Time's Arrow, or: Changes, Part 1

Printer-friendly version

Time's Arrow
or: Changes
 
~or~: The Second Law of Thermodynamics Claims Yet Another Victim
 Part le Un
 by Michelle Wilder
 
A drama of physics and philosophy

 

---

Mike twirled a strand of hair and doodled while he mostly ignored Professor Hubert. As long as he remembered to glance up occasionally he was free to do what he wanted and could finish reading the chapter later. He'd quickly learned that Prof. Hubert tested directly out of the 'Modern European History' textbook.

His absently switched from just hair twirling to also finger-rub his cheek even as he ~also~ drew a tiny, elaborate curly-curve. It itched.

His face itched. Not the french curve. It itched every Thursday.

Electrolysis itched. Before it happened, anyways.

His brain seemed to itch sometimes, too, and what was currently itching around didn't seem to want to be scratched.

He re-read what he'd scrawled and corrected and shaped and re-written over and over for the last half-hour. Order from chaos. Big idea words that were just disguises for not having a clue. Half the problem was Hubert talking away and having to pay a bit of attention in case he asked a question. Half was trying to be clever.

But at least half was... something closer to the brain itch. He drew the strand of hair out full length and then across his mouth so he could hold it in his lips.

"History is presented as progress: a sequence of logical decisions and their predictable, planned outcomes. The parade of dates and events is interspersed (he really liked the word 'interspersed' and underlined it again... have to remember to use it somewhere...) with the occasional extraordinary character who seems to define an era or personify a great leap forward:

"Queen Elizabeth I. Napolean. George Washington. Julius Caesar. Count Dracula."

(Ok. Maybe not Dracula.)

Mike inked out Vlad's name, but he left the little fangs. His castle's location was the only thing Mike could remember from a deadly-dull lecture on the Balkans last week. Count Dracula personified last week for him, at least. Maybe the whole middle ages....

The real point, he thought as he looked at the messy paragraph and pretty good doodle of fangs, was that "history" was... dull.

But it ~wasn't.~ Not if it was your history.... He scratched at a new spot right under his chin as he drew kissy-lips around the fangs, puckering his own lips absentmindedly to match.

~Personal~ history, Mike thought, does not slowly, logically "progress." The things that'd happened to one person - him - seemed to be anything but organized... or something that could be called progress, anyway.

And they sure weren't slow!

Lately, life was more like an avalanche, like a bucket of golf balls poured down a stairwell... it bounced all over, everywhere, and made no sense at all. Not the way history was supposed to. And it was fast!

On a new page, he drew some stairs, and a bucket...

At least it ~did~ go in one general direction... away from the bucket. From the 'defining event.' So things weren't entirely random: they went downhill. (little balls all over the page...)

But the further and further it went, the more random-seeming it got.... With every bounce and ricochet and... and every time one bounced, the more it spread out, too. (dozens of balls at the bottom... dots for dimples...)

That wasn't right. It was totally wrong, really. He tucked his hair back behind his ear and sat up a little.

The random spreading out. He looked at the bottom line of the page. At what his little, round drawings were telling him. There wasn't really a "bottom of the page" in real life. Entropy, maybe, but that wasn't reality for his normal life....

Everything - his personal bucket of balls, really - everything that happened, started in one place. And time. And it went down, sure... Or out, more...

But even after just a few seconds, it stopped being random.

People changed everything. People weren't random.

Practically every ~person~ that one of those balls reached would pick it up and bring it back if they could see where it had spilled from. Or they played with it. Or put it in a pocket. Or they gave it to a dog and she played with it... Or they gave it to someone else and ~they~ brought it somewhere else.

And some of the balls - heck, ~most~ of them - would still be out there, bouncing and rolling away... and someone was gonna move every one of them, sooner or later. And more of them would be brought back. Sure as borsht.

Mike looked at the page again. Tried to put it all... tried to fit it to that itch.

The bucket was still empty, at the beginning. It had still poured it down the stairs. And the balls, even if they ~all~ eventually came back....

Even if a miracle happened and they were all brought back, they'd never be in the same order again, in the same places in the bucket again.

So even after the bucket was full of returned balls, when it ~looked~ the same again... it was really totally different.

And was he the bucket? Or the balls...?

He'd never be exactly the same again, even if he made it all look the same. He was never even what he looked like, ~before~....

History was a bucket of balls that they told you was the truth, but it was just something that ~looked~ like what had really happened. And what really happened wasn't what it looked like, either.

Mike blinked awake again. Looked at what he'd written before, on the last page. History. He scratched with one nail at a particularly irritating bump at the top of his neck, carefully.

There were a hundred little balls... he'd drawn a waterfall of balls. Bouncing balls. He drew a few more bounces.

The next sentence he wrote ran over top of a dozen falling little balls, above the bounces, which he thought was appropriate.

"Change is a river. It looks the same every time you see it, but it's different water."

He looked at it. Wrote underneath it: "Change is a whirlpool."

Water flowing, rather than little balls bouncing....

He liked that more, or thought it was more accurate. Mixing and going around... but a whirlpool was a depressing metaphor. And the bucket looking the same while being different wasn't the only point....

If the bucket still existed, and all the balls did, even spread all over? Was it the same as before? In parts?

Wasn't a river really the same, even after all the water had flowed by, over and over for... ever?

Mike thought a long minute, doodling spirals and stars....

"Things never go back to exactly where they were."

He looked at the page. All the balls, all the activity of bouncing and change. At the spirals that he'd changed into whirlpools....

He looked at the bottom, at the dozen balls he'd settled there. Pushed a few hairs out of his eyes. Then he turned to a new page and wrote right in the middle.

"Is going back in the bucket really better?"

-

End of part Un. (More girly stuff later on... trust me)

up
103 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

More girly stuff later

Dangle participles much? ... duh...
It should read: "More girlier stuff in later chapters."
:-)
Michelle

I'm New at This Game of Writing

I wouldn't know a dancing participle from a dangling one.
But just from the point of logic if he promises more of
the same and not to increase the intensity of the sameness
then why is "more of the girly stuff" not correct even if
does not meet someones idea of correct grammar. I am a
bone head when it comes to English and I believe it comes
out in my stories. But I was just wondering what would
best convey the message if the writer intended to say
"more of the same" and not "with more intensity."

I used to be anal...

Now I'm just obsessively persnickety.
Grammar is a lifestyle choice, a lot like wearing fuscia. Or Earth Shoes.
Though wearing fuscia Earth Shoes is an abomination in the eyes of all caring society!
I'm glad you like the story so far, I'm having a ball writing it (I only have the next two chapters done) and now I'm waiting to see where the next few golf balls roll to a stop. So far, there's a monk involved. I tell you, was *I* surprised!
Too bad Mike has no say in any of it. ;-)
Michelle

Sorry

Sorry for the "if he" it is just the story is so
intriguing I didn't think to look at the authors
name, and I think the best apology I can give is
I was so caught in the story I didn't pay attention
to the authors name. I do like the story, especially
the start. I could be wrong as to where you are going
with it but half the fun of reading an excellent
story is commenting on it and somehow becoming part
of it, and trying to guess where the author is going.
I have read this story several times and every time I'm
compelled to push the good story button. Thanks for
this excellent story.

S'ok

I don't worry about 'he' :-)
(After all, I *was* one legally) for almost half my life!)
Michelle

"trust me"

amyzing's picture

that's what they *all* say!

:-)

nice start; i'm intrigued. actually, i've never had any idea what goes on inside the heads of people who doodle, but that seems like a fit (at least to the friend who does it most often). she doesn't like history, either. heathens. unwashed hooligans. history is *fun*! 'course, if someone's giving you the heroic narrative bit, they're prolly also demanding memorization of random dates, by rote, so i s'pose that would be pretty dull, if you don't know how to read the stuff to put the links in and make a *story* out of history.

:-)

in other randomness: we're gonna get snowed or iced in tomorrow, looks like. how come it's so *damned* cold this winter? i did my time in russia, already, i'm not *s'posed* to hafta be cold no more.

Amy!

hmmmm.....later?

I am not so much intrigued as flat out confused....good metaphor but this kid has way too much going on and I am far too lazy to try to follow that again
:P

anyway, good start will try to follow as well as I can....night.

Right up my alley..

... or is it down my stairwell?

Looking forward to the continuation.

- Moni

There's a hole in my bucket

Dear Michelle, Dear Michelle.

Intriguing how anyone can say a lot and yet tell me nothing.

Watch this space? More like 'watch this gap'.

I'm hooked already.

S.

Time's Arrow, or: Changes, Part 1

So, is this a time travel story?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I Think it is About Change

Good start in introducing your character and his plans
for a change in teams. I get the impression a boy has
sat in a lecture and is preoccupied with his hair length
and desire to change sexual orientation. It appears he
has adopted female traits and he is on the way and sees
no point in changing course and returning to his normal
self, or perhaps normal for him is being more feminine,
it depends on how he/she feels about herself. A good
interesting start on a good story, or at least I assume
it will be a good story based on this first chapter.

Thanks for the feedback, all :-)

Thanks for the feedback, all :-)
I have to admit that this story is the way I actually think.... Sorry.
Up to now, I have heavily edited my style to make it more understandable, usually to no great effect. So I decided to just write and see how it reads. Or how other peeps read it. I know that when you look up "non-linear" in the OED, my picture is there. Upside down. With the caption, "Lettuce."
Again, my apologies, as the earlier quip about the upcoming monk is true. He seems to be a nice monk, however...
Michelle

Monk?

Oh, no, he wouldn't happen to be an electric monk now, would he?

Penny

That could be

That could be shocking. Especially if the electric monk happened to have a little short........
CaroL

CaroL

Electric, coal-fired... whatever...

I just checked: he's 5'3", full head of salt'n'peppah, and eclectic.
Close, but no plantain.
;-)
Michelle

Electric monk

Oh, missed the Dirk Gently reference then.

Penny

Oh, and the old one: Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

OMG!

True psychic ability!!!!!
Michelle

(Or perhaps just a perspicacious mind at work... hmm....)

:)

A nice and intriguing start Michelle.
Entropy in action I guess :)

I is confuzzled... o.o;

I found this to be intriguing enough to check out the next chapter, but I'm not really sure what actually happened! Maybe I just need to adapt to your writing style again, I sorta forgot its unigueness! Wait, is that even a word? ^^; I dunno, my brain hurts... XD

*hugs*
Alyson