Rebirth Part 18 -The Conclusion

Printer-friendly version

--SEPARATOR--

Rebirth Part 18 - The Conclusion
By Cain129

 

Thanks To Stanman63 For Editing!

 

Synopsis:Sarah and Steve make there move to take down the super soldier program and all is going well until the unthinkable happens, Steve turns on Sarah leaving her with only one choice. She draws her gun and has no choice but to shoot her friend, leaving her with two choices; save her friend Steve or take down the program herself. What will be her choice, saving Steve or the destruction of the program?

--SEPARATOR--

Chapter 41

[-][+][-]

I was leaning over Steve, asking him why he turned on me, but there was no sign of the man that I had known. I knew the answer; Anna had got to him and did something to him. The man that I knew was still there, somewhere, buried deep inside. There was no way that I could break his programming and get the answers I needed. Well, there was always my nanites, but they were sitting in a fridge back at the cottage.

The only real thing that I knew was that Steve would want me to carry out the mission; he hated these people as much as I did, but without his help, I had to do it alone. This wasn’t going to be easy. I hated doing what I had to do next, Steve was still my friend and what happened wasn’t his fault, but I couldn’t risk him coming after me.

I needed time to finish what the two of us had started. I used Steve’s handcuffs to bind his hands behind his back then dragged him into a closet that was inside the room and took some duck tape and placed it over his mouth, “Sorry Steve but the mission has to come first.”

[-][+][-]

I was left with another problem, now, the information Steve gave me was a trap. I suspected that I was still in the right building because Anna wanted me here for a reason. I needed to find the location of her ab and the buildings server. This meant a three prong attack. First, I needed to take out the phones so that the server didn’t up load the files to another location, then take out the server and Lab at the same time. This was going too take some ingenuity.

I went through Steve’s knapsack and found that the explosives were still there along with his tools, so I knew that he was planning on carrying out the mission, but his programming took over before he was able to.

I took everything that I would need and transferred it to my knapsack, then found a map inside of the bag which showed the server room. I assumed that it was correct. I looked over at Steve, “I promise that I will be back for you, just hang in there.”

Looking at the map, I knew the server and phone hook ups were in the basement, which meant that I had to go back downstairs. So, I grabbed my knapsack and placed it on my back and started making my way back to the stairs. I left the camera disabled because I knew that I would have to come back for Steve, later, provided I made it out of here alive.

After arriving on the second floor, I had to make my way down along hallway to get to another set of stairs which would lead me to the basement. As I made my way down, I saw that there were various labs, I used the key card that I had taken off the guard and opened the door.

I had an idea that might just make my job a little easier. I went over to one of the computers and used the password that I had used to break into Anna’s laptop, hoping that she hadn’t bother changing it yet. It worked and I was able to pull up the buildings blueprints and now had the location of her lab, it was on the 4th floor. I tried to gain access to her files, but when I receive a message stating that the files were not available over the network I knew that I had to take care of them inside of her lab.

I now had a choice of which direction to go first, and decided that I would go to the basement, first. Along the way, I heard someone come up behind me and yell. "STOP!"

I slowly turned around, he had his gun pointed at me, with his other hand reaching for his radio. I had to think fast, if he got on the radio it wouldn’t be long before everyone knew that I was here. I looked over at him and thought about the movie 'Star Wars' and smiled, ”You don’t want to call anyone do you?”

He looked over at me in almost a blank state, ”I don’t want too call anyone,” he said.

I smiled, ”You didn’t see me, you are tired go to the nearest room and take a long nap.”

The guard started to yawn, then placed his gun back into his holster then walked into another room and closed the door behind him. I could only assume my Jedi mind tricks were still working, but I didn’t stick around to give him a chance to come back to his senses. I made it too the stairs quickly. The basement was the most heavily defended and I soon found myself surrounded as entered the basement.

I could only assume this was where security had their main office. I was left with one choice. I drew my weapon and started shooting, took out three of the guards, leaving four other for me too deal with. By this time, they were firing back at me. I ran faster then I ever have and managed to get behind a counter that provided a little more cover.

I looked around the room, then looked eyes on one of the guards and did something that I had never done before. Some how, I was able to scan his memories, he had a daughter, I knew her name and could even picture her in my mind.

It was a long shot, but I projected the image of his daughter in his mind so that when he saw me, he would see his daughter. Then after I sent the command, I cried out, ”Daddy help me!”

Before the other guards knew what hit them they were fired on by one of there own that believed that he was protecting his daughter. In the end, there was just me and the guard who thought that I was his daughter, I looked over at him, ”Go back to sleep, Daddy, you are having a bad dream.” With that said, he slowly leaned against the wall, dropped into a sitting position and fell asleep.

It was at that moment that I noticed the blood that was coming out of my side, I had been shot and it looked pretty bad. I quickly found a place where I could take care of it. I took out a bandage from my knapsack and covered the cut, then took an elastic wrap and wrapped it around my side tightly to keep from bleeding out. I knew in time that my nanites would take care of it for me, but I was in danger for the mean while.

One thing for sure, I knew that I had to be close to the server. I followed the map and found my first location, it was where the phone lines came into the building. I reached into my bag and took out the explosives and placed them inside of the junction box and set the timer for 35 minutes, I figured that would give me the time to take care of the other two locations and get back to Steve.

The server room was just down the hall and only it only took me a few minutes before I was inside. I reached into my bag and took out a screw driver and used it to open up the box that held all the hard drives, place the bomb inside and set the timer based on my watch which the time was set according to the first bomb. I then sealed back up the casing and made my way back to the stairs.

It took me close to 15 minutes before I made it to the fourth floor. Her lab was in an area that was hard to get to unless you took the elevator straight there. I didn’t dare take it because was monitored by cameras at all times and since she worked with the military, chances were that there was someone watching it. So, I found myself outside of the door to the fourth floor with a now useless key card.

I knew that there was only one way that I was getting past that door and just hoped that no one was near as I placed a small amount of C4 over the lock, then ran the fuse and took cover as the C4 exploded. I then ran over and pushed the door open and turned part way in and took a look and saw a soldier running towards me. I fired, aiming for his head, knowing that any other place would be covered with Kevlar armor. When Steve told me to do this, I'd hoped that I would never have to do it, but I was committed to it now. I picked up the soldiers ak47, it would be better then my Glock for what needed to be done next.

[-][+][-]


Chapter 42

[-][+][-]

It wasn’t long before the commotion brought more soldiers, but I found a spot where I was pretty safe. As they came running into view, I threw a flash grenade into the middle of them. I was a safe distance when it went off and opened fire with the AK47. When I finished, there was no one left standing.

I made my way past their bodies and down the hallway to the lab there were two guards waiting for me. I kept my distance and made sure that they didn’t see me, then sent one of the guards a signal for him to shot the other and then himself. The guard did as he was told and opened fire on the other one then, took his own life.

It was sick and sadistic, but it was also my only choice. I had wasted enough time just trying to get to the lab. The way to the lab was now clear. When I made it inside, I realized that I had just walked into a trap because before me was Anna and another woman.

[-][+][-]

I looked over at Anna then the other woman, “I thought that I took care of you Anna?”

“You took care of me alright, Sarah. But you didn’t consider that those nanites inside you could also heal me! Thanks to my daughter, Carol, I am better then I have ever been and more then a match for you!”

“So, I take it that you are the one responsible for Steve?” I asked

"Yes, it was really quiet easy. All I needed to do was inject him with my new little toys and he was quiet accommodating, but I really didn’t expect him to lose. I guess he trained you well. It’s a shame that I have to terminate you."

"Fat chance, bitch!"

"I can see after today you have a lot of potential, but I can always make new toys. This time I can transfer your knowledge too the new recruits and thanks to you my dear, I have a whole army of men to choose from inside of this building."

I looked over at Anna and couldn’t believe what she had just said, I knew that there was no way that I could let her leave this room alive. She was too dangerous, but I had to fight the both of them and Anna was now a super soldier. I had no idea what to think when it came to her daughter Carol, but when the two of them started to come at me I knew that I would have to fight the two of them together.

[-][+][-]

Meanwhile, inside another room on the third floor, a man wakes up and hearing a girl’s voice, He looks around the room but no one is there.

“Wake up Steve, Sarah needs you, she will die without you, and I can’t help her anymore I have done everything that I can. Please, Steve, fight the nanites! They will listen!”

Steve slowly pushes himself up and finds his hand are cuffed behind his back, he slowly works them under his legs and brings them to the front, then he digs inside his boot an pulls out the extra key and frees himself.

“Who are you?" asked Steve to the unseen voice.

“I am the real Sarah Tanner. Now go! She is on the fourth floor fighting Anna and Carol."

Steve didn’t understand what was happening, but knew that he would question Sarah, later. But for now, he had to find a way to get to her and just hoped she could hold out till he could get there.

As Steve made his way through the building, he found bodies everywhere, Sarah had been an excellent student and he was proud of her. She was like a daughter to him, now, at least that is how he felt about her.

The good thing about having all these dead bodies lying around meant that Steve didn’t have to fight anyone and it made it easy for him to get to where Sarah was.

When he finely arrived he could see that she was in trouble and when he came through the door Anna smiled and said, ”And now it’s three on one.”

“No Anna, I am not here to help you,” Steve said as he went right for Carol.

Sarah smiled, “It’s nice to have you back, Steve, but how?”

“Let’s just say you have some pretty powerful friends”, Steve said as he punched Carol into the wall.

Myself, I was still busy fighting off, Anna’s attack, and thew a roundhouse kick that knocked her onto her ass. Then took off my knapsack and quickly threw it to Steve who had just knocked out Carol, “Take care of the computer Steve, I am kind of busy at the moment,”

He caught the bag and started placing the explosives. Anna came running at me and I used a move that Steve had taught me and flipped her so she went flying into the air and went head first into the concrete wall.

I came up behind her and grabbed her by the head and start pounding her face into the wall then locked her into a head lock and twisted till I heard a snap. It was finely over.

I looked at the watch we had 5 minutes and turned to Steve, “We need to go now!!!”

The two of us wasted no time and ran for our lives, we made it too the first floor just as the first charge went of followed by the next two which were seconds apart. By the time we reached the exit, I could see that the building was collapsing.

[-][+][-]


Chapter 43

[-][+][-]

It was along track through the woods for both of us and in the fight with Anna, I had reopened the wound from being shot and Steve was not faring all that well either. I could see that his wound was still opened and for some reason, his nanites were not closing the wound. I was worried that Anna had program him for one last fight and that he was why he was bleeding out the way he was.

The two of us walked for another 10 minute when Steve collapsed and fell to the ground. I knew then that he was in big trouble, Steve had lost a lot of blood between the time that I had shot him and now. I had no choice but to bend down and somehow find the strength to carry his weight over my shoulder. With ever step, I felt the pain of my own injury. I somehow managed to carry him to the road where Steve and I had left Adam.

"ADAM!" I yelled as loud as I could.

"Sarah! Where are you," He yelled back.

“I need your help! Hurry!”

Adam followed the sound of my voice till he was standing in front of me. He
looked over at me, then Steve and saw that the both of us were covered in blood, “You're hurt!”

“No, Adam, I will be alright. Help me get Steve to the car.”

Adam came over and picked up Steve like he weighed nothing and carried him back to the car with me following behind. Once he was in the back of the car I climbed in beside Steve and turned to Adam, “We need to find Dr. Picard, fast!”

“He is likely at home,” Adam said.

I pulled the phone out of my jumpsuit pocket and dialed Dr. Picard's home number and explained what had happen. He told me to go straight to his office, he'd meet us there and to make sure that I put pressure over Steve’s wound.

We arrived at Dr. Picard office a half an hour later, and Leo was already parked outside waiting in his car. When he saw us pull into the parking spot next to the door, he came over and opened the door then helped us to bring Steve inside.

[-][+][-]

Once all of us were inside, he looked over Steve and said, "He has lost a lot of blood and his wound doesn’t seem too be clotting."

"DAMN!"

Leo looked over at me then asked,”Do you know what they did to him?”

“Anna said that they reprogrammed him, using some of her new toys, I am guessing that she used nanites, but they are not healing him.”

Dr. Picard looked over at me then Steve, “I think that I know what is going on, they didn’t want Steve to live past this mission. The nanites are programmed to let him die.”

“I can only think of one thing that might save him, we can do a blood transfusion and maybe once your nanites are inside him, they can take control and heal him.”

Doctor Picard walked over to the medicine cabinet and took out a vile and a needle, then injected it into Steve’s arm and within a few minutes Steve was awake.

"Steve, I need to ask you a few question. My name is Leo Picard. Sarah brought you to me, I know all about the two of you. I am her doctor and have been taking care of her from the start of all of this insanity."

"OK."

"Steve, your nanites are not working. You have lost a lot of blood and if you don’t have a blood infusion you are going to die. I need to know your blood type if Sarah and yours are the compatible we can use her blood and nanites to heal you.

“My blood type is, A Negative”, Steve said weakly.

Leo walked over to his computer and pulled up my file and turned to me, “You are, O Negative, the transfusion should work.”

[-][+][-]

I was soon on a table next to Steve with tubes running from my arm to his. While this happened, Dr. Picard took a look at my wound, "I don’t think the bullet hit anything serious, but I think it would be a good idea to take it out before the cut closes up completely."

I nodded to him to proceed

Leo looked at me then said, “I can’t give you anything too dull the pain as whatever I give you will also end up inside Steve.”

“Just take it out,” I said with a frown.

[-][+][-]

To say having a bullet removed is easy would be an understatement! It was really painful. When Adam took my hand while Leo was pulling out the bullet, he realized just how painful is was because I came pretty close to breaking his poor hand because I was squeezing it so hard. But the bullet was out and after a quick look Leo said, "You will be alright," And covered it up with a clean bandage.

Shortly after that, Steve started coming around again and turned to me, and smiled, “It finely over with, we are finely free.”

I smiled back at and took his hand in mine, “Yes, Steve. They can’t hurt us, anymore.”

“I need to talk to you alone for a few minutes."

"OK."

"Could the two of you give us a few minutes?" Steve asked Leo and Adam.

After Steve and I were alone, he turned to me and said, “I know that you are not the real Sarah Tanner. Who are you really?”

I looked over at Steve, “How do you know about that?”

When you left me in the storage room, I had a visitor, she said her name was Sarah Tanner. I couldn’t see her, but I could hear her. She told me that she had done all she could to help you and that if I didn’t get up and fight, you were going to die. "Somehow I was able to break the programming that Anna gave me and with her help, I found you."

“Now I am asking you again. Who are you really?”

“My name was John Stevens. At least it was before I woke up in this body, I had always believed I was a woman inside. So when it happened I was happy, but I thought the real Sarah was gone.”

“The real Sarah Tanner gave you a gift and I believe that is the only reason you are here. The programming they gave you should have worked, and for some reason it didn’t work. I believe that you were being protected by the real Sarah Tanner, she gave you this life for a reason, and now that you are safe I believe that she is finely at rest, herself.”

I thought about what Steve just told me, was the real Sarah here all along and I just couldn’t see it? Then I thought about how powerful that my abilities had become, was that Sarah taking care of me by making changes to my nanites? If so, then I owed her a lot more then just the life she had given me.

I turned to Steve and said, ”You know that this has to be a secret, right?”

“Yes, I will never tell a soul, you have my word.”

I smiled at Steve then asked, “What will you do now?”

“I guess that I will spend the first little while getting to know my family again, after that, I really don’t know, what about you?”

“It will be nice to go home and see my family and friends, then I will be back to school and will likely end up marrying Adam and having a family of my own, but for now I just want to be a kid again. I have the life that I always wanted and plan on living it.”

[-][+][-]

It was time for Adam and I too leave, so I leaned over and gave Steve a hug and kiss on the cheek and told him, "Don't be a stranger."

He smiled at me and said, "You’re like a daughter to me, you will always be a big part of my life."

I smiled and told him, "Take care of yourself, see you soon."

I then turned to Leo and smiled, “Thanks for everything; you have been a good friend even after I kidnapped you at gun point.”

I reached over and gave him a hug and kiss then reached over and took Adam’s hand and gave it a squeezes, “And you my love I think that you already know how I feel about you.”

Adam Smiled,” I love you too, Sarah.”

“You better because I plan on marrying you.”

[-][+][-]

Adam and I arrived at my home around 1:30A.M. I had picked up the phone before I left Dr. Picard’s office and woke my parents up and let them know that I was coming home. They were both very excited and met us at the door.

It was an emotional homecoming for all of us. I even dragged Adam inside with us. As far as I was concerned, he was my husband and when I told mom and Dad, they accepted the fact that their little girl was engaged.

I spent the following day with my family and friends, when Amy arrived, she was carrying a newspaper and came running over to me and gave me a big hug, handed me the newspaper and said. Look at this!

On the page was the title 'Sleeper Program Exposed' and it followed with a story I was so relieved that I was unable to read it aloud. Megan came over and said, "I will read it," and took the paper from me, then took a seat on the couch next to me.

[-][+][-]

Newspaper Article

[-][+][-]

As many of you might have heard, many of the news services received files that came from the computer of the Dr. Anna Vandervolt. After going though the files on the computer, we found out that she was working for a government agency who’s main objective was to create super soldiers by any means possible.

Over the years there had been many test subjects, but only two survived the process. These two people were placed into this program without their consent and programmed to be trained killers, one of them in still considered to be a minor being only sixteen years old.

In espionage, a sleeper agent is one who has infiltrated into the target country and 'gone to sleep', sometimes for many years. That is, he or she does nothing to communicate with his or her sponsor or any existing agents, or to obtain information beyond that in public sources. They can also be referred to as 'deep cover' agents. They acquire jobs and identities, ideally ones which will prove useful in the future and attempt to blend into everyday life as normal citizens.

Theses agents were created as assassins, once activated, they go after the target and terminate them, and they have no knowledge of committing the crimes. Even if they are caught, there is nothing to lead anyone back to who actually ordered the attacks.

As of yet, the we have heard nothing back from the military or any other government agency But thanks to the files that we have in our position, we expect that we will be contacted soon for possible press conference and will keep looking into the story for more possible leads.

Sandy Reynolds,
The Vancouver Sun

[-][+][-]


Three years later

[-][+][-]

“How do I look, Megan?”

“Sarah, for the fifteenth time, you look beautiful.”

“God! I am so nervous!”

“Sarah, you are supposed to be, you getting married,” Megan said with a grin.

I looked over at Megan, “I guess you're right, and I wonder how Adam is doing?”

“Likely a nervous wreck, and most likely nursing one hell of a hangover.”

“Serves him right going to a strip bar with the guys,” I said with a smile.

“You know he only has eyes for you Sarah,” Megan said with a smile.

“Yeah, I know Megan. And I am lucky to have him.”

[-][+][-]

They say that one of the happiest days in a girl’s life is the day her father walks her down the isle to marry the man she loves, and it’s true! But there is one other time, that is when the minister says, “You are now man and wife, you may kiss the bride.”

When Adam kissed me, I knew that I was a lucky girl and when the baby is born, He would be the perfect father to our child.

The End

I would like to thank Stanman63 and SuZie for all the help they gave me with the editing of the story, being a new writer you tend to miss a lot and for me this has also been a learning experience and I will be putting out another story soon. I hope you enjoyed the story as much as I have enjoyed writing it.

[-][+][-]

The End

Finis

up
57 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Rebirth Part 18 -The Conclusion

Love the twist you added. Makes sense, too.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thanks

for the story; it was quite interesting. You still need to be consistent in your use of quotation marks. Possibly you could try different editors (actually proof-readers). Good luck!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Rebirth

Good story! Yes you made quite a few mistakes but still it was a good story.

Hugs

Vivien

Rebirth

GREAT STORY.