Somewhere Else Entirely -3-

Printer-friendly version

As the caravan travels towards Palarand the mystery woman's flashes of memory and the accompanying headaches become more frequent. After refreshing themselves at Tanon's mansion a visit to the palace reveals perplexing news.

grakh on parchment

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

3 - At Palarand


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2016 by Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The overnight sky had been clear so the early morning air was cold but not unpleasantly so. The woman was glad of her thick dress as she stood in front of the fire to get warm. Unlike the previous morning breakfast was crushed grains boiled in milk to make a kind of porridge. She was almost sick when she thought about where the milk must have come from, but then sense reasserted itself. Why not? It was a natural farmyard occurrence, after all. Her uncle kept a herd of - a shaft of pain stabbed into her brain. Ow! She staggered over to the bench and joined Merina and Silna.

"Another memory, my dear?" Merina recognized the symptoms.

"Yes, another one. About a farm..."

"You lived on a farm?" Merina raised her eyebrows and a relieved look came on Silna's face.

"No, I don't think so," the woman replied slowly. "I think I have an uncle who owns a farm... I was thinking about milk," she finished.

Silna's face fell. If this woman's relatives owned farms then she might very well be high-born.

"Oh. I think I understand," Merina said. "If there aren't any dranakhs where you come from, then the milk must have come from a different animal. Do you think you remember the shape of the animal? Could you draw it for us, perhaps?"

"I don't think so, Merina, I'm sorry. When I had that thought, then the pain came. I'm not sure I could draw much anyhow at the moment."

Merina's face remained speculative as they finished their meal and packed up ready to leave. The dranakhs appeared, backing themselves between the wagon shafts as the men mounted their frayen ready for the next part of their journey.

The road curved away from the plateau to rejoin the valley they had been following previously and it led away from the cliff back towards the mountains. But it was evident that this trend wouldn't last long, and soon a gentle curve began which dropped them steadily towards warmer regions. A pull-in at the side of the road was sufficient for them to take their morning break and then they were off again. Trees began to appear, and soon the road was bordered on both sides by open woodland.

The sky lightened ahead and the woman sensed that they were coming towards the end of the mountain part of the journey. It was difficult to determine just where the cliffs were because of the tree cover. Again the caravan halted, this time to take lunch. The trail stew had all gone and all that was left was old bread, cheese, a little meat and a quantity of dried fruit.

"Do not be too concerned, my dear," Merina told the woman. "This should be the last meal we have to take from our own supplies, which is just as well. Once we get down into the Valley we will be able to get fresh food and drink and even find somebody else to cook our meals for us."

The woman frowned. "Why would they do that?"

"Once over the canal and into Palarand proper we'll reach a major route which runs along the Great Valley. There are many stops for travelers and food is usually available at all of them."

"Oh."

As before, the awnings were put up but without side walls and the whole company apart from two lookouts took their afternoon nap. Here under the trees it was cooler and more pleasant and it was easy to drift off. After some while a familiar rumble awoke the sleepers and the caravan was made ready again for the road. Now, so close to home, there was a certain amount of anticipation.

The road burst out from the trees and they were finally in the Great Valley. They came out on a slight slope formed by material washed out of the side valley down which they had descended, which meant that she could get a clear view of her surroundings. Most was flat, inevitable given the windings of the great river. The mountains on either side of the Valley marched away in straight lines which triggered another half-remembered flash from her past, but this time she didn't try to follow it and the pain which followed was reduced.

At the bottom of the slope their road crossed another which ran along the valley, close to the southern wall. In one of the corners of the crossroads there was a pull-in and the caravan stopped for toilet breaks and more of the hot herbal drink. Everybody seemed much more relaxed now that they appeared to be in friendly country but the men still kept a careful eye out for approaching riders or wagons. Once they had refreshed themselves the caravan set off again along their original route. The road ran arrow-straight across the plain and the dranakhs seemed to pick up speed.

Soon they came to the bridge over the canal. It was wide enough for two wagons to pass and was of a substantial wooden design, well maintained. There was a drawbridge at the far end but it was lowered. A group of men stood waiting for them, all heavily armed, but as soon as Tanon was recognized most went back into the small stockade which stood at one side of the road beyond the bridge. The caravan rumbled over the bridge and stopped.

"Master Tanon!" one man called, walking towards the caravan owner. "A good trip?" He smiled. "As if you make trips which aren't good!"

"Aye, thank you," Tanon replied. He handed down a small bag to the man. "The right traders were in Moxgo so we managed to find some good bargains this trip," he added. "But we can't stop, I'm afraid. We must needs call at the palace tomorrow and then we're off to Viridor."

The man laughed. "Right you are, we shan't keep you. No problems on the mountain road?"

"Nothing that should worry you, I think," Tanon replied. "But I may change my view on that once we've been to the palace. If so you'll be told, I expect."

"Ah? Oh, well, I'll await orders, then. Off you go."

The dranakhs moved off again, this time at a more reasonable speed. The way was over flat cultivated farmland now, the fields full of ripening grains and vegetables at this time of year, soon to be harvested. The dranakhs carried on for a short distance beyond the canal and then arrived at a junction to meet a highway running along the center of the valley floor.

They pulled off in front of what was obviously a more organized rest stop. There was a large, low building beside the road and behind it a flat area where caravans and other traffic were parked. Beyond that were corrals which held dranakh and frayen. There were several other wagons there, singly and in groups, and Jaxen was careful to pick a spot away from the other travelers to circle their own wagons.

"This is where we always stop for the last night on the way home," Merina explained after they had dismounted. "We'll have a reasonable meal here, the prices are controlled within Palarand proper, not like that bandit at the top of the cliff, and the food is quite good as well."

With several of the men left to guard the wagons the rest walked towards the building, which proved to be not one but four separate blocks surrounding a square courtyard. Merina and Silna led the woman to one of the doorways which proved to be a toilet and bathing facility. The woman was pleasantly surprised at the difference from the latrines she had been using so far. The floors were smoothed wood and the walls were tiled. The toilet, however, was still a hole in the floor, even if it was of superior construction. After washing their hands and faces they went outside again to where Tanon and Jaxen were waiting.

Once everybody had returned from the rest rooms they crossed the courtyard to an open-air eating facility which consisted of tables and benches or chairs beneath canvas awnings. One side of the nearest building was open showing men and women busy preparing food for travelers. The owner recognized Tanon and Merina and came outside, cleaning his hands on a cloth, to shake hands with Tanon and enquire after his journey. Nobody mentioned their extra traveler.

Tables were chosen, Tanon, Merina, Jaxen and the woman sitting together around one. It was a pleasant change to have a proper cooked meal of meat, vegetables and gravy followed by fruit instead of the traveling diet. The woman began to wonder what Palarand was going to be like.

"Rift Valley," she said suddenly, lowering the knife and spoon she had been given to eat with.

"Pardon, my dear?"

"Rift Valley," the woman repeated. "That's what this valley is. Sometimes the forces in the earth are so great it cracks. When you get two cracks side by side the ground between can slip down. That's how this valley was formed and why there are mountains either side. The river came later."

Tanon and Merina looked at one another. A crack in the ground sixty marks wide?

"Is this something from your past, my dear?" Merina asked.

"I... think so," the woman said. "I'm not quite sure where that came from, though, or what it means."

The apparent random remark about matters neither had ever considered worried both Tanon and Merina. If this strange young woman ever did get her memory back, was she likely to be so different to them that they would have difficulty understanding her? If this were so, what must the society be like that she came from? And where exactly on Anmar was it? What would happen when more of her kind arrived, would it be a time of advancement or a time of chaos? Both unsettled, they resumed eating and tried not to think about what the future might bring.

As the meal ended Jaxen asked, "Master, how do you want to sleep tonight?"

It seemed an odd question but Tanon saw what he had implied.

"I think tonight we'll sleep with the wagons, Jaxen. Our cargo is sufficiently valuable that none would question it."

Jaxen nodded when he noticed the double meaning.

"As you say, Master. I'll tell the boys to get the awnings up."

It seemed much warmer and more humid down here in the valley and it took the woman some time to fall asleep. Despite the presence of other caravans and sundry travelers at the stop nothing disturbed her. In the morning Merina woke her and they made their way to the bath house again. Merina looked thoughtful.

"My dear, there are baths here and we could all do with a wash, could we not? Normally we wait until we reach home, which will only be in about three to four bells time. If you can wait that long we can bathe in privacy at our own mansion. That way there will be no awkward questions to answer."

The woman thought. "I have not been traveling as long as you have, Merina. I think I can wait until we get to the end of the journey."

The party went over to the eating area again and took breakfast, this time of grain porridge but there was also bread, meat, cheese and fruit available for those who wanted it. Also, of course, the hot herbal drink was provided for Merina and the woman. This time Tanon and Jaxen had instead what looked like beer in their mugs. Towards the end of the meal Jaxen sent some of the men off to begin packing up the caravan and as Tanon, Merina and the woman rose the others went to collect their beasts from the corrals. At the circle of wagons the dranakhs appeared, bellowing and wheezing as they backed between the wagon shafts.

"What's made them so excited?" the woman asked.

"By lunchtime they'll be home, Mistress," Felly told her as he adjusted the straps to secure Chek in place. "We won't use these beasts again after so long a journey but another team. They know it is flat the rest of the way, and they know that once they get home they'll be allowed to run in the fields for a few days, probably till we get back from Viridor in fact. Like most of us, they don't mind traveling, but they like getting home again."

Soon they remounted and resumed traveling along the straight road. What appeared to be the river approached, and the woman understood it to be the crescent-shaped lake she had seen from the lookout post high on the cliff. The wagon train crossed this on an ancient stone viaduct, the middle arch of which had been replaced by a wooden span. Thinking about it, she supposed it to have been built by those ancient empire-builders when this lake had been part of the river.

The dranakhs were pulling the wagons along with a will, almost galloping with their enthusiasm to get home. The wagoneers kept them in check but it was evident that whatever the dranakhs wanted they were not prepared to put anyone or anything in danger. The frayen, with a much shorter stride, rolled and bounced along as they tried to keep up with the wagons. Here it would have been a help if the woman could control her own beast, but she was reluctant to do so given the present circumstances, and no-one really expected that she should attempt such a thing.

As the town approached buildings began to appear beside the road, usually farmsteads to begin with but increasingly what the woman imagined were mansion houses or villas surrounded by formal gardens. Nearly all of these buildings, the woman noticed, were on stilts. Eventually it became clear that they were no longer in the country but within the outskirts of what was a sizable town. The dranakhs, sensing the increased traffic, slowed down to a more sedate pace.

"Jaxen, if you would see to the cargo and the beasts. I'll take Merina and the Princess to our home. They will certainly want to freshen up and change if I know women."

"Aye, Master. Do you want me to join you later?"

"I would think so, unless there's a problem unloading the cargo. Moris can usually handle that all right. We'll endeavor to leave for the palace about the ninth bell, I think. That should give us time to make ourselves presentable and Robanar should be able to spare us some time by then."

"Right you are, Master Tanon. The ninth bell it is."

"Don't forget to make sure we'll be ready to leave at first light tomorrow."

Jaxen rolled his eyes. "Aye, Master Tanon."

Most of the houses they had passed on the wide road were made of timber but increasingly the houses became larger and made of brick, one or two stories high. The windows were mostly leaded with multiple panes each no bigger than a man's hand. Most were brightly decorated in a variety of colors and the gardens in front of most were well-kept.

They came to a massive stone wall with an ornate arched gateway through which the road led. At this point Jaxen, five of the the wagons and most of the men turned left and followed the wall along a road outside it. The last wagon, Tanon, Merina, Silna, Tanon's servant Briggen, the woman and four of the men went through the gate into what Merina informed the woman was called the 'Old Town'. The roads inside were narrower and much more busy with traffic of all kinds. They threaded a route through various streets and eventually slowed in front of a large house which occupied an entire block.

The wagon, which the woman realized was the one that contained all their possessions, led the way through a pair of double gates at the side of the old wooden building into a central courtyard.

"Home," Merina said with relief as she slid from her frayen. "Come on, I'll show you where everything is."

"Mistress?" Silna came over as soon as she had dismounted.

"A bath for all of us, I think," Merina said, "some lunch and then we'll have to look out some clothes for the Princess here fit to be presented to a King. We'll have until the ninth bell, so Tanon said earlier."

"I heard, Mistress. I'll organize the hot water." Silna pushed her way through a door into the building. It was obvious that she had some authority here in the house where her mistress lived. Merina and her guest followed more slowly, Tanon remaining behind ensuring that the beasts were all stabled and looked after and that their wagon was unloaded without anything being stolen or lost.

"Welcome to my home, dear," Merina said, holding the door open, and the woman entered. There were servants waiting, but most had dispersed when Silna entered with instructions, the few remaining greeting Merina with deference as well as smiles of welcome. They cast curious glances at the strange woman, recognizing Silna's dress and wondering what her connection with their mistress could be.

"This young woman joined us on the road from Moxgo over the mountains," Merina explained. "She has lost her memory and has no suitable clothes. We will be taking her to the palace at the ninth bell, so we're going to have a bath, some lunch and then sort out something suitable for her to wear."

The house was wood-framed with plastered walls between the timbers, which looked old. It was big, the corridors and rooms which could be seen from the entrance being of substantial size. Merina led the way through to a large hallway behind what was obviously the front entrance. She paused.

"I was going to suggest we bathed first, but it might save some time if we took a small side trip," she said. "One of the dress-makers I patronize is just across the street. If we go there and tell him what we need, he may be able to find something that fits you while we bathe and eat and then you'll be able to try it on once you're clean."

The woman realized that she had worn the same clothes without removing them except briefly for three straight days and her whole outfit was dusty and creased from the traveling. No, it wouldn't be a good idea to be trying things on in this state.

"Yes, Merina, if you think that's best."

They had to wait while a carriage pulled by four frayen passed before they could cross the cobbled street and enter a commercial premises immediately opposite. A small man came forward to greet them as the door swung shut.

"Mistress Merina! I saw your wagon arrive, I trust you had a successful expedition?"

"Master Korond." Merina returned the greeting. "Aye, I think we can safely say that the trip was successful. We have a whole wagon full of cloth even now being unpacked in the warehouse, including everything you asked us to find for you. In fact, Tanon has managed to bring two bolts of the finest silk you may wish to consider."

The man's mouth dropped. "No doubt at great expense, Mistress."

"Regrettably aye, Korond, the prices in the market were higher than we expected. But just wait until you see it, you may wish to have a few lengths. Tanon did say to me that he was willing to split the bolt if absolutely necessary."

"Did he now? I shall take my cutter over early tomorrow morning, then, when I go to collect my order. But who have we here? You haven't introduced us, Mistress."

"That's because she doesn't currently have a name," Merina explained. To Korond's raised eyebrow she continued, "She has lost her memory, and also has nothing to wear. We will be taking her to the palace at about the ninth bell because they might better know what to do with her. Is it possible you have something secreted away which might be suitable for someone being presented to Robanar?"

Korond's face became startled and then intent as he considered the problem.

"Why, I suppose we might, Mistress. I will need to get Jensy to measure her, of course, but I think I might have a gown or two for someone her size. To lend or to buy, Mistress?"

Merina looked surprised. "Why, I don't know, Master Korond! I hadn't considered that. Let me think." She paused for a moment, then said, "Lend to start with, I think. When we come back from the palace we'll probably know better what kind of gowns she'll need."

Korond nodded. "Aye, of course." He turned to the door at the back of the shop. "Jensy!"

An older woman bustled through the rear door and then stopped when she saw Korond had customers.

"Why, it's Mistress Merina! What is it I can do for you today?"

"Jensy, Tanon's train has just arrived back from Moxgo. Can you take Merina's guest through to the changing room and measure her, please?" Korond asked her. "Then while she and Mistress Merina go home and clean themselves up, we can have a root through the gown stock out back and see if we can find something that fits her. Mistress Merina is taking her to the palace this afternoon."

"Of course, Master Korond. This way, Mistress."

Jensy led the woman through the back door and into a changing area.

"We'll have to take your gown off, Mistress, so I can get accurate measurements. We don't need to take your undergarments off though."

Jensy wrinkled her nose when she removed the dress. Days of travel under a hot sun through dusty terrain had made a mess of it. The woman realized that even Silna's bodice was stained with sweat and she felt guilty about the damage she might be causing to the maid's clothing. Jensy reached for a long thin strip of cloth hanging from a rail.

Tape measure, thought the woman. I don't recognize the marks on it, though. Suppose I can't read or write? How will I manage?

Jensy efficiently took all the required measurements, writing them down with chalk on a slate before helping the woman put the dress back on. They returned to the main room where Merina was describing the journey she had made with Tanon and what they had bought and sold in the cities they had visited. The two took their leave with Korond's promise to bring over some garments after the lunchtime nap.

Crossing the road brought another headache to the woman. Merina looked at her with concern as they were let back into the front door of Tanon's mansion.

"What is it this time, dear? Another memory?"

"Yes," the woman said. "It was peculiar. I could see carriages, many carriages, but there were no animals pulling them. They were made all from rounded metal which was brightly painted, and each had huge windows on every side. The road was smooth and black."

"No animals?" Merina asked sceptically. "Then how were they pulled along?"

"I think," the woman said cautiously, "that they moved themselves. I know that sounds crazy but I also know it's true. I don't remember any more details, though."

Merina shrugged and filed the occurrence away for later. She led the woman back into a central hallway and then up stairs which led to a long corridor. At one end of this corridor was a tiled room and next to it a disrobing chamber.

"I know we dressed you before, when we found you, but you were unconscious then," Merina said apologetically. "It occurs to me that you might not wish to have your body seen by others. Do you think that might be so? I know there are cities where they have such customs."

The woman shrugged. "I have no idea," she said. "If you've already seen my body, I can't see the harm in your seeing it again, I'm sure."

"Very well, then," Merina smiled. "Let's get undressed. Do you mind if we help each other? I think Silna will be along shortly but we might as well start."

Silna appeared as they had almost finished.

"Thank you for starting, Mistress. The water's ready, because we were expected back it was already simmering in the boiler. Toman and Shern are ready to start pumping."

"Aye, do so, please."

Silna gave the order and then the two women helped her to strip off. The three went through a side door into the tiled room where a huge tub filled up much of the floor. Two pipes ran up a side wall and emptied into the tub, hot water from one and cold from the other. When the temperature had been adjusted to Silna's satisfaction they all climbed in, letting the water relax their muscles after the days of travel.

Once refreshed Silna used blocks of hard soap to wash first her mistress and then her guest, then they both helped to clean Silna before rinsing each other thoroughly. Finally they stepped out and put on fluffy wrap-round robes and simple wood-soled sandals before Merina led them back along the corridor and down the stairs. A further walk through downstairs corridors led to an airy room overlooking the courtyard, where the woman could see the wagon being unloaded and, at one side, Tanon and Jaxen checking it over for any damage.

"Sit down, dear," Merina said. "Now we're clean we can eat our lunch in some comfort."

She issued orders to a number of staff and the table was quickly laid for lunch. As this was being completed Tanon appeared, wiping his hands on a towel.

"I'll bathe later, dear," he said to Merina. "There was a small problem with the wagon that could not wait."

"Will that cause any delay to our journey to Viridor?" she asked.

"I don't think so, dear. It should be put right this afternoon."

Only Tanon, Merina and the woman sat at the table. Silna stood behind her mistress but served both her and the woman when required. When they had finished Merina rose and conducted her guest back upstairs to a small bedchamber.

"If you would take your nap in here, my dear," Merina suggested. "Tanon and I will be just along the corridor. Silna will come and wake you when it is time to dress."

The bed was soft and smelled nice. The woman lay on the top and fell asleep almost immediately and it seemed no time at all before Silna was gently shaking her. A trip to the toilet followed and then Silna took her to what was obviously Tanon and Merina's suite. Tanon was nowhere in evidence but Merina welcomed the woman.

"Time to find you something to wear, dear."

By the time Korond and Jensy arrived with an armful of gowns they were all dressed in fresh bodices and underskirts, the guest's being a mixture donated by the other female staff. A butler showed Korond and his assistant into the suite.

"Mistress," Korond said, uncomfortable at being in such a place, "I have four gowns which may fit your guest. They are all of slightly different shapes and sizes. It may be necessary to whip up the hem, I have brought shears, needle and thread against any need for adjustment. Can I leave you in Jensy's capable hands?"

"Aye, of course, Master Korond. Why don't you go downstairs with Vorn and he can give you a glass or two of wine while you wait?"

When the four women came down stairs Korond nearly dropped his goblet.

"Mistress Merina! You have a real treasure here! That gown suits her so well I'm tempted to offer it as a gift, whatever we discussed before."

Merina smiled. "Aye, she cleans up very well, doesn't she? Jaxen calls her 'Princess' because she might very well be, you can see that now yourself, can't you?"

The woman's hair had been cleaned and brushed and a comb each side held it back. She wore a mid-calf length gown of blue velvet with an insert of white satin brocade from the low neckline to waist. White satin slippers could just be seen below the hem. Merina wore a dress of dark green velvet with a cream-colored insert, Silna had a dress of very dark blue, good quality material but no-one would mistake her for anything but a servant.

"I'm tempted to come along," Korond said, "just to see the look on Robanar's face when you present her, but I'd only be getting in the way. Ah, here's Tanon. What a beauty you found, Tanon."

Tanon had on a dark red velvet sleeveless coat over a gray satin tunic and dark blue leggings. He nodded to Jensy and greeted the others briefly."Merina, Silna, Princess. You look magnificent, all three of you." He turned to the draper and each clasped the other's forearm. "Korond, old friend. We had a good trip, I have all your wants. Come over later, we'll discuss the whole business over some wine but we have to be going to the palace shortly. Aye, this young woman is interesting, isn't she? I expect she'll be even more interesting once we find out more about her."

"Aye, so Merina has been telling me. Jensy and I will take our leave, then. Till later."

They rode in a four-wheeled carriage pulled by four frayen through the increasingly crowded streets of Palarand. Jaxen sat on the top seat beside the driver, the satchel on his lap. Some ornate wrought-iron gates marked the entrance to the palace and then they were dismounting in a courtyard. Since getting dressed the woman had suffered a continuous low headache accompanied by buzzing so she didn't take in much of what went on around her during the trip. They entered a wide set of entrance doors and a liveried footman guided the group along wide, richly furnished corridors.

Jaxen looked uncomfortably out of place in what the woman assumed was his only presentable suit of clothes. He kept close by her, trying to reassure her as they walked.

"Robanar is a good man, Mistress. You can trust him to help you find out who you are. He has a number of wise men helping him, I can't imagine they won't be able to make sense of all this mystery."

"Jaxen, I don't doubt you're right, but at the moment I just want to go and lie down somewhere quiet," she replied. "My head's been pounding ever since we got in the carriage. We've been traveling for days, I think I need a rest."

"I forget what it's like to those who aren't used to the roads, Princess. Not to worry, I'm sure that once you've been presented we can go home and relax for a while."

As they were talking they had come into a large room. Either side against the walls were ornate padded chairs, and at the far end two heavily-decorated chairs stood unoccupied.

Merina turned to the pair. "It looks like Robanar is occupied elsewhere," she said. "He might be busy. It's difficult to tell what he might be doing, we didn't have an appointment to see him."

"Perhaps we should sit down, Mistress, while we wait?" Jaxen suggested to Merina. "The Princess is feeling a little fragile after all that's happened today."

There were other groups of people standing talking in the big room, and a young man broke away from the nearest group and came directly towards them. His eyes had unerringly found the stranger in their party, and he looked intrigued.

"What's this? Greetings, Tanon, Merina. Did I hear your man say you had a Princess with you?"

"It's not quite that simple, Your Highness," Tanon replied. He turned towards the woman. "This is Prince Keren, Robanar's son. Highness, the young woman here has lost her memory. We found her in the mountains on the road from Moxgo three days ago, and we are bringing her to your father since the situation is complicated and we have to leave early tomorrow morning to go to Viridor. There are... disturbing aspects to this whole business which Robanar needs to know about as soon as possible."

Tanon gently took hold of the Prince's arm and motioned him away into an open space where they might not be overheard. Keren's attention was torn between his curiosity about the beautiful young woman who had suddenly appeared at court and the news which Tanon was trying to tell him. The two had a low-voiced discussion, pausing every now and then to look at the woman who gazed back without apparent interest. Keren came to a decision and said something to Tanon before striding out of the room through a door beside the thrones. Tanon returned to the group.

"He says that Robanar is doing something with the kingdom's accounts at the moment, but he'll try and see if the King can spare us some moments. We'd better take some seats, it could be a long wait."

They sat down and the woman immediately slumped against Merina.

"I'm sorry Merina, it's just all too much at the moment," she said. "It's a great deal to take in all at once, and my headache seems to be getting worse."

"There there, child," Merina comforted her with an arm, "I keep forgetting what an ordeal you must have had before we ever found you. I promise once today is over you can have a few days just recovering quietly at our house. What do you say to that?"

"Thank you, Merina, that's most kind. You've been very kind to me ever since you found me. I don't like to think what might have happened if someone else had found me, someone less friendly. But, the problem is, you see, that it all seems wrong, somehow."

"Wrong? How can us finding you be wrong?"

"I don't mean that kind of wrong, I'm sorry. I can't begin to describe it, but it's just a feeling I'm having, that's been getting stronger all day. Like the houses aren't quite right, or the animals are strange, what clothes people are wearing, things like that."

"I told you before," Merina said, "if wherever you come from is very different to this, then you are going to find things strange. I think it should all settle down once you get your memory back, and as you get familiar with life in Palarand."

"But... do I have to stay here? Is there a way to get me home?"

"Until we can determine exactly where your home is," Tanon said, "we can't start to solve that problem, can we?"

After a short wait their conversation was cut short by the reappearance of Prince Keren.

"I have convinced my father that it would be prudent for him to listen to what you say," he said to Tanon, "so if your party would come with me... what's the matter with the Princess?"

"She has a bad headache," Tanon explained. "We think it is connected to her memory loss."

"Of course. We'll walk slowly." Keren held out his hand to the woman. She took it and rose to her feet, giving him a small smile of gratitude. The Prince was the first person of about her own age that she had seen since she regained consciousness, and she was not entirely sure how to behave in front of him. He put her at ease with a smile and a waved hand, and they set off through the rear door into another corridor. Eventually they came to a stout wooden door which the Prince opened.

Inside the chamber were a number of tables with men seated behind them. All the tables were completely covered with books, scrolls and loose documents, as were the many shelves which lined every wall. The largest table, in front of the big window that flooded the room with light had seated behind it the largest man, who stood as the visitors entered the room.

The King was a broad man, not exceptionally tall but with a powerful presence that spoke of years of rule. His hair was graying but otherwise there were few signs of age. Although he looked like a man with a strong personality his manner was friendly, and he smiled as he recognized his visitors.

"Master Tanon! Mistress Merina! I gather you had an interesting trip."

"Your Majesty." Tanon bowed, followed by all the men, while Merina and Silna curtseyed. The woman awkwardly followed suit once she realized what was going on. Tanon continued.

"This young woman was discovered under unusual circumstances on the road from Moxgo, three days ago. What we have learned so far is sufficiently disturbing that we considered it prudent to bring the details to you immediately we arrived." Robanar's eyebrows raised. "As you may be aware, we must leave at first light tomorrow for Viridor, to settle a bargain which will bring many, many crowns to your treasury."

"Hah." Robanar gestured around at the accountants seated at the other tables. "My accounts are worse than yours, Tanon, and you're not making my life any easier! Is this the woman?"

"Aye, Sire. Sire, she has lost her memory. What flashes she has had of her past just seem to make the puzzle more complicated. We are not versed in such things, but we know you have knowledgeable men here at the palace who may be."

Robanar grinned. "So, you want to go off to Viridor after a bargain, and you want to dump this young woman on me while you're gone?" Tanon looked offended but then he realized that Robanar was just making a jest. "I understand your problem, Tanon, and I understand just how important the Viridor trip is to you - and to Palarand." He considered, then turned to the men at the desks.

"I think we might as well abandon this for today. We'll resume tomorrow morning after breakfast." The men rose, and two of them began tidying their desks. "No! Don't bother doing that, there's no point if you're coming back tomorrow. Go." He turned his attention back to Tanon as the men closed the door behind them. "So, tell me your story."

"Sire, she was lying on the rocks below the roadway as it rises out of Blayvardis Vale. There had been no caravans or other travelers past that spot for some days beforehand that we can discover. When she was found she was wearing these clothes." He turned to Jaxen and beckoned. Jaxen came towards the table, opened the satchel and gently laid the contents out on top of the scattered documents and books that covered it. "As you can see, our apprehensions were immediately raised."

The woman stumbled. Merina would have stopped her falling but Keren reached her first.

"What's the matter with her?" Robanar asked Merina.

"Sire, since we found her she has been having headaches, steadily getting worse. We think it must be related to her loss of memory."

"Of course. Find her a seat, Keren. In fact, all of you find seats. Keren, send someone for some water for our visitor."

Tanon, Merina and the woman were given seats. The servants remained standing. Keren came back with a jug and a goblet, and he poured some water for the woman before seating himself next to her, holding the goblet for her to drink. She thanked him with a weak smile. Tanon picked up the clothing and held them up next to the window for the King to see specific details as he described them. The King looked shocked and then gave an order.

"Keren, run and fetch Morlan. Ask him to bring one of his magnifying glasses, will you? Oh, and find my chamberlain. I can't have you running errands round the palace for me, it isn't seemly."

The woman watched all this through an increasing haze. It seemed to her that the two halves of her brain were slowly being pulled apart, the links between them being stretched painfully taut. She barely heard the comforting words that Merina was saying, her attention being wholly upon trying not to lose consciousness in the warm room.

Keren returned with two men, one dressed in an ornate livery and the other dressed in a simple black floor-length robe over a black tunic and black hose.

"Sire?" This second man spoke. "You have some need of my services?"

"Aye, Morlan, bring your glass over here to the window, look at this cloth, will you?"

Tanon, Robanar and Morlan went into an intense three-way discussion by the window, closely examining all the items of clothing. Morlan was stunned when he was shown the curious fastening on the trousers and took a special interest in the footwear and the bracelet. Finally he spoke quietly to Robanar and Tanon and then approached the women.

"You, girl, these are your possessions?" he asked.

"I think so, sir," she replied, alarmed by his abrasive attitude. "They're not anyone else's, if that's what you mean."

"But you've lost your memory. So how can you possibly say that you know they belong to you?"

"I just do, sir. There's a sort of echo that tells me I know all about them, sir, and that they are mine."

"Do you remember where you come from?"

"No sir, but I know it's nowhere near here, sir. I don't recognize any of the animals and everything looks strange. Even the trees and plants look odd, and the food tastes funny. Not unpleasant, just not anything I recognize. Ow!"

Another spike hit her, and she groped for the goblet which Keren held out.

Robanar called from where he still stood with Tanon. "She's not well, Morlan! Leave her be!"

The woman gulped some water and then climbed to her feet, supported by Merina. She staggered towards the table with the clothing on it, Morlan trailing after.

"Your Majesty," she said to Robanar, "When Tanon found me they took off all my clothes and dressed me differently. I only saw these things once afterwards, in poor light in a tent. May I look at them again?"

"You mean, you've only briefly seen them?" Robanar's eyebrows rose. "Even though -" He paused. "Very well." He gestured at the pile.

She picked up the shirt and felt it again. In the daylight, she could see that what she had taken for dirt on the front was actually a design somehow painted on the soft material. There were symbols in a circle surrounding some kind of geometrical shape. She picked up the trousers and a memory came, stronger than before. She turned them over, feeling the strong fabric, noticing the sturdy construction. There was a leather patch on the back at the waistband, seeming to have no functional purpose. It had a design impressed on it, one which immediately brought memories flooding back, along with a powerful pulse of pain. She dropped the trousers and fell to the floor senseless.

"Now look what you've done, Morlan!" Robanar fumed. "That's no way to treat a young woman! Help her to a seat, won't you all." The instruction was unnecessary as Merina and Silna were already doing that. Silna produced a square of cloth, dipped it in the goblet and gave it to Merina to wipe the woman's brow. Slowly she began to revive.

It was as though something had finally reached ultimate tension inside her head and snapped. Suddenly, everything was still and clear. She knew who she was. At least, she thought she knew who she was, and it terrified her. Her eyes opened, and Keren immediately presented the goblet to her, and she took it and drank.

"It's come back," she said shakily. "I know who I am. I remember my name, although I have no idea where I am or how I came here. My name is Garia -" She stopped, suddenly appalled.

"That's a beautiful name, dear," Merina said, but the woman didn't hear her.

She had just realized that what she had thought she was saying in her brain was not what was coming out of her mouth. She realized that she was not speaking her native language either, and her mind had adapted her thoughts all along to accommodate the difference. Only the leather patch on the trousers had suddenly shown her the truth, stamped with the words "Levi Strauss & Co." She tried again, her voice trembling with mounting horror as she began to understand her predicament, carefully enunciating the words to make sure she spoke what she intended to.

"My name is Gary, and in the world I come from, I am a boy."

up
370 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ahhh,

Things come back, memory wise. I wonder who is more shocked in that group?

This is a very interesting tale, Penny and I'll be waiting for the next chapter.

Maggie

Somewhere Else Entirely -3

OK, are the PEOPLE human, or has the VISITOR been transformed into a NATIVE?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Stan, you already know the answer

Which is Yes!

Although... hrm... there is a possible wrinkle which may surface in about ten chapters time...

Penny :)

Wonderful storytelling

The entire front end of this part frames a person of amazing femininity and gentle nature, that the final words comes through like a thunderclap to the reader even though we are all expecting it. Fox and hen house comes to mind. The next thought is the greedy consumer thought of .... more .... more ^_^

Penny has us in her clutches and she knows it :)

Kim

Okay, that was a shocker!

I thought I had some of this worked out, but now...I dunno!
It almost seems as though something is trying to keep her/him from regaining his memory. I look forward to more, you've really got me hooked!

Wren

Gary, you have just entered

Gary, you have just entered "The Twilight Zone" and now you have to find your way back, if you want to.

The dam bursts!

Wel, well, well. She's finally broken through the barrier separating her memories of before and after. It seems as though whoever brought her there at least had the courtesy to install a knowledge of the local language - which, in its own way, makes the situation even stranger than before!

Now, can I demolish the next chapter before Primeval or not? :) Let's have a go...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Skilled writing here... very skilled!

Fantastic telling of a fantastic story. Wow!

.
.

Lora123e.jpg
The girl in me. She's always there, and she too knows that where she came from, she was a boy. That boy was named... oh... ohh ow... I seem to suddenly have a splitting head ache ;-)

oh boy.

will they believe her?

DogSig.png

Memories

This is going to make things awkward

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Ain't that an eye opener?

Jamie Lee's picture

Garia traveled with Tanon and Merina without a memory of herself or where she is from.

Levi Strauss & Co are some powerful pants if they help her remember her name. Might the money and her watch open more memories?

But the kicker for everyone in the room was her declaration of being a boy where she came from, while all they saw was a, girl.

Others have feelings too.

I'm a boy!

Aine Sabine's picture

Dum, Dum, Dumm!!! Saw that coming. But I am enjoying this story!

Wil

Aine

Many times over

I am enjoying this while waiting for the next episode.