Allergies Suck - Chapter 6 - Part 9-10

Printer-friendly version

Allergies Suck - Chapter VI
by Barbara Lynn Terry

Part IX - Shopping, talking, last minute details.

Time goes by really fast when you are having fun. With all of the shopping, and eating out, and school, the time for the twelve to fourteen year old dance was here. Tonight Dennis would come and take me to the dance. I have never been to a dance like this one, but his mother and father were going to be there. Hillman is just over the county line about twenty four miles from our house. The VFW post is right there as you come in to town. It looks small on the outside, but I am told it has a banquet room with a big floor they use for dances.

Mom and I spent the whole day getting ready. Mom took me to her salon and had me given the works. I got a nice teenage make over (no eye makeup), a really nice hair do, and I even got a massage, finger and toe nails, and a waxing. OH ... MY ... GAWD ... When I felt the material of my stockings and slip next to my skin, I felt like I was in heaven. Then when we had spent the entire morning at the salon, we still had a few last minute things to get. I needed another purse for my turquoise party dress, and another pair of shoes. Let me tell you about my hair though.

When I looked in the mirror after mom was done, my hair was in an upsweep, and there was even a decorative turquoise comb at the top back. The blue/green butterfly barettes were an added bonus to the whole look. The lip stick mom used was a light pink, just enough to give my lips some color. After everything was done at the salon, and I saw myself in the full length mirror, I was blown away. I looked like I was at least sixteen.

Anyway, we ended up in J.C. Penny's shoe department and mom had me try on several pair of dress shoes. There was one pair that was kind of turquoise, but it also sparkled when you moved around in the light. Just what Dr. Mom ordered. There was another pair of dress shoes too that were silver, and they also sparkled. Mom got me both pairs. Then we looked at purses. I needed something chic but not so as it would stand out. Something to match my dress. We found a really nice shiny purse that could pass for turquoise even though it was a light blue. At least it would match my dress. Mom paid for the shoes and the purse, and then we decided to take my things home, and then go out to eat, because if we cooked at home, I could get my party clothes dirty.

We went to Mader's German restaurant at the corner of North Third Street and West Highland Avenue, downtown. Mader's is a really nice restaurant, and the waitresses are dressed in German style uniforms. They also serve cocktails there too. Mom ordered what looked like a bratwurst with hot potato salad...kinda. I just had roast beef with baked potato and green beans. Mom worked here when she wasn't working at the salon, so we kinda got an employee discount. Marie, one of mom's friends saw us and came over and talked for a bit.

"Marian, I thought you wanted to stay away from here unless you were working."

"Hi Marie. I wanted to treat Billie to something special and we were downtown anyway."

"Well, Billie, I must say. You look so much better dressed this way than in those old tattered tomboy clothes."

"Thank you, Marie. I'm going to a twelve to fourteen year old dance tonight at the VFW in Hillman."

"Oh that's right! That dance is tonight. Janie is going to be a chaperone there, because her husband is a member of that post. Is there someone special that is taking you?"

"His name is Dennis and his mother is taking us. His father belongs to that post too and his mother is in the ladies auxillary."

"Well, you will have to come back and tell me how it went. I want details girlfriend, because inquiring minds want to know." We all giggled and a few of the customers looked at us.

Marie had to go and wait on other customers, and we just sat there enjoying our meal and talking.

"Honey, when you are with Dennis, just remember to act like a lady, and never allow him to put his hands where they don't belong."

"I won't, mother. I am hoping that by the end of the dance, that he won't have to stumble over his tongue any more, like he has been doing. Remember when we met him at the beach? He acted like I would break if he touched me. He stuttered and stammered, trying to find the right words. His dad had to invite me to the dance."

"Some boys are like that, men too. They see a pretty girl and they don't know how to act. It's like they forgot how to walk, talk and chew bubble gum at the same time." We both giggled. "But Dennis seems to be nice. I will come to the post in my car. You go with Dennis, because he is your escort. It is also proper for him to bring a corsage that he will put on your left wrist. Just like going to the prom. When he puts the corsage on your left wrist, give him a small peck on the cheek. That is your way of saying thank you. I have a feeling young lady, that Dennis and you are more than a rumor. I would be willing to say you are a real item and that when you two are together, you have a lot of fun."

"I don't know, because we haven't really been together much, except at lunch time. Then he sits by us and he just eats while we talk. We try to get him to talk, but he hesitates too much and can't seem to find the words."

"Oh, I know how that is. Before I met your father, I had a few boyfriends that did the same thing."

"Mother, do you think I am too young to have a boyfriend?"

"Well, in my day, they called it puppy love, because they said we were too young to know what love really is. But when you get these funny feelings in your tummy, when your head spins when you are together, when your mouth feels dry, and you are stammering, then dear, it is love. There is no certain age to fall in love. All you have to do is feel it deep inside. When you can do that, and you can't stop thinking about him, it is love. So, when he picks you up, get him talking so he feels confident with you and doesn't do that hesitating and stammering thing boys do."

"I will, mother. Mother, what do I do if he wants to kiss me?"

"If it looks like he wants to kiss you on the lips, just turn your head sideways so his kiss is on your cheek instead. I am driving over in our car, and you will be with him. When he puts the corsage on your wrist and then crooks his albow slightly, put your hand on his arm, and let him walk you to their car. When I look at you, I see a young woman. You aren't a girl any more, even if you are only twelve years old. I have something I want to ask you. When the boys picked on you at school, did any of them ever hit you?"

"No mom. They just called me shorty and kept asking when was I going to grow up. They don't know about genes and heredity."

"You take after me in the height and slight department. Well anyway, I guess you have the rest of your life to figure out what is what."

We were finished with our dinner and started for home. When we got to the house, we went to my room and put my things away. Then we went downstairs to talk and watch a little television.

"You know what, dear? Your hair looks nice like it is, but I think we can do a little bit better. Let me get my setting things." She wasn't gon long, when she came back with her case. "Girls these days are wearing their hair a little on the wild side. So what I want to do is, give you a few tendrils hanging off the sides from your bangs. and then an immaculate pony tail. Then you will have a twelve year old girl's hair style."

She messed with my hair for about forty five minutes, and then the doorbell rang. It was Dennis. He was early, and his mother was with him. So while Dennis and I sat in the living room, our mothers went in the kitchen and talked.

"Billie, I really would like to talk ... to ... you ..."

"What about, Dennis?"

"About ... uhm ... well I ..."

"Dennis, I don't bite, and I don't have sharp teeth. I will wait for you to say what you want to say."

"I just ... wanted to know ... if ... you uhm ... wanted to ... go ...sssstead ... ssssteady?"

"I would love to go steady with you, Dennis. I think though we need to tell our parents and see what they think. I had asked my mom if I was too young to have a boyfriend, and she just kind of said that I have to make my own decision but I am to behave like a lady when I am with a boy" We got up and went in the kitchen.

"Mom, Dennis and I have something to ask you and his mom."

"What, dear?"

"Dennis you're the boy so you tell them"

"Can Billie and I ... uhm ... go ... uhm ... you know."

"Dennis, we talked about this. All you have to do is say it fast."

"Yes, mom. Would it be alright if Billie and ... I ... went ... sssstead ... sssstead ... ssssteady?"

"Well, I have no objections, if Billie's mother hasn't any."

"I had asked my mom if I was too young to have a boyfriend, and she just told me to remember what we talked about. She said all I have to do is be a lady."

"Your mother is right, young lady. You follow what she says, and you won't end up in girl trouble." I felt the heat in my face that said I was blushing.

"I have no objections, Billie, as long as you remember what we talked about that is proper conduct for a girl when she is with a boy. Dennis, when you are with Billie, you treat her with respect at all times. Going steady doesn't mean you have to experiment with sex, or hang out at lover's lane until two in the morning. What going steady means is, that you two like each other and want to be in each other's company. Going for a burger and fries, and maybe a movie. Dennis, I know you are shy around girls, but there is one thing you must never do, unless you are old enough and married. You must never put your hands under her dress or skirt, and you must never put your hands on her chest either. You may hug and kiss each other on the cheek, but never on the lips, at least for now.

"You are a nice boy, Dennis, and Billie is a nice girl, and your parents and I would like to keep it that way. Do you understand what I just said, the both of you?"

"Yes, mother, and maybe I can get Dennis over his stuttering and stammering when he is with me."

"Yes, Mrs. James."

"Good, well, it is getting on time that you left."

"Wait, Billie, I have something I want to ... uhm ... give you." He left and came back a couple of minutes later, carrying a small box.

He opened the box, and took out a pink rose corsage. "Miss James, will you let me ... uhm ... escort ... you ... uhm to the ...uhm ... dance?" He placed the corsage on my left wrist.

"Yes, Dennis, you may escort me to the dance."

"Are you going to be there, Marian?"

"Yes, I am driving over in my car. I only wish my late husband were here to see his little girl and her escort."

Part X - The Dance.

As Dennis escorted me to his mother's car, he told me that I looked very pretty and wanted to know if we could go to a movie next weekend. I just looked at him with a coy smile I had seem mom use now and then, and told him I would love to. He opened the passenger rear door, and I sat down, smoothing the skirt of my gown and then grasping the right side of the gown and bringing it in the car. He closed the door, and went around to the strret side, and got in. His mother, making sure we were all buckled in, started the car and we headed for Hillman.

It took us eighteen minutes to get to Hillman, and the parking lot was filled so we had to park where the sidewalk would be if there was one. I waited for Dennis to open the car door, and offer me his hand. As I stepped out of the car, he offered me his arm again, and we went in. The music was loud, and there were others our age just having a good time. Dennis took me over to the buffet table and got us each a cup of punch. We just stood there watching the others dancing to a song by an English group called the Darkness. They were considered hard rock but they did play other songs from what some called moldy oldies. The song they were just finishing was called "Love Is Only A Feeling". This was a local group that played a lot of different music from everything from country to rock and roll. I wasn't finished with my punch, when Dennis decided we should dance to the next song. The next song was Lady Ga Ga song called "Born This Way" and I thought it was appropriate that the first song of the very first dance I had ever gone to, would be one about identity. I love Lady Ga Ga, and Avril Lavigne, and Dido. The next song we sat out and Dennis wanted to know if I wanted something nibble on; only it cam out like this.

"Billie ... uhm ... would you ... would you ... like me ... uhm ... to get ... uhm you ... uhm"

"What are you trying to say Dennis?"

"Do ... you ... uhm ... want ... something ... something to ..." He made eating motions with his hands.

"Do I want a snack? Yes, Dennis, I would love for you to get me a snack."

He got up and brought back a few chocolate chip cookies, my favorite, and another cup of punch. We sat there enjoying our snack, when Dennis put his hand on my arm. I set my cookie down, and put my left hand on his. We sat there looking at each other. I looked at his eyes, and they seemed to sparkle in the room lights. His eyes were a very clear sky blue, and when he smiled, his eyes seemed to dance. I smiled, and I seemed to be drawn to him. I got just so close, then I backed away, shyly and demurely. I hastily put my arm he was holding in my lap.

"Is there something ... uhm ... wrong ... Billie?"

"No, Dennis. It's just that I, we're too, I mean we should just be children and leave all the love things to the adults. We're only twelve years old, and we need to be friends until we can be old enough to marry."

"I ... ok Billie."

"Dennis, I need to ask you how come it is that you are wide open with your friends, but when you are around girls you get very shy and stammer when you talk?"

"I don't ... know."

"Well, look, you don't need to stammer when you talk. I don't bite, and other girls would like to around you too, if you didn't stammer so much."

"I will ... uhm ... try."

"Come on, Dennis, they're playing another song."

He got up, and offered me his arm, and led me out to the dance floor. This song was from the 1950's and was by Bill Haley and the Comets. Of course I had to agree with them though. Rock and roll is here to stay. I couldn't help but feel that he had been coached for tonight's dance. But I was very happy that he was acting like a real gentleman. When we got to the dance floor, we started dancing really fast, and Dennis surprised me as to how strong he was. With all of the lifting me, twirling me, and spinning me, he didn't miss his timing. Whoever taught him to dance, did very well.

We sat out the next two dances and just talked, or I should say that I talked.

"Dennis, I noticed that while you were doing the gymnastics tryouts on the dance floor with me, you never dropped me, and your timing was perfect. How come?"

"My mother wanted me to learn how to dance, to get over my shyness. She said if I learned how to dance well, I would get a girlfriend in no time."

"But Dennis, we're only twelve years old."

"How young is too young?"

"You have a point."

"Billie, will you ... be ... be ..."

"Dennis, stop stammering now. You were doing very well telling how you learned to dance so well. Now you are stammering again. Why is that?"

"Because I was just answer ... ing ... your ... question."

"So, when I don't ask you about your family, or question about how you know things, you just stammer."

"Yes."

"Well, I would like you to do something forme, Dennis. I would like for you to talk slow, without stammering, when you are talking to me. My mother always told me that if you have trouble saying something that you are embarrassed saying, then say it fast. That is what I want you to do."

"I will try."

"There, you did it. From now on when you say something to me, say it fast."

"Okay."

"Dennis, I know how you can get used to me. We can go bowling tomorrow."

"I would like ... that."

"C'mon stud, let's dance."

He offered me his arm and led me out to the dance floor. I was so focused on Dennis I hadn't even seen his parents or my mother there. This song was Beyond The Sea by Bobby Darin and Dennis held me close. I put my head on his chest, and we just dance, or I should say I let him dance while I just let him lead me here and there. I wasn't aware the song was even over until he sat in my chair and pushed me in toward the table a little more. That was when mom came over.

"Well, that glassy, far away look tells me my baby girl is in love. Honey, are you having fun?"

"Yes, I ... huh? Mom! I'm sorry, I was still listening to the song."

"Yes, I could see that. Dennis, you have behaved like a gentleman. Your parents and I were watching you two all night. Billie the look you have on your face tells me your feelings for Dennis are more than what they used to call puppy love. So I requested a song for the both of you. It's by Paul Anka who was every girl's dream when I was young. This song is called Puppy Love."

Mom no sooner said that and the band began playing. Dennis got up and took me to the dance floor. We danced, and danced all through the song. How we ended up by the door is beyond, me, but mom just smiled so we went out by the car and looked at the moon. Our parents came out and joined us. Then his dad said something I wasn't sure the "old folks" even remembered.

"I remember, Dennis, when your mother and I were dating. We used to take a blanket with us, and just lie down on the ground and look up at the stars. Of course, we saw different stars too, and we had a lot of fun. You two remind us of those days."

We stayed outside for a while, and our parents decided to go back inside. Dennis gave me a quick kiss on the mouth.

"Billie, we should ... get back ... to ...the uhm ... dance."

There he goes again. I wish there was someway I could get him to stop his stammering when he talks to me. He was doing so good too. We went back inside and they were playing a fast song I hadn't heard before. Dennis led me out to the floor and and I swear we tore around that floor like twin tornados. When the music stopped, Dennis went to get us a cup of punch. When he came back, and we had rested enough, the leader of the band said that we had time for one more dance and wanted toknow if there were any requests. Dennis' dad shouted "I did it my way by Elvis Presley". They started the song, asnd Dennis led me around the floor again. This time, though, he kissed me on my lips. I thought about this for a moment. Dennis mus know more than me, because he is the same age as I am. I will talk to mom about this when we get home. The song ended and the band thanked us all for coming. Everybody then headed to their cars, and I was again escorted out by my escort Dennis, and we drove back in his mom's car.

During the ride home, I put my head on his shoulder and just snuggled next to him. He kept one arm around the back of my head, and we just rode home in silence. When we got to my house, Dennis got out and walked me to the door. He kissed my hand as he said he had enjoyed himself a lot, and then left. I watched him go, and as his mom turned the corner, I went inside. Mom was right behind us, so she should be driving up any time now. I giggled when I heard her car and said softly to myself; "no sooner said, than done". She came inside and we both sat in the kitchen.

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Allergies Suck - Chapter 6 - Part 9 - 10

Young Love, Sweet Love. I do hope that they wait.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Been There

Your statement about Mader's German Restaurant, on N. 3rd St. and Highland Ave, makes me think that this story is set in Kilbourn Town where Byron Kilbourn settled in 1834 (not to be confused with Kilbourn City which was located on the Shores of Lake Dalton).

stuttering

poor kid. It seems a total confidence thing, so maybe he can overcome it.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Both Billie and Dennis seem

Both Billie and Dennis seem made for each other, right now. As they are both in school, there may be a time when one or both will decide to break off from the other and move on to another girl or boy friend. If they do that, I do hope that they will remain really good friends. Looking forward to more chapters soon.

Oh.... Is that it?

PennyElaine
Sigh... Tthat was wonderful! Thankyou. Pity it stopped there, or is it? Billie'd be a gym-slip mother at this rate, if it didn't i guess. But i am confident that her body is not that of a normal boy, any more than her mind is... So, come on, dear, tell us more? Please?
This is one of those un-put-downable stories! Again, thank you very much.

PennyElaine