FTL-5...Faster than Life.

Printer-friendly version

FTL-5 … Faster Than Life.

Chapter 5

………………. Six months later.

“Easy peezy it’s going to be just a short trip. Recruit Stone; please feed me the nav-vectors so we’re know where we’re going. Alright Takari run your checks and take us out.”

“Yes, sir.” was my reply as I streamed (transmitted/e-mail…slang for data-stream.) the 3-d vectors and measurement to Akira Takari. I had to adjust for the singularity curve from the core. It gives of G’s that influence flight when you’re out in space. I’m in Shuttle training or Skiff flight and while it’s not my turn behind the controls I am being trained in what is my job as a Navigation officer. Yes officer, I’ll be a bridge officer eventually.

Tak short for Takari was doing pretty good. Me I’m still fighting trans-vector vertigo. That’s when you’re moving in space doing zero gravity maneuvers and the inertial dampeners and artificial gravity systems keep you from being turned to goop at a slow eight thousand mph. about Mach 12 or medium low thrust for a shuttle. TVV is that feeling where what you see through the window translates into some really ugh feelings for some people especially when the shuttle moves in one way and your brain is telling your body to expect different. TVV immunity levels are marked and the highest scores are the ones who make it through to be pilots.

I can handle about a stress level of about four, four and a half is pushing it, five and I’m getting sick. We’re getting close to a five. I try to keep from blowing chunks. I knew there might be a five + on this run, but they encourage you to sigh onto these training runs. That’s the fleet for you, getting you to push and push until things that you thought were extraordinary are the ordinary.

“Alright Tak, spin it around and bring us back, back, back and stop.” I look to the captain and breathe once we’re sitting still. He get’s on the comlink and get’s us tethered to tow. Yes we’re literally flying a tug.

We get tethered to this huge cargo bunker that was dropped off in orbit around a gas giant with only one moon. These things have great obits we can use for drop off points reducing the time it takes to stop and re-supply for general goods and stuff. Specific orders are one of those things that either come on a docking supply ship or a resupply station.

You’d be surprised at the sheer number of what amounts to flying warehouses out in space. Or maybe not.

We get tethered up and the captain goes to check all the mooring lines and we can here him swearing at one of the greener kids that we picked up. Yeah I’m fifty and according the rule of general principal you’re a kid as long as you’re a recruit.

I’m piped the vectors, more slang okay it’s just another downloading slang and I’m given the size and mass specs on the cargo pod and we start pulling out of the orbital path. I take another deep breath saying as we get underway. “Okay Akira, take this vector and approach and we should come up on the dorsal bays just keep it around a thousand miles per hour.”

We or rather I still use miles per hour, in fact we use metric too and several others. In the colonies one way to distinguish your culture that you’ve created is to use a unique system of measurements.

Home was one of the NCC worlds in The Union, and that stands for The United-Christian-Colonies a very old American based culture. That was a nation on Earth. A lot of Colonies before and even after the formation of the Colonial Union government was formed are based off of the cultures of Earth.

Why is it when things go wrong it’s when everything is going good? I know we pulled a five and I didn’t hurl. It was a good day until the mass specs started to shift on the cargo pod, not just me being off but they were shifting.

“Captain I’ve got a problem. The mass-specs on the package is shifting.” I call out.

He turns looking between pissed and scared. “Tak, cut that thing loose now.”

Tak looks at him and goes to cut the tethers and there’s a flash to my implant of a fusion reaction kicking up and a spike a huge spike in the packages EM readings. It happen so fast that I can only remember it in slow motion. There were these pale blue streaks of light coming past us and red mist sprays out of Tak, and the Captain’s left arm just snaps off half way down his forearm and I get hit by the arm chunk and the jagged bone slices my face.

Then it was fast too fast as the Captain yelled at me. “Stone!, Stone! Get the heat shields down!” That’s the tinted glass-steel thing that slides over the window. Akira’s still in the seat dead as it get’s and it happened so fast I’m getting sprayed by his still pumping blood as I hit the buttons…it’s a good thing the Captain told me. My wet hair’s getting pulled at the spider webbing holes in our window. We’re venting…we’ve been shot….

The Captain is hitting the blast doors between the flight compartment and the back half of the shuttle. There’s stressed metal sounds as there’s fist sized dents in the dozens forming it the blast doors…. “Stone! Get your butt in that seat and get us out of here!” I sit and try to get us out of there, there’s blood all over the controls.

I blast us out of there and there’s this hard thump and the sound of metal tearing in back of the shuttle. The Captain is spraying quit clot bandage foam over his forearm stump. “Stone get us into the hangar, closest one ASAP!”

I’m trying and we’re swerving and swaying with me fucking up the pitch and yaw something bad. My heart’s in my throat as there’s another metallic scream and that horrible venting wind sound. I hear the Captain’s gun discharging and we hit the ship hull twice bouncing before we hit the hangar and the emergency catch nets.

The metal sound get’s worse and I turn to see this thing ripping it’s way through the blast doors. It’s huge, kind of hunchbacked made of metal and robotics and looks between humanoid and modular four lethal big arms are coming out of it’s torso and there’s some kind of mini-gun with a heavy flat armored cable coming from it.

But the most horrible thing is the eyes, the eyes are human or were…the eyes are flesh the pupils are not. It laughs as it’s forcing it’s way inside.

[Union scum, I shall show you the final reckoning you luddites deserve….and when the light of reason came to the people, we were shown the true way, we cast off the trappings of flesh that denied to us the wonders the creator meant for us to know, no more were man nor woman, father, mother, child all washed away as we were shown the one true way.] it’s voice was deep and terrible and synthetic as it quoted some Kind of scripture at us.

“Yeah your mother was a shit cycler (Slang for solid waste re-cycler.) Technark scumbag!”

The Captain’s yelling as he pops round after round into the thing. I pull my side arm and I’m firing too trying to keep calm as I can but the alloy 10mm rounds are just knocking the thing around…barely. It’s the first time I’ve ever fired it off the ranges.

The Borg thing…It lets out this electronic scream of anger from getting pounded by our guns and from behind it flips a pod up from a shoulder plate and there’s a thwip-pop sound of it firing a laser at me. It makes a sound from the literal cooking of the air as it fires not the light…I guess it doesn’t matter as it burns through the seat beside me and cuts my seat it half and kept going out of the shuttle. I barely get out of the way. It cut’s the poor Captain in half.

He falls in two cauterized halves screaming and still firing shots until the fact that he’s dead catches up with him.

A hail of weapons fire from behind it makes it turn from me and I hear the whine of a electromagnetic driver, the gun on it’s arm…Oh god, that’s…that’s a rail gun. It’s what it hit us with. The Borg thing turns from me I’m not a threat my gun’s doing nothing to it’s armor.

It’s firing on the others, it’s laughing again. I should be wetting myself or freaking out but I’m just seeing what it did to poor Akira and picture my friends, Bunkie’s, my new family getting hurt. I kneel and pop the floor panel off and grab the one thing that might do something the main power cords.

Mind you I’m no engineer but between it’s EM driver and it’s laser I’ve got a good idea of where it’s power systems are. I take two of the cables and step on the ends of their jacks and pull stripping them off and sparks fly, I’m not electrocuted…yet. The Technark thing is laughing again and firing and I take both exposed cables and scream as I shove them as close to the things power source and there’s a flare of light like welder’s flash that hurts and the thing screams. There’s something more organic in the scream but unfortunately it’s more almost bug like instead of human.

The light’s in the shuttle die. I feel my hands burn. But…but…I hear the rail gun grind to an un-powered stop. It turns and hits me with a hydraulic punch and sends me flying into the hull. I’m hurting, burned, stunned and it hurts to breathe and I can’t see.

I hear the gunfire and there’s the sound of more combat. I black out until I feel lips? Lips on mine and I can’t help the coughing. I hear. “We got her! She’s alive!” It’s hard to try to do anything. I hear voices around me. “Corneal burns!”

“Rads at 9 and a half she’s hot!”

“Broken ribs, punctured lung!”

I’m lifted and even though I got through the rating 5 maneuver getting lifted…I’m assuming on a stretcher makes me blow chunks. Then things fade to black.

***

I was out for a long time.

Waking in the rejuve tanks is a strange way to wake up and floating in the nutrient fluid while the stuff and the nanites work is kind of….well it’s like nothing I’ve ever experienced.

First one’s in aside from the medics is Corporal Stillwater. She walks up and I feel the flicker of my On Body Computer linking up to the ship and then we’re in a comlink situation. She smiles at me. “I’ve no Idea where you got your guts from Stone but I’m damn glad that you did.”

“That thing, that…cyborg thing…what was it?”

“That was a Technarchy hunter killer unit. It cut and resealed the pod to set an ambush for us.”

“Us but we’re cadets?”

“Not a problem to them, we think it’s part of a spread offensive.”

“Spread offensive?”

“Tekker’s don’t need to live or breathe the same as we do so they send out suicide borgs out for their cause. They hitch rides in cargo pods and anywhere the can hide in order to ambush ships. This could have just as easily been one of our merchant ships.”

“But we got hit instead.”

“Yeah but you were on a training run, your Captain should have had you guys scan the pod as procedure and you might have caught the thing in there before what happened happened.”

“I knew the regs too Corporal I should have scanned it.”

“Yeah, you should have but you’re a recruit mistakes happen. He was your mission C.O. He was supposed to know better”

“How many did we lose?”

“Sixteen in the cargo bay, there was no one there ready for that rail gun. There would have been a lot more if you never did what you did.”

“I was desperate and playing it by ear.”

“That’s the way it goes in a real fight, adapt, overcome or die.”

“Yeah but I nearly died.”

“You did kid, you stopped breathing in there for awhile, you had to be revived.”

“I think I remember that.”

“Good, thank your medics when they pop you.”

“Yes Corporal.”

She walks up to my tank and puts her fist against it. It takes me a minute to swim there, I’m not used to this but once there I do the same.

“You did good Erin, I’m damn proud of you.” She gives me a curt nod then leaves. I’m choked up and it’s hard to cry with the mask on but I do a little.

I’ve wanted, needed to hear words like that all my life. Home I think the term is latch key or used to be but once you’re old enough where you’re learning and can do most things for yourself you pretty much get left alone. I mean after all…praise equals vanity and the rest of that rot. But I think a lot of that was my family too. Some of the recruits from home I’ve talked to had close families, some are even good with the ones that changed like me. Some even get mail.

Some, my family is directly in the middle of the herd of sheep and that’s what they like.

But I’ve never really had much praise. I’ve never had it said with my real name attached to it.

The Apollo’s Commander came in after that. I was still basking in the glow of Stillwater’s praise when he came in with his aids. I got a ping to my implant from one of them to warn me. It’s hard to salute in this stuff. He links up.

“At ease recruit. I’m glad you’re still with us Stone. It’s not everyday we get a non-combatant MOS (Military Operational Specialty…basically your job in the corps.) being a hero in a heavy combat situation. Hell of a job woman, hell of a job.”

“Thank you Commander sir.”

“I’ve put you in for several commendations, you deserved them.”

“But sir, all I did was get lucky.”

“You kept your head and followed order Stone in confined combat conditions and still had it in you to improvise a solution that save a lot of lives. You did the job that we’ve trained you for and then some Stone. Here in the fleet we actually reward those who do that. This was what it was Erin.”

I look at him and he looks at me. He’s an older man, bald but with a mustache and a van dyke beard that goes good with his mocha colored skin, built too he’s a handsome guy and even through the tank I can feel his presence, charisma.

“I’ve fought those things myself. I’ve lost friends too because of them. I’ve seen heavy combat troops lose their calm facing down the Tekker’s Erin. You deserve this and you’ll take the medals when they come through and that’s an order.”

“Yes sir.”

He does the fist to the tank thing with me too and he’s gone to see the other wounded.
I’m left in a little bit of a “Command me, Command me fantasy about the man for a few hours before I realize I’m still network connected.

I could just slip into my old habits of all the VR stuff and useless messing around. My VR mail box is full and between the recording of well wishes from friends and other’s here I don’t really know I’m crying again in my mask and I’ve never felt so…real, loved, acknowledged…it’s not the fame of it but there’s hundreds of people that know Erin Stone and not my old self so it’s this rush of really stepping into my life. I end up talking to a lot of people in VR windows and my Bunkie’s too Heck even Sergeant Svenko VR massaged me from her recovery tube and told me that I did good. She was in the response team that came in to deal with the Tekker.

Over the next ten days it really saves my sanity. I sleep a lot, have more than a few nightmares of the stuff that went down on that training run. With everything hooked up and my neural spike from my nightmares triggers an alert and has me talking with Caitlyn…she’s The Companion assigned to me for my therapy, Sunshine is with her a lot of the time it helped having them there and I’m pulled into full Sim-sense when that happens being with both of them in a feels next best thing to real being hugged and rocked and comforted by one of my friends and by a woman who becomes a friend and after talking about the action she’s seen. A woman I respect.

Caitlyn’s my first lesbian experience too. Not sex but after a real hellish nightmare were the Tekker was dissecting me and rebuilding me into one of them I freaked, I freaked really badly. Like I said it wasn’t sex but Cait, held me in a special way and she kissed me calm, kissed my away from that mental cliff I was heading for and it was Sim…but it was kiss, talk and cry for a long, long time. All of that, plus her experience and being trained helps more than and purely clinical shrink ever could.

It’s different in Fleet. Fleet is family, More and more I’m seeing that.

Even Anna thawed a little. She contacted me late at night and woke me. She looked like she’d been crying, her eyes were red and she glared at me. “I’m glad you weren’t stupid enough to get yourself killed Erin. You had to be the fucking glory hog though didn’t you? Well….If…If you got your fucking self killed I’d have never have forgiven you.” Then she clicked off. I know it wasn’t really friendly buy Anna, crying over it and bothering in the first place was a big thing.

It was day twelve when it happened. I was getting out in the morning and it was the middle of the night when Patrick Mako came in. I was up going over study materials through the link when he came in and he talked to my medic at the controls who nodded and got up and left…

I watched as he walked over like a predator peeling out of his clothes….as he got closer and closer. Until he was naked…

Patrick’s body is amazing, a professional soldier and swimmer with this muscles defined by the pressure from the depths he can handle. Six foot two, about two hundred ponds of lean muscle and that exotic skin with that merman like scales as part of his skin…the look is even more exotic when he’s naked. And with that dark hair loose and the way his eyes just seem to shimmer in the dim lighting and he really, really has a nice hard…well.

“Patrick?” I send to him through the link.

“Erin…I can’t wait, I can’t it’s too much.”

“What…?”

“I like you, I’ve liked you since I first seen you get in from conversion. I liked you when we connected in the gun range and there’s chemistry there….beside’s the scuttlebutt from your bunkmates says you’re into me too.”

“I…oh…nosey bitches.”

He laughs, it’s a nice laugh.

“Erin?”

“Yes Patrick?”

“Can I come in?”

“Please…”

He sinks into the tank and there’s an awkward moment as we get together and he takes my breathing mask off and he kisses me…then there’s something else as he breathes…he breathes for both of us and we never really end up breaking the kiss the entire time we make love.

Losing my virginity hurt. But it was a fulfilling hurt and the blood set off a few alarms that sent two medics in to check and seeing us making love in the tank they let us have our time together. It was up against the glass, it was floating while…it was being vocal in our link up while he breathed for me, while he kissed me. I’m not going to get into too much details but it changes you. If you’re like me or born like I was I should say. It was romantic though and one of the best nights ever. And it was nothing, nothing like any fantasy I could have had myself.

He stayed…even after he stayed and spooned with me even though I had to put the mask back on. But there was something so…

Falling asleep drifting in this place him spooned against me and feeling his body heat, his hard body and muscles against my back, his arms around me and his chin, head resting on my shoulder as I drifted off.

up
225 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Eeek!

Borg space mines! I don't like the sound of that! Even with a scan the thing might've passed though. Nasty nasty. On another note I am wondering what is the high end, (good) reaction to tvv and what is bad. Ie wash out for pilots.

Good stuff!
hugs
Grover

Things needed a bit of a kick.

I'll introduce other stuff later on. Uhm TVV is a lot like G's and human average tolerance is like like a three and a five is for standard pilots and seven is like for combat pilots. The minimum for military pilots job classification is a six. Eight's tend to be ace's and nine's are super elites, there's never been a ten. Ten is the top of the human scale. Erin will end up being a borderline six.

Thanks for reading and commenting.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

clarification?

so, is that 6 bordering on an almost 7 or is it a 5 bordering on 6? just curious :)
Thanks for the great stories! Hugs!
Diana

Erin will be

rated a five bordering a six. I'm really glad that you read and liked this chapter.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

You said that ten is an

You said that ten is an unachievable human TVV limit, right? Soooo, what about non-humans? Tekkers, for instance? Or AIs, if there are any? Or non-Earth-originated sentient life forms? ;)

Oh, and BTW what's the scale limit on TVV itself (not the human tolerance to it), just how much can be achieved in usual circumstances, in combat circumstances, and in controlled setting circumstances? Just so that we know.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Well no one's sure about the Non-Humans.

Tekkers are a bit better than humans at TVV values but there's still that perceptual component of it, there's still that sort of human part in there that limits them. As for AI's they can to a point be better than people at flying but AI's have limits still according to their programming and while they can come up with new ideas they have to double or even triple check things before they do somethings. Most known AI's just can't go and just do things, they can't just do something.
It's why they haven't taken over things, no matter how advanced the AI they just can't create that unthinking instinct that organics have.
So far humankind has not made first contact officially with other life forms in the galaxy yet. Non-Human TVV would depend on the setting that they were evolved in but since there has been no contact no set scale has been needed.

Any Help?
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Okay, it answers the first half

Basically, that no non-humans are present, and the artificials or enhanced have their own limits that make them still in the scale, or they don't get to do things that need evaluation of that parameter.

However, there still isn't an answer about the scale measurement - what exactly is supposed to be measured to produce a TVV value? The amount of discrepancy between the instincts and reflexes of the body, and the actual observed movement? If that's the only one thing present, then I'd say such a scale is fundamentally subjective and is produced by measuring a number of the reactions and producing a baseline, for the situation.

And if it's not, then probably there is a measurable component that allows to anticipate the TVV value of a given maneuver and/or situation.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

TVV Values

Are based as a formula based on a large scale study on humans reactions to the TVV factors in the space environment. It's essentially a tolerance test that uses response back factors for each level like how much you can take before you're too shook up or messed up to be of use.

Most of all it's just a plot device prop really. My way of replacing the use of G's in motion terms which are no longer accurate because of inertial dampeners and such. And because G's is a measure of actual varied gravity now.

*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

G Force

A quick and simply guide is to say 0 to 60 in 2 seconds (Formula One racer) is about 1.45G. The same car can pull up to 6Gs decelerating from extreme speeds. 124 mph to a complete stop in just 2.21 seconds, in only 213 ft. another example is the Space shuttle used to pull about 3G during launch and reentry. Most extreme roller coasters will hit 4 to 5 Gs briefly. Note: People have experienced problems after riding under those conditions. :)

Suicide cyborgs is just wrong!
Grover

Well just use the metric

Well just use the metric system... then 9.81 m/s² are 1G
You won't need strange formulas...

v=a*t and l=v*t

I don't know why americans still use the old system... SI is way easier.

When one considers the cost...

Puddintane's picture

The USA is one of the largest economies in the world, so just think of the enormous "inventory" of buildings, vehicles, legal definitions, building codes, and all the paraphernalia of daily interaction that would have to be changed or re-described in official documents. How long did it take the UK to "decimalise" its currency? Was there any advantage at all in having pounds, shillings, and pence, not to mention florins, quids, crowns, ha'pennies, tuppence, and the like. Mind you, having "tuppence in your shoe" had a certain flair, but the entire UK is about the size of California, which is just one state. Try changing a country with fifty states (and assorted territories and dependencies), all of which are effectively "devolved," so there is little uniformity between legal systems, and only limited federal oversight.

The problem is not which system is "better," but what's practical.

The French tried (in a fit of rationality) to change the length of weeks and months, because calculating with seven-day periods, months of variable lengths, and leap years was simply an old-fashioned adherence to the bad ideas of the past. We see how far they got with the idea, despite their success with SI. So before any of us become too smug about our current stage of evolution, let's consider how ready we are to give up Fridays after work.

People change at their own pace. In the USA, the bottles for soft drinks are typically measured in litres, so one can't say that things aren't changing, however glacial progress on the ground may seem, and in the meantime all the mechanics have to keep two sets of tools, one SAE and one metric, to handle the uncomfortable blend of two systems.

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

It was politics why we

It was politics why we didn't change. Congress didn't have enough will power to over come people's resistance to change.

The cost argument doesn't hold up to well. Look at any mechanics tool box. You see two sets of tools metric and English. If we forced the change back in the 70's we would be able to get along with just metric tools by now. NASA lost a Mars probe in 1999 because of a metric/English units mic up. JPL was metric, Lockheed Martin used English units.

Speaking of cars. All the cars sold in the US for the last 20 years are metric. The only thing that displays English units is the speedometer and odometer. And those can usually be changed easily.

The size of the US is poor argument. Europe has more people and has switched to metric.

As for legal documents. Both metric and English can coexist for awhile. They currently coexist. What about all those legal documents describing all those metric cars sold in the US.

Documents like building codes are pretty much centralized. Basically it beyond the technical ability of any big city let alone a small town to create a building code. Therefore all locals pass into law UBC(Uniform Building Code - Now defunct) and IBC(International Building Code) with a few local amendments. Guess what UBC(defunct) is in both English and Metric. IBC is in metric.

G and metric system

Except the use of value for G isn't necessarily the standard gravity. We used 9.78 in last years of our Obligatory school as well as in Gymnasial Physics. Probably not in academic levels physics, however, unless the value sought is local instead of standard.

More science and math that I have:)

TVV values are more based on how you can handle the perceived factors of reactions in flight. It's a combination of that and how we handle G's. With the advent of inertia dampening systems actual G's of force rarely apply except as a measure of gravity levels. The human body still has hardwired reactions though to the way we think we should move.

Now on measuring systems Metric and Imperial/Standards are the most commonly used as a matter of cultures. There are even stranger systems out there that fit other cultures in space as it exists in this story line.

Now Erin grew up in an American Christian based culture so mentally she thinks in inches, feet and miles per hour as well as in English.

Metric however politically referred to as the standards of measurement in the Colonial Union. However there are On Body Computers that translate this stuff for the everyday person and people are trained in at least both those systems.

But what great comments and love the science stuff.

Thanks for the great stuff You bunch and thanks for writing:)
*Big Huge Geeky Hugs:)*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

shows what I know :(

always thought Gravity was 32.someodd feet per second squared (32.x ft/sec^2)
sigh
next thing you know there'll only be 8 planets! (Pluto will always be a planet to me because it has a moon and is not rotating around a larger non-solar body)

Diana

More than me:)

I'm just making half of this stuff up for the story. I like science I like science fiction but sometimes the fiction is wrecked by OCD detailed science.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

The truth is everyone is right

I was taught that the average used value is 9.8 meters per second in a second, with variations (from longitude, and from local anomalies caused by deposits of minerals, oil, and the like) are generally ranging from 9.78 to 9.81, which means everyone is correct where the metric system is concerned! :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

wow, what a chapter

death, and then sex, wow. And the feeling of being acknowledged as a woman, for most of us maybe the best thing we can hope for.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I'm so glad it's wow worthy.

I wanted to break scene into this and start getting things moving for more of the story and stuff. I'm glad I'm not losing the personal side in this though. That's going to be the hardest point.

Thanks so much for reading and enjoying this Dorothy:)
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Borg suicide drones

Eww... the borg use suicide drones... Stupid fanatics. Couldn't they in their replacomania replace the religous center in their brains? What do they believe in? The ultimate machinisation? Well whatever, it is probably stupid and not understandable for anyone who hasn't been brainwashed before.

Thank you for writing this interesting story,
I can't wait to see how the conflict will proceed.

*hugs*
Beyogi

The Technarchy are pychos

and it wouldn't matter if that part was replaced it's written into their operating systems. They believe that through mechanization they can explore and experience and master the universe in a way the downgraded organics never could and it's their duty to unify all life under the perfect banner of the Technarchy.

Thank you for enjoying this and commenting Beyogi.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

something for everyone

wow, this chapter had it all, space battle, recovery (and sex) in the bacta tank, acceptance and a family feeling from shipmates.
overall a great space-opera, keep it coming.
thanks

Thanks Lonewolf!

I'm so glad that you liked this and got so much out of it. I really tried to get stuff in there like all of that and make the fight plausible was kind of hard to hit the right balance for.
Thanks for writing and commenting, it really helps me keep on keeping on:)
*Hugs and howls*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Very cool, Bailey!

I'm so jealous! Romance,Fantasy, Horror, Sci-Fi...and all so good! What's next? Tell me it's a cookbook!

Erin is another cool character. I like her a lot! I think she's going to go very far in this. What am I thinking! She just went all the way (and kinda in public, yet!). Girl's gonna get a reputation!

Wren

Thanks Wren:) You're always such a sweetie.

I'm glad that you liked this too:) The fleet sees getting it on as a good thing and crew bonding like the Roman's did rather than a bad thing. It's generally not frowned upon unless you're doing it during a duty shift. They also have really good contraception.

I've still got to work on that cookbook don't I?
Thanks for the great comments Wren.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Great story still love it as

nikkiparksy's picture

Great story still love it as Erin is coming into her own and finally connecting with people.
Looking forward to the next chapter Thank you for a great read:).

You're very welcome Nikki:)

I'm really glad that you enjoyed the chapter and the series. It's as much about the connection as anything else really. Thanks for sending up the great comment.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Effectively Written...

And as someone pointed out we needed some conflict or a disaster of some sort for our heroine to show her abilities.

But I got the opposite impression from (it seems) everybody else from Patrick's activity. Seems to me it's awfully close to date rape when he approaches a woman who's hospitalized in the final stages of literally being put back together -- one he knows is infatuated with him though he only interacted with her once -- and "convinces" her to have sex with him. Where's she going to go?

He presumably has no way of knowing or suspecting it's her first time, and that she might want to save her virginity for a more romantic or at least consensual set of circumstances (or even that she cares about that at all; it sounds as though her background is far from the norm here). Under the conditions and circumstances, it would have been really hard for her to tell him.

I don't suppose she's going to hate him in the morning. But unless they really do turn out to be made for each other (or he dies before she finds out otherwise), I can't help thinking that at some point she's going to feel manipulated.

Eric

Date rape...I'm not really sure.

I can agree with that perspective given the sexual freedom on board the ship and the era in itself. Plus there is or could be the things that she and her friends talked about even if I literally didn't write those conversations out. And there is the fact they were talking through their uplinks and she very well could have told him to leave, call the medics or for security.

And he did ask to join her...while naked.

Would it even be an issue if the gender were reversed.

Why can't the hero girl have the hot guy come to her as a heroic reward?

Thanks for the perspective though and the comment.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Since You Asked...

Thanks, Bailey, for the response.

"Would it even be an issue if the sex were reversed?"

Well, yes, actually. But then it's the question of a groupie type eagerly giving the guy what she thinks he wants, under circumstances where he'd have trouble turning her down even if he wanted to -- with the added problem that she'd probably feel insulted if he did reject her. (And I suppose one runs into the question of his ability to perform, and what happens if he can't.)

"Why can't the hero girl have the hot guy come to her as a heroic reward?"

If he came to her when she was released from care -- and in her own territory, so to speak -- I'd have no problem at all. What bothers me is that she's something of a captive here. If they're as interested in each other as he thinks they are, he doesn't need to take advantage of the situation -- which is the way this comes across to me.

As you point out, it's not as if she's completely helpless. But given her own feelings, it's a lot easier for her to let her body respond than it would be to try and contact someone because her mind has theoretical misgivings based on her virginity. In a more equal -- and probably more romantic -- situation, she could make a more balanced decision. There's no real reason to think that decision would be different, but she'd be more of a partner in it.

As you said, it's a different perspective. Main reason I brought it up was because a scene which you appeared to consider a positive development gave me a feeling of foreboding instead.

Best, Eric

I get where you're coming from

with this Eric and I can see where I think it was kind of a hot scene and a loving moment gives you the wiggins. Maybe I'll put the fact in bugs one of the bunkies in the next chapter.
Given though Erin's past and the culture she doesn't have a problem with it herself. This was still somewhat private and romantic considering people hook up in the showers before duty sometimes.
All in taste really.
Good perspective though.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

I loved this series before

and now it seems even better! Your combat adds another dimension to a great story.

Thanks Salrissa:)

I was really trying to write that in a way where Erin doesn't come across as a Mary Sue type where she kicks butt without really getting scathed. I wanted to sort of show something they were told about up front and real for those in the story.

I'm so glad that you loved this story. Coming from someone who put out such a good SF/SFantasy series it means a lot.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Wow again!

I loved the whole thing, but I do have to mention one thing in particular.

While some appear to have issues with it, I thought your love scene was rather tastefully done and extremely romantic while managing to also be scorching!

Keep em coming!

Oh wait...

Valentines_face_crop.jpg

Battery.jpg

Thanks so much Abby.

I always love when you comment and while I thought the sex scene was great and stuff too I can get Eric's POV. I still really was very pleased with the way this turned out.

Thank You so much for reading and commenting Abby.
*Very Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

each time reading...

Each time reading this chapter I'm struck by the emotion found in the recovery process.

Good stuff ^^

*hugs*
Jenna

Resistance is futile, sort of

Jamie Lee's picture

Hum drum should stay hum drum. Not be spoiled by an deranged freak who thinks his kind are the only life which should exist. But it got the message that it was unwelcome.

Nothing was said whether the captain was put back together, but he sure screwed up by not following protocols.

Wow! End up in a regen tank to be healed, get tons of e-letters and we'll wishes, miss who seemed like the cold fish chews Erin out for almost getting killed--that's the most emotion she's shown, the Commander shows up, and then her "I didn't know we were going together" boyfriend asks permission to get in the tank and they set off the monitors together.

Yep, your typical good SF story.

Others have feelings too.

Water babies like water

Water babies like water dreams..nice! :)

alissa