Lesley and the Lion Part 1

Printer-friendly version
Lesley and the Lion
Part One
Meeting a Friend

by Andrea Lena DiMaggio

On a train from London to somewhere in the English countryside, 1943...

Lesley Patterson looked out of the window as the countryside flew by; mile after mile of endless green hillsides and greener pastures. He gritted his teeth and tried ever so hard not to pout; the bullies in the next car had given up after a scolding by the conductor. His cheeks still were warm and quite likely red from the teasing they gave him and he could only hope his champion in blue would keep the boys at bay. He was only slightly proud that he hadn’t given the boys the satisfaction of crying in front of them; he was nine years old and he was going to be a man!

"Anyone sitting here?"

He looked up to see a girl about ten years old or so staring expressionless at him. He scooted over against the compartment wall, giving her the window view.

"Thanks. Name's Jill, Jill Pole."

She smiled and held out her hand, which he took in his, shaking it gently.

"Lesley...Lesley Patterson." He shrugged his shoulders apologetically

She looked over at the two little girls asleep against each other, a woman sitting next to them. With the evacuation, children rarely received an escort, so the girls were likely traveling home with their mother.

"First time out, right?" Lesley nodded. The girl seemed very forward, but certainly friendlier than his assailants in the next carriage.

"Don't worry...You'll be alright. Jerry never bombs out in the country...leastwise that's what we've been told. I've never been, but I know from friends that it can be okay, as long as you just go with the flow,"

Lesley nodded again. He didn't agree with her at all. This was the first time he'd ever been away from home. Most likely he'd never return to London, since his father had been killed over Belgium in a dogfight from what he'd heard, and his mother quickly followed her husband after a bomber destroyed the underground they'd been sheltered in. He and two little boys from his neighborhood along with their mother were the only survivors out of seventeen. He bit his tongue. He wasn't going to cry in front of this girl, and that was all there was to it.

"My dad's in North Africa and mum's a nurse in hospital in Netley. How about you?

"Me mum died last month....been stayin' with me Auntie in London. Dad got it over Belgium...I don't..." Lesley was saying what he had avoided speaking for nearly three weeks. The realization of what he spoke hit him in the stomach like the fists of the bullies in the next car. His lip quivered and the tears began to flow.

"Oh, bother, I'm so sorry. I should have known better. There, there. It's going to be alright." He hoped it would be, but nothing seemed further from the truth.

"Now, little man, no tears," the woman across from them spoke up. "Mustn't cry like a little girl. Buck up and all that." She smiled at her advice, truly believing that the best thing for a nine year old orphan was to be strong and stoic.

He sniffled and stopped crying, at least outwardly, but his expression was anything but stalwart. The girl reached over and grabbed his hand, patting it softly. She waited until the woman returned her attention to her book before whispering,

"It's okay, Les...don't you worry. Turn your head to the wall. I'll start singing and she won't hear you, okay?" He nodded and wiped his face with his sleeve, and did as she suggested. For the next twenty or so minutes she reveled the woman and her two girls with renditions of "Oranges and Lemons," "A Hunting We Will Go," "Diddle, Diddle, Dumpling," and some silly verse about a place called Narnia.


What seemed like an eternity later, the train stopped at one of the many outlying stations along the route. There was nothing to be seen besides the verdant hillside that cozied up to the crude wooden platform. A stern-faced woman sat in the front of a pony and trap, looking quite impatient.

“Well, this is my stop,” Jill said with a smile. Sorry about before. Don’t worry, you’ll be alright, I’m sure of it,” she said confidently, evoking a half-frown from Lesley. She stood up and as she leaned over to hug the boy she noticed the paper tag pinned to his jacket.

“Well, look here…this is your stop…Professor Kirke’s Home…” She pulled him to his feet, startling the boy a bit.

“Oh…okay…” She grabbed his hand and they made their way down the aisle and out.

“Watch your step, young lady…and you, too, lad. Just a bit of a dip there...platform is sagging a bit. Don’t worry. Everything is going to be alright.” The conductor said, giving the children a hand off of the car and onto the platform.

“Thank you, sir!” Jill said politely; Lesley stared at the conductor before turning away from the train. He took one step and ran into the woman from the wagon they had seen from the car.

“Don’t you look where you’re goin’, laddie?” She stepped back and he stepped back, looking up into her scowling face. She tried not to grin, but the boy’s red face gave away his great embarrassment.

“Now look here, young laddie, you mind your business and you and I will get along just fine. Come on, I know you can talk…what’s your name?”

“Les…Lesley…Puh..Puh.” He stammered.

“You’re soundin’ like a motor car there, laddie. Take a deep breath and try again.”

“Le…Lesley Pat..Patterson, Mum.” He put his head down and looked at his shoes.

“Well, Lesley Patterson, I’m rather pleased to meet you. And what would your name be, lassie?”

“Jill, Mum…Jill Pole.” She smiled and looked the woman directly in the eye and nodded.

“Quite good, Miss Pole. Is this lad kin to ye?” Jill shook her head no.

“Well, no never mind. You’ll be almost like brother and sister, I expect. My name is Mrs. Macready. I’m the Professor’s housekeeper. You’ll be wise to pay attention, because I don’t like repeating myself.” The children nodded.

“The Professor isn’t to be disturbed under any circumstances, not matter what anyone says to the contrary. Over the last several years we’ve had a few children such as yourself comin’ to the home here, and Professor Kirke is more likely than not to come out of his study to talk. And of course there’ll be meals and such, but please mind and don’t be botherin’ him if the door is closed, aye?” The children stared at her.

“Aye?” They picked up on her prompt and nodded enthusiastically.

“You’ll have chores and all that, but you’re free to roam around the grounds. Mind you to take your shoes off at the back door if you’ve been playin’ outside. Now if I ask you to do somethin’ don’t be standin’ and thinkin’ about it…just do as you’re told and we should get along marvelously.” At the word marvelously she turned her head and grinned. She’d gained a reputation over the years as being cross, but she really was a decent woman at heart, and actually was glad for the company in the huge house.

“My friend’s cousins stayed here a while back. The Pevensies?” Jill smiled and Mrs. Macready shook her head with a glare.

“Don’t get me started about that tribe…Goin’ all sortsa places and such! Indeed, they had the Professor in a dither about this place they kept talkin’ about…Narthex…no, that’s not it…Nebula?” She frowned until Jill interuppted.

“Begging your pardon, Mum, was it Narnia?”

“No, I don’t think so…It will come to me…you just wait and see. I’ll be tossin’ and turnin’ over this all night.” She half smiled and tilted her head.

“Well, come along. I’ve got dinner ready back at the house. I expect you’ll be wantin’ to eat after that long train ride.” She walked down the steps of the platform and over to the trap, getting into the seat once again and pointing to one side.

“Well, I’m off, so you had better get up onto here right quick, aye?” She took the reins in hands as if to signal the horse to start off. The children quickly scurried off the platform and were seated on the side of the trap in seconds.

“Well, this is going to be some time, right Les?” Jill said as she pointed to rows of trees that lined the road.

“We can play all sorts of games and act out stories and adventures. You’ll see, it will be almost like home before you know it.” She had scarcely said it when she regretted her words. The boy looked at her and burst into tears. Unlike the woman on the train, Mrs. Macready was ready and understanding.

“Don’t you worry, laddie. It’ll be alright…aye? Alright!” She turned around briefly and tossled his hair before turning her attention once again to the road ahead.

“Aye…you’ll be alright.” She began to sing softly,

Be thou my speech, be thou my understanding.
Be thou with me, be I with thee
Be thou my father, be I thy girl.
Mayst thou be mine, may I be thine.

She changed the wording only slightly, with the word girl sounding like “gael.” She laughed softly, feeling completely justified since she wasn’t a son. Jill recognized the hymn and began to sing along, but Lesley just back of the seat and began to cry. Jill patted him on the back, but continued to sing along with Mrs. Macready.

Be thou my battle-shield, be thou my sword.
Be thou my dignity, be thou my delight.

She continued to rub the boy’s back, smiling while singing new words to the hymn,

Don't you worry, Lesley, dear,
Yes, it’s going to be alright.

Next: If Wishes Were Talking Horses!


Be Thou My Vision (Irish: Bá­ Thusa 'mo Sháºile) is a traditional Christian hymn, which can be traced to Ireland but is now sung in English-speaking churches around the world. (Wikipedia)

up
79 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

A nice gentle start,

ALISON

'to another gentle story,unless I miss my guess.Thank you,'Drea.

ALISON

Hi Gram...

I never know quite where you're going when your tales begin. But I really don't care because they are so well written!!! It's kind of like watching an orchid blossom; you know the color is there but waiting for that assurance is half the fun. Brava!!! I think this'll be something special (as usual?).

In Love Always...

Brat

Liking It So Far Drea.

[email protected] I can't help it, I've always had a soft spot for sweet, gentle tales. Especially ones with teens and preteens. It's just something about missing out on that part of girlhood. The wish that things might've been so different.

Okay, you're off the hook for these tears. You didn't cause these. I brought 'em on myself.

Curious to see where you go with this one.

Thanks,
Love and Hugs,
Jonelle

Leslie's Dilema

littlerocksilver's picture

I am looking forward to the twists and turns this gentle story will be taking.

Portia

Portia

Lesley and the Lion Part 1

Looks as if Kesley will be meeting Aslan pretty soon.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Typo

laika's picture

You mean Lesley will meet Aslan, Stan. We can also hope so...
Although Kelsey Grammar (Sideshow Barbara) did go to Narnia in my SIMPSONS fanfic:

*********************

The sun is shining. Squirrels and bunnies are scampering about. Sideshow Barb wanders through the forest, breathing deeply of the strangely invigorating air here, looking up at the trees around her in wonderment.

A voice cries out, "What Ho!"

She drapes an indignant hand across her bosom. "I BEG your pardon?"

A half goat, half man creature---a faun---approaches her. "Good day to you. Might you be a Daughter of Eve?"

"Errr ........ something like that. I seem to be rather lost."

"I think I can help you, my Dear. But first would you do me the honor of joining me for tea? My name is Mr. Tumnus."

The human consults her Lady Rolex.

"Why yes it is tea time, isn't it? I thank whatever gods abide here that I've met someone who observes the neccessary traditions of civilized life. I think I'm going to like this place! It's clearly a far cry from Springfield... with all those cretinous BOORS in their HUMVEES, gulping down their FRAPPACINOS while listening to their GREEN DAY and BRAYING about NOTHING ON THEIR STUPID CELL PHONES UNTIL I WANT TO KILL THEM ALL!!!"

The faun is a bit taken aback by this outburst, but smiles. "I do not know these things you speak of. But if you would grace me with your company, I live right over here."

He takes her arm, and as they disappear around the bend in the trail we hear, "So Mister Tumnus ....... Is it true what they say about satyrs?"

*********************

~~hugs, Laika "Since I can't write anymore all I can do is plug my older stories, sigh..." Pupkino

Can't wait to see

Zoe Taylor's picture

I can't wait to see where you're going with this. I never saw the movie adaptation, but I fell in love with the book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe when I was young. In a lot of ways it inspired my love of high fantasy, and eventually, writing in general, so The Chronicles are very near and dear to me anyway ;-)

All my best,
~Zoe

Edit: Minor clarification :-D

* * *

"Zoe, you are definitely the Queen of Sweetness with these Robin stories!"
~ Tychonaut

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Nice start!

Athena N's picture

I'm pretty sure, though, that Jill's first trip to Narnia in The Silver Chair took place after the war. Then again, this story isn't canon anyway... :)

Actually, if you look at the timing...

This is about right...

LWW takes place in the fall of 1940 (the blitz)
PC is one year later
Dawn Treader is about 6-9 months after that
which puts Silver Chair in the Fall of 42 at the beginning of school term.
It is Last Battle which takes place shortly after the war.

Sorry... I cut my writing teeth on Narnia fanfics :)

The only drawback I see here is that the evacuations were mainly done in fall of 40 for the Blitz... not so much for later. Also, in Canon, by this point, Professor Kirke had moved from the manor to a city dwelling (where Peter visited him during the events of Dawn Treader)

But, as said, this is fanfiction and much can be forgiven for a good story, which this surely is shaping up to be.

-sb

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

You are right

Athena N's picture

The time between the first four books is indeed only about two years. It looks like I've been too long without reading them :)

Funny though how this time line doesn't quite work with the timing of the various children gradually growing too old to visit Narnia. Not to mention the way female puberty turns out to be a mortal sin, as seen in Susan's fate at the end of the series.

Um...

I never really got that it was puberty as such that was the downfall of Susan, so much as the worldliness that she allowed herself to succumb to in that process. It was fairly apparent even in The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe and even more so in Prince Caspian that she had a real weakness in that regard. She put position in a narrow society (that of her peers) ahead of higher concerns, like the welfare of her family or retaining the truth of what they had experienced.

Think along the line of a person who becomes very stridently anti-gay in their public life, but then has gay affairs or hires a same-sex prostitute.

At least, that's how I've always read her. A hypocrite rather than, well, growing up as such.

-Liz

Successor to the LToC

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Maybe

Athena N's picture

I too think that was what Lewis was aiming at. However, what I've always seen is a teen-aged girl trying to transition to adulthood. Yes, "by faith alone", as Luther put it, but that point was already made with the dwarfs in the shed. I still think it a little too harsh that at the end she loses her entire family in a single train wreck.

On the other hand, I'm biassed - she was always the easiest of the four to identify with. Peter and Lucy were too perfect, and the way Edmund started was a bit too, er, imperfect to see in myself back then. But Susan had just the right social anxiety, and she was a girl too. :)

Anyway, back to the present story...

re: story

this has started out sounding as if it will be a wonderful light hearted story. looking forward to more.
robert

001.JPG

Very nice start...

And I appreciate that this isn't going to be a Mary Sue fic where the main character is pining after one of the canon characters... :) (Can you tell I've had a few run-ins with the archetype in my reading???)

I look forward to hearing more of Lesley's story. He already sounds very much like someone who desperately needs Narnia.

-sb

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Coordinated
Educational
Network for
Talents and
Emergent
Resources

Magic Wardrobes?

joannebarbarella's picture

I won't steal your roar. Do they have Kleenex in Narnia? Or is that a developing market?

I thought Lesley was a girl's name, so that must be a Freudian slip or a pointer to where the story is going,

Joanne

Lesley as a name...

...was originally a place name, then a surname (in much the same way that Carlisle, Lindsey, and many others were), then came into use as a (more usually male) given name. It only became a predominantly female name in the 1940's. ^__^ Funny how that works...

-Liz

Successor to the LToC

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

Surprised by Joy

laika's picture

Wow! This is sooooo cool! Can't wait to see what happens! Is Reepicheep gonna be in it?
How about Batman? Next chapter seems to be promising talking horses, I hope they're nice
talking horses (like Mr. Ed) and not like those nasty condescending misanthropic Houyhnhnms.
I love CS LEWIS, read these books every ten years since I was ten and they're like new every time.
(I always wanted to do an OUT OF THE SILENT PLANET fanfic but I cant figure out if I'm from Venus or Mars...)
~~hugs, Laika

Warped

Sorry, Laika, but I can never read Voyage to Venus, etc, without wondering whether they are into 'rishathra'

Oh My Goodness Gracious

What a wonderful start. So far you've caught the spirit and style of the Narnia books. Well Done my girl, well done!

Of course I would expect nothing less from you! Using one of my favorite Hymns of course pleased me to no end.

Thanks Sis.

Beth

I'll join my voice to the others.

This is a good start to what seems like an interesting story. It even reads much like the original Narnia tales, and I love those. I look forward to reading more with great anticipation.

Wren

Not only...

...a treatment of one of my favorite stories (yes, "Me too!"), but a treatment of the work of this particular Inkling by this very wonderful person and excellent author! ^___^

*deliriously delighted!*

Thank you, dear 'Drea! And now on to the second chapter, which seems to have been posted whilst I was away...

-Liz

Successor to the LToC

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

This was on my 'to read' list

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

This was on my 'to read' list and I finally got around to it. As a child my nose was always stuck in a book and the Narnia tales were something I really adored. And this looks like its probably going to make me laugh and cry before it's finished!

I'm looking forward to reading the other chapters. And because I came to it late, there is no waiting! ;-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Narnia...

Ole Ulfson's picture

I was young, maybe 13/14 when I first read Tolkien. When I finished the four books I started to look for more like it. In my research on Tolkien I had read about The Inklings and landed on the Narnia books and while they hadn't the majesty of Tolkien's books I enjoyed them.

So I'm looking forward to another sojourn through Narnia with a very special guide: The lovely and very sweet, Andrea Lena the healer; friend to us all. I suspect that this trip will be even better than the first and have a less conventional perspective.

Lead me on, Andrea,

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!

I loved

the Narnia tales. This appears to be interesting as well!

Vivien