Monolith: Chapter 9

Printer-friendly version

monolith6.jpg
Barbra put down the phone and sat back in her chair. She let herself think about the idea that Lyra had lied. Plots of old science fiction movies made their way into Barbra's brain: Alien mind control, robot doppelgangers, and conspiracy.

--------------------

Exploitation

Lyra's arrival in Athens today has marked the one month anniversary since her first public appearance(picture below), it is also is her first time out of the United States. Since her unveiling there has been intense international debate and discussion, even the UN has reported all night talks between countries who wish for equal time with Lyra. It's not clear what each country wishes to gain from a meeting with Lyra, but the possibilities could range from developing good relations with an advanced alien race to monetary and material reasons.

It's been talked about before, if the end point of the 'Fold' was placed in our asteroid belt we could mine the field with relative ease and safety. In theorized plans(Pre-Lyra) of asteroid mining, asteroids would be put on a collision course with the Pacific or Atlantic ocean and then collected on the sea floor, if the 'Fold' could be used then the mining risk would drop considerably. If such a plan got underway it's estimated close to a billion dollars of ore and rare earth minerals would pass through the 'Fold' each day. The debate was at a standstill by week three, with every country jockeying for first spot on Lyra's travel itinerary.

Lyra herself broke the deadlock by attending the UN and speaking to the general assembly. The speech writer's effort made up for Lyra's nervousness and lack of public speaking skills. She had made it clear she was very interested in visiting every country in attendance plus the rest that weren't. In the politest way possible she reminded them that they have no say in the matter and it was her decision to go where she wants. She finished with a announcement that she was first visiting Greece because she wanted to see the country where her name came from. Now in Athens, Lyra has yet to give an itinerary or travel plans for her stay. From all accounts, Lyra is apparently quite impulsive like a child; it's still up for debate on how old she is. Apparently she is infinitely curious and her attention is on the Greek culture, it's highly probable she will be visiting many landmarks during her stay. We will have updates on the hour.

Anonymous Comments:

My mind can't comprehend an alien wearing converse shoes.

You have my word! I will sex her up 'James T Kirk' style.

I don't know what you are talking about, she's not sexy at all. Those ears of hers are gross and I heard she has teeth in her vagina.

Thanks for that boner killer. I don't even know why we ever hope to get a chance with Lyra. There would be no opportunity to get her alone, there is a constant swell of people around her.

Does anyone else see Beth Nasso in that picture? WFT is she doing there?

I heard Beth and Lyra hang out together, doesn't bode well with me. A New York hipster chick being earth's representative to interstellar aliens.

Add Lesbian to her description, I wonder if shes ever tried to sex up Lyra?

You have just implanted that image into the masturbation fantasies of nearly every man alive.

My faith in humanity has been shaken to its core thanks to these comments.

--------------------

Theo was surprised to see a little snow up in the hills. The travel programs didn't show this Mediterranean on TV. She briefly felt betrayed, how could her 'nanny in a box' do this to her? She thought she could escape the winter back in New York, only she ran into overcast skies and stiff breezes. Now Theo was looking out over the low rooftops that blanketed the city. The curve of the hills and the horizon of the city drew imaginary lines towards Theo like she was in a perspective painting. In contrast, Theo felt like she was in a surreal painting, with masses of people filling the street as far as she could see and helicopters buzzing in the sky.

The scene was becoming a regular sight for Theo and by extension Beth. It seemed that everyone’s free time was spent watching for Lyra. Soon police barricades were set up around the quarantine lab to keep the swell of people at bay. With the help of the protective barriers, Theo mustered up her guts and made a meet and greet. Theo would move down the barricade shaking hands and playing the wide eyed tourist, it became a six times a day ritual. Theo almost thought she could whittle down the massive queue like there was an end. As with the many 'performances' Theo put out a day, she honed and sharpened her skill at playing a cute little alien. The antagonists in her performance were the people who latched on with conversation. It would always start with an autograph, then in the act of signing they'd strike. They would ask how she likes Earth and then follow up with stories, recommendations, and their insight to human culture. Their talk would slow her momentum to a stop and generally annoy her to no end. As Theo's craft improved she was able to shrug off the stickier conversationalists, no sweat. Despite the bomb threat and the odd concealed handgun found it was a pleasant affair. What Theo liked the most was the look on a person's face when they realized they where interacting with an 'alien'. It was Theo's challenge now to do the same act but in Greek.

“I diggin' this country, dude.” Beth said.

“Rolling out that old red carpet, that they are.” Theo grunted.

“I told your Dude that we want to walk down to the markets.” Beth smirk. The UN was providing security and logistics for Lyra's traveling and in extension to that was Micheal. They didn't know the London born Indian's title but they knew he was the one organizing everything. They didn't doubt he was a very busy person.

“I feel like we kill a little part of him with every request we give him.” Theo chuckled.

“He did appear to age five years when I said that.” Beth added.

Theo tapped the tablet shaped computer in her hand. “I just read that the Grecian government is sending out garbage trucks on twenty four hour pickup so I don't see that they have a refuse problems. Trying to get me to think their country is perfect.”

“First impressions.” Beth shrugged and muttered.

“I suppose,” Theo conceded. “But I 'Lyra' want a more complete picture, I'd want to learn everything I could, even the ugly stuff.” She placed the computer on the bed next to her. “I kinda feel like I'm watching Lyra's life story, watching how the human race reacts to her. And this news story makes me feel like their trying to deceive her. Ah dunno.” Theo finished with a grunt.

“You'll have to 'metagame' them then.” Beth said.

“D&D? Beth? What else haven't you told me?” Theo mocked concern.

Beth stuck her tongue out. “Serious, dude, They'll let you go anywhere you want to, so go anywhere you want to. Ya got me?”

“They would let me do almost anything I want.” Theo pondered.

“Don't go to the dark side.” Beth warned.

“Don't worry youngling.” Theo assured. “I'd only use my power for good.”

“Like ending world hunger?” Beth asked.

Theo brow shot up as she pointed to Beth. “Yes! I don't know if we could actually succeed but that shouldn't stop us from trying.”

Beth crossed the room and close the curtains. “I don't know how you can be oblivious to the hundred of cameras pointing through the window.” She punctuated her sentence by sitting down next to Theo.

“Dunno.” Theo rested her head on Beth lap. “I'm glad you came with me though; it's crazy out here.”

“You know I'd bear the hardships of an 'all expenses paid vacation' for you.” Beth smiled.

“You really know how to make a person feel special.” Theo giggled.

“Make a GIRL feel special.” Beth corrected as she found Theo’s closest nipple.

Theo tilted her head back into Beth’s lap and closed her eyes. In a concentrated breath she said. “It still feels weird; All of my parts are tingling; Does it feel like that for you?”

“Sometimes; I but take longer to warm up, you on the other hand seem to be extremely sensitive.” Beth said as she stroked.

“Could... be the new body.” Theo sputtered. She reached up the bed and moved her hand around Beth's chest until she found one of the pair. Theo fumbled the attempt with her odd position and closed eyes; Beth didn't mind.

“Come on, let's turn off the lights and get in our underwear, before we continue any further.” Beth whispered.

Theo flowed into a upright position and said. ”Mm-kay.”

--------------------

Around the same time David was walking through the halls towards Dr. Locke's room. He got nods and looks from every one who passed, he was popular now. David would admit he was very well known now, but saying popular was going too far for him. Most people knew his name now; it didn't mean they wanted to get to know him or David likewise. A couple of new people stuck themselves in his circle of friends but the majority asked what Lyra was like, then left. He couldn't fault them for being curious, it just disturbed him to think that most of these people never read the news. Depending on whether a pretty girl was asking, David usually answered with his default: I really only talked to her for a minute. He was reluctant to say much more than that, in case he goofed and went away from the 'Official' story. It was for that reason he refused to do any interviews. David took comfort in the thought that he could gripe about this stuff with Heather.

David neared the door to Dr. Locke's small auditorium, the space was more attuned to elementary school plays, not discussion on Grand Unified Theory. A crowd of people squeezed through the door as they filed into the classroom, Locke started speaking as the last person took their seat.

“According to my records, attendance to my class has risen close to eight hundred percent in the last month. While I'd like to believe all of you here earnestly want to learn the esoteric concepts and math of quantum mechanics, I know some of you here came for another reason.” A fifth of the class shifted in their seats. “So I'm getting this out of the way, I'll give you two hours to ask any questions you have.” Dr. Locke finished.

