Somewhere Else Entirely -26-

Printer-friendly version

It is the morning after the night before, and Garia has to face an angry Robanar and a furious Jarwin over breakfast. Accusations and insults fly and the situation becomes quite dangerous. Finally, a challenge is made and reluctantly accepted...

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

26 - A Matter of Honor


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2017 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



You've blown it, completely blown it. All that goodwill you've accidentally built up over the last couple weeks has faded away like summer mist. How could you possibly have been so stupid? Now you've antagonized two of the most powerful men around and God only knows what they're gonna do to you. You'll be lucky if you'll end up as a kitchen drudge.

"Mistress?"

I mean, how stupid can you get? Robanar knew just what Jarwin was likely to get up to, almost certainly he had a plan to keep us out of trouble. Then you come along and piss everyone off by causing a scene in the banquet for Jarwin. Why couldn't you have just kept out of trouble?

"Mistress!"

"Uh, Jenet? Oh, yes."

Garia held her arms out so that Jenet could center the silk bodice which would support her breasts under her tunic. The maid stood behind, making sure the laces were threaded correctly before starting to tighten them.

"Uh, Jenet?" Garia said again. "Do you think I did the right thing last night?"

"You asked me that last night, Mistress, and the answer is the same. It was a good plan, and it had the right result, even if it upset Lady Merizel. I can't think of any way we could have done something better."

"Well, I'm not so sure. The King almost certainly had the situation under control, after all, he knew exactly what Jarwin was like. Then I go and blunder in and cause a scene. What do you think he'll do to me, Jenet? Do you have salt mines in Palarand?"

"Salt mines, Mistress?" Jenet wrinkled her nose. "Why would we have salt mines, and why would it matter?"

"It is an old punishment people used on Earth," Garia explained. "If you did something sufficiently bad, you got sent to the salt mines to dig the salt out as punishment. The mines were a very long way away, it was hard labor and generally you didn't come back."

"Oh, I see." Jenet stopped tightening the laces and walked round in front of Garia. "You mustn't think like that, Mistress. You're not even legally an adult yet, you haven't been here long enough to learn our laws and customs properly and you were just trying to help. The King might be upset today but considering all the good things you're doing for us I don't expect he'll be upset for very long."

"But, I've upset relations between Palarand and Virgulend! Exactly what he told me I shouldn't do last night!"

"I don't think that's likely the case, Mistress. I know they were both angry last night but I don't think it was anything that would affect our two countries." Jenet looked complacent. "It was just a spat over a woman, and another woman got the better of them. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened, I can tell you. Now, what are you going to be doing this morning, Mistress? Will you be training again?"

Garia sighed. Men did fight over women, after all. It even happened with appalling frequency on Earth. Perhaps Jenet was right, perhaps she was blowing the whole thing out of proportion.

"Yes, Jenet. I have to assume, without any reason otherwise, that I should carry on the daily routine I've started. So, we'll dress for exercise as usual."

A knock came at the bedroom door and Jenet went to answer it. Kenila was there and the two spoke.

"Mistress," Jenet said when she returned, "Her Majesty would like you to go along to her sitting room as soon as we are properly dressed."

That familiar feeling instantly came back to Garia's stomach.

"Oh, Jenet," she moaned, "I don't think I'm going to like this."

"Didn't you tell me you had a means of calming yourself, Mistress? Can you try that before we go?"

Meditation. "Maybe, Jenet. But I don't want to delay Her Majesty, she'll be wanting to get down to breakfast." Where doubtless Duke Jarwin will be waiting to reduce me to a smear on the floor.

Before leaving she stood with her eyes closed and started controlling her breathing. In a very short time she could feel herself becoming calmer, although she knew that the moment she walked in on the Queen she might as well not have bothered.

"Let's go, Jenet."

As Jenet opened the door to the Queen's sitting room Garia realized that of course it was also the King's sitting room, and both monarchs were seated waiting for her to arrive. She walked in and curtseyed as Jenet closed the door behind them.

"Mistress," Robanar began, his face serious.

"Oh, don't be so stuffy, dear," Terys said. "Garia, come over here and sit down, please. He isn't going to bite your head off."

"As you command, Ma'am."

When Garia was comfortable Terys continued, "I explained it to him, dear. He was rather upset to begin with but he now appreciates what you attempted to do."

"I do, Mistress," Robanar confirmed. "I would have wished for a quieter ending to a difficult meal, but as the Queen explained, your heart was in the right place. You showed commendable loyalty in wishing to protect Lady Merizel, and your plan for her protection showed quick thinking." He fixed Garia with his gaze. "It would have been wiser, perhaps, to warn us of what you intended to do."

"Sire, I told Captain Bleskin of my idea, and he approved of it, so I assumed that you would too. I am truly sorry if I have caused embarrassment to you or your court."

Robanar flicked a hand in dismissal. "As embarrassments go, it is a minor thing. But you have made me look foolish, twice. Firstly by implying that I let Jarwin do whatever he wants in my palace and secondly by not properly protecting those who live and work here, and I must plead guilty to both charges. As your King I have been remiss and apologize to you, Mistress. It should not have been necessary for you to resort to such subterfuges." He twitched. "I am assuming, Mistress, that it was a subterfuge? There has been nothing stolen?"

"I told you, dear," Terys said patiently. "Garia doesn't own any jewelry apart from the tiara she was wearing. Merizel couldn't have stolen anything because Garia doesn't have anything to steal. It was just a means to get her safely in her chamber with a guard outside." She looked knowingly at Garia. "It was necessary, too. Jarwin's suite is around the corner from Merizel's chamber, and one of his servants was sent along that corridor on at least two occasions last night."

"Aye," confirmed Robanar. "He was allowed to pass, but not to approach the door to her chamber. It is possible he had a legitimate purpose for being there but we cannot be certain." His gaze fixed Garia again. "Mistress, did it ever occur to you that I might have made my own arrangements for the evening, knowing the kind of man that Jarwin is?"

"No, Sire," she said in a very small voice. "I'm sorry again, Sire. Obviously if you had made arrangements then they wouldn't have been apparent to me, would they? If you wish to punish me for my mistake -"

"Punish you, Mistress? What kind of man do you think I am?"

"A King, Sire."

Robanar grunted. "I suppose I deserved that. No, Mistress, there will be no punishment involved, at least not for you. As the Queen has said, you acted with your heart in defense of someone you thought was in danger. The matter is closed."

Garia breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Sire."

"However," he continued, "Duke Jarwin is still with us and is doubtless still smarting over the incident. Shall you face him today, Mistress?"

Garia thought. It was possible she could avoid him if she really tried, but then he might come seeking her out... and she couldn't avoid him for ever.

"Sire, I can't answer that. Did you wish me to?"

"Although I really do not wish you to, I fear that Duke Jarwin must be faced, Mistress - by both of us. He has made me a fool in my own palace, and that must be corrected, whatever it does to our relationship with Virgulend. He has reasons to be angry with yourself, also, and it may be that we can use his anger against him. Will you join us for breakfast?"

In some ways it could be just like Sensei said, although applied to emotions rather than physical actions, she thought. I'd really rather not, but it may be that I am the lever the King needs to stop Jarwin. Woah, these are high stakes I'm playing for!

She took a deep breath and set her jaw. "Sire, yes, I will." Then she had another thought. "Sire, will Lady Merizel be present at breakfast?"

Terys replied. "No, dear, we decided that it would be better if she ate in her chamber this morning. She is somewhat annoyed as you might expect, and Duke Jarwin may still harbor desires to trap her."

Garia's face fell. "Has anybody explained to her what happened, Ma'am?"

"Yes, Captain Bleskin went to her chamber later yesterday evening and told her what he knew, dear. I regret it is you she is most angry with, because you prevented what was to happen between her and the Duke."

Garia couldn't believe what she was hearing. "She actually wanted -"

"Yes, dear. Unfortunately Merizel has a somewhat unrealistic idea of life at court, especially where those such as Duke Jarwin are concerned. The disappointment she received at your actions last night would have been as nothing compared to what would have happened after he had departed for home. We must face her with this, Garia, sometime today. It will not be pleasant, explaining matters to her, but she must be made to recognize the truth."

Garia bowed her head. "As you command, Ma'am."

"Now," Terys said briskly, "it's time for breakfast for us all. We have decided to prevent the Duke from upsetting the servants and retainers by breaking our fast in the Receiving Room today. Shall we leave?"

The King and Queen stood and Garia followed them. Robanar frowned and turned to Garia.

"A moment before we go. Mistress, your gown, did you choose to have it made the color of the Guard?"

"Uh, I don't think so, Sire." Garia thought back to the beginning of the whole business. "No, Sire, it was just circumstance. I wanted something to wear to exercise in that was sturdy enough to take the wear and about the same style as the tunic that Keren, uh, I mean the Prince wears. I didn't particularly specify a color anywhere along the line, that I can remember. It just turned out that way. Sire, was this a bad choice? If so, I can ask them to make me others in a different color."

"No, Mistress, it's not that. I wondered whether your choice of color was deliberate, and if so, why."

"No, Sire, it wasn't deliberate at all. And actually this isn't a gown but two separate garments. If I may?"

Robanar raised his eyebrows but Terys said, "Why not, dear. It will only take a short while."

"Thank you, Ma'am. Jenet?"

Jenet pulled the sash and removed the skirt from Garia's waist. Robanar's eyebrows shot up even higher. Terys examined the tunic with great interest.

"The tunic flares greatly below the waist."

"Yes, Ma'am. I need to be able to swing my legs. That's why I'm wearing tights as well, to preserve modesty."

"A remarkable outfit, Mistress," Robanar observed. "Would this be common wear on Earth?"

"No, Sire, not at all. Clothing is a complex subject and perhaps we ought to leave that for an evening session, if we may."

He nodded. "As you say, Mistress. We have more important affairs to settle."

"Jenet."

Her maid rearranged the skirt and sash about her body and the party left the sitting room for breakfast. Garia noticed that there seemed to be more guardsmen about than usual, and four swung into formation around them, two in front and two behind. The party made its way down and forward to the more public side of the palace towards the Receiving Room. At the door behind the throne the guardsmen peeled off as they walked through into the room.

"Your Majesty."

There were a number of people there, all of Duke Jarwin's party plus a number of senior courtiers and officials from the palace. Garia remembered that Robanar and Jarwin were supposed to be having discussions this morning about the military situation. All who were present bowed or curtseyed and then Duke Jarwin came towards the King and Queen, making a very low bow in front of them.

"Your Majesties. It seems I must apologize for my poor manners yesterday evening. I regret the manner in which I was forced to take my leave of you."

"Rise, Jarwin," Robanar told him. "It seems that it was a mistake, a silly misunderstanding between two young girls."

"As you say, Sire." Jarwin's eyes fixed on Garia. "I notice one of those girls present, Sire, is not the other to join us this morning?"

"Alas no, Your Grace," Terys said. "The events of last evening have upset her, and she has been advised to rest this morning. Still, I understand that you have much to discuss with the King today, is that not true? You will be too busy for amorous diversions?"

"Perhaps, Your Majesty," he replied, his eyes still on Garia. "Time will tell."

Oh my God. He's after me today. And, if I'm interpreting his look correctly, he's after my hide. This isn't going to be an amorous conquest, he's after blood.

"Let us be seated," Robanar said, and everyone moved towards the table.

"Dear, where's Keren?" asked Terys. "Did anyone tell him we were eating here today?"

"He knows what's happening, Terys," Robanar told her. "He's probably been delayed. I'm sure he'll be along shortly."

Everyone found seats, but before the servants could begin Keren ran through the main doors.

"I'm sorry, Father, Mother, I forgot," he said breathlessly.

"Come and sit down, dear. We've only just arrived here ourselves."

Jarwin sat opposite Robanar as he had done previously. Garia sat beside the King, and Keren slotted in between Garia and Captain Bleskin. The Captain would normally have been sitting facing them had they been eating in the more informal room. Jarwin looked at them curiously as the servants began setting dishes and goblets in front of each guest.

"Interesting, Sire. Three dressed the same sitting besides you. Do you now admit children to the palace guard?"

Bleskin stood up so fast his chair fell over behind him with a bang. Servants scrambled to right it as Robanar held up his hand.

"Bleskin, sit down," he said, looking straight at Jarwin. To Jarwin, he said, "The prince is of an age and status where he rightly trains in arms with my guardsmen, and wears their uniform when he does so. The similar color of Mistress Garia's gown is accidental. I must assume that you did not deliberately attempt to insult the Palace Guard?"

Jarwin smiled. "As you say, Sire."

The meal was the worst one Garia had ever attended, in either guise. Although everyone seemed to be making light talk across the food, the undercurrent was so thick it would take a sword to part it. Jarwin's face appeared to be light and unconcerned but the eyes that Garia saw told another story entirely.

He fools no-one but then I suppose this is what diplomacy means. Sometimes you just have to literally grin and bear it.

As the final plates were removed, and some of the diners still draining their goblets, Jarwin casually leaned back in his chair and spoke.

"About this training your son does with the guard," he said carelessly.

"Aye, Jarwin? What of it?"

"That's not what I'd heard he did, Sire. I understand that Mistress Garia appears to have some part in these training sessions."

Since most of the palace had some idea of what was going on, there seemed no point in denying it. Robanar, now thoroughly alert, replied, "You heard correctly, Jarwin. Mistress Garia comes from a society very different than ours and there both men and women take exercise."

Jarwin's grin broadened. "I've heard it called many things, Sire, but never exercise, if you take my meaning."

"What do you imply, Your Grace?" Robanar face had darkened as he understood what Jarwin was suggesting.

"Oh, nothing strange, Sire. I have heard that Prince Keren and Mistress Garia retire into a private room to undertake their exercise. Who am I to say what goes on in there? It seems no-one else knows."

Oh, crap. That never occurred to me, and to judge by the look on Keren's face, it hadn't occurred to him either.

"Let me ask you, Sire," Jarwin drawled. "Exactly whose idea was this exercise? Whose idea was it to request a separate room to do this exercise in? Perhaps the sort of exercise these two indulge in is the same kind I am occasionally accused of."

You bastard! You absolute, copper-bottomed bastard!

Jarwin was still speaking. "If she is familiar with this kind of exercise at such a young age then perhaps she is expert in it. Perhaps she might be willing to teach me a few things. Though, I must modestly admit, my own knowledge of the subject is fairly extensive." He showed his teeth and it was not a smile.

Garia knew that her own face showed shock and dismay and she guessed that Keren's face was much the same. Unfortunately, that would only reinforce the suggestion that Jarwin had made. Robanar had initially looked as if he would explode but now it appeared he was seriously considering Jarwin's snide suggestions. Terys looked concerned but upset at the way Jarwin had sprung his trap.

"I've heard a number of rumors about the little girl here," Jarwin continued. "Many of them are too unlikely to be believable, but I wonder if in fact any of them are true at all, whether she has spun a web of lies around you all. She says she comes from a far land called Kansas, on another land mass like Alaesia. I ask you, Sire, just how likely is that? I grant you, her accent is strange and her word choice is sometimes unusual, but it is more likely she comes from some city, town, village - most likely a village, Sire - somewhere the other end of the Valley. She's told you all a wagon-load of fanciful tales and charmed you into giving her a place here in the palace. Now that she's worked her way into your innermost circle, she's trying to attach herself to your son, make herself Palarand's next Queen despite all custom and usage. A moment's thought will tell you that she has actually told you nothing of substance since she arrived here. Would you not agree with this, Sire?"

As Jarwin spoke she became aware that the tension gradually eased out of the men sitting either side of her. Jarwin had just picked up palace rumor and run with it, and as he had done so he had blunted his most effective weapon, the possibility that she had been making out with Keren behind closed doors.

"You insult my intelligence, Jarwin," Robanar growled. "You insult my son, you insult Mistress Garia and you insult the honor of the Guard. You are a guest in my house, you will apologize."

Jarwin waved a dismissive hand. "Oh, I will admit, Sire, I was taken by the color of the attire I see facing me. I will apologize to your Guard Captain for suggesting that his business is anything else but professional." He stood and bowed at Bleskin before sitting down again. "However, I stand by my earlier questions. What are that boy and girl actually doing in that room all by themselves?"

"What they are doing," Terys said frostily, "is no business of yours, Your Grace. If you are going to be asking such questions, I would ask what your man was doing last night in corridors he had no reason to pass through."

"Why, Your Majesty!" Jarwin said, spreading his hands wide in innocence, "My men are strangers in your palace, he merely took a wrong turning."

"Jarwin," she retorted, "you and your men have been coming here for years. They know their way around this palace at least as well as I do. You will have to do better than that."

While this exchange was happening Garia had an epiphany. Her body and mind calmed, and she saw that there was only one possible way to resolve this, and it would involve her, and it would involve careful maneuvering to achieve the expected result.

"Keren," she said. Jarwin, with his mouth open to speak, stopped and looked at her. Robanar's and Terys's heads turned to look at the source of the unexpected interruption.

"Yes, Garia?"

Jarwin noticed that neither used the other's rank, and wondered if that meant his attack had struck true. His eyes blazed and a grin began to form.

"Tell the Duke," she said, "exactly what we do in that room, please."

"Garia? You're sure?"

"I'm sure, absolutely sure."

Keren turned to Jarwin and said, "Mistress Garia is teaching me unarmed combat each morning."

Jarwin roared with laughter, rocking backwards and forwards on his chair. His fist pounded the table, causing the few dishes that remained to rattle. When he had subsided enough to speak, he said, "Unarmed combat? Oh, I like that! I have never heard it called that before! Sire, your whelp convicts himself out of his own mouth."

Keren, flushed with anger, jumped out of his seat. "Your Grace, I cannot let that pass. I speak nothing but the truth, and I will not be called a liar, even by you."

In the absolute silence that instantly fell in the room, Garia carefully put her hand on Keren's arm.

"Sit, Keren. It's me he's after, because he blames me for interrupting his little game last night. He wants me, and he wants revenge."

Jarwin actually sneered at her. "You, Mistress? A girl child? I don't stoop to treat with the likes of you." But his eyes glittered, and she knew that she had understood him correctly. Now, would he take the bait? "It is a pity that your petty girlish games separated me from, what was her name again? Never mind. She was merely the entertainment for the evening. A trivial matter, soon forgotten." His grin returned. "You teaching the Prince combat, eh? About as likely as your story of coming from somewhere called Kansas." He switched to Robanar. "Sire, this girl is impertinent. She needs to be taught how to behave when with her betters."

Robanar said, very softly, "She behaves much better when with us than you do, Jarwin. Mistress Garia, you were saying something to the Duke?"

"Sire, I was. Your Grace, you are a bully and a braggart who uses his position to seduce women and insult their men, even while you are a guest under their roofs. I've know men like you who think they are... the Maker's gift to women, and that the sun shines out of their backsides. My guess is that you are a vain windbag with nothing more supporting you than the fact that your brother rules a country."

Amiright, or amiright? He can't possibly refuse, can he?

Jarwin surged to his feet and leaned over the table, his eyes bulging.

"You dare insult me like that, you little cow? The only thing that saves you from a beating - or worse - is the fact that you are a woman. Barely. You are well aware that no man would challenge a woman in combat. Yet, I would have satisfaction. Sire, will you permit this, this child, to insult her betters in this way? I demand satisfaction!"

Robanar turned to Garia. "This is a grave charge, Mistress, and one I cannot overlook, as I might if it were purely a domestic matter. Will you withdraw your remarks, or must I find a champion for you?"

Ouch. I've miscalculated. I've been so busy with my cunning plan to get Jarwin all riled up I forgot that this society will do its best to protect women from the realities of violence. Ah, except when they are like Jarwin, of course. It's going to be harder to convince the King to let me fight than it was to get Jarwin ready.

"Sire, neither, if you please." She licked her lips, suddenly dry. "Duke Jarwin does not believe that I am capable of unarmed combat, let me prove myself to him."

Jarwin was furious. "Sire, I must protest! I cannot fight with a tiny girl like her, I would be a laughing stock!"

"Which is worse," Garia quickly said, before Robanar could answer, "that you fought a girl like me, or that you were too afraid to fight because I might beat you?"

Jarwin sneered again. "Have no doubt on that score, Mistress. There no possible way that any meeting between you and me would result in anything but a beating for you! No, Sire, this is impossible, find some other way."

"So," Garia said, "you admit to beating women, then? I expected nothing less from you. However, you don't frighten me in the slightest."

"Sire, she puts words in my mouth! This is intolerable! Will you not restrain her?"

"Almost as intolerable," Robanar replied, "as the behavior you displayed last night, Jarwin. Mistress, will you not withdraw?"

Garia looked up at the King. He was angry, but he was also upset that Garia had forced him into this position. It was quite likely that Robanar had anticipated some kind of challenge this morning, but never this.

"Sire, I am also a guest in your house," she pointedly replied. "I will accept whatever decision you are prepared to make, but no, I will not withdraw."

"Mistress," Robanar pleaded, "you put me in an impossible position. What am I to do?"

"Let me fight him, Sire. That will put an end to all of this."

"Mistress -" Robanar stopped and looked at Garia thoughtfully. He spun and spoke to Jarwin.

"Jarwin, it seems that Mistress Garia is being stubborn. Will you give us leave to speak privately?"

"By all means, Your Majesty. This situation has gotten ridiculous, why you do not just have her taken away and locked up I cannot imagine." He flicked a dismissive hand. "Remember, I still require satisfaction from you."

Robanar turned to his right. "Mistress, Keren, Bleskin, with me, if you will."

In a corner of the room, Robanar spoke to Garia.

"Mistress, if I did not know you better, I would declare that you were entirely insane to persist with this matter. This is not what I expected when I came to breakfast today. From the fact that you yourself have suggested this fight, you must believe that you can best him? Is this possible?"

"I don't know, Sire." Garia's lips were dry again, and the charged atmosphere was making her light-headed, but she forced herself to continue. "I am assuming, Sire, that the state of Virgulend's military abilities are similar to Palarand's?"

Bleskin answered. "Aye, Mistress, they are exactly the same. All the countries round about, including the entire Valley, make war in much the same manner. There are minor differences in equipment but that is all."

Garia nodded. "Then, I am certain I can take him, Sire. It is very much sooner than I might have wished, but he has no clue what I can do. All I ask is that you make sure no weapons are involved. I'm not sure I can do much with a sword yet."

"As you say, Mistress," the King replied, "but there is the matter that you are a woman, and women do not fight in Alaesia."

Garia grimaced unhappily. "Of that I am now aware, Sire. If necessary I shall offer him an inducement if he wins. He isn't going to, of course, but it will get him to fight."

Robanar's eyes narrowed. "What inducement, Mistress?"

"Me, Sire," she said simply.

"No," Robanar said. "I cannot permit that. If he should by some circumstance win, I would be honor bound to give him the spoils. No, Mistress, you ask too much."

"Father," Keren said, "You haven't yet seen her in action. I've seen but a small sample of what she can do, she will not lose."

Robanar was silent for a long moment. "You have only sparred with Keren, haven't you?" he asked her. "Jarwin is heavier, faster and more experienced. He has taken part in some small battles, although I suspect he may not have played such a big part in them as the reports would have us believe. Are you that confident of your prowess, Mistress?"

"Sire, I am. No-one facing battle should ever underestimate an enemy, and I do not intend to do so this time. But I shall be the one walking away."

He bowed to the inevitable. "As you will, Mistress."

The four walked back and stood in a group facing Jarwin across the table.

"Against my better judgment," Robanar said, "I am persuaded that Mistress Garia knows what she is talking about and understands the risks. Will you meet her in unarmed combat, Duke Jarwin, or shall it be known that you refused to fight a woman?"

"This is preposterous," Jarwin spat. "I would be within my rights to refuse this stupidity! Your Majesty, this goes well beyond the customs and laws of either of our countries."

"Mistress Garia offers a forfeit," Robanar responded unwillingly. "If you win, she offers you herself."

There was a gasp throughout the room at that. This was unprecedented! This event would be the talk of Palarand for years! Jarwin's eyes glittered as he heard the offer, and they bored into Garia's eyes. Forcing herself to be calm, she stared him down.

"Name your terms, Mistress," he said.

"If you defeat me," she said, "I'm yours until sunset. Agreed?"

It didn't take the Duke long to think it through. "Agreed. And if I lose?"

Robanar answered. "In that case, Jarwin, I want you out of my palace. Your whole party."

Jarwin's grin was huge. "That sounds very fair to me. So, Sire, when shall we begin?"

~o~O~o~

When they reached the Large Training Room they found it lined with the guardsmen who would normally have been training that day, plus some from the duty quadrants. The shift had rotated and the men who were present were mostly strangers to Garia, but not to Keren. They were evenly spaced around the walls and Garia noticed that every single one of them was armed with either a spear or a cross-bow. All wore half-armor on their left arms and their lower legs, plus round leather 'work' helmets. An expectant buzz ran round the men as the King's party and the Duke's party separately entered the room. Before Bleskin had sent off to arrange the room he had inquired of Garia if she needed anything special provided, a mat, perhaps.

"No, Captain, the flagstones will do fine. You could ask them to spread a little sand on the stones, just enough for grip but not enough that he can kick it in my eyes." The captain's eyes gleamed at that, because it showed that Garia knew her trade. "Oh, and Captain. Ask for Mistress Margra to be present, please. I may win, but I'm sure I'm going to hurt afterwards as well."

Bleskin had an unexpected tit-bit for her, as well.

"Vice Marshal Dalbinar had something interesting to say to me, Mistress, which might be useful to you. He says that although the Duke Jarwin takes care not to make it apparent, he is left-handed. He may think to surprise you during the fight if so."

Garia had nodded thoughtfully. "Thank you, Captain. That may be the difference between defeat and victory."

Chamberlain Kendar was present and he was going to act as referee. However, Robanar himself laid down the rules of the contest.

"This is a contest of submission, not to the death. The fight shall continue until one of you yields or is rendered insensible. In that case whoever is left standing shall be declared the victor. Either party may petition a hold to have wounds seen to. If Kendar asks you to stop for any reason then you shall do so immediately on pain of forfeit. Is this understood?"

"Your Majesty, it is," Garia replied.

"Aye, Your Majesty," Jarwin said through a smile. This was going to be a walk-over, and then he'd get to find out what that soft, pale body could do!

"Then are you both ready?"

"A moment, Sire," Garia said, holding up a hand. "Jenet?"

"Mistress."

The men had closed in to form a circle around the combatants about ten strides in diameter, the spears every other man held gripped horizontally to form a perimeter. Jenet ducked into the circle, crossed to Garia, and pulled off her mistress's skirt, retying the sash. Jarwin's eyes bulged.

"Sire! This is too much!"

"What, Your Grace," Garia said to him. "You didn't really think I'd fight with a skirt wrapped round my legs? This is how I have been dressed while practicing with Prince Keren."

There was an audible in-drawing of breath from the guardsmen, followed by murmuring, but silence descended quickly again. All had realized that the tiny girl in front of them knew what she was doing. All they now wondered was whether she could overcome the Duke's greater size, weight and reach.

"Knife," Garia said into the silence.

"What?"

"The knife at your belt, Your Grace. I'm sure it was an oversight." She smiled sweetly at him. "I wouldn't want you to hurt yourself when you fell on it."

There were a few sniggers from the watchers, quickly stilled. With a snarl Jarwin undid his belt and removed the knife and scabbard, handing them to one of his men who had stepped into the ring. Scowling, he refastened the belt as his man stepped out of the circle. Both combatants looked at the other.

"I still think this is the most stupid contest I've ever entered," Jarwin remarked. "A few slaps and it'll be all over for you, little girl." He smiled nastily. "Then you'll get to see what a real man has to offer."

Garia said nothing but moved steadily closer to the Duke. I forgot to check the laces on these boots. I hope they're going to be secure enough, at least until I put this clown down. Now, is he going to use his right arm first, and leave his secret weapon till later? I think, if I were over there, that's what I'd do, but as Sensei said, you can put yourself in your opponent's place all you like but you can never really know what they're thinking. Keep all options open until you're forced to commit.

He's a big bastard, isn't he? As I thought, he's about the same height and shape as Keren, but he must be ten to fifteen years older. His muscles could be that little bit denser and stronger. He's had that much more experience, like the King said. He's probably lived, worked and trained with his men, and I mustn't think that he doesn't know any kind of unarmed combat. He won't know what I know, but he may still have some tricks up his sleeve.

"What, little girl? No distracting banter? No second thoughts? It's too late now, because -"

Jarwin leaned forward, his right arm shooting out to grab Garia's left arm. Jesus, he's quick. Garia promptly stepped left inside Jarwin's reach, grabbed his tunic with both hands and twisted right. The startled Duke flipped over her head and landed heavily on his back on the stones. Garia danced back, away from any possible kick or hold. The watching men gasped.

The Duke rolled to one side and came to his feet - quickly, but not as quickly as Keren had. That's the element of surprise gone. He'll be more wary of me from now on. Much good may it do him.

"You little tramp," he said, wiping his mouth with the back of one hand, "so you know a trick or two, do you? Let's see how long you can keep that up."

Yes. Stamina might be an issue. He's a hard-living type and I'm untrained, six days after my first ever period. Well, this was never going to be a long contest, despite what he might think.

He rushed her, both hands out to try and grab her, and she let him come, standing calmly. At the last second she ducked left and his left arm reached down to clutch her right shoulder. As she swayed away from him her right foot came up and she stamped the sole at the inside of his right knee, which was currently taking all his weight. Then, continuing the turn her leg movement had started, she ducked under his outstretched arms as he collapsed onto the floor.

"Aaah! You little cow! Wait till I get my hands on you!" His face was livid.

She completed her turn and stood facing him, hands on hips, head cocked to one side, watching him as he staggered to his feet. He rushed her again, but this time she stepped to the right, grabbed his tunic and turned the other way. Jarwin went flying again, landing heavily on one shoulder.

He's right, she thought. This is ridiculous. Shooting fish in a barrel would have been harder. I think the time has come to whittle him down a little bit.

She moved towards him again, to his left. It was natural for him to suppose that she was making the same movement again, and his left hand lashed out, grabbing a handful of her tunic, and incidentally bruising her still-sensitive breasts. She promptly grabbed his arm with both hands, and now that he was supporting her weight, jerked her feet off the ground and pulled them as far up as his arm would let them come, her body tilting outwards as the center of gravity moved.

The startled Duke had no time to react as she lashed out with both feet, stamping directly at his torso under his left arm. She heard bones crack and he convulsively let her go to fall backwards on the floor with a grunt. Of course she also fell, this time landing heavily on her left shoulder-blade. That's going to smart in the morning.

"What on Anmar are you?" he gasped, sitting up. His left arm was held out and his right hand was gingerly exploring the damage to his ribs. He winced as he found a break.

"That was your first mistake," she told him, speaking for the first time. "I'm not of Anmar, I'm from somewhere else entirely. You should have listened to all those stories."

He staggered to his feet and came towards her, limping slightly. There was murder in his eyes, and she knew that the situation had become critical. If he caught her now, she would be dead before Kendar could stop him. However, he wasn't going to catch her. Time to end this, I think. Various parts of me are beginning to hurt.

He tried to reach out with his left hand as he attacked, but the pain from his ribs was too great and he was forced to turn to bring his right hand to bear. It unbalanced his movement. Garia ducked and spun clockwise on her right foot, her left stamping the outside of his right knee, and she felt it give. As he buckled, she continued the turn, locking her left elbow and using the whole of her upper body as a pivot, slammed the heel of her left hand into his right temple. He collapsed backwards onto the floor.

Ow. Jesus, that hurt. She put her hand under her right arm, pressing it against her rib cage. I've only got a tiny hand and arm, and almost no shoulders at all for leverage. If I had still been Gary, that blow would have broken his neck, but as it is I've merely dazed him. I hope it's enough.

She looked down at him, panting slightly. He briefly tried to sit up, still dazed, but fell back immediately. His right leg looked wrong, and she realized that her second kick at his right knee had damaged the joint - possibly permanently, given the current state of medical knowledge here. She turned to look at Kendar, who came forward, sword in hand.

"This contest is ended," he announced. "Mistress Garia is declared victor, having fairly beaten the Duke Jarwin."

There was a thundering then, as the guardsmen brought their spears smoothly vertical and then began pounding them on the stone flags as applause. Robanar, Jenet and Margra hurried forward to Garia, while several of Jarwin's men attended him.

"Oh, God," she said. "Margra, get me a bucket of water to put this hand in. I should never have done that, it was stupid." She looked up at Robanar. "Sire, was that sufficient for you?"

"Aye, Mistress, that was well done." He nodded. "I would not have believed it possible." He gave his characteristic grunt. "You have served Palarand well today, Mistress. As you have every other day you have been here, but this is different." He turned to look at her closely. "You have other hurts, Garia?"

"My... left shoulder isn't too clever, and my left hand is probably broken, but otherwise only light bruising, Sire. Apart from the hand, nothing to worry anyone."

Jarwin had managed to get himself up to a sitting position, but it was obvious that it would be weeks before he would stand on that leg again. He was still furious.

"This was a travesty of a contest, Robanar! You could not expect me to know what she was capable of. All Alaesia will hear of this!"

"They certainly will, Your Grace," put in Dalbinar, who had walked forward. "You had been told what everyone in the palace knew about her, and you chose to ignore all but what suited you to hear. All Alaesia will indeed hear how you attempted to seduce a girl, and then her friend came and bested you in a fair contest. A fifteen-year-old girl, using only her bare hands!"

Jarwin opened his mouth to say something, and then winced as a broken rib jabbed him in the chest.

Robanar stared down at the Duke. "I want him out of my palace before the noon bell, understand?"

"Aye, Your Majesty," one of his men replied.

"And I want all of you off my lands by sunset, is that clear?"

"Aye, Your Majesty. "

"He is forever banned from Palarand," Robanar decreed. "If he is found within our lands again he will be escorted to the borders at spear point."

Jarwin glared at him with hate from where he still sat, but said nothing.

"Uh, Sire, he cannot walk."

"Margra! Provide these men with a stretcher. Once they have put him in the back of a wagon at the front of the palace, burn the stretcher." The faces of the Duke's men went pale. "Get this offal out of my sight."

A stretcher was brought and the groaning Duke was loaded onto it. As his men lifted him to carry him away, Robanar pointed a finger and said, "Not you, Dalbinar. I want a word."

"Sire?"

Robanar looked around. "Where can we -"

"Sire," Bleskin said. "Over there. That room should be empty."

"Good. Come with me as well."

The three men walked over to the door and entered the room, which was the one recently prepared for Garia. Dalbinar looked around with interest.

"Is this the room where she..?"

"Aye, Vice Marshal," Bleskin confirmed. "Although she's only used it once so far."

Dalbinar looked at the ceiling. "Ah, I see Bodrik's standard hanging there."

Robanar raised an eyebrow. "That was eighty years ago, Dalbinar. We don't hold grudges, and I don't think you do either."

"No, Sire. Grand Duke Bodrik wasn't a very good ruler anyway. Sire, you wished to talk?"

"Aye, Dalbinar. I know you have no love for the Duke, so I'm offering you the chance to go on ahead on your own, to give Mariswin, how shall I put this, an unbiased account of what happened here. If I do, would you carry an dispatch from me to him? It will take me a bell or perhaps two to write it and I expect you'd like some time to put down your own thoughts before you leave. How about it? You'll arrive long before the Duke does."

"With pleasure, Sire. The Duke's depredations have gone on for far too long. I expect he'll never look at a woman the same way again."

Robanar grunted. "Don't you believe it. Even with that leg to remind him, memory can be a strange thing." He smiled crookedly at the Vice Marshal. "However, once the story of what happened here gets around, he won't find it so easy to return to his old ways."

Dalbinar nodded. "Indeed, Sire. We'll both make sure of that, won't we?"

Back in the main room, Margra had fed Garia two spoonfuls of the vaguely minty-tasting medicine, which fairly swiftly reduced the pain from her hand and shoulder. She had applied a herbal poultice to both sides of Garia's hand and was bandaging it as she had done Garia's legs what seemed an age previously.

"I can't do much for your shoulder here," Margra said, "because I'll need you to remove all your upper clothes to look at it. I don't think you've broken anything though, just bruised it." She smiled at Garia. "You do seem to gather bruises at an alarming rate, don't you?"

Garia managed a weak smile. "Not from choice, I assure you."

"Do all the women of Earth fight as you do?"

Garia shook her head, which caused twinges along her left shoulder. "Not at all, Mistress Margra. Most are probably like women here although at least self-defense is an option."

"A strange land indeed."

The guardsmen were crowding around her now, wanting to get a closer look at the girl who had just taken on and defeated a man twice her size.

"Easy, men!" It was a guardsman with a diagonal sash, she supposed an officer of some sort. "Give the Mistress some room!"

He turned and addressed Garia.

"Mistress, that was an impressive display to behold. The men have many questions."

"I'm not surprised," she replied. "I'm sorry, who are you?"

"Quadrant Officer Vern, Mistress," the man said, coming to attention and banging his fist on his chest. "Leading the Third Quadrant."

"Quadrant Vern," she replied, acknowledging his salute with a nod, "as you see I need treatment from Mistress Margra here." She waggled her bandaged hand. "I'm not going to be practicing for a while, it seems, so with Captain Bleskin's permission perhaps I'll come and talk to you all tomorrow morning, if that will be convenient?"

"As you desire, Mistress, that will be quite convenient." He turned to face his men. "Right, you lot! The fun's over, time to get back to doing some work!" He turned to Garia again. "By your leave, Mistress." He saluted again and walked off after his slowly dispersing men.

"We need to return to your suite, Mistress," Margra said. "Can you walk, Mistress, or shall we fetch a stretcher?"

"I think I can walk," Garia replied. "Let's take it slowly. Should we wait for the King, do you think?"

They all looked towards the door of the Self Defense Training Room.

"The King would probably suggest that your needs are more important than his just now, Mistress," Margra said.

"Aye," Keren added. "I don't think he'll argue with that. Come on, Garia, let's get you back."

Garia sighed as they turned towards the corridor.

"What?"

"That's one ordeal over, thank goodness," she said. "Unfortunately there's a worse one to come. I have to face Merizel."

up
397 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ooh, that's going to smart.

Ooh, that's going to smart. Poor Duke Jarwin... not! Good riddance to bad rubbish. He's not going to like his new reputation. And he might get a slapping down from his brother when he gets home too.

Also, really well done on the fight choreography.

That really might happen,

That really might happen, but he will probably remain army commander, as his skills are still useful. But what can one man do if he is angry at both his brother and Robanar. YES. He can betray them to someone else. So I fear it is not last time we will hear about this lecher.

Bullies and angry women

I would much prefer to go against a bully twice my size than walk into a room that contained a woman who was pissed at me. I am such a coward...

Not a coward

Just Realistic :) Women are smarter about getting even....

And less Impulsive...

You live and learn

A few things one of my brothers taught me:

Men don't expect much fight from women, especially diminutive ones. This can make them over-confident. As Garia has just so ably shown.

Don't get revenge, get even. Which I interpreted to mean don't show your entire hand, just what you need to win. Hold something back, you might need it later.

There is no such thing as a "fair fight". When all else fails, kick 'em in the family jewels!

While I've utilized both #1 and #2, #3 hasn't failed yet!!! :)

* * *

"Girls are like pianos, when they're not upright they're grand!" Benny Hill

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Never underestamate.

May be for the first time in his sorry life our friend will know the price of underestimating an angry determined women. So nice he was not man enough to accept defeat gracefully. Now the cur limps off with his tail tucked between his legs.

The only bad question is the one not asked.

The only bad question is the one not asked.

Actually Carried Off

But metaphorically you are correct. The chapter went pretty much as I expected (in the overall results if not in all the details) except for Garia's injuries, but even Garia expected some injuries as she was dealing with a much larger, experienced, powerful person.

Thanks to Penny for this interesting and entertaining series.

Thank You!

As a long standing follower of your stories I can only thank you for the wonderful worlds and characters you have developed and apologise for not commenting sooner! Garia's actions will be truly world changing and like the ripples on the water when a stone lands they will spread far and wide. Who knows, perhaps we may find out how Garia actually came to be "Somewhere Else Entirely" but perhaps as in all good tales, the mystery is part of the fun!
Once again, thank you!

How it happened

There is a reason why she came to be there, but apart from causing a lot of head scratching by all concerned it doesn't, strangely, have much to do with the story that's taking place.

There's been precisely ~one~ mention so far, you might get another one later, but as for an actual explanation you'll have to wait until the very end, sorry. As you'll see, it won't have much to do with ~this~ story, apart from being an essential component of how she got there.

Edit: I thought that supplying the explanation as I go along would detract from this story thread.

I'm pleased that you like my scribblings. I hope I can maintain the standard.

Penny

Honor has been satisfied.

In a very convincing manner. The guard are in love with Garia to a man, it seems, and she took a very dangerous predator down more than a few pegs. Yet another world changing event that she has instigated. A woman can actually defend herself against a big, strong man? Horrors! lol.

She did, however, prove a very important point with all this. No woman has to put up with a predator if she works things properly.

Me, if I'd been Jarwin, I'd have taken several steps back when Garia displayed not the least bit of fear of him in the physical sense. But if I'd been Jarwin, I wouldn't have believed that, either. Catch twenty-two there.

Plus, Garia just officially introduced a style of fighting that anyone with determination could learn and use effectively even if they aren't military, male, or whatever.

Nice chapter.

Maggie

The Guard

We're not finished with the guard by a long way. There has been definite purpose in dwelling on certain aspects of her dealings with them which will become clear later.

Jarwin: he, like everyone else, just saw Garia as a small(ish) girl. How could she possibly be a threat? A woman? A threat? Preposterous! He probably thought she was frozen with fear.

Thank you for reading and commenting,

Penny

Ooooh! That was just perfect.

I love it when a plan comes together.

Who's a clever girl then.

Ah well, off to face a real challenge now. Hell hath and all that.

Lovely story.

Thanks Penny.

XZXX

Bev.

Growing old disgracefully.

bev_1.jpg

Hehehe!

What better occasion for the first public showing of Garia's unarmed combat abilities than to teach the region's resident sleazebag a lesson? :)

The following morning's going to be interesting - giving the guard a little pep talk on unarmed combat. Heck, if they're trained in it well enough, when off duty they could perhaps start lessons for the locals.

Meanwhile, that challenge over, she's now got to impart some advice on dating to Merizel. Probably something along the lines of don't be too eager to throw yourself at the first single nobleman you meet, and if you do meet one that seems to be getting very friendly very quickly, back off.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Just thought...

I wonder if Gary would have been familiar with either of these before Garia emerged and caused a stir in Palarand...

A certain song, which took its name from a certain poem...

:D

--B


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Brava Garia!

... though she has to work on being able to damage her opponent without it happening to her.

Way to go giving that tosser the errrr toss :)

I cannot add anything new as the others have pointed out that this is a social advancement and not a technological one being introduced to her new home.

And of course there is the inimical satisfaction of taking down a bully more than a few pegs!

Kim

Karma

terrynaut's picture

That was very satisfying to read, with Jarwin getting what he so richly deserved. Ugh. What a foul man.

Now for the next part. I like that Garia fears Merizel more than Jarwin. I hope Terys clarified everything so Merizel is properly grateful for what Garia did for her.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Merizel...

... might be hurt by Garias decision, but she'd be hurt worse by Jarwin. The question is, will she be able to see that, or only that Garia put a spanner in the works for her? How will her relation with Garia change because of this? She might need to see somebody like Jarwin in action against other ladies to realise Garia did her a favour.

I think the guard considers Garia's choice (or non-choice) of colours as her declaring herself as being one of them, and she certainly proved her worth in that area with this. And that means she'll get even busier as they are going to want a slice of her time.

Interesting to see the politics of the valley a bit. I wonder what this means for the long run, any eventual war happening with Yod or others, Jarwin might turn out to be a bit of a problem - is treachery against Palarand and their allies in his future because of how she humiliated him?

Somewhere Else Entirely -26-

That cad had it coming and justice is served. Wonder how many incidents he has caused being such a cad?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Things are gonna change also politically for Palarand

The impression I get is that she is in the one nation who has a most just ruler and a people who are strong and welcoming to those who come in peace ( and bearing gifts of course. )

Thing is though, Garia's arrival will change the balance of power - military and economic, even more than any atomic weapon can ever achieve ( surely she will not tell them how to build that, though gladly there is no way to create centrifuges and the like. )

Along with military and economic comes political. This will cause more headaches as their neighbors may band together to a perceived threat if this is not played right.

Point is it is, if one country must go into ascension, it is good it is Palarand as I do not believe they would truly abuse their new position of power.

Kim

Wow!

From the very introduction of Jarwin, it was obvious that Garia was going to teach him a lesson -- martial arts are so central to this story. I don't really believe that industrial development is the core here. What I do suspect is Garia's knowledge and personality protects Palarand somehow. The only question I have is Garia's relationship with the Prince. Can she breach the nobles only tradition? That she was first called 'Princess', may she become so?

*

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

I am a grain of sand on a near beach; a nova in the sky, distant and long.
In my footprints wash the sea; from my hands flow our universe.
Fact and fiction sing a legendary song.
Trickster/Creator are its divine verse.

--Old Man CoyotePuma

I found

This story only recently and I read chapters 1 through 26 in under a week - it has been thouroughly enjoyable!!!

Well... If she won't claw

Well... If she won't claw out garias eyes, she can't do much.
Actually Merizel should be thankful since a women in such a time is only worth her first blood. She would have been used as a whore and not even paid for it.
If I were Garia I'd be a coward and send in Merizels brother first to wash her head.

Thank you for writing this awesome story,

Beyogi

Yes

I really like that girl, er young woman lol! She taught a man who badly needed a lesson taught a good lesson of manners!

Hand

I hope her hand heals correctly with the level of medicine, I bet more trouble comes from this once what she can do gets out. I also hope they realize she would be a worthy queen. I wonder if women are going to be wanting lessons as well now.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Shamed in a big way

Jamie Lee's picture

Jarwin knew the King wouldn't let his guard captain stand against him because of what he said. Nor Keren either, so he kept flapping his gums knowing nothing would be done because of his brother.

Surprise, bladder breath, you've been challenged by of all things, a girl. His attempted refusal dripped with arrogance and that was his big mistake.

Jarwin was used to fighting others who fought as he did, so when he went up against someone who fought differently, he wasn't prepared. His training, and that of the place guard, never emphasized expect the unexpected, something Garia was taught.

Jarwin wanting everyone to know what happened will only get him laughed at, being beaten severely by a, girl.

Hopefully Garia only suffered bad sprains and not broken bones.

Merizel best have her ears open and her mouth in neutral when she meets with Garia, or there will be more trouble.

Others have feelings too.

Wherever

Garia goes, and whatever she does she certainly causes ripples at least!