FTL-1...Faster Than Life.

Printer-friendly version

FTL…

Faster Than Light…

Faster Than Life…

It’s a saying a parable of sorts from the old days. It used to be you’d be dead and gone and your great grand kids would be the ones arriving to where you used to be heading. Then came the great invention of FTL space flight. The basic theory of it requires the ship involved to have a man made micro-singularity as the engine core. It creates its own gravity and when you jump it’s using a particle beam to link it to another gravity well or a star and your ship is attracted to the larger field.

People used to think that you couldn’t go faster than light but a black hole pulls light in so that’s like a catch 202 in the theory. The PTP or Point to Point travel required things to be shielded. You had to or when you crossed the light speed threshold you broke apart, became energy, so part of that gravity force that comes off the core is what holds you together. It’s another reason that you need a singularity; the power to hold things together is well you know what I mean.

So know you can go if you can afford to on a FTL ship and jump to other stars and do it well within your own life spans. You never feel it because the jump does this kind of time freeze or slow down inside a jump, but you can take anywhere from hours to weeks or even months according to GST. Galactic Standard Time. The closer you are to your jump point the faster you go so it’s all relative?

Is all of this safe? Yes? No? I’m not sure. The shielding keeps us from getting shredded by debris because we’re quantumly dense or something. But the thing is, coming out of jump. That you gotta do outside the solar system or you get snagged by the gravity well and you either get snagged by the gravity well and could damage your ship, or hit a well full of debris, or slam into the star. Not counting all the ones who end up hitting each other coming out of the jump but that’s all pretty rare. But it’s not just flying around either.

Bad and strange things are said to happen though if the shielding fails, or there’s a leak. You see there are these particles out there that we don’t know much about. Some of them get called Chronotons and other trippy head case names but what mankind knows so far is that getting exposed to this energy changes you. Random body parts getting exposed often leads to that part rapidly aging, or mutating like the cellular evolution went sideways or that it just sped up. There a fundamentalists that point to this as a sign than man was not to break god’s laws. “Let there be light.” Was to be taken literally, Keep off the grass, don’t proceed beyond this point, don’t touch the damned apple.

We’re Humanity do you think we’d ever listen?

And with that aplomb we hit the stars from our home system of Earth and hadn’t really looked back.

***

My alarm program woke me up buzzing my nervous system with neuro-stim sensations that woke me out of REM sleep. I opened my eyes and yawned still shaking out the haze of sleep as my implants were working overtime.

It’s the 43rd century and everyone is implanted. Just about anyone from civilization has an OBC or On-Body- Computer. It’s like how our ancestors used to use watches and phones and all that other stuff. It’s hooked through your brain by nano-connections and it lets you function as a member of normal society. It regulates the production of chemicals and hormones through you body to help you do stuff like control your breathing and heart rate, tells you when you’re getting sick and lets you do all sorts of computing functions.

You might think that it seems distracting but it’s not. You click thinks off as they appear in your visual perceptions and it’s almost autonomic for most of it. Like recognizing a shape or a color. Sending or receiving messages are just like thoughts, they’re bursts of information that you just get used to dealing with.

Human life span is now close to two hundred years, most organs get replaced by cloned ones except for the brain. All they can do is give you stem boosters after you hit one twenty or so the OBC’s actually help with cognitive functions well past the old human life spans.

And I’m being boring…Sorry I’m still not used to a narration about anything really I’m no Sim-Sense star/actor.

I guess what’s the point of this? Well you see it started like this…

Like I said I woke up at my preset time and did my daily routine and was getting myself some food, soy-bacon and synth-milk, perfect- egg, and then brushed my teeth. I set off jogging trying to work my way up to the requirements needed for starship duty. You had to be in a certain level of conditioning to get duty on a ship and being sedentary is a bit of an issue with cyber technology letting you live in your head so much. Or if you’ve grown up in a certain environment, the Colonies of United Humanities or the Colonial Union for short have certain requirements for anyone to be at while in service, if you’re not “Ship-Shape” then you’re a danger to the others around you.

I’ve really had enough of Arcadia.

Don’t get me wrong this is a beautiful place and I’ve net-jumped on Sim-Sense trips to places all over the colonies and Sim-worlds too with friends but there’s nothing like reality. Imagine eating a big juicy steak now compare that to actually having the steak.

See that’s the thing, I’m fifty three, still young but at the same time I’ve never really, really lived. Never had a physical relationship, never been off planet, hell never been physically off the continent.

I want to live, I want to eat steak.

I’m nearly there to the readiness levels to go to Fleet and enter one of the programs there. I’m good at Math and physics being touched with altered temporal and physical reality conformation. Aspergers they used to call it but now a days it’s actually seen as an advanced aptitude in your perceptual focus. We see the world in a way that others aren’t able to, most people get brain tied over the though of the math that goes into actually making the magnetic counter sheer event that creates a force field, us we’ll get fascinated by the math and the fact it was used to make the pretty shiny. Once socially awkward we’re more mainstream now with the OBC’s able to transmit our thoughts into transmissions we can be just like anyone else.

Actually we’re in high demand because of our skill-sets we often find ourselves drawn to. Me…I’m looking to actually get into navigation and really getting into fourth dimensional mathematics and using it to plot courses and move fifty thousand tones through space and bending time.

I run my route from my apartment and over the paved jogging paths and I’m tuned into a favorite selection of music that I’ve plotted out and I run, I’m doing quite good actually with the entire work out plan, there’s something to be said about actual physical activity. Oh I can get an endorphin rush from my system but it’s the aches and pains and the feeling of my body changing getting into a level of fitness that’s so addicting. Plus I’m doing something.

There’s so much we don’t do in the everyday because well…machines do it for us.

There’s about twenty percent of the population that really do anything. These are mostly the religious types though. Most of them don’t ascribe to the usage of cyberware. In fact religion is one of the few things that good clean logic hasn’t been able to erase.

The hard core ones actually are openly hostile to body-mod’d people of any kind and are against still a whole host of things. In fact there’s a planet or group of planets out there colonized with every different sect or faith some people can think of. They start wars and border and trade disputes and are still universal pains in the ass.

Arcadia is a very conservative world where the faithful have been here since it was colonized, we’re a mostly agricultural planet and have actual limits on body modification and cybernetics. A good example is me. I’ve been trapped in the pretty much straight male for that I was born in and despite the fact that being transgendered isn’t seen as anything more than a medical condition that can be re-wired by the right neuro-mapping when you get you OBC put in and hence “Cured” the medical need is ignored if you don’t want then messing with who you really are. The fact that I didn’t want them to rewire my brain is actually seen as freakish by people. I mean who would want to be like that or gay or whatever…thus this is why I’ve never told anyone just who the real me is. Aaron Stone is actually Erin Stone and always will be.

But when you join the fleet they will work with you to become the best you that you can be. As long as you fit the bill to do the job they don’t care about “Medical” issues.

My family is all for me leaving home and them because having a son who chooses to be a deviant is embarrassing for them.

Like the way some towns and regions used to be like this, so is my home colony. A close minded rinky dink mud ball of people who don’t want different in their lives. I’m just glad it’s not some of the really bad places where they’ll make you conform. But this is really just bad enough that it’s been slowly killing me for the last twenty years.

I spend most of the week doing that. Like I said I’m nearly at that point where leaving is becoming a reality. I work out, mostly running and swimming there’s a routine I have where I collect metal balls from the bottom of the pool. Holding my breath and swimming underwater are recommended in several net-tomes for getting ready for zero gravity. I’m linked up to several VR classes I do work outs in VR with other people instead of going to a gym which we don’t have, these are Pilates, Aerobics, Yoga, Tai-Chi all of them that we’re really doing and socializing in these classes. But I’m actually doing the exercises even though I’m wearing an avatar that’s female. I’m not beautiful here, not blushing hot thing just an extrapolated skin of what I’d look like based on my own bio-data and my family tendencies.

Light brown hair that I keep at regulation length, I’ve got dimples that are a tad too big for my personal tastes because they make me think I look chubby or a little so when I smile and freckles. My eyes are my only vanity, I’ve always wanted to have green eyes and here I do. B-Cup Breasts, a bit of a big butt because I’ve got big hips like this. It’s all a Sim though because when I move I can’t really feel the same things, the right things.

I give away or sell or ship away most of the things in my apartment and sell my lease as well and put the final down payments on a set of cottage domes out in lake country. I meet a few friends that are real people in town one last time and stop by the family house to say my farewells.

I rode my bicycle there. It’s a new vice for me. In a world of very good public transportation and a few personal vehicles bikes are a rare thing. It’s not efficient to get off your ass and actually do something. I attract a few stares as I pedal my way through the gently rolling streets and past all the neo-fiber homes with the solar siding and solar windows and all molded and designed to look like very pale tones but very nice homes with turreted windows and lovely yards and decks and everything looking just…well it is pretty much machine ordered. Yes you’re external maintenance bot keeps everything cut trimmed and pruned just so.

I grew up here, there’s almost no children playing just the really young ones out with their nurses or the rare mother making sure that the children get to perform their mandatory exercises so they develop normally and can be bust little clones just like everyone else here. I know I’m used to it, or I should be used to it but it’s a little creepy.

I pull into the house and set the kick stand of the bike and head up the walk smiling at bit at the calorie count and burn rate percentage. I walk up to the door and it doesn’t open. I send a net-signal with my ID to the house; I get dumped to the junk mail folder as an unregistered user.

Nice, really nice apparently they erased me from the family systems. My family unfriended me…Lovely.

I knock. I have to because we don’t use doorbells any more and the house isn’t recognizing my code.

I knock until I get an answer. My mother opens the door and looks at me. She’s got that fed up but uptight not impressed look. “Aaron.”

“Hey Mom, can I come in/”

“Why?”

“I’m leaving soon for the Fleet. I thought it would be nice if we spent some time together before I left. I mean I don’t know how long it’ll be before I come home again.”

“But You won’t be coming back will you? You’re gallivanting off to god knows were and you’re going to get changed while you’re out there with them.”

“Mom I’m still going to be me. I told you that before. There’s nothing wrong with me.”

“You keep letting your illness do the talking for you Aaron. You could have had that disease in you fester away and causing all sorts of embarrassment for us. You should have just started to undergo the remapping and we’d never have had to live down the fact that our child is proud to be sick and an aberration.”

“Mom…I’m not sick! Why can’t you get if I let them do that to me that’d be the same thing as if I committed suicide. That’s against the rules in your bible isn’t it?”

“Aaron do not bring our faith into this after what you had the nerve to do.”

Yeah, my family and several hundred others attend a Sim-Service where the bible can be seen and explored in VR detail and that the faithful can gather without leaving their homes for all of the varied services and church events. I hadn’t logged in for a few years and when I finally went I went as My Avatar. Apparently it hadn’t gone over well with the Virt-Flock. I’ve been considered a pariah since.

“The house of the lord is the house of the lord mom even if it’s in virtual space, I went as myself and it’s not my fault that you and they were so small and hard hearted that you couldn’t empathize with my side of things.”

“You’re side of things is to be something you’re not supposed to be.”

“Mom there’s long held genetic evidence of transgenderism and gender having genetic components; I was just being myself as god made me.”

“You could have had the remapping done Son; with that nonsense out of your mind you could have undergone the gene-treatments to fix your disorder.”

“How is that any different than me getting myself fixed to fit the me inside of myself?!”

I’m getting upset and tears are leaking out now and I hate this. I hate that she just refuses to see me.

“It’s hugely different, when you were born you were born a boy, you’re an XY child and you have a disorder that makes you think that you’re something that you are not supposed to be. You are blatantly doing this, you glorify in causing this family embarrassment and pain. Why can’t you be more like your sister?”

“That’s the point! I want to be like my sister!”

“Good then you’ll come to your senses and get the remapping done like she did when she started to have that unnatural attraction to other women.”

“Dammit mom, Kelly practically killed herself! She erased who she was supposed to be because she was scared of being different!”

“Your sister is a successful well adjusted happily married you woman with a happy husband and six children.”

“Aargh! Goddammit! You’re fucking hopeless!”

My father moves the door open farther and he gives me this stare. “Aaron.”

“Dad.”

“You here to give up on this thing you’re going to do?”

“No sir.”

“I’ll not have a Deviant in this family. You’re hurting all of us son, just stop it before it’s too late.”

“Dad…Dad why can’t you see that this is the me that I’m going to become, the me that I’m supposed to be and…”

He closes the door in my face and I get a net-flash from the house’s home security sensors that I’m now listed as an unwanted visitor and that I have three minutes to vacate the property before the police are called to enforce trespassing laws on me.

It’s the same thing at my sister Lena, the one who changed herself and my brothers Nick and Danny I flash on trespassing alerts as soon as I step onto their property. I’ve always been the black sheep of the family but this hurts.

Being the girl I am I cycled home crying, making a right proper scene of myself to the neighbors if they’d care to look or see me which they don’t. Now a day’s people have more an excuse than ever to not interact. I throw myself down on my bed and cry myself to sleep, hell I stayed in bed all day long the next day mourning my life and drowning in loss.

It’s my bodily needs that got me up and after a shower and the last bit of food is eaten and the rest put in the garbage I pack everything up and order a transport to take my stuff to my new home out in Lake country.

It’s the first time I’ve ever been here and it’s a tiny village that’s up in the hills with faux stone molded to an old mining hole that had a spring feeding the area. So there’s steps going into the water and it’s like if you crossed a quarry lake with a swimming pool. There’s willows and evergreens and cedars everywhere and the actual town is like hundreds of tiny man made islands like docks if streets were the docks and your cottage is usually on an island block with others. If you’re rich you can get your own island with a proper house on it or like me get a dome cluster that’s pretty cheaply made.

It’s a prefab resin dome with built in insulation and a ceramic inside finish, the outside is solar film and they’re connected to each other by a prefab arch-way tube. You order the windows, and a story is usually a ring tube just as prefab as everything else. I look at mine when I get there. Two stories in the central dome, and three connected domes and an entry arch. Mine’s a used home 5th owner and thus it’s affordable. I have to unlock the door with a pulse but there’s no automation built into the house. I smile at having to just do things for myself. First floor is the living room and the master bedroom is upstairs, there’s the kitchen dome and one for laundry and the last one is for storage. One bathroom upstairs non-automated and really basic appliances. Stove, Chiller, Washer-Dryer combo, that’s it basic shelves and cupboards and power outlets. We used to go to these things to rough it. Well we went here once. Everyone in the family hated it and I loved it. I unpack and query the Lake-Net and get directions to the store. I walk there instead of biking there just to get a feel for the place. It’s strange with a few friendly nods from just people as I walk through the area and even see some kids swimming and playing in the water. Even some gardening being done. People come here to get away from it all here, or live a little closer to real life than other people do.

In the ancient days this would be considered very bohemian. It’s a very strange place. It’s kind of scary too. I’m a lot of things but everyone here is loud and extroverted. Mixed company eating places and the shops are small here and cramped so you get in the personal space of other people. Getting the cleaning supplies is actually trying for me with getting around the place and the people and the lines at the cash? They use real money here which means there’s unwired people here. I’ve never met someone who’s unwired before.

I get home and wash down my house and scrub it clean and set out sent pots of citrus peel and get my bed unpacked but without owning any real tools I sleep on the cushioning. Exhausted from the efforts.

The next day is packing everything up and locking my place up and call a transport to take me to the capitol city of Selene.

Selene is nice, it’s also terra-sculpted with it being carved out of the small mountains that go on in the central plains of the continent. It’s built in tiers and is close to seventy miles long with most of it carved out once for mining. Now you can’t really see much of the mountains for the buildings it’s very bust and our version of a mega city even if there’s only four million people living here. Industries however compete for living space and mostly for shuttle docks and the docking bays for light starcraft and other things like the Colonial Union military base.

I have a recruiting appointment.

I’m surprised at the people I see here. Tough capable looking soldiers and even the clerks and other personnel here are so self assured, capable and armed. We’re given pads by this buxom blonde in a uniform with a much shorter skirt than I thought they’d allow. Hell she looks like she came out of a porn-Sim-sense experience. Her patches say she’s a morale officer and a companion…I’ve heard of companions, they say that the military and others use them to pleasure the crews. The others there in the room with me are staring too. One rather awkwardly built young man in his twenties maybe raises his hand. She stops. “Yes recruit?”

“Yer ah Companion right Ma’am?”

“Yes, I’m a companion recruit why are you interested in becoming one?”
“Naw Ma’am I’m not sure thet I could be an Army hooker Ma’am. No offence.” He ducked his head turning red. “Ahm, sorry thet didn’t come out right.”

She smiled at him and us. “I’m a companion, I’m also by regulation a trained councilor, and rated for a lot of other things. Yes the rumors are true we do sleep with crewmen and women but it’s a mutual thing, sex and intimacy are tools I use in my job to get close to my charges. Sometimes it’s just a date, someone to talk to, a shoulder to cry on. Lots of things.”

He’s still staring at her as we all sort of are. Then he nods. “They ain’t gonna make me be one are they?”

“No recruit, being a companion is voluntary only then you still have to pass a psyche eval.”

I cough then quietly ask. “Psyche eval?”

She smiles at me and nods. “As a companion you have to have this emotional flexibility to connect with a lot of people but also to have enough integrity to never abuse the trust that people have placed in you.”

“Sounds hard, sounds so strange.”

“It’s the most rewarding career I’ve ever had, or ever will.” Her smile is so real and true it’s like a sensory balm. I’ve never met someone so good at putting anyone, everyone at ease. As we fill out our forms, both actual hard copy and on a data-pad. No network connections are here. It’s quiet in our heads and I can see it bugging some people. Like a city person out in the country.

I fill out my forms and there’s things that I’d never expected in there. Like not just changing my sex but there’s stuff like requisitions for Amazon class that’s for combat girls and Futanari were you’re female but they make a sheath for your male parts that you can turn on/off that parts arousal connections so if you want to you can get a hard-on that slides out of a internal pouch to have that kind of sex. It’s an accepted deviation.

Deviants, real deviants are those who use bio-ware and cybernetics to bizarrely modify your body. Claws, tails, vestigial wings, horns are all some of the stuff seen in some of the extreme cases. In many cases it’s a life-style, a fetish thing and in some colonies it’s a way of life. It’s what my parents are accusing me of becoming. I’m not into any of that. And neither is the military. There’s a whole list of deviations you can’t have already or get. If it might get into the way of others or working on a ship then they nix it.

I just sign on for the gender change, a basic gene-shift…basic yeah right. I select a target breast size and the two deviations I say yes to are the functioning reproductive system and the mandatory low-light eyes with polarization required for fleet. You need that in case the power goes down to see in the darkness and there’s this shade of almost gem like emerald green I check off for a deviation in color. The rest is courses that I’ll have to take to work as a Navigator and it’s a lot of stuff. Sciences and piloting, basic military training and all sorts of stuff including languages I‘ll have to know and Stellar geography as well as emergency medical and some engineering courses it’ll take years for me to go through the training. It takes hours and my hand cramped up three times and the Officer leans down and presses and writes down on both my forms a penmanship requirement before smiling at me.

“Sorry Erin, your real life writing skills really suck.”

I nod. But offer her this shy smile. She used my real name. She does that for others and I notice out of the forty people here there’s seven being addressed by their real girl names ant two females getting addressed by their real boy names. There’s this look as we notice each other that sort of just say’s I’m not alone?! There’s some wet eyes and there’s smiles too.

My hands are shaking with adrenaline as I sign the final forms and they’re collected by other personnel. I’m called to a line and a nurse with the other transformees where we head off to a shuttle bay.

We’re all excited and scared as we’re hooked to the sleep beds so we go into suspended animation trance for the trip to the Jump ship. That’ll take all of new recruits to Union-1 the training headquarters planetary system for the Colonial Fleet.

I drift off feeling free and alive and scared at the hugest step I’ll ever take.

up
253 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Nice SciFi, Bailey!

The FTL drive doesn't make sense, but the rest is very cool. I like your religious-crazies planet, not that I'd like to live there. I like it because it makes the story like the present day hassles that most of us face/have faced. Very interesting that it's the military who fixes TSs. I think, in the US military, we'd be fixed in another way (and not wake up.)

Thanks again for writing!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

I'm glad you liked it Renee M.

I'm PMing you the ideas behind the FTL, If you have any ideas...

Erin's planet is very conservative and that era's conventional wisdom is that if you have a "Behavioral issue." that you let them re-map those ares of your brain with the implant to shut down the live parts of your brain that make you feel what you feel. Any genetic abnormalities are to be fixed by gene therapy once you're more than willing.

It's the easiest path to being normal, who doesn't want to be normal?

As per the Colonial Military, they see the people as the more important asset they can have and like most of the actually civilized galaxy being TG is a medical fix issue and not a big deal. Happy troops are effective troops.

Bailey Summers

Actually...

No type of FTL makes sense. It doesn't match with physics as we know it. Quantum mechanics doesn't make sense, either -- and it's well-established physics that has been tested.

Bailey's explanation makes as much sense as any other FTL I have seen. When someone actually invents a real working FTL drive, we will see an explanation that makes every bit of sense that the ideas of quantum entanglement, spooky action at a distance, tunneling, and Hawking radiation make.

[snicker]

When you start working with technology way beyond what we have an understand, you just have to say that it works by PFM (Pure Magic.)

Willing Suspension of Disbelief breaks down when you start going against well-known knowledge. A simplistic example would be having the sun rise in the west and set in the east. I recently started to read an SF story that had such bad physics that I simply couldn't read any more. The plot depended heavily on the bad physics, so the whole story unraveled in my mind.

This is a great story, Bailey. I look forward to reading more of it. If you're really worried about the physics, you can delete a lot of it without affecting the story. Still, I find that the explanation adds flavor to the story -- especially since the narrator admits to not fully understanding it.

FTL

The FTL in the story reminded me of the FTL posited by Alan Dean Foster in his Flinx and Pip novels... using gravity wells as an attractant...in Fosters, the gravity well was generated by the ship and projected a few thousand KM ahead of the ship, so the ship was always chasing the GW... Carrot on a stick sort of thing... not too different from Bailey's FTL
All is cool in Speculative Fiction,
Diana

That's cool Moongoddess:)

I was kind of thinking of kinda like a slingshot mixed with how a drop of water will want to join up with a larger body of it. I'm really glad you liked it and thanks for the comment:)

Way cool thumbnail too.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

interesting universe

having to leave all she loves just to be herself is something familiar to many here. And the science stuff is interesting too.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

It's not just that

but the fact that there's this theme of "The Cure." and who wants to be different and if the cure writes over/out part of your brain are you the same person after that? Erin just couldn't rewrite her mind and face life out as Aaron.

Bailey Summers

You mean that in the future we'll still have to deal with this?

I had hoped that humanity might grow out of this ridiculous bigotry, but it seems that it just becomes more idiotic. Now THAT is depressing.
At least we can count on the military to help us become happier weapons fodder.
I'm feeling very depressed right now, so that's probably going to color things a little darker for me. I've been trying to find a way to express my inner female to my family, but it just isn't working. It hurts to know that I can't be me around my family, the ones that "love" me.
Ignore me, I think I'll just shut down for awhile.

In the future

they think that re-write how your brain works is a cure. Or at least in some places. In the Fleet like the more populated and mainstream colonies it's not even an issue, you just go and be the sex you're supposed to be and that's it, five days in the hospital.

Bailey Summers

In the future...

There will always be strong opinions, and most of us will still be blinded by the culture that we happen to inhabit. That is less true than it was in the past, and I hope that it will be even less true in the future.

It's information that makes the difference. That's why the freedom of information (press and speech) is so critical to a free society. When we can see other cultures from the inside (as in reading in a first or close second person perspective,) we can better understand how others think. I suspect that virtual reality and MMORPG technology will expand on this.

The future portrayed in this story actually looks hopeful to me. The fact that there is a frontier makes for plenty of openness and freedom. The fact that the colonies are free to run themselves means that there is no great overreaching 'One Galactic Government.' The fact that people are free to leave if they don't like where they live is good -- no 'iron curtain.'

No civilization is is going to be perfect, but freedom is the biggest asset.

Thank you so much for the comments Ray!

I'm certainly glad that my attempts at a bit of SF are getting treated so well. I loved the fact that you were so free with your comments for my personal pleasure and the responses to the others here.

Bailey Summers

Wren, you ARE with your family.

Your family of choice, and you're with the ones who love and respect you.

Bailey, This is a good start to what I hope will be a great story.

hugs and love,
Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

Too much exposition

Too much exposition where there really shouldn't be. It took away from the story and didn't really build up any expectation or characters.

I realize it's necessary, but people have found ways around it.

You never know, it could be

You never know, it could be foreshadowing for a future part of the plot. :-) I didn't mind the exposition, sometimes in SciFi it's useful to "paint a canvas" so we have a feel for the world the plot is occurring in. Otherwise it's all too easy to have jarring "what, wait up" moments when you realise your conception as a reader filling in the blanks are very different to the writers concept, which can destroy your suspension of disbelief.

Incluing

It's more a testament to the skill of an author than anything. Many sci-fi authors don't need to do exposition in this way. They seem to have figured where best to plant it and by how much.

Check out the literary technique known as "Incluing".

Thank you but no thank you Owen.

I'd like you to not get into a "flame" here in my comments section please. Your point has been made.

Bailey Summers

Thank you, thank you...

I was going to comment something to that effect and there's this great science minded crowd here that I wanted to put things into place for, on edge mind you I'm no brain when it comes to heavy sciences.
But you're right. In any fantasy or fictional world setting you need a degree of back story and explanation so to set the feeling for the place/setting.
I really am thankful for you reading and enjoying this.

Bailey Summers

Where you put it is more important

I'm not question the necessity, I'm question if that was the best place to put it AND if it was the best way of doing it.

There are many ways to make things more nature and flow better than what you did.

If it was necessary then

it was. Besides the story is written from Erin's perspective and she's not a professional writer. Oh well I'm glad you commented anyway:)

Bailey Summers

Exposition

Hey, I like the exposition. It makes my inner SF geek smile.

Where is it?

Ok, Bailey, where do I enlist. Not sure about the hyper drive but I am definitely up for the rest. With my Psych background I just know I'd be a great companion.

Joani

Dance, Love, and cook with joy and great abandon

I'm not sure about the science either

but it sounded good to me. I like the Military Companion/Morale officer it takes a new spin off the military ships councilors and tosses in a bit of companion from Serenity and a large dose of Caretakers as done by E.E. Nalley.

If there was ever a great TG/Sci-Fi concept they came up with an awesome one.

Thank for you reading, liking and commenting with great abandon.

Bailey Summers

Enlistment

According to our best knowledge of physics/relativity, FTL = Time Travel. Therefore, the recruitment officer ought to be able to go back in time and pick you up. The hard part is getting a message to her. A time capsule, perhaps?

Nice beginning.

I like the SF setup, and the world. It feels real as you describe it.

Is this a one shot or are you going to do more with it?

Maggie

I'm definitely going to do more.

I've got a good feeling about this story and I don't really do science fiction stories but this flowed for me pretty well so despite everything else going on I'm going to give it a shot.

I'm glad you like it. Thanks for commenting and the PM's Maggie.

Bailey Summers

My only concern

Is the Bizarre Body Modifications tag. That almost kept me from even looking at it.

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

That's more to describe

some of the stuff that's done medically in the story but also there's going to be parts where the use of cybernetics and bio-engineering is use in ways that we wouldn't normally. There are some places where being a Phur is literally possible to a degree and other stuff. It's also going to cover some of the bionic stuff.

Bailey Summers

Interesting start. It will

Interesting start. It will be interesting to see where this goes!

I'll take interesting:)

I'm really appreciate the comment and the enthusiasm. Thanks Brian!

Bailey Summers

Interesting

kristina l s's picture

Don't touch the damn apple. Yep. Curious at the way people pick and choose their bits of theology, nuthin new there. This one is a bit like a character from Neuromancer knocking on the door of that joker that burnt the Koran. A meeting of minds.. snort.

This was a bit sticky in places, I had to stop and guess at the intent here and there and I figure if you went back over it you'd tweak some. But the slight info dump still works as a view in. That's a part of Sci Fi after all, a stretch of the imagination to the whatif's and maybe's. Do I get the singularity FTL thingie? Nope, but so what and as for 4th dimensional maths...urk, that makes my head hurt or maybe that was drinking too much, pretty similar I suspect.

Live long and do your thing... or something like that.

Kristina

That's Kristina L S

Sticky...but I just hope not like Eeeew sticky:) I'm glad you like it and I'm hoping to improve on the flow of things. I loved your comment especially the end bit. That should be a t-shirt logo.

You'd make a mint at cons.

Bailey Summers

Nice start ^^

I really hope that you decide to continue with this one, Bailey. The departure that you made into sci-fi country was an enjoyable change of pace.

The differences you wrote into your future society only highlighted how much Arcadia was the same old... If you changed the name to 'Suburbia', and placed it somewhere in modern America, the attitudes and surroundings would be much the same, I imagine. I mean, the cookie cutter neighborhoods and forced conformity via ostracism of many suburbs are easy to imagine in such a 'conservative' community.

I can see many people gladly choosing Erins journey into adventure over the near-robotic state of her peers.

Another inspired tale, hon, thanks for sharing =D

Thanks so much Lynx!

It was definitely a step out of the comfort zone for me. I've had some PM's about the same old and stuff and it's true. People hate change as much as they crave it. There's also the whole comformity thing that goes on and the trends of returning to the good old days. There's far to many people still chasing the 1950's ideal dream family and life-style that never really lasted past that decade. You've definitely tuned into the effect that I was going for.

I know I'm going to explore this a lot more with you and the many others here.

Bailey Summers

An interesting start.

An interesting start. There's a few niggles that need cleaning up, but I don't think you have too much exposition.