Hands went up and he answered the same questions he’s been asked before. They asked for personal details at first; trying to find some thing about Lyra to relate to. That faded into questions about himself and his experiences, then the questioning started into the science of the Monolith's 'Fold'. The conversation was almost into purely science territory when a tall skinny girl asked.

“I haven't heard much about Theo Holmes, what was he like?”

“Thank you for asking, I don't get asked that very much.” Dr. Locke cleared he throat. “He was weird and funny, and terrible at math. I think he joined my class just for the theories and ideas, He could imagine the stuff but couldn’t put it into the algebra. You should really ask David there, they were friends.”

David awkwardly waved as the class turned to him, he counted him self lucky that Dr. Locke took back the attention and answered more questions. About a dozen people left after Locke was finished with Q and A, and few more dropped when the subject matter got too heavy for them. Now they left in droves as Dr. Locke finished his class, but David stayed.

“Oh, hi, professor!”

“Hello pupil, come on into my office and sit down.”

David followed the professor into a side room that might have been used for a changing room. Dr. Locke walked over to a modified tube radio; one of those nice stand up ones from the thirties or forties. He turned it on and a Devo song started playing, the song almost conflicted with the golden era aura the room was giving off.

Locke shrugged. “Just in case some one is listening?”

“Why not? Where is Heather?” David asked.

“She's T.A.'ing for me now, I sent her out to do some grunt work, she should be only a minute.”

“Ah. So how have you been doing?”

“Busy, I'm sure you've got the media calling you all time. I've got that and invitations for panels and lectures for other universities and god knows what organizations. I know most of them don't want me purely for my scientific knowledge.” The Professor took a breath. “How about you? Oh, and it's good to see you back in class.”

“Thanks. Yeah for three weeks there I visited- Lyra everyday. She told me to tell you that she's working on getting back into college.”

“That will be interesting.”

“Ha yeah, it's going to be a nightmare.” David chuckled.

“So how is she doing?” Dr, Locke asked.

“She’s doing fine, not depressed or anything. Sometime she acts weird; I think it's about her life span, its almost like she thinks she is dying. She gets physical, hugs and wrestles both Beth and me. It's a... weird.” David's pale face blushed some.

“Hmm. I'd imagine realizing my forever will be longer than anyone else's I knew, would be pretty scary. How she adapting to her life?”

“Good, I think, she seems to tolerate when Beth goes slumber party on her, dress and makeup, everything. And before she left she was going out to the people surrounding the crowd gates about six times a day, she said she was desensitizing the public.”

The door opened and Heather walked through with a stack of papers. “Professor I've got- Oh hi, David!”

David twisted in his chair to see her. “Hey, Heather.”

“Close the door and come in, we're talking about Lyra.” Dr. Locke said.

“Anything new?” Heather asked.

“She's trying to get back into college.” David replied.

Heather looked surprised. “, really?... I'm just imagining what a nuthouse this place would be.”

“She thinks she can overexpose herself to the public until they become bored.” David said.

Locke chuckled. “What time frame is she expecting? Cause I bet she'll have close to this level of attention for twenty years or so. I'd imagine it would wane when the kids who grew up knowing of her reach adulthood, my best guess.”

David just shrugged.

“I'm considering doing an interview.” Heather got their attention. “I've talked to Dr. Fleming about it, she said the government will let me as long as it's pre-taped and that I have a 'Chaperone'.” She air quoted. “I really could use they money they will pay me, like for my college tuition.”

“Well, I suppose.” David drawled.

“Thanks for your support.” Heather monotoned her voice.

“It's not like we're trying to stop you, I just have my reasons and Dr. Locke has his. I don't even think Lyra cares either way; heck, she'd probably do an interview too when she needed the money.”

“I-” Heather started.

“And in exchange for my approval I will take a ten percent cut.” David rapid fired.

“I never pay more than five percent in bribe money.” Heather had a stone cold look on her face.

Professor Locke chuckled. “How about you two get lunch, I have some paper work to do.” he greatly emphasized 'paper' which brought on whole new meanings to his sentence.

“Uh, yeah, okay.” David's mind was busy thinking about the implied meaning.

“Let's go.” Heather said, she was already at the door.

They left, gave each other conspiratorial looks and then had a nice lunch.

--------------------

Barbra was going over the bi-monthly status reports, they detailed the recent discoveries and progress of the research teams. Before Theo had left, Barbra asked for a tissue sample, promising it would be only a small sample Theo agreed. Now each team was taking it apart tissue by tissue, cell by cell. Some of the researchers were unsettled by the preliminary findings; cells where mis-shaped, folded in on themselves. Her cells didn't appear to grow and divide, but they did shift and slightly change shape. Interestingly the interval for the shifts matched the time a cell takes to divide. There was some stuff about proteins and amino acids but that was murky territory and lucky for Barbra, her phone rang.

Unknown caller the phone said. “Hello?”

“Hi Dr. Fleming.” Beth's voice sounded a bit digitalized through the daisy chain of cables and satellites.

“It's six in the morning there isn't it?”

“And it's nine at night where you are, working late?” Beth asked.

“Yes, we are still analyzing Lyra's tissue sample, and these people like to burn the midnight oil.” Barbra sighed.

“Sorry about that, Greece is great by the way.”

“Don't you start, I'm jealous enough. how are you both?”

Beth stretched out her first word in exclamation. “Good, I'm having fun. Lyra really likes it here, well it is her first foreign country. She got a Grecian conversation guide when we arrived, she been picking it up really quick. I don't know if she was that good before, but it seems like she has a near perfect memory now.”

“It might very well be. We thought the same but we didn't really have a test that could distinguish her capacity from a savant. We did find out her learning style hasn't changed.” Barbra replied.

“Huh. There is one other thing.” Beth was unsure on whether to say anything.

“Yeah? What is it hon?” Barbra asked.

“She's not acting depressed or anything, but some times at night I've caught her looking really worried about something. I can tell when she starts thinking about her near immortality, she gets pretty 'touchy feely'. This is different though and she’s not talking about it. Do you have any ideas Dr. Barbra?” asked a concerned Beth.

Barbra thought it over for a bit. “The opinions were mixed among the experts seeing how the tape was of poor quality. But some of them thought she might have been lying about some of the details of her second visit with the 'Gatekeeper', that's what we're calling the alien.”

“You think-” Beth started.

“No I don't, but it's my only guess.” Barbra cut in.

“Huh, well I'll keep trying.” Beth sounded lost in thought.

“Thanks, Beth. We need to catch these things quick and help her before they snowball into something worse.”

Beth didn't answer at first. “Yeah I'll try my best, I better get going I just stepped out for a coffee. Get some sleep, Barbra!”

“Bye bye.” there was a click then silence.

Barbra put down the phone and sat back in her chair. She let herself think about the idea that Lyra had lied. Plots of old science fiction movies made their way into Barbra's brain: Alien mind control, robot doppelgangers, and conspiracy. She wasn't going to jump to any conclusions though, it would just make a mess out of things. She also considered that it was a little too late in the game to raise any questions; nothing was going to stop the momentum surrounding Lyra. Barbra decided to file the conversation she just had in a mental folder labeled 'Ignore for as long as possible'.

“Farris can wait until I've got something more than hearsay.” Barbra said to herself.

--------------------

The overcast burned off making way for the winter sun to warm up the streets. The streets in Athens were just a little warmer than usual on account of the masses of gawkers and onlookers. It was a testament to their country, they conducted themselves very well(many historians agree). You'd imagine a wave of people bum rushing you and taking your kidneys, but the opposite was more true especially with the bodyguards present. They respected Lyra's space with the exception of street vendors. The citizens also kept a lane of foot traffic open, it taxied out old onlookers and brought new ones in. Everyone was aware of the language barrier but a surprising amount of the locals spoke fluent English and were able to understand Lyra's conversational Grecian. Fortunately the talkers in the crowd were few and far between, and most of them had useful information pertaining to whatever object Lyra was holding at the time.

According to one of the shopkeepers they were a mile from the Parthenon and only a few feet from the best dates in the country. He proceeded to offer a date.

“Thank you. What is this?” Theo had to play the tourist sometimes.

A women in the crowd called out. “It is a fruit.” with a heavy accent. a good humored chuckle passed through the crowd.

“Oh, thank you.” Theo projected a sense of innocence well. She bit into the date and pretended to marvel at the new flavors.

“This is good, thank you. Do you want to try?” Theo offered to Beth.

Beth took the date without comment, she though it best she didn't talk during public outings. Acting too familiar with Lyra in public was frowned upon by the suits, it was hard to say Lyra was a blank slate when she was referencing popular culture topics. It was a plus that Beth enjoyed watching these interactions. To Beth they had an Andy Kaufman vibe, Like she was the only audience to these little performances on the street. Beth was glad Lyra wasn't evil; like actively trying to get her to laugh, she knew Lyra had the capability to do so and with chilling proficiency. Most of the time Lyra used her other skill on the poor locals: 'Extreme Cuteness' as Beth puts it. It was the kind of cuteness that seems to be passed into people over the eons to protect the very young. Sometimes Lyra would hit the nail on the head with a comment only a naive, vulnerable child would utter. Despite her insider knowledge those comments still stirred her.

It took about an hour to get to the end of the marketplace. It was slow progress through the handshakes, greetings, and aggressive merchants. Lyra was licking spices off her fingers when Beth's phone chirped announcing a new message. Beth divided her attention between Lyra looking and the reading of David's new message.

'Just wanted you to know.'

Lyra worked her way down the barrels of exotic spices as the storekeeper urged on her. The merchant would point to a barrel and exclaim its name and try his best to explain the origin of the spice and Lyra in response would look fascinated.

'Heather's interview is tonight.'

Lyra was trying every spice in front of her now and the merchant was struggling to keep pace. She pinched a bit of red powder and put it to her tongue, the merchant waved his hands and made the international sign for danger but it was too late.

'She's not even giving me a cut! What a drag.'

Lyra stopped moving and started looking confused. Beth could see the inner monologue; what is this flavor?! It's hot! Is it burning me? Lyra opened her mouth and started panting to cool her tongue. The crowd shuffled and a hero emerged with a bottled soda, it was passed like a torch up above the mass of people to Lyra. There was a cheer when she took a swig of the beverage. The concerned merchant mimed swishing mouth wash in attempt to help Lyra's burning mouth. She swallowed the soda and opened her mouth again to blow on her tongue; there was a slight unease in the air. Lyra's smile quickly broke the tension and the crowd cheered.

“What was that one called?” She panted.

--------------------

Theo prodded the remote control to the hotel TV. “What channel is it supposed to be?”

Beth looked up from her dinner “six or five, one of those low numbers.”

“Low numbers huh, How much are they paying her?” Theo asked.

“Million something, why? You thinking about doing the same.” Beth muttered.

“For a million bucks!? Fo sho.” Theo rocked her head left and right.

Theo kept flipping through the channels for another minute waiting for Heather's interview. “I just realized I hardly watch television anymore.”

“I feel good for you, Lyra.” Beth mocked.

Theo gave her the stink face and then continued flipping. “You can still call me by my name you know.” Theo said off handedly.

Beth paused her eating and gave Theo a long look. “I know I can.”

The TV said Heather Brown and Theo's head snapped back to viewing position. Beth leaned in her seat at the table to get a better view of the screen. A montage was playing of Heather talking and walking through a garden as the Grecian anchor gave a synopsis of her story. The TV screen featured watermarks pasted over others and hastily written translations, the local station had obviously taped the satellite feed and put it on the air in record time. Theo and Beth were glad the station chose to leave the original audio.

Heather was talking about where she grew up, the interviewer asked the standard small talk questions before getting the real meat of the conversation. Theo was about to complain about it dragging on and on when the interviewer interrupted.

“Could you tell us your experience meeting Lyra?”

“Beth and Theo had been gone for close to three hours. The government was already there asking me and David what happened when Lyra pulled Beth out of the fold. I remember being surprised she was completely naked and when she started speaking English I was floored.”

“Could you explain why Lyra was dragging Beth out?”

“Oh well, I don't know really what happened on the other side, but Beth was without water for almost two days.”

“Where was Beth? And what do you know?”

Heather looked off camera. “I don't think I'm allowed to answer that. But if you're thinking she was kidnaped or something I can assure you nothing like that happened.”

“Okay, what happened next?”

“We got Beth to a bed while Lyra sat on the floor. She didn't say anything for while, she looked out of it or lost in thought, that kind of look. She sat there for an hour, quiet as a mouse then the guys in clean suits took her to quarantine.”

“What was your first impression of Lyra.”

“Well she didn't have a name then.” Heather smiled. “To be honest I was a little freaked out, I bet half of the people there were too. I didn't ever expect to see an alien during my lifetime, but to see one look so human and speak the same language. And I hate to say it but her ears weirded me out a bit, I don't know why.”

Theo looked to Beth and touched her long ears. “They're not too weird, right?”

Beth's eyes where locked on the TV for a few seconds. “Well, they aren't TOO weird.”

“Screw you!” Theo laughed.

“Shh.” Beth pointed back to the TV.

“-about your other meeting with Lyra?” The interviewer asked.

“I guess she was asking about Beth and us, she want to meet us. When they deemed it safe they brought us to Lyra. We were the first people she talked to so I guess she wanted us to be friends.”

The conversation drifted to Lyra's reason for being here, and her role as a 'Fold guide' and how it will affect the world. As the TV program ran, Beth noticed Lyra's changing posture. Lyra was on the floor with her back against the bed, her legs were crossed but as the interview continued she drew her legs up against her chest. Her eyes lost focus and her face showed a mix of unpleasant emotions.

“I sorta feel like it's a brand new world, Lyra has made me really hopeful for our future.” Heather said.

Beth watched as Lyra put her head on her knees, Beth's spider sense tingled. It had been a few days since she had talked to Barbra, a few days to think. She made the decision to confront Lyra. Beth ninja'ed her way from the table to the end of the bed without Lyra noticing, then she heaved herself down to the ground.

Lyra looked up. “What's wrong?” Beth questioned.

“Thinking about all that responsibility, puts me in a weird place I guess.” Theo stammered.

Beth searched Lyra's eyes as if she was getting ready for a make out session. “Why don't you tell me the truth?” Beth asked with concerned.

“I-” Theo choked. “What?!”

“You can tell me.” Beth urged.

Theo jumped up and paced to the other side of the room. Her breath was short and she looked a little panic-ed. Beth stood up, walked to Lyra, grabbed her hand, and pull her to the bed. She sat Lyra down and turned the volume up on the television. Turning back Beth pushed Lyra back into the bed and straddled her, Beth leaned down leaving only a few inches between their faces.

“Tell me.” Beth said softly.

The words on Lyra's lips were still stuck. “Please.” Beth urged.

“None of it is true.” Theo whispered.

Beth's eyes said 'what do you mean?'

“She made up the 'Fold guide' story, I still don't know why she did this to me.” Theo was crying now.

Beth shifted and buried her face into the bed sheets, she couldn't find a words to describe how fucked up this situation was.

--------------------
Thanks to DJKauf for editing
and sorry about the wait. :]

up
77 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Worth the wait!

No need to apologize, luv!! Just remember the old saying "The best things come to those who wait", or in other words, quality beats quantity every time AFAIC!

Monolith: Chapter 9

To drop an asteroid into any ocean will cause world wide catastrophes unless the asteroids are actually put into orbit or lowered on some sort of anti gravity system

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Asteroid Mining

Asteroids come in all shapes and sizes, the bigger ones we break up into chunks about the size of city block. even at that size the risk of tidal events is low, when you get up to 1/2 mile in diameter or larger is when you should worry. Anti-gravity, If we knew how and could the cost and energy consumption would be insane to bring down rocks that size.

Thanks for the comments.

The Wanderer

terrynaut's picture

I'm not sure where this story is going but I'm liking it. It's very different and strange. I like strange.

It's odd that Lyra/Theo is so sensitive to Heather's interview. Maybe she just feels like she's losing herself. I still think it would've been a good idea to pretend (okay, lie) that Theo was alive somewhere on the other side of the fold acting as an ambassador for Earth. I think it would help Lyra. Oh well.

Thanks for the story!

- Terry

I New It

I new the Fold guide story was fake. I do not think Theo would be this good about it if the real story was going to be evil or nasty though.

Great Story!!!

James

Did you continue the story

Did you continue the story under another name, or did you really stop writing it with this cruel cliffhanger?

Well however, thank you for writing and please write a conclusion to this story.

Beyogi

Brilliant !

what els can i say