To Theristea

Printer-friendly version
To Theristea
a Blessed Hearts Tale


Andrea’s Letter to Theristea and the Church in Sircusa*

Andrea, a daughter of God and a servant of our Lord, Benjamin and Rachael, our children, Adara, our new daughter in the Lord, and Gaius Marcus, formerly a slave of Rome and now my adopted son and a bond servant of Christ;

To Theristea, our dearly beloved and sister-laborer,

To Abithia and Dorcas, fellow servants and daughters of both mine and yours,

Grace and Peace to you, as is our custom, may He shine his face upon you.

I thank God for all of you, as do they all; in every good thing we rejoice because of the love you gave to us when we were yet in Siracusa.

And we have such joy us because of the faith and love you have shown; which shine out, as it says, like lights in the Universe.

We suffer much discomfort, but it is for the Gospel we suffer, and not for our own sake, so that we may bring life to those who live without hope. I, who am not worthy to untie His sandal, serve yet because of the power of grace in my life as a daughter of Christ, and his grace upon Benjamin, Rachael, Adara, and Gaius also, not only as my children, but also as children of the Living God.

Since your heart has been open and welcome in the Lord, it is fitting to return to you Adara and Gaius, both of whom have served me well, and have given me much joy.

I fear that they will endure much hardship if they remain with me in Hiberina. May our God travel with them and bring them safely to Sicilia. I know you will welcome them as you have welcomed me, your sister and fellow servant into the family of God.

I appeal to you to as a fellow servant; dear one, see to the care of Adara. She means much to me, but even more to the Most High; once she was considered weak and feeble of heart and slow speech, but she is now a woman of inner strength and beauty; take her unto yourself as you would receive me; that is, my own heart. Though her speech remains slow, she speaks with the wisdom of angels; low and humble of heart but with the love and compassion that extends to all, giving healing and comfort to all whom she touches, both beautiful and noble.

There were those in Rome who came against her; claiming themselves to be wise. They became instead fools as they held onto false notions and piety while missing the true meaning of Christ’s sacrifice. I, myself, suffered much under them and yet I count it all privilege that I may serve better and love deeper. Adara was born, as it says in the Gospels, that the ever present grace of God in her life would lead many to life. I count any righteousness gained as loss that I might serve him. This girl who returns to you makes me weep in shame at her example of love and forgiveness. As it says in a way elsewhere, I shall follow her as she follows Christ.

And Gaius also; receive him as my son and fellow heir of the kingdom; may he serve the Lord in your service as well as in the service of husband to his new wife; Adara and he are like my own children. Gaius follows the word that implores to love his wife as Christ loves the church. Even as she gives strength to others, he gives strength to her, and the Lord gives strength to them both. They have served the Lord by loving all they have met with the compassion of God. Having received mercy, they both extend mercy to all and demonstrate the grace of God in their walk with him and each other.

Let not my daughter’s beginnings stay any hand from extending fellowship; she is a woman of love and peace if perhaps not in form. I share much in that regard, and well you know the pain and sadness we both face while apart. I know you will encourage those of the church to receive her as they would receive any daughter of ours. May the Lord bless you for your mercy and compassion to them. I seek no favor for I am but a servant myself, and they owe me nothing other than the love of God, which I pray they receive in their own lives to overflowing. Whatever they may give to these two, let them give it as unto the Lord, and not as unto men or women.

Of Adara, send word to her brother Simon also; he served me well as he served the Lord, and he has worried for her safety and health. Give him and all who fellowship in your house my love and extend to them the Love of Christ.

To Mark, who works with you; let your heart not be troubled. Whatever has gone before is past, and God is not through with you yet. Our brother Barnabbas, whom you know well, needs help else where, and it is time to take up once again your calling. Be not discouraged, but rather be encouraged in the Lord.

To Mary and Leah, who serve in Siracusa; be encouraged. Do not let anyone look down at you because you are women. You share a name with several who have gone before you who have shown the love of God in their lives to the benefit of others. Teach when you can and where you can; your callings are from God and not a mere man. Lead as you are led of the spirit to do good works and teach others the good news by the example of your love for one another.

I write with my own hand in the spirit of love and sacrifice, even as I know you, dear Theristea, may receive it in the same spirit. Benjamin and Rachael, our children, send their greetings to you, their mother, and to their sisters Abithia and Dorcas, to whom I write; may we see each other soon, dearest daughters. To Theristea, I send but this one greeting; My heart to yours, dear one.

May the love of God and His peace be upon your house. Amen.


*see also Adara’s Story — Blessed Hearts series by Andrea DiMaggio

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

My Thanks to The Rev...

Andrea Lena's picture

...for the inspiration, and to Melanie E for the challenge. (Any relation to Sheila E?



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

and blessings for you

for all you do.

"I'm not like other people - Pain hurts me!" - Daffy Duck.

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

To Therestea

I love the way that this story resembles one of the Apostle Paul's letters.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

All are equal in the sight of God who created us...

Ole Ulfson's picture

All are worthy and all are blessed by God's love.

May the love of God and His peace be upon your house. Amen.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!