The Pregnant Boy -4- Recreation

Printer-friendly version

The rest of Sunday passed without much happening. In mid-afternoon, Harold, Justin and Tom had a barbecue in the backyard. Harold had taken coarse-ground, lean burger meat and mixed it with onion soup mix and Worcestershire sauce. One burger had no mix-in, just for Tom, who shouldn't have onions or salt in his diet.

Justin cut up lettuce, spinach and tomatoes for a salad, served with a dressing made of olive oil and garlic-flavored vinegar. The buns were quickly toasted on the fire, too, then slathered with mayo, mustard and ketchup. A handful of potato chips each and a serving of iced tea made a very satisfying meal with cookies for dessert. Tom even got part of one cookie since they were oatmeal with no raisins or chocolate.

The Pregnant Boy

by Erin Halfelven

Afterward, Harold tuned in to the Dodgers who actually still had a chance to win their division and the whole family relaxed in front of the TV. Tom lay down between their chairs and his tail thumped a few times; he liked his humans close by.

"Don't wave that thing in front of the screen," said Harold. He rolled his chair back to give the big dog more room. Tom scooted over and lay down again, his flagpole tail thumped once more.

"That's better," said Harold, dropping a hand to rub the dog between the ears.

Justin laughed.

Harold sighed. "Those were good burgers, if I do say so myself."

"Yeah, but Mom made a better salad."

"Hard to keep everything you need on hand for a good salad with just two of us to eat things up."

"Woof," said Tom.

"You don't eat salad," said Harold.

"Correction," said Justin. "We don't LET him eat salad, not after last time."

The humans laughed and Tom wagged his tail; salad stuff gave him terrible gas but he loved tomatoes.

The phone rang, an ancient landline device with a handset heavy enough to use as a weapon hanging from the kitchen wall. Justin went to answer it, pulling a dining room chair over to sit in.

It was Jenn Stewart. "Hey," she said. "We missed you yesterday."

"Oh, hey," said Justin. "Sorry I didn't feel like going."

"I'm sorry," said Jenn. "I know what Zoe did to you. That was kinda rotten. And then she doesn't show up."

Justin shrugged even though Jenn could not hear that. "No," he said. "I mean I was really feeling kind of sick at my stomach."

"Oh, ha!"

"What?"

"Oh, something funny just occurred to me."

"I could use a laugh," said Justin.

"Well, I almost asked you if your period was late," said Jenn, trying not to giggle.

"Oh, ha," said Justin.

"Yeah, funny but not that funny. So what you doin'?"

"Watching football with my Dad." He glanced at the television. "Uh, no, it's baseball."

"You, watching sports?"

Justin shrugged again. "I know, huh?"

"Who wants to see a bunch of Neanderthals running around carrying a pig under their arms?"

Justin laughed. "That's football."

"You ever thought about the people who must live in the Neanderthal valley right now? What do they call themselves?"

Justin laughed again. "I saw this show that said that Neanderthals actually had bigger brains than we do."

"Yeah, well they were bigger than us, too. Heavier but not as tall."

"They were cold adapted so maybe they used their bigger brains for central heating."

Jenn laughed at that. "They said in health class that your brain burns 20% of all the calories you use, so maybe that would work."

They giggled even more about that.

They talked about the weather, friends, parents, and school, which had just started up again on Wednesday. "Why do they do that?" Justin asked. "We had three days last week and then we'll have only four days this week because of the holiday. It's stupid."

"It's like boiling frogs," said Jenn. "If we get used to it slowly we won't notice how awful high school is."

They giggled again but Justin asked. "What's that mean, boiling frogs? Sounds gross."

"Well, if you dump a frog in boiling water or even just really hot, he'll jump right out and not be that bad hurt, huh?"

"I guess."

"But if you put him in cold water then heat it up slowly, he doesn't notice at first and then...."

"Frog soup. I was right, it is gross. And you're right, high school is like that. Freshman year they take it easy on you but now that we're sophomores they start cutting up the carrots and turnips and dropping them on our heads." They giggled again.

"We really did miss you today, Justin," Jenn said.

"I bet," he said. "Two girls and their boyfriends. You needed me like...like you needed goldfish crackers."

"Huh?"

"For the frog soup!" More giggles.

Justin saw that Harold had picked up a book and wasn't actually paying much attention to the television, but the sound was loud enough that he didn't think his dad could hear what he was saying to Jenn. It wasn't Vin Scully but somebody else doing the pre-game and it didn't hold Harold's interest.

"What are you doing tomorrow, Juice?" Jenn asked. "Carmine and Ell and Shabeez and me, we're going to the sales. Plaza in the morning and Tyler in the afternoon, come back to Plaza for the band, late. Eat lunch at Red Brick maybe. Wanna come along?"

"What for? So you guys can beat up on me? You're all bigger than me and I'll be outnumbered."

"No, cause you're our friend and we all feel bad about...about what Zoe did. We knew she was playing you but we didn't tell you."

Justin didn't say anything.

"Juice? Are you mad at us?"

"No," he said with emphasis. "'Course I'm not mad at you."

"Well then, come on. We'll have some fun. Pete and his dopey friend Vince won't be along to make stupid jokes and we can laugh at whatever...."

"You guys will want to shop for girl stuff."

"And that's why we want you along. You've got better taste than any of us."

Justin laughed and Jenn giggled. "It's true, isn't it?"

"Well, if we can just keep Shabeez from buying anything orange...." They both giggled.

"Okay, then," said Jenn. "Can you be at my house by ten? We can take a bus to Plaza."

"What if it rains?"

"Then we'll go to Tyler first, it's indoors."

"You want to do some serious shopping, huh?"

"I got some money to spend, what else?" She laughed. "Come on Juice, it'll be fun."

"Well, okay," said Justin. "But I won't have any money. Just enough for lunch."

"That's okay, we'll all chip in and buy you something anyway."

"Uh...."

"Something really cute."

"Jenn...."

She laughed. "See you at ten, 'kay?"

"Okay."

"I gotta go, we're having a late dinner. Dad burned the steaks and won't admit it so we have to pretend they are fine."

"Good luck with that," said Justin.

"See ya."

"See ya." He hung up the phone.

Harold turned his head to look at him. "One of the girls?"

Justin frowned. "How'd you know?"

"You laugh different when you're talking to the girls," his father said.

"Woof, woof," said Tom, starting to stand up.

Harold put his book down on the Great Poofy's thick skull. "Stay put. Scully's about to read the line-up." Tom obediently lay back down, balancing the book on his head.

Justin walked back to his seat in the living room. "Dad, I didn't give you back the money I had for yesterday...."

"That's okay, son. You want to use it tomorrow?"

"If that would be okay. Just buy some lunch and bus fare... and maybe a coke."

"You got enough?"

"Oh, yeah."

Harold nodded. "Okay. I guess you're walking over to Jenn's?" She lived closest and near the bus stop on Market.

"Yeah."

"Well, have fun. And don't let the girls buy you a hat this time." Harold chuckled.

Justin laughed. "I won't," he said.

up
286 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Really Enjoying This

Your stories almost always have an easy, almost lilting (if that's the right word) flow to them that makes them a joy to read, and this one is no exception.

I'm growing more and more intrigued by Juice's role in his group of friends, since it seems the girls consider him an equal at least as much as the boys do.

Keep up the excellent work!

Melanie E.

Classic Story

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

The more I hear about Zoe the more she sounds like the classic 'bad boy' who toyed with the shy younger girl, bedded her and then discarded her when the relationship become boring or someone better came along. Sooooo....unless Juice is having sympathy pregnancy pains it will be interesting to find out how he came to be the pregnant one and not Zoe. Unless the title is major misdirection anyway!

I'm intrigued, bewildered and looking forward to more. :-)

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

It's a really good story up

It's a really good story up till now :--)

can't wait for more ^^

grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

The Pregnant Boy -4- Recreation

What did Zoe do?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Good writing,

Extravagance's picture

but it certainly raises more questions than it answers. =)

- - -

I'm an honorary catgirl. =) I like fish, and especially the more upmarket seafood. Lobster, Tiger Prawns, Caviar, that sort of thing.
I love huggles and gentle scratches. ^_^

Catfolk Pride.PNG

I have a big dog too!

WebDeb's picture

There is not a piece of crockery without a chip due to his swishing tail! (I am considering having it docked.)

Hmm... Clues? The dog is predominant. Justin&Juice =? Did I hear an orange mentioned?

I could mention so much more clues or red herrings? Then my comment would be as long as your tale.

You gotta give us an obvious clue!

I am probably barking up the wrong tree as usual.

That's it!

Erin your stuff does have a nice flow and pacing that's a joy to read. Before you know it, you're at the bottom of the page. Also your banter is lite and fun, very natural. Meanwhile we have clues all over the place at what seems what has happened, but that's impossible, right? Boys and boys and girls are girls, and Zoe couldn't get Justin pregnant. Or could she? :)

hugs
Grover

How come I missed this?

Ah well, now I'm into it, I'll stick with it. Ho hum ... another dan'ged good story that jus' has to be read!

Thanks for the pleasure Erin (inbetween everything else you do).

If your arms would stay electronically still for long enough, I'd give you an electronic hug.

OXOXOX.

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

just one of the girls

it seems clear he fits in with the girls very easily.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Another nice tale

Angharad's picture

which as always seems casual but is actually very cleverly written.

Angharad
PS what about the story you started with the kids on their bikes--are you intending to finish it?

Angharad

Kids on bikes?

erin's picture

Um, I don't remember such a story. :) Not saying I haven't started one but I sure don't remember it.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Slow Delivery

terrynaut's picture

I feel like I'm watching a slow, hanging curve ball. It's so juicy that you want to belt it deep into the left field bleachers but you know the bottom might drop out at any time.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

I'm still intruiged...

So it seems as though Justin (aka Juice) and Zoe had a fling (presumably involving "bedroom aerobics" on the second date back in July), and for whatever reason haven't seen each other over the summer break. For the mall trip in chapter 1 (September), his male friends reveal she's moved on. He then starts becoming nauseous. That's about all we know plot-wise. However, we've seen that he doesn't understand the masculine antics of his male friends, his female friends claim he's got a better sense of style than them, and his mother and sister died in an accident a few years back. Presumably all of that is relevant somehow...

That's what we know. However, it'll be interesting to see if the title is misdirection or if something untoward is going on. We haven't had magic or sci-fi tags (yet), so it's possible they may appear at some point in time. It's also possible Justin's intersexed. Another set of possibilities revolve around Zoe being pregnant - perhaps the symptoms are somehow transferred to Julian, or he's experiencing sympathy pains. It's all up in the air at the moment, and we've probably got several more chapters before any of the clues start to come together. It's even possible that none of my speculation is anywhere near what's actually happening! Depending on the extent to which this story's pre-planned / pre-written, if it's being written more-or-less on-the-fly, it's even possible Erin doesn't know where this tale's going yet!

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Great Poofy

Diesel Driver's picture

That's pretty funny. Those are REALLY BIG dogs. I thought I had a big dog but that's even bigger. Mine's an Anatolian Shepherd, stands about 3 1/2 feet at the shoulder. His name is Kittie. We have 4 dogs total and he's half of them... LOL Our smallest is a Jack Russel so of course his name is Jack. He bounces a lot and likes to jump at me and have me catch him.

Chris

An editorial note: You seem

An editorial note: You seem to me to be switching the date for when Vince, Pete, and Justin were going to the mall. As I read it the mall trip was referred to as yesterday several places but Jenn also seem to refer to missing Justin today on the trip/after the movies.

Enjoying the story but the time line as I am reading it made me have to back up and re-read then go back to where I was then back up again. A bit of my personal OCD but it really was making me have to jump out of what I was reading.

Maybe it is just the way I am reading it and if so, could you maybe edit it for weird people like me that cannot, as in mentally incapable, read it correctly. Sorry for the weird comment.

I haven't looked back

erin's picture

But I think the girls went to the mall on Sunday without Juice. And Pete, Vince and Justin were going on either Monday or Tuesday, not sure without looking. I think you are confusing the trips.

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

A hat

I’m sensing it’s going to be so much more than a hat

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

And now (second read)

Podracer's picture

I would love to see The Hat. Was it like Kissy's?

"Reach for the sun."