Shell Shocked!

Printer-friendly version

Author: 

Audience Rating: 

Publication: 

Genre: 

Character Age: 

Permission: 

Shell Shocked!

By

Samantha Michelle Davies(SamanthaMD)

The arrival of a heavy thunderstorm produced a lull in the almost relentless bombardment from the Enemy positions less than half a mile away.

High Explosive & Very high static in the Atmosphere didn’t go well together. For an early September day in 1916 in the Western Front, and after a very dry period where the fields had turned from mud to dust the clear atmosphere was a welcome relief.

In a dugout, the Regimental Sgt Major of the 1st Battalion the East Suffolks was reviewing fitness (or otherwise) the ‘other ranks’ who were in the trenches with him. After two months on the front line and in no small thanks to the German Guns, their strength was now down to 40% of their deployment compliment.

He smiled when he read a signal that had been arrived by messenger from Battalion HQ. Twenty replacements were arriving that evening. Most were those who had received minor wounds in their time at the Front and were now deemed fit to return to duty.
He scanned the names and pleasure turned to sadness and he shook his head when he read some of the names. Despite official refusal to recognise ‘Shell Shock’, he knew that almost half of those returning were suffering from at least a mild form of it. He pitied the men. He was a career soldier, a veteran of the Boer War & Mafeking but this endless heavy bombardment was even getting to him.

His thoughts were broken but a knock on the ill fitting door to his quarters.
He looked up to see on of his Sergeants standing outside.
“Come on in”

The NCO came in and saluted.
“Sergeant Reynolds reporting Sir”
The NCO was one of few other remaining career NCO’s left alive.
“Sit down Frank”

The RSM was not one for ceremony when Officers were not around.
“The men have got clean Sir”
“Thanks Frank”
“That was a good idea to strip off and let the rain wash the dirt off”
“Don’t thank me. Thank my RSM from Mafeking for that idea”

“Any resistance?” he added.
Stripping naked was not something that came naturally to the English.

There was a distinct pause before Frank answered.
“Yes there was sir. Private Negus refused point black to remove his uniform”
“Negus eh?”
“Yes”
“Wasn’t he one of the last lot to come back from R&R in Blighty last week?”
“Yes Sir”

“What reason did he give?”
“He said it wasn’t Christian to be naked in front of other men”
Both men laughed.
“Is he outside?”
“Yes Sir. I put him on report”

With a sigh, the RSM said.
“I suppose we have no choice. Better bring him in”

The Sergeant rose to his feet and sent to the door. He called the Private who was standing outside into the small 6ft by 8ft underground room that served as both a bunk house for the RSM and his office.

The smallish, slightly build soldier came into the room and saluted properly.

“Private Negus reporting as ordered” he said in a soft voice.

“Negus, I understand that you have objected to my direct orders to use the rain to get clean?”
“Sir, it is not Christian to be naked in the presence of other men. I am not like Oscar Wilde. Sir!”
The mention of the literary genius who had served time in Reading Goal for his sexuality brought a smile to the RSM. By rights, he could have the Private up on a charge of Gross Insubordination. It was luck that it was his order and not an Officers otherwise the charge would be mutiny which would lead to a Courts Marshall and swiftly to the Firing Squad.
“Now Negus, that was not my intent. Most of the men in the line with you have been here for months. The recent try weather has made them very dirty and what with water deliveries being very infrequent, the decision by God to let it rain right on top of us for an hour is in my thinking, very Christian”
The Private didn’t say anything.

The RSM was all the time looking hard at the private. Something didn’t quite fit.
“Private, I am going to give you a direct order. Strip off your clothes”

The private didn’t move.

“Private, the RSM gave you a direct order” Said the Sergeant.
The private didn’t move.

“Private!” he said more urgently.

Reluctantly, the private began to remove his uniform.

It didn’t take long for the RSM to see why there had been some much reluctance to strip.

The bindings around an obvious pair of breasts clearly gave the game away.
The RSM called a halt.
“Stop right there”
The ‘Private’ stopped.

“Just exactly who are you?”
“Negus Sir” came the soft voice.
The RSM smiled.
“His twin Sister no doubt?”

After a few seconds, he/she nodded.
“Where is the real Private?”
Again there was a pause.
“Working in the Aircraft Factory. Gluing the wings of SE5’s”
“Why?”

“Shell shock sir. He just couldn’t face returning to the Front. So, I came in his place. He took mine in the factory”

The RSM thought for a few moments. There was nothing in the Army Manual to cover this situation. By all rights, he should charge the young lady with something but he was not quote sure what and again by rights, he should send the Mp’s to arrest her brother.
But, for some reason, he decided not to. After all, he needed every body he could muster on the front line. He knew that there was yet another big push coming in a week or so. And, the AWOL brother was at least doing something towards the War effort so he decided that there was not much to be gained from exposing the whole affair.

“Put your clothes on Private”
The Sergeant looked at the RSM aghast in disbelief.
The RSM looked at his NCO.
“What you have seen didn’t happen. Did it Sergeant?”
The NCO was about to say something but thought better of it.
“Yes Sir. Nothing happened”

By now, the Private was dressed once more.
“Look Son, your secret is safe with use but for God’s sake, don’t ‘take one’ before we get relieved. This is not scheduled to happen for another month and we have a ‘push’ in a week or so. If you need to use the toilet, you can use mine in private.”

“Dismissed” said the RSM.
The private Saluted, turned on his heel and left the two NCO’s alone.

Less than 5 seconds later the German bombardment began again.
The first shell landed smack on the entrance to the dugout killing everyone inside. Private Negus was blown into little pieces.

The secret of the Real Private Negus was safe.

[Authors note]

This story was conceived during a visit to Ypres & Thiepeval(Somme) in early 2009. I wrote it on the Ferry from Dunkirk to Dover(2hrs).

Four of my Great-Great Uncles names are lited amongst the dead at the Menin gate and Tyne-cot. They all originate from East Suffolk.

up
223 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Death Does Not Discriminate

littlerocksilver's picture

How unfortunate. Sad. That's all I can say,

Question, just a matter of curiosity from a retired career officer USAF: Do lower ranked enlisted personnel salute higher ranked enlisted personnel in the British Army? It's not done in the U.S. military except for early training practice.

Portia

Portia

Saluting

Remember that this story is set in WW1. Then they did salute unless they were under fire.
Well, that was what my Grandfather told me many years ago. Mind you, he didn't serve very long in WW1. He was captured in 1915 and spent the next 3.5years in a Salt Mine as a POW.
Nowadays, well, I don't know. I served as a civilian in the British Army of the Rhine in 1978. Saluting was at a minimum except when the RSM was around. When we were on exercise, doing the job was more important than saluting.

The yanks gave their lives, the British gave their very souls

Both WWI and WWII were bloody awful affairs, and I am told that both can be put down to family hatred. There were lots of very underage soldiers there, and I expect that women snuck in too, though for what I can not imagine. Feminisim had not yet fully festered.

Nice story.

Khadijah

I can agree with you about WWI...

Andrea Lena's picture

...but the Holocaust and the Rape of Nanking both demonstrate that WWII was all about the arrogance and cruelty and bigotry of two empires. Gays and other 'impure' strains of humanity were targeted for genocide along with the Jews and Chinese.

We have the sacrifice of those who died as a seal on the absolute truth that all people deserve to live free and free of fear. I am so thankful for the service of the Greatest Generation, as well as those here who visit this site who have served or continue to serve in defense of freedom around the world. Thanks to them and thank you, Samantha, for this great story.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Rememberance

Andrea,
Thanks for the kind words about my story. I agree with what you say.

I challenge anyone who does not understand where the terms 'Cannon Fodder' or 'Over the Top' and others come from to goto Ypres on a cold wet night in December at 8pm and visit the Menin Gate. This huge memorial contains the names of thousands on men mant of whom the terms Cannon Fodder or Over the top would apply to how they died in WWi. Then listen to the Last Post being played by the local Firemen. If you are not moved by this experience then you must be from the planet Zog.
If you search out some of the Somme Memorials you will see the names of some women on the graves. These are not Nurses. These are the women who died possibly like I have portrayed in my story. I cried when I found out the history. That and the fact that I lost so many relatives(four at Ypres,three more at Jutland who have no grave and one at Gallipolli) in WW1 are the reasone why I wrote this story.

Saluting higher ranks

I believe in the Aussie Army,
O.R's other ranks (soldiers, corporals, sergeants, sergeant majors) only salute all Officers and the RSM- Regimental Sergeant Major.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Paths of Glory

laika's picture

Heavy. A great story, sometimes short really is better. I wonder how the "sister" will take the news,
what kind of guilt she must be feeling, how much actual transgender sensibility is involved,
and where her life will be going from here. That could be a story unto itself...
~~hugs, Veronica

.
The closest approximation to what it's like in my brain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u08E7c-FRbU&t=4s

The other twin

There's an obvious opening here for a matching story covering the other twin's experiences. There is the possible benefit that it would be a longer story and might even have a not-so-unhappy ending.

Penny

Mulan-ish with a tragic

Mulan-ish with a tragic ending.

CaroL

CaroL

Shell Shocked!

My concern is that the private might need the services of a gynecologist while out there.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Maybe!

Stan meant findacologist?

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Shell Shocked

Good story with a very sad ending KUDOS for writing it THANKS SAM MD--HUGS TO ALL RICHIE2

A really interesting story

A really interesting story with a very sad twist of an ending. My salute to you and your family for your four Great-Great Uncles for their service and sacrifices; and to all the others who fought and died in the "war to end all wars". It is so sad that that did not happen, as we have all seen the other wars that have followed.

"Cowardice"????

joannebarbarella's picture

In the First War in the British Army, so-called cowardice was a capital offence; never mind that the "coward" might have taken part in numerous charges under fire and sat in a soaking rat-infested trench for months on end with shells incessantly raining down on him.

None of us could ever understand the horrors of that war. My maternal grandfather's regiment went to war and sixteen came back. My grandfather wasn't one of them.

A powerful and wonderfully perceptive little piece Samantha,

Joanne

I wonder just how many young people

tried to get way with this type of deception before safeguards were put in place; like physical exams? Interesting story though, thank you for sharing.

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Physical Exams

I'm not sure that would have actually worked in the case of "not dissimilar" twins. After all, the boy twin could have done the signing-up and all the exams and so on, and then the two just swap on the final leave before departing for the front, or even beforehand if the chance presents itself.

Penny

Shell Shocked

Outstanding story, not only for the setting and characters, but also for the humanity displayed. Neither can one overlook the horror which runs thru the whole story. If the Kudos button would work, I'd push it multiple times for this story.

GinNC

Not True!

There was no one left to tell this story!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Second thoughts

When I first read this story, the ending just took the wind out of my sails. Having read it the second time, I now see the courage in Privat Negus as well as the amazing understanding of the situation by the Private's RSM. Unfortunately, war is hell, and so was the ending. I now like this story very much!

GeenaGurl in MA

GeenaGurl in MA

No Greater Love

No greater love, has anyone than this: to lay down their life for another,” DP translation of John 15:13.

I find the suggestion by another commenter that one group of soldiers that were killed in WW1 sacrificed more than another group of soldiers that were also killed to be repugnant in the extreme. Quite aside from the very questionable existence of a "soul", I put forward they all made the greatest contribution they could. They gave up their lives for their fellow man.

I won't touch on the number of deaths for each army, nor the number of Yanks that went to Canada so they could enlist in the Canadian Army and fight alongside their fellow man. The point is they went, they fought, and they died. Their deaths meant as much as did the death of the soldier next to them; be that other soldier French, British, Canadian, a woman in disguise, or another American.

As it has been succinctly phrased, "War Is Hell". Death is equal opportunity, it takes men, women, and soldiers, no matter what.

Personal Note: when we lived in Belgium my father, a WW2 USN Lt. Commander, saw to it that we visited every wartime cemetary we could. Later we also visited the camps that killed so many innocent men, women, and children. All these places wore a shroud of dignity. Later I visited Arlington National Cemetery, where one of my older brothers is buried. I defy anybody to not be moved by this.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Saluting

As a long serving soldier in the British Army my basic training taught me that only commissioned officers (i.e. those holding the Sovereign's Commission) are saluted by all Other Ranks (i.e. those from Private to Warrant Officer Class 1, the latter being the rank held by an RSM). However, in the field whether on exercise or operations, officers were NOT saluted as that enabled the enemy to identify the leaders of their opposing force. This was especially so in WW1 trench warfare and the use of snipers.

Brit