huh? What do you… mmmmmmm… Where did that come from? Not that I’m complaining.”

“Is that better, Joanie? And all we did was hold hands and kiss, nothing else. See, Joanie, we can do it. It will be fun. I want to know you first; I want to know your mind. From what you’ve told me, your body will be exactly as it is no matter how long we have to wait. Let’s get to know each other as people; it will make getting to know each other as a man and a woman all the better,” Eric said and gave me a hug.

“How did you get so damned mature? I’ll wait. Um, Eric, may I have another kiss to tide me over?”

~~ This is bliss. Don’t let it end.~~ I could have stayed in his arms forever, but we had to break it off to avoid a repeat of Easter night.

“Joanie, this will work out. We kissed twice and held hands but kept in control. Good things are worth waiting for. I know, tell me more about how you met Miki. She’s important to you, so that makes her important to me.”

“You’ve got it, Eric, and thanks for putting up with this confused girl. I promise I’ll make it up to you someday.” We sat next to each other and quietly talked; the feral beast that was our desire *domesticated*, I hoped.

* * * *

“Ms. Brown, there is an important video conference call for you; Ms. Johnson will meet you in the Media room,” one of the Governor’s aides said to Eric and me.

“Please, call me Joanie, everyone else does.”

“I must decline. I was not raised that way and to me it feels improper to do so. Given names are for family or close friends. I am not a close acquaintance or family member, so it would be wrong for me to presume. I apologize if I sound pompous; it is not my intent. I also assist the Governor in matters of protocol.”

“Joanie doesn’t mean anything by it, Ms. Jenkins; it’s the way she is.”

“Thanks, Eric, but Ms. Jenkins is right. Not everyone is comfortable with being as informal as I. Since she is involved with matters of protocol, I understand why she errs on the side of formality. Eric, imagine if the Queen of England was visiting your dad and I walked up and said, ‘Hey, Lizzi babe, how’s it hanging? Are you and Phil still doing the nasty?’ Your dad would know I was joking, but I imagine the Queen would be offended. I’m sorry, Ms. Jenkins. I prefer to be informal, it’s my nature, but if you are not comfortable, I understand. I’m afraid the seventeen year-old girl in me dominates my personality. Please inform Mrs. Johnson I’ll be with her shortly.”

“Of course, Ms. Brown, and thank you,” she said, and left.

Eric and I walked into the corridor where we saw Mel and Miki waiting for us. Though they’d cleaned things up, there remained visible evidence of a life-and-death struggle between mongoose and toilet tissue.

~~The poor tissue never had a chance, sob!~~ I thought, then I *heard* a certain animal giggle in my mind.

“Eric, can you and Mel keep an eye on Miki? I don’t know how long this call will be. I do want to spend more time with you all. I‘ve got to go.” I gave Mel a quick hug and kiss and then the same for Eric. I skipped my way to the Media room, and I do mean skipped.

~~Ghod, I LOVE being a girl!~~

* * * *

“Mrs. Williams-Johnson, Ms. Joan Brown, I’m Dr. O’Mara from Kahului, Maui in the State of Hawaii. I believe you both know Dr. Sara Grobschmit-Taylor from Madison, Wisconsin, and Ms. Elizabeth Carson from Dunwich, New Hampshire. Joanie, I need a BIG favor from you. I wouldn’t ask but you are essential for a safe resolution of the problem.”

“Joanie, I hate to cut your visit short, but an emergency has arisen. I need you to fly to Maui, Hawaii, and escort a new mutant to Whateley,” said Ms. Carson.

“I’ll ask the obvious question: Why me, Ms. Carson? Surely there are others who could chaperon the child?”

~~Gee, nice verbiage Ms. Noah-speaka-dey-englease Webster. Ghods, I said *surely* in front of Sara of all people -- I’m doomed.~~

“I’ll explain, dear,” said Dr Sara. I noticed her eyes were a little puffy, and the expression on her face would put a hurting puppy to shame. “The patient is a young girl whose mutation manifested shortly before her thirteenth birthday. In the eight weeks that have passed, she’s proven a difficult case. The situation in her community is not ideal, and the community — Hana — does not have the facilities for her needs as a mutant. It’s quite remote.”

I broke up in giggles.

“Remote? Hana? I’ve been there, once, as J … as my old self, and remote is an understatement. It may be just fifty miles from Kahului and the main airport for Maui, but that road is a scenic nightmare. I mean, not that many miles after Hana is where Lindberg moved to get away from the press and all that publicity.”

“I didn’t know you’d been there. That’s another point in your favor,” said Dr. O’Mara, a friendly smile forming on her forty-something mixed Asian/Hawaiian/Celtic face. “Let me fill you in on the child’s situation so you know why we are all asking you help us. Before I go on, it’s a pleasure to meet you, Ms. Brown. My daughter has your CDs and plays them all the time. Frankly, I’m sick of it.”

I giggled and laughed, which got a similar response from the charming doctor.

“You were right, ladies, Joanie can take a joke. Joanie, if I may call you that …”

“I prefer it, and you prefer?”

“Maureen.”

“Maureen O‘Mara? Do any films with John Wayne? …Excuse me!” I exclaimed. I ran, giggling uncontrollably, to the ladies room to keep from wetting myself.

* * * *

“Sorry I had to leave abruptly. I apologize for the silly schoolgirl routine, but look at this body. As they say, when in Rome… sorry again. Doctors, and Ms. Carson, let’s cut to the chase, shall we? Why me?”

“Leah Haleakala’s mutation seemed normal at first. She did suffer a severe burnout, but prompt treatment by her EMTs with ice, salt and metabolic inhibitors saved her. Dr. Sara’s treatment of the twins and your water rescue, Joanie, of that girl in April got wide coverage in the on-line and print medical journals. The lesson that cold is a powerful tool for control a burnout was not lost on us. It’s fair to say she owes her life to you ladies, Dr. Sara, Joanie.

Once stabilized, Leah was flown by helicopter to Pearl Harbor where Hawaii has its only major center for mutants. I kept in frequent contact with her doctors there during her evacuation and flew out on the next available flight to offer my assistance. She recovered quickly, and as she had no significant mutant abilities we sent her home after a couple weeks’,” Dr. Maureen explained.

“I still need to ask -- why me? Leah sounds like a minor case, other than the severity of the burnout. That confuses me, as it often indicates a person will get serious mutant powers.”

“That is precisely why we need you, Joanie. Her powers are the reason why we must have your help,” Dr Maureen said. “Her powers took a while to kick in, so we didn’t realize the danger she would be exposed to. Other than a moderate exemplar effect, she seemed normal. That and the strawberry blonde hair and bright green eyes on her otherwise Eurasian body were a surprise, but contacts and hair dye could have fixed that.”

~~Strawberry blonde hair and green eyes? Oh oh!~~

“Her powers kicked in three days ago. She has something akin to your time stop, Joanie, but her control is erratic at best.”

“You’re hoping I can teach her control. It’s possible, but why the rush? Ah… she can’t help using it when she is frightened. I take it she has used it and at an inopportune moment?” I asked.

“Her exemplar gifts make her look older and more alluring than before. Leah was a cute girl; she has the body of a stunning female now. She looks more like a college coed than a thirteen year-old. She is very beautiful, but is not anywhere near to being able to handle the natural side-effects of that body. Some older boys hit on her thinking she was of age and went too far. They are being held in jail under sexual assault charges. In her panic she time stopped them and ran away. That likely saved her from being raped; unfortunately several people saw this, and one was an anti-mutant sympathizer.

“He got the word out. He claims she is a child predator, and she used her mutant powers to corrupt the *innocent* boys. There was a confrontation at her school the next day and several people got hurt. She was terrified and time stopped some people again as she ran home. The local jerks called in outside trouble makers and the situation is tense. We need to get her out safely, and you are our best hope, Joanie,” the exotic doctor pleaded.

“You can’t fly her out for fear she’ll have a panic attack and time stop the helicopter?” I offered.

“Exactly, we could try a convoy, but the road is fifty miles of hairpins and frequent single-lane-one-way sections. We could drug her, but she is a moderate regen and the drugs wear off fast; a partially disoriented Leah would be a nightmare. Fortunately, Leah is a fan of yours, Joanie, and we believe that will make the difference.”

“Leah’s a fan of mine?”

“I *think* so. Let me explain. While she was under my care, all she ever wanted to talk about was you, her friends in your fan club and I quote, ‘will I have cool mutant powers like Joanie?’ end quote. She’s a sweet girl. I don’t want to see her get hurt.”

“There is something you’re not telling me, Maureen.”

“Joanie, hon, I was called in on this because tests of Leah’s blood showed break down residues of the Ultra-X-Amine homolog used on your three friends in Wisconsin. The chemical is so unstable and hard to detect, it took this long to be certain. The investigation tracking the Wisconsin group suggested the criminal experimenters were in Vancouver, British Columbia, recently.

They must have moved on to Hawaii and decided it was safe to start up their experiments again. Suspicious individuals have been spotted in or around Hana, and they are not known or suspected anti-mutants or Hawaii for Hawaiians activists. The local police have help from the State police, but they are overwhelmed. The situation is escalating dangerously,” my Sara explained.

“Those bastards are at it again, Sara?” I was fast becoming furious. “I just saw some of their *handiwork* today in the broken body of my friends’ mother. I’m in. These people are a threat to Suzy’s family as well. Don’t worry, I’ll behave myself, but if I can do anything to stop these killers you’ve got it.”

“Suzy?” asked Dr O ‘Mara.

“The girl I rescued in that cold, cold water. I, well, she’s a blood relative. Her mom’s my cousin, so you can see why I want to help. Please don’t repeat this.”

“I’m sworn to protect my patients' confidences, and I know of Whateley’s reputation. I’m not inclined to piss-off hundreds of mutant supers. It’s not healthy.”

“Okay, ladies, what do we do next?”

* * * *

Arrangements were made to divert my charter to O’Hare, where I would board a direct commercial flight to Honolulu. It was the quickest way to get me there. My charter would fly on to Madison, and several of my MSG pals, likely Red and Gin, would escort the twins back to Whateley, as I would be delayed by the Hawaii trip. I would be escorted by members of the Hawaiian State police and Army National Guard helicopters would fly us to Maui to effect Leah’s rescue. There was a chance I might even get to spend some time on a beach, and I didn’t have a thing to wear.

~~Oooh, I wonder if they have any nude beaches. Could be fun,~~

I called in my ace-in-the-hole once we’d worked out most of the details.

“Ladies, this is Melissa Johnson, Babs' daughter and my dear friend. She is also the president of my fan club.

“Mel, that’s my dear Dr. Sara. The nice lady over there is Ms. Carson, she’s my boss, and the other lady is Dr. O ‘Mara. They want me to go to Hawaii and bring a frightened girl safely to Whateley. Does the name Leah Haleakala of Hana, Maui, sound familiar? “

Mel’s eyes lit up, and she grinned. “Leah? Sure, she’s a regular in our chat room. I haven’t heard much from her in recent weeks. She did say she’d been ill and would tell us about it someday. What’s wrong?”

“Leah is a victim of the same creeps who drugged my Wisconsin friends. She’s now a mutant, and she’s in danger. Her doctor, Ms. O’Mara, wants me to go to Hawaii and get her out. My friends here think a friendly face would help. Can you get a message to her?”

“I could send her a PM — that’s a private message. We use encryption — that’s a tough word to say -- so we can keep things private. You have to be a registered club member to read our messages. What should I say to Leah?”

“She needs cheering up, and she needs to be ready to move out, fast. A telephone call is risky; the phone line could be tapped. Send her a message saying a good friend of yours is coming to help her and for her to be careful until then.”

“Joanie, come with me,” Mel said, grinned and grabbed my hand. She was eager to help me.

“Sorry, ladies, duty calls.”

“Joanie, hold on for a moment. Your ticket for the flight to Hawaii will be waiting for you at the airline check-in desk at O’Hare International. We’ll send Babs all the details of your itinerary before you leave. And good luck, Joanie.”

“It’s my pleasure, Dr O’Mara, Ms. Carson, Sara. One last thing, ladies, I need two tickets to Hawaii, adjacent seats, please. Sara would you be a dear and explain to them about my furry stowaway, Miki? And, Sara… I love you.”

