The Center: Tester - Part 7

Printer-friendly version

The Center: Tester - Part 7

By Blackout

Editor: Zip

Give Zip a thank you for all his help with editing!

Test_pic.png

I am proud to present chapter 7 of The Center: Tester. This is a special chapter.
------------------------------------------------------------

She was grinning looking at me with the eyes of a killer. I had absolutely no idea what I had done to her and yet she was angry at me and was out for my blood. Well maybe not to kill, but she definitely wanted to hurt me. The activity was a simple sparing match we were not to go too serious at each other, but we were supposed to watch each other’s moves and point out mistakes. What we could have done better. It was a time for us to get creative and actually blow of some steam using our powers. Jeff Trait had a stun gun in case things went bad which eased my worries about her killing me. But at the same time I did not want to be brutally burned.

Luckily Mr. Trait had to watch so we went in order, which means I did not have to fight right away. While I was waiting the trembling inside me started to grow. I was at a huge disadvantage. If I could not get my hand in physical contact with her I could not use any real powers. By now word of my powers had went around so she probably knew to keep her distance. My turn got close and closer until finally it was my turn.

Calm yourself, Rachael I told myself. A clear head leads to a clear body able to react to any situation.

“Ok Jasmine, Rachael, you girls are up” said Mr. Trait.

Still not used to being a girl, I thought. I mean it’s only been about two days.

“Ready for some fun you superficial freak?” asked Jasmine.

I need to quickly come up with a witty response. I needed to play Jasmine, to get her angry. I understood now why she did not like me. For some reason she had got it in her head that I was prettier than her, that’s why she called me superficial just now or freak so many times. I was pretty good about understanding human emotions, and this read off as jealousy and hate. Geez why was being a girl so complicated. Boys never were jealous of each other’s looks. I knew what to say, it was not the perfect line but it would piss her off. I was happy that we were allowed to insult and instigate each other. This was because in a real battle if you get angry and lose a clear head, the results can be fatal. So this would help us control our emotions.

“Well I’m prettier then you. So if I’m a freak what does that makes you?”

“Let’s see how long you can say that with a burnt face.”

Her hands created a fire ball which she threw at me; she kept throwing more and more. I had kept my distance for this so they were generally easy to dodge. Unfortunately I could not dodge them forever I needed to get her angrier.

“Are you sure you were ever a guy? It seems like you have always thrown like a girl.”

“SHUT UP FREAK! You are so ugly!”

“Oh that’s interesting. Someone who vandalized my room wrote FREAK on my bed. If they had that little self confidence in their image to take it out on others they must have been some real freak of nature.”

“Grrrrrrrrrr! I am going to freaking kill you.”

She really was. This was what I had been waiting for. Now Mr. Trait could stun her and I would not have to fight her. But the stun never came. Shit! It seems I would have to handle this myself. Why was he not stopping her, she actually wanted to hurt me.

Clearing my head of fear, I went through all the possible options and came to the best one. Her running in at me with a flaming fist was actually a good thing it occurred to me. Before, she stayed distant so I could not use my powers on her but her anger got the best of her and now she had thrown reason to the winds and was charging in at me.

“This is perfect” I muttered to myself.

As she got closer I removed my gloves keeping one hand behind my back. If she saw me remove my gloves she would remember I could copy her powers. She got closer and closer with a flaming fist ready to punch me.

“Take this you FREAK!” Jasmine Screamed.

Her fist was coming at me. I kept a clear head and put my hand right on her face. There came that cold feeling again I kept on as long as I could. I was hoping to knock her out. But no such luck. She realized her mistake and pulled back quickly. She looked a little drain but really pisses.

“You tricked me!” she snarled.

“I did no such thing. You ran at me like a wild bull, I never made you run at me.”

“Grrrr! Does not matter I know how to use my powers better and you don’t. Burn FREAK!”

She had aimed fire at my head and was using a long stream of fire she was forcing out quite inelegantly. The strain from her attack was obvious. Geez I felt her power, I knew how to use it but Jasmine was using her power all wrong.

“You're way too forceful with your power Jasmine, and you’re not using your power well which will just wear you out.”

“Shut up! You don’t know what you’re talking about.”

She was still shooting fire at me but now it was extremely easy to dodge she was so bad at using her powers. Her movements were stiff and she did not let the fire flow out of her and overwhelm her enemies and surround them. Instead she was focusing on finishing her opponent directly with one shot. I decided I would show her up.

“Watch this is how you use your power Jasmine.”

“I said SHUT UP YOU FREAK!”

I kept dodging and the fire was getting less and less. Then I threw some fire at her this time. I used small balls of fire not large ones like her. This was part of my plan the tennis ball sized fire balls were distraction so I could get in closer. It worked she raised a fire wall to block my mini assault. She was way too stationary and she had openings all over. Now was my big moment.

“Are you watching Jasmine? This is how you use your powers correctly.”

I went in at her. She tried to get me with fire but now I used the massive amount of fire I had saved. Her attack was swallowed in my fire. Running around her I created a giant fire wall all around her. She understood what I did now. She was trapped in with the heat. IT was down to a battle of who had more energy and power now to manipulate the flame circle around her. Even if she won she would only be more worn out. But this was my finisher idea and I had a whole lot more power than she did at this point. I was smart and used what power I had more effectively.

She tried manipulating the flames away from her but she could not. I held firm and even pushed the flame circle closer. It was exhausting but I had just begun to use what energy I had and she was fresh out. She was going to lose. I even saw the fear and frustration in her eyes. It was the look of a wild beast who would not give in, even if it meant death.

“I will never give up. Go on kill me.”

She was crying now she had obviously lost but her pride would not let her admit defeat. I decided it was enough and pulled back the fire. She was so surprised and she could not stop crying.

“I lost!” Jasmine cried.

It was sad to see her like this. I decided I needed to comfort her not even Jasmine could keep from crying. She was just as human as me even though she was being really mean.

“Hey stop crying Jasmine; this is not your loss. We will call this a tie. You could have easily beaten me if you had kept a clear head. If you get rattled by insults in battle it can be deadly. You need to think on your feet, which means keep a clear head and move around.”

“But” she spoke.

“But nothing. You were way too stationary during the battle except the one time you let your anger take over, and you made a fatal error. You also did not use your powers efficiently and sent as strong attacks as you could, trying to hit me. You were also way too forceful with your power, you need to let the fire flow easily and smoothly from yourself. There was also no plan to your attack at all. When attacking your opponent the one that thinks ahead and remains calm and cool is usually the winner. We'll do this again sometime and see who the winner is then. You did a great job out there and you certainly are really powerful.”

She was crying now more than ever but now she was smiling. She looked so much prettier when she smiled and a lot more likable then when she was glaring or yelling insults at people.

“Thanks.” She said.

“What are you thanking me for?”

“Not rubbing your victory in my face. But instead you called it a tie. You even told me what I did wrong which no one seemed to do. They all just ran away from me. You’re the first one to approach me in battle and not just throw the match.”

“I told you it was a tie, we’ll decide the winner later.”

She smiled at me. We then shook hands. She then leaned in and promised to confess to ransacking my room. She even said sorry. I smiled maybe she was not so bad after all.

I started to hear clapping! I looked around and all the observers were looking at us. They must have liked what they seen. Then this man came forward with Mr. Trait. I had no idea why though.

“Rachael this is Mr. Lions the head of ability training and testing.”

Oh shit I thought I was probably going to get in trouble for abusive use of powers. Did I push things too far with my circle of fire. Well either way I would find out.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Mr. Lions.”

“It’s nice to meet you too Rachael. Please come with me to my office.”

We then went to his office it was a room filled with cabinets all locked with heavy duty locks. He saw me looking at them.

“These are the files and results we obtain through ability testing and training.”

“Should you be telling me that?”

“Honestly no. But I have a proposition for you. I was extremely impressed with your performance today. You keep a cool head in all situations and know how to manipulate emotions on the battlefield. You also plan ahead and effectively worked on your feet. All things you said yourself are important concepts to training and testing ones power. In addition your ability as a mimic makes you interesting because you can try all sorts of other powers temporarily, and you seem to be able to use those powers pretty well as well.”

“Where are you going with this?” I asked.

“Getting down to the point, I would like you to work with us in Ability Testing and Training. You would have access to test results and you would be our student in charge of helping me run the Testing and Training program here. You would work with me to help train yours and others power. The Ability Testing and Training department is a huge part of The Center. You would be my first mate here when it comes to training and testing the powers and ability of our unique and talented students. So what do you say?”

I was not sure what to say. It was only my second day here, but what he said did make sense. My powers made me an interesting candidate for the job and I was always someone who thought everything through. I was not sure why he decided to spring this on me now though. I realized something though, something he was not telling me.

“Wait a minute, you were watching our fight, and you purposely set me up with Jasmine so as to see if I was a good candidate.”

Mr. Lions smiled; it probably meant I had guessed it right on.

“You’re pretty smart. That was just the final test though, I chose you not just because of your powers or this little test with Jasmine. Which by the way, I was ready to step in at any time, to save either one of you. The other test was the one you took with Ms. Tipp’s. It was well thought out and your ability handle different situation is astounding, you could probably push the limit of people’s powers. “

“That’s flattering but are you sure I am the right choice.”

“Yeah I am sure after seeing your fight with Jasmine. The way you handled the situation with her was astounding. You are also good and passionate at athletics I see from your previous life which will make you a very good trainer.”

“Ok but why now, shouldn’t you have waited a bit longer.”

“To be honest yes, but we don’t have time to wait, especially when we were pretty sure on our choice anyway. See The Center needs a student to help lead ability training it’s a big part of the school, the reason student are here is because they have these amazing abilities. We are getting more and more students and we need an emergent who can train other emergent. Who can understand other emergent powers and help them to develop their own. With what your power is and what you showed me with Jasmine just now I am sure that you are the right choice.”

“Alright, fine… I will help in power testing; I will be your power tester. But I want to know what’s in this for me.”

“Most of it’s for you. You need to use and stretch the abilities of your powers like everyone else, so you need to work with all sorts of different emergents. That is how you will grow in your power and stretch your abilities. Also, since you would be working with us you would be officially recognized as a trainer by this school. And you could wear what you wanted to wear to power training since you will be in charge.”

“Wait! So you mean I can go without the uniform?” I really wanted to get out of the skirt and heels.

“No only the training uniform, you would still be required to wear the school uniform at school. You would only be a superior when it comes to training the emergents that come in.”

I was not too happy about still having to wear the school uniform, but I guess it was better than nothing to be able to get out of the training uniform. They still had the girls train in skirts just skirts less likely to fly up and allow people to see our panties, they also allowed for more movement. But a skirt was still a skirt. I was already getting annoyed with them. I had to watch the way I sat and the way I went upstairs even the way I walked so that no one would see my panties. I hated the fact that I even wore panties now. I was obviously getting angry now so I took a deep breath to calm down.

“Ok where do I sign?”

“Sign here, here, and here. This will give you permission to look at the testing files of the students and create your own. You will need the files to properly test and train students. Also, you are not allowed to reveal data to any unauthorized person. Doing so will result in a lifetime sentence, and I like you so don’t.”

I took the pen from his hands and signed my new name where I needed to. “Rachael Ann Hawkins”.

“Don’t worry I won’t reveal the data to unauthorized people. You can trust meet that I will take this job seriously. I honestly think I will enjoy working with the students on training. It will also give me something to take my mind off the people I lost, like my girlfriend Mattie. So I think this will be beneficial to both of us. I also believe from what I saw in the cafeteria that the students will be supportive of me.”

He smiled at me. “Rachael I know for a fact that I made the right choice in choosing you now. I will see you later have a good day.”

“Yeah you have a good day also.”

I left the room then. Not knowing what to say. This was exciting, amazing news; I was pumped to start being working with other emergents. It seemed like it would be a great experience. Tomorrow I would begin working as a Power Tester.

up
145 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Name

If you have read this chapter through you finally understand my naming of the story, like why I called it tester.

The Center: Tester - Part 7

Now I am wondering about Jasmine and if anybody at the Center set her off or if it was just her life before the Center?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The Tester 7 - Maturation

littlerocksilver's picture

Nice chapter - It was nice to see the adversarial situation relaxing. I have a feeling that their friendship will improve. Stan's comment brings up an interesting point as to why was Jasmine so defensive. I have a feeling she was probably not an attractive boy and was probably the consumate 'loser' in her previous life. She may also have been transgendered. The change gave her many of her dreams: power and beauty among them. Rachel appeared, and challenged her self esteem. Well, I have a feeling that that problem will go away. Now we need to find out about Mattie/Matt.

Portia

Portia

(-: Jasmine

Thats for me to know and you to find out?

It should be rather

It should be rather interesting if Mattie does show up later as an emergent and Rachel is the one who has to test his new abilities. Would Rachel even know who Mattie is at that point?

Changes

I forgot to mention some changes I made.

1. New pictures, there is new pictures for Rachael and Mattie(for now)

2. I have changed the evil organizations name to Magnum. It sounds cooler.

Magnum

Is a brand of ice cream in the UK. And for a Briton, magnum is indeed cool - it's stored just below freezing! Taking it to extremes, think of an American superheroine calling herself Dairy Queen. I'm not saying don't use the name, just that you won't necessarily convey the aura of menace you appear to want.

Mighty

I am thinking of magnum as mighty, big, or strong with a evil connotation added. I was talking to eof. I wanted to get a good evil organisation going, but from the way it seemed people are not to happy with other organizations so I thought trying to use the syndicate but I do like to be original. There were suppose to be many organizations after the emergent but it seems the only real organization people encountered was the syndicate or some unnamed organization who did not play much of a part in the story.

Magnum can mean many things

among them is a rather large bottle of champagne, a very powerful *load* for a gun -- often a hand gun IE think the Dirty Harry films -- and Tom Sellek's Hawaiian detective character.

It could work as a name for your org but often internally they have their own nickname. Plus some organizations have stealthy, vague names to confuse potential adversaries.

I agree, the pyrokinetic carries a TON of emotional baggage. But was it from before or after her emergence. I suspect our heroine resembles in appearance someone who hurt/betrayed her or the former him. ALL the children of the tainted waters are intersexed -- it is critical to the sex change at second emergence -- BUT a very few were intersexed so severely such that they appeared one sex but were the other thus not appearing to changing sex at second emergence. We have one PAIS/AIS *girl* at the Center already from another author's tale. IE they all thought she was a girl PRIOR to her emergence but was in fact an undiagnosed Androgen Insensitive male who became a female on emergence.

Him, what if the pryokinnetic became on second emergence the very image of a girl who tormented HIM pre-emergence . Or she is the image of an unrequited love? A dead older sister? Any of these might make her act out as a bitc*. OR he was a jerk thus she became a jerk?

Nice tale so far. No idea if Lillith will include this in *cannon* but it is a good tale,

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Thanks!

I hope people liked the stories. As for cannon I don't think it will be in the cannon. She told me no. I may have written something that did not go with the center universe. I may have did that in chapter 4 at first, but I changed and removed anything that was questionable in that chapter so as to work with the universe. Even if its considered a fanfic I want it to stay pretty consist with the universe but also make the story interesting and add my own ideas and characters, instead of just using most of the other Center characters. I think she said she browsed chapter 1. Not sure would have to look again. But I will still continue the story till the end. I dislike it when authors start a story but don't finish it leaving you hanging. So I don't want to do that. Though I am willing to take suggestions and have been discussing things with EOF.

Magnum

Renee_Heart2's picture

is ok but look @ james bond 007 movies & wh he was constly fighting SPECTRE (Special Executive for Counter-intelligence, Terrorism, Revenge and Extortion) try using something like this an acronim sounds cool & powerful.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Magnum

Mega
Aims for
governing
Normals and
Ultra
Minds

Mattie

Renee_Heart2's picture

Ok she was captured by the bad guys so whats going on eith her now did the center get to her yeat or at least reconize she is an emmergent. I'm glad that Rachael is a trainer now & that she made Jamine so mad she lose controle & Rachel was able to keep calm & use Jasmin's anger & power aginst her, but in the end Rachel show ed compashion & that she is not a bad person & that she could be trusted & actualy HELPED Jasmine see the errors of her ways all because she stood up to her & didn't run away. NOw I wonder what Jasmine's punishment will be after what she did to Clare & Rachel's room.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

OK, you had me there!.. I was

OK, you had me there!.. I was thinking along the lines of circuit-tester..Kinda lame..Anyways; Glad to see that Rachael was able to help "break thru" Jasmine's
aggressions..Only problem; Was pretty sure that she
was a prime candidate as the mole.

alissa

Exactly what she needed

Jamie Lee's picture

The story doesn't delve into Ryan's personality before transitioning, but going by Rachel's personality Ryan was a very honorable person.

Because no one saw Jasmine teach the room, nothing specific could be done to Jasmine; freak burned on the pillow was a dead give away it had been Jasmine who trashed the room.

Rachael was angry by what Jasmine did to their room, and could have taken that anger out on Jasmine during testing. But Rachael put that out of her head and concentrated on the fight at hand.

Ryan was a thinker, and so is Rachael. Ryan analyzed the situation and acted accordingly, so does Rachael. Rachael realized what Jasmine was doing before the fight begun, and she realized she had to do the same to Jasmine. And it worked.

Jasmine's past had to have been brutal for her to be constantly angry. And Rachel used this anger against her. Used it to the point where Jasmine lost control and actually got close enough to strike Rachael; to strike out at those who had brutalized her. This gave Rachael the opportunity she wanted and she took it to gain Jasmine's power. This one thing validated Mr. Lions' decision to have Rachael work for him.

But what completely cinched the deal is how Jasmine was treated after the fight ended. Rachael didn't humiliate Jasmine, or belittle her, or taunt her, or gloat. Rachael treated her kindly by telling her what she did wrong during the fight. She didn't scream at Jasmine but spoke in a gentle manner. In such a manner that was showing Jasmine the support she needed.

This approach rocked Jasmine back onto her heels, because it was the first time she had been treated this way. It actually gave her something to think about.

Rachel's attitude toward others will make her an great asset in testing and training.

Others have feelings too.