Whose Irish Eyes Be Smiling? 1

Printer-friendly version

Whose Irish Eyes Be Smiling?

by

Anam Chara


Cousins Sean and Kelly are as close to one another as they are to their siblings. Yet as close as they all are, their outlooks, interests, and aspirations have diverged while growing up—until destiny binds them together again.

I

When Irish eyes are smiling,
sure ’tis like a morn in spring…

—Chauncey Olcott & George Graff, Jr.

* * *

Sean missed the alarm clock with his first attempt, knocking over the glass of water on his nightstand. The irritating beep seemed to increase both in speed and volume until he located the snooze button. Indeed, the frequency and amplitude of the electronic sound had remained constant, but the subjective experience of it had not. Sean was wishing that he had taken his shift in the afternoon when he had the chance, instead of this one in the morning.

Rolling over and upright into a sitting position, Sean read the display on his clock, “6:02” with an icon of Mr. Sun smiling mockingly at him. He stumbled his way into the bathroom, immediately grabbing electric toothbrush and dentifrice to begin clearing away the aftertaste of nocturnal bacterial warfare from his mouth. Having loaded the bristles with toothpaste in spumoni-striped colors, he pressed the switch on his dentist-approved electric toothbrush and engaged his morning skirmish against the microbial insurgents assaulting his sense of personal comfort. Two minutes later, the toothbrush powered down, as it were, of its own volition, so then he turned his attention to the bottle of mouthwash on the counter of the bathroom sink. Now attentive to another agent of chemical warfare, he poured some into a glass preparing to counterassault his hidden microbial enemies. Sean proceeded to rinse fore and flank within his mouth and gargle deep into enemy territory until he could endure the metallic-sweet liquid no more.

Next, he shed his pyjamas and entered the shower, sliding the plexiglass door closed. The battle against the external bacteria, the precision maneuvers of soaping up, lathering, and rinsing off, Sean had reduced to less than five minutes of his morning ritual. The shower accomplished, he grabbed a towel as he heard the snooze alarm beeping.

Back in his bedroom, his clock glared “6:12.” This time he properly stopped the beeping until the alarm would be triggered the next day.

Sean grabbed a pair of boxer shorts from his dresser drawer and quickly pulled them on and then an undershirt and athletic socks. Fortunately, he felt, he could make due with casual wear at this job, so he chose one his favorite lumberjack-style plaid flannel shirts to wear for the day. His day’s ensemble would be completed with a simple pair of blue jeans. All that remained was to slip on his walking shoes and tie the laces securely.

The shoes that Sean wore today cost more than the total of everything else he was wearing. But he was okay with that. He either stood or walked around for hours each day, so he counted every penny spent on comfortable, supportive footwear as worth the cost. If he had to economize, he would buy less expensive shirts or trousers, but in his mind, trying save by buying cheap footwear was not worth the risk.

The clock now displayed “6:21” as he put wallet and keys into their accustomed pockets and secured the supple leather case for his smartphone on his belt and his tiny music player in his right shirt pocket. He put a leather writing pad and a matched pen and mechanical pencil in the left pocket. On the way out he grabbed his windbreaker within easy reach from a coathook next to his apartment door. As he exited, he donned the windbreaker and locked the door. Scampering down the two flights of stairs to the lobby, Sean inserted a pair of tiny earphones into his ears and touched the button for the music to begin “Orinoco Flow” by Enya.

Sean had kept his musical preferences mostly to himself. Only his family knew about his liking for Enya, Celtic Woman, and the Twelve Girls Band. Beyond his family, he had told almost everyone else that he preferred classical music but tended to somewhat eclectic tastes in the more popular genres. His collection of compact discs for these was indeed a well-balanced mix and sometimes he could take amusement in visitors to his apartment guessing his preferences from his rack of popular music. His classical CDs, though, were kept in a cabinet under his stereo system unknown to all but his closest friends and family. A few favorite recordings of jazz, folk, New Age, and world music were also kept there.

From the lobby to the sidewalk were only three steps down. Sean regarded himself as fortunate to work at the coffeeshop Café Tír na n-Óg on the next block, which he entered promptly at 6:28 to punch in and begin his workday. Also, his boss would usually allow him to have a pastry and fresh coffee on the clock, just so long as he did not eat in front of the customers. However, she encourage them to sip whatever beverage they chose, so long as they did so from a container bearing the shop logo.

“Good morning, Sean,” Sandra greeted him.

“G’mornin’, Sandra. Feelin’ better today?”

“Much!” she replied, smiling back at him. “Thanks for asking. I think it was just a bad dinner the night before.”

Sean knew better, but he would not call her bluff on so innocuous a fib. Sandra was a genuinely lovely person and always tried to endure that time of the month with grace and a smile, even though the physical pain from her abdominal cramps was at times excruciating. But she wouldn’t complain about it. Nor did she seem so irritable as other women are more often than not. Her signs were apparently much more physical and less emotional than most other girls, whose moods often varied from slightly touchy to extremely hypersensitive. Sandra was a different sort of woman.

Sean punched in for the morning and pulled on his full-length apron to protect his clothes. Then he poured himself a cup of black coffee and took a plain croissant for breakfast.

Then Debbie, another barista, grinned at Sean as she threaded her brunette ponytail through the back of her cap. She advanced to begin her daily teasing of him.

“You really need to try one of the sweetly filled ones,” she flirted with him in her slight Southern drawl, her carefully groomed eyelashes strobing her baby-blue eyes.

“Nothin’ in that pastry case is so sweet as a Georgia peach like you!”

“Oh my!” Debbie replied, slowly licking some strawberry cream cheese from her index finger, coyly making a show of her tongue. Then she drawled, “You do know how to flatter a girl!”

Sean didn’t mind her light-hearted flirting with him. But he also didn’t feel that she were right for him. He was an Irish Roman Catholic and she was a firm Southern Baptist. He just didn’t feel comfortable dating outside the Church. Still, it was nice to be liked and it didn’t hurt him to respond kindly to her. It kept the game at a friendly level so that no one got hurt.

The morning rush would begin within the next fifteen minutes and all hands were needed above deck. Sandra was the shift supervisor and Debbie had already come in earlier to help her open. But Kelly, his cousin, was not there yet, which was unusual for her. If anything, she was punctual to the point of annoyance, almost always ten to fifteen minutes early. Indeed, Sean couldn’t remember her ever being tardy for anything.

Customers began to file in a few minutes earlier than expected. It became hectic, especially as one worker was missing.

“Sean, there’s no sign of Kelly, yet,” Sandra said, her concern showing on her face and in her voice. “I just tried her cell an’ it was turned off. I know you’re cousins, so I wondered if you could call her home when the customer traffic slows down a bit?”

“Sure, Sandra,” he acknowledged her request. “I’ve never known her to come late to anything, not even when we were little kids. It’s not like her at all.”

“Before today, her work record has been spotless,” Sandra confirmed. “To tell you the truth, I’m worried for her. This just doesn’t feel right!”

Kelly’s absence worried Sean perhaps even more than it did Sandra, who had only known her a few months. But he knew his cousin very well and punctuality was almost a passion with her. Her father had always insisted that time were money, so Kelly had reasoned that tardiness was akin to theft. She’d no more keep anyone waiting than she’d lift someone’s wallet or purse.

* * *

For a moment no new customers came in so Sean took the time to call his Aunt Kathleen’s home. There was no answer there, so he left a message and called his aunt’s cellphone. It had also been turned off.

“Sandra, I don’t like this,” he said. “Me aunt’s cellphone isn’t on, either.”

“Is that unusual for her, too?” Sandra asked me.

“Aunt Kathleen never turns hers off, unless—Oh no!” Sean exclaimed.

“Unless what?”

“Unless she’s somewhere that it has to be turned off. I’m callin’ Mike now!”

Mike was Kelly’s older brother and another of Sean’s cousins. Sean had Mike’s number on his speed dial and he called immediately.

“Hello, Mike FitzPatrick here…,” he answered.

“Mike, this is Sean. Kelly didn’ show for her shif’. Anything wrong?”

“Accident. Mom called me on the way to Sain’ Bonnie’s.”

“Is it serious?”

“Don’t know. On me way there now…”

“Thanks, Mike. Keep me posted.”

“Y’got it. Bye!…”

“G’bye!…” Sean signed-off the call. “Sandra, she’s been in an accident. Aunt Kathleen’s already there an’ her brother’s on the way, too.”

“How is she?” Sandra asked worriedly, a frightened look across her face. Debbie also looked to me, her eyes pleading for news.

“We don’ know just yet. Mike’ll call when he knows more.”

“Where is she?”

“At Sain’ Bonaventure’s. Prob’ly ’n E-R.”

“Thanks for checking. Can you and Debbie handle things while I call in reinforcements?”

“I’m okay here,” Debbie answered.

“We’ll be all right for now,” Sean assured Sandra. With that she stepped into the office to call in another barista to take Kelly’s shift for the day.

* * *

Everyone in the small coffeeshop was anxious about what might have happened to their colleague. Kelly was loved by all of them and they felt glum that her smiling, lightly freckled face and luxuriously flaming long locks of auburn curls were absent. Sean’s coworkers kept glancing his way, their eyes constantly raising an unspoken request for news. Since Kelly and Sean were family, they knew he’d be informed of any news just as soon as it were available.

Kelly and Mike were very close to Sean and Morgan, his younger sister. Growing up together, the differences between siblings and cousins were effectively ignored in their family. Remarkably, Sean and Kelly were almost the same age and looked more like twins than cousins, save for the usual differences in physique due to gender.

Sean’s cellphone rang. “Hello?” he answered.

“This is Mike,” said the caller. “Kelly’s out of E-R an’ has been moved to the Critical Care Unit. She hasn’ regained consciousness yet, but at leas’ she’s stable.”

“Know what happened?” Sean asked his cousin.

“Accordin’ t’ one witness, a car had turned from an intersection down the wrong side of the street. They met head-on an’ her bicycle flipped forward, so she hit the car’s win’shiel’ head-first. Then she rolled over an’ off the car before hittin’ the street. Paramedics were quick on the scene but she’d already lost consciousness. The preliminary diagnosis was a severe concussion an’ I think a few broken bones, too.”

“Sh’ wearin’ her helmet?”

“Don’t know. But if sh’ was, it might’ve come off in the accident. That’s all I know right now. The police are still talkin’ to witnesses, I think.”

“That’s okay, Mike,” Sean assured him. “Y’ only know whatcha know. An’ that’s more than I had. When Kelly wakes up, tell her I’ll be there as soon as I’m off work. An’ she’ll wanna know Kat’s coverin’ her shift today.”

“I just hope she regains consciousness soon,” Mike said with the worry in his voice apparent to Sean.

“That’s two of us, cuz. Should I try to call Morgan then?”

“Since you’re still at work, I can do that from here. Do you know if she’d be in class now?”

“Maybe another ten or fifteen minutes, I think.”

“Okay, Cuz,” Mike acknowledged the information. “I’ll let you go an’ call her next. My mom’s already called yours, so that takes care of the family.”

“Anyone call Father Tony?”

“He was already here sayin’ Mass in the chapel when they brought her in. He’s been with Kelly since she left E-R. I’d better let you get back to work, though.”

“Thanks, Mike. G’bye!”

“Talk to ya soon,” Mike promised and ended the call.

Sean turned to Sandra who had overheard only his side of the conversation. “Kelly collided with a car goin’ the wrong way in ’er lane. Her bicycle flipped over an’ she crashed head-first into the car’s win’shiel’. They moved her from E-R to critical care, but she hasn’ regained consciousness yet. They think ’tis a severe concussion.”

“Do you need to go now?” Sandra asked him.

“I can finish out my shif’ an’ leave after lunchtime,” he answered. “In truth, I can do more for her here right now than at the hospital. She’d be furious if I lef’ my shif’ in the middle.”

Sandra smiled, picturing Kelly’s infamous Irish temper directed at Sean. “That’s fine,” she confirmed. “We don’t want her stressing out when she wakes up.”

Although she had been scheduled to come in earlier that day, Kelly’s shift usually began by mid-morning, so by ten o’clock, her regular customers were inquiring about her. So Sandra began telling them that she had given Kelly the day off without further explanation. But Sean was of two minds about that. Firstly, Kelly was a scrupulously honest young woman, who always told the truth, even to her own, often unintended, detriment. Not only would she not lie for herself, but she would not stand for anyone else to lie for her. On the other hand, Kelly’s misfortunes were not really anyone’s business but her own. Since family and coworkers needed to know, that was okay. Otherwise, his cousin deserved her privacy, he thought, although she was so outgoing, that he doubted it were really important to her. Yet, he was uncomfortable with the idea of having to deliver such bad news to her favorite customers.

“Sean,” Sandra addressed him, “I was looking at the schedule for the rest of the week. Kelly’s scheduled for the afternoons, mostly. Kat’s available for the mornings. So, until she’s able to work again, would you be willing to cover your cousin’s afternoon times and let Kat take your mornings shifts, instead? If so, that would save me a real headache. Otherwise, I might need to reschedule everyone and I’d rather not.”

He thought for a moment. Sean had mostly evening classes and he worked at the electronics store on weekends only. He liked the idea of being able to sleep-in for a few mornings. And he’d be protecting Kelly’s job. Moreover, Sandra was really nice to everyone, not just him and Kelly. Why make her do more work to rearrange schedules?

“That works for me,” Sean answered her. “Anything to help out you an’ Kelly in a pinch.”

“That’s great!” Sandra exclaimed gratefully, beaming a broad smile. “Thank you so much!”

“Just one thing, though,” he added. “I heard you tell a few customers that you gave her the day off?”

“Yes, but what are you getting at?”

“You know how honest Kelly is, right?”

“Uh-huh…”

“The only thing Kelly hates worse than anyone lyin’ to her is someone lyin’ for her. If what’s in her record doesn’t match what we’ve told the customers—well, you’ve seen her temper!”

“I’ll give her personal leave for today” Sandra promised. Then she giggled, “But she looks really cute when she gets angry.”

“Not when she’s comin’ at you!” Sean warned her. “When her green eyes flash at you with her flamin’ red hair flowin’ behind her, there’s no creature known to science nor any realm of mythology nor folklore quite so fright’nin’ as Kelly the Mad!”

“I never thought about it before,” Sandra admitted. “I’ve seen her get really mad a couple times. But I’ve never wondered what it would be like to get yelled at by her. She’s so passionate at everything she does. And creative, too. When she got angry at that jerk, she seemed to create new cusswords just for him! It was like she drew a verbal cartoon of him.”

“Then you do understand what I’m tellin’ you,” Sean confirmed. “But Kelly’s unique style of anger is as much a part of her charm as her vulnerability or any other aspect of her personality.”

* * *

As his shift ended, Sean thought yet again of his cousin in the hospital, her vulnerability now realized by an unexpected circumstance. He could only pray that she would awaken as the same Kelly they all knew and loved. This would not be easy for any of them. Kelly was one of those kind souls who brightens one’s day just by showing up. Yes, even her anger was cheerful to the outside observer. Except for the target, who must receive the fire of her rage, those around her would bask in the warmth and glow of her protection. Indeed she was passionate, yet she had learned control and restraint. As a result, she commanded, rather than obeyed, her passions.

“I just hope she’s okay,” Sandra said, trying as much to console herself as Sean. “All of her. She’s so special to us here.”

“What’s the first thing that Kelly would say to you at a time like this?”

“To stay in the here an’ now an’ not to worry about what isn’t. Livin’ here an’ now is adventure enough!

“You have a coffeeshop to run an’ I have a cousin to visit. You’ll visit her, too, when you can. Meanwhile, you can bes’ support her by goin’ about your business. Otherwise, she’ll crawl out of bed an’ come in here just to get on our cases!”

Sandra was fighting back tears as she herself prayed for her colleague and friend.

“Sean,” she said kissing him on the cheek, “thanks!”

He hugged her in return and left. Sandra had been too challenged holding back her own tears to notice Sean doing the same.

Sean had been more successful in containing his tears—until the door shut behind him.

Continuandum…

© 2011-2013, 2017 by Anam Chara. All rights reserved.

up
176 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Kelly the Mad

"Not when she's comin' at you!" Sean warned her. "When her green eyes flash at you with her flamin' red hair flowin' behind her, there's no creature known to science or in any realm of mythology or folklore quite so fright'nin' as Kelly the Mad!"
Love the description.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Irish Eyes

RAMI

No clue yet as to where we are heading, other then we have lots of sympathetic characters.

It seems as if its a good thing to be on Kelly's good side. Hopefully she will recover. But I think perhaps as is foreshadowed by the following:

"Remarkably, Sean and Kelly were almost the same age and looked more like fraternal twins than cousins, save for the usual differences in physique due to gender", that Sean will not only have to be on her good side, but for reasons unknown will have to be or fill in for her for a while.

RAMI

RAMI

re start

good start. looking forward to more. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Nice story, and it even has

Nice story, and it even has that famous Irish temper available in it that can be used. Here is hoping that Kelly has a full recovery, serious head injuries such as she has suffered can play havoc with the brain and central nervous system, and many times some of the injuries hide until something triggers them.