The Easter Story

Printer-friendly version

The Easter Story

by Maggie O'Malley

Chatroom friends all over the world meet in real life for an Easter celebration which includes an The Easter Story by Maggie O'Malley

It had begun as a cyber-dream over three months ago. No one remembers who actually started the whole thing, but everyone wished there was a way to make it happen. Sadly though it was impossible or at least impossible in the real world; so they thought.

It was shortly after the Christmas holidays when the regulars who frequented a particular transgender chatroom got together for a late night chat. It's a very special place where people come to share, and what they share is as diverse as the people who enter.

Some come to share their thoughts about stories they've read, and seek opinions on stories they are writing. Some share their wisdom in life with those who seek it. Some share the small joys in their everyday lives and some come to seek solace in sharing their pain with friends who understand and care.

Warm hugs are always kept in abundant supply and shared freely with all who enter. It's also a safe haven to share one's deepest wishes, wants and dreams, to share your very souls if you will. Some of them being gender-challenged souls and sadly for many of them the chatroom is the only place their spirits can be free, free from bodies that don't fit, ages that don't fit, and lives that don't fit. In short, this internet connection, allows souls and lives to connect, and the love and magic created in this cyber world goes a long way toward making their real world much more livable.

The regulars who frequent this special place have become a family of sorts, if not by birth, truly then by the love and caring they share. Some have even taken the idea of being family a bit further by adopting each other so to speak. For some it's a chance to have the sister they never had, or be the sister they never got the chance to be. For some it's a chance to be part of the kind of family they always dreamed of, but never got the chance and sadly probably never will.

Family by the very definition of the word includes a wide variety of relationships: husbands and wives, sisters and brothers, and even mothers and fathers. Well ... if you have parents then it only goes to follow you have children and those are plentiful in this family too.

Mothers cursed by the XY chromosome and denied the most sacred of all women's right's, the ability to bear children, are no longer barren in this family.

Children, some trapped in the wrong gender, all lost in adult bodies and worlds that don't fit, finally could snuggle happily in the warmth and love found only in a mother's arms.

Those who embraced this idea of family, and those who were just content to be friends of the family met regularly in the chat room. Some went a step beyond the computer screen, and shared phone conversations, while a few even traveled to meet each other, savoring real life hugs and a few stolen moments before returning again to their worlds and their places in front of the computer.

For most though, their health, their finances, their real life commitments, and their distances from others or for some their own fears would never allow them to be able to physically meet these souls they've grown to love.

Christmas being a time for families, really brought home just how much this chatroom had become a home for these souls that had grown to love each other as much as any real life family. Still, they were scattered all over the world and nearly all of them dreamed about how wonderful it would be if they could meet in the real world, ALL OF THEM, if only for a weekend or a single day.

It was a dream, a dream shared by all, but hopelessly impossible in the real world. Impossible though isn't in a cyber-world dictionary and one night somebody started a "what if". "What if we really all could meet?" became the chat topic. It took off like wild fire and everyone started contributing ideas on how to make the impossible, possible.

The first thing decided was the place. Since family and friends were scattered worldwide, the meeting place would need to be centrally located, a major metropolis with easy access to air and land travel. The general consensus was New York City, which pleased Shelly, a native New Yorker as well as a chatroom mother and sister, because it would allow her to play hostess.

With the “where” out of the way, "when" became the next topic. Since holidays are a time when families most feel the need to be close, they decided to plan the event around one. Of course, save for Christmas, few holidays are celebrated worldwide so trying to find one for all of them to share was almost impossible.

After much debate the consensus was Easter. Not everyone celebrated it the same, certainly not the religious aspects of it, but all were familiar with it. It was also considered a good choice because it held something special for the adults and the children. It was an excuse for the women and mothers to melt a little plastic on purchasing new outfits for themselves and the kids, and for the men to loosen their belts a bit at the huge Sunday feast.

It was a very special holiday for children, second to only Christmas, as gifts would await them when they awoke Easter morn. They even got to be Easter bunny helpers, coloring eggs for the overworked rabbit on the night before. Then while they slept, Peter Cottontail would leave them baskets full of candied delights in exchange for a few of their colored eggs. Sometimes the playful rabbit would make the children work for their treats, by hiding the eggs and candies among the grasses in a backyard or park. The children would then take their empty baskets and go on a "seek and find" mission known as the Easter Egg Hunt.

These expeditions usually resulted in as much fun for the participants as it did for the parents and family who watched the little treasure hunters go at it. Finally, and maybe most importantly, Easter was in the spring. Spring is a time of rebirth where the Earth awakes from its winter long slumbers, and for many of the souls, the chatroom and the family, has been a rebirth for them as well. It's their second chance in life to finally live and belong, as the souls they have always truly been.

With where and when decided, the real impossible dream began: HOW? How in the real world could every one be brought together in a single place on a single weekend? For a few, it was as simple as driving or catching a flight in, but for others it would take a minor miracle and sadly for some it was entirely impossible. Still, in the face of certain defeat, the movers and shakers in the room began working on ways to make it happen. It's been said that with love anything is possible, and there was no shortage of love in this cyber-world, so they tried to make a miracle.

It all started with those who were well off financially offering to help with the travel expenses of those less fortunate, and then incredibly, it began rolling like a single snowball down hill that eventually led to an avalanche. Over the next three months the Goddess seemed to smile on these souls, as miracles, both minor and major, began happening. Those who thought they could not get away suddenly were given the holiday time. Those, whose health had been too poor to consider a trip, suddenly improved enough to make it possible. One by one the obstacles were overcame and the commitments begin coming in. By the first of March, the impossible was becoming possible. The Easter Family Get Together was on!

The week before Easter the chatroom was filled with the anticipation usually saved for the night before Christmas. Shelly, in another stroke of good fortune, was able to secure hotel accommodations for all at a reasonably priced establishment who assured her that her party would have the entire place to their selves this weekend as her reservations had filled every room they had. This eased the anxieties of the few who expressed some concerns about public acceptance of how they dressed or behaved. They would be among friends and family only now. They could truly be themselves.

Another attribute of this particular hotel, was its being very close to the meadow and woods where Shelly had gotten her inspiration to write an "Evil Witch" story about unicorns. She loved going there as she always felt strong magic in this special place. She couldn't wait to show it to the family and she smiled impishly as realized it would be the perfect place to hold an Easter egg hunt for the little ones. She knew as soon as Jenna and her other sisters saw it, they too would agree.

Finally the weekend came, and Shelly asked everyone to meet at LaGuardia airport, even those who were driving. It was the only way to assure no one got lost and it made for an incredible hug fest each time a friend or family member arrived or came through the arrival gate.

It was going to be a long day for everyone, especially Shelly, the hostess, as the first flights arriving began at 4:00 a.m. and the final stragglers would be getting in late that afternoon. Prue the beautiful kiwi queen and talented authoress from New Zealand was the first to arrive. When she stepped past the arrivals gate she scanned the crowd searching for a sign. Since few people had ever actually seen each other and therefore perhaps wouldn't recognize each other on sight, Shelly had told everyone she'd be waving a sign to remove any doubt of who she was or that she was there to collect them.

Prue panned the crowd, stopping only momentarily to read the hand held signs and then beamed a broad smile at a woman holding a 2' by 3' poster. On the lower right hand corner of the poster was a photocopy of the Evil Witch picture Shelly's daughter Maggie had colored for her, complete with the multi-colored waist length hair. There was no doubt the woman holding the sign was Shelly. In the center of poster was a picture of what appeared to be two ladybugs hugging each other and a smiling moose watching the pair. The bugs were the mascots for a series of stories Prue and other authors collaborated on called Hugglebugs. The "moose" was Maggie's nickname for her Auntie Prue's magical muse that whispered stories to the acclaimed writer. There was no doubt who this sign was for, and Prue quickly closed the distance between her and her sister and the pair meet in a long and happy tearful embrace.

Others began arriving via ground and air. Jenna and Cathleen, mother and daughter in the cyber-world arrived as such in the real one as they'd met in Dallas and caught the flight in together. Jenna and Cathleen's sign consisted of the Little Mermaid, a pan of brownies and a bar of soap with an X drawn over it. Jenna's love of bath water and baking brownies rivaled only that of Cathleen's love of eating those brownies and her aversion to the bath that followed. When the pair saw Shelly holding that sign, there was no doubt that it was intended for them.

Each arrival via ground or air was met with warm heartfelt hugs and happy tears. Over the next twelve hours, family from all corners of the globe made their way through the gate: Prince Admiral Lynx from Denmark, Huggybear and Cathy T from Australia, Isabelle from Spain, Christy from Canada, and the Scotsman from his native Scotland. British Airways flight 007 from London was near capacity as Elsa, Sara, Ally, Emma, Samantha Rebecca, Karen, Cat and lil Allie made the pond jump.

Besides the international arrivals, you had the domestic ones by both car and air. Misty with her mother and sisters made it in shortly after lunch. The resident chatroom angel, Angel O'Hare flew in shortly there after. Kim, Pickle and Piper, the three "Jorsie" musketeers rolled in and were followed by Kimmie who was the first to pounce on her daughter Allie from England and never left her side afterwards. Holly arrived sans any luggage, claiming the airlines considered her massive breasts as two carry on items. Charissa, the lovely "Goddess of Star Fire" who risked her life in Iraq, was welcomed home by those who had prayed for her safe return.

Every time a friend or family member entered it was special moment for all, but if one stood out perhaps above the others, it was Richard's arrival from Canada. Richard, Rick or "Uncle Ricky" as most of the little ones call him, was loved and respected by all those who knew him. He was a loving and generous man whose heart was as big as his mountain man's body. He had been a long time friend of another special chatroom soul named Rebecca Anne Stewart, known affectionately as Becky. She was a talented writer, a beautiful woman and an adorable little girl all rolled into one. Sadly her time on this earth had been far too short as she’d succumbed to cancer nearly a year ago. Richard had stayed by Becky's side throughout her battle. Because of this brave knight, Becky was never alone and her chatroom family never lost touch with her as Richard kept them continually posted when Becky was unable to, and even downloaded messages for her so she could read them from her desktop computer at the hospital.

Even after Becky passed on to the "Big Playground in the Sky", Richard remained in touch. Jenna and Cathleen had grown particularly close to him while Becky was still alive. The little girl within Becky became more prominent as her illness progressed. Being the child and living in that safe simple love- filled world helped her deal with a life that was being measured in days and minutes. As she became more and more the little girl, Richard became more father than friend to Becky. Jenna and Becky grew close and soon, brought each other great joy as mother and daughter. Cathleen the three-year-old toddler in heart was added as Jenna's second daughter and Becky's little sister.

Richard and Jenna enjoyed being parents, and loved the girls the same as if their union had conceived them. When Becky passed away, everyone in the chatroom grieved, and Richard and Jenna drew from each other same as any parent losing a child. Love for Becky had brought them together, and the love they found for each other helped them through her passing.

To Richard, Jenna or Jennifer as he called her, was the beautiful woman who owned his heart. He knew she was a transsexual, and yes that did matter to him, but not because he felt it made her less of a woman. It mattered because like Becky, he knew she had suffered a life denied things that no woman should have to live without, and he so wished he could right those wrongs, take away her pain, and make her happy.

To Jenna, Richard was her soul mate. She had commented many times that Richard may not be perfect, but he was perfect for her. He was everything in a friend, a husband, and father for her children that Jenna had ever dreamed of. She had no choice but to love him and she went to bed each night dreaming of the day when she could feel his arms around her.

As the Easter holiday started taking shape, Jenna held only the faintest of hopes that her beloved Lord might be able to attend. Richard had been battling health problems for some time and his doctors told him the long trip seemed definitely out of the question until he recovered further. Well, those doctors may know diseases and medicine but they should never underestimate the power of a feisty Scotsman, the love he holds for his family, or the power of the Goddess.

On the Thursday before the reunion, Richard sent Shelly an email saying that he was coming, but not to tell anyone, especially Jenna, as he wanted it to be a surprise and he didn't want her worrying about her appearance when they met. Shelly agreed, and it was all she could do to keep the happy truth from her sister.

Richard's flight arrived about three, and Shelly had to keep one eye on the arrivals from Canada without showing her hand. Finally Richard arrived, dressed exactly as he'd promised Shelly so she would recognize him, although at 6'4 and a solid 200 pounds, Richard was hard to miss.

Neither Richard nor Jenna had ever seen each other, yet Richard picked her out of the crowd immediately. Jenna was talking to her sister Janet when she sensed her love's presence. When she turned and saw the big man walking toward her and smiling, her eyes went wide, as she thought this had to be a dream, and then bolted toward Richard, wanting to reach him before she woke up.

Richard opened up his arms and Jenna flew into them. He pulled her in close, hugging her tightly as happy tears fell from both their eyes. Then in typical Richard fashion, pulled back from the embrace and deadpanned, "Hi, Shelly. Is Jenna here yet?"

Jenna wiped the tears from her eyes and shook her head, as she had to laugh. A bit of playful fire lit in her eyes as she smiled impishly at him and returned his question with a question that removed all doubt. "You tell me!"

She then rose up on the toes of her three-inch heels, took Richard’s face in her hands and laid a kiss on him that brought LaGuardia to a standstill. Richard eased his arms around her as the kiss prolonged and soon, Jenna was airborne, minus one shoe that parachuted off her foot, revealing five happy and well-curled toes.

When Jenna landed once again, she smiled up at her love and this time he shook his head and laughed. "Now that's my Jennifer!"

Cathleen had just stood next to Shelly and Janet, giving her parents their moment, but was anxious to join in. Richard knew his daughter as easily as his wife, and smiled at the adult body which housed his toddler. Opening one arm he called to her. "Well c'mon Pumpkin ... don't you have a hug for your daddy?"

All of Cathleen's doubts about her father's acceptance vanished with those words and she ran to her father's open arm. She latched onto him like the toddler she truly was and held on tight. Richard closed his arms around them and the three basked in the love they shared.

It was a special moment shared by all those in attendance, and typical of what had been happening all day long. Everyone's anxieties about how others would react to their true physical appearance melted away at first sight. It was the souls that had connected on the Internet. The bodies were just the wrapping on the prize. The reality of seeing each other didn't shatter the dream. On the contrary, it added another dimension to it, and made it possible to finally share real hugs.

By 5:30, everyone had cleared customs and collected what luggage they'd brought. The thought of doing any sightseeing in New York was immediately waved off in favor of starting the hour and a half trek to the hotel. They had barely 24 hours to spend together and they didn't want to lose a minute of it touring the city.

Shelly piled as many of her "kids" as she could into her car, as of course, all wanted to ride with momma. The overflow was evenly distributed among willing "aunts" and "uncles" and eventually the caravan was off to the hotel. It was shortly after seven by the time they arrived and got everyone checked it.

Shelly would have loved to prepare a proper Jewish feast herself and have it waiting for all her friends, but with time being short and the big dinner set for tomorrow, she opted to have food brought in and it arrived just after 7:30.

Fortunately, the hotel had a large banquet and entertainment room set up for their use and the food was then laidout buffet style so everyone could eat, mingle and enjoy every moment they could together.

By 8:30 the food was exhausted and the "little ones" were heading that way. On any other Saturday night this group would have been together via the Internet and in that cyber world, the small children would have been bathed after a lengthy chase and then carried off to bed. Now with no computer interface to separate them the parents threatened to send their kids to a real life suds city, but in the end, granted the tots a reprieve. Since tomorrow was the Easter holiday, baths were suspended and an extra thirty minutes was granted to color and decorate eggs for the holiday Rabbit.

By 9:00, the eggs were colored and so were most of the children and several of the adults who’d volunteered to help. After the last egg was set to dry, the children were ushered off to bed. Too tired from the day's events they had little energy left to protest and went with barely a whimper.

Richard and Jenna finally got to put their Cathleen to bed as they had always dreamed of doing. It didn't matter that her cute footed jammies were special order adult sized from a catalogue and not from the toddler section at the Disney store. In her parent's eyes, she was their beautiful little girl and the moment was pure magic. For Cathleen, it was equally magical and when she was tucked in with Bernadette, her treasured bear passed on to her by Becky, she slept the peaceful sleep of a little innocent who knows her mommy and daddy are there watching over her.

Several other parents lovingly eased their children into bed that night and the magic was the same for all. Shelly, with the largest brood in the family, enlisted her sisters and older children to help corral the smallest ones. Stuffed babies were tucked under arms, lullabies were sung and foreheads were kissed as Baruchah, Maggie, Huggy, and the rest of Shelly's youngest were tucked in and sent to dreamland.

The older children were allowed to say up a later, but every non-adult was packed off to bed by eleven. Of course the parents knew the teen girls would be up well after midnight giggling and chatting in their rooms, but isn't that part of what being a teenager is all about?

By midnight, only the adults remained and most had broken into small groups. Prue and Christy and Misty were swapping story ideas and recipes. Janet was keeping her running chatroom gag in order by explaining to several others very vehemently why she wasn't a girl. Her argument might have been more convincing if she hadn't looked so stunning in the form-fitting black dress she was wearing. Cathy T was telling an animated story about the adventures of her cat, Roadblock. Ricky and the Scotsman were deep in conversation with Lynx and Pickle, while Sara was sitting back quietly, sketching scenes of the magic moments all around her.

Shelly used the opportunity to pull Jenna, Kim, Jan, and few of the other ladies aside. All the women had agreed to pitch in the next morning and prepare the Easter feast. Shelly had already stocked the hotel pantry and refrigerator with all they needed. She knew they would all have to get up early, and for some who had significant others with them, it might be a long night. Jenna and Kim blushed immediately, while the rest giggled knowingly.

However, she was looking for volunteers to help her do something special for the children, and that meant an earlier than anticipated rising. As soon as the others heard it was for the children, they immediately volunteered. Shelly hugged her sisters tightly and then told them to meet her in the kitchen at 6:00 a.m. sharp, dressed and ready for action. She would clue them in on the action then.

Shortly after one, the gathering had pretty well broken up. Jenna and Richard, along with several of the other couples had left to take a stroll on the unseasonably warm March night. Even the moon seemed to smile on the family as it shone bright and full for the lovers as they spooned.

Shelly checked on all her children before finally climbing into bed herself. She hated to sleep as she didn't want to lose even a moment with her family but she knew she'd need her strength for the big day tomorrow and the tearful goodbyes that would follow as it ended.

5:00 a.m. came soon for Shelly but she rose feeling alive and refreshed. Knowing her family was close by and her babies were sleeping peacefully just a few rooms away gave her such joy she felt she could move mountains. The question was though could she move a mountain of eggs and chocolate bunnies?

She started her day the same way she’d ended it, by peeking in on all her children. The adjoining doors had been left ajar so that the children could reach Shelly and each other during the night if they had need.

Shelly half expected to be buried in babies but only Baru and little Michelle had snuggled in next to her during the night. She kissed them and then tucked the covers in around her little ones before going to check on the others.

Maggie's bed was empty, but that came as no surprise, Shelly knew long before going into Ally and Elsa's room, that Maggie would be cuddled in bed next to her big sister Ally. There are something's that are the same in all realities.

With bed check complete, she went downstairs to put on a pot of coffee and brew tea for those who prefer. Twenty minutes later the majority of the adult women joined her. After morning hugs, giggles about the night some of them just experienced, and a few sips of caffeine to clear the cobwebs out, Shelly took the floor. "Okay girls, I have an idea if you're up for it, and weather permitting."

It had rained during the night and a heavy fog had settled in for the morning. Shelly sighed at the less than ideal weather conditions and then continued. "The woods, and the meadow that was the inspiration for my unicorn story, is within walking distance from here. I've told most of you about what a magical place it is."

Several of her sisters, nodded as they sipped their coffee and tea.

"Well", she continued. "If it's not too wet ... and not too cold ... what would you say to us having an Easter egg hunt for the kids? Now I know the plan was to have baskets waiting for the kids when they came to the kitchen for breakfast, but I just think they'd be tickled to death to have a real Easter egg hunt, especially the little ones."

Jenna smiled big and shared Shelly's enthusiasm. "Oh, I think that's a wonderful idea. Cathleen's been wishing for a real Easter egg hunt for so long. I'd love to see her get one and I'm sure the other kids would be just as tickled."

Kimmie agreed, but brought up a good point. Once they got the kids and everyone else over to the meadow for the hunt, how were they going to get them back for the big Easter feast?"

Jan, mother to most of the mother's there and grandma to all the children, solved that dilemma. She smiled knowingly. "Well ladies, that problem is simple. If they won't come to the feast, then we bring the feast to them! We'll just turn the whole thing into a picnic!"

Everyone agreed it was a wonderful plan, an Easter egg hunt and picnic. Now, would the weather agree? Shelly and Jenna went to the window and watched the fog roll across the hotel parking lot. Shelly said a silent prayer to the Boss asking him to give her just one more miracle, a warm sunny day.

Regardless of whether the weather permitted an Easter egg hunt and picnic, the feast needed to be prepared, and a light breakfast laid out to keep the men and kids at bay until the feast was ready. Donuts, bagels and juice were set out to feed hungry mouths as they appeared.

Then the women began working side by side in the kitchen preparing the various dishes for the feast. It was going to be a feast like no other, as Prue had brought recipes from New Zealand, and every one else contributed things special to their family or their country. It was an all world Easter feast! When the older girls got up, some were allowed to participate in the preparations if they desired and Ally set about making her Death by Chocolate, Mass Extinction cake.

The men playfully groused a bit about there being no bacon and eggs, but settled for kisses, bagels and watching Sports center on ESPN.

The kids were more than content with donuts, but were obviously a bit disappointed when they found no Easter treats waiting for them, not even the eggs they'd colored the night before. The younger ones whispered among themselves and then consulted the older kids, who assured them they were in the dark as much as the little ones.

Cathleen wandered into the kitchen as her cousins watched her. She slipped up behind Jenna and tugged at her apron. Jenna smiled and turned around. In this real life existence, she had to look up to talk to her daughter, but in her heart and soul, she was kneeling down to see what the little three year old wanted. Cathleen pouted slightly and she spoke, "Uh mommy, didn't the Easter bunny come last night and leaves us nothin?"

Jenna did her best to hold back a grin, "Cathleen, Honey, the Bunny came and he took the eggs we made him, but ..I'm afraid there's no candy here in the house. Maybe we can find some before we all leave today, okay, Sweetie?"

Cathleen shrugged her shoulders and then shuffled back over to report to her cousins. Jenna hated to disappoint her, but in reality she hadn't lied. Shelly and Kimmie had transferred all the candies and baskets out to one of the vans, and if that fog and drizzle would just clear off, the kids would get their chance to find plenty of candies and eggs today.

Mid-morning came and the kitchen began to fill with wonderful smells. Most everyone stepped away long enough to take showers and slip into nice clothes for the Easter feast. In an agreement reached between toddlers and parents, baths or showers were suspended in lieu of a warm washcloth, light on the soap.

Shelly was dressed in a lovely green flower print skirt and blouse combo. She walked outside and sighed heavily. Neither the fog nor the light drizzle had yet to lift and even if it did, the grounds would be far too wet for the hunt. She was going to have no choice but to call it off and just make baskets for kids. Nonetheless, she still wanted her sisters to at least see what they could of her special place.

Jan, Kim and Cathy said they could watch the pots and keep the men out of the kitchen while the others went to see Shelly's special place. The girls bundled up in jackets as the temperature had fell along with the fog and made their way across the parking lot and into the woods adjacent.

Even in the cloudy conditions the woods had almost fairy tale magic and the girls said they could see how Shelly was inspired to write her unicorn tale. The fog seemed to thicken greatly just at the edge of the woods and the girls could barely see in front of their faces as they neared the meadow.

Shelly assured them it was just ahead as she stepped out from the last grouping of trees. The woman stopped in her tracks after she emerged and stared wide eyed at what she found. Warm sunlight poured down on her beloved meadow, and there was no trace of the fog or drizzle they'd left just a few steps behind. It was sunshine and 75 degrees with a gentle spring breeze.

Shelly's sisters were every bit as surprised as she had been as they stepped into this sunny oasis. Sara walked to the far end of the meadow where the woods started again and found the fog awaited her as soon as she left the clearing. Other explorations of the area netted the same result. As incredible as it seemed, Shelly's meadow had been given a sunny warm window while everything else around it was mired in the cold fog. Such a thing just didn't seem possible, but the fact they were all gathered together on Easter, had already proved almost nothing was impossible. The Goddess had been smiling on them since this whole thing began; perhaps this was her final gift.

The girls then agreed on two things: one, Shelly's meadow was one of the most beautiful, magical places they'd ever seen, and two: they didn't know how long their luck or this weather was going to hold out so if they were going to have an Easter egg hunt and picnic, they’d better move it.

The girls put back on their jackets and re-entered the cold, fog-filled woods. Five minutes later they were in the parking lot of the hotel. Shelly, Prue, Kimmie, Sara, and Janet went to the van and grabbed boxes filled with Easter eggs and candy and headed back toward the meadow to set up the hunt. Jenna went inside and asked Jan, Kim, Cathy and Christy to get the food packed and ready for travel. The women glanced outside at the fog and drizzle and gave her a skeptical look. Jenna smiled and asked them to trust her. Without another word, they began packing the food for the picnic.

Jenna's big job lay in the other room. She had to convince the men and the kids to leave the warm dry entertainment room with the big screen television and go tromping out through the fog and the drizzle to have a picnic. The women had simply trusted her on her word, but the men would be skeptical, and the kids would have a hundred why's and how come's she couldn't answer without giving away the surprise. Even if she did tell them they were going to have a picnic and an Easter egg hunt in a sunny meadow five minutes away would they believe her?

Deciding to divide and conquer the enemy, Jenna rounded up most of the younger kids and told them they could do anything they wanted today EXCEPT go outside to play. Five minutes later they were looking for jackets and begging to be able to go out. Mommy 1- Kids 0.

The older girls were flat out bribed with a promise of short mall hop before returning to the airport. Mommy 2 - Kids 0.

Then she went after Richard. Stealing him away from the Scotsman, she whispered in his ear about how romantic a picnic would be. Richard raised an eyebrow at her as he ventured a glance to the window. He quickly shared his concerns about the cold and wet conditions. Jenna then raised the room temperature a bit, by saying they might have to snuggle a bit more to keep warm but she was sure things would heat up. Richard smiled warmly, very warmly and then left Jenna to let the other men know what might be on the picnic menu for them with their companions. Ten minutes later the Yankee game was turned off and the men turned on. Mommy 3 - Kids O.

Game, Set and Match for the women!

Thirty minutes after Jenna had walked in, she was walking out, leading food and family to a sun kissed meadow for an Easter egg hunt and picnic, or at least she hoped so. Richard walked by her side and held her hand. The warmth of his touch helped fight the cold drizzle and fog that chilled her body. Richard could see she was shivering and offered his coat, as he had a sweater beneath it. Jenna smiled at his gallantry but waved him off saying just few hundred feet further and she wouldn't need it. Richard eyed her suspiciously again but said nothing. Sometimes a man knows it’s better to not ask questions, especially if he's not sure he wants to know the answers.

Two minutes later, Richard emerged from the woods with Jenna and got answers that only left him with more questions. Just as it had been when Shelly and her sisters had first come, the meadow was bathed in warm sunlight, dry, and without a trace that the fog or drizzle had ever been there.

Prue, Sara, Janet and Kimmie hid the last of the Easter eggs while Shelly welcomed each person that stepped out of the woods with a smile as warm and shining as the sun above. "Welcome to the magic meadow, everyone!" she gushed. "Please don't ask me how this is all possible, because I haven't a clue. Just drink in this air and enjoy!"

A few did start to question how this could be possible, but the magic meadow began working its magic. The warm sun chased away their fog induced chill and when they drank in the sweet scent of the spring air it so intoxicated them, that silly questions just seemed unimportant. They relaxed, enjoying the beautiful scenery and the beautiful people. Somehow it seemed like this meadow was exactly the place they were supposed to be and everything was exactly how it was supposed to be.

Some of ladies laid out several tablecloths and began setting out some of the food. Shelly and Prue called all the children over before they could run off and play and told them to each close their eyes. Jenna and Janet then sat an empty Easter Basket in front of each child. Finally Sara told them to open their eyes and look down. The kids squealed happily when they saw the Easter baskets but frowned when they noticed it was void of all the candies and eggs that are supposed to fill it.

Shelly stopped all questions with a single wave of her and then answered them all with a single sentence and a wish. "Kids we're having an Easter egg hunt, and you'll find them hid all over this meadow. Good luck!"

She might as well have fired a starters gun, as the children grabbed their baskets and shot past her like it was a hundred meters dash. With the food laid out, the adults just settled back to enjoy each others company and watch the children do what children are supposed to do, have fun!

Yes, in reality, some of these "children" were genetically male, six foot tall, and thirty years past childhood, but reality wasn't invited to the meadow this day. Souls were set free in the tall grass and youthful giggles were carried on the gentle spring breeze. Even if these children couldn't wear the cute little Easter dresses they wished for, because the body was all-wrong. It didn't really matter, because everything else was so right. Their family was there, the meadow was there and the eggs were there. How could they not be happy children?

Even the older children, the teenagers in the group couldn't resist the call of the hunt and soon, they too, were running about squealing and giggling, lost in the purest form of joy most had ever known. The parents and other adults sat back and watched happily. The children's joy became their own and they too felt a joy within their hearts they never dreamed possible in this life.

The hunt had been going strong for maybe ten minutes when Jenna took her head off Richard's shoulder and pointed toward the sky. "Look everyone!", she cried. "It's a rainbow! Did you ever see one so beautiful?"

The children were oblivious to anything beside the hunt, but the adults looked up and marveled at the beautiful sight. This vibrant spectrum of colors seemed to come from nowhere and then suddenly stretch across the sky. It was the perfect crown for this perfect place. The only thing missing now, was Shelly's unicorns, and she half expected them and several "moose's" to show up any minute.

With the emergence of the rainbow, the spring air seemed to be a bit sweeter and the sun a bit brighter, but the weather conditions weren't the only thing undergoing a subtle change.

As the adults watched the children romp, they couldn't help but think how much more like children they were actually beginning to look and sound. The squeals and giggles were becoming more high pitched, and the smaller children were becoming just that, smaller.

At first they attributed it to wishful thinking and the joy of the moment, but thirty minutes after the rainbow arrived they realized they weren't wearing rose-colored glasses. Jenna saw a strawberry blonde toddler in a yellow dress and hat, happily munching on one of the candied eggs she found, and she smiled because she knew that happy child was her Cathleen.

Other parents and adults witnessed the same incredible meadow magic before them. A much younger Piper, and a now little Angel traded candies so that each got their favorites. A teenage Ally had her three-year-old cousin Allie by the hand and was helping the toddler search for eggs. Fourteen-year-old Elsa was carrying a worn out two year old Emma in her arms. A seven year old Kirsty with a lovely bow in her hair and the same dress she wore earlier, only now much smaller, smiled proudly as she added yet another goodie to her overflowing basket. Kay and Steffie were tossing eggs back and forth like the baseballs they threw on their little league teams. Karen and Samantha Rebecca were sharing a huge pink egg filled with Jelly Babies while Cat was feeding a piece of chocolate to her best friend and dolly, Lisa. Sara, who rarely let the child out, had been unable to resist the call of the hunt and now was a very happy little girl squealing with delight as she'd found several crayons hidden inside a colored egg. Maggie and Baruchah were being the typical twins. The five year olds were wearing matching dresses and hats, but the breeze had stole Maggie's and she was chasing it across the meadow. Baruchah then put down her basket and joined Maggie in the chase. Shelly had to laugh when she saw the pair. As always, wherever one went, the other was never far behind.

The adults had become so engrossed in watching the children's metamorphosis they had paid little attention to their own. The change came as gentle as the spring breeze and just as natural. Jenna took her eyes off Cathleen to share her joy with Richard, and saw the handsome man next to her looking twenty years younger and definitely healthier. Richard turned toward his love and saw a young auburn haired goddess smiling back at him.

Similar changes were going on with many of the other adults. A healthy Misty was doing cartwheels for her sisters and mother and blessedly there wasn't a wheel chair or oxygen tank in sight. Pickles and Kim were one of several young couples holding hands and watching the children lost in the fun. Tina Michelle was setting out stuffed babies and model rocket kits from her store, the Bear Market. Prue's moose was peeking out beneath her brunette locks and whispering her a story as fast as the young woman could write it down. The lovely Janet was even younger and lovelier than ever. Her running joke about being a boy was now clearly that, just a joke. There beneath a shade tree was a pair of extremely large breasts that had a very lovely young lady attached to them. Without a doubt, it could only be Holly. Shelly idly ran her fingers through her newly grown waist length shimmering locks and sighed contently. Many of the gleeful children out collecting eggs were hers and she couldn't be happier.

Within an hour after the hunt began and the rainbow appeared, all the eggs had been recovered, save for a few that Bailey the puppy had gotten too. In the midst of all the magic the little dog had appeared and trailed after Cathleen finding several eggs on her own and pilfering one or two from the little girl's basket.

The changes seemed to have subsided at about the same time the hunt ended but just like the children who were carrying in their baskets heavy laden with treasure, no one could ask for more. Everyone seemed to be given what should have been there's all along, a body to match their soul and the life that goes with it.

The adults called the children in for the feast and greeted them with hugs and cuddles. The older children made a brief eye contact with the adults to let them know they were aware of the changes and as happy as they were, but also just as puzzled as to the how and why. The little ones showed no signs of being anything other than the happy, playful imps they now were and somehow that also seemed to be just as it should be.

Parents fixed plates for their children, and helped the smaller ones find their mouths when spoons and fingers failed to do so. The teens ate while they carried on discussions with each other over music, fashion and of course, boys. Most of the men ate more food then should fit in a human stomach and most of the women were afraid to even LOOK at Ally's chocolate cake for fear they'd gain three pounds on sight alone. Compliments were showered, requests for recipes were made, and gentle laughter filled the air along with the occasional flying food bit launched by Cathleen, Allie or Emma.

It was all very typical of a family get together, but what had transpired over the last hour had been anything but typical. There had been several compliments on the delicious dishes prepared by the group of talented chefs but amazingly not one person commented on the body and life altering changes that had occurred.

No one was turning summersaults save for Misty, and she was just working on her cheerleading routine for the Oklahoma Sooners next year. No one was crying save for little Huggy, and that was because Bailey had nicked his candied egg. No one seemed to be worried about the ramifications of all these body and life-altering changes because those who were aware of what happened instinctively knew everything was going to be all right, because now THEY were all right.

Once everyone had their fill of the feast they broke off individually or in small groups to spend the rest of the afternoon just basking in the afterglow of the magic. In a few hours everyone would return home, but no one would return home quite the same way they left it, and for some, the home they returned to was definitely not the same one they left. Families and couples who had arrived separately would be leaving together and living together. Those who had been barely well enough to make this trip, found themselves feeling healthy enough to know they'd be back for next years reunion and then some. Children like Cathleen, Emma and Allie no longer had the same return tickets. They were going home with their parents and doing so without charge, because most airlines allow children five and under to fly free.

A sleepy Cathleen was in her mother's arms, and Jenna held her close as she snuggled next to her beloved Richard. Finally, the food, the magic and gentle breeze got the best of the young woman and she drifted off. She slept peacefully for about an hour or two before awaking to find the waking dream she'd left a few hours back was still as real as the handsome young man she was snuggled against.

Richard smiled lovingly at his wife. He too had been tempted to drift off for a bit but he just couldn't take his eyes of the sleeping forms of his beautiful wife and daughter.

Sometime during Jenna's slumber, Richard had lifted Cathleen from her mothers' arms and placed her on the blanket between them. The toddler was still sleeping soundly with Bailey's head on her feet. Jenna looked down at her chocolate-faced angel and knew there would be no bargaining tonight. Cathleen was going soap city, like it or not.

Her eyes drifted back up toward Richard's and she smiled, as she knew his had never left her. She snuggled a bit closer and then sighed restlessly. Richard could feel uneasiness within her. "What's wrong Jennifer? Aren't you happy my love?"

Jenna's eyes beamed with love and contentment. There was no doubt she was happy but yet still troubled. Did she dare ask the unspoken question? It was the same one that had to be on nearly everyone's mind there but not spoken aloud from anyone's lips. Finally she just had to. "Richard, how? How can this all be?"

Richard sighed; his gaze left hers for only a moment as he looked to the rainbow and then back. "I don't know. Maybe it's this magic meadow or that rainbow. Maybe it's this Goddess that Ally speaks of or it's the work of Shelly's Boss. Maybe it's the joy our children got from hunting eggs combined with the joy we got from watching them. Maybe I'm still home in Canada and it's all just a dream. Heck maybe it's Shelly's chicken soup and your fudge brownies that did it! There's a lot of love and magic in them both."

Jenna blushed a bit at the compliment and then had to laugh. Richard smiled happily. To him there was nothing more beautiful than seeing his beloved smile. Taking her hand then he tried to finish his answer to her question. "Jennifer...I don't know how this happened but in all honesty does it really matter? I mean as long as you're happy and Cathleen's happy, and everyone else is happy does it really matter?"

Richard's words made her think. She looked down at her sleeping angel and knew Cathleen was happy. She saw the love in Richard's eyes when his gaze held her and she knew he was happy. She was a woman who had her soul mate and daughter by her side and was surrounded by her family and friends. How could she not be happy?

She glanced around the meadow and drank in others happiness. Most of the small children were like her Cathleen, napping contently by their parents.

Some of the older ones were up and about. Kay and Steffie still had on their Easter dresses, but cut quite a comical image as they donned caps and gloves and were tossing a baseball back and forth.

Some of the girls were still carrying on the chats they'd started at dinner and a few were reading under shady trees.

Ally had a nearly sleeping Maggie in her arms brushing the little girl's hair as they both listened to Lynx play his guitar and sing a soft soulful ballad.

Shelly was in the height of her glory as she had little Michelle in her arms was surrounded by several of her sleeping little ones.

Kimmie rocked little Allie backed and forth humming a lullaby.

Little Sara was lying on her tummy busily coloring a picture for her new mommy and Prue couldn't wait to see her daughters masterpiece.

Angel and Elsa were picking flowers and Angel already had one in her hair.

Kim had her head on Pickle's shoulder and little Piper's head in her lap. Her eyes met Jenna's and each knew just how happy the other was, because their happiness was the same.

Everyone Jenna saw seemed content and then she came to the same conclusion her beloved had reached earlier. "How" wasn't really important. What WAS important, was knowing if she was happy and the tears of joy she felt welling in her eyes for her own happiness and that of those she felt around her answered that question without doubt.

She turned to her soul mate with joyful tears in her eyes and smiled. "I'm happy Richard, happier than I ever dreamed possible, but...but...I still have one last question?"

Richard smiled at her and wiped away a tear. "And what's that my love?"

Jenna green eyes were brimming with love as she spoke. "What happens when we leave the meadow? I guess what I mean is.... what do we do now?"

Richard chuckled lightly. "That's easy my pet. We just live, for as long as this magic, or this dream or this world lasts.... we just live."

Jenna nodded and then snuggled next to Richard. Whispering softly she spoke, "You're right my lord...now all of us can finally just live."

The End

Happy Easter to all my family and friends!

Love, Maggie da Kitten^

up
76 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A happy Easter, indeed

Can I get directions to this party?

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I am not the Holly in this story.

I became a member of the family after Maggie wrote this. Now, there are two Hollys in the family and a number of other members of the family.

Holly Hart

It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.

Holly

YES

Way to go girl. What a day for a get together. I only wish
I could meet you all. Maybe some day

I wish you enough Mickie

MICKIE

Oh, if only!

Such a nice dream, and a great story!

Wren

thank you kitten and shelly

Thank you for this wonderful story, I loved every minute of the read. It does make me feel that the dream is a live.

Yes i am in the story and in my heart i am that true little girl.

Yours loving

samantha rebecca clarkson

The Easter Story

May the Magic last forever.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine