Moon Harper - Pt 4

Printer-friendly version


 
Moon Harper - Part 4
 
by Armond
 
 
No one bothered to mention I’d be signing up for this! I thought becoming a teenage girl would be impossible to deal with. Turns out it’s the least of my worries. With my talking harp á€ine, I can do things no human should be able to. And it scares the crap out of me!

Deal with it Moon Harper, á€ine said. You are Shauna Deirbhile, and this is your time of rising!
 
 


~o~O~o~


 
 
XIV. October 29 Saturday 3AM Northbound I-95
 
No one spoke. No one knew what to say, beyond the perfunctory. á€ine told me where we needed to go, and I passed the information along to Leolin and Chevonne, but past that, silence.

We sped again, in Leolin's Charger, back to Tamsin's grove. No one stopped us. No one followed us; neither Danaan guard, nor Fomor Sorcerer. No one.

When I played my lullaby on á€ine in the Council Chambers, everyone fell into a deep sleep; I alone stood, holding my harp.

I awakened Leolin and Chevonne with a touch, and we left the chamber, to find all the Danaans asleep throughout the Boston Sanctuary. No. One. Moved.

It didn't stop there.

Exiting the sanctuary, we found Boston veiled in slumber. Cars stopped, still in the freeway, their drivers slumped onto steering wheels. No sirens sounded nor buses or trains. No dogs barked or birds flew in the sky. Even the wind slept. Life only resumed after we passed Somerville.

Did I do this?

'Yes,' á€ine answered, 'your Geantrai radiated outward in all directions, bringing slumber to all things. Your power is great.'

The Geantra, the sleeping, one of the three types of Bardic music, along with Joy and Sorrow. And I had used it, hitting Boston like a bomb. I hoped to heaven I hadn't killed anyone.

'No, though you have that power,' á€ine said.

I did? That scared the shit out of me!

Danu knew it would; she was wise to raise you as she did.

“Danu raised me? What do you mean by that?” I blurted.

Chevonne and Leolin stared at me from the front seat. I read their eyes; they feared me. Not the monster in the night terror either; this was awe. And there was a distance between us, which …hurt. In these last days, I'd grown closer to Leolin and Chevonne than I thought possible. We were a team. But now…

“Why do you stare at me like that?”

“Because of what you aren't and what you are,” Chevonne said.

“What I'm not? What's that mean?”

The redhead took a deep breath. “You aren't mortal, Shauna.”

“Bullshit!” What was she saying? What was she calling me? “I'm as mortal as the next guy …er …gal.”

“Are you? Let's review the facts,” Leolin said, with false calm. “You played and sang the greater part of Boston to sleep. You dispel illusion with a touch…”

“…You brought Leo and me back to life,” Chevonne added.

“Yes! Mustn't forget that little fact either,” Leolin said.

“That wasn't me!” I screamed. “The Dagda brought you back to life…”

And there it was, another reminder of the world I had not only been thrown into, but was a central part of. Chevonne and Leolin died. And a being, claiming to be my father, resurrected them. I hadn't done an extensive study or anything, but I was pretty sure those were the kind of things whole religions were founded on. The implications crashed down on me.

“…w-when he came looking for his harp. I took the drink he gave me from his cauldron and gave it to you.”

“The Dagda? The Good God Himself?” Leolin swerved a bit when he took on that news.

The light bulb flashed in Chevonne's face. “The song you sang! You called him - the ruler of the gods below Danu- to you! And you still have your harp. Explain!”

“I …played him a song, and he …let me keep my harp …because he said I was his …daughter.”

My voice trailed away. Shit! I could scream 'why me?' at the top of my lungs, but I couldn't deny what was happening …what I was becoming …any longer.

“His daughter?” Chevonne squealed. “Holy Danu, you are a demi-goddess!”

No you're not, á€ine countered.

“And do you think,” Chevonne pressed, “you will retain your new divine powers if you switch back to your old body?”

á€ine? I held my breath.

You will be powerful as Sean or Shauna.

“Yes, I will,” I said, exhaling. “Why do you ask?”

Chevonne was punching numbers on her cell phone. “Because switching you back may be the best way to avoid a total war between the Danaans and Fomorians. A war we'd both lose, in the end, because the humans will learn of our existence. If you were male again, maybe the Fomors will think their 'Daughter of Dagda' prophecy is unfulfilled and …hello Tam? Chevonne. We're at Defcon 1 here…”

She turned to me. “How long do you think everyone will stay asleep?”

'The enchanted sleep will last but a few hours,' á€ine said. 'When you come into your full power, you can make it last a hundred years.'

I could do that? Why did I have such power? I wasn't sure if I ever wanted to play á€ine again.

Don't speak so! You must! We are bound together!

I shook my head, looked out the window at the predawn gray, and mumbled,

“About three hours.”

Chevonne nodded. “Tam, we have a three hour head start before all hell breaks loose. We need you to bring Darcy back to the grove to-”

She paused. “You did? Thank Danu for your big brain! Gather everyone; we'll be there in..." she turned to Leolin, "What's our ETA?"

"Unless our little miracle worker has another trick up her sleeve, we'll arrive around 10,” the knight answered.

You could you know, á€ine said. You could play a tune to lull time to sleep.

"No, no no!" I beat my head against the car window.

"What? …Sorry, Tam, Shauna was freaking out again." Chevonne said, and paused.

"Eh? Shauna Deirbhile is Sean ...we have lots to tell. Anyway, we can't wait for Samhain; we must invoke the purification ritual now when we get there, and then switch them back."

Chevonne paused again. "I know, but waiting is a no go. We've got an army of angry Fomors nipping at our heels; we must hope there's enough power to..." She stopped, turning to me again. “Do we even need Samhain to cleanse Darcy?”

I didn't answer her. But I had a feeling, even without á€ine telling me. Somehow, I could do it.

I fuzzed out the rest of her call with Tamsin. I kinda heard her tell me when we dashed away, Tamsin had the foresight to lure Darcy back to the farm in case we escaped the Fomors. The priestesses glamoured 'Sean' into thinking he won a free weekend stay at the farm. I snapped out of it more when the red-headed priestess shook me.

"Did you hear me? 'Sean' is there now and ...he's brought Sarah with him."
 

~o~O~o~


 
XV. October 29 Saturday 1PM Tamsin Caroline's farm
 
“I don't care if the entire Fomorian race is coming, the ritual must start at sunset,” May said, her hands planted on her hips. May's normal hair color -silver- changed to match her determination -granite-.

“Ma'am, the entire Fomorian Nation is coming, at least the North American part of it,” Leolin said. “Our cushion is gone, they will be here soon.”

Once we arrived, Leolin contacted Fianna knights he trusted and learned my 'slumber bomb' wore off around sunrise, which had given us a longer lead than we'd calculated.

Still, time was running out. Leolin's contact said the Fomors fanned out from Boston in all directions to chase us, but the largest group was coming straight for Tamsin's Grove.

Since we arrived, the Danu priestesses and Leolin had been busy, tripling and quadrupling the protection wards around Tamsin's property. Still, no one believed these would keep the Fomors out for long. The Knights also sent a contingent, but Leolin wasn't sure whether their mission was to protect me or 'escort' me back to the Boston sanctuary. The betrayal of the Boston Danaans had shaken his core.

“High Priestess, I beg you, start the ritual now. Try tapping into Shauna's power; from all I've seen, it is astonishing.”

May was unimpressed. "Can she move the sun in the sky to set with her harping? Remember, we are two days from Samhain; I doubt the ritual will work this early. At the least we cannot compromise on the timing, the purification must start at dusk.”

The light shone in Chevonne's eyes again. “Speed the sun, no, but she holds The Dagda's harp; legends say he could play up a winter's storm in summer if he chose. Could she do something like that? To delay the Fomors long enough for the ritual and soul switch spell?”

Eyes turned to me; Tamsin, May, Siofra, Gwyneth and the rest of the Danu priestesses, and to my left and right, Leolin and Chevonne. Each looked to me with …hope?

What was this thing I'd become to them?

Whatever, my heart wasn't in it; when we'd first arrived, I ran to find Sarah. Tamsin tried to stop me; telling me 'Sean' and Sarah were treating this free weekend as a mini honeymoon. She said they'd gone for a 'long walk' in the woods. I didn't take the hint.

I should have; when I found Darcy in my old body and Sarah, they were not walking:
 

 
I hid behind a tree and watched; spied on my own body kissing my lover. They looked so happy.

More than that, they …held each other as lovers do - intimate and possessive. I searched my brain to remember Sarah holding me that way …and I couldn't.

I crept away so they wouldn't hear me -not that they would have heard an elephant crashing through the woods, as wrapped together as they were- and stumbled back to Tamsin's house.

I didn't know how to process it, and had been dazed since. My focus in the frenetic crazy days since my switch was to get back to my life with Sarah, but …was she happier with Darcy?

It was selfish vanity I know -the Fomor devils were coming to kill me, and everyone standing with me was at risk- but when I returned to Tam's house, I ran to Darcy's room, slammed the door, and cried. There I stayed until Chevonne and Gwen dragged me out to meet with everyone.

“Well, Shauna Deirbhile?” Chevonne said. “Can you call a winter's storm on The Dagda's harp?”

I shook my head, a futile gesture to push my depression away. “She's my harp, not his. I can call …something. But you saw what happened in Boston…”

The news reports showed no one died. Thank Danu. The media and public authorities were scrambling for an explanation; the current theory on CNN was a major gas leak.

“…so I might bring down a new ice age.”

Chevonne and Leolin took my hands and led me to where I'd left á€ine. I'd been afraid to touch her since Boston.

But when I did, I sighed with relief.

About damn time you picked me up again.

I'm sorry …I didn't …I

Shauna, I understand how much has been thrust on you in so short a time. Let go of your worries for now, and let us play.

Can I do as they ask?

Of course. You are Shauna Deirbhile.

“Shauna? “ Chevonne said. “Do you have a song to bring a winter storm?”

“Not sure,” I said. “I have a McKennitt piece called Snow. Let's see what happens.”

I plopped down cross-legged on the cold brown grass, and played.

A snowflake licked my face when I finished. Looking up, I saw the sky gray with clouds. Soon, a light snowfall blanketed the area, though I wouldn't call it the storm of the century.

Ah well, sometimes ya got it and sometimes ya don't.

Then á€ine giggled. At me. As if I'd said the funniest thing in the world.

“OMG!” Gwyneth squealed. I'd worked out by now that when she said the phrase, it meant, 'Oh My Goddess.' “Look at this!”

She stuck her iPhone under my nose. I squinted, trying to interpret the white swirls and squiggles.

“Thanks, Gwen, er ...great, but what is this?”

“A satellite pic, you moron, showing a freak nor'easter appearing from nowhere. Twitter's gone crazy! You did it! It's blizzarding everywhere in New England but here!”

I looked at the image again, but my brain would not believe the data my eyes sent to it.
 

 
á€ine? Tell me this wasn't us!

You see why the Fomors fear you now, yes?

Leolin gave me a hand up, and when I stood, Chevonne wrapped her arms around my neck and pulled my forehead to hers.

"Don't be frightened, Shauna, you are amazing; this is what you do."

What does that mean? Was everyone clued into what was happening to me but me?

Only Leolin and Chevonne; they are special to you, á€ine said. You'll see. Hang with me a few more hours, love, we're almost there.

I didn't want to see anything. I wanted my body back. I wanted Sarah back. I wanted her to hold me the way she held Darcy. I wanted...

My snow storm had chilled me; I wanted hot chocolate.
 

~o~O~o~


 
XVI. October 29 Saturday 3 PM Tamsin Caroline's kitchen
 
 
The first thing to know is Tam slow cooks her hot chocolate in a crock pot.

Yes, she dumps in Double Dutch Dark cocoa, milk, a glob of maple syrup, a dash of peppermint extract. She even dollops a homemade marshmallow chunk on top. But it's slow cooking that's key. I'd tell The Dagda to put this elixir in his cauldron next time I saw him. It was so damn velvety smooth, I insisted á€ine switch places with me so she could experience heaven. It sent her into cocoa delirium.

Mmmmm. You can switch places with me any time, Shauna Deirbhile, if I can drink this!

I sat alone in Tamsin's kitchen, wrapped in a blanket, looking out the window at swirling white flakes. Leolin patrolled the property looking for breaches in the wards, while Chevonne and the Danu priestesses sat in the living room, preparing for Darcy's cleansing ritual.

I could have joined them, to hear how it would go, but I think I scared the crap out of them, all save Tamsin. Even Gwen was now afraid of me; Tam would have been too, I expect, if I wasn't in her daughter's body.

Why wouldn't they be? By all reports, I conjured a blizzard that halted traffic in Maine, New Hampshire and Massachusetts. Once more I prayed no one died from what I'd done.

No one will, Shauna, because you did not intend so, á€ine said.

I know you mean to comfort me, love, but that scares me more.

I used words like love with á€ine now without thinking, as did she in return, and I wondered at this. It was like …after all my years, I was remembering a greater part of myself. Our self.

“That smells wonderful! You wouldn't have any extra, would you?”

Speaking of lovers, there Sarah stood; she'd stepped in through the back kitchen door, and snowflakes still covered her hair. She had thrown on a blue sweater I'd bought her last Christmas and her scratchy white mittens I always gave her crap about.

“You bet; all part of the Caroline farm experience.” I jumped up, poured her a huge mug, tossed in a 'mellow, and handed it to her. For as dear as she clutched the mug, it could well be The Dagda's life giving brew.
 

 
“Good God, this is amazing.”

I nodded, but didn't answer. I wanted her to savor it, and, I didn't know what to say.

Don't get me wrong; I wanted to say so many things, like 'hey, it's me in here, your real lover Sean', or 'I love you and miss you, Sarah.' Or reach over and smack a kiss on her. But I couldn't; she'd think me insane!

After a good minute of 'mmm's and 'ah's, she glanced up from her steaming mug.

“You're Darcy, right? Sean said he met you when he was here the other weekend.”

Darcy. That's who she'd think I was. I had so many names swirling around my head, it was hard to keep track.

One name alone matters, Shauna Deirbhile, á€ine said.

When I looked over at her in the kitchen corner, Sarah followed my eyes and saw á€ine.

“How weird; your harp looks identical to Sean's. Do you play?”

“A little.” I motioned for her to sit in a chair at the kitchen table and I took one too. “So Sean plays the harp?”

“Um hmm,” She said, without enthusiasm. “Though not so much since he returned from his stay here the other night.”

Interesting. “So where is your …fiancée?”

“My hubby; we just married. He's in the barn house, taking a nap, the wuss. He wanted to be fresh for this …bonfire Tamsin invited us to this evening? Weather permitting.”

Ah! That's how Tam pitched it; she'd stuck to plan. And then I couldn't stop my mouth from flapping. “Why did he need a nap?”

“Because,” Sarah whispered leaning forward, “I've been wearing him out.”

The expression of my lover at that moment was the most joyous I'd seen on her, ever.

My eyes watered, so I looked away to the window; I didn't want her to see me breaking down.

“You love him then?” I choked.

She reached across the table to grab my hand. “So much. Two weeks ago, I thought we were finished; Sean seemed paralyzed; he couldn't commit. To me, to his job, to anything. Anything except his harp playing, but he was trying to give that up for me.”

“Did you …want him to give it up?”

“I admit I wasn't ecstatic over his 'harp love' but I recognized how much it, or she, was part of him. So no, I didn't want him to. He was so torn up, though, I thought he would be unable to commit. So I told him we should call off the wedding.”

I nodded. She told me some of this, but not the part about recognizing how important á€ine was to me.

“But then …when he returned from here …something changed?”

Her face brightened. “Oh yes! He was different, like another person, and we clicked like never before.”

Danu! She loves Darcy in a way she never did with me!

“I've never heard you talk this way be-” Stop. Think. She doesn't know you in this body. “So, you're happy, hey? And you'll start a family? Kids and all?”

“When Sean wakes, I'm going to thunk his head; he called you a dour bratty teen. You're anything but! And our stay here has been fabulous; sooo romantic. Sean and I made a pact to try to come here every year for our anniversary. Since you feel like family, I'll share.”

Sarah leaned back in her chair, flicked back her reddish hair and looked around to see if anyone was listening. Then she leaned forward and whispered,

“We've stopped using contraceptives. You do know what I'm talking about, right? Teens these days know this stuff way before they're teens and …sorry, I'm babbling. But the point is, we're trying.”

Children. Sarah wanted a family. And we'd never spoken about it. Oh, she'd hinted, but that was all.

“Oh, no,” She said. “By the look on your face, I've over shared.”

I waved her off, pretending I hadn't been slammed by her words, but my mouth flapped again before my brain could stop it.

“Ya know I'd hoped someday we'd …I'd …have kids, when I was ready. It's not like I didn't want them, but-”

“-Aw sweetie, I understand. You're what, 17? It's scary! I thought the same way when I was your age. But I'm ten years older than you and it's time. You'll know when it's right …when the right one comes along.”

“I'm …so happy for you.” I tried -tried- to say it with conviction. But my heart screamed otherwise, because I was going to get my body back, and it would be not Sarah's and Darcy's dream, but Sarah's and mine.

The thought should thrill me right? Part of me was, but there was another side of me that, ya know, felt like crap at what I would do to them. Why was I thrust into this position? I didn't ask for any of this!

“Look! The clouds are clearing,” Sarah said. “Not much daylight left; I'd better go wake Sean for the bonfire. Tam said it happens at dusk, right? What can we expect? It sounds a bit more than roasting marshmallows.”

I looked out the window to see a cold autumn sun nearing the gray horizon; almost show time. What was the script we'd come up with? I cleared my throat and launched into it.

“While we are doing this a couple of days early -because you can't be here for the real night- Halloween, or Samhain, is the beginning of the Celtic new year. It's the time of winter; days grow shorter and darkness longer. So Tam and her friends celebrate by building a big bonfire; our wish to the sun to come back soon.”

Cool,” Sarah said. “I like it. Anything else we should know? Do we have to say anything?”

I shook my head. “The bonfire is meant to welcome good spirits. It's also a …purification rite; in olden days farmers circled the fire with their livestock to remove sickness and disease, for a prosperous new year. All you and …Sean …have to do is stay toasty warm under thick blankets, and down more of Tam's kick ass hot chocolate. Except this batch will have peppermint schnapps in it.”

She laughed. “Ohhh yeah, we can do that. This sounds wonderful! Well, I'd better go wake sleepyhead so he can get ready.”

She set her cup down and walked to the kitchen door; turning to me before she left.

“Bonfire. I bet the word comes from the French 'bon', or good. This will be romantic; I'm so happy we won this weekend stay here. I couldn't think of a better place to be in the world. See you in a few. Someone will come get us right?”

I nodded and gave her a goodbye wave. I could have corrected her, and told her the name comes from the practice of Celtic farmers of throwing the bones of their dead livestock into the fire as a sacrifice to their gods, so it's not bonfire but 'bone-fire'. Worse, I could have told her an army of night terrors was coming, creatures who would cheerfully throw our bones -and the screaming rest of us- into a raging fire.

Could have, but I didn't. I mean, soon, this all could explode apart in the bloodiest of ways; what was the harm in letting Sarah hold onto her romantic notions for a little while longer?

No, I kept my mouth shut, and after she left, I grabbed á€ine and fled to Darcy's room. There I crawled into bed, and pulled the covers over my head. My goal was to push the images -of Sarah's face lit from the thought of raising a family with Darcy, and of the two lovers kissing under the autumn leaves- far far from my mind.

I failed.
 

~o~O~o~


 
 
XVII. October 29 Saturday 6 PM Tamsin Caroline's Holy Grove
 
 
“Breath of Life, Element of Air, Guardian of the East, we call you!” May said, facing eastward with arms raised to heaven. As she spoke, a breeze blew through the oak branches of the grove.

A full moon rose on the eastern horizon, as the sun set to the west. A blood moon.

May said we were two days early for Samahin, but I swear I heard faraway voices. Not distant, but separated? Make no sense, I know.

The walls between the realms are always thin for such as you, Shauna, á€ine said. You hear home.

Home. There's a concept. Where was a 'home' for 'such as me'? I sighed.

“Passion's Flame, Element of Fire, Guardian of the South, we call you!”

The bonfire, already crackling, roared in answer to May's call. 'Sean' and Sarah sat entranced near the warm blaze; glassy-eyed and glamoured by the Danu priestesses. For all I knew of the illusion spells they were under, they did see this as a s'mores party. May moved past them to the next 'Quarter.'

“Deep Well of Wisdom, Element of Water, Guardian of the West, we call you!”

A mist rose and cascaded before the High Priestess. I sat with á€ine in hand and soaked it up, no pun intended. For all my crash training at the beginning of this adventure, I was sidelined for this part of the ceremony, as The Dagda's brew cleansed the Fomor corruption from Darcy's -my- body. Tonight's second spell, the soul switching, was what I longed for. But first they needed to cleanse Darcy's soul. May walked to the final Quarter.

“Bountiful Green, Element of Earth, Guardian of the North, we call you!”

Golden leaves floated down to her as she lowered her arms. The priestesses turned as one to the moon, hanging low and large on the horizon. Together they chanted,

Hail Danu, Lady of the Moon! Hail Great Mother! We ask you to join us in this sacred circle! Bless us in our work tonight!”

In answer, the moon drew closer! But if the priestesses saw, they didn't act like it; moving to the next part of the cleansing ritual.

They didn't, Shauna, only you.

Why, á€ine? Why can only I see it?

Let us speak of sound, not sight, hmm, Moon Harper? Do you recall the trick Tam taught you to activate the elements?

Sure, I nodded, and remembered associating different strings -and my sound board - with air, fire, water, and earth. Why?

Imagine taking it farther, love, á€ine said. Imagine not only the elements, but all things in creation, having a unique vibration, each with its own string.

Yes! How simple! It clicked.

Though the priestesses spoke the words of the cleansing ritual, I heard each's vibration energy. Tam's, May's, Gwen's, each with her own signature wave length.

It didn't stop there, wave patterns surrounded me, of trees, rocks, sky, and, I knew …I knew …which stings on á€ine to pluck to match them, harmonize with them or change them.

á€ine! I can… I can…

Yes, Shauna Deirbhile, Yes, Daughter of Inspiration, You can create. You can destroy.

But why tell me this now? Why not yesterday or-

Listen! They are failing! They have not the power! You must save Darcy!

I tuned back into the priestesses' ceremony. Tamsin was speaking, and sounded desperate.

“Under the moon, in this place of magic, again Danu we beg you, cleanse this soul from corruption!”

At her words, my old body lurched forward; 'Sean' grabbed his stomach …and screamed. Blood foamed from his mouth.

The priestesses broke their circle ranks and flew to him, but didn't know what to do. Chevonne alone stood back, bowed her head, and whispered:

“Under the moon, in this place of magic, Shauna Deirbhile, I beg you, cleanse this soul from corruption!”

She spoke the same invocation as Tam, only using my name in place of Danu. Why?

Don't waste time! á€ine said. Do it, or your old body dies.

Once more, I lifted á€ine into my arms.

There! The soul dissonance was there

Tied to the rhythm of his heart. Resonating discord with each beat.

It's subtle, á€ine said. The dissonance amplified when the priestesses attempted Darcy's initiation before, and again just now with the cleansing.

How do you …where do you start with something like this? I asked á€ine. Wouldn't it fight what I could do just as much as it resisted the Danu priestesses' magic?

You don't fight it, you resolve it.

Resolve it? Fight, resolve, á€ine was parsing words here.

How do you resolve dissonant chords, luv?

Duh! With consonant chords!

But nothing overwhelming, your song must be subtle in response, á€ine said. Play, Shauna Deirbhile, heal Darcy's soul.

Play what? The solution came after a few moments. It would take some pretty cool harmonics, huh?

After the last note from á€ine’s strings quieted, Sarah shook off her illusion trance.

“Sean? Oh, God what’s wrong? Talk to me!”

Darcy raised my old body, blinked, and then hugged Sarah before drawing back.

“I'm okay, luv, I …I feel, hmm, the best I have in a long time!”

In a hurried move, May waved her wand over 'Sean' and Sarah and murmured words; the couple turned glassy-eyed again and drifted back into their 'warm bonfire' illusion. Then the High Priestess strode over to me with a relieved Tamsin in tow. Chevonne already stood to my right.

“The taint is gone; you removed it where we could not! Don't misunderstand me -this is wonderful!- but it would have been …” The elder High Priestess was as close to sounding irritated as I'd heard from her. “…nice, if you would have told me you could banish the Fomor corruption with a tune before we went through this exercise, hmm?”

“I …erm …figured it out a minute ago and-”

Leolin came running to us, glowing in his full green Fianna Armor.

“A Fomor force has pushed through the storm and is attacking our wards. Have you finished the cleansing?”

“After a fashion,” May answered. “How long do we have before they break through?”

“A few minutes yet, for we've set many barriers,” the knight answered. “I'd say 15 minutes…”

A loud FOOOM sounded, from beyond the woods.

“Crap! They destroyed an entire circle ward!” Leolin said. “Check what I said; ten minutes at most. Do the switch now!”

May nodded, and started barking orders, while Tamsin took my hands in hers.

“It's time, Sean. You've done more …far more …than I could have imagined for Darcy and me. Thank you.” She kissed me on my cheek. “I promised you we would return you to your body, and so it is time, though life will be greatly changed for you as Sean Deirbhile.

I nodded, and watched as the priestesses realigned in the circle formation they held when I was switched those many days ago.

My body. My life. My Sarah. I couldn't wait!

But listen, luv, to their song, á€ine whispered.

What? Who's song?

Darcy and Sarah's. Together. Listen.

I looked at the couple, arms clasped around each other, the warm bonfire flicker lighting their faces, her head on his shoulder.

Or rather, I listened to the couple; I heard their souls …singing to each other …with each other …harmony and melody trading between them.

Tears welled once more in my eyes and I motioned Tamsin to me. Operating by instinct, I clasped her hands and said, “hear.”

Through my touch, she heard their soul song. Her eyes misted too.

“Oh dear …oh Danu,” she murmured, “they're soul mates.”

She looked in my eyes as her lips quivered. “Darcy is so happy and Sarah …hear her soul's ecstasy! But …it is your body, Sean, your choice. You should switch back, even if…”

Another FOOOM echoed through the grove.

“One circle left,” Leo shouted. “Do this NOW!”

I will love you as Sean or Shauna, á€ine said. Yet I heard the 'but' in her caress.

“No!” I fell to the cold ground and pounded it with my fist. “No no no! I. Can't. Do this to them!”

Chevonne knelt beside me. “You must! To avert a war of annihilation! Switch Shauna!”

“Now!” Leolin added, “for we have no more time!”

Was that right? Even if my conscience screamed how wrong it was to separate these lovers, perhaps I needed to do this for the good of all? But …Chevonne's logic made no sense.

“These are Fomors, Chevonne, trying to avert an ancient prophecy. Do ya think they'll shrug and say, 'oh, you switched 'em back? Well, no worries then.' No, they'll whack us both, Darcy and me, no matter which body we are in.”

“Dammit! That's true!” the redhead growled. “Then what will we do?”

“I'll play another lullaby or-”

“CHILD! COME TO ME!”

When the voice spoke, everything froze. All in the grove were statue still. Not a breath moved. Time stopped. And the moon grew,
 

 
larger and larger, until it filled the sky. Until it was so close I could touch it. But I didn't; with á€ine in hand I stepped through.

Because the voice calling to me from the other side was my mother.
 

~o~O~o~


 
Time - nonexistent. Place - somewhere beyond.
 
 
Grassy hills under starlight. A soft breeze, tinged with wild flowers, caressed me.

I remember this place! When I was a child, mother brought me here to play, but my memory told me it was a park not …another world.

Childhood memories are always much more, and less, than was true.

At that moment, I realized I wasn't holding á€ine's neck, but someone's hand. I turned to see a woman's face, garlanded in white roses, with the bluest eyes in the universe.
 

 
I remembered her; how could I have forgotten? We played here together when I was a child. The other boys laughed at my imaginary 'girl' friend. They wouldn't now; I did not remember her looking this …this…

Sensual?

á€ine's voice sounded like harp strings, if a harp could talk. Okay, that makes no sense, other than to convey a metaphor come to life - her words were music to my ears.

I was going to say you looked hot.

I see. I wish you could see your spirit form, because you do too, Shauna, with your night black hair and chocolate blue eyes. Mmm, chocolate! Why'd you have to introduce me to that vice? Anyway, I did not look as I do when we played; I age to match your age.

Huh? Why was that?

Come, Moon Harper, She waits. Do you remember the way?

I did. When I was a kid, after á€ine and I ran ourselves silly with chasing bugs and throwing rocks, I'd follow the path over the grassy hill. There she'd be, puttering among her flowers. Except …mother was dead, and had been for years.

As we crested the hill, I looked down on a vast meadow garden of red poppies, and bluebonnets, spring beautys and wild roses.

I will leave you for a while; your time with Her should be yours alone, á€ine said. It has been long since I've been here …and had legs …I want to run! See ya!

With that my harp …sprinted away. I never imagined I'd be thinking those words. Go figure.

But then, my breath caught, because I saw a woman there, wearing a floppy hat, tending to some flower. She turned and … and…

It was my Mam!

I fell to my knees, clasped the heels of my hands to my eyes, and wept.

She was quick to my side, singing soothing words; She took my hands from my eyes, and hugged me.

“Aw baby, hush now. Hush my darling.”

These were the phrases she said to me when I was a kid after I'd scraped a knee or elbow. So I cried all the more.

She chuckled. “Shauna. I'm not dead; I am not mortal. And neither are you.”

“But …you died. I buried you!”

“A shadow body.” She shook her head. “As Sean, you were always one to toss out a thousand questions, and I doubt you've changed your ways as Shauna.”

I was about to ask her a question about that, but managed to bite my lip closed.

“Good. First things first. I am not your mother.”

“Wait, WHAT?!”

“Stay calm for another moment, dearest. In all ways that matter, yes, I am your mother; I changed your diapers. I sang you to sleep at night. I picked you up when you fell down. But in point of fact, I am your grandmother; I am Danu, Mother of the Gods.”

Her gray-haired aspect changed; she grew young, and became the woman I knew from our old photo album, except stars sparkled in her hair. Not fake ones; actual stars.
 

 
When a normal person meets the Mother of the Gods…

Wait? Did I just say 'when a normal person meets the Mother of the Gods?' Did I really?

I sighed; and shook my head. How had I come to this?

…anyway, said average person, upon meeting said Creatrix, would, I expect, have a natural propensity to fall to the ground, and jam his or her head into the earth as deep as possible.

Me? Remember, it was She who spanked me when I repainted our kitchen walls with blueberry yogurt. She was the only mother I'd known.

“Okay. This is me, taking a deep breath, and being patient for an explanation.”

Danu smiled at me, and when she did, the stars in the sky grew brighter.

“You, showing patience? What miracle is this? It's your new feminine perspective, yes? I should have switched The Dagda millennia ago; it would have saved the universes so much trouble.”

We sat in her garden of flowers, under a vast canopy of twinkling stars; I laid my head into her lap. She was my mother no matter what the relation.

But, that raised a question.

“The Dagda is your son and my father?” When she nodded, I said. “So I'm demi-god …er, goddess?”

“Demi-nothing!” She shook her head. “Your Mother is Rhiannon, goddess of Inspiration and the Moon. The literal translation of 'Deirbhile' is Daughter of Inspiration, Moon Harper. You are 100% pure grade goddess.”

Told ya! á€ine yelled from somewhere. You couldn't come here, to the gods' Realm of Beyond, unless you were.

Rhiannon? But why didn't she raise me? “Explain.”

“Your father you've met. Immense power, big hearted and a bit of an oaf and airhead; just ask á€ine. Your mother -lovely goddess; you must meet her soon- had all that bother with her first son, Pryderi. When he was born, she managed to lose the lad, and caused a ruckus that wasn't cleared for years. So, neither your mother or father could be called good parenting material.”

That made a certain amount of sense. “You stepped in and raised me? Because you didn't want me to be neglected?”

When She nodded, another question sprang up -She was right about me; I had an infinite supply of them-.

“Why did you raise me-”

“-In the earthly realm, rather than here, or the Summerland Realm, or any of the other ten thousand realms?”

“Y-yeah.” Holy crap! Ten thousand realms? Were they like, alternate universes?

Don't think on it Shauna; one impossibility at a time.

Hey? You're still listening to my thoughts, á€ine? Why aren't you flitting about?

I don't 'flit', my goddess, and we are joined forever; I share your every thought.

Danu smiled. “You have much to learn, daughter of my heart, of the infinite wonders of the universes, and your place in them as a Power. á€ine is your talisman alone. The Dagda borrowed her until your rising. She is your power conduit.”

“What if I lose her?” I said. Because, ya know, gods and heroes were always doing stupid crap like that.

“Not possible, Shauna Deirbhile; were she buried in the center of the earth, if you call her, she will come.”

I considered that; trying to piece together what I'd become. “So she's to me what Mjá¶lnir is to Thor?”

Please! I could kick Mjá¶lnir's ass, á€ine said.

Yeah? I didn't know hammers had asses, á€ine.

Shut up!

“But we digress,” Danu said. “The reason I raised you on earth, is the souls living in that blessed realm are, generation by generation, diminish.”

Diminish generation by generation? If anything, the world seemed more exciting; day by day, some new breakthrough stretches human possibilities further. No, not day by day, minute by minute.

“The Danaans are fading. You heard Tamsin speak of the Summerland realm? Hers may be the last generation to remember the Summerland path. Soon, Danaans will be indistinguishable from humans. You've seen their future, in the 'wondrous palace' beneath Boston.

Yes I had; it was Hans Christian Anderson's The Emperor's New Clothes come to life. All the Boston Danaans has left of magic was illusion.

“The Fomorians, too, have lessened,” Danu continued.

Oh? “I found them plenty powerful; they killed Chevonne and Leolin.”

Danu nodded, but gave me a sad smile. “If you could have seen them before when I birthed them! Now, they are anthropomorphic, becoming more manlike with age. Then, they were rocks and trees and earth come to life! Oh if you could have seen it, Shauna!”

“Isn't this evolution though? And …what's so bad about being human?”

Danu laughed and rubbed my head. “This is why I raised you as I did; you are connected to the world as it is today, in a way your brother gods and sister goddesses are not. Can you envision people 'relating' your father?

I snorted at the image of The Dagda stomping through New York, with his club and cauldron.

“Exactly. No, there is nothing wrong with being human; the works of mortal women and men are wonders to we gods, even. Yet, with each marvelous invention, as all is provided at the press of a button, what room is there for imagination?”

Danu sighed, and looked so worn down; her voice cracked. “My children's souls harden and the earth grows sterile.”

I'd lost her once; I would never do so again! I gripped her shoulders. “How can I help?”

Her face brightened. “You will reach them, Moon Harper, with your music. Music remains the one wonder all mortals still open to. You have the power and compassion. This I saw when you sacrificed your love for Sarah, and gave your old body, so Darcy and Sarah could be together. I dampened your power for as long as I could, hoping your time on earth would allow your compassion for mortals to grow. It has; you know their despair. Help them.”

“You want me to be a savior?”

She laughed and hugged me, and it felt so good to be in her arms. “Heavens no! The world's had saviors by the dozen, with more on the way. No Shauna, no! Bring them wonder! Make their souls sing!”

How would I do that?

By playing me, you dolt, á€ine said. She had wandered over to us and sat beside me.

Danu clasped my face in her hands. “A goddess or god eventually grows beyond the mortal world; with our powers and immortality, the gulf widens as the centuries fly by. Hang onto your connection to the Danaans, Humans and Fomors.”

She ran a hand through my hair. “This young female body was unexpected -who knew one of crazy Cethlenn's prophecies would come true?- but it pleases me, for it will ground you longer. Learn what it is to be a young woman in the world. Be gawky and awkward. Explore! Make mistakes! Stay with the mortals as long as you can so you may sing their souls awake. Play for the world, Moon Harper.”

Play for the world. What a concert that would be!

Not all at once, Shauna, but soul by soul, we will reach them, á€ine said.

How long have you known of this?

She shrugged, and looked amazing doing so, with those piercing blue eyes. I had always held her carefully, but I would do so all the more now.

Since the beginning of time you and I were destined to work wonders, Shauna Deirbhile.

I nodded, understanding at last my true purpose.

But a thought tickled my brain. “Mother, did you say I was to sing to the Fomors too? Last we left them, they were trying their damnedest to, um, off me.

“You are to play for all, daughter, just as I am Mother to all. But …while you should be careful to veil your full goddess aspect -mortals are not equipped to view the infinite- do not be shy in unleashing it as needed. Understood?”

As I nodded, á€ine snickered, oh, this is going to be good!

Danu stood and raised me up. “Return to earth; you have matters to address. Play for them, Shauna, just play!”

She gave me a fierce hug and kiss, then shooed us back up the path. “You know the way back here, come visit an old woman now and again.”

Then, floppy hat in place, she returned to tending her vast garden; which, I had figured out, was much more than a garden.
 

~o~O~o~


 
Hand in hand, á€ine and I walked back up the path and through the moon gate. When we stepped into Tamsin's grove, á€ine returned to 'harp form' in my hand.

All was as we'd left it; all were still frozen. Except, Chevonne and Leolin, who blinked, looked at me, and fell to the ground, prostrate.

“My goddess!” They said in unison. “Let us serve you; we beg you.”

Okay, so, this was awkward.

Deal with it, Moon Harper, you know what to do, á€ine said.

I did. These two were special to me. “Arise my Priest Peredur and Priestess Séarlait!”

After they didn't, á€ine prompted me. Dial back the goddess radiance and they will!

Oops. Forgot. I thought 'mortal Shauna', and the light surrounding me dimmed.

A loud FOOOOM snapped all the Danu priestesses from their trance.

“They've broken the last ward circle!” Leolin shouted, unsheathing his sword. “They are coming now!”

I strode in the direction my priest faced.

“Then let us greet them with a song.”
 

~o~O~o~


 
XVIII. October 29 Saturday 8 PM Tamsin Caroline's Farm
 
 
I wouldn't call the army that burst through the woods around Tamsin's farm as intimidating as the evil forces Peter Jackson conjured in the Rings trilogy, but then, Peter's was CGI, and these -trolls, ogres and night terrors- were real.

I swear, Shauna, á€ine said, you must be the geekiest goddess in the heavens.

I'm a goddess, hey? Where's the respect? The reverence?

Dream on.

I sighed; Apollo's lyre never back talked him like this, I was sure. Anyway, the Fomor force of several hundred looked somewhat frosty and bedraggled -my blizzard must have taken a toll- but they were plenty strong to overrun Tam's small crew.

The two leading the motley rabble I recognized: Farve, appearing cold and pissed, and Ldul, who survived, it appeared her Dagda assisted fiery sky trip. She did look singed; half her hair and her eyebrows were missing.

Chevonne's eyebrow -still red and beautiful and very much in place- raised as she saw the Fomor sorceress. And saw her hands rise in fire spell preparation.

“Shauna, I didn't fare so well last time,” Chevonne said, as she raised her shields.

“You are not the same as then,” I said, “you are my priestess.”

She took me on faith, and faced Ldul full blast once more.

Faith turned to knowledge as the flames glanced harmlessly away. A wicked grin crossed her face.

“Oh. My. Goddess,” meaning me, I supposed. “My power level is off the charts! I am so going to kick her butt.”

Chevonne counter attacked, chanting a spell to release a fiery ball of her own. Ldul’s shields held, though not before she was knocked back a good ten yards. The sorceress sat dazed on the frozen ground; blinking.

Farve stepped forward, and conjured a giant frost Cyclops with an incantation. Leolin leaped to engage, and with a thrust of his glowing sword, shattered the creature into thousands of frost shards. By the Fianna war whoop he let fly, I could tell my priest was also enjoying his amped power.

Isn't play time over, á€ine asked.

I agreed. “ENOUGH!”

My voice echoed through the forest and hills; and the Fomors halted their advance.

My fingers moved across á€ine in fast caresses as we spun out the tune Miranda and the Tempest

Angry clouds roiled the skies, and lightning struck in circles around the -now pee in pants terrified- Fomorians.
 

 
I walked to where Ldul and Farve crouched. “You and you! Stand! I would talk to you!”

They wobbled to their feet. Ldul -gotta love the gal- she managed to muster a sneer.

“We will fight you Daughter of Dagda. Even though we lose, though we die, we will not go quietly.”

She's more of a drama queen than you, á€ine said.

It seems to me, if a certain harp wanted to switch places to gobble dark chocolate, said harp might manage not to insult me so often.

You are wise and just, goddess; forgive your unworthy servant.

You know what's truly a miracle? How á€ine's voice sounds musical, sexy and sarcastic all at once.

“If I wanted to kill you, Ldul, I could do it now.” I strummed á€ine and lightning flashed over head.

“Then …what do you want? To enslave us? Our own goddess, Cethlenn warned us ages ago that a Daughter of Dagda would come-”

“-To upset the…” I strummed á€ine again for dramatic lightning flash effect. “…balance. Yeah, yeah. But what does that mean?”

“The balance of power,” Farve said, then the albino-eyed mage stopped speaking; and his pale brows furrowed. “But …if you have this much power, then you don't need to 'change the balance'… you could destroy us all with a …why are you here?”

“True, I am here to shake the status quo, among Danaans, Fomors and Humans. Danu has sent me, to all the mortals, to reawaken the song in their souls. She weeps for you and what you have lost.”

“And you will not destroy us?” When I shook my head, the sneer drained from Ldul's face. “Then what will you do?”

I held á€ine up.

“You've come to play?” Farve stammered. “That's it?”

“How can we believe you?” Ldul said.

I dialed up my goddess aspect, and a glow encircled me.

Why would I lie?

The Fomors fell to the ground, as my voice reverbered and echoed.

Cool effect. á€ine said.

Wasn't it? I answered, as I reined in my aspect.

When Farve and Ldul picked themselves up again, they had the cutest expressions of absolute confusion.

“But we tried to kill you,” Ldul said. “Why would you wish to help us?”

“Yes, I'm not thrilled about the 'shoot her on sight' relationship we've had so far, but I understand it. You believed I meant your people harm. And, unlike the Boston Danaans, you've been honest about it, except for what Roth did.” I was still enraged at what that creep had done to poor Darcy.

Farve grinned. “But Roth is not Fomorian. He bumped into you at a nearby local establishment it seems, and saw your resemblance to the description Cethlenn gave in her oracle convulsions. Our mages spent centuries developing a corruption spell to infect the Daughter of Dagda, but we weren't certain how to deliver it. The problem vexed us for eons. Roth offered us the perfect solution when he approached us. He said he gained your complete trust, and offered his services -for a hefty fee- to seduce you and implant it on you through a tattoo.”

As the Fomors were clueless about my switch, I saw no reason to educate them. What I wanted was more information on Roth. “If he wasn't Fomorian, how did he know of the prophecy?”

“Why, some Danaans study our history, just as we study yours.”

“Wait! He's Danaan?”

“Oh yes! And nephew to Prince-elector Donohue.”

I growled, and rapped á€ine's sound board; the earth cracked and groaned in front of us.

“Do me a favor, mage; tell Prince-elector Donohue and his slimy nephew that this goddess is pissed off. You tell 'em I'm comin' ... and Hell's coming with me!”

Oh yes I did! I Kurt Russelled 'em.

I was wrong; you way out diva Ldul.

Thanks á€ine, er, I think. Anyway, we'll let Mr. Stuck Up Prince-elector and toady Roth stew a bit, in their putrid juices.

Do you truly intend to punish them, Shauna? á€ine asked.

To be honest, I don't know. My mission on earth is to inspire, not be an avenging goddess. Yet, what Roth did to Darcy was hideously wrong. I will have to see what I feel when I track them down. They better pray I am in a forgiving mood.

You are the goddess, á€ine said.

Yes, I am.

And I must have taken on my goddess aspect again, because Farve bowed extra low.

“I shall convey your greeting with pleasure.”

“And then what do we do?” Ldul said. “We planned for generations to oppose your arrival. And now? What are we to do, O Daughter of Dagda?”

“Call me Shauna Deirbhile,” I said, with pride. “I am your harper, too. I will come among you, and play..."

Play what, á€ine asked. Have you ever heard Fomorian music?

"...er ...though I know not your songs. Please tell me it's not Death Metal.”

“Death Metal?” Farve's pure white eyebrow arched. “How bigoted of you to think so.”

“Well then, what do you like?”

“Not those stuffy old Danaan love ballads,” Farve groused. “Personally, I am a huge fan of the Dave Matthews Band.”

Ldul managed to look sheepish, if that was possible for the medusa-like sorceress. “I can't get me enough Béla Fleck.”

á€ine snorted, oh this should be interesting.
 

~o~O~o~


 
XIX. Epilogue - October 31, Samhain
 
 
To answer the 'what ifs' I raised at the beginning of this journey, I don't know if I had chosen Path B rather than A how different things would be. I do know now my true nature would have surfaced anyway; á€ine and I would have played, no matter what.

Leaving aside Cethlenn's prophecy that points to me becoming The Dagda's daughter instead of his son, I think …I think it misses the point to wonder if I could have avoided becoming a clumsy vulnerable 17 year old girl.

When you are not putting Boston into “Sleeping Beauty slumber” or wishing all a White Halloween with your blizzard or throwing down more lightning bolts than Zeus-

-I get your point, á€ine; I'm not helpless. Still, the question is not 'what if' but 'would I want it otherwise?’ Would I have wanted Darcy to die? For she would have. Or to see Sarah unhappy? I do see she and I could never have been as close as she is with Darcy.

Then why are you mopey, Moon Harper?

Rather than answering, I played another melancholy tune, as I sat beneath a massive oak tree near Tamsin's farm. I'd waved goodbye to 'Sean' and Darcy yesterday, watching them drive away to their amorous intimate lives.

Yeah, and I'd played a summer song, too, dispelling the snowstorm I'd conjured. Also, as a farewell song to the Fomorians, I even tossed out a harp version of Take Five, to show my new fans I played more than 'stuffy old love ballads.' But past that, all I strummed were songs of sorrow. Pitiful.

Yeah, Tamsin tried to cheer me, by saying what a wonderful gift I'd given her 'Sean'; true happiness. And by plying me with gallons of hot chocolate…

Yummmm, soooo good, á€ine moaned.

…but nothing could shake me from the funk I'd-

Honk Honk

A white van rolled to us, and Leolin and Chevonne hopped out. On the side of the van though, um …words escape me:
 

As I gawked, Leolin sat down on one side of me and Chevonne the other.

“Hi guys. Um, what's with the van?”

“We'll tell you in a moment,” my redheaded priestess said. “For now, we need our goddess to settle a bet.”

“Sure. If I can. What's the bet?”

“Which of us can shake you from your self-pitying swoon,” Leolin said.

“There's no need for this, I just-” Chevonne put a finger to my lips. “Age before beauty Leo; you go first.”

The former knight/now Moon Harper priest, straightened his golden hair, took me in his arms, leaned me down to the ground, and kissed me.

…and kissed me.

…and kissed me.

“I …I …I…”

I want some of that candy, á€ine purred. Gimme gimme gimme!

It took a moment to breathe again and open my eyes. When I did, I was greeted by the smuggest look on Leolin's face.

“Beat that, priestess!”

Chevonne didn't look worried. She shooed Leolin aside and hovered over me.

“Shauna?” she crooned, "you remember our kiss in Boston don't you?”

After I nodded, she bent close to my ear and whispered. “You loved it, didn't you? You want some more?”

I truly did! I even tried to pucker my lips in what I hoped was a sexy look, though I imagined it didn't quite hit the mark:
 

 
Chevonne giggled, then pressed her red lips to mine, exploring my mouth with her tongue; my entire body vibrated in response. I felt something squeeze one of my furry boots.

“Her toes are curled, dammit. You win, priestess,” Leolin growled. “This round. Though in the next -where I shall please her with that which you lack- I shall triumph.”

Wait! Was he talking sex? With me? Gross!

Never fear, my goddess. I will save you! á€ine said. When he tries, we shall switch, because …I want him.

That was far too weird a thought for me to begin to process it; I propped up on my elbows and shook my head to focus.

Chevonne's face had softened in concern and Leolin stroked my hair. Even á€ine vibrated by my side. What's up, hey?

When I asked them, a bit of my goddess voice crept in. “You. You three. What is this about?”

“You are not alone, Shauna Deirbhile,” Chevonne said.

“You shall never know loneliness again, goddess,” Leolin added.

“Yeah, I get I'm your goddess, so it's your duty to-”

“-You don't get it!” Chevonne said. “We love you!”

“But why? In this body, I'm an awkward teenage girl, a-”

“-bratty girl, who is also most pretty,” Leolin said.

“Learning is part of the fun, Moon Harper,” Chevonne said, “and we will have such fun teaching you. Think of the epic songs that will come from it.”

Face it Shauna, we are family, á€ine said.

“And the van? What happened to your Charger?”

“The van is my Charger. We converted her for you.”

“But why a van?” I said. I kind of liked the cool muscle car.

“Because we are going on tour, sweetie," Chevonne said. "Danu sent you here for this, correct?”

To sing to souls, yes! To wake them! To fill them with wonder. With music.

My priest and priestess were right! I was all action now; I hopped to my feet.

“Let's get going.”

About damned time! á€ine said.
 

~o~O~o~


 
And so we four hit the road. Yeah, I was still sad about losing Sarah, but á€ine was right; we were family, albeit a strange one.

Yet, I loved and was loved in return. In the end, what more is there?

So listen up, world; look for flyers announcing harpist Shauna Deirbhile is coming soon, to a bar, restaurant or small venue near you.

Keep an eye out for us; you might see an inhumanly handsome and golden haired man taking your money for a ticket, an á¼ber hot redhead singing otherworldly backup vocals, and a geeky dark-haired lass with a harp.

Or, you might see a goddess with a mighty instrument of legend in her hand and a powerful priestess and priest by her side.

Either way, we'll give you the best damn show we can. You'll leave feeling so much better, I guarantee it.

And if you can't find us playing near you, don't fret; you can still catch á€ine and me gigging. One night …no, make it this night, walk outside, gaze up at the stars and moon…

and listen.
 
 

 
 
 
the end.

up
207 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Armond

This is a great conclusion to a great story.

Ohhhh.

What can I say about this story?

Mythic? High Fantasy? Adventure?

All those. It also encompassed loss, despair, fear, then moved to learning, love, joy, and knowing that things were as they should be.

Umm, great story? Nope, this was a wonderful story.

And thanks for the beautiful music that went with it.

Maggie

Sweet!

Sweet!

"Good Story" Seems So Inadequate...

This was amazing. When it intended to, this tale got as powerful, I think, as anything I've read in my five years on the site. Yet there was enough comic relief, especially in the exchanges between Shauna and Àine, to prevent it from being too intense.

Thanks very much for posting this.

Eric

Yum!

They are all so much fun! :D

And, apparently, Aine has gotten her head screwed on teenage! :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

The best...

I've read for a long time. Thank you for writing such a wonderful tale.

Awesome tale

I don't know how to describe this wonderful story, I simply love it.

In the end, I think the soul weakening stuff is kind of strange. I mean sure people need to believe less in magic if they can do more without. I guess it's kind of sad for the Danaan, but it's not like all creativity dies. Actually I think the opposite happens in the age of internet. Would you have written this story without the readers here?

Btw. why did Aine not talk to Sean and Shauna before. I mean she can do that, but she didn't for some reason. Why didn't she explain the harp string magic thing to shauna before? That confuses me a bit... Shauna asked that a few times, but Aine never really explained.

I'm a bit intrigued in Danus assesment that it would have been a good idea to switch the dagda. Perhaps Dagdette and Rhys will be more responsible parents than Dagda and Rhiannon...

The only thing I was a bit disappointed about was that Sara and the new Sean never realised what happened. I wished they wouldn't be let out like this.

Thank you for writing this wonderfull awesome story, a definite favourite of mine.
*hugs*

Beyogi

Oh but WOW!

This is my second time reading this and darn it, you brought tears to my eyes again. I did see and understand why some are dissatisfied with what happened to Sean (Darcy) and Sarah. It seems they were able to stay together, but were also left in the dark. First this is told in the first person, and we don't know all the details of what happened. Second, would that knowledge truly help them? Sarah is firmly grounded in the 'real' world and certainly Sean's memories would tell Darcy that he/she was too.

I did hope to see Tamsin's thoughts about this, but again limits of first person POV.

As for those folks in Boston, pissing off Goddesses is generally a very bad policy.

One of my favorite tales of all time! If the story wasn't amazing enough you had to add a wonderful selection of music and art. That last picture of Shauna and Aine playing among the stars is great!

I can hardly wait to see what you come up with next.
Hugs!
Grover

I could say volumes but will keep it short

VERY excellent tale.

I like how the Formors and the Danaanu were as Shauna's, well Darcy's mom, said; not good vs evil but far more complex.

That one of the high muckity mucks of the Boston group and his nephew would even consider killing the Dagda's daughter is proof they are far divorced from their roots and need magic back in their lives OR to lose it all and their wealth and learn just to *be*again, without their glamour and trickery to aid them. Then maybe they can regain who they were. If even Farve -- snicker -- and that witch could see the light... there is hope.

I have mixed feelings on Sean/Darcy and Sarah. The truth will set you free is not always true but in principle it is. I suspect they could have survived the truth and Darcy would have asked to be male and Sean's *stand-in* again but thus goes the way of life and love. That is the bitter sweet of it, IE the things that were lost, the things that were gained. the betrayals, misunderstandings, the new loyalties and loves.

But then as Shauna IS a full blown goddess maybe she can quietly grant then a boon of long healthy, lucky lives with many fine health children and maybe the truth in the afterlife if it can't be done now. Though with the taint gone will Sean formerly Darcy have memories of who he once was, the nice but violated girl? That Sarah noticed Sean was quite different after their break tells me she could accept and embrace the truth and Sean/Darcy was a sorceress by birth and in-training. Oh well. But then these stories of magic have an internal logic if they are to be believable. Would Sean/Sarahs' love work logically after such a revelation of the truth without it seeming Dux ex machina or whatever that phrase is?

And Aine' is a saucy minx. Hum, can a magic harp have children?

Look forward to your completing Duty or whatever is next.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Deus ex machina

Deus ex machina wouldn't be a problem here... I mean Shauna is a goddess. Using her power to save darcy from oblivion but not destroying the new Sean in the process would be a miracle, but that is what gods are for.

It was good this way too. I guess the theme of the story with its fluent good and bad, wouldn't be achieved with an all happy end.

Yes and no Grover

As Darcy as Sean has all of Sean's memories and hers were suppressed to avoid the taint, could his memories of his childhood awaken now? Might the spell to suppress her memories begin to fail now that it's purpose no longer exists? Between her sorceress/Danaau background and his memoires of Aine' as a girl playing with him in that strange place and of his/her *mother* and all, she should have no trouble believing. Could she be happy as a 20 something man knowing she was a 17 year old girl and had been happy until her betrayal? Can't say.

And Sarah was far more perceptive and decent that Sean/Shauna first thought. Even as a plain old human I think she would get it. But would that break or enhance their love?

I whole heartedly agree the Boston's are up shit creek without a paddle, at least one or both of their top leaders and the bastard boy. But they are lucky Shauna is not a killer but she will make them sweat... a lot.

But then only our author knows for sure. The meanie!

-- GRIN --

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Moon Harper - Pt 4

Can't go wrong reading Moon Harper

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I know you keep hearing wonderful things

but you so, so deserve them.

YOU WRITE ART!

These four parts were amongst some of the best things I've read. Throw in the images and the Links and the music...

I could say so much more but.
*Stands and applauds.*

Bailey Summers

Just a bit of a bitter ending

... well more than a little, knowing your love was not meant to be your love. Sadly Darcy's human level persona is gone but her soul is happy. Essentially there are two Seans in place up to the point where the two diverge. With regard to their mother and daughter reunion, what can I say? *sniffle*.

Being a deity would have complicated his relationship with Sarah anyway. With her priest and priestess she has only a small following at least on the we know you are a Goddess and we worship you side.

Hmmm, on that end, I wonder for what kind of audience would it demand that she show her goddess aspect. Certainly not for normal humans. For the Danaans and the Formors who are still doubters maybe?

I would have love to have seen a brief vignette of what happen to Donohue and Roth? What would be a suitable punishment, yeh?

In all though I love that conclusion and have greatly enjoyed the entire series.

Kim

Epic!

Congratulations! This is a tale that if I did not know better I would have thought I was reading something by Charles De Lint, one of my favorite authors, it has all his signature aspects and I'd easily put it up shoulder to shoulder with any of his tales on my shelf.
Thank you for a great read!

I'm NOT big on words

NoraAdrienne's picture

THIS STORY TOTALLY ROCKED ME !!!! I loved it.

Wow!

Goosebumps and happy tears...
Thank you so much!

Martina

Stands and Applauds

*Grover stands and applauds with Baily while holding up 'rabbit' fingers behind John of W.* :)
Hugs!
Grover

Quick thanks and question.

Big thank you to everyone. Normally I like to respond to each commentor -I will still try to do this later- but I currently do not have computer access to BC and I'm writing this from my Kindle (which is not a data entry friendly device).

Anyway, thanks for the great comments, I appreciate them very much.

Many of you have mentioned the fate of Roth as a loose end, because what he did to Darcy was horrific. Kimmie mentioned maybe a vignette, which I think is a great idea.

Assuming Shauna does punish him, what should that punishment be? Remember, our new goddess has several options available: she can bring down the lightning, she can play a song to fill Roth with regret, or she can alter his 'being' by changing his unique vibration ...to something else.

So what's everyone think? What should Roth's punishment be?

I don't think a song of

I don't think a song of regret will do much good here. If he was able to rationalise something horrible like the curse he put on darcy, he might do so again, after the magic fades.
Killing him might be an option, on the other hand she's a goddess, so that would be like admitting personal failure... Giving the soul to grandma, so she can sort it out.
Altering his beeing - eww, eww, eww. I can't stand identity death, and what good would it do? That is no punishment, that is even worse than killing him. It erases one soul and creates another one, which is nothing but a better puppet and has to live with the fact it is made out of goddess aproved recycling material. That might leave the new him with a constant feeling of inferiority. And it would be utterly lame of shauna to do this imho.

In the end he did the same thing a atheistic murderer does. Well, I guess he's the male equivalent of a black widow. A poison murderer who wanted to kill a person that loved him. The punishment should be appropriate.

The witches have this rule of three thingy... I think it is a good way to prevent people from doing bad stuff with their magic, because punishment will come for sure. They know exactly what will happen. But it is nothing you can use to punish criminals. I think he should get the same thing he did to darcy. Shauna should seduce him, betray him and giving him that formir curse. So he can experience the consequences at his own body and soul.
Since his environment was probably partially at fault, he might be age regressed, given to a loving family and geased so that he can't act out of his or her :D age group. A nice gender bender would be optional ^^

I hope you liked my suggestions,
*hugs*
Beyogi

Truly Excellent!

I love it! Shauna is a great character, and while I love the story, I mourn for it's ending. So wonderful!

Wren

Truly Excellent!

I love it! Shauna is a great character, and while I love the story, I mourn for it's ending. So wonderful!

Wren

It so good, that I really

It so good, that I really would not mind to see more mischief of dreadful duo - Shauna and Ainu. That was one of heavenly story here! XD

Beautiful

I really liked this story, it had everything I like and more. I do have a question though - If Sean was Rhiannon and Dagda's chld, what is Darcy? I mean physically Shauna is Tamsin's daughter so does that mean that Darcy-in-Sean is partly divine also? or is divinity purely a function of The Soul?

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

You gave me a tooth cavity!

The ending is so sweet that it gave me a tooth cavity. Maybe it's just because I'm a cynic that something like this can deal extra bonus damage to me.

what an ending!

going on a world tour, bringing music and joy wherever she goes .... a good ending.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

this was a wonderfull story,

this was a wonderfull story, and a very beautifull ending too!

grtz & hugs,

Sarah xxx

I could see this turn into a movie :p

Fantastic

PeterT

Fantastic...

...and a beautiful ending to a beautiful tale.
You've created a bewitching tapestry, effortlessly weaving contemporary characters with the stuff of mythology.

Thankyou for sharing and I'll be keeping an eye out for your writing in future. :-)

The Gods and Godesses would be proud!

Hon, you have a gift that parallels the music of Shauna herself!

May you always shine within that gift!

and thank you for the wonderful tale!

foxxe_bc.jpg
>> Foxxe Wilder >>

Magical

terrynaut's picture

This is a wonderful tale, well-told.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Very Entertaining

I waited until the entire story was posted before I started reading it because I knew I'd want to be able to find out how it ends once I started reading. I really enjoyed it. Armond, thanks for sharing.

Holy Cow!!

Words like great, inspiring, amazing, incredible and immensely satisfying only serve to damn this story with faint praise.

This could, imho, EASILY be turned into a movie that would rival anything out there today.

I stand humbled by a true wordsmith. A storyteller whose words become reality for those who choose to believe.

Thank you is much too faint a praise but it's all I have to offer.

THANK YOU Armond.

Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Great

Tas's picture

Just like your other stories, this one is amazing. Looks like I'll be reading the rest of your stories before I do anything else :)

-Tas

(Ps, some of your links are broken (most notably the final one), and a lot of the special characters were reformatted at some point as well, just so ya know)

Wonderful

This is certainly a wonderful tale. I love this genre more than anything. I hope Shauna will get used to being a girl/goddess now.

Thanks Armond

Joanna