Aaagh! Niggles!!!

The Wiggles were bad enough!, call in the Mobile infantry! Rico!, Rico! Dammit man down, man down!
LOL!...Snerk.

Seriously, I'm glad you though it interesting and took the time to comment. It does mean a lot. Thanks Lexa.

Niggles...Couldn't help myself, it too funny a word.

Bailey Summers

I am not surprised though

That the Military nixed the more exotic deviations. It's a simple enough rationale - they have accomodated two main sets of body structure, male human and female human. Changing sex, the aformentioned Futanari - are all in line with the two sets. Horns, wings, claws, tails are a significant enough difference to make additional changes to equipment for accomodation - and it's costly. Well, if you really go there, if the claws are retractable and can't be extended without concious effort, or if the skin is covered in decorative soft scales - these kinds of changes could possibly fly. Maybe.

As for the corrective neural remapping. Ugh. Don't want to go there.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Exactly!

Erin's whole thing with that is if they did it then they wouldn't be themselves. Really close to suicide in her books. As for the deviations I'm going to introduce a few that do exist and that are even colonial cultures in the Colonial Union.

Thanks so much for reading.

Bailey Summers

Deviations

I'm looking forward to seeing some furries and the like. I wonder if Star Fleet will let you have a tail. After all, it would be a useful 'fifth limb.' Also, multi-limbed deviations would be useful.

Some Fur-types will be allowed

but almost all of the special types will be considered as off world deviation-humans not produced in service. Multiple limbed humans are usually not possible with regards to the levels of colonial technology considering the adaptation of the brain to using the four limbs or a tail. However, this will all be see or addressed in the future.

Bailey Summers

Extra limbs

The human brain is, by itself, very adaptable. Hooking extra limbs into the brain would actually be easier than the modifications necessary to change behavior. After that, it's a matter of practice.

Stroke victims have, over time, remapped large portions of their brain and regained lost abilities. Learning to ride a bike or practicing katas in martial arts are two other examples of rewiring our brains to gain new abilities.

In the other direction, it would be fun to increase the number of color sensors in our eyes to go one up on the tetrachromats (people that see four colors rather than three) and also see two or three colors each of infrared and ultraviolet. In fact, the people who are connected to the net can probably already do that if they have a camera with the appropriate color sensors.

Come to think of it, they also probably have avatars with extra limbs, or wings, or whatever. If I had one of those chips in my head, I would try making a pagataur (pegasus centaur) avatar.

You are right

about the limbs but the Colonial Fleet has found the cost of the training time for multi limbed deviations to be very prohibative as well as the cost of uniform modifications with regular dress and vac-gear as well as body armor.

Multi limbed individuals may join the services but are to be expected to show the same dexterity and reflexes as their peers. Plus the cost of modified gear will be deducted from their personal funds.

Tails and wings are expressly not allowed by the fleet.
Optical changes are required for nearly all members of the services, low light/nightvision and polarizing are almost universal.

*As of yet there are no known functioning wings or Centaurs in the known galaxy.

Bailey Summers

Interesting start though

nikkiparksy's picture

Interesting start though wouldn't it be better too re-map people's brain's so they don't accept that outdated weakling view called religion.
Looking forward too the next chapter as this is a very good start:).

That'd be a start to violence but...

where there's a lot of places that'd never allow that any more than colonies in the Colonial Union would allow specific faith programming. Outside the CU however...

I'm glad you like this so far.

Bailey Summers

20 + centuries on we still have bigots etc?

Just like cockroaches we will never get rid of them.

Some scientist once said that the last living thing in the universe will be a cockroach.

I wonder if there are transgendered cockroaches?

Good start Bailey, thanks for the intro I sort of got positioned quickly and now it's all go for lot's of chapters and adventures, as opposed to real life, SciFi can fix anything!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

There'll always be biggoted

idiots. I'm glad though that You're enjoying the latest offering. I'd do something with cockroaches but it'd be too starship troopers.

Bailey Summers

As Tyr Anasazi once said

I have faith in nothing but this - when the universe collapses and dies, there will be three survivors - Tyr Anasazi, the cockroaches, and Dylan Hunt trying to save the cockroaches.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

LOL!

I loved Tyr, he was one of the best characters in the series.

Bailey Summers

This makes Avatar look primitive.

You've done a wonderful job of creating a really believable world -I'm truly impressed

Thank you so much.

I tried to make this at least a decent attempt at science fiction.

Bailey Summers

The sad thing is I really

The sad thing is I really can see that happening. Having people changing the brain and not the body. I mean how stupid can someone become?
The important part about a person is the brain, the body is pretty much exchangable. The parents are sick. Seriously Erin can just go and change her sex and come back as full Female and they expect her to let them change her. Remodel her brain so she fits the expectations of her parents?
I wonder why they don't edit the brains at birth so that they get nice little robots, who will be their purfect children *puke*

I'd so be a deviant. Being able to do crazy shit to your body and be able to reverse it... That's simply awesome. I wanna have. I wonder if they have their own planets and if they're as intolerant as the religious nuts. You need to change your body once a month/year or they kick you off.

In the end I can only say: dear god plz go and burn the bible ;)

Thank you for writing this very captivating story,

*hugs*
Beyogi

Uhm Deviants

aren't temporary modifications. It's sort of like getting inked but much more serious as this is more like getting surgery that a simple decoration. But yeah everything else's right on the nose. But you did give me an idea for something strange though but that'd fit.

Glad you liked it.
Thanks for commenting.
*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Well I figured that much

Well I figured that much... but you can do reverse surgery can't you? They can do the gender benders both way... They can add and remove tails...

I thought it would work somewhat like it works in John Varleys eight world stories or in scott westerfelds uglies trilogy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uglies) (no TG though).
They are able to alter the body permanently, but they can reverse or change the changes if they decide to do so.

*hugs*
Beyogi

Sort of and I imagine

you're right that there are people who do that far too much and go back and forth like you're suggesting. Thanks I think you just added something new to my story idea.

*Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Some ideas...

It might be kind of expensive though... A luxury for high society. On the other hand they live 4k something after christ. They ought to have that kind of technology available for everyone who wants it.

I wonder if there is a limit to what deviants are allowed to do. I mean transgendered is pretty much well known for several milleniums. But wanting to have tentacles for arms or all limbs... Beeing modified for 0g. Leaving the human baseline frame behind and look entirely like something else.

Is that allowed, or do they have to join the abberations?

I guess the general furry transformation is buissness as usual, the same as the gender benders... But I wonder how they react to more unusual stuff and if it is accepted.

Just some ideas...

*hugs*
Beyogi

The tech is fairly common

what you're describing more or less are the deviants and yes in some worlds it's a thing for the rich but also used as a colonizing tool to outsmart evolution so humans can colonize places easier. The military does allow deviants but want to keep them as close to baseline humanoid as possible. But That's only in the Colonial Union, other worlds and governments have different thoughts, laws and ideals of bio-tech usage.

Abberants are like surgical addicts and believe that leaving the baseline is humanities true path of evolution.

I'm going to cover a lot of this stuff so don't worry, be patient.

Bailey Summers

Religion and Space Travel

Funny thing Bailey,
I honestly would think that the truly fundamental church types would reject leaving "god's green earth" and let the rest of us be, but then again, without the rest of us to bother, they'd get bored really fast... i fear the religious persecution will be with us till the heat death of the universe.
Amazing story so far, love the awkwardness of Arron / Erin's narration... it's like a blog... *giggles*
Keep it up,
Diana

In this plot on Old Earth

after much devastation and strife humanity got it's act together and the first people to really leave were the various hardcore faiths after being kicked off the planet basically since they were getting in the way constantly of earth becoming unified as a whole. Then the corps were next then the special interest groups and so on.
But you're right there are these groups ever present thinking their way is the right way and as always history has a way of repeating itself.

Great Comments, Thank you!
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Ok so it took me forever to

Ok so it took me forever to start reading this, and it took me forever to get it finished, but it was a great story so I chuged through the opening :) And I am so glad I did :) Well see you in the next part :)


Click Me!

=^.^=

Become a Patron!

Have a mew of a day!

Thanks Darkkitten!

I'm glad that you enjoyed my stab into harder SF stuff I hope that you'll enjoy the rest of the story.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

It doesn't surprise me...

...that even in your vision of the 43rd century, there are still religious bigots who prefer the (translated) content of bronze age texts to reality, and who favour neural reprogramming to bodily modification.

Erin's new home sounds more like my kind of place - spacious but basic accommodation with a scenic view to boot!

While it's sad Erin's been completely rejected by her family, it certainly sounds as though life's about to improve - especially with several other TGs (both M2F and a couple of F2Ms) signing onto Fleet service at the same time.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Thanks Mittfh:) the Lakes are a nice spot.

It's where though the people who don't live in their head-tech seem to like to live. But it's seen as bewildering to the general populace as the people that choose to live in Caravans/Camper as their homes than live in the real world.

The main reason the "Good Book." still has so much sway is when man took to the stars so did the churches with them being more than able to afford to start colonies for the faithful.

*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Interesting

Pamreed's picture

Bailey, this story has so many paths it could follow.
Looking forward to finding out where Erin goes!!
You nailed how those not accepting twist things to make
their case for telling us how to live our lives!!

Hugs,
Pamela

Thanks Pam:)

I'm really glad you're liking my dip into the SF waters.
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Bunch of ding bats

Jamie Lee's picture

Though Erin is upset by her family turning their backs on her, joining the service is the better deal for her. She's going to be around people who treat her as a person. Someone they'll value as a person. People who will allow her to be herself.

Because Erin won't follow the family ways, reprogramming to eliminate deviant thoughts and desires, they put her on the "call the police if she steps on our property" list. Plus lock her out of the house. Compassion in that house is based on compliance to their beliefs. How sad. How sad they look down their noses at others but can't see how hypocritical they are. Throw their own beliefs back at them and they become defensive. Where's a black hole when you need one?

Erin looks to be headed into one heck of a journey in the service. Though an unknown journey. But at least she'll be allowed to be who she really is.

Others have feelings too.