Ballroom dancer

Printer-friendly version

A tale about how a man finds himself pretending playing the woman's role, and enjoying the situation.
Thanks to Tiffany for tidying up.

I will explain something of my childhood first. I had a tough time in some ways, but in others a great childhood. My mother did not like me playing hard sports like rugby and football.Cross country was acceptable and I was reasonable at it, even represented the school at times. But what mother wanted me to do was dance. This caused no end of bullying at school. I ended up an outsider because I never did team sports and was seen as a wimp for doing dance classes.
Having left school at 16, I got a job in a bank, nice clean regular, safe work that fitted in well with my dancing. I still did the classes that I had once resented and now enjoyed, but I also entered competitions and displays. Mother was still a big support and would come to as many as possible, as she always had.
When I was about 20 I joined a dance team. We did competitions and formation dancing, mostly of the ballroom categories. I had usually danced alone or with a single partner, to be in a team of eight was a nice new challenge, and I found a lot of enjoyment in being part of a team.

The reason for telling this tale starts when our coach wanted to get us to improve and felt that we should once a week have a session dancing in the opposite role.
So a man and a woman would reverse, so the woman took the lead, or we would dance in same sex pairs, taking turns to play the lead. This was successful, as we understood what our partners would be doing in a real way, because we had done it as well.

My best friend on the team, Daryl, always liked to partner me in these sessions, which I enjoyed doing. I did not mind that he took the lead role most times, and when I danced with Sally, and she took the lead, I used to comment how I would be better as the partner, playing to her lead if we carried on.
The contests went well, and we got on great as a team, going out together and enjoying each other's company. My friendship with Daryl strengthened and though he made it clear he was gay, I made it clear I was not bothered, but we still spent much of our free time together as mates.

A couple of years after I joined the team, we had bonded really well. We danced well together and were winning, which always helped. Then disaster struck. Daryl's partner Trudy, sprained her ankle and though we had a reserve man, we currently did not have a reserve lady. So with two weeks to a national competition, it looked like we would have to cancel. We trained in a half hearted way. It was the next time we did the role swap exercise that Sally grabbed me and got all excited, she then shot off to see Daryl, who both went to see the coach, who then called me over. What they had come up with was that the reserve, John, would take my place with Sally, and because I was so good at dancing the ladies steps, I would take Trudy's place and partner Daryl! I expressed concern about how they thought it would work, also about whether I really wanted to be a lady. The whole team was brought in and the idea discussed. The whole mood changed, there was chance we could still enter and compete, if I would agree. I asked if I could have time to think about it, but by the next session I would have an answer.

After we split up, I went for a drink with Daryl, who was full of enthusiasm for the idea of dancing with me,and, reckoned it would be such a buzz. I was getting texts of Sally, Trudy and nearly all the others giving me more encouragement. Maybe they were doing it for their own reasons, but the pressure not to let them down was building. I hoped my mother would be a source of unbiased reason, how could I really be as good as Trudy, with such a short time to really practise? I had no outfits, I had never taken a step in heels. I could see so many negatives, where everyone else saw obstacles that could be overcome. Mother just thought it a real hoot, and told me it would be fun, with nothing to lose. My dignity I suggested might well be lost if I do. She suggested I might lose my friendships and team if I did not. I at least had to give it a go.

A resigned dancer turned up to training the next evening. What have I agreed to? was all I could think of. My mother had been out in the day and bought me a pair of dance shoes, and Daryl had called round early to give me a lift, chat with mother and make sure I was fine with it. And so I spent the rest of the week in serious training with Daryl. Every free moment we were together, so much so that I did not notice the hive of activity going on around mother, coach and Trudy. Come the weekend I was getting better, but not polished, when mother introduced me to the rest of the challenge. I was not only going to dance as a girl, I would have to look like one too. Somehow this had dropped out of my thinking, but Saturday morning meant it came back with a rush when Trudy dropped off her dresses. Mother loved them, the fabrics, the styles, the spectacle that is ballroom dancing outfits.

I was training in the afternoon, so mother had my morning fully programmed. First she showed me what she had been buying for me, not that this meant much, but as the morning progressed I knew a lot more. I had to remove all my hair with a cream, and then shower. Next I had some very tight pants to get on, then dance tights, followed by a bra, which was filled with a pair of fake gel forms. Now we had to try on the dresses Trudy had left behind. I stepped into the first, a pink full-skirted waltz dress with a tight bodice. Mother fussed around sticking some pins in, but basically it was a close fit. Next was a white one for the fox trot, far softer and more skirt to find my way through. Last was a tango, this showed too much leg and had a lot of frilly bits, and like the others would need some adjustment, but not much.

I was changing back before lunch, so I could meet Daryl to practise, when mother told me to keep the tights on and gave me some new heels. She said they were for the competition, and would fit better with the tights. Resigned to my fate, I took the shoes and her advice. Daryl noticed as soon as I put them on, but I just passed it off and got on warming up. At night, mother had finished the alterations, and wanted another fitting, so I obliged, only to have Sally call around, who enthused far to much telling me how great I looked. Then she insisted I go out with her for a drink. I accepted but not until I had changed, no way was I stepping out the door dressed like that.

We met up with Trudy and went to club in town. The evening was going fine until we had a few drinks and relaxed. Trudy asked about her dresses, which lead to talk about what else I needed to get sorted. But I was not to worry, they would arrange everything; all I had to do was do as I was asked and they would make sure I was presentable for the contest. We got home at a respectable time, being told I should be up early as they would be round to pick me up in the morning, and get me ready for the dress practise in the afternoon.

Naively, I thought they would just check the dress, and load everything in the car. No, I was to have a lesson in make up, and femininity. First they had me change so they could see me in the dresses, then they taught me how to apply make up; the foundation, blusher, eye liner, which shadow to use so we all looked alike, and lipstick. They did it first, then I cleaned up and had a go myself. After a few attempts and drying skin, they did me again, then slipped a simple hair band with wig attached on my head, let me step into the pink dress, before telling me I should go and show my mother how good I look. Mother just stood speechless for a minute, then gave me such a hug I found myself responding by hugging her. She was so happy I could see tears.

Sally suddenly shouted the time was late and we had to go, so I was out of the dress and about to go and clean up, but Trudy caught me, gave me her coat, and with mother placing the dresses carefully in the car, the two girls boldly took me out the door to the car, telling me I would be fine, no one would suspect, and I would only have to get made up and dressed once we got to the studio. Reassured, I hid in the back seat, unable to look out, for fear of seeing someone I knew. Then a quick dash indoors and I felt safer.

All I had to do was slip the dress on, everything else was done. So for the first time I sat in the girls changing room and watched them prepare for the session. It was quite illuminating to a naive young man. As we walked out I was given a wonderful reception. All the team came and gave me a hug and a kiss. Coach was thrilled and I tried to remember why I was doing this.

The practise went well. As expected, coach spent most of her time concentrating on me, until I became tired and emotional, at which point Daryl put his arm around me and soothed my fragile ego. Later on he teased me about taking the role too seriously, as I had never broken down before, unlike the girls who seem to do it routinely. To which I gave him a playful slap, how girly was that? I immediately thought.

After we had finished, I now realised I had only my female underwear to call my own and get home in. The girls laughed about this compromising position, but soon I had been lent a jumper and trousers. Admittedly the trousers did have flowers embroidered on them, and the jumper was pastel blue with  ¾ sleeves, so I had to keep the make up and shoes on to get home. In the car, Sally was hinting at how we should plan for the next weekend, and Trudy was giving hints on what I needed to get before then. So when we got home and mother offered them some tea, it was an ideal opportunity for them to all get together and plan.

They wanted me to get used to the skirts, so I was to wear the waltz one as much as possible, it being the biggest and hardest to handle. The same went for shoes. I was to practise make up when I had a chance. They were going to organise appointments at Julie's salon, so come Saturday when we left for London I would look the part.

The week flew by. When I was not working, I was with Daryl training, and if not doing that, trying to get around the house in a ballroom gown and heels. That was once I had put on full make up!

Come Friday, I was thinking of practise, but Trudy was thinking of different preparations. Julie did all the girls before a big competition, and as I was now a 'girl', that included me. First she gave me a judgmental look 'what have we got here' then without too much chat, set about washing, cutting, and at the end my shaggy mop had been reshaped into a neat, decorated bun on the top of my head which had no life. It was just fixed solid, except for the deliberate wisps around my face. While things were being left to set on my hair, she examined my face and said she was neatening my eyes, and then pulled at my eyebrows. Then she manicured my hands and nails, gluing on longer tips and painting them a pink colour that all the girls were using that weekend. The tanning booth was not new to me, as we all needed a bit of colour in our skin sometimes, but the other thing that was new was having my ears pierced. They assured me that usually I would have studs and let them heal, but for this occasion, I was having the dangly ones fitted to start. Had I a choice, no!

Next stop for Trudy was our house, where mother had been busy. A bombshell was dropped on me, that I could hardly turn up at the event in my suit, then go in the ladies, so for the weekend I was to be Fiona, my chosen name apparently. So starting that evening as my hair was done, I should dress and be Fiona. Mother had loved this. She was shopping for a daughter she never had! I had a pink tracksuit and trainers, a denim skirt and a pale blue silk blouse, that was obviously picked for her taste, and a pair of heeled shoes to go with them. Along with enough underwear for a week. I stripped and redid my legs and arms, then I was getting dressed when I was asked to lie on the bed. Between them they checked my chest carefully, before applying something cold and pressing the breast forms on. I lay still as told, then as I got up, realised they had glued them to me! As I clipped the bra on, I was assured they had a releaser to get them off. Now with the tight pants creating a flat front, I was really seeing the Fiona they were aiming for. It was getting late so I slipped on the tracksuit, and the evening finished with Trudy telling me to be up early. She would collect me to take me to the final practise before driving to the venue. Then with a hug and a kiss, she was gone. Mother with a glint in her eye, then urged me to get myself ready for bed. As I opened the door and saw my bed I knew why she had a glint in her eye. A long purple nightie lay on top of the bed. Knowing that I was being told to do as I was asked, I changed for bed putting it on instead of my usual pyjamas, cleaned myself up and went to show her, so I could let her know I was doing what she wanted.

Next day, after a restless sleep due to worry and a very stimulating nightdress, I was dragged out of bed by my mother. Obviously pleased I had slept in the nightie, but eager to change me for the day. An hour later, I was waiting. Dressed in the tracksuit, hair repaired, and face done. After a couple hours final run through, I changed from the track suit, showered and dressed in the skirt and blouse, then it was on the bus and off to London.

The team behaved just as it always did. The fact I was dressed so unusually did not alter anything. We did everything as normal, until we came to allocate rooms. I was sharing with Trudy, so she could help me as she was not dancing. We had time to settle in and put our stuff away. It was during this time Trudy got talking and the chat drifted onto how I felt. She apparently danced partly because of the chance to dress up in such fantastic clothes, the textures, the detail just being so glamorous she said was brilliant., I had to agree the dresses were wonderful, but then my normal outfits can be special. 'Not as special as having all that fabric wafting around your legs', on this I had to agree.

The evening passed off without incident. I was too preoccupied with the thought that I was going to impersonate a woman in front of judges and an audience. We ate together, chatted and retired to our rooms, much of which I did not notice. Next morning, I was a bundle nerves, far worse than usual. Trudy must have been very patient as I seemed to forget all I had been taught. She had to do my face. Reset my hair, check I was presentable, and carry my outfits, almost everything, while I just went to pieces swanning about in the pink sweats. Once at the venue, she set me down and along with the other girls, got me ready for the first formation waltz. Quite surprisingly, once I had got dressed in the enormous pink creation, the nerves started to settle. And once we were on stage, I was completely focused and lost all my butterflies. Daryl danced beautifully, holding me just right, moving with such grace it seemed I only had to follow. The music finished and we all felt it had gone really well; even I had to admit I had done a good job as Daryl's partner. But it was the judges who decide what is good; all we could do was dance. We now had a break to change for our next dance. All four couples do a different style of routine, Trudy and Daryl always took the tango, and so I was to tango with Daryl. We had practised as much as possible, but you never feel it is enough. So we run through the routine in a practise area, just doing the steps until we are called. My nerves stay calm with something to do, and then once on stage, I focus on the tango and the mood of the dance. Daryl dances with passion, dominating the floor while I respond by worshiping him with my moves. We knew it had been good when the applause started, and the judges were generous. But it was the team's comments that really got us, things like true passion, if we did not know you better, and that was sex on the dance floor. Then somehow we had to calm down and do a foxtrot as a team. By now I was getting relaxed, and the foxtrot dress was a mass of soft skirt that moved sensually as I walked, and I remembered what Trudy had said about the dresses and I knew what she meant. These outfits are fantastic to wear, and dance in.

For me, the result did not matter. We had come and entered, gained experience and hopefully enjoyed ourselves. It would be silly to think we could win, but we came a credible fifth, considering that I had only taken Trudy's place two weeks ago.
The competition over, we went back to our rooms to clean up and change for a meal that evening. I was about to put my blouse and skirt on when Trudy offered me some of her clothes. Apparently I looked middle aged in my skirt! 'well my mother bought it' was all I could defend with. So she choose for me a mid thigh pastel blue skirt with a big belt, and an off the shoulder white top. She dressed in a similar style and with handbags for all our bits, we went to see who else was ready.

I bumped into Daryl as he came out of his room. He complimented me on how good I looked, and I blushed, as this is not what your friend is supposed to say.
We ended up at the bar together, chatting about the dances. He wanted to know how it felt. I was honest and described how the dresses felt, and how much I had enjoyed our tango, his passion and personality in it was wonderful to feel and be close to.

Later as we went to eat, Sally asked how I was getting on with Daryl; I said fine we are good mates. She asked if that was all. He is gay you know. And you are a man looking very sexy in anyone's eyes. Sorry what do you mean? He fancies you, and that tango was pure lust, and you went with it, so we thought it was mutual. Oh. Was all I could manage.

At the table, Daryl came and sat next to me. Maybe Sally was right, but it was confirmed when I deliberately touched his hand below the table, then withdrew it, apologised and waited. He said no need and took my hand gently in his and squeezed it. After a moment, I got up and went to the toilets. Trudy who had been next to me, followed and steered me into the ladies. I must have looked flustered as she asked what was up. I told her about the hand touching, and she asked if it was a problem. No. Did I like the attention? Well it is nice. So go back and enjoy it!
After reapplying lipstick, we returned. I saw Trudy wink at Sally, then gently stroke Daryl's shoulder. I sat down and found his hand on mine almost immediately. The meal finished and we split up as a group. Some went to the bar, others for a walk, it was a nice night after all. Daryl whispered as he got up that he was going for a walk, and would I join him? It even had the sense of power over me that I had felt in the tango. How could I resist? I wanted to know where these feelings would lead, so I followed.

Once a discreet distance from the group, he took hold of me and walked without saying anything, then stopped in a quiet corner, turned to me and asked
'the tango, did you enjoy it?'
'yes'
'I thought so, it was like you wanted to make love to me'
'was it?'
'oh yes, there were times I had trouble focusing, you were just so sexy'
'sorry, I was just responding to your dominant lead'
'look this is getting weird, you are my mate, yet I call you Fiona, and we have just done the sexiest dance I have ever seen or been in, and I want to carry on where the dance finished.'
'I m confused as well, but you were the one who started it, being so dominant'
'in that case'
he then put one hand behind my head, pulled me to him and gave me a deep long kiss.
'OK?'
'I guess so' I replied, as I got my breath back.
Then he held me against the wall as he kissed me some more. I was responding in ways I did not expect to, but found myself pulling him to me, then running my fingers over his chest. We were getting very excited, when he suddenly let go.
'it's no good here' took my hand firmly,. We walked back to the hotel, then went to my bedroom, where he asked my to put the tango dress on. While I did this he locked the door with a 'do not disturb sign' on.

I came out of the bathroom, to
'you are stunningly beautiful, and so sexy'
We danced to unheard music until we were almost glued together, at which point he was grinding his groin against me. In the moment I said nothing, just unzipped him then went down on my knees in front of him and kissed his dick, all the time thinking why? and that this is so good I love it! He came in no time, I managed to swallow everything, then he pulled me up after I had licked him clean, and hugged me some more. I was about to say we should be getting back when I noticed a paper slip under the door.
It read, see you in the morning. Love Trudy xxx.
I slowly undressed him, then as he watched, I undressed to my knickers. Then i went into the bathroom and put my satin nightie on and returned. It was not long before he was hard again, but this time he took control, and after gently massaging and lubricating me, took my virginity. Then stayed the night cuddling me. It was the best night ever.

Come morning, I had to get myself up and ready, but with help from Trudy, again I was soon presentable. Arriving home was odd as I was still in the skirt and made a quick dash indoors, hoping no one saw me. Mother was thrilled to see me still in a skirt. I could tell this by the hug I got. She then proceeded to quiz me about everything to do with the weekend, how the contest went, how I had got on as Fiona, how the others had treated me. I told her nearly everything, but there are some things you don't tell your mother. She came to the conclusion that I had rather enjoyed myself and asked if I would do it again. I tried to appear casual about it, but if given the chance I would love to dance again as Fiona.

I spent the rest of the day as Fiona to see how mother reacted, there was no real need, but she seemed quite taken with a daughter, but I tried to say it was possibly a one off thing.

Next time at the studio, everyone was discussing the past weekend and congratulating themselves when I arrived. I got a very warm welcome, I had made up for Trudy's ankle far better than any had hoped. After the session, there was some joking that we only needed one reserve because I could dance both parts. I laughed but the coach did not. Later asking if I would be the reserve lady, should it be required, Daryl overheard and shouted of course she would.

Later in the week, after Trudy had been over to collect her dresses that mother had insisted on cleaning, mother had a better idea of how the weekend had gone, giving me a quiet talk about how it would be fine with her if I wanted to be Fiona again, even if there was no dancing involved.

By the weekend, I was decided that I wanted to be Fiona again. My work colleagues had noticed my eyebrows were narrower, my hair had had been cut into an unusual style for me, and I had marks on my ears. Yet no one took great exception to these changes. So I managed to insert studs, and when I started wearing the nightie to bed, I knew Fiona was here to stay. Especially when Daryl rang, leaving a message with mother, that he had tickets and wanted to know if Fiona fancied going with him. This sealed it, and mother took over with the transition of son to daughter.

up
121 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Lauran,

ALISON

'for another one of your little delights.

ALISON

Ballroom dancer

Very nice. Reminds me of a traditional Janet Stickney story.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Thank You

Thanks for a well written and really sweet story

Joani

Dance, Love, and cook with joy and great abandon

Ummm.......

Very neat little story. Your writing is becoming better with each new posting.

Triona

Lovely story!

Well written with some nice touches.

A well handled love story.

Thank you

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Finally

got around to reading this one and really enjoyed it.

Nice story

janet_L.'s picture

I'm in the process of learning how to follow in the waltz and polka, and I'm amazed at the number of guys who don't have a clue as to how to lead. I have to explain it is the pressure of his right hand on my back which does most of the communication. Once they get that down, I follow a lot better, but I'm still far less than perfect. . . Certainly much worse than my favorite female partners.

But then I've only danced in the feminine role on two or three occasions to date, but "dancer" is an important part of my self-definition, so. . . I might even resort to taking lessons to get some stuff smoothed out, though the predominant forms of dance I've been involved with have been "International" (basically a combination of Balkan & Israeli folk dances) which has relatively few heavily gendered dances, and Contra, which is pretty simple, but some of the detailed differences take some getting used to. About the hardest thing to get used to is stopping some moves with my partner on my left, rather than right. . . Not a problem with a partner who really knows what he is doing, but. . . I've also been a bit amazed at how much more mileage the women's part in some of those dances runs up than the men's.

I'm still hoping to find another Morris side to dance with. . . I still miss it a good decade after my side disbanded.

Thank you

Ole Ulfson's picture

For this enjoyable story. It makes me want to know what happens to Fiona next. Will there be more?

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!