The Vlamir: The Last Wielder Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version
The Vlamir: The Last Wielder Chapter 1
By: Emily Rudgers

It is time to visit colleges and figure out where your life is headed. For one individual, their future is out of this world, literally.

Chapter 1

“…And on your right you will see the library. We will be stopping in there after lunch. It is where we will assist you in registering for classes, and probably will become your home for the next four years while you cram for exams.” The parents all chuckled as if they were in on an inside joke, while all of the students rolled their eyes.

I really hate the tours they take you on when you visit colleges. This is not the way that they will actually look and feel once you start attending. They polish them up for a few weeks while the parents visit, and once the school gets its check things go downhill.

The guide leads on talking about how great this and that is, while listing endless clubs and Greek possibilities. I am sure they are paid to sound all chipper about everything and make everything sound like it is the greatest thing since sliced bread. This, come to think of it, is just bread without the need for a knife, so maybe it is not so great… oh, the things my mind comes up with. My teacher always said I had a great mind, since I thought things others would not. Her recommendation letter is probably the only reason I was able to make it into Duke, or maybe it was the 800 hours of community service.

Eventually we arrive at the dining hall. It is more of an all you can eat buffet. I bet the food gets worse once the parents vanish, and they take away the all you can eat part. Hey, it is a business school; they know how to make people pay lots of money while they save tons of money. Too bad for them I am not actually going to attend this place but I get to take a day off from high school while getting free food, yes please!

I grab my ham and cheese sandwich, which they made in front of me and presented with a toothy smile, and take a seat at the furthest table. I sit down at one of the empty tables, with my back to the windows so I can see how all of the people interact. People watching, they should make it a nation sport or something.

I glance to the table on the right and see a bunch of Greeks all mixed. While giving the illusion that this school is great and everyone gets along, I can see that some Fraternities do not like others. They do not sit near each other or talk to one another. I snicker, I see through your façade, school. As I turn my head to the left while taking a bite of my sandwich, I find my view blocked by a body. More importantly a female body, who decided to take advantage of today’s warm weather and wear a skirt. I love warm weather….

“Is this seat taken?” She gives me a friendly smile that could melt hearts; mine only turns to molasses so I am actually able to give a coherent response.

“Uh, yeah,” while I motion for her to sit. Smooth, super smooth. Tell her to sit while saying she cannot. She pulls out the chair and sits down. At least she understood what I meant somehow. I wonder if she gets that a lot, I mean, she is super hot. However, that could just be the college girl thing... they all seem more attractive. On the other hand, maybe my high school was just the unfortunate batch. My thoughts are broken by her speaking.

“How do you like the campus?” Thankfully, she only gave me a half smile this time, so my mind actually sends the right message to my mouth.

“It’s nice. Too bad I won’t be attending here.”

“Visiting for the free food and day off school?” Her half smile still in place, but with a knowing look in her eyes.

“Damn, you figured me out. Remind me to never play poker with you.” I smirk. My antics are rewarded with a small giggle. Apparently, the high school charm still works at this level.

“I’m Stacy. I am with Phi Sig and just wanted to invite you to a party we are going to be having for potential freshman tonight. Even though you aren’t going to be attending here, you at least should give us the chance to change your mind.” This time she breaks out the works, full smile with the flirtatious undertone. I am so done.

“I’m Steve, and sure I’ll stop by. Although, shouldn’t a fraternity be trying to get me to stay?” She gives me a slightly confused look for a split second before realization on something hits her.

“Yes they should, but would you even consider if a bunch of guys asked you instead of a hot girl?”

“Well, no, but I never said you were hot.” She snickers and shakes her head.

“No, but your eyes certainly did. I will see you tonight, Steve!” With that, she stands and walks away. The moment that she is gone, I suddenly become the most popular person in the entire place. Everyone descends on my table trying to make conversation. Most people decide to sit and eat with me while waiting their turn to talk to me. All of the conversations seem to draw to asking questions about Stacy and what she wanted and said. Kind of annoying that I am popular by proxy. One good thing that came of it is that I learned where this Phi Sig house is and what time the party is. The best directions being head that general direction and look for a house with white columns.

--SEPARATOR--

I am making my way to the Phi Sig house, after spending countless hours in the library reading random books just so I would not have to drive home and then have to drive back. I round the corner of the street heading off campus, and see rows upon rows of houses, all having white columns. I sure hope there is a gigantic sign in Greek letters or I am doomed. I walk down the street, hoping that the house will just jump out at me in some way. One house does just that, the grass has been cut, the garden very recently done, and brand new Greek letters hanging on the door. I shuffle my way up the stairs of the porch and knock on the door.

Not even a second later, an attractive short brunette answers the door. “Can I help you?”

“I hope so. Stacy invited me to a party you are having tonight.” I hope Stacy is in there or this could get awkward quickly.

“Oh! Yeah, right, she told us that she invited someone. Come in, you can wait in the area on the right while I go get her.” She runs off up the stairs of the house leaving me to close the door and head into said area. As I make my way through the foyer into the room I notice a wall of pictures, all portraying what I can only guess are legacies. One of them looks like an older Stacy, and another looks like an older version of the brunette that just walked off.

That‘s cool, they are legacies. I head into the designated area and stand waiting. I survey the room, noticing nothing set up for a party. I absentmindedly spin my ring on my hand while waiting for Stacy.

Several moments later, she enters the room, tailed by the brunette. “Hey, Steve!” is my greeting with a wonderful smile of hers. I feel it have the same effect as before.

“Uh. Hi! Am I early?”

The brunette answers for Stacy, “Not at all, you are exactly on time.” She gives me a smile as well, while I am sure it would have melted my heart, it failed in comparison to Stacy’s. “I am Mandy, it’s nice to meet you again.”

She extends her hand to shake mine, and I stop twirling my ring long enough to shake hers. Unlike the normal handshake, her eyes are not looking at me, but instead my hand. I guess her parents never taught her the professional handshake.

“Again?” I question.

“You must not recognize me from the flurry of people that stopped by your table today during lunch, but I was the one who told you what time to be here.”

“Ah, sorry. So where are all of the people for this party then?”

Stacy gives me a confused look. “We are it. Were you expecting something more?”

“Oh, well, yeah. I was expecting a big Greek party.”

“Sadly, you were the only freshman that we were able to get.”

Mandy snorts. “Actually, we shouldn’t even be having you but Stacy here thought you were a girl. The ring you are wearing and twirling is a sorority ring.”

“And here I was thinking it was my hair.” I brush my long blondish brown hair off my shoulders with a hand flourish for effect. Both Stacy and Mandy laugh while I just grin.

As the laughs ebb, Stacy fills the silence. “Sorry about it. Most people find it very offensive to be mistaken. I was basing my view on mostly the ring, if that makes you feel any better.”

I grin again, “It’s alright, it’s not the first time and I’m sure it won’t be the last time that it will happen.”

Mandy gives me a knowing smile, “No I am sure it won’t be.”

Stacy gives Mandy a look. One of those, why did you say that looks. I wouldn’t think it was that big of a thing, but that look says otherwise. Maybe she is looking to go out with me, one can hope, but that’s probably just wishful thinking. Awkwardness hangs in the air, so I try to break it.

“If it is just going to be the three of use, then what are we going to do?”

Stacy gives me an apologetic look. “We actually were just going to talk, no games or drinking. Is that okay?”

Just what every guy wants to hear, not. “Yeah, sure that would be great.” So I have no interest in talking, what’s a little white lie going to hurt. “What did you want to talk about?”

“You,” Mandy and Stacy say at the same time.

I give them a questioning look, “okay. My name is Steve. I am a senior in high school trying to figure out where I am going to be attending in the fall. I have good grades, spend most of my time reading or keeping busy, I love scuba diving, I live with my Dad since my parents got divorced. My mom passed away when I was in elementary school, and this is her ring. I didn’t know where it’s from, but I thought it looked cool and it reminds me of her. But as you said a minute ago it’s a sorority ring so now I know. I love Italian food, but food in general is great. I watch all types of movies, Dramas to gore fests. And I learned to ride my bike on two wheels when I was in sixth grade. Don’t laugh, I had balance trouble.”

Feeling like I just poured my life story I glance over at their expectant faces, which are now lower since they decided to take a seat in my monologue. “How did I do?”

Stacy smirks and giggles, “Spectacular, A for effort!” Mandy gives me a thumb up.

I look between the two, “who is next?”

Stacy eagerly jumps at the opportunity. Poor Mandy never stood a chance. “You know me as Stacy but everyone back home calls me Sta’ci, whichever you prefer is fine. I grew up on a farm before my parents were assassinated for being a part of a rebel group to kill a tyrant when I was sixteen. I then started training with a monk in the Mountain Valley, which is literally a mountain inside of a giant valley, to learn my craft. That was where I met Mandy. When I was twenty and had perfected my craft, I came to this world to find the last Vlamir and its wielder.”

I burst out laughing, and turned to Mandy for her turn. “I’m Mandy, I was born here and when my parents said I was of age I went with them to the In-between to learn my craft. When I had finished learning it with them, I went to study with the same monk as Stacy and the rest is the same as her. Both of us have been searching for you. You are the wielder of the last Vlamir Steve, and we need you to come with us.”

Having two of them make a joke makes it much less funny. Being the wonderful gentleman that I am though, I laugh for Mandy’s joke. They both just sit there staring at me with eager eyes. “Very funny.”

“We are being very serious Steve, Mandy and I need you to come with us to the In-between.”

My mood shifted in an instant, I don’t know if it is the look in both of their gray, borderline white, eyes or the fact they aren’t laughing, but I can see they are deadly serious. “Thanks for inviting me over, it has been real fun and all but I need to get going home. My dad is going to be looking for me.”

I give them a passing wave good bye and start walking towards the door. Neither of them tries to follow, thankfully. I make it to the doorway of the room and run smack into an invisible wall. I panic and push my hand hard against it, only to be pushed back and sent lurching backwards. I look at the two of them with what I hope is a questioning look. Mandy comes to my rescue.

“I am sorry, Steve, but we cannot let you go, as we said we have mastered our craft. Although there is no reason to fear us, we will not hurt you. We are here to help you.” So apparently questioning wasn’t the look I gave them, or they could read minds too and see I am totally freaking out. Mandy decided to come to my rescue for that as well. “No, I cannot read your mind, unless you allow me access. I can feel what you feel inside of context. I am similar to what you would call an empath, only I can’t separate my feelings from yours distinctly.”

I look at Stacy, the once wonderful girl now seeming much scarier. Almost as if she could tell what I was asking for she gave me what I wanted. “My craft is not like Mandy’s. I cannot read emotions or make walls in space and time. I can see through time, in very brief intervals. I can also change my form based on the world I am in. In this one I can only be things which exist in it, but in the In-between I can be much more. I chose this form because I saw that it would appeal to you when I looked through time. Believe it or not, we have met hundreds of times in different forms without actually meeting. It’s kind of like that Nicholas Cage movie. This was the only form that you even considered showing up for.”

Guilt washes over my face. I know I can be a bit of a jerk at times, but I never thought of myself as shallow. Huh, I didn’t know that I disliked Greek life that much. I blame the portrayal in movies. Wait a minute, what am I thinking. I am thinking about movies when I just found out magic is real, I am going to be sucked into some In-between, and I have some amazing Vlamir thingy. Ship me off to Arkham, I have officially lost it on the way to Hogwarts. Yup, that last thought verifies it.

up
114 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Movie

It's called "Next", starring Nicholas Cage, Jessica Biel, and Julianne Moore. I think it came out in 2007.

Emily

Vlamir

So Mom would have been nabbed if she had not died early. Cool. Guess he is going to have to pick up the slack in her place. Wonder how they came into possession of the ring to start with. He didn't know anything, and they identified it as a Sorority ring, but which one? Obviously not any school he has heard of. Look forward to more.

Intriguing start here.

Oh, it's pretty clear where it's headed, in one respect at least, given where you're posting this story. *grin*

No, the intriguing part is just what is the Vlamir? And why is it so important? Oh, the prologue was a nice little teaser for fantasy fans like me, by the way.

That little flash of humor at the end was fun, too.

Maggie

I assume he's very close to starting a...

...menstrual ring cycle.

I'll get my coat.

Nice start to what looks to be a promising story.
I'm very much looking forward to seeing where you take this.

The Vlamir: The Last Wielder Chapter 1

The The Last Wielder of what?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hmmm, this story seems to

Hmmm, this story seems to have a lot of very interesting little facets to it. A couple being; where did the ring Steve has come from, here on Earth or on another planet or even another universe? Is Steve destined for girlhood and rather soon as Sta'ci did state she did believe him to be a girl when she first saw him/her. I am waiting to find out. Jan

Well

I guess the next thing Steve has to do is probing the ground - asking the girls why does he need to ho In-Between, what's the entire deal, and so on...

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Wow, a story about metal working or a modern sculptor in metals

The Last Welder

Oh, that was "Wielder".

Eye catching start what with the nasties in the prolog and the good guys, um, good girl(s) maybe(?) team here. Assuming they are on the side of good or at least the less evil side, there are bunch of questions that will need resolving.

As others have asked, maybe the biggest one of all is why? Why him, what is a Valdmir and why is it so important to the in-between or this other world Sta'ci came from? BTW Sta'ci said in the inbetween she could be many more forms and that as the gorgeous blonde this was the only form so far he seemed attracted to. Is she a guy in the other worlds or what or is that whats?

Is his mom's ring he's wearing significant? And as this IS BC, when does he become she?
-- grin --
Or was she always a she but was concealed/transformed into a seeming male by her mom to protect her. Remember over the years many have mistook him for a girl. Also he likes/keeps his hair long though he is attracted too beautiful women and not men but that could be part of the disguise or she's lesbian leaning. Why does this body appeal so strongly? Hum, is this current Stacy/Sta'ci a duplicate of the Valadmir's soon to be form or her own real form?

Assuming his late mom was the previous potential Vadmir, why and how did she die? Pure bad luck, disease or in a failed attempt by the shadowy bad guys to capture the Valdmir. Remember in the prolog the main baddie warned his hired hand to bring in the Valdmir alive, conscious and unharmed or something along those lines. No poison and so on. Hum, was the mom poisoned in an attempt to weaken her for capture and that's why she died?

Give me character motivations or give me death! Okay, a bit strong but you get my drift. Faboo start BTW.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Thanks

Thanks for all of the kind words. I can assure you that all of the questions you have now will be answered, as well as many new ones I am sure will arise as the story progresses. I have just finished a very very very rough sketch of the story and its prequel. I like where the story ended up, and hope you will feel the same way when things are finished.

As you go along, if you have questions at the end of a section, feel free to post them so I can ensure they are incorporated into the story if they are not already.