I Watch From the Shadows

Printer-friendly version
I watch from the shadows.
by Maeryn Lamonte
Melanie Ezell's Big Closet Ultimate Writer's Challenge — 26th Feb — The Uncomfortable Truth

-oOo-

I watch from the shadows as someone pretending to be me lives the life other people think I should.

I stay in the darkness where none can see me. I dread the disapproval, the disgust, all that tells me that I am wrong, that I should never have been.

I hide here, too ashamed to show my real self, too unsure that, should I embrace the me I so want to be, I would become someone even I could not respect.

Why am I different?

What am I?

I look in the mirror, as I have so many times, and a sad old man looks back. I have the shape of a man. I am hairy like a man. My brows are thick, my lips thin and pale, my chest is flat, my belly round and between my legs… I am a man.

So why, when I had lived less than a decade and a half, did I choose to put on my mother’s skirt? What man would do that just because he was bored? What man would feel that quickening pulse, that flood of ice cold adrenaline, just from wearing a piece of cloth which allowed my legs to emerge from one hole in the bottom instead of two?

A man feels excitement from the chase, from the fight, from being part of the crowd. The only chase I have ever been in was when I was running from a fight, the only fight when I didn’t run fast enough. And although I have often been in a crowd, I have always felt alone.

Am I a man?

I remember dressing being like a drug, always wanting a new fix and always wanting more. Soon just a skirt wasn’t enough; I needed a slip, a bra, a blouse, a dress, tights, shoes, even makeup. I needed to be more completely dressed, and then when I’d achieved that, it was not enough to be locked in a bathroom, hidden from disapproving eyes. I needed to wander around the house, then outside in the garden, then across the field.

It felt so good to be dressed; the grass really was greener. It became more than a rush of hormones and a release of tension, but brought with it the first stirrings between my legs. I was so naíve, I didn’t know at first what was happening. What was that sticky substance with the sickly sweet smell? Could it be, could I dare to hope that it was that which made me a man leaving my body? I longed for that transformation, but it never came. Instead I learned that it was one more conformation of the physical maleness in me.

It became even more like a drug. When I was dressed I was high, but never so much as I had been the previous time. When I was drab, I craved the next time my parents would leave me alone for the night and I could indulge my secret passion. And when that moment came and went, I would be left with such a sense of guilt.

What I was doing was wrong; I learned that when my mother caught me one day. At first I thought I might escape unnoticed. I was only wearing a skirt and tights and sitting with my legs under a table, but my guilty expression was enough of a clue and she saw. She couldn’t face it; she turned away with a look of shock, of disgust. She never spoke of it afterwards, but I had seen enough. It was wrong, and I had seen how wrong in the lines of her face, seen how little she understood — just as I didn’t understand — how little she could bring herself to accept.

I couldn’t stop. I tried, but the longer I held off, the greater the aching need became until eventually I would give in and find some way to change, to pretend I could be beautiful. Then even as the relief of the change washed over me, the guilt would rise and I would feel even more wretched than before.

The woman in me remains, waiting impatiently just below the surface and pleading for release. I resist still and only rarely allowed myself to take advantage of the opportunities to dress and become her on the surface. Even this has become less fulfilling as the years have turned my body into an ugly, bloated caricature of my younger self. I can no longer pretend I am attractive and the clothes mock me for what I have become.

I seek refuge in my imagination and stories of impossible things. Magic and science and miracles lead me to a place in my mind where for a while I can believe that things are otherwise. There is no place for me as I truly am in this world so I will pretend. As much as I have to be here I will pretend to be what you expect me to be, but when I can I will seek out the place in my mind where I can be… me.

up
179 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Feels real

Very well written, I love your way of getting into your protagonists' minds and letting us know what they think and how they tick, and not just in this story either.

Noticed this story and your earlier challenge stories lack the tag for it.
There's a tag for Rasufelle's Ultimate Writer's Challenge under the contest category, IIRC, that you might want to add.

I Watch From the Shadows

I wonder how many out there can identify with this posting.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Refuge...

Andrea Lena's picture

...My mom used to tell me that it was a gift to be able to read, since I could go anywhere I wanted to. Writing does that for me as well. This is too painfully close to home, and a welcomed addition to my favorites; I'm glad and sad at the same time that I'm not alone. Thank you for this blessing, dear heart!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Very very sad...

And yet exactly what the challenge called for.

I worked this particular challenge, as well as a few others in the list, in so that some of the less-often touched elements of what it means to be TG could be represented. The site is filled with happy, romantic stories of people who have gained their dreams, of science fiction and fantasy, of wishes fulfilled. However, for every one TG person in the world who truly obtains happiness, how many of us are there who have no choice but to live day to day with the weight of our pain, and no real way to ease it?

It is not a happy outlook by any means, nor is it one I care to read a lot. However, it is just as important for these stories to be shared as it is to share the ones of joy and understanding. After all, with only a slightly different situation, this could be any one of us.

For too many of us it is a reality. And the fact that cultures and even modern society still permit this kind of pain and suffering, or even find it preferable to the individual finding happiness, is unacceptable.

Melanie E.

Maeryn, this is a startling

Maeryn, this is a startling discovery that came up on my scree as a 'random solo' and so I read your work. I have rarely found something that gets inside my life story so coincidentally - what you write, I could have written myself as an expression of the way dressing crept up on me and became an integral part of my life, years ago. I, too, can no longer think of myself as beautiful - though I once fooled myself that I could have been...... So, like 'Drea, I find escape in my writing as well as reading stories here.

Thank you for yuor honesty.

Big hugz, Ginger

My Dream; My Nightmare

Aljan Darkmoon's picture

I couldn’t stop. I tried, but the longer I held off, the greater the aching need became until eventually I would give in and find some way to change, to pretend I could be beautiful.

That’s my fantasy, too. However, no matter how many shoes I put in my big closet...........

The woman in me remains, waiting impatiently just below the surface and pleading for release. I resist still and only rarely allowed myself to take advantage of the opportunities to dress and become her on the surface. Even this has become less fulfilling as the years have turned my body into an ugly, bloated caricature of my younger self. I can no longer pretend I am attractive and the clothes mock me for what I have become.

I never could pretend...

Me in a tutu:
(If You Could See Her Through My Eyes
from Cabaret)
 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEhHeILa3HE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiZYVWqTNVM