Chasing Amy

Printer-friendly version

This little piece was 'inspired' by the movie of the same name. Actually I'm not really sure inspired is the word I'm looking for as I couldn't finish watching it. Written several years ago I still think it's one of my best little short stories along with Heat Wave


It was time to say good-bye. I'd known for a long time that this day was coming but now that it was here I still wanted to reach out and say 'STOP!' But I loved her too much to deny her this happiness.

"You know you don't have to go, that there's always a place in my heart for you Andy."

She was right. She was always right but I knew that she had to be free of all but the memories. Besides there was the new girl in her life. Karen was everything you could want in a friend and lover. I loved her too but Amy truly made her happy.

And that's why they had taken this final trip together to far off Asia. To the other side of the world, to say good-bye. They'd lolled on the beaches and shopped 'til they dropped and I was happy for them. Yet the moment had come when I had to leave Amy, to let her get on with her life with Karen.

Still I couldn't help but remember the life we'd had together. It seems like we'd been together since birth. She was always around, nagging me to play. To keep her happy I'd sneak off and play 'house' with her or Barbies. Even if she dressed my G.I. Joe up in the most outlandish outfits.

As we grew older she was more insistent and charmed me into many episodes that got me in hot water but I always protected her. I loved her, we were soul-mates.

Even when the changes hit and I could no longer deny what she was I still loved her and endured them with her. There were the painful times when she would cry herself to sleep and I'd be there to steady her despite the hurt I was feeling.

Then came the day when we parted ways, her doctor had said that she needed to put me behind her and move forward. I could feel the regret down to my bones. Despite that I kept an eye on her and tried to protect her when she'd let me.

Then she met Karen and it all fell into place for her. She loved and was loved and I knew it was finally over for us.

And that brought us to today, The moment when I said my final good-bye to Amy. Despite everything I smiled . . .

~o~O~o~

"Amy, wake up Amy," Karen's voice pierced the fog surrounding me.

"Is it over?"

"Yes, dear," the smiling face of Dr. Preecha loomed above me, "And it went very well!"

I smiled and thanked Andy for in my heart for everything that had got me to this moment. I would remember him for he had given me the greatest gift he could give me, himself!

up
148 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Chasing Amy

Like the twist.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Good Story!

Well written! I was feeling sad at first, but then...

Wren

Very good!

Athena N's picture

I'm still feeling sad, but it's a happy kind of sad.

Read It Before.

Fell for it again. (crummy memory)

Very very sweet! Thank you.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Different and Cute

BarbieLee's picture

Certainly an unusual way of telling the story so many have struggled with in life.
Very nicely done.
always
Barb

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl