Somewhere Else Entirely -17-

Printer-friendly version

Garia finally gets to attempt some exercise, but a dreadful session is only saved by Keren's wise words. A hot afternoon sees Garia journey into the city to inaugurate Anmar's first paper-making experiments. Later, Tarvan is asked some strange questions...

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

17 - On the Mat


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2017 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The last guardsman walked out of the door with an armful of practice swords and Captain Bleskin turned to the three who remained.

"I think that's everything, Highness, Mistress. We'll need to come back in and pack everything away before lunch, of course, but you'll have the room to yourselves until just before the fifth bell." He hesitated. "Are you going to be able to hear the bell? I'm afraid the men are going to make a bit of a racket out there, and we've never been able to hear the bells properly in here anyway."

Jenet reached into the bag she carried slung over a shoulder and pulled out a rolled-up towel. She unwrapped the towel to reveal an hourglass already started.

"Ah, you have a sand-dropper. Good, then, I'll be off. Good luck, Mistress, with your endeavors. Your Highness."

Bleskin saluted and then left, closing the door to the Small Training Room behind him. Jenet carefully placed the sand-dropper on the corner of a shelf stacked with battered leather helmets before the three turned and regarded the center of the room. Bleskin had gotten two of his men to pull out and unroll one of the thick felt mats they used for hand-to-hand and unarmed combat training and it lay before them on the floor. Garia guessed that it was about four yards square, an inch and a half thick, the felt covered by a canvas cover stitched over like a mattress to prevent it wrinkling. The cover looked well-used but still serviceable.

"Let me help you with your skirt, Mistress," Jenet said.

Garia lifted up her arms to let her maid untie the garment and remove it. Jenet then removed the sash, re-wrapping it around Garia's waist so as not to leave so much free before tying it again. Garia pulled the tunic's hem down, settling the too-broad shoulders of the garment on her own.

"I'm not sure what's going to happen next," she told Keren and Jenet. "If I were you, I'd just stay well clear for a while as I get on with it. I'll do the Tai Chi exercises first to loosen myself up and mentally prepare myself. It's something I'd do in any event back on Earth, so it makes sense to keep the routine up."

Keren and Jenet found a bench at the side of the room and sat down to watch. Jenet took the opportunity to empty the rest of the bag's contents out onto the bench, besides the towel there was a bottle of water and three metal beakers. Garia took up a position at one end of the mat and began her preparations.

As she went through the forms her mind cleared, but she was aware that while her body flowed from one to the next there was something different. Partly that was down to the softer surface she stood on, making her take extra care over her balance, but there was something else as well. She felt that she wasn't getting 'into the zone' as she had the other day outside on the field. Still, she felt reasonably loosened and stretched by the time she finished, ready to start the real business of the day.

I'll just start with some simple falls first, she thought. There's no sense doing any fancy stuff yet till I find out how this is all going to work.

She tensed and then fell forward into what was supposed to be a forward roll. Instead of smoothly rolling onto her shoulders and back onto her feet at the other side of the mat she fell badly, tumbling onto her side and rolling uncontrollably into a sprawled heap, hitting the wood floor at the side of the mat with the side of her left ankle with a bang. Both Keren and Jenet winced at the noise.

"Ow!" Garia pushed herself into a sitting position and pushed a finger down the inside of her soft boot to rub her ankle. "That's not supposed to happen."

Stupid. That should definitely not have happened. She cringed at the words that would have come from sensei at home had she fallen so badly then. Sloppy, sloppy. Try more carefully next time. Perhaps the mats are a little softer than you're used to. Yes, that's it. You'll have to compensate.

She stood and returned to her starting position, giving her audience a weak grin as she did so. She looked at the mat, estimating her position and where she intended to arrive at the end of the maneuver. Then she closed her eyes and tried to settle her mind. Her ankle still hurt. She leaned forward into the roll.

This time her whole body stayed on the mat but her final position was more undignified, one leg going over her other shoulder and giving Keren and Jenet a free view of everything, barely disguised by the thin tights she was wearing. Jenet pursed her lips at the exhibition but a side-wise glance at Keren's face showed that his only focus was on concern for Garia. She pulled herself to her feet.

"Uh, this doesn't seem to be going very well at the moment, does it?" she told them ruefully. "Let me try something else."

Damn, damn, damn! What is going on here? Is there some kind of difference here in the laws of physics or something? This should be dead easy, why isn't it? What am I doing wrong?

She attempted a fall to her other side but that ended in another undignified sprawl.

Fine, she thought as she got to her feet again. It must be me, it must be because I haven't done anything like this for a while. Heh, I have been otherwise occupied, haven't I? It's not surprising that I've gotten slack. Her chin set with renewed determination. I can do this, I know I can, I've done it many times before. I've just got to FOCUS, be more precise in my movements. It'll be like the Tai Chi, suddenly everything will come together the way it should.

She tried again and, while she didn't end up on her feet again at the end, it seemed to her that she had started to get a feel for how things should go. Unfortunately the next attempt ended with her banging her right elbow on the floor. Inside, she could feel the anger begin to bubble up. She got to her feet and tried some more times, each failing somehow differently than the previous attempt.

By now she was getting furious with herself for screwing up such simple exercises and she knew that she had to get a handle on her temper. It would be important to be clear-headed when facing an opponent and focus and clarity had been drilled into her as a basic requirement of her art. She walked to one end of the mat, stood with her eyes closed, her body relaxed and willed her breathing to stabilize. Slowly the fire died and her body became calm again. She attempted another roll and ended up spread-eagled on the mat.

Both Keren and Jenet were now becoming concerned about Garia. They had watched her tumble onto the mat like a rag doll but that was obviously not the purpose of the exercise. Keren could see what he thought she was trying to achieve but was unable to work out why she wasn't doing what seemed to be required. Jenet just looked at her mistress doing seemingly inexplicable actions and wished she would stop before she hurt herself.

Garia got up and walked over to them.

"I'm sorry," she said, "I thought this was going to be embarrassing and I guess I was right, wasn't I? I can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong, though. These two moves are so simple anyone should be able to do them. I'm just going to have to work at it for a while, I guess. After all, that's the whole reason we're here, isn't it?" She gave them both an unconvincing smile and returned to her starting position.

I could do that, thought Keren. I can see exactly what she's supposed to be doing, and it's not much different than what we do in our own training. But, if I get on that mat and do it it'll destroy her confidence completely, won't it? After all, this is about her, not me. He cleared his face of all expression and leaned forward to watch her carefully.

Tumble followed fall, flail followed sprawl. She tried some other moves to see if it was something specific but it wasn't. For some reason it appeared that her body just didn't want to do what she thought she was asking it to.

This is RIDICULOUS! she fumed to herself. This can't be happening! I've tried to be calm, focused and precise and NOTHING has made any difference at all! By now several body parts were smarting from knocks or minor sprains and she knew that she was going to have more bruises by the end of the day. A new feeling was beginning to seep into her, one she had rarely ever encountered before: panic. This can't be happening! she thought again. I could do this before, it was easy! Why can't I do it now? I've GOT to do this, I have to! What's going to happen to me if I can't do any exercise at all? I don't want to end up just another feeble girl!

She climbed to her feet yet again, trying to keep her face away from her audience because she was afraid what they would see on it. She took a position at the side of the mat nearest them, facing away, her hands open and down by her sides, desperately trying to calm the humming stress chemicals inside her, struggling to control her breathing. She rolled forward again and again things went awry, this time somehow ending with her face-planting the mat. It was too much. She began shaking and the tears came unchecked.

"I can't do it, I can't do it," she sobbed, raising herself onto her elbows. "What's happening to me?"

Keren and Jenet came to their feet and were there within seconds as Garia rolled into a sitting position, one kneeling down either side of her. Jenet pulled out the inevitable cloth and started dabbing Garia's eyes. Garia put both arms round Jenet's waist and rested her head on the older woman's shoulder, the tears still flowing freely. Keren itched to comfort her as well but he knew he had to be careful here.

"I think it's time you took a break," he said as she quieted. "You've been at it the best part of a bell."

He stood and offered his hand to Garia. She reluctantly took it and he pulled her up easily.

"Thank you," she said, still desperately unhappy. "Perhaps you're right. Keren, it shouldn't be like this, these exercises are easy, basic. I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong."

They helped her to the bench and seated her between them. Jenet filled the three beakers and they each took a drink. It was going to be another hot day, and while the windows were all open as far as they would go, the air in the room was already getting warm. Garia was beginning to have a faint sheen of sweat on her exposed skin. Keren tossed down the rest of his water and then turned to her.

"I think I understand what's happening here," he mused.

Garia raised an eyebrow. How could he possibly know what was wrong? He had no experience in these kinds of arts, surely?

"I think," he continued, "that you're looking at this whole business from the wrong angle. I think that you're approaching this problem the same way I would."

Garia frowned. "But, that's a good thing, surely?"

"Yes, it would be a good thing," he replied, "if you were a boy. Look, you told me, both of us actually, that on Earth you were a boy about my age and size, correct?" She nodded mutely, unable to see what he was getting at. "And what you were doing over on that mat is exactly what I would do in your place. Something doesn't work, you try harder. You concentrate, you try to be more precise, you try to do exactly what you did the last time you got it to work. Am I correct?"

Garia nodded. Of course that's what she should do. Wasn't it?

"Now I don't know a great deal about the way female minds work," Keren smiled, "only Jenet here could tell you that, but I don't think they go about problem solving quite the same way we do. At least I don't think they do all the time. I think you're trying far too hard, far too early. But that's only part of the problem. You see, you've now got an entirely different body to deal with and that's what's causing your main difficulties. If you were a boy like me," he explained, "you'd have shoulders like mine. Instead you've got these."

He put his arm around her shoulders and was shocked by the visceral response his body produced. Maker, not now! Not while I'm trying to explain something important! He briefly hesitated, then, in control of himself again, he held her shoulders again.

"These are fine for a girl and you should be able to do what you want but you're probably compensating wrong because they're not so wide. Then there's these," he pointed to her hips. "Your weight distribution is all different, isn't it? You've got proportionally more of your body down there than I have. And wider hips means that your legs start from different places, don't they? That's got to have some effect on your balance, I would have thought. Not to mention what you have on your chest. Of course, you're now so much lighter than you must have been before, but that doesn't always mean that your muscles are that much weaker. You might be trying far too hard there as well."

Her numb brain tried to consider his words analytically. Her body was her body, wasn't it? The first couple days, true, she was stumbling all over the place, but then it had all smoothed out. She had unconsciously adapted to the body, or so she had assumed that she had. After all, everything had worked after that, hadn't it? Even the Tai Chi exercises? So what could be the problem?

The problem is, this whole body is a totally different shape than the one I had before. What I've done up till now has been totally on automatic pilot, but what I have to do here is control it in a way I've never attempted before. Keren's right, I'm attempting to use my remembered responses of my other body to control this one, and that's never going to work, they're too radically different. This is a girl body, not a boy body, and it's just not going to function the same.

That doesn't mean I can't get the results I want, though. Enough girls can do martial arts. Heck, girls can do a lot more than boys in that respect, can't they? Ballet dancing, cheer-leading, gymnastics, whatever. A girl's body is a lot more flexible than a boy's body.

She turned her face up to Keren's and gave him a weak smile. "Your Highness, I do believe you're right. It's something that should have occurred to me, and it didn't." She handed her beaker back to Jenet. "Now I know the problem, I should be able to do this, but it's going to take me longer than I thought. I've been using this body as though it were my old one, and that's never going to work. I'm going to have to re-learn how to do some things."

Garia stood up and walked back to the mat, seating herself cross-legged facing her two companions. Sitting this way is a heck of a lot easier than when I was Gary. Why didn't I realize that? This body is a lot more flexible than my old one. I guess it's a trade-off, men get speed and strength, women get flexibility and fine control. She looked at her arms, tapering down from the narrow shoulders to her delicate hands. I guess these are going to be shorter than if I was a guy the same size, she thought. But, hey, they seem to get the job done so far. Look at this skin, it's so smooth and soft, just like a baby's. I'm never going to get back the muscle tone I had before, am I? Perhaps I don't need it, though. I must weigh half what I did before.

She looked down at her thighs. Heh, I have a butt the size of Maryland! Okay, that's exaggeration, but they're certainly bigger than DC. She gave a mental smirk. Still, it feels nice and stable, it's a good foundation for this new body of mine. Keren is right, I have to approach this a whole different way. She closed her eyes, meditating.

Keren and Jenet watched as she just sat there, eyes closed. They had little idea what she was doing but they knew that she did, and that was what was important. They both just hoped that she could find the key to getting the most out of the person that she now was.

Garia's eyes flicked open, she unfolded her legs and stood up.

"More experiments," she said. "Nothing special."

She stood in the middle of the mat and swung her arms, round, and round, up and down, to and fro. She leaned over, forwards, backwards, sideways, twisted at her waist as far as she could go. She knew that the Tai Chi was supposed to cover all these limits but it had happened without her consciously being aware of it, this time it was different. Then she laid down flat on her back, swinging her legs as far as they could go in every direction, twisting her hips from side to side, bending her knees, wiggling her ankles.

She stood, moved to one side of the mat, composed herself and rolled. There was a stumble at the end but at least she was standing. The movement she had made was completely different than before. Different mass distribution, different muscle power, different body proportions, all had made a contribution. She felt a glow of satisfaction and she knew that everything was going to be all right.

The next roll was almost perfect and she repeated it several times before changing to the other side. Again, the first one was awkward but after that smooth, smooth. Then she moved on to other exercises and the two watchers knew that she had corrected whatever was wrong. The moves came faster and faster and both wondered at the violence implicit in this tiny figure. Finally she stopped whatever she was doing and came over to them.

"I need another drink."

She settled between them and held out her beaker for Jenet to fill.

"If that's a sample of what you're capable of," Keren remarked, "I'm not sure I want to meet you on a dark night."

She sniffed at him. "And why would that worry you, Your Highness? If you were out on a dark night, you'd have a squad of guardsmen around you, wouldn't you?"

He grinned. "If I met you, I think I'd need them." He sobered up. "Seriously, do you think you have solved your problem now?"

She replied just as seriously. "I don't know. I need to do some steady training to bring my muscle tone up before I can answer that properly. I need to do those movements till I'm sick of doing them, I need them to happen as pure reflex, no thought involved at all." There was a glint in her eye. "And, I'll need at least one sparring partner."

Keren pointed at the mat. "If that's a sample of what you have to offer us, then I want to know about it. Count me in." He gave a wry smile. "If you'll have me, that is."

"As you wish, Your Highness." Garia gave a flourish with her free hand. She turned to Jenet. "How much time do we have left this morning?"

"About a bell, Mistress. Don't forget, you'll have to go back to your suite and change before lunch."

Garia looked down at her sweat-stained clothes. "Oh, yes. I can't possibly turn up looking like this."

"Don't forget, lunch in your suite is an option," Keren reminded her.

Garia shook her head. "Not today. Don't forget yourself, Gerdas is taking us to do some paper-making this afternoon."

Garia returned to the mat and tried to go through all the single-person exercises and moves that she could think of. More than that would definitely require a partner. After a while she stopped to get her breath back. Just moving her body was so invigorating, she was flushed and happy. So happy, in fact, that her cheek muscles ached from the continuous grin on her face.

What else can this body do, she wondered. I reckon there are things I can do now that Gary would never have been capable of. Would never even have considered, in fact. There are things that boys do and things that girls do and there is very little overlap, now I think of it.

I'm a girl now, and that opens a whole load of doors I never knew were there to open. What do girls get up to? Ballet? Pshaw. Don't think there's anything like that going on in Palarand, and it looked like hard work anyway. Cheer-leading? Well, there's a lot involved in that, certainly. Lots of movements, jumping, wriggling and leg-kicking. Hmm. I wonder how high I can get my leg to go? I think I'll leave that experiment for another day. Gymnastics? Hmm. Maybe. I wonder if...

She moved to the floor at the end of the mat and then did a perfect cartwheel across it. Yay! I have never, ever, been able to do that before. Of course, being so light undoubtedly helps. She cartwheeled back. That's good fun! I could enjoy doing this. Her face grew a wide grin as she thought of something else. She moved off the mat to stand facing the others on a clear patch of floor, and then slowly moved her feet apart, sliding on the soft soles of the boots. Both her watchers gaped as she slid slowly down to do a perfect splits, one leg straight out either side of her body.

"I often wondered how girls could do this," she said, "now I know."

"That looks extremely painful," Keren said in an agonized voice.

"It would be for you," she told him. "Women's bone structure is sufficiently different than men's that we can nearly all do it without a problem. Besides which," she smirked, "I don't have any soft bits down there to get squashed, do I?"

Keren's answer was incoherent. Garia leaned forward and brought her legs together behind her, then rose to her feet.

"I think we'd better stop now, don't you think? I'd like to call the session a success, I just wish I could forget all about the first half of it."

"Don't worry, Garia, our lips are sealed," Keren managed a grin. "You plan to do this tomorrow?"

"And so on," she replied, "if Captain Bleskin permits us, of course." She thought. "There are other things I - we - could do," she added. "I'd like to try running round the field a couple times a week, and I'd like to try some of the weights, some of the weapons as well occasionally. That's something we can build up to over the coming days. You must tell me what you normally do when you train with the men."

Jenet handed Garia the towel and she wiped her head, face and neck. She downed the rest of the water and Jenet repacked the bag while Garia wrapped the skirt around her legs. Finally, with Jenet making sure everything looked suitably proper, they headed for the door.

~o~O~o~

"Mother."

"Keren, come in."

The Queen was in her sitting room, reading a document which Kendar had given her. The Chamberlain stood to one side of her chair.

"Uh, it's a personal matter, Mother."

"What? Oh, of course. Kendar, I'll talk to you about this after lunch, if I may."

"Certainly, Ma'am." Kendar bowed and then left the room, closing the door behind him.

"Sit down, dear," Terys said, indicating a chair. "How did Garia's session go this morning?"

"It was awkward to start with, Mother. Although she's been here almost two weeks now I didn't realize that she had such poor control over her body. Don't forget, she hasn't grown up with it, until she came here her body looked much like mine does, or so she has told us."

"I hadn't realized there would be a problem there, dear, but I suppose you're right. Go on."

"I managed to point this out to her."

"You did? That's good insight for someone so young. There are many much older than you, like me, for example, who wouldn't have worked that out quite so quickly."

"Thank you, Mother. Anyway, after that she tried some different things and then it all seemed to flow much easier. You watch her when you next see her, she even walks differently now, although I don't think she's realized that herself."

"So, this morning was a success, then?"

"Oh, yes. You should have seen the smile on her face. Now, it seems I have to get involved as well, and that's where a problem might arise."

"She did say that she would need partners. Oh!" Terys looked at Keren closely. "What happened?"

"We were comforting her when she couldn't get anything to work. I put my arm round her shoulders and, Mother, it was like nothing I've ever experienced before. I didn't know I could have feelings like that."

"Ah. Do you think it will cause a problem for you or Garia?"

Keren sighed. "I'm not sure. It's going to take a lot of will-power on my part, I think. We both know nothing more can happen, if that's what you're thinking. I just wish it wasn't so. I really wish it wasn't so."

"Hmm. Do you want to talk to your father about it?"

"If you think it will do any good. We both know his views on the subject."

"I think it would be better all round if you treat Garia as if she were your younger sister, dear. After all, that's almost exactly the position she holds in the palace at the moment. Try keeping your relationship like that and we'll see what happens. Have you said anything to her yet?"

"No, Mother. I hope the ground would swallow me up before I did that."

"No need to be so shy. She's a pretty young girl, after all, and you're a handsome young man, it's not surprising there's a spark between you. Nevertheless, you know you have to be careful here. Although you aren't betrothed to anyone yet, a day may come when the presence of an apparent rival in the palace may cause us problems."

"I understand, Mother."

~o~O~o~

Garia scowled.

"Mistress? Something wrong? Something we have forgotten?"

Gerdas was sitting beside Keren, facing Garia and Jenet as the carriage took them into the city. Although the leather blinds were pulled up and the four frayen were pulling the carriage along at a reasonable speed, it was still stuffy inside.

"No, Master Gerdas," she replied. "It's only just occurred to me, I carefully chose something light to wear to be able to cope with this weather but it's not going to be appropriate when we get there, is it?"

She was wearing a thin silk-over-cotton gown with a wide neck and short loose sleeves in the usual off-white fabric of most of her summer clothes. It had been carefully chosen to keep her cool, and they had paid special attention to detail as this was Garia's first trip outside the palace since she had arrived. Her one pair of outdoor shoes and a lightweight white straw hat with a fairly wide brim completed the ensemble, ensuring that she would not receive disapproval from any Palarand women who happened across her. Neither Garia or Jenet had considered what the conditions might be like inside of the building where they were going, where the apparatus for making paper had been set up.

"The shed, where the items you asked for have been put, is reasonably clean, Mistress, but how long it will stay this way I couldn't say. I don't know how much you will need to get involved, though. If your part is to seed us with ideas, as I understand it, then you may not wish to visit the sheds and workshops where the guilds conduct their business."

"Oh, but I do, Master Gerdas. There are sure to be questions which I can only answer in person. I'm sure there are much more practical clothes I could have worn than this gown had I thought about it." She gave him a wry smile. "I think I'll have to have another interesting conversation with Mistress Yolda."

He smiled back. "At least it should be a conversation this time and not a major battle."

The carriage pulled into a yard and stopped. Shortly a footman opened the door and Keren gestured Garia to emerge first. In this society at least, a woman could precede royalty where passage through doorways was concerned. After getting out she looked around while the others climbed down from the cabin. A typical factory yard, if one overlooked the fact that it was full of men and animals instead of machinery. Buildings of various heights, ages and construction methods lined the yard. A small delegation emerged from a double doorway in a corner of the yard and approached.

"Your Highness, so good of you to have come," the leader said, bowing towards Keren. He turned to the others. "Master Gerdas, welcome, everything is ready." His eyes went enquiringly to Garia.

"Master Selvar, let me present Mistress Garia to you," Gerdas said. "Despite the evidence of your own eyes, I can assure you that she is the one behind today's demonstration."

"Master Selvar." Garia curtseyed to him and received a bow in return. She noticed the doubtful expression he gave her. "Let's go in, and I'll show you what I'm made of."

The party went in the doorway Selvar had emerged from, leaving the carriage and the escort of six guardsmen in the courtyard. Inside it was much cooler for which Garia immediately gave thanks. It was a large workshop, and at the far end various smiths were hammering and beating away at metal items on their benches. Journeymen and servants were visible feeding charcoal to several furnaces in one corner, but the slight draft through the building thankfully kept the full heat away from the end where the party was. A familiar face came over to greet them.

"Master Tanon." Garia curtseyed.

"Greetings, Mistress. I'm glad you have arrived. We have made the frames as you instructed but I'm afraid I can't quite understand how the process is intended to work. If you'll come with me?"

He led the way over to a bench against the wall upon which was a rectangular copper tank about three feet by two and a foot deep filled with a milky liquid. Beyond that was a huge wooden-framed press with a wooden screw down the middle of it, turned by capstan bars. At the end was a pair of millstones being worked by hand by two journeymen, causing a small stream of milky liquid to ooze into a bucket below the outlet.

Tanon held up a wooden frame, about twelve inches by ten, over which fabric had been tightly stretched and nailed.

"This is what you described, Mistress? I can see that you can pick up the ground wood pulp with it, but I fail to see what you do with it next."

Selvar spoke. "Ah, Master Tanon, it's quite obvious! You collect the pulp and then leave the frame in the sun to dry out the mixture. Isn't that right, Mistress?"

"May I have a look, Master Tanon?"

She took the frame from Tanon and examined it.

"Uh, I think you have the cloth on the wrong way. The smooth side is supposed to be on the outside."

"But, Mistress," Tanon protested, "if the smooth side is outwards then the pulp will slide off, surely?"

"You have to do it that way, because the next step is to sandwich another frame on top and put them both in the press," she explained. "Then you can squeeze water out of the paper and press the fibers together at the same time. Look, I'll show you."

"But, you said the fabric is on the wrong way."

"It doesn't matter so much for this demonstration. It just means the paper will have a slightly rougher surface. Now, can somebody lend me an apron, please?"

One of the journeymen, blushing furiously, found the least dirty apron in the room and Garia put it on with Jenet's help. She took the frame and walked over to the copper tank, asking for and receiving a box to stand on so she was high enough. Holding the frame in both hands she slid it into the tank up to her elbows and swirled the liquid around before slowly raising the frame out again.

There was a thin film of pulp on the cloth. Garia had only ever seen this process demonstrated on television and she had no idea whether it was going to work or not. She examined what she had dredged out.

"I think we need more wood pulp in the mix," she said. The two journeymen brought the bucket across and added it to the tank. "We don't want a sludge," she explained, "more a kind of smooth soup. Let me try now."

This time when she brought out the frame it was clear that a layer of pulp had been deposited evenly across the cloth. She let it drain for a few moments and then asked for the second frame. This was placed on top and then she led the group towards the press. There was a wait until the right sized blocks of wood were found and placed and then the frames were arranged in the press and the pad screwed down, the journeymen heaving on the bars. Everyone watched attentively.

"I have no idea how this is going to work out," she told her audience. "I have seen this done but I am by no means an authority on the process. Once you understand the basic principle it will be up to you to experiment, to try different woods, different ways of grinding or pulping, different textures of cloth, ways of improving the finish of the resulting paper. You do not even need to use wood, it is just that you have a surplus of waste sawdust which can be used to start with. You can try different vegetable matter like straw, grass, even fibers such as are in our clothes. Just experiment, and you will find many answers. Release the press, if you please."

Once the screw had been lifted she took out the two frames.

"Now we have to release the paper from the frames. At this stage it is still damp and very fragile. I'll need a rounded piece of wood that will fit inside this frame, please."

"Oh!" said Tanon. "Now I understand why you asked for that."

He passed over the length of dowel requested and Garia used it to release the paper from the top frame before turning the remaining frame over and repeating the action. The rough sheet of paper fell onto the bench and Garia gingerly picked it up between finger and thumb.

"There you are, gentlemen, Palarand's - Anmar's - first ever sheet of paper. Now it needs to be hung up on a line to dry in the air." She looked at Selvar. "Direct sunlight probably isn't a good idea, since the paper might distort as it dries. Very gentle heat from a nearby fire might do, though. A warm room like this is fine. Once it's dry you can trim the rough edges off and write on it just like you would a piece of parchment."

One of the journeymen quickly hammered out two basic clips from a sliver of sheet iron and the paper was hung up on a line over the bench to dry. There was an immediate rush of questions which Garia did her best to answer. Yes, they could make the frames bigger. Yes, they could use other fabrics than silk, this was just to ensure that they obtained a good result today. Yes, any trimmings could be re-used. The press needn't be that big, they weren't pressing barrels of fruit after all. They could make paper of different thicknesses, thin was called tissue paper, thick was called card. They could add other substances to the mix to improve the surface texture, or for other reasons. Try a small amount of white clay, for example. They might need to mix different inks to get the best out of the paper. Did they realize that they could add dyes to the mix to get colored paper?

Everyone present except Jenet had a go at making a sheet of paper, with variable results. By the time that the royal party had to leave there were twelve sheets hanging from the line, and the guildsmen had broken into small groups to talk animatedly about paper making.

"Another success, Mistress!" Gerdas told her. "If paper is this easy to make, then I can understand how your world has so much of it."

"Master Gerdas, you have no idea." Garia thought she would wait some time before she told him that on Earth people used it to blow their noses or wiped their bottoms with it. "Getting a consistent product might not be so easy, though. We'll leave these gentlemen to have fun experimenting for now. We have to be getting back to the palace for the evening meal, and then we have a meeting afterwards."

"I'm looking forward to it, Mistress! The things we have to discuss tonight all affect my craft greatly."

"Astronomy is no longer a craft, Master Gerdas, it should properly be called a science."

Before they left Garia was presented with her sheet of paper, ironically carefully wrapped inside a folder of parchment to protect it. She would be displaying it during the evening's meeting. The carriage returned through the baking streets to the palace and everyone immediately retired to their rooms to prepare for dinner. In Garia's case that meant having the third bath of the day before selecting a suitable evening gown to wear. This was, of course, full length and of the finest fabric she could find to make the evening heat as bearable as possible.

When they got to the dining room they found Gerdas animatedly talking to Parrel, who had arrived in advance of the meeting. Parrel's journeyman Tarvan stood alone to one side, ignored by the two Masters deep in conversation. Garia took pity on him and went over to greet him.

"Uh, I'm sorry, I don't know how to address you," she said with a smile.

"Um," Tarvan stammered, coloring, "Mistress, I don't have a title, you should just use my name. When I finish my indenture I would be called Master like Master Parrel, but until then I'm just Tarvan. If I were to own a property in Palarand then I could be called Freeman, but I'm not the son of a merchant or land-owner so I have no title."

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that, Tarvan." She leaned forward and whispered conspiratorially into his ear. "Actually, I'll let you into a secret, I don't have lands either, and you can see I'm not a merchant. I've no idea why they call me Mistress."

"But, but for women it's different, Mistress. The rules are complicated, but mostly it is the case that a woman's status is derived from her father's or her husband's status."

"That makes it even worse," she said. "I have no father or husband on Anmar. Still, my father on Earth could be considered a merchant, so perhaps I am being addressed correctly. Now, I have a question for you. I assume you've been journeyman for some time, you understand the basics of your craft?"

"Aye, Mistress, that is so. I have less than one year left of the six, I know about most aspects that a metalsmith needs to know." He stopped, thought, then grinned at her shyly. "I was going to say, Mistress, that you could ask me questions but there are things that are secret to the guilds, but then I realized that you probably know more than we do anyway. Is that not so?"

Garia smiled back. "Yes and no, Tarvan. I probably know quite a bit about what you're taught for your craft, but what I don't know is how your state of knowledge on Anmar compares to that on my home world. Do you follow me?"

"Ah, of course, Mistress. What did you want to know?"

"Copper." Tarvan nodded. "Do you have techniques for drawing copper wire?" He looked at her questioningly. "Um, wire as fine as the thickness of my fingernail, say?"

"Aye, Mistress," Tarvan answered slowly. "We can draw wire from copper like that, although I don't know if we make it that fine. It would be too weak for use as a binding or as a filigree decoration in a jewelry piece if the wire was that thin."

Garia's smile was wide. "That sounds good enough to me. How long a piece could you draw, do you think? A foot? A stride? A mark?"

Tarvan goggled at her question. "But... Mistress! Why would you ever need a fine copper wire that long? Do you make nets, ropes from it?"

"Something entirely new to Anmar, Tarvan. Something that will make a huge difference to your entire world."

Tarvan stared at her. "Mistress, should you be talking to me this way? Should you not address your questions to Master Parrel?"

"Master Parrel will shortly find that he has too much work to do it all himself, and I think you'll be handling different projects all of your own. Besides, what I'm asking about is still in the planning stage as yet, and those two are busy at the moment." She indicated the two Masters.

"As you say, Mistress. Uh, your question, I suppose that you could draw any length you required, if you had enough copper and the fuel to melt it with."

Garia nodded, and gave Tarvan another smile as she rested her hand briefly on his arm. "Thank you Tarvan, that's just what I hoped you'd say. We'll continue this discussion another time, I think. Tell me, how is the production of forks coming on?"

Tarvan grinned. "Master Parrel has contracted out manufacture of forks, just as Her Majesty guessed he would. I believe that they will be delivered to the palace weekly for some time to come." He fumbled at his pouch and came up with a cylinder of cloth. "To demonstrate the item to our fellow metalsmiths we had some samples made, and neither Master Parrel nor myself can eat a meal without having a fork nearby now. I can't imagine how I ever managed without one before. We have brought our own to use at the King's table."

Tarvan unrolled the cloth to display his fork. Garia took it and held it up to the light to examine it. The metalsmiths had made their samples to a different pattern than that of the palace cutlery but they still looked like a good, well-finished product to Garia. She handed the fork back.

"You've made a good job of that."

"Thank you, Mistress."

"Now, shall we take our seats ready for the meal?"

up
388 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Somewhere Else Entirely -17

Seeing Garia lean about her body and how it's different was a change from the Court theatrics.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

This ongoing story is one of

This ongoing story is one of the more fascinating ones Ive read in recent years. Thanks for writing it, and for continuing to write it.

Copper wire huh? I'm thinking either an electromagnet or an electrical generator using a lodestone, though Im not sure how much energy a spinning lodestone will generate. Perhaps a chemical battery? But then you'd need zinc and copper tablets.

The martial arts aspect also seems cool. I like it.

Can't help at rolling my eyes at Garia

for not realizing that she had to adapt style to a new body. That is actually a pretty basic tenet of martial arts and is why certain forms are better for one gender vs another I think.

Anyway, electricity all ready? Two words: Air Pollution unless everybody uses hydropower. She should be making a mint in this place from royalties of all things she is providing. Terys should be her agent.

So what is she, is she a boy or a girl? Clearly on some fundamental level she still thinks of herself as a he so more correctly doesn't that make her a guy still? It is a basic tenet of being TS is that what is between the ears that matter after all.

Kim

Boy or Girl?

Um, currently she's a boy's mind in a female brain, suitable marinated in female hormones. Only one way this can go, but it hasn't been a fortnight yet since she arrived, so she still has the old Gary habits unless she thinks carefully.

Penny

Well I guess she has more

Well I guess she has more important things to worry about at the moment, or that would be a major point to freak out ^^

On the plus side she's not really transgendered since she's got a female brain for some reason.
I kind of wonder though how "plot device" managed to transform her brain without wiping her memories or personality.

Thank you for writing this awesome story,

Beyogi

hmmm.

Garia isn't going to be clumsy, awkward little girl much longer is she? Learing how her new body works should also help a lot with her self confidence, as if she's been lacking much in that regard most of the time. But now she should have the 'presence' that any confident young woman possesses. As to how she'll handle men, and one especially? It's still a learning curve for her and one that will keep growing as things progress.

Maggie

Whether she realizes it or not, she is already doing

... a pretty good job of it I think. Gary must have been a naturally nice person to begin with and being femmed like this only takes the edge off of it. Like Lilith's characters, she is making a go of it instead of lamenting on what was or could have been, though I suspect she may feel that one day. I wish those 'beings' who did this would give her the means to see her original family one day though it does not seem likely.

Kim

Family

A tricky one. Let's just say we haven't quite seen the last of Earth, although that might come as a shocker.

Penny

Not *quite* the last of Earth...

Let's see - there could be a few ways of doing that.

a) Flashbacks to Gary's life
b) A character from Alaesia getting stranded on Earth (although that would make an entirely different story!)
c) Another Earthling appears, and we either see some of their history, or they meet Garia and the two 'compare notes'
d) At some point in time, a mechanism is found which could return Garia to Earth (if I were in her shoes, I'd probably vote to stay - after all, although she's been through a huge upheaval in recent weeks, she's starting to guide an entire society through rapid technological advancement - that's got to be more rewarding than what Gary would have done had he remained on Earth!)
e) Something else entirely :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Last page

Fortunate this isn't a paper novel. I would be soooo tempted to check the last page.

Last Page

The last page has already been written. Trust me, you really, really don't want to read it yet.

Penny

Spinning wheel

Could a simplecrank on a wheel(cart) be the next idea

poo pooing dance

I notice that she is dismissing dance here as being out of the question though we do not know what the cultural mores for dancing are for women here. I do believe the vast majority of societies have some form of dance and she should not dismiss the possibility out of hand though this society is so damn conservative she might be right. I mean in Chinese culture, women dance for entertainment of men even and fully clothed to boot. If this society is more modeled on western ones then some kind of male/female dance would make sense but context is lacking for an educated guess I am afraid.

This story has a lot of things to run into. Intertwined it all is the love story of Kieran and Garia slowly building which is very sweet.

Kim

Not just dance, but music

Not just dance, but music all together, has been curiously missing so far. Probably misses a lot of instruments as well. I know there's a lot of both wind and string instruments that really needs finer smithery techniques than there seems to be in Anmar at this time.

One thing I think she should do, when she has paper and pencils (or something able to make fine lines and preferably being erasable) is to make lots of drawings, if she has the skill to do that. Draw the basic ideas behind the piano as well as the shape. Draw a guitar. Draw any number of machines or mechanisms that she knows about. Take the watch apart one piece at a time and get it drawn. Then figure out a power source and make a macro-copy, since she's probably a bit away from being able to make a 1:1 scale copy. And she really, really needs to learn their written language, or teach them hers. (Well, it's quite obvious which of those alternatives is going to be easiest to achieve...)

paper

Sadarsa's picture

Now that she has 'invented' paper, im sure she could do just that.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Dance

Just not on her radar at the moment. Will appear soon. As a guy Gary would have been dismissive of ballet so wouldn't know the first thing about it. Ballet is an extremely formalized dance style which would be as meaningful to Palarand as something from, say, Thailand or Japan. She's going to have to learn the local styles.

She's not going to be taking the watch apart any time soon either, she'll need it. Besides, dismantling a quartz analog watch is probably going to tell her and the locals precisely nothing. How do you explain a tiny circuit board with some strange metallic blobs (surface-mounted components) to people who haven't even been told about electricity at this point? Even if Gary had some vague idea how it worked there's no way he could analyze the parts and recreate it. The mechanical parts, maybe. They do have jewelers, after all.

Reading and writing the language is coming soon, but the poor girl's very busy. And soon to get busier...

Penny

fun as always

Sadarsa's picture

The first chapter or two i was iffy about this series, but that didn't last long. Now i check the listings every day in anticipation of the next release. I absolutly love this series. Keep up the good work, as i cannot wait to see what happens next.

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

Thank you

I try to post about once a week - when Real Life (tm) permits me to. I'd like to post a little more often but them's the breaks. I'm pleased that you like what I write, but it does mean I have set a standard to keep up to and I'll try as best I can. Lots of fun things to happen yet!

Penny

Clay or Limestone in Paper

I never worked in the paper industry, but I think I remember some of the finer papers for printing were referred to by the amount of clay they had in them. It's all a foggy memory, someone would have to check me on that.

Great episode.

Khadijah

Electrickery

I assume the local smiths know how to make magnets, so with a plentiful supply of thin copper wire, it should be possible to build a dynamo. As for driving it, since they already use fires as their main source of heat, just run some water pipes through the flue and create a miniature CHP plant.

Presumably Garia already has an idea of what she wants to do with the generated electricity - they don't yet have the technology to make wires fine enough for an incandescent light bulb, nor the ability to extract noble gases to fill it with or create a fluorescent tube. So that rules out lighting. They already get their heat from fires, so probably wouldn't see the need for an electric heater.

Unless, of course, she's got a completely different idea on what to do with the resulting wire...

Meanwhile, she's starting to take notice of the shape, flexibility and sensations of her body, so learning to adapt exercises to suit it, and train until the 'new' form of exercises have implanted themselves into her new muscle memory, rather than rely on the muscle memory of her old body. And Keren's feeling the hots for her. As Terys says, it's best for him to try and ignore those and treat her as a sister - after all, although she's got the wisdom of a Questor and board/lodgings within the palace, she doesn't have any 'local' heritage or ancestry so wouldn't be viewed as suitable marriage stock for any nobles (no doubt much to her relief!)

Finally, on the issue of gender identity, I'd say that although Gary wasn't TG in any way, he wasn't misogynistic but was very open minded. So now he's Garia, a female, it's slightly inconvenient but no big deal. After all, she can't exactly wave a magic wand and return to Gary - or Earth. Besides which, with her attitude of gender equality, Palarand may end up having a social revolution in the next few years, never mind a technological / industrial one!

As for ballet, there's no doubt some cultural stereotypes seeping through, but back on Earth, Gary didn't participate in ballet so probably wouldn't have much idea of the moves / dance styles anyway, let alone the terminology. And as for cheerleading - given she's having to do basic gynmastics behind closed doors, the extreme gymnastics and body-hugging costumes of cheerleaders would probably be viewed as almost pornographic in Palarand / Alaesia. They're probably more used to dances similar to the stately Pavane.

As for musical instruments, a piano would be a major feat of engineering - 84 keys, in the region of 200 strings (there are two or three strings per key), the series of levers between the key and hammer, the metal frame, and last but not least, tuning the beast. It's probably safer to see what musical instruments they've already got and suggesting improvements / redesigns. The brass section of the orchestra would probably be the easiest to manufacture, unless you count percussion :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Electricity and music

My thinking about electricity is that the generator-distance power transfer-motor system is most likely.

As for the instruments - any type of xylophone/marimba/vibraphone/glockenspiel-like instrument is probably rather easy to make for somebody with a musical ear and the required carpentry and/or smithery skills. The innovative distance from them to a celesta is rather small, and for those instruments there you have the basic keyboard layout for a piano (smaller range though). The celesta reminds to a great deal of a standing piano, visually. String instruments you can arrive at from the other end, probably easier. Then hapsichord for the grand piano visual style. Finally the merging of the percussion type of instruments with the string type. On the way there you'll have made a whole lot of different instruments with different natures. Also, the piano - you can start small, don't need the full range from onset, and a country like Palarand is likely to have carpenters well able to make instruments like pianos. (Question is, can they make the strings?)

But we have no idea where they are standing, music wise. They probably have some kind of music tradition already, and their own music styles and instruments. If it's notably different to the European tradition, Garia might find it hard to base any innovation in.

And a thought, along with the instruments, it's likely she will need to introduce modern music notation. On paper, which she has just introduced :)

Music is probably a hands off subject for now actually

I mean even on good ol earth, there is the 8 note, 5 note and 16 note systems for Western, Traditional Chinese and Arabic. Betcha there are other tribal traditions we don't know about. Musical notation would have to be pretty different and forget about introducing the Beatles :).

I would suggest she would be the one adapting to their world first before she would even consider introducing Music which she probably does not remember much of - unless she came with a REALLY well stocked ipod.

Kim

Musical notation

The modern twelve-semitone scale is logarithmic. An octave represents the doubling or halving of the frequency. There are twelve semitones in each octave. To go up one semitone, multiply the frequency of the previous semitone by the twelfth root of two.

This is based on the fact that chords sound best when they involve whole-number ratios of the frequencies -- 1:2, 2:3, 3:4, 3:5, and so on. The twelve semitone scale closely approximates this. Bach liked to use this scale, and wrote 'On a Well-Tuned Clavier' to take advantage of it. Tuning the instrument to the actual whole-number yields a good sound, but forces the music to be played in a fixed key. It is less versatile, in other words.

I have heard of two other alternate systems. I don't recall exactly how many semitones they used, but they were in the 40s or 50s somewhere. I'm sure a quick google search will turn up the information.

Well I have a basic understanding of that

Old Chinese music is a pentatonic scale I believe so any staffing will be different. I guess the equivalent of bass and treble clefs may be true but note granularity would be different. I guess I was more trying to point out that what is considered valid notes on the scale may wee be considered different. Having grown up in the west I appreciate the tradition 8 note division of an octave of music vs say the pretty ear annoying 5 note system of old Chinese operas.

There is no way to know what their music will sound like. Musical progression and society reflect each other if I recall my music appreciation class.

Granted with the diversity of music available now, it is less obvious as which music represents the current state of society but during earlier times such as the transition in the 1700s to the 1800s when 'classical' music transitioned to the romantic music period ( which a lot of people lump together as 'classical' ) it was more reflective of the changes societies in the Europe were going through as their is no mass media to mask or exaggerate trends.

Long and short, music is still hands off for the most part but I do say there are some works that have stood the test of time and societal differences such as Beethoven's works may very well go down very well. Now Nine Inch Nails, well I don't think there is enough angst to justify that kind of music in this society I think.

Kim

Music

Seeing as how I haven't actually got around to introducing music yet, you've given me some ideas to chew on. I may modify my original intentions to take note of some of the things you've said, and that I've obviously not thought through sufficiently ^!^

Penny

Lute Strings

Stringed instruments traditionally were strung with 'cat gut,' which is made, IIRC, from the intestines of various animals. No cats, please! Old stringed instruments were definitely low tech affairs. For instance, the frets of a lute were made by tying cat gut around the neck.

Well, there were also tendon

Well, there were also tendon and vine strings used. But for higher quality sound and instruments, especially those with a great resonance box like the grand piano, where changing a string and tuning is not for laymen, strings need to be made of materials sturdier and more resistant to changes in the environment, and which age slower.

Light Bulbs

The very first successful incandescent light bulb, made by Edison, had a filament that consisted of cotton thread impregnated with carbon black. It was manufactured by turning the wick of a kerosene lamp too high and removing the carbon.

Considering the fact that Garia is well-read, I would expect that she knows that.

Edison tried hundreds of filament materials before finding one that worked well. Garia can definitely save the craftsmen a lot of time by letting them start with a cotton/carbon filament. They can play with tungsten once they figure out how to obtain and work the stuff. It's not an easy metal to work.

If I was in a similar situation, I could show them how to make a Lee DeForest type triode tube and use it to make a radio transmitter and receiver. Garia may be able to give them a good hint. Come to think of it, I could have made a triode when I was in junior high school, but I was a serious geek. I remember checking 'The Radio Book for Boys' or something like that from the junior high library.

Bull's-eye!

Aaaand... we have a winner! You have summed up what's going on almost exactly spot-on.

Couple of points -

Copper wire, she's definitely thinking ahead. There's a big problem with the city being stuck in basically a flood plain in the middle of a big valley filled with sediment.

Light bulbs, not so much. There's another technology to come which will fit that niche better at this stage of Anmar's development.

Heating, well, not heating dwellings, perhaps, but "heat" can be so useful, don't you think?

Her body, yup, people are definitely going to start noticing her around...

"Wisdom of a Questor", not really, just read a lot and watched some TV. Remember her age. She's not really old enough to have sufficient real-life experience to become wise. Yet. Quite a lot of what went in has stuck, though, and this becomes important in the future. She's been careful to tell everyone so far that she's not an expert.

As for dancing of any type, which would also imply musical instruments, we just haven't come across that situation yet - but we will do, and soon. I'm not sure about keyboard instruments but they would probably have some reasonable brass/woodwind/string/percussion instruments in a society such as this.

Thank you for reading!

Penny

Wisdom

OK, perhaps not quite the experience to be truly 'wise', but in terms of knowledge, because the twenty first century is so much more technologically advanced than Anmar's, a lot of what we would consider common knowledge would be only accessible to Questors and well educated crafts/tradesmen over there (e.g. telescopes, science [astronomy, chemistry, biology, physics]). In comparison to peers on Earth she would probably be slightly above average, but in Anmar...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

If wire is limited in quantity and quality ...

Electric lighting is not the best use of their limited manufacturing resources given this seems roughly a mid renaissance level civilization. IE they have early telescopes -- mid/late 1500s on Earth -- but not movable type and the printing press -- late 1400s on Earth -- nor cloth/wood fiber paper only velum and other animal derived sources. I forget how far back rag bond paper goes, at least to early mass printing of books but a machine to make paper was first invented by the French around the time of the American revolution or so.

Plus that requires, or at least works best with, generators, power distribution and so on.

BUT a telegraph is far easier to set up and VERY useful. And as it uses far less resources and far less electricity. It could be powered by gravity cell batteries as was common in the USA or lead/acid or iron/nickel storage cells hooked up to small wind generators. This was very common on farms a while back using one of those once ubiquitous turbine style windmills and a modified car generator. A small generator should be feasible and if the quality of the copper wire isn't up to snuff, alloying with a little silver or gold will make it more ductile and conductive. Eventually you can scale up to electrolytic refining of smelted copper to pure copper but that can be very polluting if not done carefully.

BTW I believe many early telegraph lines were iron wire with a buried ground plate so the damp earth was part of the circuit. So you can do it with only one wire if necessary. And the learning curve from a telegraph to a telephone to eventually radio is a fast one. A mercury vacuum pump was a key to Edison's success with the light bulb. Just need skilled glass blowers to make one and the bulbs too. Specially treated bamboo became the best filaments until tungsten though I though some platinum group metals did work okay. But I'd reserve that tech at first to make modified light bulbs with a tiny screen grid and a separate wire inside to make a triode tube or valve as the Brits say. AM radio would be so very useful for commercial and military communication. So much better than spark gap radio but even that worked well enough. Also great for warning of a coming flood or other disasters.

And with the vacumn tube, telegraph and telephone you have nearly every thing needed to make an electric gitar and amplifier ....ROCK OUT!

sorry.

Her greatest contribution in the long run is to improve COMMUNICATION and the transmission/recording of ideas and information . With that CAN quickly come universal education and a rapidly innovating society. THEY will have the advantage that she knows enough to warn them of mistakes we made, way to minimize pollution and wasting resources and maybe even minimize disruption to society, sort of a planned or regulated industrial revolution.

We hear from Earth again? Hum??????

Great tale.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

I'm always real eager to

I'm always real eager to read the next chapter when I see it up! Thank you!

Frankly she should really take a break and take stock

... she needs some time alone to adjust to who she is in a more introspective way and all her introductions to technology needs to sink in a bit so Palarand can adjust also. She above all needs to work at getting herself considered literate in terms of language and society. One cannot change what one cannot understand. A little perspective on societal structure might make it easier for her to figure out if certain technologies are just a little wrong or too early for this society.

Kim

Taking a break

Yes, indeed. Things are a little breakneck at the moment, aren't they?

Don't worry, she'll have some down time enforced on her soon ^_^

Penny

Enforced downtime?

Does that mean that she'll want to invent Midol next?

Ugh!

I forgot all about the 'P' word or is it more the 'R' word. Well hopefully this society has an herbal way of helping with that. Did I not say that medicine should be done before tech? Medicine can exist without tech and one cannot have tech without live people, ergo medicine is more important then tech. Medicine can be facilitate and advanced by tech but this early on, even basic cleanlinest doctrines would cut down on a lot of things. For instance, do the food preparers in the palace clean their hands after going potty and before making that wonderful RAW salad ( assuming they eat raw salads ) How do they keep clean water for that matter?

Kim

No Midol

As I don't think Midol is available outside the States, or at least not by that name, I can't answer that question. Gary might have heard of Midol, after all he has a mother, but being a guy would probably steer clear of such icky matters.

As for what they do on Anmar, well, you'll just have to wait and see...

Penny

Midol

Midol is just a pain reliever like any any other. It uses lots of different active substances depending on which midol preparation, with paracetamol, naproxen or ibuprofen as main substance and a variation of secondary substances.

Speaking of which, one thing she should do is find out if the flora here includes willow trees, that would give her access to acetylsalicylic acid (aspirin) as a pain reliever. (Though the methods of purifying it from willow bark, I have no idea how those work and probably neither does she.)

Soooooo familiar... :"(

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

Garia put both arms round Jenet's waist and rested her head on the older woman's shoulder, the tears still flowing freely. Keren itched to comfort her as well but he knew he had to be careful here.

For me, all the fetters on emotional expression is the worst part of being male. I deal with the sort of situation described above by asking permission: “Do you want a hug?” I feel rotten and less than human every time I have to ask, but it is better than just standing there looking stupid and feeling miserable. Even if the offer is declined, at least I have expressed something.

Martial arts

I can’t wait for the queen to see her practiced

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Easier said than done

Jamie Lee's picture

Well, the next meeting with Yolda went so much better, or it appeared to be better; there was no real indication of discord from Yolda.

Garia has been a bit hyper since she regained her memories, remembering she was once Gary on Earth. She seems to get easily frustrated, as she did with Yolda, when she's only seen as a young girl. Where Gary never had to try and introduce ideas to some with concrete feet, Garia does and she needs to learn how to use the carrot instead of a stick. She needs to learn how to use guile and sugar to get what she needs.

Garia has learned two things about herself, Tai Chi works the same as it did when she was Gary on Earth. The other, thanks to Keren, other movements will be different because of her new body, and will take time to make adjustments. One she hasn't learned about yet, and may soon, is something that may freak her out the first time it happens. But when it occurs she may not feel like getting out of bed.

So far Garia has been a guide, a finger pointer, and she sure has several people excited with there paper making. And with Tanton so excited, they will likely be refining their process in short order and be producing quality paper.

Copper wire has many uses, depending on the need or idea. Without a power generator electricity is out of the question at the moment. If she can find magnet and uses the copper for motor windings then electricity could be possible. Telegraph? Still need a power source of some kind. Build a battery and charge it during the rainy season from lightning, which she assumes will occur? Hopefully if this is her plan she will take into consideration amps/volts and the power of lightning. Or someone will get killed.

Keren is to treat Garia as a sister? After being with her and watching her work? Terys may want Keren to do his duty to join two houses or whatnot, but it may not go as she wants.

Others have feelings too.

On Earth

We would say that mice and men make plans but the gods mock them... One supposes that on Anmar the Maker mocks the plans of mice and men!