A Change in My Life’ ~ Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

A Change in my Life.

Chapter 1 A new friendship

By

Julie D Cole

My name is Sally Crewe and I am 28 years old and until recently I lived with two friends in a shared apartment close to the university that I’d graduated from in the North of England. I’m more than 200 miles from home in the South of England and don’t have much contact with my family these days since my parents were divorced. Both have found new partners and I’ve no brothers and sisters and only one cousin who lives in Scotland at the moment.

My friend is called Jessica and I felt that was very lucky to have access to this wonderful three bedroom apartment with lots of space and a shared kitchen and lounge and two bathrooms. She told Mary Jo and I, who was the other resident that it was owned by her family but from what I understood from the lease agreement that we had to sign the owner was some sort of trust fund called Harper Friends and Family.

Whilst I refer to Jessica as my friend she is more of an ex friend really because recently we argued and she virtually kicked me out of the apartment by making my life miserable and this argument happened because of her jealousy because I became best friends with one of her colleagues from work called Chrissy.

When I first met Chrissy I knew her as Chris and in fact I wasn’t sure about her at the time because she was dressed in boys clothes. I have to admit that Chrissy is a boy but he is more like a girl and I’ve got to know him more he’s started dressing full time as a girl and he did expect this to upset me but it didn’t.

I never did anything wrong to Jessica, as far as I’m aware, but I know that she didn’t like me to spend so much time with Chrissy but she’d introduced us and arranged us to share a room together on a Hen night break that we went on together with some other friends.

Chrissy stepped in for one of my friends who had to cancel and was encouraged to join us by Jessica who insisted that she spent the whole weekend as Chrissy rather than Chris. He was very nervous but he looked so sweet that I helped him and for me it was a relief to find a quiet and polite boy rather than the pig who’d been my boyfriend.

I did choose to leave rather than argue or fight with Jessica. She is a strange character and since Mary Jo for a longer time, since they were at school together, she has learned to put up with her mood swings and mad moments.

I could just about afford to rent this apartment and it was far superior than the digs I’d rented before. I had a lot more space and we had a laundry room so that saved cleaning bills and lost time visiting the local launderette.

I work as a research assistant with a regional newspaper that is an OK job but I can’t see me doing it for the rest of my life. I’d often dreamed of meeting someone, falling in love and having 2 children, a girl to spoil and a boy who’d be the image of his father.

This led me to have a few relationships, the last of which was finished by me due to my boyfriends’ aggressive nature, his sexual demands and mainly because he would hit me whenever we argued or if he’d been drinking or lost his temper.

When I told him that I didn’t want to see him anymore he beat me so badly that I had to have sick leave for a week to wait for the swellings to go down. I daren’t report him to the police although I did go right to the police station door before I turned back.

My job is not too demanding but it’s a bit boring really and I wish I had more confidence in interviews so that I could find a long term job before I’m 30 years of age. Now my option of finding a husband was far less attractive since I don’t think I could ever trust a man again.

Well not until I met Chrissy. He is different. He is more she than he and I feel safe with him/her. She is attractive and funny and makes me feel very special. In the short time that I’ve known her I have become her close friend and I’ve wondered why we were thrown together and if she or he has the same feeling for me as I have for her.

I have to stop myself from getting too attached even though I’d love to think we could be friends forever. I’ve wondered if I had such feelings towards other friends but I haven’t. I don’t feel the same about anybody else except Chrissy, boy or girl.

As we share our feelings and chat about her/his daily experiences in crossing over lifestyles she makes my heart flutter and sometimes I want to hug and kiss her. I’ve wondered a lot about myself and if I’m more comfortable with Chrissy as a woman or if I love him as a man who dresses and acts like a woman.

When we sleep together I want to hold him and make love to him and for her to make love to me. Am I losing it? I just don’t know if this is because of my bad experience or if I’ve really found my soul mate and a partner for life.

Chrissy is quite beautiful and I thought this too when I first met her as Chris when I wasn’t sure if she was a girlfriend or a boyfriend of Jessicas. I had looked at her a few times and he looked at me too and smiled. Since we became friends I am encouraging her to grow her hair a little bit longer and I’d love to brush and style it for her.

As a man she looked more like a butch girlfriend of Jessica but now with my help and the help of her sister Julie she looks completely feminine and much moreso than he/she believes. I am so proud of her.

With each day her skin has become softer and she is aleady much slimmer and I tell her she is slimmer than me.

We had a fantastic weekend together in Birmingham on the Hen night, even though we had some trouble at a nightclub that has blown over thankfully. My regret was only that she was attracted to a boy who approached her and who tried to fix me up with his friend.

For a while I was worried that she would be found out and that she’d get beaten up too so I kept a close contact to be there if I was needed. It turned out this boy was in fact uncertain about his own sexual preferences and I’m still sure that he is gay but I have never felt that Chrissy was.

To me Chrissy is a girl and if anything it’s me that is assumed to be gay and not him because people around us have always assumed Chrissy to be female and not male. It is so strange but I really don’t care what people think about me just now I just want Chrissy and I want her to want me.

Chrissy had worked with Jessica and was being trained to take over the department until there was a senior management change and the new boss side lined the Manager and promoted Jessica above Chris into the position. He just accepted it and his life was a misery for a while until the Birmingham weekend.

Jessica was quite proud of her promotion and she wouldn’t stop bragging about it wherever we went and she even gloated about the way she’d demoted her opponent for the job after her promotion was confirmed. He was made to carry out more trivial duties and she was determined to make him resign.

But it didn’t work out like that and now upon reflection I feel sometimes that the whole situation was stage managed because the new boss took Chrissy under her wing and since that time Chris has virtually disappeared. Jessica hasn’t been too comfortable about this but I just don’t think she could see what was going on or what this boss who was a strong woman called Kate was doing.

My worry is that Chrissy likes Kate and Kate likes Chrissy. When they spend so much time together at work it makes our time together insignificant so already I feel they know each other very well. Kate knows that Chrissy was a man and is pushing him/her towards making a decision to make the change permanent.

I do get very jealous but the worst thing I could do is complain and risk throwing them together like Jessica has done to Chrissy and I. So what does Chrissy want and what do I want?

To be continued….

up
182 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I feel a lack of empathy

I feel a lack of empathy for sally. She seems to be one of the women who always choose the biggest ashole for a boyfriend and then complain when he behaves like a bully. Ugh, you wanted a bully so you got one.

Crissy seems to go through girlfriends as other people change their toiletpaper rolls. I can't really simpatisize with people who see their aquaintances as things to be used or steps on the social ladder.

This seems to be a soap opera in literature form at the moment. I hope it'll get better but the way your characters treat each other I kind of doubt it.
I guess this type of story is not what I really like, so don't take this comment to hard.

Thank you for writing though,

Beyogi

All comments are welcome

Jules
I can fully understand your comments and maybe you won't see the response since you are unlikely to return.
I only write from my heart and lickily it gets published. Even if it's a soap it is a nice feeling to see people read what I wrote and then come back for more.
I am not a professional writer so I am not put off. I can't say I get a lot of hits out of the 16 million on this site but yours is the first negative one so far so I had a good run.
Thanks for reading though and for taking the time to give your feedback since we none of us will improve if we can't take criticism.
Maybe your taste will change since I hated soaps too twenty years ago.
Julie

Jules

Nice to see another point of view.

A really interesting side of Sally; revealing a jealous and insecure side that is borne out by the history you dilienated in the first series. She's very human and real; not at all like a soap opera. Good for you!


Happy to know you. Belle

I just want her to want me...

Andrea Lena's picture

...oh gosh, Jules...as if i didn't cry enough. New vantage point from which to sit out of the way and watch the story unfold. Thank you!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

So we get a view of your big serial from another character's

perspective.

We kind of know where this is going from Chrissy's perspective, Maybe this will fill in some of the unaswered questions in that tale.

Interesting.

Jessica is still an enigma.

Where does Kate come into it?

Does Sally see her/him as Chrissy, Chris or both? Which does she love or both? Remember though Chrissy seems heading into the HRT/SRS path, she/he still has doubts. Changing simply because people treat you better thus life is nicer is not enough reason to take such a drastic change in one's life, IMHO. What does she or he feel in their heart? What is their perception of who they are and not that of what others think that they are. How did Chriss feel about his/her inner identity as a child, as a young adult BEFORE all the crazyness at work?

We have had told here at BC of regrets some have had after undergoing full HRT/SRS. I worry our heroine is falling into that trap. Sally's perspective on things may prove illuminating.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I came back :D

Well... if I write such a comment i'm likely to come back ;)

I wasn't too sure if this really was intended as a soap, or if it was a fluke. It's not that I have a problem with your writing or something, I just severly dislike soaps :)

I guess part of the problem was that when I visited my aunt for two weeks she always had her soaps running on tv during dinner. I just wanted to eat in peace, and there were always people arguing about trivial and stupid stuff in the backround :(
Since then I tend to avoid soaps for the peace of my mind.

Thank you for writing though, I guess you can't satisfy everyone. In this case it's me ^^

*hugs*
Beyogi

Are We Reading a Different Series?

Sally only said that her last boyfriend was abusive. She didn't discuss any of her other previous relationships.

I don't understand your comment about Chrissy going through friends. Can you provide examples?

I don't see this as a soap. In soaps the main characters tend to not learn from their mistakes and continue to make the same ones over and over again. Chrissy is trying to figure out what is and has gone on and how it relates to her so that she can make intelligent decisions about her future. The author is using small cliffs to maintain interest like a lot of series do.

A Change in My Life’ ~ Chapter 1

Sounds like a soap opera.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

A new story yum..

I just had the pleasure of reading the beginning of a good story that I will follow and return to follow the progress. Keep the faith you have the skill and may the muse be with you.
Misha
The only bad question is the one not asked.

The only bad question is the one not asked.

I liked this

it's a good set up for a bigger story. I think a chapter from Chrissy would be a nice way of getting things going. Sally's abusive boyfriend though might have seemed an absolute gem at first, they often do. A lot of abusers can really shine themselves up because they know that they're really assholes. I actually found this to be pretty good and reminded me of a diary entry or her blog even more that a soap. You didn't really have any dialog scenes and such; so this didn't feel like and ongoing event but a recollection, Which is still perfectly fine and works well. It also covered a lot of ground event wise which seems like Sally's writing about something that happened. Oh and I loved her last name, I love Crewe, you don't see that too much in my neck of the woods.

Keep up the good work:)

Bailey Summers

We already have 63 chapters

We already have 63 chapters from Chrissy's POV (it's called "At Last A Life").

I found the writing of this kind of stilted, but I guess that's the diary-like format.

I'm with you Bailey

I thought it was fine, sort of an introduction as to where Sally sits at this moment in her life.

Now for the real meat thanks Julie.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Nice perspective

From some of the earlier comments, it appears some haven't realised this is a spin-off from "At Last 'A Life'" - and although this can be read as a stand-alone tale, the events do tie in to those within ALAL, so may make more sense in that context (the background to the Trust Fund is practically a story in itself!).

It'll be interesting to see what happens in future chapters - this one felt like a stream-of-consciousness intro from Sally about her life and Chrissy. As ever when someone's describing a former male colleague undergoing transition, pronoun confusion can arise, but I think Sally got her point across admirably.

IMHO, Sally doesn't "chop and change" friends at whim, but (at this stage) is reluctant to get too attached to Chrissy because she doesn't want to deal with the emotional trauma - remember, her former flat-mate Jessica used to be a friend but suddenly changed tune and got very vindictive; while her former boyfriend beat her up.

I could say more, but I'll restrain myself lest I give away spoilers for those that haven't read ALAL yet :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

WONDERFUL!!! Chris & Sally redux...

Ole Ulfson's picture

If this is only half as good as "At Last a Life" it will be a delight and I can hope it will advance their story.

I was just looking through Julie's story list and found this gift.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!