Books of Magik-3

Printer-friendly version
magik2.jpg

Books of Magik-3

by Lynceus

A great threat to the Earth has come in the form of Tekik, the robotic terror of the Sinestro Corps, and only one person dares to stand in it's way- the Sorceress Supreme!


Disclaimer: I make no claims to any character or image owned or under copyright by another party, nor do I intend on profiting in any way from their use. The Comics Retcon Universe concept is the creative property of Lilith Langtree.

Planet Neptune, Space Sector 2814

A rift in space and time opened.. Emerging was what initially appeared to be a humanoid in some sort of armor. In the center of the being's chest-plate was a strange circular symbol, black with yellow lines forming an unusual pattern. The chest-plate was painted yellow with a sort of starburst pattern, and the symbol was at it's center.

This symbol was known, and feared, throughout the Galaxy. For it was the symbol of those who wielded the Yellow Element, the power of Fear itself. Those who followed Sinestro.

And the being who bore this symbol on it's metal body was no humanoid. In fact, it was not a living being at all, but a machine, known as Tekik.

Finally, it had come to the home system of it's enemy, the Green Lantern Hal Jordan. Finally, it would have it's revenge. In it's journey, it had left a trail of terror and destruction in it's wake. Pausing to gather data on the star system, it began to fly at great speed towards it's destination- Earth.

Planet Earth, Space Sector 2814

To say I was frightened was probably the understatement of the millenium. I wrapped my Cloak of Levitation tighter around my body, as if it could provide me any warmth. The part of me that was Hunter had learned that space isn't really cold, per se, but I didn't care. I felt cold, and that's all that matters.

Let me back up a second. I'm the Sorceress Supreme of Earth. Sort of. It's a little complicated, really. I guess it would be more accurate to say I will be the Sorceress Supreme. The Eye of Agamotto lets me cheat a little, allowing me to awaken my powers early.

It's kind of necessary- the Earth is at a major turning point, and there are a lot of threats to her. And Illyana Rasputin isn't quite up to the task yet. I know how that sounds, trust me. After all, I am Illyana. And at the same time, I'm also her 'sister', Hunter, who was once the demoness...

I'm rambling, I know. I guess my backstory isn't really necessary. After all, if you're hearing this, then you know all about me. What I'm about to do is not only dangerous, it will most likely get me killed. So I'm placing this record into the Eye. I want my successor to know what killed me.

The Eye is nigh-indestructible, after all, so I'm gambling that it will find it's way to my successor. Whoever that ends up being. Visions of possible candidates enter my mind. A tyrant in Eastern Europe. A doctor in New York. A boy named Timothy in England. And a pretty blonde girl who hated me.

Ok, that one is weird. Jennifer Kale. I've never heard of her...but I need to focus now. For what it's worth, if you ever hear this, Miss Kale- whatever I did to you, I'm sorry.

I turn my attention outwards. This is just bizarre, being in outer space. Well, high Earth orbit, at least. The Cloak of Levitation allowed me to fly up here, and the incantation to let me breathe without oxygen was pretty simple, believe it or not.

As I exist now, I'm part demon, so I can tolerate the conditions...to a point. There! I can see it, a point of yellow light. Getting closer.

A few days ago, I, that is, Illyana, woke up screaming from a nightmare. She'd literally felt the destruction of a living world, the very life-force of that world screaming across The Green. Just in case you don't know, The Green is the living energy that flows through all plant life across the cosmos. It's not so much a magical thing as a spiritual thing...but I'm rambling again.

Either way, The Green is part of Earth as well. Whatever this entity was, it was coming here. And I would be here to try and stop it. Earth's first line of defense.

Yeah, I know. Why am I doing this alone? There's lots of heroes. The Green Lanterns. Other magicians. I don't have a good answer other than, if I can stop it alone, nobody else has to get hurt. And if I can't, then I can at least buy some time for the others.

It's a foolish thing to do, I know it. And yet...this is why I was chosen, right? I'm the Sorceress Supreme, I need to act like one. Below me, I can see the pattern of mystical energies that flow through the world. Some people call them 'lee' or 'lay' lines. Right now, the patterns are shifting dangerously. I'm actually in geosynchronous orbit above a particularly troublesome intersection. The city of Houston, Texas.

Normally, the convergence of mystic energies there is a major worry, but today, it's a godsend. I make the connection, drawing on the free energy that is accumulating around the city. I start glowing like a star as the power fills me. The circuit is complete. For the next few moments, I'm not just a magic-user. I am magic.

Thoughts and ideas not my own fill my mind. I know the last person to attempt this particular stunt was a wizard known only as Shazam. And he'd had the forethought to create a magical anchor to keep from burning himself out with the power, the Rock of Eternity.

The Star the burns twice as bright, burns half as long. That thought isn't my own either, but I get it. I'm going to die. Well, at least I'll go out swinging, right?

And then it's here. It looks like a man in armor. I know it's not human at once. There's a soul, yes. Burning with malevolence. But just because it has a soul, doesn't mean it's alive.

“QUERY: What manner of being are you?”

“I am the Sorceress Supreme of Earth, and you are not welcome here, World-Killer!”

“STATEMENT: Magic is an inferior, illogical power. You will know fear and be destroyed.”

I forced a grin on my face. “Aroint ye! Get thee behind me, you HK-47 rip-off!”

It held out it's hand towards me, and fired a blast of golden light at me. The Cloak of Levitation, I should point out, is simply boss. It grants perfect maneuverability in flight, which makes dodging child's play- as long as I wasn't on the ground, that is.

“STATEMENT: Your efforts are inevitable, r-”

“Resistance is futile, yeah, suck on this! Gah S Diu Chis Em Micalzo Pil-! Zin Sobam El Harg Mir Babalon! Od Obloc Samvelg Dlugar Malprg!

*(The Spirits of the Fourth Angle are Nine, mighty in the firmament of waters, Whom the First hath planted, a torment to the Wicked, and a garland to the Righteous, giving unto them fiery darts!)

Blazing bolts of energy pulsed from my outstretched fingers as I invoked a fragment of the Sixth Key of Enoch. The machine raised a shield of golden light, but I managed to inflict some damage at least. What the hell was this thing made out of?

“STATEMENT: Attack analyzed. Threat minimal. Goodbye.” It created a blazing saber of light, and swung it at me. Even as I dodged, however, the blade grew longer, and it cut into my arm. I bit my tongue to keep from screaming in pain- I'd come this close to losing that arm.

Giddily, I wondered what would happen to the girls if I got my arm lopped off. Would one of them be missing an arm? Both? Focus!

The creature swung again, advancing. My advantage had been momentary- it was more experienced at space combat than I was. I was hesitant to conjure my soul armor- while it would protect my body, exposing my spirit to the yellow energy wasn't a very good idea. I knew now what it was- fear, given form!

No spell came to mind. No mantra to focus my thoughts. I was well and truly fucked. I kept giving ground, but it was right. I was leaking magic (and blood) like a damn sieve, and my time was growing short. If I split apart into Ilyana and Hunter here, they'd die for sure!

Allow me to assist you, Sorceress. I felt, rather than saw, a presence wrapping around me like a cloak. It was old, older than stars, and incredibly wise.

Who are you?

Just a Stranger. But one who can aid thee, if you will accept my guidance.

Please. If not for me, then for Nanta...Earth

And then words blazed themselves into my mind, the words of a spell that would do the trick. Just one hitch thought. I didn't have enough time to cast the spell and dodge the monster.

“STATEMENT: Tekik will destroy you!” It stabbed at me with it's weapon, and a tiny part of me wondered how it was speaking to me. There wasn't much air to work with. I mean, I was using magic and it...

Magic! I dodged the attack, calling to mind my lessons, learned a lifetime ago, in Belasco's realm. It wasn't actually using magic, as I understood it, but this Tekik guy..his power operated on a similar frequency. All I had to do was fight fire with fire.

It thrust at me again, but this time, I called upon my armor, and caught the blade with my hands. Even protected by mystic soul-steel gauntlets, it hurt like nothing I'd ever felt before. Not even my demon half had ever felt this kind of pain! Pain and fear, absolute terror.

I grit my teeth and used that fear. Fear for my life. Fear for the lives of everyone on the planet below. I was afraid, and I lashed out, using that fear as fuel for the spell.

”Hail, Bull of Amentet! I am brought unto thee. I am the paddle of Ra wherewith he transported the Aged gods. Let me neither be burnt up nor destroyed by fire. I am Beb, the firstborn son of Osiris, to whom every god maketh an offering in the temple of his Eye in Anu. I am the divine Heir, the Mighty One, the Great One, the Resting One. I have made my name to flourish. Deliverer, thou livest in me, and give unto me thine power!”

I was suddenly blinded in one eye, as it was transubstantiated into the Eye of Ra by the Stranger's spell. A blazing light fired from the orb, exceeding even that of the Seven Suns of Cinnibus. The beam tore through Tekik's defenses, and tore into it's armored form, reducing it's internal workings into so much slag.

I screamed in pain, and held up a hand to my still-smoking eye socket, only to recoil from the heat. Oh God, I was going to die after all!

Be at peace, Sorceress. Only this form dies, you shall endure. But you cannot again take up thine Mantle, until you are truly ready. This is the price you must pay. For all magic, no matter if used for good or ill, has a price.

I felt strong arms grab me, and I started to pass out. Before I did, however, I saw a tiny golden speck. A ring with an odd symbol, floating in space, all that remained of Tekik. It started to move towards me...

I think not. Begone! At the Stranger's command, the Ring fled off for parts unknown, and I knew no more...

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ooooh, interesting...

Great to see this story pick up again! Welcome back!

I'm with Misty

Excellent start to a new "book"

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I agree!

I agree as well! Very glad you are writing this again!

Wait

If they have to wait until they are ready to become the sorceress supreme, does that mean we have to wait too? o_O

There will be more Books of Magik

Although as with any of my stories, I can't really predict when you'll see the next chapter. Basically all that The Phantom Stranger is saying is, Illyana can no longer use the Eye of Agamotto to 'cheat' by merging with Hunter. She now has to become the Sorceress Supreme the old-fashioned way.

Which is going to be just a little harder than, say, putting on a weird old helmet...

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.

Very Nice!

Rather foolish going without backup but she knew how bad it was going to be. Good stuff!
hugs!
Grover

Thanks for the replies

I actually think this snipped of story is a little weak, the fact that you seem to like it just goes to prove I'm my own worst critic I guess. I had it pointed out to me that I use the term 'geosynchronous' incorrectly. Illyana isn't really in 'orbit' at all, since her Cloak of Levitation lets her fly under her own power, so really what I should of said is that she was maintaining position high above Houston.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.

The Rings of Qward

Is it just me or they seem to have (or whatever guides them) a distinct predatory nature? Jade, and Sorceress Supreme, were both targeted by the unattached Yellow Rings. And, it isn't that either of these two fit the criterion of being an entity capable of inspiring great fear in others, more like they were targeted as a powerful enemy in a calculated last-ditch (or post-mortem) effort.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Emotional investment can

Emotional investment can increase the power of a spell. Illyana used her fear of Tekik and what it could do to others to destroy him- the very fear Tekik inspired in her became her weapon. I think that meets the Yellow Ring's criteria rather nicely.

Not saying your observation is wrong, however. Even Batman had a chance to use a Yellow Ring, and he's hardly Sinestro Corps material.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.

OK, I really want to know

OK, I really want to know more about Jennifer Kale now!

Jennifer Kale

revolution's picture

she is mentioned in lilith_langtree's Darkchylde story and which also includes Dick Grayson I'm not a sidekick. i apologize if this was already known.

interesting story though and like the use of power with a price