Lulu - 4 - Girls, Girls, Girls

Printer-friendly version
lululogo.pngluluhead.jpg

Lulu

A Dark Comedy About Mistaken Identity

Chapter 4 - Girls, Girls, Girls

by Lulu Martine

When I woke up the room seemed full of women. Tall women, mostly blonde, wearing too much makeup and talking in voices that were either too deep or strangely shrill. Mostly it was just noise because none of them were talking to me, just to each other.

The big blonde from before, Alice(?), had yielded her place at my bedside to a slinky, black woman who nevertheless had blonde hair and blue-green eyes. She looked at me, saw I was awake and whispered, "Wishes really do come true, don't they, honey?"

I started to speak but remembered that I wasn't supposed to talk and pointed at the keyboard. She handed it to me. One of the other girls, t-girls(?), noticed and exclaimed, "Hey, she's awake."

This provoked a chorus of people calling out, "Lulu!" and "How do you feel?" and "Congratulations, new girl, you!" and Alice saying, "She can't talk yet, she has to use the keyboard."

I tried to type but all that came out was garble. I couldn't get my thoughts straight. Something had happened that I didn't understand. Who were all these people, why did they keep calling me Lulu and she? Why were they so congratulatory?

What the hell had happened to my life? Where were my parents? I wanted to ask for a cellphone, even if I couldn’t talk, I could message my folks. Or someone. But I couldn’t make my fingers hit the right keys.

I didn't realize I had started crying until Alice confirmed it. "Why the tears, cupcake?" she asked.

The room got quieter. I made strangled sobbing noises that hurt my throat.

Alice said, "Maybe you guys better leave, doctor says she can come home tomorrow. We can have a big party by the pool."

"Yeah, okay," someone said. "Don't cry, birfday girl," someone else said. "We'll see you tomorrow, Lulu," and, "Goodnight, baby girl."

Were these people crazy? I wondered.

Alice walked everyone out then came back and sat by my bed. "Too much?" she asked.

I nodded. She handed me tissue from the little box on the tray table and I wiped my eyes. One hand wandered down to my chest and I felt the shape under the gown. Breasts. I had breasts?

I lifted the top edge of the gown and looked under it. Yes, I had two large breasts on my chest. There seemed to be bandages under them and in my armpits but there they were, breasts.

"I'm a boy," I siad in a squeaky whisper, not caring that I wasn't supposed to talk. It hurt and I touched the bandages on my throat.

"Don't talk," Alice warned, handing me the keyboard again.

"y tits?" I typed. I forgot about asking for a cellphone for the moment.

She blinked after reading it. "Well, you got breast implants, honey. You...." She stared at me. "Are you that confused?"

I don't know exactly what happened then. I sort of remembered the dream I'd had and maybe I realized just what had happened. That the hospital had given me a sex change intended for someone else. That Alice thought I was this person who had wanted a sex change.

I went into shock and hysterics or I fainted or something. A nurse came in and gave me a shot and I went to sleep again.

I remember thinking just before the sedative hit that I hoped I didn’t dream about the operation again. Maybe part of me hoped I would not have to wake up at all.

up
172 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Lulu - 4 - Girls, Girls, Girls

Such a shock would be traumatic. But what about her parents? Do they think that their son is dead? THAT is a nightmare as well the fact of the reality of the mistake.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Excellent point!

Someone will have told someone, surely.

Cheers,

Liobhan

-

Cheers,

Liobhan

Does anyone know?

And if they know, do they have any reason to keep quiet?

Lulu

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

What if no one tells them?

What if they bury the wrong body and then some chick shows up claiming to be their son?

Lulu

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

Plotholes

You are quite right Stan. The parents would have been mistakenly informed that their son died during surgery. Then the mistake would have been revealed during the body id when the parents came to claim the body of their son. Which would have been 24 to 48 hours after death notification. But this is a story and requires some level of suspension of disbelief.

Less than holy

Since the hospital can make a "positive id," whether or not the parents have to formally identify the body is up to them. The next people to see the body would be the mortuary attendants, and the body would be male, so what do they care? If the casket is closed, that body could easily be buried or cremated and Bob's your uncle.

Cheers,

Liobhan

-

Cheers,

Liobhan

Or maybe your aunt!

Could be another story there.

Lulu

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

Having been through the death of loved ones

...the hospital may or may not offer a viewing before sending the body to the mortuary. For someone who died of a cerebral hemorrhage on the operating table, the messiness, the possible facial and body contortions caused by convulsions, the emergency tracheotomy that may have been done... there's no saying that even if they saw the body the family would recognize that it was not their son.

And morticians work from life pictures, doing their best to make a corpse look like a photo.... So even without immediate cremation there is enough slack in things that a distraught family might tell themselves, it must be, it must be.

I've had the experience of seeing a relative in a casket thinking they bore no more than a small resemblance to their living selves.

And identity is what this story is about....

Lulu

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

Things Happen At Hospitals.

My Wife used to work in Risk Management at Kaiser Permanente, and I can say with some authority that what happened in this story is entirely posible. Everything from removing the wrong Kidney, to removing the wrong eye she has told me about, and as you might imagine some of the consequences are quite tragic.

I am very interested to see how our protagonist is going to come out. It is very unlikely that he will just roll over and welcome being a girl with open arms. Realistically, this is going to have a huge impact on him.

Much peace

Khadijah

Hospitals are scary

You realize that most Americans who aren't killed outright in accidents die in hospitals? Makes you think.

Lulu

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

Hi, Lulu!

Interesting story. The first day after my surgery, I was completely out of it. I noticed some people around, but I didn't know who. The second day I was more aware, but I was getting off on the pain killers; I was having a dream, then someone woke me, but as soon as I closed my eyes the dream was going again. Pretty cool. I think I got onto a weaker drug that night.

Have you had GRS or been with someone who's had it? At the hospital or hospital then rest facility? I think the packing comes out after 4 to 6 days, but maybe things have speeded up since the nineties. If you have researched your time schedule, then it's cool, but three days then out of the hospital seems awfully fast to me. Also, I think having all kinds of other procedures along with the GRS, would slow healing compared to having just one surgery.

Welcome and keep up the good work!

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Let's just say

I have access to some original research. Things vary, I've known people who got surgery in Trinidad and three days later climbed in their cars and drove 1000 miles back home. I think they are nuts but they did it. They also had later problems.

As the story develops, it will be clear why Marty/Lulu could be sent "home" what seems to be early for some folks.

Lulu

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

I'm guessing...

That the hospital might not realise the error they've made - and the T-girls probably won't initially realise that Marty isn't Lulu. However, when the person they believe to be Lulu still appears to be 'out of it' days / weeks later, and seems to have no knowledge of Lulu's past life, they might start questioning things and believing Marty's story. What will happen next is anyone's guess, as hospitals generally don't take DNA samples of their patients to confirm identities.

Remember that Marty and Lulu not only had very similar names, but also had a very similar appearance. So unless anyone has the money to hire a lawyer who has sufficient wherewithall to arrange DNA tests on Marty and either Marty's parents or relatives of Lulu (extremely unlikely!), the hospital would probably not know about their mistake. So it looks as though Marty's got to learn to be Lulu, as he's stuck like that for the foreseeable future.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

It's worse than that, Jim

Things aren't complicated enough yet.

Lulu

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine

- Gender is between the ears, sex is between the legs and anywhere else you can get it. - Lulu Martine