In the name of the Lady

Printer-friendly version

In the name of the Lady,  © 2007 by Kimby

The story of Frank and what happened to him when God got irritated.

Publication of this story is allowed on all websites under the following conditions:
- The text cannot be altered or shortened. If things are added to it, the reader should be easily able to identify what was added to the original.
- Access to the story is free. This also means it cannot be put on a website requiring paying membership.

This is the very first story I’ve ever written. That explains why it’s so bad. On the upside, it makes it a lot easier for me to do better next time. ;)
I’m not looking to make any monetary gain from this story. If it moves you so much you want to pays someone (frankly, I doubt that a lot. It’s not good enough) then please donate to a transgender fiction website in need of support.

Disclaimers:
1. If reading texts with sexual, political or religious contents can upset you, please go look someplace else. I don’t want to make you feel unhappy.
2. If you think someone else would object to you reading this text, don’t get caught. I will not help you if they get you, but if the story of the consequences makes the news I will remember your courage.
3. This story is fiction. I admit some elements of it are based on my personal life, but it’s doubtful you know me. So if you think you recognize someone in this story, think again.
4. I’m European, so the sport called ‘football’ in this story is real football, not that weird American game. If you live in the USA, you probably know the sport by the name ‘soccer’. It’s not very important for the story anyway. I’m only mentioning it to make fun of Americans: it’s a bad habit. :)
5. All errors of any kind made in this story are mine and mine alone except for those introduced by my spellchecker. I have no proofreaders, editors and such more. If anyone feels strongly about educating me by taking the entire thing apart, feel free to do so.


Tuesday 13 March 2007 — 17:43 CET

“I don’t believe this!”

Frank Deverau was in a bad mood. This mood was the result of a day full of unhappy events. And things did start so well this morning: a nice spring day full of sunshine. But then everything started going wrong in a big way.


Tuesday 13 March 2007 — 08:28 CET

More even then usual while driving to his office, Frank was only paying partial attention to the road. After all, this was the same road he took for many, many years now and after all the road works of the last five years it was finally completely done. Why should he not think of more important matters like the rumour that his employer was planning some major changes in the company ?

Nobody could tell him anything for sure so far, but it sounded like a lot of those now working in the local office could find themselves unemployed rather soon. At age 48 and after 17 years working at the same place this was not something Frank took lightly. All that worrying was the reason he didn’t see the old, brown Ford coming from behind him at a neck breaking speed until it was too late.

The sudden appearance of a car right next to his own dark green Toyota shook Frank out of his reveries. What was that idiot thinking ? Could he not see trying to pass here was insanely dangerous ? But he didn’t get much time to ponder the insanity of the other driver. The Ford suddenly cut in front of him to avoid collision with oncoming traffic. It was an act of almost suicidal desperation and only Franks many years of experience behind the wheel of a car avoided a spectacular catastrophe.

“Shiiiiiit”

The Ford hit the front left of his car pushing it to the side of the road. While adrenaline was making Franks body react way past its normal limits, his car came to a halt with miraculous light damages. Deflating in his seat with relief he was still alive he saw the idiot in the Ford disappear in the distance.


Tuesday 13 March 2007 — 10:17 CET

“Mr Deverau ?”

After waiting for almost an hour in the police office, it seemed there was finally someone available to talk to him now. Frank had to call the office earlier to report he was going to be delayed and got the distinct impression this delay was making his boss very unhappy.

“I’m lieutenant Simmons. Please follow me”

With a sigh, Frank got up and followed the man to a small office. There was only a desk with a single, very old PC on it, one chair behind the desk and two for visitors. After both were seated, the police lieutenant started with the interview. After Frank’s description of events, more questions followed

“Did you see the license plate on the car ?”

“I’m afraid not. It all happened so fast.”

“Did you perhaps see the person behind the wheel ?”

“I didn’t have the time to give the driver a good look, but from what I can recall he looked like an average sized male, not very young, but also not old. I’d say somewhere in his 30s or 40s.”

“I see. Well, Mr Deverau, I believe I can give you some more information but none of it is good I’m afraid. It looks like the car that hit yours was reported stolen yesterday and used in a robbery early this morning. So far we haven’t found it yet and even if we do find the driver it’s very likely he won’t be able to pay for all the damages he has done. That means the repair of your car will probably have to be done from your own finances unless you have very good insurance.”

“Great. So why did I actually bothered to spend my time to tell you all this ?”

“Now Mr Deverau. There’s no reason to get upset. It’s always possible that the money can be paid back to you after all. I just wouldn’t get my hopes up about it too much.”

Disgusted, Frank got back to his car. All this brought back some painful memories. His only son died in a car crash six years earlier. The other driver was drunk and escaped with only a few scratches. Since he was also the son of an influential politician, the entire penalty he got was losing his drivers license for six whole months. The current situation was nowhere near as bad as the hurt had been that time, but it opened wounds not fully healed and the injustice of both cases made him vocalize his favourite remark.

“More proof that God doesn’t really exist”


Tuesday 13 March 2007 — 10:59 CET

“Hi Cindy. I managed to finally get here. I got another demonstration this morning of our glorious police force protecting the citizens.”

The woman at the reception looked up, wincing at the acid tone in Frank’s voice. She decided ignoring it would be the smartest move.

“Mr Deverau. Good to see you, sir. Mr Glendmann requested your presence in his office as soon as you got here.”

“Bill wants to see me ? Did he give you an indication what this was about ?”

“No, sir. All I know is that he didn’t look very happy this morning.”

“Great. I guess I’ll know soon enough what’s going on then”

With a sigh, Frank walked to the management office. While he wasn’t exactly Bill Glendmann’s best friend, he usually managed to maintain a good working relationship with his boss. Lately however, Bill seemed to be very stressed.

“Good morning, Bill. You asked to see me ?”

“Ah, the lost son is finally there. Close the door behind you and sit down, please”

“Bill, I mean no offence, but a lot of people here are noticing that lately you’re walking around like a tiger with a toothache. Can you let me know what’s bothering you so much?”

The sudden sad look on the manager’s face didn’t help at all to improve Frank’s feelings of impending doom.

“I know what you mean Frank. In fact, it’s the reason I asked you here. But I fear you’re not going to be happy about what I’ve got to tell you.”

“I figured as much. How bad is it ?”

“Headquarters has decided that local support departments are not as cost effective as a global department. They plan on reorganising support to reflect that. All of support worldwide will soon be covered from one location.”

Frank felt like he got hit with a massive amount of very cold water.

“I see. And since this is an American company I guess that one location will be in the US and not here in Europe.”

“Not even that I’m afraid. The global support will be done from India starting about three months from now.”

“India ? I guess some idiot decided that using vastly underpaid personnel would produce nice looking expense graphs for the next board meeting. But what about our people currently working in local support ?”

“I’m not sure what the situation elsewhere will be, but I’ve been ordered to let go of everyone in the support department by the time India takes over.”

“We’ll have to fire my entire department ? Good heavens. Do those idiots in the US know what that will do here ? My people were highly motivated and they are rewarded like this ? It’s going to crush them. When do I have to tell them this ?”

Bill Glendmann was looking very unhappy

“I’ll tell them this afternoon. I’ve already called for a meeting of the department.”

“I guess that’s what I get for arriving late this morning. But don’t you think it’s my responsibility to announce this ? It’s my department after all.”

The uncomfortable look on his bosses face told Frank not all was said yet.

“I’m sorry Frank, but as I told you I’ve been ordered to let go of EVERYONE in the department. I’m afraid that includes you.”

An icy hand gripped Franks heart as this news sank in. The last seventeen years of his life had been dedicated to this company and now he was suddenly dumped because someone half the globe away decided to cut expenses without considering what effect it would have on the people involved. His brain could come up with only one reaction.

More proof that God doesn’t really exist

up
74 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

More like doesn't give a shit

More prove that god doesn't give a shit I'd say. I'm pretty sure god is a sadist or he'd give us all magic powers...

Um seriously, this story seems to be interesting so far, I wonder where it is going.

Thank you for writing,
Beyogi