Lost In The 50s Tonight

Printer-friendly version

This is a bit melancholy, but it wanted to be written and I just tried to keep up with what my muse was dictating. I hope you like it.

Song Credit to Ronnie Milsap: Lost In The 50s Tonight. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPDBGtr5asM
Lost In The Fifties Tonight, by Catherine Linda Michel

Oh yes, I remember... so, so well that night, the music, the feeling of being held in your arms, swaying together and hoping the moment would never end.

Close your eyes babyӬFollow my hear-eartӬ
Call on the mem'rie-ie-ies, ӬHere in the dar-ark
ӬWe'll let the magic Ӭ
Take us away-ay
ӬBack to the fee-eelin's
ӬWe shared when they'd playӬӬ

In the still of the ni-i-i-i-ight
ӬHo-old me darlin', hold me ti-i-ight
ӬOh-oh-oh-oh...ӬShoo-doop, shoo-be do, shoo-doop, doo
ӬSo real, so-o-o rightӬ
Lost in the fifties tonightӬӬ

Lost in the fifties. Oh God, that night will live forever in my mind and in my heart. I remember so clearly feeling so safe, so loved, held tightly in your arms. We danced the night away and, as the sun began to rise, we kissed, right there on the dance floor. Oh how sweet your lips were as they tenderly, then hungrily devoured my own.

These precious hou-oursӬ
We know can't survi-iveӬ
But love's all that matter-ers
ӬWhile the past is ali-ive
ӬNow and for alwaysӬ
Till time disappear-ears
ӬWe'll hold each other
ӬWhenever we hear

ӬӬIn the still of the ni-i-i-i-ight
ӬHo-old me darlin', hold me ti-i-ight
ӬSay-ay-ay-ay...ӬShoo-doop, shoo-be do, shoo-doop, doo
ӬSo real, so right
ӬLost in the fifties tonight.

But memories, like all things past, must be cherished, re-lived, then always put away until the next time I remember...
Ӭ
In the still of the ni-i-i-i-ight
ӬHo-old me darlin', hold me ti-i-ight
ӬOh-oh-oh-oh...ӬShoo-doop, shoo-be do, shoo-doop, doo
ӬSo real, so-o-o right
ӬLost in the fifties tonightӬ.

Farewell my love, 'til we meet again. I miss you. I love you, forever.

As I walk slowly away from the small cemetery plot, I can still hear the strains of that song. I can still feel the love we shared for so many years. I know we'll meet again, my love, and I await impatiently to feel the way I felt that night. To feel your strong arms about me again, keeping me safe and giving me so much love.ӬThe life we shared was all I could have ever hoped for, or even dreamed of. You accepted me for what and who I believed myself to be, and swore that it didn't matter to you... that you loved me and wanted to spend your life with me, and so you did.

Nearing the car where our adopted Daughter and her family await, I can hear the small voice of our Granddaughter, asking me if I'm crying.

“No, sweetheart. Gramma's not crying. She's just lost in the fifties and with Grampa again, if only for a little while.” I pat her little head and she nestles into my loving arms.

“Let's go home honey.” I say to her, and as the car leaves the cemetery, I can still hear, in my mind, and my heart.

In the still of the ni-i-i-i-ight
ӬHo-old me darlin', hold me ti-i-ightӬ
Oh-oh-oh-oh...ӬShoo-doop, shoo-be do, shoo-doop, doo
ӬSo real, so-o-o rightӬ
Lost in the fifties tonight.ӬӬ

Finis.

up
52 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So full of memories...

Andrea Lena's picture

...memories many of us had in our dreams instead of our lives; very hard to listen to without crying. I suppose I'd be lost in the mid-sixties myself. Thinking even last night what might have been; wanting so much to be accepted by my future wife (she was eleven and I was fourteen) and wondering now with Ronnie's slow-dance tempo what it would have been like dressed as Andrea (she didn't have a name then) holding Annette close? Make me cry, why don't you? Thank you for this lovely piece; it 'broke my heart' in all the right places.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Huge Ronnie Milsap Fan

jengrl's picture

PICT0013_1_0.jpg I have always been a huge Ronnie Milsap fan and this is one of my favorite songs. I have seen him in concert 2 times and I have always been so impressed with his talent. I know this song has meaning of loss in this story.It was so special that she had someone like that to accept her and love her, especially during the 50's. I was born some twenty years after the 50's, but the video for this song was well done and it felt like you were there. Sometimes a song will take me back to a different time in my life. Sometimes the memories are happy and sometimes they aren't.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Got me Twice

First I cried after reading this, and then I cried again after listening to the song. Sigh...

hugs
Grover

Lost In The 50s Tonight

Very sweet and beautiful.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine