Green With Envy-7

Printer-friendly version
larfleeze.jpg

Green Orange With Envy-7

by Lynceus

While Alena tries to make some sense of her life (and survive Sophomore Algebra!), she becomes Agent Orange's latest target!


Disclaimer: I make no claims to any character or image owned or under copyright by another party, nor do I intend on profiting in any way from their use. The Comics Retcon Universe concept is the creative property of Lilith Langtree.

*(Larfleeze is owned by DC comics, but don't tell him that!)

Listen all you people come gather round
I gotta get me a new game plan gotta shake you to the ground
Just give me what I know is mine

-Queen, “I Want It All”

Planet Okaara, Vega System

Larfleeze was bored. That was the main problem with immortality, really. Finding new ways to pass the time became a fairly top priority. Especially when you've been alive for billions of years.

Larfleeze was a fairly simple individual. One could say he was a collector- if there was something shiny and bright out there, he wanted it. The chase was really more important than the conquest- once he had something in his possession, he'd inevitably get bored of it.

Like he was now.

“Bored, bored, bored, bored, BORED! I'm bored!”

Elsewhere in the temple, Lianna sighed. Not for the first time, she regretted her decision to become the Guardian of the Orange Lantern Corps. Not that there really was an Orange Lantern Corps- there was her, Larfleeze, and his constructs. Larfleeze didn't like sharing.

Larfleeze was a conundrum to her. He had so much potential. Cetainly, he was one of the most powerful beings in the galaxy. And yet, he could be so simple! Dealing with Agent Orange was a lot like dealing with a small child.

He wanted things. And for an immortal, he had very little patience. Gliding through the ancient temple, she made her way to Larfleeze's throne. As he would often do, he was cradling the Orange Power Battery in his arms, clinging to it the same way a drowning being would cling to a floating piece of debris.

“Lianna! You're my Guardian! I want something new!”

Lianna could feel pressure behind her temples. Her people had immense reserves of willpower, but Larfleeze could erode her patience like no other being she'd ever met- even Guy Gardner would be a refreshing change of pace!

“You are surrounded by treasures of incalculable wealth, Larfleeze. What more could you want?”

The Orange Lantern frowned. Despite having a face resembling a mutant warthog, Larfleeze was very good at expressing his emotions. “Everything! I want everything!”

Lianna knew that really wasn't true. Larfleeze could easily rule the Vega Sector, for example, but he had no ambition to be a ruler. Making other people happy was too much work for the Orange Lantern. Why bother, when you could simply steal someone's identity, and create a loyal servant in their image using the Orange Power Ring?

“So go take what you want.”

Larfleeze growled angrily. “It's not that easy!”

“Why not?”

“Because...I don't know what I want. I just need it!”

Lianna had to force herself not to wince. She understood that Larfleeze was driven by an insatiable hunger that he could only temporarily appease, but still...

“Is it a person, place, or thing?”

That gave her master pause. “Hm. A thing. A valuable thing. The most valuable thing in the universe! It has to shine! It has to sparkle!”

Lianna would soon come to regret her next words.

“Have you ever heard of the Star-Heart?”

Planet Earth, Sector 2814

The problem with being a teenaged superhero is being a teenager. More specifically, it's having to go to school. I wanted to argue with Mom more about it- I mean, I was one of the most powerful people on the planet!

I wanted to, but how could I? She simply had way too much on her plate. My grandfather's death, me turning into a superpowered girl, and Alison...well, that right there was more than any five people could handle.

Not long ago, my name was Alan Scott, and I was a nerdy kid who collected comic books. Then a star fell from the sky, and everything changed. Not just for me, mind you. The whole world has had to deal with changes.

Like the fact that some people had superpowers.

It's a pain knowing that you can leave Earth's orbit under your own power, but you're trapped in Algebra class. It also doesn't help when your sister is off somewhere in England doing God knows what.

If I didn't love her as much as I do, I'd fly over there and drag her home by the scruff of her neck! But no, she had to fall in love with the most stubborn bitch on the planet.

Lucky her.

Lately, I feel so damn lonely, like I have no one I can relate to. Which doesn't make any sense, since there are others like me out there- hell, thanks to Jade, I know quite a few of them!

Oh great. The teacher decided to call on me. I manage to blurt out an answer, and thank God, it's the right one. That only helps a little bit, as it just draws attention to me. I'm not just a girl, you understand. I'm a cute girl. The last thing I want is guys noticing me!

The girls aren't much better, though. I'm not like them, and that drives them nuts for some reason. They can't understand why a pretty girl would dress the way I do. That's the problem with High School. Everyone is trying to classify you, trying to fit you into a category so they don't have to actually figure out who you are.

I'm an enigma, and that bugs the hell out of them. Even so, I'm sure more than a few of them have already decided I'm gay. Which I'm not...technically.

It's all so confusing. I used to be a guy. I'm supposed to like girls! Except now I have two X chromosomes, so liking girls is somehow wrong or weird. And this is why I feel like I'm all alone.

I know girls who like girls, girls who used to be guys who like girls, and a girl who likes girls who's in love with a guy who looks like a girl (is my life complicated or what?). And they're all fine with it! It doesn't bother them in the slightest, and they seem happy about it.

It bothers me, though. And that sets me apart.

I skip my last class. Mom will be upset, but I can't take it anymore. I'd rather fight a dozen supervillains than deal with one more hour of this. I see the Principal standing watch by the doors, but he doesn't have a prayer of catching me.

I can turn invisible and walk through walls.

Once I'm in the air, I can just feel the tension leave my body. If I had to give up everything else, this is all I'd want. To be able to fly. It's the power I love the most. It's also the power that terrifies me the most, but I'm getting over that. Slowly.

To say that I'm not using anywhere near my full potential is the understatement of the century. For some reason, teleporting or phasing through solid matter doesn't bother me as much as streaking around at supersonic speeds.

I used to justify it as being afraid of running into stuff. Until one of my friends pointed out to me how illogical that was. If I can phase through a wall, then I could pass right through anything I'd run into, right?

So I had to think about it long and hard. The truth is, flying at high speed scares me because I don't feel like I'm in control. And there are a lot of things in my life that I'm not in control of as it is.

Case in point. There I was, just flying around with no real destination in mind when I'm surrounded by orange light. Before I can react, I'm being pulled upwards, high into the sky.

“What the f-!?” Normally when I fly, my force field is barely visible, but I raise it up to full power as I try to resist whatever has me in it's grip. I feel like I'm playing tug-of-war, except that I'm the rope!

We manage to reach a stalemate somewhere in Low Earth Orbit. That's when I hear this voice in my head.

Give it to me! I want it!

“What? Give what to you? Who are you?!”

The Star-Heart! I want it! Give it to me now!

“Uh...how about...no!”

Mine! It's mine! I'll make you sorry!

I belong to no one but Alena. Leave her alone.

Just like that, the orange light is gone, and I'm free again. I'm a little surprised, really. The Star-Heart hasn't spoken up like that in awhile. From what it's told me, we're in the process of merging together. Most times I don't even feel it's presence. I mean, I know it's inside me, but that's about it.

“Hey, who was that guy?”

Figures. No answer. Well since I'm already out here, maybe I should swing by the Starcruiser Jordan and see if Jade's home.

Planet Okaara, Vega System

Larfleeze growled in frustration. “Why wouldn't it come to me? Belongs to Alena?! What's an Alena? Star-Heart, you will be mine! You will be!”

Collecting his thoughts, Larfleeze grinned slowly. “Well that's fine, then. If the Star-Heart won't come to Larfleeze, then Larfleeze will just have to go to the Star-Heart!”

Rising into the air, Larfleeze left the temple (and Okaaran orbit) so fast that the very ground shook from the resulting sonic boom.

Lianna groaned as she realized Larfleeze was now officially on the hunt.

“What have I done?”

Planet Earth, Sector 2814

I went in through the airlock. With my powers, I could likely phase through the Starcruiser's hull, but it just didn't seem polite. Plus, the vehicle was of alien origin, so who knew what nasty surprises could be lurking under the hood, so to speak.

Jade wasn't in, which really didn't surprise me. I could have called her up, but I didn't want to bother her. There was the off chance she was enjoying a rare moment of free time (possibly with someone special), after all. Granted, she'd probably kick my ass for not calling her immediately upon being attacked by weird orange light from outer space, but my life is pretty weird as it is. If I called her up every time something bizarre happened to me, she'd end up with grey hair!

I instead decided to bother the Starcruiser's computer. Unfortunately, my query about “orange light” got me nowhere- I got told I had “insufficient access” as a deputy Green Lantern. Yay.

I figured I might as well go home and face the music. Mom would no doubt be pissed about me skipping classes again. I was maybe five minutes from home when there was a flash of orange light, and I felt strong arms grab me from behind!

#No more playing hard to get, Star-Heart! Come to Larfleeze!# The voice sounded male, I think. Definitely excited and a little high-pitched. Translation courtesy of my Green Lantern Ring- I don't speak Alien.

“Hey, let go!” I slammed an elbow into my assailant, and was rewarded by a grunt from whoever it was, who promptly let me go. I whirled and found myself face-to-face with my first alien.

He was really tall, but thin, with long arms and legs. His outfit kind of reminded me of Jade's Green Lantern uniform, but instead of being green and black, it was orange and black, all Halloween colors. He had a strange symbol on his uniform instead of the Green Lantern insignia, and I saw a glowing ring on his finger. Orange, of course.

The guy's face was something else- his skin and hair were a yellowish color, and he had a long snout, bristling with tusks. His eyes were sunken into their sockets, and looked like black beads with tiny white irises. On the top of his head were several tufts of hair that looked almost like a spiny crest.

#You wanna play rough, huh? I'm fine with that!#

“Woah buddy, back up a sec! Who the heck are you, anyways?”

He blinked at me. #I told you already, I'm Larfleeze. And I want the Star-Heart, so hand it over!#

“I think we had this conversation once already. The answer is no!”

He grinned at me, showing off some sharp white teeth. Whoever he was, he had a really good dental plan. #You think you can stop me? Blume, get her!#

Out of nowhere, this giant alien head appeared. Seriously, that's all the thing was, a giant head, glowing with orange light! It opened it's mouth and looked like it was ready to swallow me whole.

I conjured up a sword wrapped in green flame and swung it at the thing. I wasn't going to be anyone's lunch!

#Hah! Your powers are useless, Blume will just suck them...wah?#

My blade struck the alien head, and cut deep into it. Blume (I guess that was it's name?) made a low groaning noise and dispersed into bits of orange light. The thing was a light construct, just like the ones I could make with my Power Ring!

I glared at Larfleeze and he backed up. #Yuh-oh! That's not how it's supposed to work! How did you do that?!#

“Come over here, and I'll show you!” I flew at him, swinging my sword in a wide arc.

In response, he created a shield of orange light, and blocked my attack. #So that's the power of the Star-Heart? I want it! I want it! Mine!#

“For the last time, the answer is no! Get your own!” We moved apart from one another.

Larfleeze cocked his head at a funny angle. #There's more than one?#

“Well, uh, not that I know of...”

He lunged at me. #Then I want that one!#

I didn't even have the time to use my sword. He grabbed my hand at the wrist. So I let him have it. It was a low blow, I'd say, a good half-inch below the belt.

He howled, letting me go as he buckled in pain. #You kicked me! You kicked me in the (the exact word didn't translate well, but it sounded like 'grithnacks'. I couldn't make this up if I tried!)!#

“Yeah, and if you don't leave me alone, I'll do it again! So keep your “grithnacks” to yourself!”

He held up his ring, and instead of just one light construct, half a dozen of them appeared, all weird-looking aliens. I tried to go insubstantial, but to my shock, they could touch me just fine! I was quickly overpowered, and I felt the strangest sensation, like something was being ripped away from my body!

The other aliens vanished, and, in their place was...me?

The girl seemed as surprised as I was. She looked just like me (or Alison, take your pick), right down to the costume, except hers was orange-and-black.

“What the hell?!” We both said in unison.

#Uh. Hokay. That's just weird. You're supposed to be dead!# He pointed at me.

Both of me...us? God, I don't have the right pronouns for this...anyways, we both turned and glared at him. We started to speak, and I gestured to my clone. “Go ahead.”

She nodded. “What do you mean, dead?”

#I stole you! Your you-ness! The original dies, and then you become my servant!#

Well we were both pretty pissed about that. Clone-me reached him first, and started wailing on the guy.

#Ow! Ow! Stop! You're supposed to be my servant!#

“Screw you! I'm nobody's servant!”

#Then go away!# He made a dismissive gesture with his Ring and...nothing happened. The look on his face was priceless. I wondered what Alien-speak for 'oh snap' was.

So other-me hit him some more, until he finally managed to get some distance between him and her. I...well to be honest, I didn't know what to do, so I just sort of hovered here.

She finally turned towards me. “Aren't you going to do anything?”

“Like...what?”

That floored her as well, and she frowned. I have a rather cute-looking frown. I never really noticed before. I mean, when Alison frowns, she just looks angry. It's weird, I know.

“Well...fuck.”

We both turned to Larfleeze.

#Mm. Well. I think maybe I should leave you ladies alone..?#

“Oh no you don't, this is your fault!” I grabbed one of his arms, and my doppleganger grabbed the other. He struggled (he make look like a joke, but Larfleeze is strong as hell!), but the two of us were too much for him.

#Argh! Let go! I'm sorry! What do you want me to do?#

Good question, that. I mean, sure, he may have created her, but it's not like I wanted him to, you know, un-create her. That'd be like, I don't know...murder or something?

I called Mom and made some excuses while we moved to a more secluded location to have a little chit-chat.

Later...

I was pretty hungry, and I figured we'd all have an easier time talking over food, so I changed into civilian mode and snagged us some Wendy's. I was really tempted to fly through the drive-thru, but decided against it.

My clone didn't seem very hungry, but Larfleeze quickly helped himself. #Mm! Good stuff! You gonna eat that?!#

“Back off, this Double Stack is mine! Anyways, are you sure that stuff is good for you?”

He shrugged. #Can't kill me.# He ate the food so fast I was pretty sure he didn't really taste it, but he seemed to enjoy it. He belched a little. #Not bad, not bad. So...you gonna give me the Star-Heart?#

“God you got a one-track mind! No! I'm not even sure I could give it to you, it's a part of me, like my arm or something!”

He considered that. #So I'd have to kill you...urk!#

My double put him into a headlock. “Yeah, we saw how well that worked!”

#Ugh! Agh! Leggo!#

“Let him go, beating on him might be therapeutic, but it's not getting us anywhere.”

She let him go and sat down in a huff. Again, it just made her look adorable. I guess I really am cute when I'm angry! “So what am I supposed to do now? I don't even have a home to go to! I don't have a life...it's your life! I'm just...a copy!”

Man, I really wanted to comfort her, but I wasn't sure what to do. My first instinct was to give her a hug, but hugging yourself is just too weird.

#That's easy, you can come with me! I got a great place on Okaara!#

“First of all, where the heck is Okaara? Second of all, what makes you think she'd be happy there?” I snapped at him.

To my surprise, Larfleeze actually flinched, looking hurt. #It was just an idea. I got neat stuff. You didn't have to be mean.#

What was up with this guy? One minute he's trying to kill you, the next he's acting like a puppy that's just been scolded!

“I might as well. I mean, it's not like there's room for two of us. One twin sister is bad enough, right?”

Man. She looked about ready to cry. This was so unfair!

Larfleeze made a sniffling noise. #So sad. Larfleeze sorry.#

“Jeez, don't cry. Here, have my fries.” I handed him the carton.

He just looked at me oddly. #Hokay then. We trade! I take the food, you take her back!#

Before I could ask him what the hell he was talking about, he pushed my twin/clone/sister at me. She sort of turned into orange light and literally merged into my body!

“What did you do?! Where did she go?”

Larfleeze made a disgusted face and mumbled something.

“Hey, speak up!”

#I gave it back. The thing I took from you.#

Really, the minute he said that, I sort of felt it. The girl hadn't been a copy- she'd been a part of me all along! “Oh. Um. Thank you?”

Larfleeze stood up. #Whatever. Don't talk about it. I'm going!# His body was surrounded in orange light, and he flew upwards like a speeding comet.

I was just left there, dumbfounded. “Uh...bye?”

Planet Okaara, Vega System

Larfleeze returned without his prize. Lianna was really curious about what had happened, but she was hesitant to bother her master. He seemed...almost melancholy, which wasn't normal.

Finally, however, her curiosity got the better of her, and she asked. He told her the whole story, and Lianna was left dumbfounded. Larfleeze had...given something back? She hadn't even believed he was capable of such a feat!

“I didn't get what I wanted.” He drummed his fingers on the surface of the Orange Power Battery, as if thinking. “It was fun though.” He grinned, and Lianna felt a chill run down her spine.

“It was a lot of fun. I think I'll go back there sometime. Soon.”

Planet Earth, Sector 2814

Mom grounded me, and stuck me with some extra chores. To be honest, though, I didn't mind so much. My random encounter with Larfleeze had left me with a lot of stuff to think about. I wasn't sure how to broach the topic with Jade, but the fact that there were other beings with similar powers to a Green Lantern out there was a new twist.

The Green Lantern's power came from Willpower. The Star-Heart had said my Willpower was weak compared to Jade's, which limited my powers. But what if there was some other power I tap into besides Will?

When I'd been split, or whatever, that other part of me had been upset about being a copy. And really, isn't that what I was? Just a copycat Green Lantern. I'd wanted to be like Jade so badly, but the truth was, I wasn't her.

Maybe it was time to find out who Alena Scott really was. I stared at my Star-Heart ring intently. Was there something about me that set me apart from Jade?

Slowly, a spark of orange light began to form around my Ring, and I couldn't help but smile...

up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Green With Envy-7

So, Agent Orange is nothing more than a petulant child.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Willpower + Avarice

What an interesting combination...

Mercifully, Alena's idea of greed / avarice is more altruistic (I need more power to help more people) than Larfleeze, who could probably be compared to a superpowered spoiled brat with no morals.

Hmm... I wonder if this would be Larfleeze's favourite song? :D

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

A very interesting take

On the encounter. I can really see how Larfleeze will be interesting in paying visits to Earth in the future - he will see it as a playground. :)

Still, I do think it was mentioned that the Star Heart was shattered once it was freed from the star. Yes, the only two known fragments merged with Alena. But it was never stated that that was the entirety of Star Heart - so I guess Alena simply didn't ponder on the issue before. :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

If that Larfleeze guy hadn't

If that Larfleeze guy hadn't tried to kill her that would have been funny ^^

Thank you for writing this interesting story,

Beyogi