FTL-6...Faster than Life.

Printer-friendly version

FTL-6 …Faster than Life.

Chapter 6

I wake up feeling well…I’m not sure? I’m in the tank and I feel Patrick’s arms around me still and him pressed to me still holding me, still floating together spooning. My breather mask is still on my face and I …sort of feel at peace.

Which is a welcome thing from the replaying of everything that has been going on in my head since the battle against that Technarch killing machine. The girls sent Patrick my way and while it wasn’t the way that I pictured losing my virginity…it was still better than I had imagined.

While there’s all these romantic types out there that me floating here recuperating might seem like he was taking advantage. I honestly like him. I’ve masturbated to him and there’s a real attraction there. Honestly I was just too chicken to act on my feelings because I was caught up in what I thought it should be like in my head and there’s even part of me that was clinging to my passed.

Life’s not a holo-game, it’s not some sim-feature or game it’s life. Patrick coming to me and us making love in the rejuve-tank in the middle of the night brought me back to life.

My family/bunkees/best friends sent a man I’ve been mooning over to me last night and he made love to me, kissed me and he breathed for me as he took me to places inside my heart I didn’t know were there.

How many girls can even claim to have that kind of a first time experience?

I can tell he’s awake and I smile a little bit and fire up the opaque privacy screen and ping him through our OBC links.

“Mmmm, morning Patrick.”

“Morning Erin, are you okay?”

“Yes, last night was…”

“I’m sorry, I was very….forward.”

“That’s what I needed, I think. You did me a lot of good last night.”

“I did?”

“Yes you did. I’ve been wanting you for a long time even if I was scared to go there.”

“Oh…I scare you?”

I shake my head no. “No not you, I went through this in joining up to start my real life but somewhere I stalled at taking this step.”

“But you’ve only been a woman for…”

“Less than a year but more than half just under eight months actually and I’m that very last girl to lose her virginity in the whole conversion batch. I’m not some blushing stumbling freshly converted teen or twenty something Patrick, I’m a grown woman I might have gotten a youth down to looking like this but I’m fifty some years old.”

“There’s no time limits on stuff like this Erin.”

“No but I’m old enough to get when I need something Patrick. I did it when I finally faced up to being who I really am. I’m grateful for this, for us being here and it being you.”

“Okay…but we’re good?”

“Oh Patrick, You’re such a guy. Yes we’re good.” I roll/turn in the tank to face him and I pull off the mask and kiss him. “Now are we done? Because I’d really like to try that again….”

“Oh…okay…”

This much time, this much human evolution and bio-technology and even on body computers and a guy apparently is still a guy.

It was good, better than last time actually I’m more self aware instead of that shocked by the fact that I was actually having sex. This time I’m enjoying it, feeling it and him moving inside of me, through me and riding the highs of this…It get’s to the point of him really not being able to breath for both of us and I get the mask on which is a relief because I’ve needed to scream, to be vocal since my last orgasm and I do a lot of that…and beating on the walls of the glass with my hands or my feet.

I really didn’t get just how freeing it is having sex, making love or how visceral it is. I’ve had sim sex; I’ve been a sim-girl. It’s not the same, it’s good, it’s cyber-dirty and it’s fun but it’s either someone else’s recorded sexual neural responses or a simulation.

It’s not me having an orgasm that leaves it with no comparisons.

Patrick leaves and the tank injects its nano-cleaners and I get a bit of crass because you’re in the military jeers and clapping from the medi-techs and the nurses as I lower the privacy screen.

I’m about midway through the morning when Corporal Stillwater comes in with a transipaper (Clear paper) bundle and she looks me over and then presses the “Flush” button.

“Get cleaned off and get dressed Stone, if you’re healthy enough to fuck them you’re healthy enough to do other things.”

“Yes Corporal.”

***

They start me out doing light duty and stuff for the first three days out of the tank. I was back into uniform and working back into astrometrics and something had changed. I was still doing the Scut work, still getting coffee and number crunching but there was this different look from them, from everyone actually like there was something better?

I get referred to as Stone rather than recruit in the Astrometrics decks. I get called Erin by a lot more people in my year, or close to it while in my off time. It’s like so many people know who I am.

My friends the girls in my bunk were ecstatic about having me back and I got hugged an awful lot and they all kind of spoil me except for Anna when I first got back to my bunk. She just sort of ignored me and kind of grunted? Is that the right word? No more like a hrumpf kind of a thing. “It’s a good thing you’re back I was getting tired of doing your share of the stuff around here.”

Later that night in the bathroom Carrington held me tightly and to me and cried. I held her through the worst of the quiet sobs while crying myself too.

“Oh Erin I was so scared when we heard what was going on over the comlinks.”

“I was scared to Care, I though for sure that I was going to die.”

“I was on training duty in the com center and we all could hear it and see it as they got vid feeds locked onto what was going on.”

“It was worse inside of there Care it was…..it was hell.”

I ended up having a really good cry with her and honestly its there that I really realized just what kind of friend I’ve got in her and not just a bunkee or a year mate but a real live best friend and it cemented things between us in a way after that that honestly I didn’t know about.

There’s friends you make online or out in the Net that are sometimes even closer than family. And in this day and age that’s honestly the bulk of most human interaction or at least from worlds where I’m from. There might be those that have a small tight knit group of friends in the real world but there’s not a lot of them. Sometimes there’s close families and more than often there’s not. Even as a child as most children the bulk of anyone that might have been a friend was a net-friend.

But this… this was something really new to both of us and grounding for us too. I mean our lives had been net-lives and then here in the forces and same years and bunkees but now there’s someone that I can honestly say will be a real part of my life even after my time in fleet.

***

I’d been out about three days when I was called to the command deck. Not the bridge but the level for the ship where there’s the bulk of the upper officers quartered and the officer’s mess and club as well as all the offices and meeting rooms and stuff.

I’m directed to the Ship commander’s ready room.

My palms are sweaty and I’m nervous as I guess nervous gets with Stillwater with me and insisting on me being in my full dress blacks. I knew it was something out of the ordinary when I seen Stillwater in her dress black’s as well.

I’ll admit she really cuts a striking figure in them. She’s opted for the woman’s dress pants version and the blouse and the vest along with the full dress jacket. She might be a corporal but there’s an impressive number of battle medals and citations there that tell of a career soldier. I’m not a lesbian but she’s very dapper and stunning in a beautiful tough capable way and the dress sabre on her hip and the gloves and the long perfect braid of her hair just makes here seem like a knight from those archaic world sims.

I’m proud and intimidated to stand beside her at the same time.

The commander comes into the ready room with his Ex-O and a few other officers, out of the tank and before him in person he’s even more impressive. Older with a balding shaved head and a salt and pepper trimmed beard he’s tall six three, broad shoulders and big arms and in really good shape. He’s got the most amazing blue eyes and that just something about him thing that just stirs this military bit in me he’s one of those officers that you’d follow into hell.

The woman side of me is insanely turned of by this ma being so close and I swear my nipple must be showing through my dress jacket. It’s only been a few minutes and I’m getting damp.

Oh … he just looked right at me and smiled. I get all fluttery and butterflies in my stomach as it were.

“Thank you for coming Corporal, Cadet Stone. I called you both her for one you as her training head as a witness Corporal Stillwater and you young lady are here to be awarded with these.”

One of his staff steps forward with a tray with boxes of polished to a shine of carved bakorite… (It’s a type of space coral found only in planets with rings, it looks like obsidian with glittery flecks in it like stars. It’s semi common, used a lot by the fleet though.) As nice as the boxes are there’s medals inside them.

He takes the first one out. A steel pip with red garnet inside it. “For being wounded in battle against an enemy of the wounded the red star.” He passes it to Stillwater who takes it and pins it on me. There’s this look in her eyes of pride that makes me fight this huge lump in my throat and I’m trying not to cry.

He takes out another medal. “For quickness of thought and deed on the battlefield, I present you with the Celera star.” It’s a steel pip with a light shiny blue silvery stone. Again he passes it to Stillwater who pins me.

There’s one more. A small black rectangle with a sword embossed in it. “For committing to an action that saved your fellow soldiers while facing death we award you with your first sword. And with this comes the rank of ensign 3rd class in a brevet rank until you complete your training where you will be fully promoted to the full rank of E3C. You will from this point on receive payment equal to your current rank.”

Stillwater pins me and they both, well all of them give me a salute before they leave. I stand there a little in shock at the promotion. In fleet I’d have come out as a crewman first, or if I was lucky enough to pass my bridge exams I’d start as E3C, but I’m getting out a full rank above everyone else.

Corporal Stillwater looks at me. “Congrats Stone, you get through training and you’re on your way.”

“Uhm thank you Corporal. I’m…I’m still shocked at all of this.”

“Yeah and you got some serious training to do?”

“Excuse me?”

“You got your first sword. It’s a valor medal but everyone of us that have that pin learn to use a sword.”

“Learn to use a sword?”

“You got it, this isn’t protocol, it’s custom stone. It’s an honor thing.”

I look at her and the sabre on her hip and it kind of hit’s me. Usually only officers and marines use swords. I look at her medals and sure enough she’s got this pin like mine only her swords are crossed on it. That’s for someone who got commended like I did at least ten times.

Ten times….

Seeing that map of what she’s done, gone through, lived through just starts to sink in and she said she was proud of me…tears leak out. Not happy or sad just moved.

“Ah fuck, C’mon Stone your friends are throwing you a bash and we need to be hung-over for the funerals tomorrow.”

“Hung-over?”

“Tradition girl tradition.”

With that she hauled me to a private party in one of the storerooms and there was a lot of my year mates there with me and all my Bunkees.

Patrick comes over with a long box made out of wood but like you’d see long-stemmed flowers in it.

“Congratulations Erin, I hope you like it.”

He passes it to me and I nearly drop it it’s that heavy. I set in on one of the makeshift tables and open it and move the synth-silk aside and there’s this shiny almost bluish colored steel blade in this flat slight curve.

“It’s called a Wakizashi, it’s a Japanese type of sword.”

I lift it out and stare at it and him and the others around me.

“They made it out of metal from the shuttle for you.” He tells me and gives a nod towards a bunch of the tech and engineering guys that were there.

I look at Patrick, Stillwater, my friends and everyone else.

“Th..thank you…I try to always do this justice.”

up
248 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

medals

she deserves em. And I love the love scene (I will not call it a sex scene, because it was more than simply sex, it truly was making love)

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I like writing the military aspects of this

and combining it with the sense of the personal and trying to get a sense of "The Life."

Thanks for reading and commenting Dorothy.
*Big Hugs.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Wow...

What a huge set of events in her life. Not only did she have this terrifying experience facing off with a killer cyborg, almost dying, and seeing people she knew being murdered in front of her, but to then lose her virginity while recuperating, in a semi-public place no less, yet capped off with being honored by those she's looked up too. I'd say overwhelming is a very mild adjective for such a set of events in anyone's life. What an amazing marker in a journey to Erinn's future.

In her previous life, Erin seemed as though she was a relative non-entity. Marking time in a semi-autonomous state of being, almost as a robot runs through it's set programming, her shallow facade of life was nothing close to living. Then she joined the fleet with nothing but a hope and a dream of what life could be like, what it should be like.

Since being reborn as herself, Erin has come to life in an amazing way, her psyche adapting and expanding to fit the opening possibilities before her. Could her imagination as her old male self have even been capable of seeing herself doing all she has done since seizing the reality of herself? Would the constriction of her soul in that ill-fitting male shell have even allowed the capabilities we've begun to see as integral to the real Erin?

Looking forward to seeing how Erin develops. As well, the fantastic world(s) you're bringing to life, Bailey. As always, awesomeness, hon!

~hugs for da writer~

Double WoW...:)

What a great comment Lynx! I'm really glad that you liked it and I'm going to agree that Erin might have never evolved into who she was supposed to be. If she'd not taken this huge step in her life she might have eventually been worn down at home to where she'd give up on who she was and got in for neural remapping like her sister had done to be "Normal...or Healed"

To Quote MoonGoddess.... "Ego-death."

I'm glad that you liked this so much and thank you for the great,great comments.
*Great big hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

The Good Stuff!

This is really good, although perhaps I should've named this comment the Right Stuff! LOL! Erin sure has that in spades. You've done another nice bit of world building with this one.

hugs
Grover

Thanks so much Grover!

I'm so glad that you're into this story so much. I really liked this one, a bit of the steamy, some good talk, and there's this whole honor and military thing going on that even pulled me into writing this.

*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

military life

you do a great job with this. i'll be egar to see how you break out the rank structure. in the US Navy the exectuive officer is the XO. I've never seen it as ex-o before, where do they abbreviate like that? looking forward to more of this. thanks

Thanks Lonewolf:)

I'll have to do a rank structure list at some point in time but there's different rank set's for some of the different MOS groups. Ship crew rank out different than bridge officers, as does the enlisted combat troops ant the science/Medical divisions. EX-O is an evolved difference just from culture and time. I just threw it in like that to be different.

Thanks for reading and the great comment:)
*Hugs and Howls*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

i wondered

if you were basing it on something current or doing something that had evolved with time and distance.
thanks for the background

Another great

Another great chapter...

Erin is coming up in the world...
But swords in space. This reminds me of crest of the stars a japanese novel/manga/anime about a space empire.

Thank you for writing this interesting story,

*hugs*
Beyogi

Thanks Beyogi:)

Although I've never heard of that one but that's not really surprising I just never could afford to get my hands on good manga and stuff where I live and never really got into those genres although I like some anime.
I just thought to have the whole swords in space thing kind of cool when paired off with these people that've won these Medals of honor as sort of a sub culture in the military. Erin doesn't Have to use it but there's a tradition.
It might lead to interesting things too. No lightsabers though, not in this universe.

Thanks for reading and commenting.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I have encountered it before . .

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

It is not a unique concept I have encountered the same concept in more then one other Military SciFi universe the sword as sign of honor or rank. And yes they are expected to learn or know how to use it although its never expected to be of actually used in combat as such, but you never can tell what might happen to be useful.

Yes, the sword's more about the honor:)

than the practical use but once you have earned it they expect you to learn to use it.
*Big Hugs for Pixie Dust*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

So cool!

The first thing that comes to mind is how surprised I was when Erin mentioned her true age. That bring home the enormity of her conversion, and just seems to add depth to her character, at least in my eyes. I loved the bit about the sword being made from the metal of the shuttle. Very cool.
Great story, as usual!

Wren

With all the standards of medicine.

In Erin's timeline just from the general used tech and treatments the average human lives between 140-160 years aging at about half the normal rates or rather we repair aging damage far better and faster but the maturity levels are still sort of the same.

I Like the part about the sword being made from the shuttle too.
Thanks for the great comment:)
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Well in this case it's Deep-Space:)

But I'm really glad that you liked it and I always love seeing your comments:)
Thanks bunches.
*Huggles and scratches.*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

All hail Erin! And Bailey

All hail Erin! And Bailey too! :)

A really nice tradition and custom core in the military, it definitely promotes a sense of belonging.

Faraway

P.S. Hey Beyogi, what's the anime you're talking about?


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

It's Seikai no Monshou it's

It's Seikai no Monshou it's rather interesting since the faction of the progatgonist are genetically modiefied humans and he's not. It is military sf like this one and describes the conflict between the ab-empire and the rest of humanity.

Thank you Faraway:)

I've wanted to define some more parts of this story and came up with the swords on the bravery medals idea. It was hard to define a tradition in a future setting.

Thanks so much for the comments:)
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Making a difference

Jamie Lee's picture

Her first love making as a new woman following her first action against an enemy, followed by better love making is starting Erin down a path where she will make a big difference in the lives of others.

When she lived on her home planet, the only difference that was required was for the family. And to hell with others.

Erin's realization that the friendships she was making aboard ship were more real that the net friends she once made. She also realized how cut off with each other people are on her home planet. I forget the author, but there's a series where a murder takes place on a planet where people not only enjoy their privacy, but demand privacy by living far apart on huge tracks of land. While the people on Erin's home planet don't live far apart, they do demand their privacy.

The Erin character has started like a Kiss Long knife or Honor Harrington when both were cadets. Each had a character which spurned them to act when the situated warranted. And like them, Erin earned medals because of her actions under fire.

Acting on behalf of others, to save others, can't be taught. It something a person has or doesn't have. They are selfless or they aren't. It's this unknown quality of the main character which makes for an interesting story.

One like this story.

Others have feelings too.