I blew her a kiss and was met by shocked expressions on the other teleconferenced faces. Ms. Carson’s soon looked like she was about to break into laughter, but she knew about Miki from Circe and Dr. Tenant. They had told me they had to inform Administration why I’d be keeping yet another animal in my dorm. I left the room with Mel. I think Sara was crying again as I looked back. Babs gave me a thumbs up.

* * * *

“Okay, we’re online. Let me see if Leah is on too. Yeah! She’s on. See, Leah_1994 is in the chat room.”

‘Leah_1994, this is Iowa_Mel_10, can you talk?’

‘Mel, thank god. Bad things are happening, I’m scared.’

‘Leah, a VERY GOOD friend I met in Prairie Du Chein last Labor Day is next to me; she has a message. I’m turning on my web camera and microphone so you can see and hear her.’

“Go ahead, Joanie.”

‘Leah, this is Joanie. Your Dr. O‘Mara asked me to help you so I am. Please be brave for a little while longer, girl. I’m coming to get you out — in person. It will take time to fly there, but I should be with you in less than a day. Be safe and do what the police say. The people who started all your troubles hurt friends of mine. That makes you family in my eyes, so be brave, cousin.’

‘Are you really her? You look and sound like Joanie, and I can see Mel beside you. I do know what she looks like from our chats.’

‘I was kissing Mel’s brother an hour ago. He looks even better than at the dance.’

‘She sure was. It was embarrassing watching my brother carry on like that. I made sure they behaved.’

I giggled.

‘You’re that Joanie alright. That giggle and smile are all the proof I need. Thanks for helping me. I’d better go. Be careful, Joanie, people have tried to shoot at our house. I’ll be brave. Mel, tell your brother to be nice to Joanie.’

‘I’m on my way, Leah. Have a small bag packed with your most important possessions and a change of clothes ready. I hear you got some way kewl powers, kinda like mine. I help you learn to control them if you want. See you soon.’

* * * *

We signed off, and I prepared to leave despite my burning desire to stay in Iowa.

“Thanks, Mel. Check frequently and let your mom know if you get any more messages from Leah. She can forward them to me. This is an important job, Mel; can I count on you?”

“You bet. Thanks for letting me play with Miki; she’s funny.”

”I like you, too, Mel.” I hugged her and hurried to gather my stuff together.

* * * *

“Let me help you.”

“That’s not necessary, Eric.”

“I want to. I wish we’d had longer.”

“I plan on coming in June. As long as we play by the rules, we should be fine. We need to be a bit less touchy-feely. It’s for the best. You get the time to finish school, and I get the time to learn control. Be good for me, Eric, and I’ll give you a special present for your 18th birthday. You’ll like it, I’m sure.” I wet my lips and ran my hands along my sides.

“Joanie! I… a…”

“Now you know how I feel. Be good. It’s not that long to wait.

“Miki, we have a plane to catch.”

To be continued.

up
126 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice

Joanie is still fun to read about. My only complaints are the chapters are too short and don't come fast enough! :)

I cheat......

I read the sneak peek that John posts in The Crystal Hall, "Great Story John."
It's all good!

OMG," its full of Stars

Open the pod doors Hal.

Konichiwa

Thanks, It's fun for me

Glad both of you liked it.

It's going to slow down as the backlog is used up now. The new posts are coming out at about one per month at aprox 25 to 35 pages. I have T4, chpt 6 in proof, a cute short George and Gracie story -- BornFreeTime -- I assisted Rose_2 with that will get a pass by Janet soon and part one of a three part Glacier Girl side story to Timeout that are finished and just need cleanup.

I have lots of ideas but I type slow and I don't want to cause brain damage to my proofers. Poor Itinerant is drolling already and has this alarming nervous twitch.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Miss July

I just learned that in the "real world" (TM) Miss July became Playmate of the Year 2007. She's called Sarah, not Joanie but I still wonder if our author John is going to copy this :D

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Is she a strawberry blonde?

Kimby,

Whateley is in an alternative universe, I think. Yes it is.

Talk about your parallels, though. It could happen. The difficulty is Joanie could not do all the promotional appearances they would want but ... Hum? Sarah, drop the h, Sara. This gets more interesting by the minute.

Darn, MORE stuff to type. Curse you, Kimby. Now you got my muse going.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Mayday!

A call for help from Hawaii. A couple of generations ago we would call out "Mayday" when we were in a critical, distressed condition, so it is appropriate that I read Joanie recieves a request for help even though it is Cinco de Mayo and not May 1. :)
Boy, John ( or should that be "Johnboy" :) ), you have a wonderful story going. I am impressed that Joanie just keeps discovering additional powers. I think it is wonderful that Miki has found a new mistress after 150 years of lonliness. At first, I was going to accuse you of something as I related the mongoose Miki to a similar character, "Riki Tiki Tavi".
Thank you for posting it, and I additionally thank Erin for providing the space. This is one of the good stories.
Bab's character seems to be evolving. She seems less and less a The sophisticated Governor's wife and mature mother figure as the story progresses. Other than that the characters all seem to work pretty smoothly in this saga. You say you have the storyline sketched out for many more chapters. Would I be out of line to ask for a synopsis?

I could put it up but then I would have to ...

It's not set in stone and has changed but there is a general plot line. Is just these interesting sidelines keep popping up and distract me.

Okay, very quick, vague and simplified.

Long range, she becomes closer to the Johnsons and gets secretly enguaged to Eric. She puts Pinky thorugh college possibly with help from another authors fan fic character. She is the favorite *aunt* to Babs twins and eventually has some kids of her own. All the while she is teaching and learning at Whateley and getting in and out of trouble. By the time of their marage Joanie is proably the most recognizable mutant on Earth -- too many awards including Grammys and Oscars and such. So much for keeping a low profile.

Short term, Post Hawaii, Sabers enter interscholastic school band competition. School ends for spring, Joanie takes Suzy to vist parents/grand parents. The farm project is a running back story as is Miki, The Sabers and the whole Pinky saga.

Joanie vists Iowa first 2 weeks June. Some where early summer she meets another fan fic author's character in part due to the farm. Last 2 weeks is Wales and Dr Who filming and saving the world super hero stuff while singing with Charlotte Church. -- No I am not making this up, yes I am as I am the author -- The hero bit embarasses her no end. The Sabers cut a record for fun and it does REAL well. Summer school stories inclding her timetravel field trip course dominate July/August.

Late summer is Babs giving birth, Joanie *buying* two very rare aircraft, her charter getting shot down and she's reported as dead. This incident realy pisses her off. She organises a new Faculty member's formal welcome to Whateley and gets to show off in more than one way thanks to Mr. Hefner but then the ears and tail suit her.

And so on.

It's constantly in flux but certain way-points are fairly set in stone. Oh if I ever get that far, she give bith in the Williams new temporay Home 1600 Pennsyvaiian Ave. The Johnson's have done well too.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

oh wow

I never imagined that John would let us see his planning. Joanie giving birth at 1600 ? That's going to go over real well with the anti-mutant groups...

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Nothing is set in stone, but

The goals shift around but the genereal concept doesn't change.

Mind you mush, I mean muck, I man much.. oh hell LOTS of the stuff WAYOUT in the future was written before Pinky Conners and the smilodons and The Sabers and such. Heck, Eric and Joanie's romance kind of snuck up on me but then I'm a sucker for love-at-first sight/child-hood sweethearts and let's face it, she is a 49 year-old child in many ways. Early on it looked like she would settle down with Carrie, Dr. Sara's lovely mutant daughter.

She will have disapointments too. Not being there when her father dies, a terrible misunderstanding with Eric that nearly breaks them up - not either's fault I might add --trying hard to save some accident victims lives but in vain, surving a crash that others do not, that sort of thing.

Oh, don't worry, her enemies try various ways to kill, kidnap, asault her and nearly suceed several times. There is a favorite scene I wrote way back that has her saving her own daughters and husband after they are all shot in a botched kidnaping. Whether it ever sees the light of day I don't know, but it is fun to imagine, "what if?"

The summer of 2007 will be *interesting* for Joanie.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Alien invasion

I almost asked you when she would be the keyplayer in stopping the 'mandatory' alien invasion of Earth, but in this universe I guess that task would be for Tennyo. ;)

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby