Somewhere Else Entirely -33-

Printer-friendly version

The palace is hosting nobles, recently arrived for the Harvest Festival. The guests split into gender groups to bring each other up to date with the latest news, which mainly concerns the arrival of Garia in their midst and what she has brought them. In the evening a State dinner is given for the guests, after which Garia is asked a very important question.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

33 - Royal Deliberations


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2017 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"Thank you, Yannis, that will be all," Robanar told his manservant, "I'll call if we need anything."

Yannis bowed and left the parlor, closing the door after himself. Behind him, the men settled into their seats, some nursing tankards of beer, others goblets of wine. All waited for the King to speak, starting the informal meeting.

"As you might have guessed, we have a lot to get through before you all go home," he began. "We have the situation with Yod to consider, but mostly I'll be telling you about our latest treasure and what she'll mean for Palarand's future."

There was a look of interest on nearly everyone's face.

"Yes, Lord Marlin? Something troubles you?"

Marlin flushed. "No, Sire."

"Come, if you are to disguise your feelings, put plainly to lie, you must needs make a better job of it. Perhaps your first meeting with Mistress Garia gave you the wrong impression? For that is surely who concerns you, isn't it? We noticed your attitude at lunch, also."

"The situation was unexpected, Sire," Marlin said reluctantly, "that is all."

"It is plainly not all," Robanar contradicted. "Visselen, is there something we need to be told about your boy?"

Visselen put his tankard down on a side table, wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, and considered.

"Sire, he tests our patience daily. I believe it is a malaise often caught by those of his age, though I sense it has passed both the Prince and Count Terinar by. I had hoped to knock some sense in him, but he is proving resistant."

"It happens to many at that age, as I recall myself," Robanar said dryly. "I wonder my father didn't spit me himself, given some of the trouble I managed to get myself into." He stared sternly at Marlin. "Still, that doesn't excuse you from minding your manners, boy, especially when you are visiting your King!"

Marlin paled and dropped his head, but he said nothing.

"Perhaps, Sire," Visselen suggested, "you might enlighten us about this very young lady. In your messages to us you have said very little, perhaps rightly so given the circumstances. But it seems the time has come for us to learn more, especially if she is to about make the impact you suggest."

"Aye, Rob, that's true enough," Gilbanar agreed. "There are all kinds of amazing rumors abroad and it's becoming difficult to tell hard fact from fantasy any more."

"Very well," Robanar said. "I shall tell you all, though I warn you now that the facts are much stranger than any fantasy you might imagine. Almost a month ago now one of Tanon's caravans was coming back from Moxgo with a mixed load and one of his men spotted her lying unconscious on the rocks below the road. This would have been at least two days travel out of Palarand, you understand. Tanon and Merina were with the caravan and they took her in, reasoning she wouldn't last long way out there on her own. She was wearing very strange garb, not the sort you'd expect to find on a woman, and her whole bearing and manner was unusual. They brought her down to the palace immediately and we had no choice but to take her in for her own protection."

"So," Gilbanar said, "speaking a strange language, then? How did she manage to learn our tongue so quickly?"

Robanar shook his head. "That was the first strangeness, Gil. Until she arrived in the palace she had lost her memory, but she did already speak our words, though with a strange accent. To continue, I asked Morlan to try and find out who she was and where she came from, and what she told him was so outside his own experience he refused to believe it. He thought instead she might have been some kind of spy or at least a treasure-seeker using wild tales to get herself into the palace. She persisted with her story, though, and he got so mad at her I had to put Keren in the sessions to make sure they didn't get out of hand."

They all looked at Keren, who just had a smug grin on his face.

"It was clear straight away that she wasn't lying," Keren said, continuing the story. "She was totally confused about where she was and how she'd got here. It was also obvious that she comes from a society which is so different than our own even I have trouble understanding it. Morlan, though..." he shrugged. "Eventually, she realized that she'd have to prove to him that she knew more than he did, and -"

"A moment, Highness," Visselen put in, "that's a pretty arrogant thing to say, especially to the Royal Questor!"

"As you say, Your Grace, but it really was true this time. You see, she comes from a place which, as she explained it, has advanced so much beyond us that it seems two to three hundred years into our own future. And she then proceeded to show this to a disbelieving Morlan by means of certain mathematical methods and by describing telescopes."

Gilbanar started. "Telescopes? They're supposed to be secret!"

"The point exactly, uncle. Where she comes from, telescopes have been known for several hundred years, and almost anyone may own one of various shapes, sizes and designs. The largest of these, she tells us, are many strides in diameter. She drew diagrams and it was clear she knew exactly how they worked, in much greater detail than Morlan himself did."

"Many strides in diameter? Why would anyone need a telescope that big?"

"To study the stars, uncle. It seems that the bigger the telescope, the more you can see."

They digested this, and then Visselen asked, "Morlan believed her, then? It seems he had no option."

Robanar replied, "It seems he finally realized what we now know, that she was the holder of a great deal of knowledge not yet available to anyone else in Alaesia." His face grew grim. "It also seemed that he planned to keep this knowledge to himself, sequestering the girl in the palace and pretending himself the source of any new discoveries."

He gave a sigh. "He may have nursed other ambitions also. An attempt was made one night on Mistress Garia's chamber, we're not exactly sure who they were. The door was forced after she'd heard them tinkering with the lock. She escaped by jumping out the window into the herb garden. From there she saw two men at her window, and at least one of them was prepared to follow her to ensure capture. She saved herself, my lords, a feat no other woman in Palarand could have managed in that way."

"Extraordinary," Gilbanar muttered.

"She certainly is that," his brother agreed. "Keren found her in the herb garden and brought her to this room, and it seemed to me that others understood her potential better than I did. She was immediately moved to Elizet's old suite and placed under our direct protection."

"You're sure this is all true, Rob? It's not all just tales, then?"

Both Robanar and Keren grinned. "Oh yes!" the King said, "We have had ample proof since then that she knows what she tells us. I hope to show you some of that proof in a moment or two. To continue, after that incident she decided that she needed to 'resume training', as she put it. It appears that she is quite capable of defending herself physically, and it also appears that many women on her home world do likewise. She says that she is by no means unusual. In fact, she makes that point to us over and over again, she is just a normal... 'teenager' is the word she uses."

"How comes she by all this knowledge you say she has, then?" Visselen asked.

"That is apparently normal on her world, as well," Robanar said. "If I understand this rightly, all children, and I mean all children, girls as well as boys, attend school from about the age of four to the age of... sixteen or so. That would be estimating in our years, her years are shorter than ours are. Every one of them can read and write by the time they become adults, and most pick up a significant amount of knowledge during that time. Books are available to all, so much so that she herself is the daughter of a book-seller, a man who apparently has thousands of books in his shop, some of which sell for the price of a loaf or two of bread."

"Incredible," breathed Terinar. "I would wish to learn more about this strange world."

"If what Robanar says is true," Gilbanar told him, "then I have no doubt that we will all learn much more than we might wish to. She gives you her knowledge freely, Rob?"

Robanar grimaced. "An expression of hers I find myself using more frequently is, 'yes and no'. Yes and no is my answer, Gil. She is quite prepared to tell us what she knows, in order to enable Valley society to improve itself rapidly, and in fact we have already begun that process. However, there are certain subjects which she fears to tell us much about, because they have caused so much death and misery on her own world, the instruments of warfare being among them."

"She knows her own history, then?" Visselen asked. "If so, she would be able to help us avoid the snares her own people faced."

Robanar smiled. "You understand the risks, then, in such a venture. No, she is not a particular student of history, as I understand it, but she knows enough to warn us of the dangers."

"What dangers might those be, Sire?" Terinar asked.

"She says that the towns and cities will grow rapidly as we develop. New ways must be found to feed the population, even as our people leave the fields for work in factories, where they will make all the new devices she is showing us. Dealing with waste is an ever-present concern, and it will only get worse. She speaks of immense quantities, numbers I can scarce believe. Thousands of tons of steel made every week." He had to explain what a ton was. "A bridge, for example, made of steel which can cross the Sirrel. Self-propelled wagons which can journey from Palarand to Viridor in the space of a bell, such that many might choose to live in one and work in the other. She says that her world has ships that can stand a man on their moon and bring him back again. Devices for speaking instantly from one end of the Valley to the other, and perhaps beyond."

"Rob, are you sure that these aren't just childish ramblings?"

"Absolutely certain, Gil. Here, Keren, get out the clothes she was wearing when she came."

Keren pulled the bundle out of the bag and passed the contents around.

"Trousers!" Gilbanar was startled by the garment he was handling. "She was wearing trousers? That's crazy!"

"On Earth, which is what she calls her world, she tells us that both men and women wear trousers, though women also wear skirts and gowns as they do here." Robanar's grin was not of amusement this time. "That isn't the point, though. What I am about to tell you is the strangest fact of all. Garia tells us that on Earth she was not a girl but a boy, someone about the same size and age as Keren here. The body she now has is not the one she was born into. She has had to learn how to become a woman since arriving here."

Gilbanar lowered the jeans. "Now I know you're making a joke, brother. This has to be some kind of trick, and you've fallen for it."

Robanar gestured. "Fine. Now you tell me where I can obtain another pair of trousers like that, if you please. I guarantee you won't get them anywhere in Alaesia. Look especially at the fixing under the big metal button."

Gilbanar stood and walked to the window to examine the garment more clearly. He muttered oaths as he fingered the material, looked at the seams and tried to work the zipper, finally returning to sit thoughtfully again.

"It isn't a joke, is it, Rob?"

"No, it isn't, and all of you had better understand that fully before we go any further. That girl represents our future, and right now she is the most important person on Anmar."

"Some far away lands, perhaps? Somewhere else entirely we've never heard of?"

Robanar shook his head. "Keren, the watch?"

Garia's watch was passed around and inspected by all. Keren then took it to a table near the window and with a tool that Tarvan had given him he carefully removed the back plate so that all could see the insides. The others crowded round.

"This tells the time on Earth," Keren explained. "Her people divide the day into twenty-four, not twenty, and their day is about a bell shorter than ours. Thus, if this were to be set at the noon bell, it would complete its cycle a bell early. It was not designed for use on Anmar. It is hers, but she only wore it because her own was damaged. She says these are cheap and available in quantity."

"Look at the intricate workings inside that," Robanar said. "Name me any metalsmith you think is capable of doing what you see there."

"All right!" Gilbanar threw up his hands. "I'm convinced. I wish I weren't but I am. So, what happens next?"

Robanar told them.

~o~O~o~

"More pel, dear?"

"Thank you no, Ma'am."

Vivenne, Korizet, Dalenna and Terissa had joined Terys, Garia and Merizel in the Queen's sitting room for a quiet talk. Terys had told her guests about Garia's arrival and abilities, and no-one seemed about to contradict her on the details. No-one was interested in talk about strange new gadgets, rather they wanted to hear about Earth and how people lived there. Garia found it difficult to provide what they wanted since the gulf in their societies was just too great. Eventually, the discussion turned to schooling, and she felt on safer ground, even though much of what she told them made no sense to them at all.

"But I don't understand," Korizet said. "You're saying that if I were on... Earth, I would still be attending school?"

"Yes, although it would probably be your last year," Garia said. "You'd be an adult and you'd have to try and get yourself a job. Or more likely go to university. That's another school where you would do three or four more years of advanced study. Once out of university you'd be able to get a better job."

"But I'm a Duke's daughter, I wouldn't be expected to get a... job, surely?"

"Oh, I was talking about normal girls, you understand. In America we don't have Dukes of our own. All our rulers and most of our officials are elected. There are countries on Earth which have Kings and Queens and Dukes in them, but not mine. Where I come from, everybody starts off the same, and then it's what you can do determines how far you can go."

"Even the women?"

"Even the women, although of course because of the baby business things can get a little complicated. Unless a woman decides that she doesn't want to have children at all -" there was an in-drawing of breath from her audience. What woman didn't want children? "- there will be a natural break in whatever she chooses to do while her children are still very young. Although, even then, there are child-minders and such who will look after small children for a price. Eventually, of course, they will go to school and the mother will have a little more time for her own life, then."

"Well, of course," Korizet said doubtfully, "when I'm married I'll have a nanny to look after my children, naturally. Is that what you mean by child-minder?"

"Sort of." Garia tried to explain how things worked but with limited success. The nature of the two societies was too different for the others to really understand what she was telling them.

During a break in the conversation Merizel said, "I know! Garia, do tell them what you told me before, about the clothing women wear on Earth. I'm sure everyone will be fascinated."

"Yes, dear, why not?" Terys had heard some details previously, but it was clear that clothing was a large and complex subject on Earth, most of which would be of interest to those present. "Tell us what a girl your age would be wearing, for instance."

"Uh, I don't know, Ma'am. There's such a wide variety of clothing these days, and different girls with different personalities will choose completely different styles. Um, you'll all have to realize that I can only go by what I remember seeing, since I didn't wear any of it myself."

"That will be fine, dear. Whatever you can remember will be so much more than any of us know now, will it not? Just tell us what you can."

"As you wish, Ma'am. Well, to start with, most girls would wear -"

Garia found, to her surprise, that she could remember much more detail about what the average teenage girl wore than was proper for a teenage boy to know, and she wondered why that might be. With clear pictures in her mind of days at school, and when out and about with the guys, she enthralled her listeners with descriptions of short and long skirts, tee shirts and crop tops, denims, capri pants and shorts, sweater tops and many, many varieties of footwear, amazing, horrifying, delighting and appalling her audience in equal measure. Then she moved onto goth, biker, prep and cheer-leader wear and it became apparent that she had found something else that would change Anmar for ever.

Vivenne shook her head. "Such a huge selection to choose from! How do you know what to ask your dressmaker to make for you?"

Garia shook her head. "Only the very rich have their clothes made for them, and only the very poor make their own clothes. Almost everyone else buys their clothes from huge shops, which supply them in every shape, size, color and style. Just going in all the shops and trying things on to see if they will fit and suit you is a whole activity by itself, and most girls - and women, really - enjoy doing that." She made a face. "On the other hand, most boys don't. If they want something to wear, they'll plan out what it is and where to get it, go to that one shop and buy it and then go home. Any woman can spend all day looking for clothes."

"That's to be expected, dear," Terys said. "After all, we want our men to look smart and tidy, we don't want them to display themselves quite the way we women do. It wouldn't be proper, let alone practical! But, all this clothing you talk of, how is it made? Is it not a tremendous waste, making garments that may never be chosen by someone?"

"It is, Ma'am, although eventually most of what isn't sold and worn filters down to charities which sell it cheap or give it to deserving causes. A certain amount is recycled, turned into other clothes, true, but very little. Most of our clothing is made in huge factories using machines, like much else in our world, and this makes clothing very cheap to produce. People operate the machines, determine which parts need to be sewn together, for example, but everything is speeded up compared to doing it by hand. It would take only minutes to make a pair of denims, ah, trousers, or a top, and there could be fifty or more machines side by side making the same item in different sizes."

"Astonishing," Korizet muttered. "Now I understand your presence in the palace. Just to know that such things are possible, even if we cannot comprehend the actual means of achieving them, is an important thing." She turned to Terys. "Ma'am, I am glad Mistress Garia has found a home here with you. The knowledge she holds could be misused in the wrong hands, couldn't it?"

"Indeed, dear. But the knowledge she brings to us will cause great changes to our whole world whether she remains with us or not. Do you realize that?"

"Of course, Ma'am! But you'll look after her better than anyone else might."

"As you say, dear."

"Mistress," Terissa began.

"Garia, please, while we're together like this. Just Garia."

"As you wish, uh, Garia. I wanted to ask, it is not easy for me to imagine what these clothes you describe look like, since it sounds so completely different than what we are used to. Would it be possible for you to draw some pictures for us?"

Garia blinked. "I... don't know, Terissa. I haven't done much drawing before I came here, so I don't know." But you were quite happy sketching a bra for Rosilda, weren't you? She nodded. "Perhaps. But I think that will have to wait until after the festival, I'll need to sit down and concentrate to do something like that. Besides -"

They wouldn't stand for modern clothing styles, anyhow. Quickest way of causing a riot I can think of right now. Besides, they're not really appropriate at this time in their social development, are they? The society has to evolve, attitudes have to change, like in Victorian times or after the Great War. However...

Garia turned to Terys. "Ma'am, I've just realized that, although it's been great fun describing all these clothes to you it wouldn't really be practical to introduce them to Alaesia right now. On the other hand, though, our clothing styles went through a great many changes over the last two to three hundred years, and I can probably remember enough different styles to keep every seamstress going for many years. Let me think about this for a few days and we can have another meeting before all these nice people have to go home."

"Two to three hundred years of styles? Goodness me! When I thought about the knowledge you might bring us, I never thought about clothes at all, dear!"

"Uh, Ma'am, I was just a boy there and not particularly interested in the clothing of women. I was even less interested in historical clothing. But, for a number of reasons, I can describe some of the styles that were around in the past, if not in great detail."

For that I have to blame a Revolution, a Civil War and numerous movies set in historical periods. I may not be able to provide the detail any normal woman at home would, but I think I can give them enough to keep them happy. Especially considering that whatever I tell them, they'll have their own slant on the fashions in due time.

My memory seems sharper. I didn't think I could remember a single thing that anyone wore to school but I did, and in some embarrassing detail, too! I wonder if that's going to be true of anything else they might ask me. Hmm. I wonder if I got an upgrade somewhere along the way? After all, I have my own, inbuilt translator, don't I? Physically, my abilities are about what I'd expect from having a body this size and shape, but the mind, now, that's a whole different ball game. Her eyes narrowed.

"Garia? Is there some problem?"

"No, Ma'am. I was just considering some of the things that have happened to me recently." Garia shook her head. "I'm sorry, Ma'am. We were talking about clothes. Yes, I'll try and make some drawings for all of you. It could be an interesting business, as I've not yet had to put pen to parchment since I've been here."

"You do not write, Garia?" Korizet asked with surprise.

"Yes! I mean, I can write perfectly well, but in my own language and with different equipment. We don't use the pens and ink pots you use here, and we don't write on parchment."

"Garia has been showing us how to make paper, Korizet," Terys explained. "A simple process, and there appears to be so much variety in the paper one can make that it can be used for many different purposes other than just writing things on. Merizel, have you a sample, by chance, to show these girls?"

"Of course, Ma'am."

Bursila handed Merizel her folio and from it Merizel extracted a folded sheet of paper. It had been barely three weeks since Garia had shown them how to do it, and already a crude production line was in operation. She passed the page to Korizet who examined it closely.

"This is curious stuff, Ma'am," she remarked. "From what is it made?"

"Garia?"

"Mostly wood pulp, Korizet." The girl frowned, so Garia expanded, "Think of sawdust, or very fine wood shavings, that kind of thing. Eventually, we'll be crushing whole trees to make paper. Sometimes you can put other fibers in it like straw or even shredded cloth. You can use it just like parchment, but paper has many other uses as the Queen says."

Korizet ran a gentle fingertip across the sheet. "An interesting texture, not like parchment at all, though it should be easy to write upon."

She passed the sheet to the twins, who bent their heads over it , then passed it on to Vivenne. When we have enough of it around, thought Garia, I'll have to see if I remember any of that origami that Gran taught me, though that was a long time ago now. The sheet was passed back to Merizel, who stowed it safely away.

"There's another subject I'm sure we'd all like to hear about," Korizet said tentatively, "and that's whatever happened when Duke Jarwin came here. I'm not sure I believe anything I've been hearing."

Of course, the only women present had been herself, Jenet and Margra. "Ma'am?" Garia asked. "Do you really wish me to tell them all that happened? It won't be pleasant."

Terys considered, surprised and gratified that Garia had given her the final say, but in the end decided that the plain facts would serve better than any second hand rumors, especially with this select audience.

"Our guests need to know the truth, dear, so that they may better be able to deny the rumors. Tell them what happened."

"As you wish, Ma'am."

~o~O~o~

"...and then she swung round," Keren said, "may I demonstrate?"

He stood in the center of the room and tried to replicate Garia's spin, remembering to twist his torso as he stabbed his stiffened left arm, hand out to the side, into the air.

"Like that," he said. "Right into the side of Jarwin's head about here. He went straight over, fell on the ground, briefly tried to rise but then collapsed unconscious. Kendar stepped forward at that point and declared the contest over."

Gilbanar shook his head. "Unbelievable. That such a small person, and a girl to boot, could be so deadly. She teaches you this craft?"

"Yes, Uncle," Keren said as he resumed his seat, "and a file of the Guard, although they have only just begun the training."

"The part I find difficult to believe," said Visselen, "is that she was so sure that she would best Jarwin, despite their apparent differences in size and experience. I'm guessing that she would never have offered herself as a forfeit if this were not so."

Robanar grunted. "As you say, Visselen. I was most unhappy when she suggested it, but my son convinced me otherwise. It shows that she knows her own limits, and can accurately decide which fights to take and which to run away from." He gave a nasty grin. "I regret the necessity which forced her to fight, though, but the outcome was favorable for all of us. Excepting Jarwin, of course."

Gilbanar chuckled as Robanar continued, "Mariswin even sent me a letter expressing his own thanks! Although he has the power to control his brother while at home, when Jarwin goes traveling he has been his own law. Now, the story of how he was bested, not by a woman but by a girl, will ensure that he is more cautious in his future activities. He will never know if the same fate might befall him again!"

"What say you now, Marlin?" Visselen asked his son. "Does Mistress Garia still deserve your disapproval?"

Marlin had sat pale and silent as Robanar and Keren had told of the bout between Garia and Jarwin. If the reported violence was true, and he had no doubt that the King was keeping to the facts and not exaggerating, then he had gotten off lightly in his encounter with the girl. It didn't solve the basic problem that she was the center of attention instead of himself, but he could see that there were good reasons for that. Unfortunately.

"No, Father, she doesn't. But Duke Jarwin is a special circumstance, surely? And concerning my meeting with her earlier, it was a mistake, how was I to know? I just saw four who I believed servants, they were in my way. Servants are there to serve, that is all. If they are around when I am about my affairs, then they should keep out of my way."

Robanar was annoyed by his attitude. "You mistake your own position in life, Lord Marlin." Marlin flushed. "It is you who serve, as well as they. Their purpose is to enable you to better fulfill your own service to the people who depend on you. In my case that means I serve the whole of Palarand, in your case it means that in time you will serve Brikant. If you do not look after your own servants, be very sure that in time they will cease to look after you, and then your rule will fail. The very best rulers are those whose people want them to rule, who support them whole-heartedly. Did you not realize that this entire enterprise is a two-way affair? If you treat your servants badly, so shall you receive."

"Your Majesty," Marlin said, bowing his head, "I stand rebuked. I shall be more careful in future."

"You shall, Marlin," Visselen added. "I have heard rumors at home about your attitude which I find disquieting. If you do not mend your ways, I shall give the Duchy to the twins. I have the right, you know." He turned to Robanar. "My apologies, Sire, for bringing our domestic problems away with us."

Robanar flicked a hand. "I don't mind, Visselen. After all, in a way your domestic problems are mine also, aren't they?"

"You'll give your Duchy to the twins?" Gilbanar chuckled. "Now that would be interesting. Two women simultaneously holding the same seat? All our heralds would resign at the mere thought of such an idea!"

Visselen turned to him. "It would make a change, Your Grace, from an old and tired man like me or a truculent youth like Marlin, to be sure. And, after all, His Majesty entertains a woman from another world in his court." He turned back to Robanar with a thought. "Sire, she is not even your subject, legally. You have some means of binding her to Palarand?"

"She offered to serve me when she first came here," Robanar said, "and I refused to accept her."

There was a gasp of surprise from the others.

"This was because she really hadn't been here long enough to properly know if this was the right place for her to be. I have told her that she may leave at any time with our blessing, but while she is with us we will look after her as if she were our daughter." He nodded to himself. "Now, however, I think the time is coming when we have to make her position clear to everyone. I have some ideas, but I would welcome suggestions from you all."

~o~O~o~

The door to Robanar's study opened to admit three men, one clearly much older than the others who were of about Keren's age. All were dressed for traveling and showed the evidence of a hard journey. Robanar sprang to his feet, and the three went down on bended knee.

"Prasard! What's happened? Where is Norvelen? Rise, rise, all three of you, find seats, and tell me what has happened!"

Robanar indicated free chairs and pulled the rope for his manservant.

"Your Majesty," the older man began as he regained his feet, "I regret that His Grace Duke Norvelen could not travel with us today. Yesterday, as we were out riding, our frayen were spooked by grakh. Several riders were thrown including my brother, and unfortunately he was trampled as the animals ran amok. His left leg was severely injured, Sire, the calf muscle being crushed."

"Maker!" breathed Visselen. "He will survive, Count?"

Prasard nodded. "Yes, Your Grace, though he may not walk properly again. Sire, since Shenna cares for him and she has the young girls to care for also, I thought it best to come in his stead and bring his older sons away with me. It will give her time and peace to adjust to tending her husband."

"You did well, Prasard, and you, Willan and Stebenar are welcome in my house. Sit, let Yannis fetch you all beer or wine to ease your thirst."

The new guests' refreshment needs seen to, Prasard gave the others a more detailed account of the incident.

"Grakh, eh?" Visselen mused. "Tis early in the season for such to be abroad. They are not often seen before Harvest Festival. Think you this means the rains come early, Count?"

"Aye, Your Grace. We are not far from here, as the ptuvil flies, but it seems to me there are more clouds in the sky at home than I see here, more moisture in the air than usual. We are nearer the sea, of course. I doubt we have two weeks to wait for rain."

"It is notoriously difficult to predict the beginning of the rains, as we all know," Gilbanar said. "I think we have the festival about right this year, eh, brother? Not too hot and not knee deep in mud, just the way I like it. Of course, at home in the Palar Valley things are different again, surrounded by mountains, but I'm not complaining. Still, sighting grakh means that the rains can't be far behind."

"As you say, Gil," Robanar agreed. "So, Prasard, why don't you tell us all the other news from Kendeven, and then we can tell you the most important topics we've discussed this afternoon."

~o~O~o~

Of course it was another State dinner. Now her hand was mostly better, Garia could choose her own gown and picked out one of brilliant blue. Cleaned up and with tiara in place, she joined Keren for the walk to the Receiving Room.

"Did you have a good talk with the others, this afternoon?"

"Yes, of course! You know what a group of women in the same room are going to be like, don't you? We discussed all kinds of topics, mostly the sort that men find boring."

"And did you find them boring as well?"

"Actually, no," she said, thoughtfully. "Although a lot of it was them asking me about Earth, as you might expect. We talked about women's clothing, if you must know, and I found I remembered a great deal more than perhaps I ought to have, being a boy before. Only boys who are complete weirdos are interested in girls' clothing on Earth."

"Except perhaps unlacing them," Keren said with a smile.

"There is that," she agreed, "but, with us it would be unzipping, not unlacing. Actually," she slowed down, her face heating, "come to think of it, the idea of being slowly unlaced right now is... Ah. Um, Keren, find another topic, would you?"

"As you wish, Garia." He was grinning broadly. "I didn't mean to set you off. So, did you tell them about the fight?"

"Yes, we talked about it. The girls all sounded interested. I might have some new recruits if I'm not careful."

"Ouch. Ten guardsmen is about all we can manage right now, don't you think? But, it is a logical extension of what we've started, I suppose. You'll want to set up a proper school, teaching all who wish to learn?"

She nodded. "Yes, eventually. It's going to take years, just like much else that I'm telling people here. Another subject for one of our council meetings, I guess."

They came to the main doors and waited for Kendar to present them. Immediately Visselen came over, dragging a reluctant Marlin.

"Mistress," Marlin began, his face set in stone, "I must apologize for my attitude when we met earlier today. I am told that I must treat servants better, and they will in turn treat me better."

He bowed stiffly and then walked away.

"Mistress, he is at a difficult stage in his years," Visselen said to her. "I am hoping he will soon grow out of it."

"Not to worry, Your Grace," she replied. "Recently I was a boy just like him, and I have no doubt my manners would not have been much better. I have it on good authority that boys do eventually mature into men, although I sometimes wonder if it happens to every one."

Visselen smiled. "As you say, Mistress."

An older man joined them, bowing to Keren.

"Mistress Garia, this is Count Prasard, younger brother of Duke Norvelen of Kendeven," Keren told them. "Unfortunately the Duke suffered a riding accident yesterday and is too badly injured to travel to Palarand. The Count has brought with him the Duke's sons, however. May I introduce Count Willan and Count Stebenar. My lords, this is Mistress Garia about whom my father briefly spoke earlier."

Garia curtseyed to the three newcomers. "The Duke is injured? Is he badly hurt?" she asked.

"His left calf was crushed, Mistress, though the bones seem sound. His wife cares for him, I thought to give her some relief by bringing his boys away with me. Our healers are good, Mistress, they will do their best for him."

Garia looked at the two boys, who bowed towards her. Two more teenagers! These two look about my age, too. I'll have to be careful while they are around. All three of the men were blonds, though the shades of their hair differed somewhat. The older man, the Duke's brother, was the palest and had a typically Scandinavian look about him. The two boys were darker, perhaps favoring their mother. Both were the height of Keren and looked fit and friendly.

"We've heard very little about you, Mistress," the one called Willan said to her. "Although I admit there are rumors which have reached Kandovor, rumors which must be about you that I cannot believe are true!"

"My Lords, since I assume you are staying for the festival, there will be plenty of time for you to find out all you need to know about me," she said. "Before then, I believe it is time for us to take our seats. I for one am getting hungry. If you would lead the way, Highness?"

The tables were arranged as before, so Garia sat beside Keren on their own table, this time facing Marlin. The two newcomers flanked the twins, who obviously knew them from previous encounters and chatted amiably with them. As the meal started, she noticed the twins explaining the forks to the two boys, with apparent references that Garia had introduced the utensils. She also noticed that Marlin was using his fork this time, although clumsily since he hadn't had the practice.

The others at table all knew everyone else except Garia and Merizel, so it was obvious that most of the attention would be directed at them - particularly by the boys, who hadn't yet had the benefit of a chat with either of them. The situation was one that Garia had not expected, and she struggled to find the appropriate attitude to take to the inevitable questions. Worse, although she was now used to dining with the royal family, her experience with others of high station was seriously lacking. She didn't want to appear a country hick but she also didn't want to seem to be trying too hard in front of others her own age. By contrast Merizel, although technically at the bottom rung of the status ladder, seemed to be holding her own with the exalted company at the table.

I expect she's wondering if there's a husband to be had here. Is that what I should be doing? How the heck should I know? The boys here don't behave anything like guys do back home, and I've no idea how a maiden is supposed to behave in this society. Is it all arranged marriages or do we have some kind of say in who meets who around here? I'm floundering again, short of information. I didn't expect to be surrounded by so many my own age at once. I wonder if I can get a free moment with Merizel, get her to explain the basics? Then again, she comes from the sticks, how much does she actually know about what goes on with these people?

"Garia?"

"Hmm, what? Oh, um, yes, Highness?"

"Jenet wants to know if you've finished with your plate. You seem lost in thought."

"Yes, Highness, I'm sorry." She gave him a smile. "There are certain aspects of the current situation I've discovered I'm unprepared for. " She waved a hand along the length of the table. "I've never done this kind of thing before."

Keren frowned. "Yes you have, Garia. You've sat in on at least two banquets in this room that I can think of."

"No, it's not that, it's having so many people all my own age group at once. It's nothing like it would be back on Earth."

He smiled. "Ah, of course. Don't worry, we're not always this formal, this is just because it's the first day everyone else is here and Father has to welcome them with a proper meal." He thought. "Actually, because there are so many we'll probably be eating in here until most of them leave. Is that going to be a problem for you?"

She shook her head. "It's not really that either. I'll explain when we can get a moment or two alone."

Marlin looked up. "You spend time alone with each other, Mistress? I trust you are properly chaperoned."

Keren said firmly, "Marlin, behave yourself! Of course we spend time with each other, our suites are practically next to each other! We naturally spend time together as there aren't many others our age in the palace at the moment. That's what Garia is saying, it's unusual for her to be amongst so many our own age. I've noticed the difference as well."

"Surely, Highness," Terinar said, "You don't wish us to leave? You don't object to meeting your cousins, do you?"

"Of course not, Terry. It's just a bit of a change having so many here at the palace all at once, and Garia's not sure how to deal with you all."

At the end of the meal, everyone stood and gathered in groups while the servants cleared the tables and contents away. A footman came to Garia as she and Merizel stood surrounded by the others.

"Mistress, the King commands me to request that you and your companions remain in the Receiving Room as he will be making announcements concerning you."

Everyone's eyebrows rose except Marlin's. He curled his lip and with a brief "If you will excuse me," he crossed the floor to join his father. The others watched him go in silence except for a muttered "Good riddance," from Terinar.

"Highness, do you know what is intended?" Korizet asked.

Keren shook his head. "No, Korizet, I don't, although I have a suspicion or two. You'll find out shortly, in any event."

Soon the chairs were back in their usual places and everyone had taken seats. The situation was different than usual, since there were so many of high rank present, and only Keren and Garia had chairs alongside the King and Queen this time, everyone else being seated against the side walls. Kendar banged his staff on the floor to quieten the murmuring.

"Would Mistress Garia please stand forth before the King?" he asked.

Garia stood and came to stand in front of Robanar, who also stood as she turned.

"Mistress Garia," he said, in a room now completely silent, "When you first arrived in this palace less than four weeks ago, you made an offer which touched me greatly. You offered to swear your allegiance to me, even getting down on bended knee to prove your intentions."

There was a rustling in the room which turned into gasps as he added, "On that occasion, Mistress, I refused your offer. You had not been long in our world and you knew little about Palarand and its people. For that reason, it seemed to me that you should learn more about us and our society before you made any such commitment. Nevertheless I offered you a home and support until such time as you could make an informed decision.

"It has been difficult to prove your age, since the years, months and days of your own world are different than ours, but we both agreed that by either standard you are not yet considered an adult, and so we have legally adopted you, made you as one of our daughters. I will also repeat a commitment I made when I first offered you a place in my home, that since you have no idea how you came to Anmar and there is no possibility of knowing how long you might remain here, you are free to depart my house and my kingdom at any time with my blessing."

He turned to address the entire gathering. "Since the arrival of Mistress Garia in Palarand, she has told us much of her own world, and she has told us about many new concepts and devices which we know will benefit Palarand, Alaesia and all Anmar greatly in the future. The forks which many of you will have used for the first time today are the very first of the changes she will bring. There will be many, many others in the coming years. Let us understand that we would have discovered most of these things in our own time, but with Mistress Garia's help we can avoid most of the mistakes which these discoveries caused in her own world."

He turned to Garia again. "Mistress, it seems to me that our future is becoming ever more bound up with your own. However, you are the key to much of what is to come, and it seems to me that you will need all the protection that the King of Palarand can provide you. You are also a young girl and you require such protection as any woman your age might. I can best provide that protection for you if you were to swear allegiance to me. Do you consider that you would now be able to swear that oath? No one in this room will think any the less of you if you decide that more time is needed for such a commitment."

The tears streamed down Garia's face as she replied, "Sire, my commitment to Palarand has never wavered since the day I arrived. I have already made an oath to my own country, the United States of America, but since I am here and the United States is somewhere else entirely, that oath has no meaning here and now. I will swear allegiance to you and to Palarand, Sire."

Garia lifted her skirts and awkwardly got down on one knee in front of Robanar.

"Then," Robanar said, "I ask you formally, are you prepared to serve me as your King, forsaking all others, while you yet remain on Anmar?"

"Your Majesty, I am."

"Do you swear to honor the laws of Palarand, follow its customs and traditions and obey the orders of your superiors and betters?"

"Your Majesty, I do so swear."

"Are you prepared to defend Palarand in whatever ways you may be able, against all its enemies, now and in the future, even at the cost of your own life?"

"Your Majesty, I am."

"Heard and witnessed!" said Kendar in a loud voice, and several in the crowd echoed his words.

"Then rise, Lady Garia, and join your fellows as a true Palarandi from this moment forward."

Her eyes widened as she took in the change of address. Robanar held out a hand to help as awkwardly, she got to her feet again.

"Lady Garia, your position within the royal household must needs be a peculiar one," the King continued. "I acknowledge you as my daughter, but since you are adopted you cannot be in the line of succession. Do you understand this?"

"Your Majesty," Garia stammered, "I never expected such a thing! I do not want such a thing. I am more than content with what I already have." The tears started again. "You have shown such kindness to me."

"My dear," he said quietly, "we could do no less, you certainly deserve it."

More loudly, he continued, "We desire to provide Lady Garia a suitable style and title, to complement her position here in the palace, but that still requires some careful thought. For that reason, we are not bestowing any such style or title tonight but will wait until the Commons Court during the Harvest Festival. Until then, she shall simply be addressed as Lady Garia."

Robanar held out his arms and she went forward into his embrace. Despite her own martial attitude and abilities it was clear that having a strong man behind her gave her a kind of confidence she hadn't realized was possible. He wasn't kin, but he was certainly the next best thing. His clasp slackened, and he held her hand, turning her to face the assembled nobles as she noted with a shock that she was now one herself. She turned as someone clasped her other hand, and Terys was standing there as well, smiling down at her, welcoming her into their family.

Everyone in the room spontaneously stood, and the sound of the applause was deafening.

up
389 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You still have me on hook...

Will Garia and Keren be item or not? Thats a question, dear Yorik. Now shes been made noble she stands at least little chance, though Robanars statement seems about line of succession to show opposite.
And Marlin? I think what he needs is to spend a week or better month as servant, ideally female servant. That should show him how to treat his people better.

Many have explicitly NOT been in the line of sucession yet....

were married to the reigning king or Queen.

Look at Prince Phillip, Queen Elizabeth's husband/consort or even her own mother the late Queen Mother, the Queen while Elizabeth's dad was king. Or the current Prince of Wales and the late Pricess Dianna. Though she did have minor link way back to the nobilty.

So Garia might not by law or custom lay claim to the thrown but she could marry to the future king and produce heirs.

The question of whether her mind got *an upgrade* or other unusual aspects of her new body is quite interesting. And why the almost intimate knowledge of women's fashions?

Something is very odd here.

Was a woman supposed to be transported across dimensions or however he got to Parland but instead the boy or at least his mind was transported instead? And is she so ordinary an Earth female physically as she thinks? I wonder? did she get a mental download intended for a woman dimention traveler?

And just four weeks into her *voyage* and her attraction to men, thoughts off how men and women court each other in Parland, having children and such is stronger by the day. Her banter in private with the prince almost amounted to sexual flirting.

Hum, as to writing, the steel nib pen, the forerunner of the fountain pen is a simple concept as is the earlier feather quill pen.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Problems, John?

Did your head explode? I'm guessing as you accidentally duplicated your post, maybe! ;)

Actually the "Line of succession" thing is the other way round: you can only be in the line of succession if you are related by blood to the present monarch, which would thus automatically prevent you marrying another claimant.

Yes, I know they allow cousins to marry in Europe, and look what it did to the breeding stock! Allowing commoners into the ranks is the best way of preventing the weakening of the line. In this case it's clear that Garia can't possibly be related to anyone so in theory she could marry Keren, customs notwithstanding.

As to the memory thing, I think it's more the case that you don't know what you know you know. Um, you know? :) Every day you see things and you don't realize you're seeing them, because your focus is elsewhere. That's all I'm saying at the moment about that.

How and why she got there won't be revealed until the very end, I'm afraid. There'll probably be a lot of hand-waving.

As for writing implements, how many of us regularly use nib pens, these days? How many teenagers? Us old fogeys might, but I doubt many young'uns do. She'll get an idea soon...

Penny

I'm thinking maybe she had a friend/aquaintance who took....

A class or enrichment course in calligraphy or is a budding artist back on Earth.

Those people would use nib pens be they dip or cartridge fountain types. The ball point requires tech similar to ball bearing making and the ability to sinter super hard metals. That's a few decades down the pike at least or more. Hum, though felt tips are not very complicated when I think of it.

Or the good old graphite pencil. Think low tech here, John.

As to Garia, at some point the royal family WILL want her to find a good match, both for appearances sake and for her own needs. She clearly seems seriously attracted to men and she is an attractive, exotic woman. Plus her close working relationship to the Prince is becoming known. Already some have assumed they might be/are lovers.

That might scare off suitable suitors or attract slime who think if they bed Garia they have the future kings "ear".

At least she is nearly fully recovered and can defend herself if not surprised.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. So you are implying that as a boy she saw a lot about women's fashions, from watching classmates, girls he had a crush on or dated, perhaps had a fashion conscious sister and subconsciously remembered it. Now her enhanced female mind is recalling it or what she thinks is her enhanced mind. Maybe just being female and people asking her for such knowledge is enough to trigger memories.

I'm inclined to think this body was tweaked and is more than it seems. The language ability alone is very odd and not natural. Hope she will learn to read and write their script soon. That or she must teach someone English.

P.P.S. She is technically a loyal subject now, in fact more so as she has pledged in public her oath to the King. And there is her current and future services to the kingdom. What better way to ensure/encourage royalty to the crown than if peerages can be obtained by merit, by selfless service to the crown. Already she has earned her honors, why can't she earn a place in the peerage? When you think on it, many of the inheritable titles are legacies of honors given to men who defended the king bravely in battle or did other valuable services. Why CAN'T the King and Queen create a few worthy NEW nobles, even hereditary ones? Or there is the lifetime but not inheritable route but Garia's contributions are and will be so great, her sacrifice -- leaving everyone behind on earth, changing sex and so on -- is so extream she is deserving of something outstanding.

P.P.P.S. Maybe the king in giving her a suitable title can set her up with lands and revenues sufficient to build/equip the beginnings of a university and combined research/development complex, a bit like a cross between a research university like UW-Wisconsin Madison and Edison's last lab where they could built everything from scientific devices to railroad locomotives. But well defended from attack just in case. The castle is fine for now but her needs, her *projects* will soon and have already in some ways outgrown it, IE the early papermaking factory and the float glass facility.

John in Wauwatosa

Memory

P.S. So you are implying that as a boy she saw a lot about women's fashions, from watching classmates, girls he had a crush on or dated, perhaps had a fashion conscious sister and subconsciously remembered it. Now her enhanced female mind is recalling it or what she thinks is her enhanced mind. Maybe just being female and people asking her for such knowledge is enough to trigger memories.

I'm inclined to think this body was tweaked and is more than it seems. The language ability alone is very odd and not natural. Hope she will learn to read and write their script soon. That or she must teach someone English.

I agree with you John. No way in hell did she memorize that as a guy. As far as I know memory works by priority. Thing you need and/or you're interested in you'll remember. In Gary'S case that would be "girl looks good/not good" and not why she looks that way.
Stuff you don't care for, you don't remember. But for some reason Garia remembers stuff Gary wouldn't even remotely been interseted in. No way that is natural. I mean remembering random details is one thing, but remembering whole outfits?
I doubt that.

Garia and Keren

I do so want to see the young couple married !

Gwendolyn

For some reason...

... I feel that Palarand is up for a whole lot of new social standings, Garia's among them, to be introduced into their society. Heck, I can imagine the scepticism when she tells them about unions, trade associations, the concepts of freedom of assembly, freedom of speech and freedom of press etc.

Freedoms

At the moment, with industry very much in the experimental stage, there aren't really companies as such. We've got sole traders (merchants, farmers etc.) who probably rely on family for help, and proto-factories where the first production lines for things such as paper are being developed, but the structures are probably more cooperative than the rigid hierarchy of modern day companies.

Palarand (and most territories within Anmar) is an absolute monarchy, however we're fortunate in that Robinar and Terys are benevolent. I'm not sure if there are structures in place to deal with misbehaving monarchs, but it may be there are policies that enable a transition of power other than murder.

With that in mind, it's possible there could be an early emphasis on the formation of social enterprises - companies where the profits are invested in the local community (i.e. social aims) rather than shareholders' pockets.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Companies and such

Companies do exist at the moment, but aren't widespread. Tanon's Transport and Warehousing (as we might call it today) is an example of such an outfit, with branches in a number of Valley cities. For the rest I'm guessing that they would be, as you suggest, mostly sole traders or family firms.

Social development of the kind you suggest is well into the future and probably beyond the scope of this story, although we have to remember the kind of society Gary was brought up in and the kind of attitudes he might bring to Anmar. I suspect his family aren't Tea Party members, though.

Penny

Shudder the thought!

Imagine the fun and games if a Tea Party member did somehow land on Anmar :)

Actually, thinking of companies, they probably generate enough profits to give the employees a reasonable income and allow reinvestment in the business, but it will probably be several years (possibly decades) before the nouveau riche emerge, using their wealth to directly buy into the lifestyle / power of the nobility. Likewise, there won't be any need for labour unions as such, although as on Earth, the Guilds are the forerunners of professional associations.

As has been said before, the population is still relatively small, and with Garia on board, their industrial development is getting a kick start without many of the mistakes / wars / ordnance improvements (many of which were ironically designed with the creator's intention they'd end wars...) Earth had.

-oOo-

Meanwhile, with the rainy season approaching earlier than expected, it'll be interesting to find out what Yod are up to, since as has been mentioned, logic would suggest it's an odd time of year to engage in military adventures.

As for the reasoning behind her transplant, I'd imagine it will be handled at the extreme end of the story (i.e. final couple of paragraphs) via an aside similar to that in which we learned the entities made a mistake - i.e. information revealed only to us, but to which none of the cast will be privy.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Marlin needs to learn

LibraryGeek's picture

Marlin needs to learn enlightened self-interest; the better he treats those under him, the more loyalty they will feel towards him, the better service he will receive. We'd like it if he treated them well because he felt it was how they should be treated, but I could be satisfied with his doing it because it was to his ultimate benefit, without true concern on his part. Pragmatism. While it would be best if he grew to care for people outside of himself, doing it from cold blooded calculation would still be an improvement.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

Marlin

At the moment Marlin is just a typical teenage boy, with a typical teenage boy's attitude to those around him. He's also potentially the heir to a Duchy, which means that he has been brought up with certain expectations of how the world works. He's probably a bit young to care about pragmatism. It's all about me, me, me and unfortunately for him Garia got there first. We'll have to see if she, plus the others, can make him see sense.

Penny

Memory and time

I'm kind of amazed about Garias memory. She was a boy. She shouldn't even have memorized something about female styles. It's utterly unimportant. But now for some reason she can remember everything. Even things that wouldn't have interested her. Thing that probably wouldn't even go to Short-term memory and not to long term memory at all.

How can she remember this? Either the god entity (I'll call them timelords) has recorded everything that went into her brain during her livetime and added it to her memories during her transformation/transportation, or they went back in time and recorded everything then.

Did they plan everything, did they catch her soul (=memory recorder?) and put it into a new body, or did they just do this by accident or out of convinience?

This is very interesting, but it opens more questions about Garias origin. I was amazed that she would remember so much about technology. But this obviously explains it.

I wonder which title she'll have in the end. The smartest thing for Marlin would to be to listen to Garia. He's just stupid and a bit too selfimportant. He might be a good ruler and a nice person once he realizes his own stupidity.
I wonder how intelligent he is. I mean intelligent people tend to be arrogant and his stupidity is mostly arrogacnce.

Thank you for writing this captivating story, I can't wait for the next chapter.

Beyogi

Aaaawwwhh

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.

But it had to come.

Societies such as Paraland need some degree of certainty in their order because of all the uncertainty created out of their seeming ignorance. Learning might bring with it, a degree of liberality but probably not without a degree of turmoil though not necessarily violent turmoil.

This story is becoming a fascinating deconstruct of anthropology and the whole ambit of sentient socieites. fascinating.

Loving it.

XZXX.

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Well, finally!

It's about time that someone recognizes the need for Garia's status to be arranged. She could end up being one of the most important people in the kingdom. She is already confused as to her future in the kingdom. Could she end up married to Keren? It would provide Paraland with a wise queen, and Keren does not seem as though he would resist sucha thing. In fact, they seem oddly well matched. The best romances start as friendships first.
I must admit, I think this story is brilliant, and I look forward to each new episode. There are many excellent tales here, and this is destined to take it's place in the classics.

Wren

Well Matched

"In fact, they seem oddly well matched."

Well, duh! The only problem is, nobody thinks that it's a practical solution, for all kinds of reasons. That's the fun, of course.

Penny

Things continue to develop

Brooke Erickson's picture

Things continue to develop in even more interesting ways.

A minor terminology note: "liege lady" is the female noble one is swearing fealty *to* (and liege lord is the male equivalent).

The person swearing fealty is a "sworn man" or "sworn woman" *if* they are a commoner.
If they are a noble, then they are a vassal.

Given the King's plans for Garia, she's definitely going to be swearing as a vassal. And that will (once he has figured out what "title" (position) he wants to give her) involve a far more detailed set of oaths.

Contract law is in part descended from medieval oaths of fealty. Those oaths were *very* detailed spelling out the duties the vassals owed their liege and the responsibilities of the liege towards the vassal. In great detail.

A "simple" oath might detail what lands (fief) the vassal was granted, what moneys, products or troops he owed to the liege (and how often) as well as what protections the liege was giving the vassal (usually amounting to "if you get attacked, I'll defend you).

For Garia, there'd likely be duties of her position, possibly a small bit of property (maybe some income producing land, or maybe just a building suitable for labs and a school), and some sort of income (assuming she wasn't granted properties that produced income).

Then there'd be a list of the sort of authority she was allowed to exercise (likely stuff that will shock her and surprise/annoy some of the more recalcritant nobles). And the protections she'd get.

I'd not be surprised to have her wind up with authorization for a "small" guard force (the core of which will be her training group), some buildings for workshops/schools and maybe some land (if the King is smart, he'd give her something that isn't worth much now but is well suited for some of the industries that are going to get introduced)

Hmmm. Has she described copyright and patents yet? Granting her a small royalty on some of the stuff she introduces could result in quite an income, even if it's something like "1% to the Crown, 10% of the Crown's share to Garia"). Come to think of it, 10% royalty with 9% to the Crown and 1% to Lady Garia might be workable. :-)

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Hmmm

I think that is already being done as it was negotiated by Queen Terys on Garia's behalf with regard to the manufacture of forks.

The term of exclusivity is pretty short though compared to a 20 year USA patent but then they don't have a patent system yet of course.

I really love the anthropological aspects of this entire thing. This a really a wonder of imagination and a bit of scholarship too on Penny's part.

Of course we are left with a mini-cliffhanger of what her actual title is :P.

Kim

Please, don´t

...even mention USA patent system as it today, its dinosaur in which people can patent farting at bathroom (or similar thing like specific hand move in controling some apple gadgets). Today is common to patent every stupid thing, wait till everyone uses it, and them sue them for fees. Simply said: its evil.

And well I know it

I interviewed to be a patent examiner with them and I kid you not there is a quota that an examiner has to meet. They were suitably vague on how one can find prior art among their system also.

I decided not to pursue the opportunity.

Kim

You're right about the

You're right about the "liege lady" business, and I may edit the chapter to better reflect this. I'm not sure I'd use the word "vassal", though, as Gary wouldn't necessarily have come across it unless he was a history buff. Even if so, Garia might not relate it to her own position with Robanar.

As for the rest, that mostly happens in the next chapter, so you won't have long to wait to find out.

Yep, she'll get "royalties", which after all from the name means a token sum for each thing created and expressly granted by the King (the 'patent'). This happened for the forks, as someone else has commented. Expect the same thing in the future, and expect Terys to be as hot on the horse-trading.

Penny

I would suggest

... that she pledges as simply being a subject to the King. Simple and to the point with no specific classism implied.

She will of course be among the elite now. Her ranking among the nobility pecking order will be interesting. She is way beyond being a knight of the realm as Elizabeth II does a lot. I do not see her giving out peerages much these days but then again, how many free parcels of land for estates are out there. Yes there are some publicly managed ones now due to nobles not being able to maintain them but I believe they can still live there if they wanted, just not have any control. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Kim

Time Lords?

I seem to remember, early on in this tale, a conversation between the entities, that caused Gary to show up on this strange planet, to the effect that there had been a miscalculation. Gary, the boy, ending up being Garia, the girl.

Recently we were given the clue that Garia might not be the first and only transplant from Earth.

I suspect the upgrades and enhancements Garia is blessed with were the result of advancement along the learning curve of these mysterious entities. The first transplantees possibly didn't have the speech module that allows one to speak and understand a foreign language, hence they were probably taken as raving lunatics to be discounted and ignored or even witches to be burned at the stake. The artifacts they might have carried to be safeguarded by the Questers as an unexplained curiosity.

Now Garia has a memory jogger module that allows for near total recall of seemingly trivial details that impinged upon her consciousness in the most peripheral manner.

It’s good to see Garia getting a station in life that will allow her to contribute to a fuller capacity. What will be her new title? Royal Quester in charge of new technologies?

Now let us ponder the question of who will be Garia’s life mate. I would guess it won’t be Keren. Even though they are becoming good friends, it would seem to be a bit on the incestuous side. Perhaps it will be Marlin? Yes, he pretty much hates her now and she can’t stand his arrogance. But that can change in the blink of an eye as they come to understand each other and the boy matures.

I add my thanks to Penny for sharing this wonderful story with us. When a new chapter appears it goes to the top of my “Must Read Now” list.

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Linda Jeffries
Too soon old, too late smart.
Profile.jpg

Relationships

Garia isn't related to anyone else on the planet, so no relationship she could ever form could possibly be 'incestuous', if you meant it in that sense.

As for titles, that will come slowly. Robanar will try not to upset his other nobles by jumping Garia up several grades when she's not been on the planet that long. While a lot happens fairly quickly in this story, certain aspects will necessarily take much longer.

Thank you for commenting,

Penny

Taming of the Rude?

If Garia and Marlin do end up involved with each other if could be a role reversal version of "The Taming of the Shrew".

Michelle B

Yet another amazing chapter.

Great story thus far. This is one of my favorite stories I'm following and, well, I check everyday whether there is a new chapter to read :P. I know, I could just be a little more patient and check once a week, but I can't help it, this story is just too good.

I really enjoy the kind of world you created. It's especially the small things such as pel, but also the detail in which you describe their clothing and so many other things that make it a such an amazing world you created. Makes me wonder how much effort you put into it, I'd certainly need a lot of time to make all these things up and to research a lot of it.

Well, keep up the good work I'd say and good luck with future chapters,

Angarato.

I'm sorry

I can write reasonably fast most of the time but putting one of these out each day would be beyond me, I think. (And I think Erin might object to me flooding the front page.)

I try to get one out a week but as my health is less than indifferent at the moment it's been a bit of a struggle meeting that schedule. I just get'em out whenever I can.

As for the world I've created, well, that just goes to show what kind of a weird brain I have... Research? Some, but probably not as much as I should be doing!

I'm pleased you're enjoying it.

Penny

Feel Good Chapter

terrynaut's picture

Not much happened in this chapter but it did leave me feeling good. It served its purpose. And it's still my current favorite.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

great chapter

I still expect trouble from Marlin.

I hope the opposite

First, I must say this is a truly great tale, and one I would purchase in a dead tree format. But on with my original thought (it is so lonely). As was mentioned above, a relationship betwixt Keren and Garia would be wonderful, but might be seen as non-politic, since I am sure he will be betrothed to the daughter of another kingdom to strengthen ties. And would it not be better if Martin were to mature enough to save someone rather than endanger them? A relationship that could be built on trust would be better than one on lies. anyways, just got around to reading this wonderful story.

Diana

Practical suggestion

.... but sooooo lacking in romance :P.

Kim

Somewhere Else Entirely -33-

With Garia now a citizen, will any of the young nobility seek her hand in marriage?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

What a wonderfull story. I

What a wonderfull story. I just love the charcters. The detail and world you created is like a R.R. Tolkin novel. I hope we hear much more of Garia.

Belonging

This chapter brought sudden tears to my eyes. What a wonderful story this is! The feeling of belonging is such a good feeling!

Vivien

Family

It looks like she has a family, i wonder if the king has reconsidered letting her and Keren marry they would make a great couple.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Just don't understand

Jamie Lee's picture

It didn't seem anyone picked up on the slight from Marlin when he apologized to Garia for his treatment of her the day before, implying she is a servant.

While Marlin offered lip service, he's still hot under the collar towards Garia, as evident by his stomping off after the meal.

Now his ire should be right up there now that Robanar proclaimed Garia Lady Garia, a member of the family, and under his protection. And because Marlin considers Garia a servant, he's really going to pop a cork now that she's been made a Lady. Best get the mat ready, it's going to be needed.

Others have feelings too.

I'm sure

Garia did notice that Marlin was an obtuse bit of stick in the mud. Probably she will have to deal with him yet again.