Encrypted-1

Printer-friendly version

Encrypted

I’ve never fit.
I mean nowhere.
Not in the “Real world” at least.

My parents were afraid of me. Ever since I was a little kid. I’m strange, I’ve always known I was strange…different than the other kids. I was what they called smart, really smart, smarter than most people. I know that I sound like I’m bragging but I’m not. I’m not really able to. You need to really get social nuances to be able to create a real falsehood. Being smarter than your parents, and not able to get the social nuances. I know what they meant by them expressing their love to me, but it’s so hard on you as a child when you can’t read the nuances of the people around you.

My mother left us when I was seven. She just up and left as far as I knew for years. When I turned 14 I found a note she left my father. She wasn’t able to “Deal” with a child who doesn’t love her back. Who thought more of math than of her love.

That hurt me. I feel hurt like everyone else it’s just sometimes I can’t get those feelings out right. All my contexts feel just so wrong and off. They always have felt this way

They say I’ve got Aspergers syndrome. I’m like that, but at the same time I’m not so sure. See I know when I’m being socially awkward but when I try to be social It goes blank, and it’s me not knowing what to do, how I feel …It’s like this. I can see a situation and I know how I should act, I know what’s socially acceptable but and needed but it’s not always so clear.

I have trouble with who I am. I always have known I wasn’t right. It’s nothing I’ve been able to pin down either. It’s like being a computer genius and knowing there’s something wrong in this program that’s me but I’m looking for lines of code in a programming language I don’t know.

I think my father was relieved when I moved out and started college at U of T (University of Toronto.) He was always there but he treated me very indifferently, he kept me always at a distance. He made the fact I knew I was different, that I wasn’t like anyone else almost a quantum state. That Mathew Grant, me and the way I am was a law of physics.
My flawed, strange self was a literal fact. This and the fact I was so…unliked, unwanted and even unseen in my home life and my time in school, all just exacerbated the entire situation of…who I am, Me having a really bad stutter never helped one bit. I felt so out of place, It got to where I though I was an alien.

I’m a mathematician, and an engineer as well as a computer programmer I went in studying for a triple degree. My work was really my life. My first set of degrees in my bachelors of sciences took me three years. I minored in music and dance. There’s math and physics in both to such an elegant way…I could lose myself in both.
I was just starting into my master’s degrees when the movie The Matrix came out. It fundamentally changed my life….The second and interlocking part was figuring out that I was transgendered.

My softwear wasn’t compatible to my hardware.

So how did I figure it out. I was at a faculty mixer. I would go as a guest to the professors that taught things that I was studying, they tried to include me in these events to court me to take a position as a gifted student into their departments. I was very uncomfortable in this position. I was uncomfortable in social situations like this.

Someone spiked my drink, I only had one drink it was purely a social convention I learned put those around me at ease but it overtook me really strongly. I left the party and needed some air. I ended up somehow down on Church Street in the rain and I remember hearing footsteps behind me. I didn’t register the danger cues. Not until I got shove in an alley from behind. A plastic grocery bag was pulled over my head tightly and I was beginning to suffocate. I didn’t do well with the stress of the moment. It was so out of my social norms that I panicked and had what I’ve been told is like an Autistic fit. I don’t have other way other way to describe just being so shaken your entire psyche goes offline. Actually getting really badly beaten shocked me out of it. I remember hearing.
“Jesus you were right he’s really a freak ain’t he.”
“Yeah, freak’s right off his nut. A smart freak.”
“Holy fuck look at the cash he’s got!”
“Yeah, yeah lets have some fun with him.”
That’s when they stripped me naked. I fought, That was a mistake because they pulled on the bag and choked me out. I freaked out again. I wet myself, and passed out.

I woke when hands touched me and I freaked out again. They took the bag off of my head and I could breathe again. I don’t know why I couldn’t take it off myself, I still don’t…I can’t touch plastic grocery bags anymore. Sometimes I can’t handle certain textures.

My rescuer looked at me during the pouring down rain. She was…beautiful and different. I mean very different. Beautiful women never came close to me. I’m never what they sought out in a mate. “Hey, hey can you talk?”
I nod. I don’t talk because I stutter so much.
“Are you alright?”
I shake my head no.
“I though you could talk?”
“Sssss,….Ssss…Ssus…Sorry.” I don’t look at her, I know that look will be there. Being naked and beaten and shivering wasn’t helping me. She lifted my chin and she looked at me. There was this look of…warmth? Compassion in her very pretty coffee eyes. It worked well with her wavy tumbly brown hair and her coffee and cream skin. Beautifully made up face. It was that kindness that made her beautiful.
“Shhush Baby, it’s okay…I get it.” She pulls off her long red raincoat and she wraps it around and over me shielding me from the rain. Her hair, clothes and make-up getting ruined and she doesn’t care. “C’mon honey can you walk?”
I nod yes again. She helps me up and starts to walk me out of the alley and down the street to her car. It’s a metallic blue Chevette that’s seen better days.
“I’m Brandy by the way.”
“Mmm…Mmmm…Mmuh…Mathew.” I hate doing that. If it was something technical, something not personal and I couldn’t see them it didn’t happen so much. This much personal stuff, this much one on one interaction was very anxiety inducing.

She opens my door first and get’s me inside. And then she gets in the drivers side. She turns the car on and heater up to full. We’re both shivering but she’s smiling and I don’t understand why.

She start to drive and she’s careful but I’m still scared. I don’t leave campus much…ever, routine in my friend. I have an apartment right near campus in a basement and I take the bus. I’m afraid of cars. I seen a car accident at nine and the destruction and the chaos and the blood just never left me. I’m barely able to keep it together, I’m counting my fingers one handed but I’m doing it with both hands. She’s going to hate me, I’m going to make her feel bad for being around me.

She…fiddles with the radio and turns it on and fiddles through it until I hear some classical music. I love this stuff, like I said I love music, it helps, it stops my hands. Brandy looks over and smiles at me. I smile back I’m not sure why she’s smiling but I know it’s better to just return it instead of doing nothing. Just a little one, too much smiling is bad. I’ve been told I was creepy.

She bites her lower lip. Is it a tick? “Mathew?, Do you want me to take you to the hospital?” I can’t, too many people. I shake my head no.
“The police station?” again I shake my head no.
“You’re place?” I nod.
I write my address in the fog on the window.
Brandy drives me home.
She’s nice enough to turn the music up.

When I get there she helps me. I don’t have my keys and that throws me into pacing and counting my fingers again. Brandy pressed the superintendents button until she woke him up. He was angry with me, he was more angry when he saw me and how I was dressed and looked at Brandy and called her a Tranny? And a Faggot? He wasn’t happy that he had to let me into my…the door swung open.

I’d been robbed.

They broke into my home, my apartment that was my place. It was the one place that was were I could be safe. I could be strange as I was and it was okay. If there’s anyone like me, then there’s this…this way I need things to be. It all grounds me and insulates me.

They took everything.
My computers, My instruments, my CD’s, DVD’s, My records., They took so much more.
They took everything.
What they didn’t they destroyed.

I’m not sure what’s going on when I come out of it. I vaguely remember rocking back and forth on the floor. The police are there and they ask me things. They keep asking me things hard and fast and it’s too much. Brandy gets me out of there after talking to them.

I lost track of time again. I don’t have my watch. I don’t have my watch. That’s bad.
She’s driving and not even the music helps.

We’re stopped and she helps me out of her car. She takes me into this small house. It’s small closed in but nice, orderly in a female way. She smiles at me. “Back with me?”
I nod.
“I’m so sorry honey, there wasn’t anything left.”
I nod but tears run out of my eyes. I’m wiping some of them away and she’s wiping others away. It’s very soothing.
“You said you didn’t have anybody to call.”
I nod. I don’t remember doing that though but considering everything that happened to me but I don’t understand why.
“You can stay with me until you get back on your feet.”
I try a smile.
“I hope you uhm don’t mind rooming with someone like me.”
I really didn’t understand but nodded. Brandy was probably the nicest human being that I’ve ever known.

The big big smile was a nice reward. People are put off by me, She wasn’t. It was a strange experience.

“You’re still freezing and hurting here I’ll show you where you can get a hot bath or a shower.”

She takes me into a very female decorated bedroom and to the bathroom that’s part of that. “Make yourself at home, I’ll get some clothes to for you and something hot to drink.” I let her take away the raincoat and I’m nervous for awhile until the furnace kicks in. The mechanical blowing sound is soothing to me then so is the music that starts playing in the main part of the home.

I opt for the bath. I like baths as hot as I can get them even in the summertime. I love sliding underwater and this place has an old claw footed bathtub. Brandy must enjoy baths too. I slide in and soak, I cry a little at the heat touching my bruises and just soak for awhile before soaping up my smooth skin. Yes I keep myself free of hair and I’ve never really had much on my face but body hair is distracting, it’s a texture thing so I’ve used various creams and stuff to delete it from my body. I finish by shampooing my hair I’m lucky that I see she has Head & Shoulders there… I have a thing about using only certain things too sometimes. In high-school they used to call me “K-mart Sucks” and “Counting Cards” and “Jenny” I’m not retarded, I’ve seen Rain-Man and Forest Gump. I’m not saying that I understood the nuances of the stories like everyone else. But I got what my tormentors meant.

I use Brandy’s hairdryer and she comes into the bathroom. “Uhm, I don’t really have any guys clothes anymore. I’m sorry but it’s all I have.” She’s looking down. The clothes she’s offering are women’s clothes. I’m upset or more truthfully unbalanced by it. I pace in the bathroom and look at her, pace some more and look at her. Brandy isn’t looking at me. “I’m sorry Mathew but these are the least girly things I have.”
I don’t get the nuances of people but I know my own expression on her face.
She’s afraid of not being accepted.
I take the clothes. “Iiiiiit’s Okaaay, bb..Bb..Beggars can’t be Ch..Choosers.” I try a smile, just a small one. “Yyyy…You’re C..C..Cold Tt..Too.” frustrated I gesture at the bathtub.
“Yes I need a hot shower. There’s a kettle of hot water on the stove, there’s teabags and instant coffee in the cupboards.”
I nod.
Then because it’s supposed to be nice give I give her a light kiss on the cheek. Brandy gives me that smile again. I give her a small smile back then head out into the bedroom.

I’ve never put on women’s clothes before and I pull the panties over my legs and every neuron in my skin lights up. The satiny silkiness on me…is just so…The tightness over my hips and the way they pull everything snugly together in…Snug is good, tight spaces is good to me, I…I had a weighted blanket that I’ve had bought from a site for things that sooth autistic kids. It soothed me too. This is too. The top is a strange kind of tank top and the pants are like an odd gym pant but the material is softer for both. They fit because I’m skinny, I..I have a thing about food textures too. I live on peanut butter, I like crunchy like in vegetables There’s a scent to them I like. I use the brush at her table, dresser with the mirror. I smell that good scent from a bottle and smell the contents. I dab some onto my finger sniff it then put a little on under my shirt. It’s vanilla like, soothing and pleasing to my senses.

I slip into the kitchen and find the things she told me about. I make a mug of hot chocolate, two one for each of us. Large marshmallow in first then some milk or coffee cream, she has this hazelnut flavored stuff. I finger count to decide or rather until I decide. I’m sorry I have habits. I pour a little over the marshmallow. Then I use a third mug to mix the powdered hot chocolate with the water, it’s not right if you can’t pour hot chocolate over the milk and marshmallow. I know…I’m…I just can’t do it any other way.

I have to wash up the cup and the three spoons I used to make it. Yes I Have to use a different spoon for each cup. I just do.

I take mine after I cover her’s with a saucer so it will stay hot and I walk around looking at Brandy’s home. I can’t judge because I don’t know but it’s a bit run down. And very female? But not really having been around many females to this extent I am really just guessing. It tugs at the memories of my mother I think and I find it soothing. I like that it’s small. I think the word may be cozy.

But there’s also something else…walking around like this, smelling like this, and everything has gotten me aroused. I can feel it starting, I think. I’ve never really had that much experience with arousal.

I’m kind of swaying to the music and really loving the shift and movement of my panties as I’m dancing, or sort of. I know how I’m a good dancer. I do that for awhile with my eyes closed. I don’t bump into things because I know where everything is. I have good memory, and I have to know it that well, I just do.

“Mmm, this is really good Mathew, thank you.”
“It’s okay…you’re welcome.”
“You’re not stuttering?”
“I’m…I’m, not…”
“No…? You’re not…” She walks over close to me. “Wow…”
“Wow…?”
“You look pretty, very feminine.”
“I do…?”
There’s no urge to finger count, I don’t need to pace or rock. Okay I feel my fingers twitchy like I really want to but I can fight it off. Brandy takes me by the hand to the bedroom and to her dresser. “See?” she gestures at the mirror.

I do look like a female.

And it started, right there and then. It was like my hardware was starting to match my software. I felt less not me. The more I looked the more solid? The more me I looked.
And the more aroused I was getting. Brandy didn’t say anything about it and she took combs and brushes. And worked at my hair. The sheer soothingness of her doing that made fresh tears spill out. She wiped them away. I saw her aroused through her thin robe. Her breasts had pointed nipples and she too had a aroused penis.
“You have a penis?”
“Yes…I…I though you knew, your landlord called me a tranny.”
“I don’t know what that is.”
“You don’t?”
“No.”
“How?”
“How? If someone doesn’t know something then they don’t know it. Is it slang?”
“Uhm, yeah.”
“Oh…I have problems with slang, I sometimes don’t understand it.”
“It means Transvestite or it can mean transsexual or transgendered.”
“Oh…Oh…Are you transsexual or transgendered.”
“I’m Transgendered but borderline transsexual.”
“Oh this explains why you have breasts. Was it surgery?”
She nods, but she’s looking at my face like she’s searching for something.
“Mathew, why aren’t you freaked out by this?”
“It’s who you are, if it’s really who you are then it’s you. I assume that it is because you’ve gone through surgery to make yourself look like a female. I cannot fault anyone for being who they are.”
“A lot of people do.”
I look her in the eyes. “I know.”
She smiles a little at me. “Yeah you do.”
“You are a nice person Brandy, I know that you are the best person I’ve ever met.”
She blushes, it’s really comely with her complexion. “Really…” she whispered it kind in a hushed tone. Two tears slide down her cheeks. I wipe them away.

She takes me by the hand and leads me to the bed and lays me down. Brandy gives me my very first kiss. I think I understand what the fuss is about. “That was my first kiss. Thank you.” Brandy blinks at me. “I was you’re first kiss?”
I nod.
“Ever?”
“Yes, ever I have a very good memory, I don’t forget things. It was my first kiss or at least since I was three.”
“Your Mother didn’t even kiss you?”
“Not since I was three. I scared her because I was different, she left when I was seven.”
“Oh Mathew.”
“Yes?”
I don’t get why she, he…no she; because it is who she is…..I don’t get why she’s shaking her head and smiling at me as she leans in and kisses me. I am starting to like this kissing thing. In between the kisses she has her hand down my panties and her hand is stroking me, her fingers play with my testes. I’m stunned at how good it feels, how impossibly good this feels and she asks me. “So why aren’t you stuttering, I’ve known guys who stutter, and there’s usually very little that can be done outside of speech therapy.”
“It is all of this…the clothes, they’re doing something that…oh…Brandy…feels more right to me than I’ve ever known before…I’m different…I’m not a normal person and…and…this makes me feel normal…oh Brandy I’ve never felt normal before!”

I explode in her hands and in my heart…I…I’ve had fits, I cried but it’s never been like this. Not like this, just like everyone else and the pleasure from my first orgasm just knocked ant walls that might have been there. I curl over onto my side and cry, I bawl like a baby for a long time. I’ve got twenty eight years of tears that I didn’t know how to get out right coming out. Crying like that in bed shouldn’t be something a woman would want in her bed. But Brandy pulls me to her breasts and rocks me and holds me and she sings to me. I could not have stopped myself from falling in love with her if I tried.

I never would have thought to try.
I didn’t understand people most of the time.
I never thought I would find someone who doesn’t seem the be afraid of me.
My weirdness.
I never though I’d find somebody to love.

I slowly look at Brandy. “I love you.”
She looks at me. Oh…oh..no, I said something wrong…….
“What…?” he voice is small, quiet.
“I…I…I…Ll..lll…Luv…you.” I’m scared now the stutters back and it hurts, It hurts worse than my bruises. It’s like I’ve been kicked in my heart.
Brandy looks at me, then moves and straddles me and takes my face in her hands a her hair tumbles down around be like a lovely curtain. “You love me?” She’s really intense right now. “Yes.”
“You’re not lying to me?”
“No, I can’t.”
“You can’t?”
“No, I don’t understand people, all the things they do or why they do them enough to lie.”
“…..” There’s tears falling down her face, her nose onto mine. “You love me…really love me, like you are in love with me.”
“Yes…” I turn my face away from hers and I’m crying again.
Brandy reaches out and turns my head so I’m facing her again. “Mathew? What’s wrong.”
“I love you…but…but…I’m not normal, I’m strange, people avoid me, don’t like me, I’m…a freak…I love you but…once you…you start to know me you’ll…hate me…”
I can’t hold back the tears, and sobs come out and I can’t help but close my eyes to the tears that pour out of me.

Brandy wipes those tears away… “Mathew…Mathew…Mattie? I love you too. I’m falling in love with you too….”
“Really…?”
“Yeah, really. Do you care that I’m transgendered?”
“No.”
“Do you care that I’ve got the same equipment as you?”
“You do? I can finish my work here?!”
She laughs but not hurtfully. “I mean sexually.”
“You don’t, I don’t have breasts.”
She laughs again, kisses me again. “You know what I mean.”
I don’t, or rather I’m not sure about it until I think about it. “No, I fell in love with you, you are you so how can I have a problem with it.”
That earned me another kiss.
“You don’t care that I’m black?”
“You’re black? I though with you’re complexion you would be mixed ethnic.”
“It’s the same thing to a lot of people.”
“Not to me, ethnicity doesn’t matter.”
Another kiss and she leaks a few tears. I wipe them away.
“Then Mattie, Dear heart if you can accept these things about me then I can love you not matter what.”
“Promise…?”
“I promise.”

Brandy kisses me then she slides down my body and gets me aroused again. She gives me my first introduction to oral sex. Then slides back up once she revived my arousal and lowered herself onto me….I like sex, I like sex a lot even when she used a lubricant on me and entered me. I enjoyed that far more than I though I would too. It made things clearer to me and she was very tender. I’m sorry if I could not get graphic about this, I don’t know how to explain it right without getting to technical. I don’t want to make it seem mechanical. it wasn’t, it was beautiful, it was freeing and uniting and organic in this real way.

I still was very sore and very tired. I loved, loved this spooning thing. I love being held. Physical security is soothing to me, very soothing to me. I loved being curled up in her arms her breasts pressed against me. “Mathew…I love you.” Brandy whispered into my ear. “Call me Madison……Brandy?”
“Yes beloved?”
“I think I might be transgendered too.”
“I think you might be too love.”
“Is that okay?”
“I love you no matter what Madison.”
“Good…G’night.”

And that’s how I figured out that I am transgendered. But what does that have to do with The Matrix? It clicked that night when I was sound asleep and my brain just kept processing something. It was the zero and one thing that is the basics of how computers work. Really it’s how the universe could work. Everything, everything sub-atomic is just programming strings of equations bound together to create the…to create…everything.

It was morning and I’d been awake for about an hour smiling…I had love and I had figure something really big out. Huge and scary. But very, very amazing. In my hand I created in my hand this tiny space where I was making this tiny little electric spark jump out of my palm by turning off all the energy pathways in my hand except for two and this little bit of my own electrical field was jumping from one point to another.

My whole universe just opened up to become this whole infinite thing.
It’s all there underneath it all.
It’s all Encrypted.

up
258 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Okay, I want to see more of it!

I have to admit, I was very confused at first, but then it all suddenly gelled and I couldn't stop. Very interesting, Bailey. I would definitely like to read more of this. Oh, and the hot cocoa with hazelnut cream? My absolute favorite! Now I have to go buy some hazelnut creamer. Ah well.
I'm really hoping this wasn't a one shot. It was just starting to get really good! More, please! (Oh no, another series to share with Snakes & Laddrs!)
You just continue to surprise me. As I've said before, it's like unwrapping a present, and I love it!

Love you (and Jonelle!)

Wren

Thanks Wren:)

We love you too sweetheart.

I think that yes I'm going to continue this. It was getting really interesting to write as I went more and more into things with Madison/Mathew. I'm not sure when things will rotate into my writing center but yeah I can see things going on in this longer. I'm not one for fru-fru coffee but that hot chocolate idea was curtesy of one of the french nurses I work with. The stuff is much better in hot chocolate.

Thanks pretty firebird.

Bailey Summers

Hot chocolate

I use the Hazelnut creamer too! but I add another thing which is Powdered Malted Milk and it makes the hot chocolate that much better !

Danielle_O

"Life is pain, anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something."

divider_001a.jpg
Danielle_O

"Life is pain, Princess ~ anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something."

Me too Wren.

Imagine my surprise when I looked at the categories and saw my name among others there. I'm seriously wondering if you're a mind reader Baily! Now I know we reveal tremendous lots about ourselves here in our comments, blogs, and stories. However you really went to the center of things with the Aspenger’s syndrome and poor Matthews other problems. Actually some of his problems seem like a more serious case of Autism with the having to do things in certain orders and ways.

I also totally get the incompatible software and hardware problems. LOL Zoe Brain at her site AE Brain is a lot like this, but a little different having a very rare form of intersex. http://aebrain.blogspot.com/

I do hope you continue this.

Very very big hugs!
Grover

I wanted for a long time...

To write something that I though you and some of the other people here I admire and care about here would like. This came out of left field and it had been percolating for quite some time actually. I've known a few people like Madison and yeah as different to us as they seem to be, they are great people and really relateable.
I had no idea if this would land home with anyone but I'm glad it did. I also like having a kind of science fiction series to write too. I've had a hard time with finding a voice for that part of my brain.

I'm glad that you liked it. And very grateful for the very, very awesome hugs too.

Bailey Summers

Loved it

yes that's what I said "I Loved It". like the comments from the last person I was confused at first but then it gelled.

Bailey you have the gift! I'm definitely going to read ALL your stuff now!

Danielle_O

"Life is pain, anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something."

divider_001a.jpg
Danielle_O

"Life is pain, Princess ~ anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something."

Wonderful insight

This is a touching story told from a very different point of view. I have some good friends with Asperger's and have learned about how it affects one's view of the world. You have done a great job of encapsulating some of what goes on inside.

I have not seen a first person narrative written from this perspective before and I am impressed and moved by how well you've done this.

Thanks for giving such a sensitive and compassionate voice to my friends.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Thank you, I tried

To get myself into the character to where i was counting on my fingertips to try to feel the habit of it. She/Madison is a little bit of both disorders and she's an amalgam of some of my experiences with people I care about that are like this.
God I'm not even sure that disorder is the right word for people with Asperger's I just kind of started writing and it had a really great flow once I slid into Madison's headspace. My only hope is that I don't offend anyone by writing this in the first person.
I don't have Asperger's or very high functioning Autism so I really could have got things really wrong.

Oh, I love your picture very cute.

Bailey Summers

Getting into the character's head

It is a wonderful thing when you can get into your character's head (or is it the other way around?) There comes a point in time where you are just taking dictation from them.

My writing expertise lends itself more to dialog as opposed to story telling. It makes me a decent playwright and editor, but not as good as a story writer. (Never have been quite able to figure that one out... maybe it's like Shakespeare, who really only retold existing stories, just told them better.)

I have two dear friends with Asperger's, one who was my room mate for about a year. It was a real eye opener.

I agree about whether to call it a disorder. Like being transgendered, it is a different way of experiencing and observing the world. It is difficult for 'outsiders' to understand... they have no referent for the experience. I have likened it to describing what it's like to have a tail. We know what tails are and mostly how they work, but no first hand knowledge of actually having one.

Thanks for your kind words on my pic. About the only similarities that I have with it are that I am actually a girl, I am a red head (from blonde, about a year ago), and I play a Fender bass. Though my wife, Denise, agrees with you that I'm cute *blushes*. But then as most girls, most everything is subject to change without notice.

I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

A little confusing at first.

Then all of a sudden I got it. Having worked in the medical profession for many years I recognized the problems Matthew was having and then it all made sense. A particularly wonderful sense because Matthew/Madison has finally found someone who just accepts what he is and takes him for him/herself.

No on has mentioned Brandy so far, so I will. Matthew is very fortunate to have been found by such a kind, loving and understanding person.

And okay, I want to see some more of this one, too.

Maggie

I like the character of Brandy.

She's a different touch for me. I come from a very mixed ethnic family. I've seen the hurt from some of my mixed ethnic cousins and friends when they experienced racial slurs and prejudices. Brady has suffered under that as well as being transgendered where in the black community it can be seen and treated sometimes even more harshly as it can be in white families. I had a cousin who is of color and gay and we he came out to his immediate family it got spread around fast and got badly beaten by his other cousins. I want to touch on some of this with her character.

Thanks:)

Bailey Summers

interesting

I worked with a few Asperger's patients, but none who were also transgendered. I like how she lost her stutter when she started wearing female clothes. It is wonderful to find a place where you fit, and even better to find someone to fit with. Very, very, nice.

"Treat everyone you meet as though they had a sign on them that said "Fragile, under construction"

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

I grew up with a stutterer

I kind of wanted to show how painful it was in this story to and how freeing just being able to just talk normally can be.

Bailey Summers

Bailey I am so Humbled and proud to have been included.

Did you know that what makes a computer a computer is the Arithmetic register.
With binary and the ability to left or right shift a register you can multiply or divide.
Eg. If you left shift once from 2 to the power of zero which = 1, then it becomes 2 to the power of 1 which = 2, so you have effectively multiplied by 2. Do this @ 1 million times a nanosecond with a register of 96 0&1's then you may appreciate why science can interpret the Gene code etc.

And interpret the Universe! Cure Cancer, Fly to another Galaxy?

The mind boggles, and it's as simple as 0&1?

Sorry Bailey I diverse, I loved the story, Thank you.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

I'm so glad

and happy to include you in this. I wrote this like everything else and on the fly as I do with nearly everything. I've worked along side both people with Aspegers and a highly functioning Autistic person and loved doing it. I've had some of what they and others like them explained to me by those people. The way they can see the world amazes me more than any negative.
Your analogy of computational science and physics is actually perfect. It's also what Madison is starting to discover, that you can with the exact right focus turn those switches on and off in the universe and that everything like in the matrix is a line or lines of code.
On or off, is or isn't.
If you apply that power/theory to say compute the number sequence for 1+2 equaling 3 then if you took a different 1 and another different set of ones then...one hydrogen meets two oxygen and then you've got water.
The grand/great encryption.
Did I get that right?

Bailey Summers

I am very different too.

Bailey:
What you wrote just resonated with me so very much! None of you knew me before. You don't know what I was like before. I was never autistic; at least no one said so. I always worried about the social nuances; wondered if I was getting it right; was always afraid that I didn't: worried that I would offend someone, or they'd see how stupid I was, or how funny I looked.

I was weird; moody; loved other people, but was just too bottled up to express it. I was 57 when I came out. You don't want the whole story, but I remember the day I started dressing full time. I still have that skirt; can't get in it damn it. :)

One saturday morning, I got up, got dressed in my stockings with garter belt, Padded Bra, White Blouse, and heels. I took a deep breath, and walked out the door. (OH yeah, wore a wig too. ) LOL I was very pissed and determined. Drove over to my first ever Gender Support group. Somehow I did not mesh with them, and never have since.

But while I was there, I just decided I was gonna be the best woman I could. After that day, I never looked back. It is a good thing that the people from my past don't either, don't care and can't find me.

I really do understand how being a woman can just fix so many things. I really really do.

I loved your story.

Ma Salaama

Khadijah

We all love you too!

Just give us a call and we'll be there, wherever you are, we'll be there!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Ditto on the love you part Khadijah:)

I love that you keep finding my stuff interesting and can find something in there. When I seen your comment the first thing I thought of was that really bad fall you took as a child. But I love the comments you make anyway, they always let me see parts of my story and characters through the eyes of another.

Thank you very, very much.
Much peace.

Bailey Summers

Bailey, You Are Such a Sweetheart!

I didn't read the small print before the story until I read Grover's comment. Wow!! Someone else knows I exist; who'd have thunk it. :-D

I'm a lot less autistic than Maddy, but I was extremely clumsy when young. That is one of the markers of differential diagnosis between other Autism and Asperger's. I always could talk pretty well if it were on some technical issue and I could understand what others were saying, too. I high school I frequently did something that I enjoyed. A kid would ask a question or reply to a teacher and the teacher's response told me that the teacher didn't understand what the kid was saying, so I translated for both of them. I don't think I got any brownie points, but I liked it and sometimes the kid would look relieved.

Of course, in social chit chat, I very frequently said something embarrassing or inapropriate. Sometimes I would know that I'd blundered soon after opening my mouth, but sometimes what I said seemed logical to me and I didn't know why the others didn't like it.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Blunders in social chit-chat!

If the X President of the USA can do it so can you!

Our prime minister (in OZ - Australia) does it all the time.

Take care!

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

I really wanted

to give this subject a voice for some of the people here that don't talk about any of this. I wanted to try and get it out in the first person way so maybe some of the other people who don't have to deal with this and don't know what it's like to live with this altered perspective and altered senses that people with Aspergers or Autism live with.
I was kind of scared about writing it from the 1rst persons perspective. I wanted it to seem and to feel real. I didn't want to offend anyone either.
Plus I wanted to show how they can have relationships and be trangendered just like anyone else.

I really hope I did Justice to all of it so far.

Bailey Summers

Thank you!

Bailey,
Thank you for showing us the side we sometimes fail to see, or maybe refuse to see. Yes, I think differently than others, see things from a slightly different angle sometimes (as a friend teases, I see things from a different dimension). Unlike the protagonist in your story, I am functional, but only because I had to become a chameleon, able to take any role to survive. Eventually, though, you lose who you are and need a shock to bring you back from the edge, before the abyss pulls you in. Again, thank you for the wonderful story; if you wish to continue it, that would be good, although it works well on its own. Take care and hugs
Diana

ps have you by chance read "The Speed of Dark" by Elizabeth Moon? Fascinating tale and worth the read. Like "Flowers for Algernon", it is about choice and deciding if changing is worth the risks of the unknown and so like the "choice" to transition, which truly is not so much a choice as an imperative

I'm really glad that I wrote this:)

See I knew that Renee was part of this group but you and the others I actually didn't. I love the fact that (No offence to anyone else out there reading.) are regular commentators in my stories if not regular readers and are amongst some of the smartest people I know.
Getting the responses I've gotten I'm more glad than ever that I chose the characters in it so far that I have.
It's one of those cool whoa...moments for me right now. I'm going to continue it because it's the only real bit of science fiction I'm actually writing and I've wanted to see if I could write a science fiction bit.
I own both those books, I loved Flowers since we read it in Junior high. We had a hippy teacher with really eclectic tastes. I love Elizabeth Moon's stuff and she's a brilliant writer. i'd love to see Speed of the Dark in a high school english curriculum, it'd show and teach kids nowadays a much needed lesson in another perspective.

Thanks Dianna:)

Bailey Summers

Wow

This one for me, too? I am honored.

Yeah, I can see this happenning, somehow, in a way. So now world will have to deal with a clinically honest socially awkward lady with Awesomeness by Analysis and Powers as Programs (sort of). Now that's a tough one for them! :D

Be vewy afwaid. ;)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Seeing outside the box

I totally get the whole seeing outside the box thing. I'm always noticing things that others just don't seem to get. Little things like being aware of bread mold before it is actually visible. I'm very aware of the 'sweet' smell from it as well as a similar one from milk. It sounds small but it causes problems when I refuse the stuff when everyone else insists they're still okay. LOL

Being seriously hard of hearing, sounds don't get me too often any more, but I've 'found' several useful items while driving. I see them in that split second of going by, and stop. Amazing the stuff you can find.

So yes it is like living in a different world from everyone else.

I'm so looking forward to more of Mattie and Brandy's story. They are both such wonderful characters with so much to offer others if only given the chance.

Big Hugs!
Grover

enjoyable

Enjoyable story, would like to read more of Madison & Brandy.

Grace & Luck be unto ye!

Grace & Luck be unto ye!

Wow

This was a special read. The title is a real draw - pulls you right in - and I loved the way you handled the first person perspective. Mattie/Maddi's inner and outer voices are spot on.

I wish it were really so easy to resolve issues like this with a simple change of paradigm, but then I'm no expert on Aspergers/Autism. This is the kind of creative writing that deserves encouragement, which I'm glad to see you have received. For my part I will leave my red pen in the drawer and join in the applause.

Thank-you,

M

Maeryn Lamonte, the girl inside

Wow

Wow, just wow...

“Do you care that I’ve got the same equipment as you?”
“You do? I can finish my work here?!”

That got me laughing... so in character but so unexpected.

Awesome characters, interesting tale... I need to read the sequels...

Thank you for writing,
Beyogi

This was just some thing

that called for me to write. I read a few bits of fiction with a character like Maddy but with so many great and wonderful people here that are so "different" I wanted to show that in a story.

Bailey Summers

Oh Wow

I wonder if anybody has actually thought of clothing options for people with aspergers or autism. Great story. It really caught my attention and I'm going to read the rest of the installments.

I was wondering about that too Cliff.

I wonder if there's anyone on site that's an expert? Thank you so much for the Wow, Wows are awesome. I'm glad you liked it.

Bailey Summers

Clothes

That's a good question! One of the things that stick out to me is buttons. You know that geeky guy who has the top button of his shirt buttoned? I guess it's kinda a OCD kind of thing about not leaving buttons undone. Why put it there if it's not meant to be used? Some fabrics particularly the old polyesters, the textures are maddening! Comfort is very important, and small things most folks don't notice like the tags inside the clothes can really bother those with sensory problems.

Here is a nice site talking about some of the daily living problems for affected kids but it also works for adults as well.
http://oreilly.com/medical/autism/news/tips_life.html#Clothing
another is
http://www.eileenparker.com/2010/04/garanimals-for-adults-wi...
Hugs!
Grover

Huge Thanks Grover!

One I love that this story is still generating talk about Autism and Aspergers but it's also bring great stuff like the links you put up here. I really love this, even you explaining your own deal with the buttons is awesome really. Now myself I knew some people have those pressure/weighted blankets so I was kind of wondering about the snugness of some women's clothes being a soothing thing for some people.

*Huge Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Fashion emergencies!

I'm afraid most of those with Autism/Aspergers would be regarded as fashion emergencies! Comfort with soft materials like cotton, comes first. Things like clothing tags, seams, and other things most folks don't notice will really bug us. Additionally, there are issues with how collars fits around the neck. I haven't found anything about close fitting clothing feeling better, although there are many mentions of stretch fitting jeans being much more comfortable.

Like most everything else there is a lot of variance too. Some like tight fitting socks and such around their legs while others can't stand them. I've also seen several mentions of skateboarding shoes because they usually have more padding.

Mix in there the usual cross-dressing feelings and it can get complicated. It just feels right and comfortable. It could very well be that she'll be able to wear more feminine fashions more comfortably.

However in this case, the overcoming fashion disaster has a cure! I don't think for an instant that a certain someone will let her leave the house looking unpresentable! :)

hugs
Grover

About Aspergers

I read that Aspergers patients had somekind of super male brains. How does that work with Mathew? I kind of wonder if there are m2f transgendered asperger patients. But then I guess everything is possible.

Yes

That is one of theories. However Zoe Brain at AE Brain who is intersexed also has an Autusim spectrum disorder. Her story is very interesting, male had a child, but her body started changing on its own! Yes, it does happen, if rarely.

Those researchers has zoomed in one area ignoring evidence that doesn't support their ideas.

As Zoe would say a part of the puzzle but certainly not all of it. :)

http://aebrain.blogspot.com/
Lots of information about the gender varient and intersex here.
Hugs!
Grover

H

I’ve had a lot of correspondence with Zoe Brain

over the past few years as my case is very similar to her’s. Like Zoe, I was born with an intersex condition that so far my doctors have been unable to identify. Like Zoe, I started to under go a spontaneous sex change from male to female that was preceded by a rapid and drastic weight loss. I lost over 60 lbs in just 3 months while at the same time I started growing breasts. While there are hundreds of documented cases of spontaneous female to male sex changes (FtM), with large clusters of incidence in the Dominican Republic and Palestine, where as cases of spontaneous male to female sex changes are extremely rare. To date there are only 30 other documented cases of MtF spontaneous sex changes. My case makes the total number of known cases 31. To date, there is no one doing any research on this unusual condition due to the very small number of cases.

While I’ve never been test or diagnosed with having an autism spectrum disorder, I do exhibit several characteristics of one. Before undergoing my changes I was socially awkward and very uncomfortable with myself, having few friends and keeping mostly to myself. I also will not do a task until I have things just so and once I start on something I focus on it with a laser like intensity and work on it to the exclusion of everything else, including eating and sleeping. Since undergoing my transformation and switching to living full time as female, all that has completely changed. My friends and my therapist have all been blown away by the very dramatic changes that I’ve gone through. I know how hard it is to believe that spontaneous MtF can happen, as I’ve had a hard time believing it myself in spite of actually experiencing it first hand. At times I feel very much like I living someone’s TG fiction story, but what happened to me is all to real.

Tamara Jeanne

Oh there are MTF Asperger girls.

out there just look at some of the comments and you'll see some here right on this site. I don't know actual case numbers and all that but if there super male brain is the case then I'd have to wonder about all the GG's with Aspegers too I mean wouldn't they almost be FTM by that logic? I think like a lot of things Aspergers has little to do with gender identity or genetic sex.

Bailey Summers

Shameless Self Promotion

Andrea Lena's picture

...Please (pretty please with sugar on top) consider my Serenity - series or novelette. Having worked with kids in the broad spectrum of autism, I have to agree with your assessment. In my experience, there seems to be no difference between the linear thinking folks (that's 'us' ) and folks who are AS.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

I have Serenity on my to read list.

I've been a fan of the show and own the DVD's and the Movie, I know you'll do it justice. River definitely would fit somewhere into this spectrum. I'm glad that I didn't get anything too wrong and offend anyone writing this. I'm really glad at the way it's still generating conversation on the subject.

Bailey Summers

Thanks for the

Thanks for the information... I guess I was deceived by the averages ;) And a test that put my emotional intelligence on aspergers niveau. Since I filled it out myself I guess I just have a bad selfimage ^^.
They used somekind of EQ, SQ rating and aslong as your EQ was under your SQ rating you had a male brain. Well whatever... I thought that was kind of interesting since my SQ was in the female region, which was something I didn't really expect.

I guess it shouldn't have been too unexpected since I write this crap here... I guess I just have a "female" need to communicate ^^

Lol forget it - thanks for the information. Andrea Lena, I think I'm going to read your series.

Wow!

Yeah, it's taken me a while to start reading this,1, but who cares?! As others have said, you really have the ability to get inside your characters' heads and present their thoughts and narration 'as is' - which I suppose helps draw the readers into their world.

So, what have we here? Matthew was beaten, robbed and left to die (the plastic bag could have caused asphixiation if left on long enough); it's likely that since the assailants left him alone various people waked on by (you'll see where I'm going with this in a bit), then a Good Samaritan arrives and takes care of him (just like, erm, the original chap from Samaria) and unwittingly helps Matthew make a life-changing decision before becoming Madison's Love Interest (yeah, I was TV Troping earlier, so what?!).

Yet although the plot is very formulaic, it works - even more so given that both main characters are society's equivalent of Samaritans - outcasts that are shunned and rejected by the majority. It works well as a solo, so it'll be interesting to see where you've taken this in future chapters - especially if the electric spark at the end is physical rather than metaphorical...

(Hmm... maybe it's time I poured a glass of wine and dulled my senses enough to not over-analyse future chapters!)

(1) After enjoying Jem so much, I thought it was about time I started examining some of your other stories... especially since you appear to be rather prolific recently!


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Thanks so much Mittfh:)

It's tried and true but pretty different that it in some respects. I wanted two different takes on the main characters and to get into a different headspace but I do tat a lot as you can guess.
I'll really enjoy your comments and input:
Heck I always enjoy your comments.
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Good start

to what I think is going to be an interesting and enjoyable read. Looking forward to reading the next chapters.

Hugs,
Tamara Jeanne