Timeout 3- Continuous Play - Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version

The suprise conclusion of that disasterous phone call. Joanie's student band gets together and picks a name. She finds the public and private images projected by one member differ greatly. Joanie's niece describes her powers testing and *other* issues, much to her aunt's embarrassment. Fran, Jinn and Harry discuss Joanie's housing projects. She preps for her NOVA hosting. In Boston Joanie films for NOVA and meets a Englishman who often is seen in association with a large blue box.


Andy Warhol said,"In the future, everyone will be famous for 15 minutes." What if your 15 minutes came late in life, and fame decided to never let you go? Could you survive the circus your life would become?

Timeout 3-Continuous play: A Whateley Academy Fan fiction

This is fan fiction for the Whateley Academy series. It may or may not match the timeline, characters, and continuity, but since it's fan fiction, who cares? To see the canon Whateley Stories, check out either Sapphire's Place,

(http://www.sapphireplace.com/stories/whateley.html) or the Big Closet (http://bigclosetr.us/topshelf/taxonomy/term/117)."

Another chapter in part three of my TG/sci-fi/superhero/magic and the whole nine yards epic. I’m much better now than when I started this, though comma useage is still confusing; ask Itinerant. Your constructive criticism and advice always helps. This is an exercise in the joys of creativity and in appreciation of the wonderful Whateley Universe. Any violations of copyright, trade mark or use of real people or incidents are purely for purposes of humor or parody and done solely for the free enjoyment of the reading public. All rights reserved in perpetuity, John from Wauwatosa WI, 2005-2006.

Adult content advisory: this chapter was word processed on equipment that word processes peanuts, soy, eggs, milk, wheat and fish. Those with allergies are advised to read with caution. And there is some adult content too, so be warned.

Timeout 3

By John from Wauwatosa
Proofing by Itinerant
100 proof by distilling
Designated driver and additional proofing by Janet Nolan

Chapter 13, Congratulations, It’s A Girl 2, The Sabers, Home Improvement 7, Who’s on First 1

Whateley Academy Dunwich, Des Moines IA, Boston MA, April 24-28, 2007

April 24, 2007

I slunk onto my bed and wept.

“I’m an idiot, Pinky,” I gasped through the tears. I desperately wanted to give in to my emotions and let it all out, but I had to make it up to the girl.

“I was trying to reason with your mom, and I blew up on her instead. I’ve ruined it for you!” I said choking back my sobs.

Pinky sat down next to me and put her hands on both sides of my face, forcing me to look at her. Her eyes locked on mine, and I saw she was smiling despite her tears.

~~She’s happy? ~~

“I overheard the last part of your cell call. I never told you, Joanie, but I have excellent hearing -- better than most people. It improved when I mutated. It’s not like I have a super sense, but I did hear the phone call clearly, not that I meant to listen in. I heard my mom say those disgusting things about the judge and you; if she’d said that to me, I’d have slapped her in the face, mom or not. How dare she say that about you!” Pinky growled indignantly, and then she started to cry again. After we both had a good cry, and lots of hugs, we settled down.

“I promise I’ll try again, Pinky. Despite her delusions, she is your birth mother. Your Aunt Amelia says her sister reacted badly when she mutated. From what Amelia said, when you mutated your mom couldn’t handle it. To her it reminded her too much of when she ‘lost’ her sister to the same ‘scourge’. I don’t think she’s a bad person; she's just so mistaken in her beliefs that it’s hard to find a point of mutual agreement — some common ground. She refuses to see the old Pinky that is still the core of the new and improved Pinky,” I said and smiled. Pinky laughed.

“Without that to build on -- that common ground -- it will be hard to convince your mom to admit her errors and support you. I have a gambit, a plan, but it’s risky. Who is the instructor at Whateley who says, ‘lack of information can be deadly?’”

“That’s Mr. Anderson; he teaches a survival class for those who seem to attract trouble and aren’t good fighters, or those who can’t control themselves once in a fight. I had him when I got violent and was using my empathic powers to start brawls. That’s why they put me in Hawthorn; I was doing it in my sleep. I haven’t had an episode since we met. At first it was because I had a target for my anger, you, Joanie. Then after I tried to …” Pinky paused to compose herself, “I wasn’t so angry anymore once I knew I had a true friend. Dr. Bellows says it’s because I’ve learned better ways to resolve my problems, and I have higher self-esteem. It’s also because I made myself a vow that I’d be the best possible mutant I could, so you would be proud of me. I know that sounds like the rationalization I used when I tried to harm you -- is that the right word, Joanie, rationalization?” she asked.

“If you mean to come up with a logical sounding reason for doing something you know is wrong, yes, that’s a great word,” I said.

“I rationalized that in trying to hurt you, I was earning the respect of my Aunt. It’s not like that this time, Joanie. I’m doing it for the best of reasons. I’m doing this for me; I want to respect myself, and I want to earn the respect of others like you and Ms. Carson. Oh, I’m sorry for interrupting, Joanie. What were you telling me, something about a plan?” Pinky asked abruptly.

“I called the Senator so he would contact his judge pal. I’d call myself, but I want this to stay a secret for now. They’re long-time friends so their getting together is not suspicious. The judge has a friend who’s a Massachusetts children’s court judge.

"Through that Massachusetts judge, I’m getting papers drawn up that, if your mom signs, relinquishes all her parental rights over you. The court will then assign a guardian. If need be, the two judges will go to court for me and have your mom declared an unfit mother. I’m hoping the scare will make her realize what she’s losing and shock her into fighting for you,” I said.

“Who will be my mom if she loses or signs the papers? I’m not yet fifteen; I can’t be on my own,” Pinky asked.

“Me, silly, and I’m making provisions for your Aunt to be my backup. We may not see eye-to-eye on many things, but she stood by you at your lowest point and that counts for a lot with me, Pinky,” I replied. Pinky smiled intensely.

“I heard you stand up for Aunty, and I heard you tell Mom how bad she was to disavow her sister, my Aunt Amelia. I’m going to tell Aunty what you said. ...You sure you’re okay now? It’s almost time for dinner,” Pinky said, and gave my hands a friendly squeeze.

“Let’s feed the smilodons, then go. I wish the call had gone better, I’m sorry dear,” I said and gave Pinky a motherly hug -- someone had to.

~~I hope to hug my own daughters someday. Did I just think ‘daughters’, plural? Oh ghod I did. I hope you don’t mind a big family, Eric.~~

* * * *

We stopped by administration before they closed for the night to check my mail. I had received a nice, handwritten note from Mr. Ford via next day mail thanking me yet again for choosing their product. He said their advertising people had made an initial review of the photos and film. They thought the combination of my looks, the sexy outfit I wore, and the joy in my expression as I looked over the truck would boost sales to young women and males, a coveted group.

I also received my NOVA script and a letter requesting I come to the Boston studios ASAP to record my voiceovers and film segments. If I preferred, they thought they could do much of the voice work at Whateley. I would need to do some green-screen shots in the studio, but the opening sequence introducing me could be done at Whateley, or even my farm as some of the This Old House crew and cast would be available soon -- thus killing two birds with one stone. They felt a shot of me at the Whateley gates, or in front of the Crystal Hall, would make a great visual without compromising my security. Mr. Hefner had kindly sent copies of some of the campus shots they’d taken of me on to the PBS NOVA office, and the staff thought Whateley projected the right blend of old and new.

The miniseries producer wrote: “We hope you can be in Boston this weekend. If you can make it, please let us know, and we’ll have a full crew on to make the most of your time. We look forward to working with you, Ms Brown.

"We are also curious about those odd ‘cats’ of yours. We are currently busy researching in preparation for a NOVA special on early humans in North America, with emphasis on their impact on the flora and fauna. Frankly, our chief paleo-biologist consultant couldn’t believe what she thinks she saw in the video, and she’s a top expert on the Late Pleistocene. She said something about smilodons and asked how we faked this. Then again you are at Whateley; I’ve had dealings with the academy before. I understand that strange, inexplicable things are the norm there”

I was glad to hear from them, as I was serious about getting out the truth about mutants, and it sounded like fun. I also received a letter from Minnesota from Garrison Keillor, apologizing for not writing sooner and asking if I was available to appear on the radio show again anytime soon. The Des Moines, Iowa, show had received outstanding reviews, and the cast felt I was a great sport for coming on the show unprepared. What he wrote about Pinky had me in tears.

“That delightful young woman, Ms. Conners -- your school friend who sang back up -- is most welcome. The band all commented on how professional she was and of her wondrous voice; not that you’re a slouch in that department, Ms. Brown. I understand your security concerns, and we will work with you to satisfy them. Please consider an appearance as your combined voices brought me to tears with their power.”

~~If he were any nicer I’d swear he wants to have my baby. That’s a thought -- a 60 year old man pregnant. ~~

“What are you giggling about Joanie?” Pinky asked as we slowly walked to dinner.

“A letter from that radio show we were on; read it,” I said.

She read and returned it. I could see her reaction; she was shocked.

“They thought I was professional, and they want me back?” Pinky asked, astonished.

“Uh-huh! Girl, I told you were good. If the show comes near New England, maybe our little band could go on. That reminds me, are you taking summer school? It doesn’t look like you can go home to your mom anytime soon. The smilodons could do with a friendly face around, as I will be off campus several times this summer. I’d love to have you along, but I’d worry about my furry babies. Lex and Security can take them for a few days but, with you they’re in good hands,” I said and Pinky laughed.

If I was the momma smilodon, she was their favorite older sister, and she clearly returned the feelings.

“I also need someone to run the band practices when I’m gone. Mr. King will help, but I’d like to see each of you take an active role in running some aspect of it. I’m supposed to be a teacher, not some gad-about that flits in and out of here. Learning by hands-on-experience is one of the best teaching methods.

“I promised Babs I’d be there for the birth of her twins. That should be in August. It will be educational for me, Pinky; I hope to be a mother someday,” I said wistfully.

“That could be sooner than you’d like, if you don’t control yourself around Eric,” Pinky teased, as we neared The Crystal Hall.

“Pinky! I, well, I mean Eric and I …”

“I knew it; I can see you’re aroused already. Your nipples are like bullets at the thought of him. Joanie, get your hand away from there, you’ll go blind,” Pinky whispered and giggled.

~~I’m doing ‘that’ in public! I’ve snapped. Eric, get out of my mind … Great, now I ‘have’ to think about him, whether I want to or not. ~~

“That’s dirty pool and you know it. Wait until you fall for someone; I’ll remember this,” I said, and faked a witch's cackle. Pinky simply giggled all the more.

* * * *

The band was waiting at my favorite table, tables actually; they pulled several together so we could sit as one group. Everyone made it, including Cheryl, the cashiering horn and sax virtuoso, to my pleasant surprise and shock.

“Cheryl, I thought you’d be stuck cashiering?” I asked. I stared at her; something was way different about her appearance.

“I told my supervisor I had a chance to be in your student band, so she found another student who was willing to swap some breakfast shifts for some dinner shifts. I can guarantee you Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and maybe every other Thursday. The rest of the week, I’ll have to show up late or cut out early depending on when you practice,” Cheryl said, with hardly a hint of her tough-boiled ‘Joisey’/Fran Dresser accent. Her voice was steeped in refined culture and sensuality.

“A deeply-plunging, v-neck, silk blouse/cashmere sweater-vest combo, with a mid-thigh body-hugging skirt, nylons and dress sandals, earrings and make-up, topped off with your hair in a French-braid; what’s with ‘the works’? And what happened to your accent?” I asked, astonished.

~~Cheryl usually dresses like a Tigerbeat junkie-cum-ghetto-fabulous wanna-be; tonight she’s a classic fashion plate -- those legs and that cleavage! Where did all that come from? And her voice! She doesn’t sound like a Fran Dresser clone anymore; she’s sounds more like an upper-class version of J-lo, but sexier and lower pitched. Ghod, I think I’m getting aroused! ~~

She looked sheepish for a moment, but recovered.

“When you decided to let me join your band, I wasn’t going to play the wise-ass, bubble-gun chewing secretary to your sex goddess, Joanie. The tough-girl act is so I don’t get hit on at work. I figure with your looks, there should be some pretty choice rejects available after you turn them down -- girls as well as boys,” Cheryl said without batting an eye.

“So you’re joining my band for access to a better pool of sex partners?” I asked, not certain of what she meant.

“That, and I love the music. If I can learn something from you about stage presence and how to handle a crowd, I figure I’m ahead. I’m not a slut, but this way I can scope out some choice boys and girls without seeming like a girl on-the-make,” she said honestly.

“I’ll tell you one thing, Cheryl. I won’t call you Brittany Spears anymore. You’re way too good looking for that. If you can teach the other girls to dress and talk like that, our band won’t need to play a note. We could walk on stage, bow, jiggle, and get a standing ovation -- I am impressed,” I said, and I meant it. Cheryl cleaned up nicely.

~~Who knew a Venus de Milo was hiding under all that tacky? ~~

“Everybody, eat up. As soon as we’re done, we’ll go over some of the songs I’d like us to learn -- the artists and types of tunes I’d like us to concentrate on at first. I’d appreciate your feedback. I was a middle-aged guy until last summer so I’m not up on all the hot, current artists,” I said trying to convince them I wanted and valued their input. It was as much to remind me to give them a chance. I didn’t want my enthusiasm inhibiting theirs

I spoke my peace for maybe ten minutes, then let them think about it while we finished our meal. We slowly walked to the King Annex and talked over our plans. Cindy -- AKA Barbie Q, our newly added percussionist -- spoke next.

“Joanie, I joined, and I’m sure the others joined, because we’re interested in the older music you enjoy. Now that I think of it, Cheryl’s idea about the groupies works for me, Joanie, -- guys in my case. As to music, I also enjoy some of the more recent songs and performers. I think we should go with what you suggest for now, and as we get a feel for what we’re capable of, then we can try the new stuff. As far as your not being familiar with the hot, current artists, hon’, you are one of them. There is no one hotter than you, Joanie.

“What is that old song lyric, ‘everything old is new again’? Joanie, you’ve made old music new. It bothered me as a little girl, and it still does, how the big radio chains and record companies hold back innovative music because they can’t see its potential. Then they go crazy, promote the crap out of the new music they hated six months before while they drop established artists because they are ‘out of favor’. If you refuse to distribute and play someone’s music, of course they’ll be out of favor. Your producer and label were gutsy to take a chance on you, but then you did provide them a lot of free publicity. And it doesn’t hurt that you’re pleasant to look at,“ Cindy said and blushed.

~~At first Cindy sounded pure hetero, but after that last comment… Not another bi or lesbian mutant? This is incredible. As I guy, I hardly got a nibble from the girls, now I’m the Chef’s special. And I had to take myself off the menu! Eric, if you so much as look at another girl...~~

* * * *

We played for an hour, then I broke it up. I didn’t want to push them too hard and spoil their love of music. A couple complained.

“Why’d we stop, Joanie? We were smoking,“ asked Tina.

“Same here, Joanie, why did we stop, it was fun,” asked Jenny.

“We stopped so you could have some free time to yourselves and so you didn’t get to feel this was a chore. I want our practices to be fun. If not, I don’t think we’ll play as well. We also need to think of a name for our group. First off, you can’t use my name in any form what-so-ever, deal? I want this to be ‘our’ band, not ‘my’ band,“ I said and smiled.

“That’s why we took turns singing lead on Bad Moon Rising; you want us all to be featured,“ said Jenny confidently.

“Am I that obvious?” I asked.

“Uh-huh! Joanie, I could tell you were up to something,” Jenny said.

She had taken a cue from Cheryl, un—buttoning some buttons and re-tying her school blouse into a Daisy Duke, farmer's daughter look. She’d slipped off her sweat-pants to reveal her gym shorts and her shorter but equally attractive legs. I felt almost dowdy in my hell-for-leather outfit, like some later-day Honor Blackman.

“That’s exactly why I had you take turns. I’m famous enough; why should I hog the spotlight? You all have exceptional talent; you all deserve a shot at some recognition,” I said.

“If your name is out, how about something that describes the group over-all; what do we have in common?” Cindy asked us.

“What about 'The Mutant Babes'? It’s accurate,” said Tom.

“Thanks, Tom, but we need something that flows well and is easy to remember,“ said Suzy. “Maybe 'The Sexettes', something to do with there being six of us and how hot we look?”

