Irene Munroe: The Girl Of Steel - 2

Printer-friendly version
Irene Monroe Irene Munroe: The Girl Of Steel Chapter 2

By Stanman63
Thanks To JennaFL For Proofing And Nora Adrienne for editing
Synopsis:Arnold Munroe becomes a new superhero and learns of her legacy.

[-][+][-]
The next day, I saw a tall, thin pale man with green hair, wearing a red tuxedo coat and matching striped trousers come to my bed, "Greetings, Irene Munroe. I am Jack Napier from the Department of Extramarital Operations."

I looked the kookily dressed man over, not believing that he was what he claimed, "Why are you here?"

I'd heard about some strange Metas that were popping up and causing trouble for the police and the Metas that were helping to keep the peace, but which type was he? He let out a hyena chuckle, "To help you to find out what your Meta Power is through my Meta Power."

"YOU?" I took a moment to press the 'NURSE CALL' button in order to let Daddy know that something was up.
[-][+][-]
Just before he and Momma had gone to the cafeteria to get themselves something to eat and return. Momma would go and get the grub while Daddy kept watch. We'd agreed that since I had no cell phone that they'd watch the monitor board to see if I called the nurse, and they'd come.

"Yes, I have the ability to see other Metas and see their Meta Power. Why else do you think I have white skin, red lips and green hair?"

"You lost a bet?" I asked in order to see if I could get under his skin.

"In a way, but I gained so much more and can still do what I love, meeting new people," he smiled in a knowing way to let me know that he was onto my subterfuge.

"Oh? So, your new looks is a part of what happened when your Meta gene activated? I've heard that a few have been permanently transformed into something not quite human looking."

"The fact is that every Meta has had some form of physical change to their bodies. Some are more animalistic, or even plant like in form as well as more inanimate, like stone."

"What about you? Your new look is not quite within the average spectrum of humanity." I asked, trying to fathom his thoughts on being a Meta. Dad had taught me to use my brain over my brawn, leaving any use of force until the last, making me a top flight athlete.

"Yes, for a while, I was quite angry until the Department of Metahuman Affairs gave me my new job. Now, I've met many more Metas than the public knows exist."

I could tell that he truly enjoyed his new occupation from the way that he was relaxed as he spoke. Daddy had taught me how to read body language, and even though this oddball could all too easily become a circus clown, he had a grounding in reality that kept him sane where others would flip their lid. He might creep me out, but hat was his way of gauging my responses.

"I guess that most are not that powerful, or simply want to live a normal life."

"True, but for the rogue Meta, we have a very special place where they can't harm others," he replied as e wrote on a tiny electronic key pad.

"Where is that?"

"Arkham Asylum, better known as Alcatraz Island," He said as he flipped his pad to show a picture of a brick building built upon a rocky island.

"Why there? If they ever escape, San Francisco will suffer."

"It was easy to modify the facilities to house the rogue Metas and station enough trained soldiers who know how to exploit their weaknesses as well as Metas who are willing to be stationed there."

"What about the city?"

"San Francisco has also been modified with special equipment capable of countering physical, mental, as well as magical attacks."

"Thanks to S.T.A.R. Labs?"

"S.T.A.R. Labs had to build the equipment that we use there as well as the squadrons stationed nationally to handle the emerging Meta."

S.T.A.R. Labs having its own private army makes it a very dangerous organization. Is there any other private army ready to counter them if they turn rogue?

"Just how big is the Department of Extramarital Operations?"

"Quite large and continuing to grow as we add new members."

Wonder just what their ambitions are? "Any plans for colonizing the solar system?"

He laughed his hyena laugh, "Need you ask?"

"You mean that you guys already have bases in space?"

"Well, we might, he chuckled.

"OK, enough with the small talk, you are here to..."

"See what powers your Meta gene has given you."

"Could I have more than one?"

I'd heard rumors about a special branch of Homeland security that supposedly dealt with Metas who had only one power, but that could easily be propaganda to cover the truth about the Meta population.

"It's possible since many others have multiple powers. Why?"

"I feel more alive, now. As if I have access to more power than I know what to do with."

"That's typical of most Metas that I've met."

"Oh? What about you?"

"Well, I am a Meta. My power is to see the aura of people. Currently, you are holding back your power, or powers until needed."

"Okay. So, how will you be able to see what I can do?"

"I will take you to Arkham, our new base located on Alcatraz Island where we can safely monitor you and test you."

"ALCATRAZ?"

"Yes, the island prison has been modified to hold rogue Metas as well as test any emerging Meta such as yourself."

"But what about my family?"

"They must stay here in order to create a cover story for you."
[-][+][-]
I got mad and stood up, ignorant of the fact that I was naked, but I was soon encased within a living metal armor of steel with black arms, shoulders and hands with an "S" on my chest.

"ALL RIGHT, JOKER! I DO NOT APPRECIATE YOUR KEEPING MY FAMILY IN THE DARK ABOUT ME! NOW! TELL THE TRUTH!" I demanded as I held him up with my right hand.

Then Daddy walked in, "OK, jerk! Just what in the hell are you trying to do to my daughter?"

He began to laugh and pointed at me, "Congratulations! You have fully activated your Meta-gene."

"WHAT?" I asked as I dropped him.

"I knew that you could access a part of your Meta ability, but needed to have you fully aware of your potential."

Momma came in, "And just what is her potential?"

"In her human form, she is practically invulnerable to conventional and nuclear attack, but can be subjected to a mental attack."

"And my "STEEL" form?"

"You can leap up to a mile using your leg strength and have the strength to bench press 100 tons with agility and dexterity to match as well as the ability to run up to the speed of sound."

"That's way cool, but what about water? Will I rust?"

"No, in water, you can easily breathe underwater and dive as deep as you need to without worrying about nitrogen accumulating in your body."

"What about my senses? I seem to be able to hear, see and smell things that I never have before."

"That can be a problem until you can control your sensory input, because you have keen olfactory and auditory senses of a canine, with the vision acuity of the eagle."

"Okay, why the "S" on my chest?"

"The "S" is by your choice."

"OH?"

"You see yourself as the heir to your father's legacy as the Girl of Steel."

Daddy hugged me," I am proud of you, Princess."
[-][+][-]
"Well, are you ready to see how fast you can run?" asked Jack.

"How? by treadmill, or cross country?"

"Cross country to Alcatraz. That should test your speed, stamina and dexterity."

I took off and found that I could run on water and even skip over open ditches. Running over the Mississippi was a challenge though with its strong current. I learned how to run at an angle to keep going the way that I wanted to.

Running across the plains, I had to adjust my cadence to avoid leaving potholes in the soft, rich soil. That was when I discovered that I generated a protective aura that I could manipulate.

The aura was skintight, like a bodysuit that as I concentrated on it, I discovered that it was a telekinetic field that I generated to protect everything from me in case I lost control for a moment.

I had within me the potential to crack the Earth asunder if my metal body was ever broken in a way that released all of my energy at once. It was up to me to set up safeguards and mental blocks to keep from becoming the biggest threat that the Earth had ever seen.

When my meta gene was activated, it turned me into a solar battery whose potential was harnessed by my meta body and it's usage of me wasting power as I ran. Otherwise, my body would simply channel any excess into the Earth's magnetic field, preventing me from using any sort of heat vision or laser beam as a weapon, even though I could act as a battery and keep a house supplied with power.
[-][+][-]
As I neared the California coast, I began to tire and halted just across from my goal. It took me ten minutes to cool down and catch my breath by which time I was starving.

I saw a van approaching me with the delicious aroma of a catering truck emitting from it. To my surprise, Jack and my family were in the plain brown van.

"Ready to eat, Irene?" asked Jack as he opened the side door.

"I'm famished!" I exclaimed as I downed a whopper.

"Thought so. Even though you have potentially unlimited power, you still need to eat to fuel your organic body."

"Couldn't I simply siphon off some of my power when I'm hungry?"

"Do that and you will start emitting radiation until you are grounded by either a lightning strike, power up a power relay station, or get hit by enough water to short you out."

"Oh."

"Honey, are you still hungry?" asked Mom.

"No, after that whopper, I need a soda."

Dad passed me an ice cold 2 liter diet Pepper, my favorite, "Drink up, Kiddo. According to Jack, you'll need thirty minutes for your metal body to safely absorb all of your meal."

I turned to Jack, "Why not revert to my human form to eat?"

"Indigestion. You'd be having gas attacks that'd create forest fires."

"Oh," I blushed.

We went to the van where I guzzled my soda while they ate lunch. About halfway through their meal, I produced a humongous belch that scared away all of the local birds.

"Feel better?" asked Jack.

"And embarrassed," I blushed.

"Just your body adjusting to it's new mode of existence."

Momma spoke up, "What about Irene's female attributes?"

"Only in her human form will Irene be subjected to any biological needs."

"So, my steel form is like those Storm trooper armor from the movies?"

"That's a good way to look at it," admitted Jack.
[-][+][-]
"Jack. Bring Subject Meta at once. The test chambers are ready." blared a voice over Jack's radio.

"On our way, Ed. Are the accommodations ready for her family?"

"Affirmative. Nigma out."
[-][+][-]
Next thing I knew, after we landed, there was an explosion and Napier shouted into some sort of mike on his lapel, "WHO'S ATTACKING?"

"BARON BLITZKRIEG." announced Nigma.

I saw a man wearing an old style German Nazi uniform of green with red boots, belt, collar and gloves with a white swastika in a black circle whose eyes shone with an intense fire tearing into Alcatraz.

ALL PERSONNEL TO BATTLE ALERT announced Nigma.

"Here goes nothing," I said as I jumped up to meet the threat.

"WAIT!" yelled Jack.
[-][+][-]
End Of Irene Munroe: The Girl Of Steel - Part Two
To Be Continued Irene Munroe: The Girl Of Steel -Three

up
40 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos