The Center: Tester - Part 2

Printer-friendly version

The Center: Tester - Part 2

By Blackout

Editor: Geekydee

Thanks to Geekydee for the help in editing.

Test_pic.png

“AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”
“What’s happening? What’s happening? What’s happening to me?!?!” The pain was unbearable; it was as if my body was twisting shrinking and taking a new form. I heard voices all around me.

“Doctor, he woke up!”

“Quickly, sedate him!”

After that I felt a needle being shoved into my arm and fell back asleep.

I woke up for mere seconds again, to see what appeared to be BOOBS growing on my chest. I disregarded it as just seeing things before succumbing to the pain I was in.

When I came to, I was in a grey room. More correctly, there was solid concrete all around me. They had me strapped to a bed. I tried moving, but the effort was unbearable.
“HELLO! HELLO! Is anybody there?!” I was screaming at the top of my lungs. Ouch, my throat. My VOICE!
Ok, now I was scared. My voice, what had they done to my voice? What issued from my mouth can only be described as the angelic voice of a soprano, of a GIRL!

Looking down now, I could see why; there, on my chest, were two mounds of flesh, prominently displaying on MY CHEST!
“I…I…..I’m a GIRL!” I almost lost it right there.

“Yeah, you’re a girl.”

I looked around; there, coming into the room, was that beautiful girl, Kristyn.
“You sleep well, Ryan?”

I gave her one of those looks. She had some nerve to make fun of me after all that just occurred.

“Relax, Ryan. I was only joking. Here, let me unstrap you.” With that, she unstrapped me from the table.
I rubbed my wrists where I was strapped. Damn, my whole body was petite now. The only parts not small were my breasts and hips.

“Kristyn, right?” I practically glared at her.

“That’s right, but most people just call me Kris, its easier.”

“Sure. Do you mind telling me what the HELL YOU PEOPLE HAVE DONE TO ME?!?”

“I was getting to that. Ultimately we have done nothing to you but ensure your safety and the safety of society. As for the reason why you have transformed, I have prepared a video to explain it to you. It saves me the hassle of having to explain it each time.”

A television was rolled into the room by some girl who quickly introduced herself as Liz.

Kris pressed play.

“WELCOME TO THE CENTER, NEW EMERGENT”.
“YOU ARE PROBABLY FREAKING OUT RIGHT NOW. WONDERING WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO YOU."

That was an understatement.

“YOU SEE, IT ALL STARTED SOME YEARS AGO WHEN SOME TERRORIST ATTACKED A GENETICS RESEARCH COMPAMY.
SOMEOF THE RESEARCH MATERIAL LEAKED INTO THE WATER SUPPLY. A BOTTLED WATER COMPANY NEARBY PACKAGED THIS WATER INTO BOTTLES THAT WERE EVENTUALY SHIPPED OUT ACROSS AMERICA.”.
“EFFECTS FROM THIS BOTTLED WATER WENT UNNOTICED TILL LATER. AS IT TURNED OUT, THE ONLY PEOPLE WHO WERE AFFECTED WERE WOMEN WHO DRANK THE WATER WHILE PREGNANT”.
“THESE MOTHERS TO BE TRAGICALLY DIED DURING CHILDBIRTH, YET THE KIDS WENT ON TO BECOME SOMETHING INCREDIBLE, YOU ARE ONE OF THEM. THEY ARE WHAT ARE CALLED EMERGENTS”.
“WHEN AN EMERGENT REACHES FIRST EMERGENT STAGE, THEIR POWER SHOWS. THIS IS WHERE THINGS CAN GET DANGEROUS, AS AN EMERGENT MAY GO ROGUE.“
“AFTER THE FIRST EMERGENCE, IT’S NOT MUCH LONGER BEFORE THE SECOND EMERGENT STAGE HAPPENS”.
“DURING SECOND EMERGENCW, IT IS TYPICAL OF ALL EMERGENTS TO CHANGE GENDERS. THEY ARE ALSO KNOWN TO CHANGE GENETIC CHARACTERISTICS OR HAVE STRANGE FEATURES.”

"Like that almost transparent girl," I thought.

“THE REASON WHY THIS OCCURS IS UNKNOWN. WE CAN ONLY SPECULATE THAT ONE'S FORM IS TAKEN FROM THE GENES OF PAST ANCESTORS THAT LAY DORMANT.”
“THIS IS THE CENTER, A FACILITY AND SCHOOL RUN BY THE DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY FOR THE EMERGED.”
“OUR GOAL IS TO TRAIN THESE AMAZING INDIVIDUALS TO HARNESS THEIR POWER AND HELP THEM OVERCOME ANY DIFFICULTIES THEY MAY HAVE, IN A SAFE AND HELPFUL ENVIROMENT.”
“WE ALSO PROTECT THE GENERAL PUBLIC FROM EMERGED THAT MAY ABUSE THEIR POWERS. REVEALING THE EXISTANCE OF THE EMERGED TO UNAUTHORIZED INDIVIDUALS IS FORBIDDEN, BUT DON’T WORRY, YOU WILL MEET PEOPLE JUST LIKE YOU HERE. YOU ARE NOT ALONE.”
“WELCOME TO THE CENTER.”

Looking back at Kris, I did not know what to say, but my mouth did. “You used to be a guy?”

“Yes. But didn’t you also use to be a guy?” There was this smile on her face that irked me to no end.

“Ryan! Come on. Being a female won’t be so bad. You will get used to it eventually.”

I snorted back, “Yeah, right.” I still could not get used to the angelic, high-pitched voice echoing from my mouth.

“Here, let me help you up, Ryan. The first step is always the hardest. Let’s get you to a mirror so you can see yourself”. Kris wrapped her arms under me and helped to move me out of the concrete room. We moved into what looked like a mix between a doctor’s office and a lab. She then proceeded to help me to a door marked GIRLS RESTROOM. That’s just great more reminders that I was a girl.

I got a good look at myself in the full length mirror and just collapsed, crying. Taking a close look I was surprised to find I looked kind of like a young version of my grandma. I was a stunning beauty. What my reflection showed was a beautiful brunette with long luscious hair and big brown eyes. My lips were big and inviting; they just screamed girl. All my muscle and tone I had been so proud of was gone. In its place, I had the petite body of a girl. My skin was a light tan, and was silky smooth to the touch. I clearly lost a few inches and I looked to be about five feet two inches, where before I was five feet nine inches. My hips were wide like a girls should be and I had love handles that asked to be held. If a guy wanted to he could probably wrap me in his arms with ease. My breasts looked about the same size as Mattie’s, meaning I was probably a C cup.

I felt like such a girl. I just could not stop crying over my last manhood. How was I to be with Mattie now. Mattie likes guys and I clearly no longer fit in that category. She was more likely to braid my hair, do makeup, or go shopping with me now, as GIRLFREINDS talking about... guys. No, I was not ready to even think of that. I kept telling myself I had to still like girls over and over again.

Kris comforted me as best she could. She hugged me and told me how they all went through this but that it was not the end of the world. But, for me, it was the end of the world because Mattie was my world.

I finally stopped crying and was able to wipe the tears out of my face and I moved my hair out of the way also. This was going to be a major pain. I had to stop crying, it only made me more of a girl, and I would focus my energy on searching for a way to change back, even if it killed me. I was Mattie’s Knight, not her best girlfriend. I told myself the loss of my manhood was only temporary.

Kris was giving me a look. “Are you done crying and staring at yourself now? This is the real you there’s no way to change back. I suggest you think of a name to call yourself, a girl’s name.”

I gave her another glare. “I don’t want to. I like being Ryan.”

“Well, sorry, RYAN, you have no choice in the matter. You’re a new person and you need a new identity, I don’t know any girls with the name RYAN. You may have lost a lot but no more than anyone else here. You will see that being a girl isn’t all bad, plus you gain superpowers to boot. Didn’t you ever dream of having superpowers?”

“Well, yeah, I dreamed of having superpowers in my life, who doesn’t?” I had dreamed of having superpowers but I was still a guy in those dreams.

“What I am saying is try to look on the bright side. Also, the faster you chose a new name the faster you can eat. Pick a first and last name middle is optional.” She had a look of extreme annoyance on her face. She was the warrant officer of this place, after all, so she had to be a very busy girl. I still could not believe they gave it to someone of her age. Maybe it was because she was in the same position as us, she would know where we were coming from. I have always been a big supporter of lead by example.

I did notice I was hungry but, so very hungry. It was as if I was trapped in the desert for months with no food or water. So I thought for a moment what would be a good name, for a... girl, for me. I wanted to keep the first letter in my first and last name so I though it over and decided on Rachael. Thinking of last names with the letter H took some time. I finally settled on Hawkins. I even threw in a middle name of Ann in there, as it rhymed well.

“Rachael Ann Hawkins. So call me Rachael Hawkins, I guess”. I was not very happy at having to change my name, and to a girl name at that. But there was no way I could think on an empty stomach. Unfortunately for me, Kris decided to start actually calling me my new name. I guess I would have to get used to being a Rachael now.

“Rachael Ann Hawkins, that's a very lovely name for a very lovely girl.” I think she was enjoying messing with me. I just kept glaring at her.

We left and got into a jeep that would drive us to the main facility and school. Besides the soldier driving the jeep it was just Kris, that girl, Liz and me. They were talking about my powers; they believed I was a Cryokinetic, and Electrokinetic as I apparently showed these two powers. They told me it was strange to have more than one power but not unheard of. The reason I was in that isolated concrete cell was because my powers were thought to be dangerous.

I asked permission to try to test my power on a rock outside the vehicle. Thankful kris agreed. I really wanted to use my superpowers. I tried to get the feeling of freezing last night but nothing. Then I tried zapping the rock and even had Kris teach me how she uses her powers, still nothing.

“That’s strange. I was sure you exhibited Cryokinetic and Electrokinetic abilities last night. I wonder why you can’t use those powers anymore.”.

“It beats me.” I started to cry again. So I changed gender and I don’t even get a superpower. Life was just so unfair. One minute you have everything you could ever want the next it all disappears.”

Liz took my hand in hers, to comfort me. Then things got strange. I felt that cold feeling again absorb into me through my hand. But this time it was kind of hot also. Like this mix of cold and hot energy was flowing into me. It felt strange, yet, intoxicating.

I looked up into Liz’s eyes her face was becoming pale, like energy was draining out of her. I quickly released her hands. The next moment she fainted and with how my LUCK was going we hit a rock. The jeep practically jumped. If she was still conscious she could have positioned herself correctly but with how things were she slipped through her seatbelt and landed on a rock, head first.

She was bleeding all over, and it looked like she had broken a arm, as well as a few ribs. Suffice to say Kris was horrified she ordered the man driving the Jeep to stop and call for help. After that she was practically running out to Liz.

“Shit! Liz, Liz stay with me, help will be here soon”. Then she yelled at me. “What did you do to her? What did you do to Liz?

I started crying again, damn must be those female hormones. Honestly I had no idea what I had done to her. It was as if I sucked energy out of her, as I was now energetic and full of energy. But I felt so bad, I honestly did not know what I did, and I wanted to make everything better. I really liked Liz she was very kind to me in the car ride, and I would hate to think that I hurt someone as pure hearted as Liz.

I rushed forward prepared to do anything I could to help. First we need to stop the bleeding. Unfortunately, I was only wearing a hospital gown and men’s boxers. The boxers were big but they were the only cover I had right now for my new female part. I don’t know why but I get the impulse to try to stop the bleeding with my hands.
Kris tried to keep me back though sending lightning bolts at me. My luck was finally looking up though, because she was so unsettled that she could not get her aim right. Soccer had taught me how to dive and weave my way around obstacles, to think on my feet. With Kris in a frenzy, it was easy to avoid. Some of the lightening did graze me though. It was like she was trying to taser me. I finally got to Liz and quickly put my hands down on impulse to stop the bleeding.

In my mind of course I knew how unethical it was to put your hands near an open wound if they were not sterilized and gloved. But as I said, I acted on impulse, some force in my mind told me this was the right thing to do. To my shock I felt energy now flow out of me, and to my delight saw that it was healing her.
I was still acting on impulse here though, as I kept moving my hands to different places that seemed to be hurt. It’s like I knew how to use this power of healing to its maximum potential, and I had never used it before. To say the least, I was shocked; Kris was also stunned. I watched as I healed her, bit by bit, until she was at full health. I could feel the bones reform and fit back into place, the skin healing, it was so powerful and overwhelming. I saw Liz sigh in relief when I was done. She was still unconscious but at least her life was no longer in danger. I relaxed the sensation and pulled back my hands.

Kris was now was looking at me with another kind of shock.

“Rachael, how is it you are able to use Liz's power? She is a Reikikinetic, which means she can heal people.”

First I gave Kris a glare. I still hated that she insisted on calling me by my new female name.

"Calm down, Rachael, don’t do anything you are going to regret." Uhg. I can’t believe I just thought of myself as Rachael just then. I hit myself in the head for that one. I was still mad so I just ignored Kris; after all, she sent electricity at me. I really did not feel like being hit by a taser. Though I know if she used more of her powers she could have killed me.

After a team of troops came to take Liz to the main facility, Kris came up and stopped me again. “I am sorry I shot lighting at you, Rachael, it’s just that Liz is like my baby. I would kill to protect her. It’s no excuse though and I will need to work harder as warrant officer to keep my emotions in control. Rachael, as Warrant officer I need to know what you did just then, though.”

“I don’t know, it was the same as when I touched that guy named Frosty, or you. I felt this cold energy just flow into me, as if I was absorbing something. With Liz, I felt the cold energy but later it got hot”. It almost felt like... like I was pulling too much energy from her.

“Damn! I think the hot energy means I am taking too much energy, or power, whatever it is. Then, somehow, I knew I could help Liz and I knew I had to. The strangest part though, was I felt like I was able to use her power at what felt like its maximum potential.”

I started crying again. “I am really sorry, Kris, I did not mean to hurt Liz. It was all an accident”.

It really was; how was I supposed to know I would be able to copy others powers, and use them at their maximum potential temporarily? All it took was one of my hands touching an emergent and, voila, I could use their powers. Worst of all, if my hands touch them for an extended period of time, I really hurt them. I really did not want to hurt others. I started crying again. “It was an accident, I’m sorry!” I felt really bad and could not stop crying.

“Rachael, it’s going to be O.K. The center is here to help you thorough this. Thank you for saving Liz. Don’t feel so bad, you did save Liz by healing her and you had no idea this was going to happen, you had all the right intentions.”

Kris hugged me and it felt so comforting for some reason, and I just cried it all out. All the shit that happened to me, everything. Strangely enough my cry session made me feel a whole lot better when I was done.
Me and Kris got up and just looked at each other for a minute. After that Kris broke the silence saying what was ultimately on my mind.

“Rachael, you’re the first person I have seen with the ability to copy other emergent's powers. You’ve got a really cool power. Your power is MIMICRY! You’re a MIMIC!”

up
194 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Posted

I wanted to get this one up as soon as possible, because of it being one of the good parts of the story. I have not gotten it edited by someone else YET, but I did take allot of time and reviewed it about five times reading over it to get as many mistakes as possible. I also learned allot from last time so I hope you notice the improvement.

For those who guessed Ryan now Rachael's power was being a mimic you are correct. I thought it would be a really interesting power to use for a story.

Also I plan to introduce some new characters soon. One of them being Rachael's new roommate.

Looking lots better!

Blackout,
Looks a lot better, still need to look at punctuation inside quotes; they are my arch-enemies and still try to get me, too :P
Otherwise, great story!
Hugs
Diana

The website

Enemyoffun's picture

The website is for canon characters and stories can only be added into canon when they're finished and on Lilith's approval.

EOF

sorry

I did not know
fish0029

That's Ok :)

Enemyoffun's picture

No Problem :)

Most likely Not

She is not violent by nature.Though perhaps accident prone. It was a freak accident but because she was able to use Liz's power to its maximum potential she was able to completely heal Liz.

Sylar

Aine Sabine's picture

He permanently takes the power. So he keeps all he gets. Rachel has to touch each person each time. But it makes you wonder, as Kris has touched her a couple times since then and hasn't passed her ability.
Good story so far!

Wil

Aine

Intresting story

Renee_Heart2's picture

I look foward to reading more of this story as long as it dosen't get to weard. I'll read a few chapters & see what comes of this story & what happned To Ryan's GF? no mention of ahat happned to her I think considering her mom died in the same way his did... She may have gone through the same thing. Maybe chapter 3 will calrify things.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Don't Worry

The story will not get weird, i don't like it when a story gets strange. I do have a plan of the events and how they will occur for the story. I want the story to be more about thrills, cliff hangers, surprises (suspense), romance, action, cool powers, and the typical superhero who has obstacles in life as well as from a very evil organization (good versus evil). Lets just say I will make sure the story is interesting but does not become weird (although weird is a matter of opinion).

As for Mattie I have the idea planed out for her side of the story. It will either be part 3 or 4. Yes, Mattie will become a boy. I planed that out from the very start, and have a new name for Mattie when her change does happened. Though I will say that her change won't happen till much later in the story.

The creativity for the story is all there planed out and all everything to make the story hopefully very interesting and entertaining.

The biggest weakness and concern I have for the story is the writing. My grammar is not the best and I do make spelling mistakes. Geekydee is helping with this.

The Center: Tester - Part 2

Could Rachael also be an energy absorber?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Power and energy

They go hand in hand, Rachael is literally taking a piece of someone else's power through energy. They are not different powers but one and the same. After all power depletes energy.

A good story overall

I have no complains about your writing, but I think you are using capital letters for emphasis too much. They scream out, and using italics or bold text or even another font may look better.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Thanks for the advice!

For this one I went with more caps just for emphasis. The video I did caps though to differentiate it from a human speaking. Also I hope to improve my writing as I go along.

For TV...

Aine Sabine's picture

I would typically indent each line of the paragraph. You have to use more page lengthwise, but it makes it understood it's coming from non-character pov.

Wil

Aine

I totally called it

yep, I knew she was a Mimic, it was pretty obvious really :).
I will continue reading this story for now - see how it goes, it is quite interesting. I really don't like F2M stories though so that might deter me once it gets to that stage, we'll see. :)

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The Focus

The majority of the focus of the story will be on Rachael, and Mattie will remain a girl for at least some of the chapters. Don't let that the fact that she will become a guy deter you from the story.

Possibilities...

If Mattie arrives at The Center before Second Emergence, if her powerset's not likely to be too dangerous, it's possible Rachel could be nearby (possibly in the same room), which would give them a chance to 'bond' - something that would be even stronger than a conventional romantic relationship.

Given how close they were beforehand, that would be a nice compensation for all the other changes the pair will be going through; and while the protagonist would still be Rachel, there'd be the opportunity for Mattie to become a central character.

-oOo-

As far as the mimic power goes, hopefully you've got ideas on its limitations as well as limiting factors for Rachel; as obviously full power + full control = potential game breaker. And what happens if she's enveloped in a hug by several different emergents (ouch!)? :)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Romantic Bond

Enemyoffun's picture

If I'm not mistaken it might be the first romantic bond in the series :)

EOF

She needs to touch

She needs to touch emergents with her hands to be able to use their power at all and even then its only temporary. This puts her at a extreme disadvantage until she gets her hands on someone. Even though she has maximum potential of any power she mimics she is not invincible against the person she took powers from. That emergent is probably more used to using there powers and should have tricks and knowledge on skills with their power that Rachael does not. I can't say more without spoiling the story though. I just want to let you know she is not invincible even if she could use anthers power at full potential, if she was that powerful it would make for a boring story.

As for Mattie(can't say the guy name yet) and Rachael I guess it was obvious they were going to have a romantic relationship again. But I will keep the specifics about that a secret also. Again can't spoil the story.

Part 3 is finished being written

I finished writing part 3 and it should be coming out soon! It the next Rachael story by the way. Meaning part 4 will be the first one from Mattie's point of view. Part 3 gives a good lead into part 4 for Mattie's side of the story.

Mimic

That would be sooooooo cool! So, can she only mimic special powers or can she also mimic appearance I wonder?

Too cool!

Mime

Jamie Lee's picture

Both dads helping through their losses forms a bond which only happen because of such events. To bad such bonds couldn't happen without the events occurring.

It's understandable why Mattie's dad is being protective, she's the remembrance of his wife. And yet, she will not be with him much longer. The two dads will need each other again.

Ryan has sort of come to terms with what has occurred to him; her stomach told her so. They also found out their first evaluation of her powers was wrong. They will have to test her endurance with using powers she acquires from others, as she did in healing Liz.

Kris explained why the Center exists, protecting society from those with powers. Teaching the kids how to use their powers and providing an education.

That is all well and good, but all this is at the expense of the families these kids were taken from. But it's all for the greater good, right? To save the masses the individual must make sacrifices, right? It doesn't matter if a family member is so overcome with grief and commits suicide. It's for the greater good, right? Was it for the greater good that one kid was so distraught that he used Kris to suicide?

Sixteen year old's are on the boarder between being a kid and a young adult, and they need a stable platform to spring from into adulthood. These kids are ripped from these families, forced to change genders because of something which happened in the past, then have to deal with powers that go beyond trying to get to first base in their old lives.

How far can "for the good of society" be taken before everything comes under the thumb of, for the good of society?

Others have feelings too.