Education in the Hills - chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

What happened to put Rachael in the hospital?
Why are we on suicide watch?
How do you insult almost an entire school, at one time?

I would like to thank my dear friends,
Angel O’Hare, Karen Page, Joni W. and Holly Logan
for their kindness, help, support, and input.

Education in the Hills
Chapter 2

By Penny Reed Cardon

I simply stared at Rachael; I’d not shed a single tear while those around me continued to cry. I had a good idea of what happened, my growing anger wouldn’t let me speak.

After I'd calmed down a little, I needed to confirm my suspicion and asked, generally, "What happened?"

"I'm not positive," Dr. Harris stated. "She was unconscious when I first saw her. When the body suffers traumatic pain, the brain shuts down to prevent brain damage due to sensory overload. From the bits of information we got from your Mother, it had something to do with someone named Bart, if that makes any sense?"

"Yes, Dr. Harris, it makes sense to me. Today is Friday, and I wasn't in school. That means that Bart lost another $200. The same thing happened last Monday, that's when he beat up Mary Beth," I replied coldly, as I looked towards Ellen. "Does anyone know where he attacked her?"

"She was walking home from school. Exactly when it happened, we don't know," confessed Ellen. “All we are certain of is that someone found and recognized her, called your home and talked with Charles. Charles called your Mother, then she called me.”

"Dr. Harris, when will Rachael wake up?" I asked.

"I'm not exactly certain; sometime tomorrow morning, I hope. She’s sedated, and hooked up to the monitors. Marie will be on watch tonight," he replied.

I turned, at least I tried to turn towards Mom, "Mom ... Mom, where are Chuck and Karen?"

Mom didn't respond, other than to continue crying.

Ellen helped me by taking Mary Beth off my shoulder, so I was able to turn. "Mom … MOM, listen to me! Where are Charles and Karen?"

Although she was still crying, Mom managed to respond, "The Johnson's."

"They're staying with Bishop Johnson’s family?"

Mom responded by nodding.

"Well, I'm sure they will be okay there," I thought aloud. "Ellen, can Mom stay here tonight, I'm assuming there are some empty beds in this hospital?"

Ellen was taken by surprise at my question, "Um ... Yes, Edith can stay in the room next door. Matilda, I’m puzzled, why aren't you upset by what has happened?"

"Believe me, I AM upset, and once I relax, I'll probably be crying worse than Mom is, but right now I'm too mad to cry. I know that this attack was aimed at me. It's a good thing I'm here and not at home or I’d probably do something I'd regret later, like go after Bart with a baseball bat. However, right now, Mom needs some rest, and I need to think."

Mary Beth agreed to stay with Rachael as Ellen and I helped Mom into the next room. We laid her on the bed, removed her shoes and covered her with a blanket. She started to calm down almost immediately. It took less than fifteen minutes for her to fall asleep. 'I guess being in the room with Rachael is what was keeping her emotionally agitated. After all, what do I expect? In one weeks time, Mom had both her youngest children in hospitals. I stupidly tried to kill myself, and Rachael was almost beaten to death. Add to that, the stress of Dad being arrested. All things considered, I think Mom's doing great.'

Mary Beth had stopped crying by the time I returned to Rachael's room. I hugged my friend and asked, "Do you want to take the first watch? Or should I?"

"The first watch of what?" Ellen wanted to know.

"The first to watch over Rachael, until ..." I started to say, when Ellen interrupted me.

"Hold on there! Nobody is sitting up, watching Rachael sleep. The exception to that, of course, is Marie. You two are going back to your rooms, getting ready for bed, and then going to the year lounge. I've given strict orders; you are not to be left alone tonight."

"But, Ellen?"

"No buts’! You heard what Dr. Harris said. Rachael won’t wake up until sometime tomorrow. There's no need for either of you to stand watch. Besides, you're students, not soldiers."

"But she's my sister!" I protested.

"And I 'm your psychiatrist! As long as you're a student here, I'm in charge of your health, both physical and mental. Now, no more arguing, get your jackets on, and let’s get going.”

I’d only known Ellen for a little while, but I knew better than to protest, at least about this. She escorted us back to our rooms. Ellen stood in the interconnecting doorway, as we quickly changed into nightwear. I again chose a long gown because of the group setting. Soon we were on our way to the lounge, where six of our fellow students were waiting for us when we arrived.

We were the center of attention the moment we walked through the door. "Only six of you skipped choir practice, Jenny? I expected the entire year would take the opportunity, and would be waiting here," Ellen tried to be lighthearted.

"They were all going to stay, but I did not feel that was necessary. The others will be returning after choir practice. Of course, if something happens that I feel they should be a part of, I will call them back sooner."

“Very good Jenny," Ellen complimented. "Don't hesitate to call me if anyone has problems tonight,” Ellen instructed. As she turned to leave, she paused, “Matilda, I want to see you in my office after breakfast.”

“Yes Ellen,” I solemnly replied. Ellen left, and the eight of us were alone.

“Would someone please tell me what is going on?” Misa asked.

Mary Beth started, “Matilda’s sister is in the school’s hospital. She was apparently beaten up by Black Bart like I was, only much worse.”

Seeing that she was about to start crying again, as she remembered Rachael's condition, I put an arm around Mary Beth, pulling her close, "It'll be okay. We'll figure out what to do about Bart. It may take a while, but he will pay for his cruelty."

"Just what is a Black Bart? And what exactly did he do?" asked Morgan.

"I take it you missed part of this morning’s events, outside the lounge before breakfast?" Jenny asked.

I excused myself and slipped into the restroom while the others talked. The restroom attached to the lounge, was nothing special. There was a counter with three sinks just inside the door, and a wall dividing the room. On one side were some urinals and on the other were stalls.

Just as the restroom door was about to close, it suddenly swung open, startling me.

"Oh, hello Misa," I said as she entered.

"Hi, I'm sorry, Matilda," she said sadly.

"Sorry? Sorry about what?"

"I'm sorry that I have to do what I have to do."

"Misa, you're not making any sense."

Shaking her head, she continued, "Our instructions were that you and Mary Beth weren't to be alone."

"Well, I'm just going to the bathroom."

"Yes well, that’s one of the hard parts about being on suicide watch."

"SUICIDE WATCH! Who said anything about suicide?"

"That's what 'Not to be left alone' means. I am sorry."

"Do I at least get to close the door of the stall?"

Her reply was sad as she shook head.

"So you're telling me that my choices are to wet myself or expose myself!"

"Well, I personally wouldn't choose the first option. Then you'd have to go change and someone would have to go with you. As for your second option, I can turn my back while you sit down and then again when you clean up and stand."

"Well, I guess that's something. Thank you, Misa."

"You're welcome. It's the least I can do for someone like me."

Misa turned her back to me and I quickly dropped my bloomers, panties, and sat down. "You mean that you're ..."

"I was born with male equipment. Well, sort of. They didn't quiet develop the way they should have. I also have most of the plumbing that would make me a girl, but not all of it."

"You can turn around now. Thank you. So what did your parents do about, um, well, the way you were born?"

"Nothing, I still have what I was born with. They felt the decision should be mine. A few years ago, my Mother told me the story about the night I was born. She told me how the doctors tried to pressure them into making a decision, did they want a boy or a girl. My parents held fast to their decision, that as long as I wasn’t in any danger, when I was old enough, the decision should be mine."

We continued talking for a little while, then Misa turned around so I could finish my business and tuck things away after I stood up.

As I was washing my hands, I started giggling.

"All right, Matilda, what's so funny?"

"I was thinking about how well this long nightgown provided coverage so I wasn't exposed."

"So what's funny about that?"

"Did you see Mary Beth's nightie?"

Misa started giggling as well. Mary Beth's fondness for short frilly nighties could cause her some embarrassment.

Misa and I were giggling as we left the restroom. In our absence, the furniture had been pushed around and lots of sleeping bags had been unrolled. I also noticed that several of the others had brought their bathrobes with them. Mary Beth was sitting on one of the sleeping bags, doing her best to stall the conversation.

I listened for a few moments before I joined in, "Bart is the biggest and meanest bully at our old school," I added as I sat down next to her. There was no way I could go through this standing up.

I whispered in Mary Beth's ear, "Borrow Jenny's robe when you need to go to visit Mother Nature." I could see the surprise and question in her eyes. "Just trust me this time."

I turned back to the others as I continued with my story. "Before I started school, Mom and I spent our afternoons together. Rachael usually took a nap during the afternoon. Kindergarten was fun until I realized ..."

Between Mary Beth and me we told the whole story. As we were getting started, I noticed Jenny tapping on her PDA. The rest of the year arrived shortly thereafter. There were times when neither Mary Beth nor I could speak because we were both crying, as were many others.

I don't know what time it was when we finished. I was emotionally exhausted, from the retelling of my life's story and from knowing what Rachael, Mary Beth and others had suffered because of me.

I was crying as I lay down on top of a sleeping bag, in the middle of the lounge, but I didn't crawl into it. However, when Mother Nature rudely woke me I discovered that I was snuggly tucked in a sleeping bag, with Mary Beth snuggled up behind me, in another bag. I slipped out and hurried into the bathroom. The door had been propped open and the light on. ‘Thank you Mary Beth. I wondered if I should have dragged someone else out of bed to go with me. Oh well, my need for relief was greater than my need for company.’

I emerged to find Mary Beth smiling, and holding my bag open. I slipped back into my bag, rolled over and kissed her nose, expressing my thanks for looking out for me. I snuggled back against Mary Beth as she put an arm around me and smiled to myself as I drifted off to sleep.

I woke up sometime later to the annoying sound of someone’s PDA alarm going off. There were moans from all around the room.

“Niki!” Hope moaned. “Why didn’t you turn that thing off?”

“Well, as long as we are all awake, I guess we should start the day,” Jenny suggested as she rolled over.

“But Jenny, its only 5:30,” Howard complained.

“And it was after midnight before we got to sleep,” added Peggy with a big yawn.

“I know, I know, but we are awake. I am sure that you all have your PDA’s, so we might as well start with today’s schedule. As you know, today is Saturday, so there will be no French class this morning. We do have choir practice at 2:00 and 6:30. Also, tomorrow is the Halloween Ball, so if your costume is not finished, now is the time. If you need assistance, Mr. McGuiness and his staff are only available until 2:00 pm. Does anyone have anything else?”

“Hey guys, guess what?” exclaimed Walter. “It snowed! It’s the first snow of the season.”

Several of them headed for the windows to check out the night’s changes.

“While a blanket of snow is a new development, it is not what I was referring to. Does anyone have anything to add that is relevant to the group?”

“Are you telling me that Snow Men and Snow Ball Fights aren’t group activities?” inquired George, with a broad smile.

I smiled. “I guess that depends on your point of view. Being new, I don’t know if this is relevant, but I have an appointment with Ellen after breakfast. Mary Beth, would you sit with Rachael, until I’m able to get to the hospital?”

“You know I will. The three of us spent so much time together last summer, I almost think of Rachael as one of my sisters.” She gently squeezed my shoulder.

Misa inquired, “Matilda, may we help as well?”

“Thank you Misa. I don’t want to sound ungrateful, but I want someone that she knows with her when she wakes up. She’ll probably be confused enough without having a lot of strangers around. Once she’s awake I’d love to introduce you all.”

“Not a problem, I understand completely. I’m sure everyone else understands as well,” Misa replied.

“Matilda," Jenny spoke as she moved to sit next to me, "you have only been with us for a few days, I am sure that I speak for everyone when I say that we already think of you as family, and we love you as a sister. We will do anything we can to help you, Mary Beth or Rachael."

"Thank you Jenny, thank you all."

"All right everyone, let's get back to our rooms and get dressed. It will be a shock to everyone, if the 'Black Sheep' aren't late for breakfast." Aaron chuckled, trying to get everyone moving.

Even though as a group, we had an earlier start, Mary Beth and I were the last to enter the cafeteria. After breakfast, I hugged Mary Beth and told her I'd see her soon. Then while she went to the hospital to check on Rachael, I went to see Ellen. Upon arriving, I knocked on her door.

"One moment please," she called out.

"Good morning, Matilda," Ellen greeted me, as she opened the door and invited me to sit on one of the couches. "Where is Mary Beth this morning?"

"She's sitting with Rachael. After we're finished, I'll go over as well. Have you heard anything from Mom or Dr. Harris?"

"No, I haven't heard anything concerning your Mother or Rachael this morning. ‘They’ aren't what I wanted to discuss."

"So what do you want to talk about?"

"Matilda, you've been under a lot of stress lately, at home, at school. All of which led to your ... Shall we say your incorrect assessment of the options that were open to you, based upon one sided and incomplete information."

"My what?"

"Your suicide attempt."

"Oh," I said sadly. "That was pretty stupid of me, wasn't it?"

"Yes it was! You know, suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary situation. What I want to talk about this morning is you, and how you're feeling?"

"Well, to quote Scotty, 'I'm mad enough to chew Dilithium, but I'm behaving myself'," I replied.

"That mad! Hum, I'll be sure to keep the Dilithium locked away." Ellen giggled, trying to liven up my mood. "Do you know who or what you're mad at?"

"Well, I'm kind of mad at myself. If it wasn't for me none of this would have happened."

"Le’ts come back to that in a minute. Who else are you mad at?"

"Well there's Bart, for being such a bully. Then there are Bart’s parents. They should have taught him how to be a better person. Then there's the system, that would allow someone to have enough power that they could control everyone, the principal, and the teachers, not letting them do what they knew they should."

"That's quite a list. I 'm almost afraid to ask my next question. Is there anyone here that's on your 'mad at' list?"

"You mean here at the Manor? No! Everyone here has been terrific. Coming here is the best thing that's ever happened to me."

"I'm certainly glad to hear that. Let go back to your 'mad at' list. Could you explain to me why you are on the list?"

"Well ... If I hadn’t decided to become a girl, Bart wouldn’t have beat up on Mary Beth or Rachael.”

“Tell me something Matilda. When you were in Kindergarten, was Bart there?”

“Yes.”

“Was he mean to you and the other children then?”

“Yes he was.”

“Had you decided to be a girl while you were in Kindergarten?”

“No, I only decided that this year. I was wearing girls clothes whenever I could, during First and Second grade though.”

“Did you ever wear girl’s clothes to school?”

“No, I was too scared.”

“So what you’re telling me is, Bart was mean long before you decided to transition from Matt to Matilda. Even before anyone knew that you thought of yourself as a girl, is that correct?”

“I guess so …”

“So if he was mean before you decided to transition, why should you expect him to be any different after you made your decision?”

“Umm, I don’t know.”

“Come on Matilda, you’re a smart girl. Where am I going with this?”

I knew where she was going, but I just wasn't sure I wanted to admit it to myself. I didn't say anything for a while. Finally, I took a deep breath, exhaled and replied, “I’m not responsible for Bart being mean, and I’m not responsible for his actions.”

“Just like you weren’t responsible for your Father’s actions! How someone chooses to act, or react, is their choice, not yours. So if you aren’t responsible for Bart beating up Mary Beth or Rachael, why are you mad at yourself?”

“Well, I guess, because I wasn’t able to protect them.” I started giggling.

“So why is it funny for you to want to protect your friend and sister?”

“Because Bart is about twice as big as I am,” I laughed. “If I tried to stand up against Bart by myself, I’d be the one in the hospital. I guess it’s kind of silly for me to be mad at myself, isn’t it?”

“That’s what I wanted to hear,” Ellen said with a big smile. “There’s only one reason for you to be mad at yourself, and that is if you don’t do your best. There will be hundreds of challenges that will come your way, obstacles to overcome. How you face each challenge will determine how fast, or how slowly, you overcome them. As long as you do your best, no one here will ask any more of you. The biggest challenge is knowing when you’re doing your best. Only you can answer that.”

“So you’re saying that no matter what I’m doing, do my best!”

“That pretty much is it.”

'Thank you Ellen. Whether you know it or not, you just gave me permission to access the computer system, not just the system here, but any system that I need to go into find the information needed to take care of Bart.’ I don’t think my smile gave away my thoughts.

“Tell me, have you and Mary Beth decided on Halloween costumes yet?”

“Oh, no we haven’t! We haven’t discussed them since we left the hospital.”

“Very well, I’ll let you go for now. Go check on Rachael and your Mother. If your Mother hasn’t had breakfast yet, be sure and send her over to get something. When she gets back, or if she’s had breakfast, I want you and Mary Beth to go over to wardrobe and see what you can come up with. I’ll call Mr. McGuiness and tell him to expect you. Remember, the overall costume isn’t what’s important. It’s the effort and the amount of creativity involved that’s important.”

“But I want to be with Rachael when she wakes up. She’ll be scared and confused if she wakes up and doesn’t recognize anyone.”

“That’s why you’ll stay there until your Mother returns. After you’ve arranged for your costumes, you may return to Rachael’s side.”

“Yes Ellen,” I said with a little frown.

“Hey, now, don’t frown like that! Remember, Rachael is going to be in the hospital for quite a while. If security had their way, you wouldn’t be permitted to see her.”

“WHAT! Why not?”

“Remember, Rachael is under age for this school. She'll know that she's in a hospital, but not which one. She also knows that you and Mary Beth have gone to Immigration Manor. When she sees the two of you visiting her, she'll know where she is. Security isn’t happy about that information leaking out. I’m not sure how this will turn out yet, but for now …”

“I think I understand. I guess we’ll have to take it one day at a time.”

“That’s about the best we can do, right now. All right, off you go.”

I left Ellen and went to the hospital. There was only four inches of snow, so I went straight across. The snow did slow me down, but just a little. I didn’t recognize the nurse who was on duty, but I said hello, and explained to her who I was. She introduced herself as Tina. She was very nice and told me how peacefully Rachael had slept through the night.

I entered Rachael’s room to find Mom and Mary Beth talking quietly, Rachael was still asleep.
I quietly walked up behind Mom and put my arms around her shoulders, hugging her. She responded by tilting her head until it rested next to mine. We stayed that way for several minutes, mother and daughter in a simple loving embrace.

It seemed like an hour had passed when I broke the spell, saying, "How are you doing, Mom?"

Rotating her head, she opened her eyes and looked at me. She said with a tiny smile, "I can honestly say I've had better weeks."

I giggled, just a little as I replied, "I know what you mean, Mom, I know what you mean."

Mom sighed as I released her to sit in an empty chair. "Mom, why was Rachael brought here, instead of Primary Children's?"

"After your dad's boss found out about him being arrested, and why, they terminated his employment. The problem is, no employment, no company medical insurance. Because you're a student, all of your needs will be taken care of. Now that I'm working here, they will take care of my medical needs. They just haven't had to take care of dependents before, so they're still trying to decide how to handle Charles’, Karen's, and Rachael's medical needs. Also, nobody could have foreseen something like this."

"I understand." I was, after all, curious. I hadn't expected to see Rachael for about eight years, and certainly not in this condition. "Mom, have you had breakfast yet?"

"No I haven't. I woke up and came straight here."

"Why don't you go get yourself something? Mary Beth and I will stay here until you get back."

Are you sure? Don't you two have something that you need to do?"

"Yes we do, but it will wait. Go get something to eat and relax for a few minutes. Come back when you're ready."

"Sweetheart, are you sure?"

"Absolutely! We've had breakfast; I've had a nice talk with Ellen and now I’m feeling better about everything. Her instructions were to send you to get something to eat. So go on. If we need anything, Tina is just down the hall."

"Oh all right, I shouldn't be too long. You two behave yourselves!" Mom got up and started for the door.

I looked at Mary Beth to discover that she was looking at me. We smiled at each other and replied in unison, "Yeess Mother."

Mom couldn’t help it, she chuckled, shaking her head as she left.

“So why did you send your Mother off?” Mary Beth asked.

“It really was Ellen’s instructions. I guess she knew that Mom wouldn’t think of herself first, and would have to be forced to take care of herself. Anyway, Mom would have just sat here being sad, waiting for Rachael to wake up. You and I, on the other hand …” I stood up and went to Rachael’s bed, “… can take a more direct approach.”

I leaned over Rachael’s bed, shifting it a little, reaching out my hand, preparing to tickle her nose. Suddenly her eyes popped open. I screamed, as I jumped back. “Don’t even think about it, Sis,” Rachael said gruffly. Then she moaned and complained, “Gee whiz, everything hurts, especially if I try to move.”

“Rachael!” I squealed, “You’re awake!” I rushed back to her bed to give her a hug.

“Don’t touch me!” she cried out. “I said it hurts to move! In fact, it hurts all the time.”

“But I’m so glad that you’re awake.”

“I’ll go get Tina,” Mary Beth was smiling as she left.

“Well, I’m not glad, it didn’t hurt when I was asleep,” a very grumpy Rachael complained. She stopped glaring at me and looked down at herself. “Well, now I know why I can’t move. Where am I, Sis?”

“You’re in a hospital.”

“No kidding Sis. I’m glad you’re here to tell me the obvious. I know it’s a hospital, but which hospital?”

“This is the hospital at Immigration Manor,” I sighed. I wasn’t really sure if I should have told her that, considering what Ellen had told me earlier.

“I didn’t know they had a hospital at the Manor.”

“Well, now you do,” I answered as Tina and Mary Beth came into the room.

“Good morning, Rachael,” Tina was all smiles. “My name is Tina, I’m your nurse. Mary Beth says that you hurt.”

“That’s an understatement. I don’t know how many pieces I’m in, but everyone of them hurts.”

“I’ve already called Dr. Harris. He’ll be here shortly,” Tina told her as she put a needle into a port in the IV tubing. “This should make you more comfortable. It won’t put you to sleep, but should help with the pain.”

“Thank you, I’m not usually this crabby,” Rachael apologized.

“That’s quite all right, Dear, I understand completely. Is there anything that I can do for you before Dr. Harris arrives?”

“Well, I, umm, … I do need to, um …”

I pushed Mary Beth toward the door. “Come on Mary Beth, that’s our cue to wait in the hall.”

“Well, Rachael, because of your injuries, you obviously can’t just get up and go to the bathroom. You have two choices, you can call a nurse each time you need to relieve yourself, so we can put a bed pan under you, or …” That was all we heard as the door closed.

“But Matilda, don’t you want to stay and talk with Rachael?”

“Trust me Mary Beth, we will talk with Rachael, but right now she doesn’t need us around. Remember, I’ve been on the receiving end of that conversation. Only, for her, it’s going to be worse. I could move around, Rachael can’t. It’s going to be hard enough on her, without us being in there.”

“You’re right Matilda, I wasn’t thinking of Rachael’s feelings. I guess I’ve gotten used to not thinking about others, it’s surprising how fast that can happen when you’re isolated by your own family. Mom didn't talk to me, all she did was yell and if anyone else talked to me, she yelled at them.” Mary Beth hung her head, as she described how she was treated. “I’m sorry! I’ll try harder to be more considerate.”

“That’s okay,” I said with a smile after hugging her. I lifted her chin so I could see her eyes. “You’re watching out for me and my little problem; I guess it’s only fair that I watch out for you, and help you with yours. Deal?”

“Deal!” she agreed. We sealed our accord with another hug.

Moments later, the door opened and Tina came out, “You may go back in now, girls.”

“Thank you, Tina,” said Mary Beth.

As we entered, I noticed that Rachael’s eyes were closed. I went to her bedside and gently touched her fingertips and asked, “Feeling better?”

Rachael opened her eyes and almost smiled, “Yes, I’m feeling a little better. The stuff Tina put in the IV did a good job of killing most of the pain. I still hurt, but not like before. I’m sorry I was so gruff with you.”

“That’s okay, Sis,” I smiled to show her that I wasn’t upset. “I knew it wasn’t the real you talking. So Rachael, can you tell us what happened?”

“I guess it started today at lunch. ... Wait a second, what day is it?”

“It’s Saturday morning, October thirtieth,” Mary Beth, answered.

“Oh, I guess it was yesterday at lunch. I was with some of my friends, playing hopscotch, when Bart and his gang came along. He picked me up and demanded to know where my sissy brother was. I smiled in his face and told him that Charles will kick his butt, if he called him a sissy to his face. Bart threw me down and cursed at me. You know I don’t use that kind of language, so I can’t tell you what he said.”

“That okay, I know the kind of language that Bart uses.”

“Anyway, he said I was a stupid little girl, and that he wanted to know where 'Little Mattie' was, and why he hadn’t been in school. I told him that you got tired of having a big stupid bully following you around like a lost puppy dog, and that you went to a new school, full of real smart kids. Then I told him that he’d better be careful, because someday Matt might come back and get even for all the mean things he’s done. He laughed at me and said that I was the one that was stupid, and that nobody could do anything to him. That’s when three teachers came by and he left. I didn’t see him the rest of the day. That is, until I was about half way home."

"Rachael, you should know better than to get Bart mad, especially where money is concerned," I scolded.

“You're right, and I did know better. He was just acting so stupid and I wasn't thinking about what I was doing. Anyway, as I was passing the Andersen’s, Bart jumped out from behind the bushes, on the corner. He was real mad and he was swinging a big piece of wood, as if it was a baseball bat. It looked like a tree branch. He said that he'd lost $600 this week and demanded to know where you were. I told him that you were someplace where he couldn’t touch you and kept walking. He screamed, I felt something sting my leg, and I fell down.

“When I rolled over to look at him, I saw that my right foot was pointing the wrong direction. Then I saw the branch flying and it smashed into my left leg. That’s when both legs really started hurting, and I screamed. He was yelling at me and I started screaming at him. I think I called him some names that I don't normally use. I'm pretty sure I called him a big, stupid, overgrown elf. I saw the branch was flying again; I tried to block it with my arm. That was a mistake; I think it went right through my arm, it hurt so bad. I don’t remember anything after that, until I woke up here."

For a while, it was quiet, except for Rachael's sniffles. Then she continued, asking, "Matilda, what am I going to do?”

“Well little sister, it looks to me like you’re going to spend about six months in bed.”

“Of course I’m going to spend a lot of time in bed, but what am I going to do? You know me. I can’t just lie around all the time. I have to be moving, doing puzzles, reading books, something. The only things I can move are my fingers. I can’t feed myself. I can’t even go to the bathroom without someone picking me up to put bed pan under me and wiping me after …,” Rachael was crying now.

I did the best I could at hugging her, without actually moving her. I talked with her gently, reassuring her that everything would be all right. Mary Beth moved to the other side of Rachael’s bed and gently stroked her fingers. I didn’t know what to tell her. What could I say to help ease her pain? All of the pain and sorrow of my own experiences hadn’t prepared me for the challenge that faced me now, how to ease my sister’s pain.

I don’t know how long the three of us stayed like that. It wasn’t until Mom and Dr. Harris came in, that we moved. “Rachael, it’s so good to see that you’re awake,” Mom said as she entered the room.

I moved away, so Mom could take my place. “Be gentle, Mom, she hurts everywhere,” I said softly.

“Well, that’s to be expected,” Dr. Harris added, “considering how many pieces she was in. It’s a good thing that I’m better than the king’s horses and the king’s men, otherwise Miss Dumpty would still be in pieces.”

“So just how many pieces was I in?” Rachael asked.

“Well, your skin was still in one piece, but your bones were in many pieces,” Dr. Harris said jokingly. Then he turned serious, as he continued. “You are a very lucky young lady, Rachael. Lucky to be alive, that is.”

“I just wish I felt lucky,” Rachel groaned. “Right now I feel more like twenty miles of bad road.”

“Believe me, you are lucky,” he added. “I have a question for you though. Do you like to go swimming?”

“Swimming? What does that have to do with anything?”

“Well, I had to make a few incisions as part of the process of putting you back together. I’m afraid that you’ll have a few scars from the process.”

“Scars, like what, where?”

“Well let’s see, umm, there’s one about three inches above your left wrist, and one two inches below your right elbow. There are also several on each leg where I had to go in and insert some steel pins. I’m afraid that you looked a little like Dr. Frankenstein’s monster, that is, before the casts were put on. On the other hand, when they come off in three to six months, all that should be left of those incisions should be some very small scars.”

“So now you’re telling me that I look like a monster?” Rachael cried out.

“Is that how it came out?” Dr. Harris asked. “I’m sorry; I’m still working on my bedside manner, and learning how much information to give to whom. You will have some small scars; most of them are about an inch long, in various locations on your arms and legs. The good news is, that in about three weeks we, will take some x-rays. If your arms are healing, like I think they should, we will be able to take off part of the cast and you will be able to move your shoulders.”

“I’m sorry Dr. Harris. I know that you’re just trying to help me. I guess I’m still shook up by all of this. After all, I’m only eight. I didn’t think I’d be spending six months in traction when I told Bart that he was a fat stupid bully.”

“Now that we know all the gruesome details, I think Mary Beth and I should leave, giving you and Mom some time alone. We have an appointment to get some Halloween costumes,” I smiled, as I kissed my finger and touched Rachael’s nose. “I’m sure that Mom wants to chew you out for being silly, or something like that. We’ll come back and see you later.”

“Halloween Costumes! I’d completely forgotten about the Halloween Ball,” shrieked Mary Beth.

“Halloween Ball! What Halloween Ball?” Rachael demanded.

“It’s a yearly event, on Halloween night,” I explained. “Everyone dresses up, even the staff. I know one girl that is going as Lady Godiva. We haven’t decided on costumes yet and need to go see the theater director.”

“I thought we decided that we’d go as mother and baby, with you as the baby,” giggled Mary Beth.

“I thought I was going as Cinderella and you were going to be the ugly, wicked step mother,” I quickly responded.

“What did I say about ugly?” pouted Mary Beth.

“I’ve got the perfect costumes for both of us,” I grinned. “We can dress up as archeologists, and we can take Rachael as our mummy.”

“Nobody is taking Rachael anywhere,” Dr. Harris said sharply.

“Oh, you two are going to make Ellen wish she’d never admitted you,” Mom giggled, as she shook her head. “Get out of here you two! Go on, now, scoot.”

We left Rachael’s room giggling, said so long to Tina, and went down the stairs. We stopped in the hospital lobby, to determine where we needed to go, and the best way of getting there. I pulled out my PDA and entered 'Wardrobe' into the location finder.

When the location was displayed, I showed it to Mary Beth, who told me "That's not surprising, we should have guessed that."

"You're right, Mary Beth, no surprise. We better get going; Ellen was going to call Mr. McGuiness, informing him that we were new students and would be needing some help with costumes."

"Look Matilda, it's snowing again."

"Cool! I wonder how much snow we'll get? I remember Lizzy said something about eight to ten feet. That’s so much more than we used to get back home."

"Really? That’s going to be neat to play in."

"Lizzy said that when it's deep enough, some students dig tunnels, making a maze."

"Wow, this winter is going to be a lot more fun than last year."

"Come on Mary Beth, let's get going." I giggled at her excitement.

We put on our coats and went out to face the elements. There was about six inches of snow covering the grass. I was surprised to find none on the sidewalks, absolutely none. We'd only gone a little way when my curiosity got the better of me. I stopped, squatted down, and put one hand on the sidewalk.

"Now I know how they keep the sidewalks clear," I told her as I stood up.

"What do you mean?"

"Mary Beth, there's six inches of snow, do you see anyone with a snow shovel, a snow blower, or even any piles of show that have been removed from the sidewalks?"

"No," she replied after scanning the grounds.

"And you won't see anyone shoveling snow, ever. Want to know why?"

"Okay genius, why."

"Because the sidewalks are heated."

"What?"

“Yup, heated sidewalks, they must be about eighty degrees. If they keep them heated all winter, you’ll never see any snow on them. Look, see the water is running into the crack between the sections of the sidewalk. That must be some kind of drain system, so the water doesn’t run off onto the grass, freezing into ice ponds.” ‘I wonder where they get the power for this place. I haven’t seen any sign of power lines, or phone lines. It’s got to cost a lot to keep the sidewalks this warm.’

It took a little while to get to the administration building, where the theater is, as Mary Beth was still moving in slow motion. We kept up a continuous verbal battle, teasing each other about costumes that we knew the other wouldn’t like. By the time we arrived, Mary Beth was exhausted, although we’d decided on several good possibilities. The only question that remained was, what costume would be available that would fit me.

“Top of the morning lassies,” a distinguished looking gentleman, with a deep Scottish accent, greeted us as we entered. “I’ll be assuming that one of yeh is Mary Beth and the other be Matilda. May I inquire as to which of yeh, is which?”

“I’m Matilda,” I replied, as I helped Mary Beth to a chair so she could rest.

“Good day to yeh, Miss Matilda, and to yeh, Miss Mary Beth. I’m Tony McGuiness. Ellen informed me that yeh be needing some help with costumes.”

“Yes we do,” I started.

“We’ve been discussing what costumes we’d like to go to the ball in,” Mary Beth interrupted. “But honestly, we don’t know what will fit my friend Matilda.”

“Hmm, she is just a wee lass, isn’t she. Matilda, would yeh please step up on this platform? I’ll be requiring your measurements before we can select a costume for yeh.”

“I guess so,” I replied, not sure if this was a good thing or not. 'Does "wee lass" mean the same as "little one"?' I wondered. As I stepped up onto the platform, my curiosity got the better of me, “Mr. McGuiness, don’t you already have access to our measurements?”

“What do you mean?” asked Mary Beth.

“Haven’t you noticed how perfectly your wardrobe fits? I don’t know about you, but my clothes have never fit me this well.”

“But, I’ve never been measured,” stated Mary Beth. “Well, not recently anyway.”

“Aye lassies, I do have your measurements,” answered Mr. McGuiness, “but I’ve no idea when they were taken. I’m re-measuring you both as you bairns grow so quickly.”

Mr. McGuiness set to work, measuring me from head to toe, and everything in between. Then he checked some things on his computer and shook his head. After he finished with me, he had Mary Beth take my place and he started the process of measuring her.

“Well now, Miss Beth,” Mr. McGuiness started.

“Excuse me, but 'Beth' is my middle name. My full name is Mary Beth Phelps, but I prefer just Mary Beth.”

“My sincerest apologies Mary Beth,” Mr. McGuiness said, with a deep bow. “As for a costume that would fit yeh, on such short notice, there be many to choose from. Do yeh fancy something plain, something with frills, or would yeh fancy something suited for the male gender?”

“Oh, I’m definitely NOT looking for something suited for the male gender. But let’s see what you have for Matilda first, and then I’ll decide what I want. I want something that will compliment what she’s wearing, if possible.”

“I’m afraid that on such short notice, the choices for Miss Matilda are somewhat limited. The first would portray her as a young lass, of about five. Tis a lovely pink party dress, with lace and ribbons.” ‘I smiled to my self, remembering when Mom had caught me wearing Rachael’s pink party dress. My, but, how my world has changed since then.’ “The second would give the appearance of a pixie, or fairy, with pointed ears." 'Maybe I should just take the ears and go as a Vulcan child. "The third would be that of a young lad, of about eight years of age, actually, it is from the nursery rhyme ‘Little Boy Blue’. The forth is that of a munchkin, from the ‘Wizard of Oz’.”

Mary Beth started laughing as she heard the last choice of costumes that would fit me. I on the other hand, sat quietly with my arms folded, shaking my head.

“Excuse me Miss, did I say something funny?” Mr. McGuiness asked.

“That’s her nickname,” laughed Mary Beth.

“Who’s nickname?”

“Matilda’s,” Mary Beth was now suffering from the pain of laughing so hard with her sore ribs, but couldn’t stop herself. She held her side as she continued. “Matilda’s nickname is Munchkin.”

“Well, where I can see that this be amusing, I don’t believe it’s that funny.”

“Don’t worry about it Mr. McGuiness, Mary Beth has a rather strange sense of humor,” I said soberly. Sighing, I thought about my choices and added, “May I have a look at the Munchkin costume, please?”

“Are yeh sure, Miss Matilda?”

“No, I’m not sure, but at least I’ll take a look at it. If it isn’t too goofy looking, I’ll try it on. It could be a kind of a fun way to announce to everyone, that 'The Munchkin' has come to the Manor.”

Well, the Munchkin costume wasn’t that bad. It was a girls costume, short skirt, some ribbons, lots of colors, a silly hat and those goofy, curly toed shoes. The only thing that bothered me, was the very overly padded panties, that went with it, to show off the ruffled bottom of the tights. At least they were panties that pulled up, not a diaper, that needed to be pinned on, so going to the bathroom when needed wouldn’t be a problem. As for Mary Beth’s costume, I naturally suggested the Wicked Witch. Mary Beth decided on, of course, something that resembled Dorothy.

We were about half way through Mary Beth’s costume fitting, when my PDA beeped. Checking the display, I found that I'd receive a text message, from Aaron.

Matilda,
It’s lunchtime.
When are you and Mary Beth
going to be finished in wardrobe?
Aaron.

'I wonder how he knew where we were?' I sent him a note telling him of our status; also, I indicated how much longer we were expected to be. I assured him that we would be at choir practice on time. Aaron sent a note back to me, telling me that he would arrange for some lunch to be waiting for us in our rooms.

Once we were finished getting both costumes, along with some slight alterations, they were bagged, so we could take them back to our rooms. I still wasn’t sure that the Munchkin costume was a good idea, but it seemed to be the best choice, of what was available.

We rushed back to our rooms; well, we ‘rushed’ as fast as Mary Beth could go. After hanging up our costumes, we rested for a few minutes, while eating lunch. ‘We’d better learn to love submarine sandwiches, or learn how to get to meals on time.’

As we were on our way back to the theater for choir practice, I turned to Mary Beth and giggled, "You know Mary Beth, sometimes we’re stupid."

"Why do you say that?"

"Well, as long as someone was delivering our lunch, we should have had it delivered to one of the dressing rooms, next to the wardrobe department. It would have saved you from having to walk to our rooms and then back to the theater again."

"You're right! Oh well, next time," she puffed, definitely tired from all the walking, while trying not to move her tender ribcage.

"I guess we could ask if there is a wheel chair you could use for going from building to building."

"I'm not a complete invalid," she scowled.

"Of course not! It would just make getting from place to place a little easier and faster. Perhaps we could use a golf cart instead."

"They have golf carts?"

"Oops, I guess I haven't told you quite everything." I quickly told her a few more details about my graduation from girl 101 and 102, along with the events of that day.

"You mean to tell me that Beca? The same Beca that helped out at my birthday party, dresses up as a boy? Not just a boy, but a French boy?"

"Actually, yes."

"Hold on one minute," she suddenly stopped. "Last Thursday in the hospital, when you dressed up to distract the hospital staff, there was a boy yelling in French. That … that was ..."

"That was Joseph. The first time I saw him, I acted so stupidly, I asked Lizzy if I could take him home with me," I giggled, remembering our first meeting.

Suddenly Mary Beth punched my arm, almost knocking me over. “What on earth was that for?”

“Well, for looking at a boy that way, and for even thinking about taking him home with you, and did you even think about me?”

“Actually, I thought about you every day that I was here. Everything I was doing was for you, for your birthday. I wanted to be the best girl I could be, so you would be proud of me.”

She softened and hugged me, “I’m sorry for hitting you, and for mistrusting you.”

As we were talking outside the theater, quite a few other students walked past us on their way to choir practice. Many of them were giggling at our conversation.

"So tell me more about Beca. You're telling me that she changes back and forth, when ever she wants?"

About that time Tony, Em, Deanna and Peggy stopped to see what we were talking about and join in our conversation.

"That's what I'm saying; Beca and Joseph are the same person. When she's dressed as Beca, she’s all girl, and when he's dressed as Joseph, he's all boy."

"Now I'm confused," Mary Beth confessed as she shook her head.

"You're confused now, just wait until Mr. Peterson announces another 'Freaky Friday'," Peggy giggled, as she jumped into the conversation.

"I'll say," Em joined in. "It took me forever to remember everyone’s opposite gender name."

"What's Freaky Friday?” Mary Beth asked.

Tony asked, "Oh, you haven't heard about that yet?"

“Well, I know about the Disney movie ‘Freaky Friday’, that’s where a mother and her daughter traded bodies. The girl had to pretend to be her mother, which was kind of gross. We haven’t been told about anything here,” Mary Beth confessed.

“I guess you’re in for a little culture shock,” smiled Deanna. “Freaky Friday is something they do about every other month, or so. It’s where everyone changes gender. It goes like this; if you normally dress as a girl, you're to dress and act like a boy. Of course, the boys have to dress and act like girls. It’s pretty funny sometimes, seeing the silly things we do.”

“That crazy! I don’t want to dress like a boy,” complained Mary Beth. “Why would anyone want to dress like …” Mary Beth stopped talking and looked at the sad expression on my face. As she tried to put an arm around me, I moved away so she couldn’t. “Matilda, ... I’m sorry. You told me I haven’t been thinking about the feelings of others. I did it again, didn’t I?”

“Boy I’ll say,” Tony said, jumping right back at her. “That was one of the most insensitive things I’ve heard anyone say around here. You just insulted about sixty percent of the students here.”

“I’m sorry everyone,” Mary Beth said sadly as she hung her head. She turned and started slowly walking back to the dorm.

“Mary Beth,” I asked softly, “where do you think you’re going?

She stopped and looked at me. I’ve never seen my friend so totally crushed emotionally. She could barely speak, “Back to my room,” she choked out.

I rushed over to her and put my arms around her waist, “Not without me you’re not.” I turned to the others and continued, “Last night you heard my story, but you haven’t heard about my friend Mary Beth. She’s loved me and protected me since we were in Kindergarten together. When she found out I was … transgender, she stood by me and loved me even more. She stood by me when nobody else would. She’s the kindest person that I know, next to my mother. If she doesn’t seem like it, it’s because her family abused her for the last eight weeks. She's been emotionally abused; through isolation by those who should have loved her the most. She was treated that way, because she was my friend, and refused to forsake our friendship. All she needs is some love, understanding, patience, and some forgiveness, now and then. Before you know it, she will be the kind, loving person that she once was.”

Mary Beth was crying openly as I finished. Several of the others had tears in their eyes as well. Em was the first to speak, “Mary Beth, I think most of us know how it feels to be emotionally abused. We know how that can make you say things that you don’t mean.”

“It was insensitive,” Tony said. “But you realized it, even before you finished what you were saying. That says you’re getting better. We’ll all help you, if you’ll let us.”

“I’m sorry everyone,” Mary Beth managed to say, as she was still crying. “I guess more of Mom’s yelling at me sank in than I thought. I didn’t mean to hurt anyone.”

I led Mary Beth away. “Where are we going?” Mary Beth asked with a sniffle.

“We’re going to have a talk with Ellen,” I said gently. Turning back to the others, I called out, “You guys go on to choir practice. We’ll see you all in the lounge before dinner.”

I knocked on Ellen's office door, hoping she was in and could see us. "Come in," she replied.

I opened the door. Mary Beth was having second thoughts about seeing Ellen; I almost had to push her through the door.

"Matilda, what's happened?" Ellen asked, as she saw Mary Beth’s condition. She quickly came around her desk and helped me settle Mary Beth on one of the couches.

I quickly told Ellen, that we'd just learned about 'Freaky Friday' and the conversation that followed. We spent the next hour and a half with Ellen. Mary Beth was well on her way to becoming her old, loving and caring, self again. It will take some more time; after all, you don't just put eight weeks of abuse into a paper bag and simply throw it away.

We went back to the years lounge to wait for the rest of the year. It was Ellen's suggestion to talk over Mary Beth's problem, with the others. She told us that most of our fellow students had been abused in some form or another, and that sharing each others experiences, helps everyone grow and become stronger. Ellen was right, again. It’s so good to have real friends that love and care about you.

The conversation at dinner was a little quieter than normal, with several students talking among themselves in French. I guess they needed the practice, I know I did. I listened, trying to make out what they were saying, even asking questions. I’m starting to look forward to starting French lessons on Monday. Instead of going to the year lounge, between dinner and the evening choir practice, we went to see how Rachael was doing.

"Hi, Rachael, feeling any better?" I asked cheerfully, as we entered her room.

"Better than what?" she grumbled.

"Better than you felt this morning?" asked Mary Beth.

"Better than when Bart attacked you?" I asked.

"I guess if you put it that way, I do feel better," she admitted. "So what brings you two to this dark and dismal corner of the world?"

"We've come to see my sister, to bring a little light into her dark world and to see if I can make her laugh a little," I explained as I went to the window and opened the curtains, while saying, “That takes care of the dark."

“Maybe I like it dark and gloomy.”

“Well now little sister of mine, we’ve had enough gloom for one day, right Mary Beth?”

“I’ve certainly created enough gloom, but I don’t think it’s going to hang around for too long.”

“What on earth are you talking about?” demanded Rachael.

“I wasn’t thinking about what I was saying,” Mary Beth explained, “And before I realized it, I insulted almost the entire school. I’m sure the story circulated like wild fire during choir practice. I didn’t mean to hurt anyone’s feelings, it just that, … well, you know how my mom yelled at me all the time, because I refused to hate Matilda. I guess more of her negative side rubbed off on me than I thought.”

“Don’t worry about it.” I put my arms around Mary Beth, “In a few months you’ll be your old self again, all those negative feelings will be gone, and everyone will know what a wonderful person you really are.”

“Matilda, do you really think so?”

“Of course I do. Weren’t you listening to Ellen? If you feed someone negative information long enough you get negative information out. We’re just going to turn that around and feed you nothing but positive information from now on. Why, I’ll bet that before we leave for Toronto you’ll feel better and everyone will love you.”

“Oh Matilda, you’re such an optimist.”

“Who’s going to Toronto?” asked Rachael.

“The school’s going on a field trip to Toronto,” answered Mary Beth.

“You remember Beca and Lizzy telling us about the school’s field trips, don’t you?”

“Yes. When do you leave and how long will you be gone?” Rachael asked sadly.

"We'll be gone for about ten days," I answered.

"And we leave in about five or six weeks," added Mary Beth.

"Starting Monday, Mary Beth and I are getting a crash course in French."

"We would have started our French class yesterday morning, but Matilda couldn't keep her eyes open," Mary Beth teased.

I was going to answer back when I realized how sad and depressed Rachael was becoming, and she was becoming more depressed the longer we talked. "Rachael, what's wrong?"

"You're going to run off and leave me, you’ll be having fun, while I 'm stuck here doing an impersonation of a mummy," she screamed.

"Rachael," I said reassuringly, as I held her fingers, "I wouldn't go off and leave you alone with nothing to do, with no way to keep your mind challenged. You know that I love you, you silly little urchin. I'm already working on some ideas, things you can do while you're here. We've got some terrific friends here, they would like to meet you, I'm sure they will help us."

"I'm sorry Matilda; I'm just feeling sorry for myself and was thinking that you would forget about me. I should have known better. I know how much you love me."

"That's all right, Rachael, I understand completely," I told her gently. "We'll come and see you every day. The time may vary, but at some time. Is there anything we can do for you? Besides smuggle you out of here!"

"Um, I guess not. The nurses don't have a schedule worked out yet, you know the every day things, when I get fed, when I can watch TV, when I get washed and when I can, well ... you know."

"Yes Sis, I know. Um, I was wondering, I know it's embarrassing to have an adult doing some of those things for you. Would you feel better if I were to help take care of you?"

"Oh I don't know, let me think about that, okay?"

"Sure thing, you know I'll do anything for you."

Mary Beth piped up, "Don't forget me! I'll help, too."

"I'm not forgetting you, Mary Beth," Rachael confessed, turning to smile at her. "With the three of us here, it's almost like last summer. The Three Musketeers ride again. Maybe we could get two more beds in here and the Three Musketeers could have a six month slumber party."

I didn't have the heart to tell Rachael that Mary Beth and I had been sleeping together since that first night at Primary Children's.' I didn't want her to feel more alone than she does.

"I don't know if people around here would consider us the Three Musketeers, perhaps the Three Stooges," teased Mary Beth.

"Mary Beth, the Stooges were comedians; they were paid to tease each other while making other people laugh," Rachael countered.

"Well, other than getting paid, that pretty much described how we were last summer. We teased each other, had lots of fun and made people laugh," Mary Beth reminded her.

Laughing, Rachael replied," I guess you're right about that. I suppose I was trying to make us seem a little bit more adventurous, instead of just goofy."

"That's us, The Three Goofy Sisters." We all laughed at that.

"I'm not sure the Black Sheep are ready for The Three Goofy Sisters," I laughed.

"What's the Black Sheep?" Rachael asked, still giggling.

"That's what everyone calls year A," answered Mary Beth.

"What's year A?" came the next question.

Mary Beth and I then proceeded to give Rachael an abbreviated rundown of our fellow students. As we finished passing on our limited information, I checked the time on my PDA.

"Rachael, I'm afraid that we have to be going. Before we leave, I was wondering, how much can you move your fingers?"

"What time is it?" Mary Beth asked, then checked her PDA.

"What! You've only been here a little while. Why do you have to leave?" Rachael demanded, she was starting to cry again.

"Now, now, don't start that again," I said sweetly, as I slipped an arm around her head, gently dabbing at her tears with a tissue. "We need to go to choir practice. It'll take us twenty minutes to walk back to the theater."

"Twenty minutes? I don't remember the school being that big," complained Rachael, begging us to stay longer.

"It's not. It's just that Mary Beth is that slow. She was also one of Bart's victims, remember? She needs time to rest before our three hour practice."

"Oh! Why do you want to know how much I can move my fingers?"

"Just wondering how many buttons on a remote control you'd be able to reach?"

"Remote control?" ask Mary Beth.

"Sure! If we can somehow mount something to the bottom of the cast, below her wrist, then she wouldn't have to call the nurse when she wants the TV changed. I'm also thinking of some other things, to help her stay somewhat active," I confessed.

They both looked at me as if I was crazy, but my mind was racing with ideas. <>i 'If there were controls on both hands, with a computer linked to the TV, she'd have access to e-books, maybe even a closed circuit, to some place with small robots that she could control, to move puzzle pieces around. I wonder how much I can do to help her? I know that I can’t do it by myself. I guess I need to talk with the others about these ideas.'

Mary Beth and I headed to choir practice, arriving about five minutes early. We both needed some time to ourselves. I helped Mary Beth to a chair so she could rest after that hike. Then I quickly headed for the nearest restroom, for some relief that I desperately needed.

Choir practice went well. I was starting to understand the words of the carols in French; at least I thought I was. After practice, Beca and Lizzy caught me, as I was coming out of the restroom, demanding to know why we'd missed the last two practices.

First, I explained about the conversation that had taken place outside the theater and that we'd gone to talk with Ellen. Then I had to tell them about Rachael being in the hospital.

Beca saw the rage in my eyes and pulled me aside, "What are you planning, Munchkin?"

"Planning?"

"Yes, planning! I can see it in your eyes. You're planning something. What is it?"

"I'm planning some things for Rachael, so she isn't bored to death. She can only move her fingers a few inches, so this is going to be a challenge."

Beca bent down, looking deep into my eyes, and shook her head, "I think there's more to it than that."

"I don't know what you mean, Beca." 'I couldn't tell her what I promised myself last night, when I first saw Rachael, because I don't have any plans ... Yet.'

"I think you know what I mean. Just don't do anything without thinking about the consequences. You and Mary Beth had better get to your rooms; it's almost 10:00."

"Okay, goodnight, Beca."

"Goodnight Munchkin, remember what I said."

"I'll remember," I promised, as I went to where Mary Beth and Lizzy were talking. "Goodnight, Lizzy. Come on, Mary Beth. We need to get going. We've got to hurry, or we're going to be out after curfew."

It had been snowing during choir practice, and now there was about eight inches of snow. That eliminated any possibility of taking the direct approach. There was no way we were going to walk across the grass.

"So, what did Beca want to talk about?" asked Mary Beth, as we exited the building.

"She wanted to know what I'm planning."

"That makes two of us. I know you too well, Matilda. Helping Rachael isn't the only thing on your mind. What are you planning to do about Bart?"

"Honestly?"

"Let me put it simply, my dear," Mary Beth put an arm around my shoulder. "If I find out you aren't honest with me, I'll turn you over my knee. Understand?"

“You wouldn’t!”

“Don’t tempt me.”

“All right! Right now I don’t have any plans, other than somehow Bart and his parents need to be taught that he can’t treat people that way. Just how to do that, I don’t know yet. I haven’t had any time to do any research.”

“Research, how and what are you planning to research?”

“Well, you know that Bart’s dad protects him. Also, that Bart picks on kids that are smaller than he is, mostly young girls. There has to be a way to get everything we know to the police, or someone who can do something. I need to figure out how to do it, without you or I being involved.”

“Nothing like a little challenge, right Matilda?”

“Yeah, get all that done from here without anyone knowing about it, just a little challenge,” I giggled.

We finished the walk in silence; Mary Beth was exhausted as usual. ‘I need to talk with Dr. Harris about her, and all the walking she’s been doing.’ We quickly got ready for bed. I decided to try out one of the pink baby doll nighties. I was just turning down the covers, when Mary Beth knocked.

“Come in,” I called out.

“So, who’s the girly, girl now?” she teased.

I just shook my head and giggled, “I wore this kind of nightie most of the time last summer. Besides, I like being a girly girl.”

“Oh my, aren’t you just the cutest little thing,” she snickered, while running her fingers through my hair.

I frowned at her, as I shook my head.

“You know, you’ll look even better once your hair grows out.”

“Oh you,” I moaned, as I straightened out my hair, with my hand. “Come on, let’s say our prayers and get into bed.

“Okay ... I just wish I had my scriptures. I used to read for about ten minutes, before I went to bed, I really miss that.”

“I know what you mean. Wait a second, tomorrow’s Sunday.” I grabbed my PDA and sent Ellen a note, asking her what church services were available here.

We knelt together and said our prayers. We were just getting into bed when my PDA beeped. It was from Ellen, I hadn’t expected her to reply so fast. She gave me a link to where the schedule of the religious services for the school was kept. We discovered that services for five religious denominations were scheduled. We were delighted to find that LDS services would be held in the small dining room that Beca and I had used while I was in training. The meetings were to start right after years D — H finished breakfast.

With that information, and with the calendar on our PDA's, we planned the next day's schedule. Starting the day with a quick shower, followed by meeting the others in the lounge at 7:00, then breakfast, a visit with Rachael, then church, lunch, afternoon choir practice, dinner, the Halloween Ball and then back to our rooms. If it weren't for an hour or so of free time, thrown in here and there, we would need a wheelchair for Mary Beth so she wouldn't collapse from exhaustion. There's no way she would be able to run back and forth, trying to keep up with a schedule that was any tighter.

'Good heavens, when am I going to find time to work my way through this computer system, to the outside. I've got lots of information to uncover before I'll know what can be done about Bart. With schedules like this, the only time I'll have to myself, is when I'm in the bathroom. I wonder ...'

To be continued


Read older comments here.

Comments will be gratefully accepted, either left below or sent to me at
[email protected]

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Copying your comments.

Hello every one,
Erin said that she wasn't going to move comments. That's ok, I think she done an excelent job with the creation of 99 shoes and moving the entire data base. Three chears for Erin - Whooraa, Whooraa, Whooraa.
Anyway as an experiment I copied three comments to Word, deleted the "reply - write author" line and then copied everything else here. Fairly easy and painless for each author to do their own, just an option.

* * * * *

Matilda rides again!

Submitted by Melissa C on Sat, 2007-01-27 01:59.

I would allmost call her more of a wolverren than a munchkin. Be afrade be very afrade. Loved this chapter keep it comming.

Melissa C

* * * * *

Very good Penny!

Submitted by Sephrena Miller on Sat, 2007-01-27 02:27.

Another well written chapter and has peaked my interest quite a bit on how to get back at bart and his father. The beginning introductions of the characters are going very good too! You are just beginning to flesh them out for us and allow us to experience them more personally. I like this story a lot. Please keep it coming! I am waiting already for chapter 3!

*hugs*

Sephrena

* * * * *

Well Done!

Submitted by Marco56 on Sat, 2007-01-27 10:30.

Keep up the great work on this series. I wait with baited breath for the next chapter.

Marc

* * * * *

Hugs & Giggles
Penny

Good idea

erin's picture

Thanks, Penny. :)

Hugs,
Erin

= Give everyone the benefit of the doubt because certainty is a fragile thing that can be shattered by one overlooked fact.

Wow Great Stuff

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Thanks Penny,

Your story is well written and progressing wonderfully. Please keep up the good work and we'll keep reading.

Just curious though, I mean REALLY, exactly how much throuble could one little ten-year-old TG person cause for "Black Bart" with a computer?

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

One little ten-year-old

Hope

You forgot to take into account - she's one little ten-year-old with a computer, a knack for getting around security systems, a burning need to see justice done, and she's been told to do her best. I just hope nobody points her in my direction, hee hee.

Hugs & Giggles
Penny

A veritable BOFH in training...

She's definitely a Techno Wizard, shows early signs of being a potential BOFH.

So, what will she do with Bart? Edit the FBI's website to make him one of the ten most wanted criminals? Drain his bank account? Or 'leak' a few incriminating documents here and there? :)

 
 
--Ben


This space intentionally left blank.

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

What can a ten year old do with a computer?

A smart one can do almost anything an adult can do,
and a lot more than most can do.
If you can get past security system,
you can do a lot just by changing a few records around,
or planting a few things here or there.

She did mention she might go after his parents,
to rein in the power they seem to have to protect him.

One of the most difficult things to give away is kindness.
It usually comes back to you.

Holly

Good read

Hi Penny.
I have enjoyed your first two chapters and look forward to future chapters. As I told Karen on Gabyzone, I like how you are telling us about Matilda befoe she reaches England. Look forward to further joint works from you both.

SHARPHAWLAD (Sharp)

SHARPHAWLAD (Sharp)

Now Matilda Is MAD

Black Bart's attack on Rachael starts a fire in Munchkin that will lead her to destroying her enemy at all costs. Rachael is hurt so bad that she may never walk again. Ellen unwisely gave Matilda carte blanche in her goals. Now to see how easily she can tap the computers to deal with Bart. Maybe Bart will take Matilda's place
in the affections of the men in the van.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Does seem strange

Jamie Lee's picture

How is it Bart has immunity from what he does at school and did to Rachel. Surely someone saw him beating Rachel and could have done something to stop him.

He did make a mistake attacking Rachel, since her sister can exact revenge and never lay a hand on him.

Mary Beth showed great courage, and moral character, standing by Matilda despite what her family wanted.

Others have feelings too.