“Not bad, Suzy, but I worry about emphasizing the sex angle too much. We want to sing to our audience, not have an orgy -- as much as my teenage libido screams otherwise,” I said, and we all giggled, even Tom -- well, he snorted more or less.

“Animal and place names are popular, that and acronyms,” offered Jenny.

We toyed with that for a while but the acronyms either were painfully strained or filthy -- at least the *good* ones were filthy. Pinky said something that clicked.

“Thinking of animals, what about George and Gracie?” Pinky asked.

“George Burns and his comic genius wife, Gracie, may be dead, but their names might still be registered trade marks or copy-written,” I reminded them.

“I was thinking 'The Sabertooths' or plain 'Smildons',” Pinky said.

“Why not 'Saber', or 'Sabers'? 'The Sabers' could be anything: your feline friends, Joanie, swords, or a famous series of fighter-jets from the 1950’s,” replied Tina. “Sorry, but dad was a history buff,” she said and I saw her fight back the sniffles for her missing parents.

“It’s short and sweet; I like it. And that’s the band name I’m referring to. Don’t you dare go on about, um, male appendages,” I added quickly.

“We wouldn’t dare, Joanie. And I know you like them big,” Pinky said, and mouthed ‘Eric’ so only I could see her. Before I could scold her, or relieve my abruptly building sexual tension, the band members spoke in rapid succession.

“'The Saber Band', or 'Sabers', I like it, and we have two ready mascots, if Joanie will let us use them on occasion,” said Cindy.

“'Sabers' works for me,“ said Jenny, “and Joanie’s kitties are so cute for extinct carnivores.”

“'Sabers'?” asked Pinky, as she *called* the vote.

“'Sabers',” they said as one.

“You realize, girls,” I said as I gave in once more to the silly side of the Force, “we’ve just called ourselves a bunch of pussies.”

“Oh you!” they shouted, and we broke up for the night, giggling like the schoolgirls we are while Tom snickered.

* * * *

April 25-27, 2007

The rest of the week flew by.

I did my usual routine of a 7AM run with Pinky and an increasing number of the Sabers. I think they’d concluded my sexy figure was in part the result of my exercising, so the girls decided to get in on the benefits. Tom tagged along to protect his sister, Tina, and ogle the girls -- in particular Suzy. Suzy confided to me that she was in the midst of a major growth spurt. The doctors told her the mutation had kicked her puberty into overdrive. She would likely end up several inches taller and, um, better proportioned than she otherwise might have been. Apparently, she was a low-to-moderate level exemplar as well as a mimic. This worried the part of my brain that was playing substitute mom for my cousin. Suzy was already of average height for an adult woman, had a cute, cherubic face and traffic-stopping curves for a high school junior.

~~And she is still growing? ~~

“You’re in a growth spurt with that body? It will be a full-time job to keep the boys off you, Ms. Suzy Sexpot.” She giggled at my joke. “Did you want to go on the pill? Your mom said for me to watch out for you. You’re going to have sex soon, if you haven’t already. Campus medical is generous in handing out condoms despite the ‘Official’ no sex between students rule, but I’d like the peace of mind knowing you have additional protection,’ I said carefully.

“Joanie, I can wait; I’m no slut,” Suzy snapped back.

“I didn’t mean to imply that, Suzy. Back when you finished recovering from your burnout and were being evaluated at the Mutant Wing in Madison, Pinky and I went on to Iowa, to visit the governor and his family,” I reminded her.

“Pinky told me you’re very close to them, especially the girl you saved, Melissa, and her brother Eric. She said you and Eric are, well, practically lovers,” Suzy said and blushed.

“She’s not lying. I almost had sex with Eric, I mean full vaginal intercourse, and it started out as a quiet night watching DVDs with Mel and Pinky. Eric and I fell asleep on a couch snuggled together, and the next thing I remember we were subconsciously masturbating each other and burning to do it -- to have sex; at least I was. If Pinky hadn’t brought us to our senses, I don’t know if we could have stopped. It felt so good; I know I didn’t want to stop. Poor Eric must have felt similarly confused. I could have gotten pregnant; I was at my peak fertility and knew it but didn’t care. At that moment the only thing I could think of was Eric and our pleasure. Nothing else mattered; we were in our own universe. Suzy, I could have been charged with child molestation and that didn’t stop me. I still feel dirty, yet we did nothing wrong. But if we hadn’t stopped… I shudder to think of the consequences.

“Be careful. You’re one torn condom way from being an unwed mother, and all the hardship that entails. If you feel uncomfortable, I’ll go with you. I can’t go on the pill, or any other hormones as my body burns them off so fast, but I can give you moral support,” I offered.

“Let me talk to Mom and we’ll see,” she said, and I handed her my Whateley Security cell phone. Christine Kenner and her husband were on speed dial.

She talked with the parents, and they with me; Suzy got the go ahead to get on the ‘pill.’ Cousin Christine thanked me for persuading their daughter to get contraception. While we waited for her gynecological exam and the prescription to be filled, Suzy explained to me what she was learning about her power and how they were training her to handle it.

“It’s been great, Joanie, they gave me a special tutor because of my abilities. Every other day I try to copy a new power for her. The first day I watch as the person I’m to copy demonstrates their power and explains how they control it. Then I touch them and after a minute or so, I am them, down to every freckle and …” Suzy paused and giggled nervously. “The first couple of times I copied boys, it was a shock. How did you ever stand being a boy with your … penis doing ‘that’ all the time -- it’s distracting and sometimes painful. That’s part of why I like Tom so. I notice that I’m doing that to him, but he never complains. I know it must drive him crazy not being able to relieve himself.”

~~I don’t want to hear this; I don’t want to hear this, I don’t want to … ~~

“That’s more *detail* than I think I need,” I said and blushed. Suzy giggled and smiled.

“I embarrassed you? Joanie, the teenaged sex goddess is blushing at my describing male reproductive parts?” Suzy said, and broke into a laugh.

“You’re my, you know, niece,” I whispered. “Of course I’m embarrassed, but proud too. If you're honest and open about this, it proves you’re an honest and open-minded individual. I respect that,” I said, calming some.

“Then you're about to respect me all the more,” Suzy said and grinned wickedly. “I played with it once, to see what it’s like. I prefer it as a girl, but it was so intense. There’s the sense of power you feel knowing that hot fluid pulsing out of you can make babies. Oh, Joanie, when I copy them, I’m not circumcised but I can be, if they tell me. That surprised my doctors at first, but since I can copy a power and not have to copy a person’s form it makes sense. Same goes with tattoos and piercings.”

~~I do NOT want to hear this! ~~” La la la la la …”

“Joanie, take your fingers out of your ears and stop going la la,” she said and giggled. “On the remainder of each first day, I try using the borrowed powers. On the second day, I use the powers but retain my own form. That’s one lesson we keep going back to, as it helps with my control and manipulation of the finer details,” Suzy said with graphic honesty.

As for my reaction to Suzy’s ‘honesty,’ I was, well, I should have been sweating, if I was not this tough mutant girl. I blushed a bright shade of red, though.

~~And I want to have children? How will I react if one of mine tells me something like this? ~~

“I, ah, that was honest and forthcoming, Suzy. What powers have you copied so far?” I asked.

“Let’s see: I’ve been an energizer -- I sure was hungry later that day. I’ve also been a flyer -- that was scary at first. I’ve copied a low-level magic user and one warper-class, a density shifter. Um, Joanie, I need to copy a time-sensitive, like a precognitive or clairvoyant or …” Suzy looked embarrassed now.

“A time-manipulator, you want to copy me? I’m honored but it could be dangerous; you know I time travel, and my time stop is not as innocent as it looks,” I said.

“I know it will expose some of your deepest secrets to me, but it’s important. I do love you; I would never hurt you, Joanie,” she said sweetly.

“Okay, but we do this with lots of supervision, and you don’t practice my powers when I’m not around — in case something goes wrong. Word of warning, I have a pesky libido; think you can handle it?” I asked, and we both snickered.

“I’ll tell my instructor, and she can work it out with you and your supervisors. Think of it, twin Joanies walking around campus -- imagine the fun we can have.”

~~Oh, the humanity!~~ I thought as images of burning dirigibles played in my mind.

* * * *

The rest of the week, I carried out my usual routine, the morning run, breakfast with the gang, classes, my staff related activities and the like, as usual. I also enlisted help from the band to help me memorize my lines for the upcoming NOVA mini-series on mutants.

~~If I find I’m doing this with any regularity, it would be wise to take acting lessons. I should check out our campus drama club. I understand they are quite good. ~~

I received the final architectural and engineering plans for my projects, courtesy of Stan, Morrie, and their colleagues in Operations. Sam Everheart made good on her promise to provide detailed recommendations for the needed security features. I made plans to take the entire crew to the farm early Monday morning to begin clean-up and demolition. I’d gotten permission from Elaine Claire in student services to hire my student helpers after signing innumerable liability releases and after providing proof of insurance or the ability to pay should a child be injured on the job -- like that would be a problem for me. There was more paperwork involved in hiring my crew than in buying my 53 acre farm.

I met with Fran Barnes and Harry Wolfe at eight o'clock Friday morning by my truck outside Administration, and drove them to my farm. Jinn said she would meet us there on her own. Unfortunately her sister, Jade, was busy this morning with Operations. I brought the plans along to discuss with them. Sam had recommended all four of them, including Jade, and Stan and Morrie had agreed. I thought I’d pick their bright, young brains for ideas on how to proceed.

“Ms. Brown,” said Harry Wolfe. He looked just like his name, all seven feet of him.

“Harry, what did I say when we got in the truck?”

“To call you Joanie, as Ms. Brown was your mother,” he said sheepishly. For a big, hairy monster of a young man, he was well mannered.

“Okay, Harry, what were you saying?” I asked.

“This is a nice truck you have; I can improve it, if you’ll let me,” he offered.

“Will this void my free lifetime repairs and maintenance policy?” I asked.

“Free lifetime repairs and maintenance? What did you do to get that?” he asked.

“I became Ford’s latest ad spokesperson on the cheap,” I said, and smiled.

“Well, if you ever change your mind, I’d love to work on the baby,” he said, and smiled back -- scary with his face.

“Fran, you’re awfully quiet. Why?” I asked.

Fran was a tall, willowy girl, close to six feet tall, and wore a body-hugging outfit in Earth-tones. It suited her perfectly and not just her figure.

“I was taking in what you told us earlier; I can see your project done in a natural motif,” she said.

“You see everything that way,” joked Harry.

~~Did his parents name him Harry to be funny? Even I’m not that bad. ~~

“I saw what you did for Sam’s apartment. That was great work, Fran, but could tone it down for me,” I said.

“In what way do you mean ‘tone it down’?” Fran asked.

“Sam said she’s encouraged you to take up architecture and engineering. Are you familiar with Frank Lloyd Wright and his concept of Organic Architecture and the Prairie School?” I questioned her.

“I’ve begun studies in those areas, and yes, I’ve seen some of his work. I love how his buildings blend with the landscape rather than try to impose themselves on it,” Fran replied.

At that moment we arrived at the farm. Jinn flew in and joined us soon after. I got out the blueprints, and we discussed what I meant. After we’d finished going over the plans we walked to the barn.

“This is the big project. I want to preserve the building, but build a highly secure, comfortable, and inviting home within the existing structure. Sam drew up the security plans and Operations the building plans. Fran, Sam said you can ‘flow’ materials. Harry, Sam said you are a genius with mechanical things. Jinn, I saw how you can change your shape and get into tight spaces; the cable pulling job you did was impressive. Can you three make these plans work?” I asked.

“I like what they suggest, though I can improve on it. I don’t see any unsolvable problems,“ Harry said.

“I noticed the exposed slab of gneiss under part of the barn, and the survey says it’s under the entire building. I can use that to build a solid stone foundation and finish stonework. This could be fun,” she added.

“Whatever Fran and Harry come up with, I can help get it done. Don’t let my being dead fool you,” Jinn said, hovering.

“Will excavating a basement and escape tunnels be hard? Sam said you cut flawless window openings into the tower for her,” I asked Fran.

“It’s an exponentially bigger project. I may need to do it over many days to avoid straining my powers, but I can do it,” Fran said in her soft, natural voice.

“I though you could use the excess to give me stone floors in the wet areas — kitchen, laundry, bathrooms — and build walkways between the buildings. Any leftovers could pave the loading areas in the driveway,” I suggested.

“No grotto?”

I shook my head.

She frowned, then smiled.

“How about constructing a stone-lined hot-tub/spa/sauna in one of the out-buildings and maybe a decorative pond outside somewhere?” Fran beamed.

~~Oooh, Eric will like this. ~~

“Sounds like fun; I can run the pipes and wires easily. My sister can give you some clues about what works and doesn’t in a hot-tub,” Jinn said and kind-of blushed, hard to tell with that all-white powder that covers her invisible skin. I understand from my Security connections Jinn can simulate skin quite well but doesn’t always do so.

~~Smart girl, don’t show all your cards.~~

“Jade is familiar with hot-tubs?” I asked in surprise.

Jade looked so young to me, barely an adolescent by her height, though I knew otherwise. I’d checked the school records of my hires as a precaution, both for their sakes as much as mine. In their eagerness to earn some cash they might have failed to tell me something important, say being violently allergic to house dust. I’d found Jade, to my surprise, was nearly fifteen. There was something odd about her, something that didn’t fit with the confident attitude she’d demonstrated in the few times we talked. It was a vibe, a feeling but that was all. I wondered if I was letting her diminutive stature fool me, but still…

~~Hum? She doesn’t seem the hot-tub type to me. She’s far too serious and definitely not preoccupied with showing off her body, unlike some on campus ... Great, I just think I diss’ed myself in my own mind. ~~

“She’s been invited to a few all-girl parties. The big thing is privacy, or so she says,” Jinn finished.

“That has merit; draw me a rough sketch, girls. Harry, you help them work out the systems, and we have a deal. I plan to start on Monday, as I’m busy this weekend. I’ll be in Boston doing some TV work,” I said.

“You’re going on TV?” Harry asked.

“I’m to host a NOVA mini series on mutants. For some reason they wanted me,” I said, and giggled. “Sorry, I do that a lot, part-and-parcel of being a permanent 17 year-old,” I finished.

~~Ghods, I hope they don’t think about what I just said. ~~

“Sam warned us you’re an odd one, but then Whateley is full of odd people,” Harry said and laughed. It would have been funnier if not for his fierce looks.

“You’ll take some getting used to, Harry. I wasn’t sure whether to laugh along or run in terror when you laughed just now. By the way, I think the gray fur suits you -- very Brooks Brothers in a Brothers Grimm way.

"Jinn, tell your sister I’d like her input. Nice outfit, Girl. I take it Harry had something to do with it; your mechanical hands are surprisingly nimble,“ I said, noticing her entering something in a PDA, at least I thought it was a PDA. “But Fran’s the truly scary one here. All those greens and browns; you look like a refugee from the Girl Scouts, though in your case it’s the Girl Scouts of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit edition. Goes to show, clothes don’t have to be flashy to be attractive,” I said, and smiled.

“And that’s coming from Miss July? Harry, Sam was right; this gals a loony. We’ll get along fine, Joanie,” Fran said in a tone that could charm the birds out of the trees.

We talked over wages, settled on a figure, and drove back to campus with Jinn flying wingman to my truck.

* * * *

By Friday evening, I had tried the patience of my friends, but was well prepped for my duties. I told them so at a small party they threw for me in Tom and Tina’s dorm room.

“Joanie, here’s to you! May you conquer the silver screen as you have conquered the music business,” Tina said as we raised our ginger-ales on high.

“It’s only a science special; we’re not talking Cecil B. DeMille here,“ I said.

“Don’t stop me, Joanie, I’m on a roll,“ Tina said, and giggled softly. “I mean it, Joanie, you will make it big in the movies; it stands to reason,“ Tina said seriously.

“What my sister means is that you had no intention of being a singer and entertainer. It all started by accident at the birthday party with the Karaoke. That was last September; your first CD was released on Halloween. It’s only six months later and you’re the biggest thing on the charts, no one is close. I’ve listened to your CD’s and seen you sing, both on TV and in person. As good as you sound, it’s better when we can watch you sing. That’s not just because you’re so beautiful; you light up the stage. If you can translate that to acting, you’ll need that new house of yours to hold all the Oscars you’ll win,” Tom said, smiling confidently.

“It’s just a narration and hosting job, that’s all. I have no plans to be an actress. Let up, would you, please? Given my mutant *baggage*, who would want me for an actress?” I pleaded.

By the end of the party, I healed any frayed nerves I’d given my friends from helping me rehearse for the mini series. I had been obsessed with my preparations, but they forgave me. I promised them similar favors should they need them in future. I got a good night's rest and left at dawn for Boston, having made arrangements for Pinky to take care of my Mighty Mewing Mastodon Maulers.

~~Ghod I love alliteration. ~~

* * * *

April 28, 2007

I drove my truck to the Boston PBS studios. The executive producer of NOVA had sent me detailed directions and a map to help me navigate Boston’s confusing road network, along with a picture of herself so I could identify her. She met me in the secure parking garage that serviced the facility, a post 4-01 requirement — the Fools Fight -- and made stricter since 9-11.

“Ms. Brown, thank you for coming. Are you familiar with your script?”

I recited several minutes’ worth of my lines in response. She looked pleased with my effort.

“I’m taking this hosting seriously. I want mutants to be portrayed honestly, so I’ve put considerable effort into my preparations,” I said.

“The staff at 'A Prairie Home Companion' said you were a quick study; they weren’t kidding. If you are as familiar with the rest of your lines, we should get all this done in a few weekends,” she said, smiling.

“I intend to give it my best. I do have selfish motives, as I am a mutant myself, but I also value honesty. I don’t want us sugar-coated or demonized; I want the straight, unvarnished truth,” I said as seriously as I could.

“We pride ourselves on fairness and accuracy, Ms. Brown. Is there anything I can do for you before we start?” she asked.

“Yes, call me Joanie. When I hear Ms. Brown I half expect to see my late mother. I’m plain, old, Joanie, or you can call me your High exulted majesty, the Devine Goddess of Womanhood if you like,” I said and giggled uncontrollably for a while. The executive producer didn’t blink an eye.

“Are you always so somber? You need to lighten up, your Majesty,” she replied.

“That’s your high exalted majesty, peon!” I barked.

We both got the giggles and walked while propping each other up as we traveled down the corridor to the studios.

~~We’re going to get along fine. ~~

* * * *

She introduced me to the mini-series producer and the production team. We spent hours going over the script then shot test footage in the afternoon. They were pleased with the results, and said we could start the actual filming tomorrow. We went over some of the technical aspects of the green screen and the off-screen narration. This went on into the early evening, then we broke for supper.

I suspected I might be wined-and-dined so I packed a few things. I wore my favorite, the LBD from Eric’s school dance, and added an off-white cashmere cardigan. I finished it off with sparkly hose, heels, and an art-nouveau diamond earring and bracelet set in platinum. If I was going on display for the Boston blue-bloods, I was going well armed. I was driven to a seriously upscale restaurant located in one of Boston’s classiest hotels. The executive and mini-series producers were waiting and introduced me to our dining companions, one of whom I recognized immediately.

~~What is he doing in Boston? ~~

I was not one for intrigue tonight. This was way too coincidental.

~~I smell a set-up. ~~

“David Tennant, what are you doing in Bean-Town?” I asked in a cheerful voice. “You didn’t travel in that big blue box did you?”

The entire table stared at me, David and the other man laughed.

“I’m a long-time Doctor Who fan, so sue me,“ I finished.

“The gentleman with Mr. Tennant is an executive producer with BBC Wales. We do cooperative ventures; the NOVA mini series on mutants is one example,” my executive producer explained.

“So David is here to help narrate, this is such a treat. Do we get to work together?” I asked, smiling, but I suspected they were here for other reasons. I was nervous with anticipation -- or was it arousal?

~~I took the bait, guys, set the hook already. ~~

“You watch Doctor Who?” David asked, surprised.

“Absolutely, I’ve been a fan for years and have watched the new series within hours of it premiering in England. Amazing what you can get off the Web these days. Oh, and I didn’t do it myself, that could be illegal. I have a commercial set of the first season of the new series at home,” I said.

They are at my sister's house, as they are hers, but they didn’t need to know that.

“Would you like to see us filming?” the BBC executive asked.

“In England, I mean Wales? I haven’t been overseas since my mutation, but I do have my mutant card and passport. To be honest, I’ve only been as far as Canada and Hawaii.”

~~Bless you for thinking of that last item, GG; I never would have. ~~

I couldn’t stand it anymore.

“You’re here to ask me to make a cameo appearance on Doctor Who,” I accused them, but smiled.

“That was our intention,” started the BBC exec.

~~What? Uh-oh, Joanie! No, no, no, no, no …~~

“The official cover for our trip is David and I are here to attend a Doctor Who/science-fiction convention to promote the series. The true purpose of our trip was to persuade you to do a cameo, but that has changed. Our current lead actress, the Doctor’s companion, was in a traffic accident a few days ago and won’t be fully mobile for months; she broke her hip. Mr. Hefner sent us videos of your interview and campus photo shoot along with news footage of your more public exploits. We received this prior to her accident. That was why we wanted to do the cameo. After her accident, we were scrambling to find a replacement when David suggested we look at you again,“ he explained.

“You want me to be a companion in the series?” I asked, not at all happy. A tiny piece of my mind was ecstatic, most of the rest was aghast.

“You’re not interested, Ms. Brown? It is only for the last three episodes,” David asked.

“Of course I’m interested, but how would we pull it off? I have responsibilities to my employer, my students, and my friends at school. What would I say to them, ‘Sorry, off to Great Britain, ta-ta?’ I don’t treat friends like that. I feel bad enough being here for a few weekends to record for NOVA, and I’m a few hours drive from the academy here,” I said in an indignant tone.

“We will accommodate your schedule as much as possible. It is only the last three episodes and the necessary scenes could be completed in two weeks of hard shooting. If you agree, we intend to rewrite the script with your talents in mind,” the BBC exec explained.

~~I have a bad feeling about this. I’d better check it out. ~~

“How skimpy a bikini will I be almost wearing?” I asked. “I remember Nicola Bryant and her string bikini; I never imagined I’d be the next companion you stuck in one of those tiny suits,” I said.

“We were thinking more along the line of you singing or maybe doing a variation on the soda can demonstration but considering the Playboy materials …” The producer got this wicked grin on his face.

~~Me and my big mouth! ~~ Among other things.

* * * *

To be continued

AttachmentSize
Microsoft Office document icon Timeout_3_chapter_13_proofed_4.doc108 KB
up
130 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Just a little eerie

Of all of the powers, I think Suzy's power is the most eerie.
I frankly find the ability to copy cat something is a bit
like stealing. The person being imitated kinda loses a bit of their
individuality and uniqueness and the borrower is sorely tempted
to abuse that ability. Movies or tv shows where someone steals another
person's identity has always been creepy to me.

I do hope that it turns out that Suzy's ability to imitate Joanie's
powers is very limited or totally crippled Suzy is a teenager and teenagers frankly do not have good judgement and for her to in a moment of emotional
pique do something stupid and potential irreparable in the time stream. Joanie has been characterized accurately to have lapses of judgement at times
but luckily she is in reality a much mentally older person.

I know that the series tends to look very much on the more optimistic
side of things. However, not facing the fact that they should be personified as having their own potential or real character defects would be unrealistic.

Other things that seem unaddressed are problems that may reasonably happen; having her home besieged by papparazzi, her children harassed etc.
Whateley is not a fortress and Joanie's fame may spill over into the
lives of other mutants unintentially. The school in their own interests
would rightly ask Joanie to leave under those circumstances.

Kim

On Further Thought

One further thought. I think it would be interesting for Joanie
to figure out how to BLOCK a mimic from borrowing any of her powers.
A hypothetical scenario would have Joanie being kidnapped and have
an evil mimic be brought in to take her place. In the process,
the evil mimic discovers her time travel powers. Not a good
situation to say the least. The storyline has so far given a good
( within the context of the story ) rationale of her physical
resilience but her other vulnerabilities are ripe for future
story lines.

Kim

Hum?

Interesting points.

The flipant answer would be for Joanie to concentrate on one *particular* aspect of herself if she was captured. I don't think the *bad guys* would want to copy her libedo.

As to being found out by the press. Whateley has been around 40 years yet there have been few incidences of attacts on the campus. They do get the FBI, CIA, NSA recruters and such but incidents a few and due to insider information. The area around Whateley values the business it brings them and is quite protective.

In the canon stories Tenyo was a latent mimic who was subjected to the last known sample of the original Ultra-X-Amine by her younger brother who didn't know he was a mutant. He thought the stuff would hypnotize his older brother. He told him to be Ryuko, his favorite female anime character and the mimic power saved Billy from being killed by converting all that energy into turning him into as real a copy of Ryuko as his mind could imagine. The mimic power consumed itself in the process.

Someone trying to capture Joanie for he powers is a serious risk. There is at least one sick bastard of a doctor doing that in the canon stories. Ayla Goodkind and Samantha Everheart ended up at Whateley do to this man or his assistants.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

WHO'd a thought!

I knew Joanie was giggles-silly, but dragging in that second-rate British spec. fic. is sinking pretty low, even for her!

And what the heck is this? "post 4-01 requirement – the Fools Fight --" Fools in Boston? Say it ain't so, Joe!

Karen J.

"A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to want to take it off you."
Francoise Sagan


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Fools Fight

The Fool's Fight is from the canon story line.

A super hero(s) and super villan(s) battle it out at the Brooklyn Bridge, killing each other(s) and distroying lots of property while killing many civilans. This led to calls in public and government -- inclding the UN -- for regulations and registration of mutants. Thus the hated MCO -- Mutant Control Organization -- if I have the acryonm right. 9-11 occured because the supers who help protect NYC were deverted away by some diabloical plan. Bru-ha-ha-ha!

Karen, I had little choice. Blake's Seven is long out of production and SG1 or Atlantis, yuck! The new Battle Star Galacia?

Anyway's, as to "that second-rate British spec. fic." It does allow the gag about, "Wow, Doctor, it really IS bigger in the inside than the outside." I'm refering to the TARDIS. Yeah, that's the ticket. And thousands of CGI Daleks are cool.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

No wonder Google didn't work

I tried Googling 4/1 and Boston and Fool's Fight, now I know why it didn't come up with anything.

Nah, there's no good sci-fi on Tv right now. The new BSG is nothing but a rip-off of the old show. I'd like to see the original Battlestar Gallactica all over again, I was waitressing evenings when it first appeared and didn't get to see them all. But does Joanie really need all this public exposure? I kinda agree, even with all the mutants in residence at Whately, continually bringing it into the public eye can't be good. Especially given that there seems to be a public backlash against mutants. Joanie is just too high profile for her own good, it could blow up on her some day. ;-)

Karen J.

"A dress makes no sense unless it inspires men to want to take it off you."
Francoise Sagan


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Joanie fans

I am really amazed!! This is a great series!!!
I stumbled onto your writing of Time Out with the Born Free parody.. After reading that,.I just had to read more from you!
Kinda shocked that other readers haven't chimed in more...Guess most are stuck in some endless loop type life in which they are unable to appreciate oldies that are goodies! ; )

alissa