The Pregnant Boy -7- Guarantee

Printer-friendly version

They ate lunch at Red Brick Pizza in the outdoor mall. A large Hawaiian special fed the five of them easily, though Justin surprised everyone by eating three pieces.

"Well, I sort of didn't have breakfast," he explained when Jenn commented.

The Pregnant Boy

by Erin Halfelven

 

Carmine picked the Canadian bacon off the twelfth slice, Justin took the pineapple and Shabeez ate a few of the cashews. "I get it," she said. "Macadamia nuts, the cashews are instead of macadamias which are too expensive."

Ell agreed. "You're probably right, everyone says macadamias taste like cashews. Why else put them on an Hawaiian pizza?"

Justin started on the cashews Shabeez had not eaten. "They are good," he said.

"Jeez, Juice, you tryna get fat?" asked Carmine.

"I've never seen you eat so much," said Jenn.

"Well, I'm hungry," said Justin, prying up a bit of cheese with the last cashew. He popped the now-cold morsel in his mouth and made an apologetic face.

"You can't be a model if you can't control your appetite," said Ell.

"I heard a lot of models 'control their appetite' the way Juice was doing this morning," said Carmine.

"Huh?" said Shabeez.

"By throwing up on purpose," explained Ell. "And that's not healthy."

"I didn't do it on purpose," Justin protested. "I've just been kinda sick the last few days."

Carmine nodded. "Yeah, but only in the morning," she said, smirking.

"Maybe she is pregnant," said Shabeez, staring at him.

Justin frowned but didn't eat the last piece of cheese he had snagged.

* * *

They traipsed the length and width of the Plaza, looking in shop windows and talking about school, television, boys, clothes, parents, movies, shopping, boys, fashion, food, friends and boys.

Ell felt that boys her own age had one great failing, they were all short and had no sense of fashion. Carmine thought that boys at school were dull and boring and that boys who weren't in school were stupid and boring. Also that Ell was math-impaired.

Jenn thought her dad might be planning to ask one of her teachers out on a date. Which would be terrible unless it helped her out in English. Shabeez wanted to buy something, almost anything, but nothing here. Did everyone have enough money to go to the beach, instead? No one admitted to having that much.

Juice thought that all the movies being offered in the theater had either already been seen by someone they knew and gotten bad word-of-mouth or did not look at all interesting. And did getting your ears pierced really hurt bad?

"What did you say?" asked Jenn.

"Nemmine," said Juice.

"Hey," said Ell. "Juice is the only one of us that doesn't have pierced ears!"

"It hurts like a bitch," said Carmine who had five holes in each ear. "Oh, yeah." She made a face and nodded.

"You're supposed to go like this," said Shabeez, wagging her head shoulder to shoulder.

"As if," said Carmine, apparently having forgotten about the earlier plan to wag their heads instead of nodding for yes.

"Oh, yeah!" said Shabeez, her enthusiasm for the idea returning.

"Shall we get Juice's ears pierced?" asked Ell.

"Oh, yeah!" said Shabeez, wagging her head again.

"Sure," said Carmine. "The Juicester's ears can't stay virgin now."

Jenn looked appalled. "Do you even think about what you're going to say before you open your mouth?" she asked Carmine.

"No. Why?" Carmine asked, pretending to be innocent.

"I can't get my ears pierced," said Juice, putting a hand on one of them.

"Why not?" asked Ell. "Even most of the boys at school have pierced ears."

"Pete does, and Vince has one pierced ear," said Carmine.

"Oh, yeah," said Shabeez, still wagging her head and now giggling. "This kinda makes me dizzy."

"Redundant," said Jenn looking at Shabeez.

"Don't you have to get your parents permission to get anything pierced?" said Juice.

"Not earlobes," said Ell.

"My dad got one ear pierced," said Jenn. "He wanted to be more sexy since he just turned thirty-nine. But he thought he might have gotten the wrong one done so he had the other one pierced, too."

Juice blinked. "Which one does he wear something in?"

Carmine said, "The wrong one, probably."

Jenn laughed. "He couldn't figure that out so he wears flesh-colored studs in both ears."

"You could do that," said Ell to Juice. "I mean, when you're not out with us."

"I had a flesh-colored stud once," said Shabeez.

"What color was the rest of him?" asked Carmine.

"No," said Shabeez. "I mean an ear stud, it was all pink or beige or something, like you guys. It looked cute on me but one of my white cousins borrowed it and I never saw it again."

Everyone else laughed, so Shabeez did too, looking a little puzzled.

"It's not your fault," said Carmine, "your mom was blonde, wasn't she?"

"I'm blonde, too, my dad says," said Shabeez. "It just doesn't show 'cause I've got black hair."

They all laughed at that one so hard they had to go sit in the chairs under the umbrellas in the middle of the Plaza.

"Us blondes got to stick together," said Ell, nodding to Juice and Shabeez on either side of her.

"Wanna be an honorary ginger?" Jenn offered to Carmine.

Carmine grinned, "In Spanish, it's all the same, redheads and blondes are both, las gueras. Basically, any color hair that isn't black or dark brown. Real blondes are las rubias."

"I like that better, it sounds like rubies," said Jenn. "Las Rubias. That's the name of our posse."

"No," said Carmine. "Rubies would be los rubis."

"Cool," said Shabeez. "Then we each wear something with a ruby and -- either way!" She wagged her head with enthusiasm.

"That's not right" said Carmine. "But what the heck. I always wanted to be a blonde goth."

* * *

Having exhausted the delights of Riverside Plaza for the moment the five friends boarded an RTA bus for the trip to the Galleria on the southwest edge of town. The bus wasn't crowded on a holiday and they could sit where they liked. Jenn made a point of sitting away from the sunny windows.

"It's hot and I can't take that much sun," she said.

"Hope you wore sunscreen," said Ell, "I got some in my bag if you didn't."

"I did but it wears off. I brought some to put on when we visit the bathroom."

This had been the original reason for buying the girlie hat for Justin earlier in the summer, so he could go to the restroom with the girls and no one would be the wiser. Justin remembered that they had bought him the hat at the July Fourth Carnival, the week before his first date with Zoe.

Shabeez squirmed in her seat. "I wish you hadn't said that, now I gotta go."

Carmine shook a finger at her. "Should of thought of that before we got on the bus, mija," she said in a deepened voice. "Now you'll just have to hold it and not think of fountains or rivers or lakes."

"Shut up," said Shabeez.

Ell shook her head at Carmine and Jenn changed the subject but as soon as the bus pulled up to the Galleria, the whole posse made straight for the restrooms. Ell snagged Juice before he forgot and headed for the wrong one.

After various business had been taken care of, including reapplication of sunscreen, Justin lingered in front of the mirror examining the fit of his hat and looking at his earlobes. Carmine came up to him brandishing a lipstick and said, "Hold still, mija, I want to try this on you."

He held still and followed directions as she applied the lip color and had him blot it on a paper towel. "What do you think?" she asked.

"Too dark," said Ell. "Here, I've got one she can use."

After removing the darker color, Justin let Ell apply the bright, frosted pink color. Everyone admired the effect.

"That's really cute on you," said Jenn.

Justin tried the middle school smile in the mirror and it was a very cute effect, everyone laughed.

"It's too bright for me," said Ell, "for daytime. You can have that one, Juice." She unzipped his belt pack and slipped the silvery tube inside.

"Wait," said Justin.

"Hey," called Shabeez from the door. "They've got free ear piercing at Claire's with purchase of a starter kit. That's like, simple studs and the solution to keep them clean, till it heals," she added for Justin's benefit.

"I dunno," he said.

"Oh, c'mon, don't be a baby," said Carmine.

"You wanna be in the posse, don't you?" asked Shabeez.

"I guarantee it won't hurt at all," said Ell.

Jenn rolled her eyes. "Peer pressure," she said and everyone laughed again.

up
271 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I'm enjoying this story

Looking forward to seeing where it's going.

Me, too. :)

erin's picture

And thanks for the translation help. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

The Pregnant Boy -7- Guarantee

Well, at least Juice is very popular with these girls.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

He's the little sister

erin's picture

He's the little sister for the group, to be teased and spoiled, apparently. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Carmine...

...gave the impression at the end of the last chapter that she knew what was going on, and I was expecting more of a follow-up here.

I still suspect she knows more about what's happening to Juice than anyone else here, Juice included, but now it seems less likely that we'll learn anything soon.

Eric

Know-it-alls

erin's picture

Carmine likes to be a know-it-all but that doesn't necessarily mean that she does. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

So she is a typical teen?

Raff01's picture

Thinks she knows it all and won't accept that she doesn't?

Been in many augments with a friends niece who just turned 14 and I can bring fact, written fact to the fight an she wont believe me.

That's about right

erin's picture

These girls are fifteen, so they've had some practice. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Isn't the usual idea ...

... for business to employ teenagers whilst they know everything? They get rid of them once they get older and forget they know everything :)

Good story, Erin.

Robi

That must be how it works

erin's picture

Maybe we should get them into corporate management instead of fryer jockey. At least while they are so smart. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Fryer Jockey...Fryer Jockey...

Andrea Lena's picture

....dormez vous...dormez vous...????


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Sunny side over, sunny side over

erin's picture

The fries are done, the fries are done! :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Captain Picard was right!

Extravagance's picture

It IS the climbing song! As of that episode from season 5 of Next Generation, in which disaster strikes the Enterprise and the captain has to encourage some kids to climb up the elevator shaft. Not the same kind of ladder, but what the heck...

- - -

Royal catgirl of the court of the Empress of Euphoria. I like fine seafood, and I love huggles! ^_^
Catgirl_Likes_Prawns.jpg

Catfolk Pride.PNG

I have no idea-

-of where this is going, but the ride sure is fun. Sure the title gives you the idea that in 9 or so months Juice is going to get a visitor that's going to stick around for the next 18 years, but my isn't the road really twisty getting there!

hugs
Grover

Just 18 years?

Raff01's picture

Wow, ask my parents and they'll agree their middle visitor (my older brother) has been hanging around for about 43 years.

But I agree. I find it hard to look away from this story

Twisty ride

erin's picture

I expect there are more curves ahead. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I am so cofused.

WebDeb's picture

But to add my tuppence worth. I think Juice is a girl who wants to be a boy. The posse are trying in their subtle way to remind Justin(e) (?) that being a girl can be fun.

Just because she thinks she's a boy does not mean she can't get pregnant. Gender and sexual preference are two different things. Furthermore our protagonist seem more comfortable in the company of girls.

Only my own supposition as the tale only gives vague clues with little clarity as regards the outcome.

Argh...

see that was my thought

Raff01's picture

Juice is Female to male and Zoey is Male to female. At least that's who I think it could work. Or Zoey is a crossdressing guy.

Half the fun should be in the journey

erin's picture

But I hope the destination will not disappoint. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I wonder if

Extravagance's picture

Justin will shape up as nicely as the journey is? ^_^

- - -

Royal catgirl of the court of the Empress of Euphoria. I like fine seafood, and I love huggles! ^_^
Catgirl_Likes_Prawns.jpg

Catfolk Pride.PNG

That's an interesting question

erin's picture

I guess we'll have to see. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Looks that way

erin's picture

And he seems okay with that. As you say, interesting.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

false pregnancy

I'm voting for false (hysterical) pregnancy, it's not unheard of that guys experience this, though it is rare. Now, if I'm right, the question should be: why does he experience false pregnancy?

Is someone close to him pregnant? Does he wish he was and that in itself causes the symptoms?

Who knows, I might be way of the path here but it's fun guessing ^^

grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

Interesting implications

erin's picture

I don't think I've seen any stories based on this idea.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

You need to

Raff01's picture

Watch more soap operas. For a while there, it seemed like it was a running story on Days of our lives, young and hte restless and one other (no, I don't watch, but my mother did.)

I meant TG stories here

erin's picture

Have there been any?

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I meant to comment earlier

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I meant to comment earlier but I am now. I'm enjoying this wild ride into the unknown and looking forward to more. :-)

Thank you and kudos!

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Thanks

erin's picture

For the comment and the kudos. This is a fun one to write but makes me sweat a bit. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

I'm still waiting to see where this leads

Angharad's picture

while enjoying the delightful way in which it's written.

I don't know which is more frightening to shopkeepers, a posse of boys or girls?

Angharad

Angharad

Frightening?

erin's picture

I dunno. Having worked in retail, I can tell you that my experience is that females make a bigger mess and spend more money, but males make bigger purchases.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

great story

Erin i have just finished reading all seven chapters ,it is hard getting time to read all my favorite stories let alone post comments ,but i have just added this one to my list ,

Hugs Roo

ROO

Eight now

erin's picture

I may have posted the latest after you started reading them. :)

Thanks for the comment and I hope you continue to enjoy the series.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Swept along

Podracer's picture

In a happy splashing current. At least Juice is in a fun time, a nice distraction from the mornings and recent troubles.

In a fit of madness a couple of years ago I went out to get my ears done, headed for the local Blue Banana in town, a modern trendy piercing / alternative clothes place. It wasn't there any more, despite the web site :(. Desperate not to lose the momentum - or courage - I marched back towards the town centre and came across.... Claires! Despite not being, er, in their usual customer demographic, I was attended by a nice young lady and left mission accomplished. And feeling a little strange and self-conscious riding home .

"Reach for the sun."

Lipstick

Juice didn’t seem to be even bothered my the lipstick I wonder what Zoe made them do.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna