The First Woman Cardinal of the Catholic Church, I

Printer-friendly version

The First Woman Cardinal of the Catholic Church, I

 
By Melissa Tawn
 
A cardinal of the Catholic Church undergoes SRS and legally becomes a woman. Can the Vatican cope?

 

 
 

Mary-Anne Cardinal O’Connor walked slowly but purposefully towards the room in which the hearing was to take place. She was not wearing the ceremonial robes to which she was entitled, but rather a simply-cut purple silk business suit, with hemline modestly below the knees. Her shoes were comfortable, despite their stylish three-inch heel. Her perfectly-done hairdo showed traces of white attesting to her 50 years, and her makeup was so subtle as to be almost unnoticeable. She wore no jewelry save for a large gold pectoral cross, a copy of an original crafted by Cellini for Cardinal de Medici, later looted by Napoleon, and now exhibited with honor in the Louvre. She carried no purse or briefcase, only a breviary.

It was but one month after the sensational news conference at which it was revealed that Mark Anthony O’Connor, cardinal of the Catholic church and acclaimed as the most original and charismatic theological thinker since Peter Abelard, had undergone sexual reassignment surgery and was now, legally (according to Italian and European law) and officially, a woman. At that conference, Cardinal O’Connor explained that she was now barred by canon law from celebrating the mass and hearing confessions, and did not intend to do so. However, there was no canonical reason why she should resign her membership in the College of Cardinals and she had no intention of doing that either.

Cardinal O’Connor had been elevated to the College of Cardinals by the late beloved Pope J**, generally considered a sure candidate for beatification in the near future. It was his brilliantly-written and meticulously-argued position papers which led the Great Vatican Council to reform so many aspects of the church, bringing it into tune with the twentieth century. The elevation came shortly after the Council concluded, and was taken to be a sign that future reforms were yet on the way. But then, within less than a year, the Pope suddenly died of a heart attack. His successor, a mild and gentle man, could not stand under the pressures of his great office, and he too died within a few months of his selection. The next man selected had been an outsider, of vigorous physical constitution, but of different temper than J**. He had his own close advisors and Cardinal O’Connor soon found that he had been shunted to head an important-sounding but essentially meaningless and powerless commission, and edged away from positions of real influence. After two years, he asked — and all too quickly received — permission to be relieved of his duties for a year of prayer and meditation. He disappeared from view until the press conference that shocked the Vatican and the Catholic world.

While Cardinal O’Connor believed that her position as a member of the College of Cardinals was secure, the Holy Father clearly had other views of the matter. Within a week, he announced the formation of a special tribunal of inquiry into the matter, to be headed by the conservative and crafty Vatican Secretary of State, Cardinal Leone. The tribunal had already held one meeting, at which questions posed by the Holy Father were read, and opinions against Cardinal O’Connor were presented, some of them extremely hostile. Today was the second meeting, at which Cardinal O’Connor would get a chance to rebut these.

As Mary-Anne entered the room, she could feel the tension in the air. The members of the tribunal, her erstwhile colleagues, some of whom she had considered close friends as well, looked at her as though she were a freak in a circus. She did not cower, however. She looked at them with dignity, sat in the place allotted to her, and began her response.

“Your eminences,” she explained, “it is best to begin at the beginning …”

“… I was, as you know, born of a poor but pious Irish family, the fifth of seven children. From my youngest days, I had always felt that “something was wrong” and that I should really have been a girl. Often, when I had the chance, I would dress in my sisters’ clothes and pretend that I was a girl just like they were. I knew, however, that according to the teachings of the church, these actions were considered a sin, and so I was careful to do it only in secret, so that none could find out. As I entered my teens, this conflict in me caused me to be a loner — shunning the company of boys and girls alike — for fear that my secret would come out. I spent hours reading religious books trying to understand what was happening to me, but to no avail. As I grew, I became convinced that only by thoroughly learning the ways of God, could I finally understand myself. When I was 15, a chance opened up to go to Rome to study here in a course which would lead to the priesthood. I applied for the position and, since I was a good student, my application was accepted. (Cardinal O’Connor is being modest here; at the time, he was already considered the most gifted genius to have ever attended his school, in its 300 years of existence, and perhaps ever to have attended any school in Ireland.)

I came to Rome, but the change of location did not quell my inner unrest. Indeed, I felt lonelier and more confused than before. Finally, one day, I felt I could no longer take it and had to unburden myself in confession, something which I had never done before. I poured out my heart and my feelings in the confessional, and the priest who heard me answered with understanding. He asked only that I look deep within myself, to make sure that my feelings were authentic. He did not reprimand me, as I had expected he would.

Later that day, I was called to the office of the principal of the school. The Vatican official in charge of the education of future priests had paid a surprise visit and he wanted to show off his prize pupil -- me -- to the visitor. This visitor was, of course, a well-known man, about 20 years my senior, and generally considered by the gossip (to which all schoolboys paid extreme attention) as an up-and-coming power in the church. After a moment’s conversation, I realized that the voice was that of the priest to whom I had confessed earlier that day. He too apparently figured that out too, for he suggested that, since it was a nice spring day, we should continue our conversation while walking in the school’s garden. As we walked together, far from the earshot of others, talking about school matters, he suddenly changed the subject and told me that, yes, it was he who had heard my confession earlier. Fantasies, he said, are not, in themselves, wrong. He too had a persistent fantasy — though a very different one from mine. Having taken a vow of celibacy, he fantasized what it would be like to live a “normal” life, with a wife a children, whom he could love, educate, and care for. If I had a daughter, he said, I would hope she would be just like you.

We talked some more, and, by whatever means, a symbiosis emerged, one about which neither of us had dreamed, but which we obviously both wanted and needed. The next time we met, it was not on the school grounds, but in an out-of-the-way café in one of the suburbs of the city. He was dressed this time not as a priest but in the slacks and turtleneck sweater of a typical Italian middle-class businessman. I was dressed in a semi-revealing top and skirt that were all the rage among Italian teenagers of the day. For the rest of the afternoon, we were father and daughter. He took me shopping, sightseeing, and dining. Two weeks later, we met again, and then again. Soon, we had established a definite pattern: once every two weeks we each escaped into our intermeshing fantasy worlds — he as a man of the world and me as his daughter. Let me emphasize, your eminences, that the relationship was totally chaste. The most intimate thing we ever did was that he would give me a fatherly kiss on the forehead when our meetings came to an end.

We toured museums and galleries, during the summer we went to the seashore and the mountains. We talked of many things — of the history of Rome, of its architecture and art, of its customs and traditions. We talked of fashions and popular culture, but also of the world and where it was going. We saw, and discussed, how the church was becoming less and less relevant to the lives of the ordinary citizens. We even stopped into churches at random and saw the boredom and irrelevance of it all, from the point of view of the audience sitting before an indifferent and self-absorbed priest, mumbling mainly to himself.

And I was growing up. I finished my school days and started studying in a seminary. My Father and Protector was advancing in the church hierarchy. One day, he asked me what I saw my future to be. In my role as his daughter, to which I had become so accustomed, I answered what was truthfully in my mind: I want to become a nun. Not a cloisered nun, father, but one out in the world, who works with the poor.

At our next meeting, he was not alone, but rather with a woman his age. Though she was not dressed in a habit, I quickly recognized her as Sister Sophia, founder of the famous order of poor sisters known and praised in the popular press as the “midnight angels of Rome” -- nuns who roam the city streets late at night, locating and taking care of the poor, the homeless, and the neglected. Sophia was a world-wise woman. She had been a fashionable courtesan of considerable repute in her day who, suddenly, left her profession at the height of her renown and joined the church. She had met many “girls” like me, and was not in the least shocked by it. After a long and probing talk, she accepted me into her order.

For the next twenty years, your eminences, I spent my nights as Sister Mary-Anne, the midnight angel. Along with other sisters of the order, I fed the hungry, found shelter for the homeless, clothed the naked, and comforted the despondent. I held girls of 13 and 14 in my arms as they tried to overcome the effects of excessive of alcohol or drugs, I midwifed dozens of babies in dirty alleys or in the backrooms of brothels, and made sure that mother and infant were sent to hospitals for proper care. I helped rescue women abused by their lovers, their husbands, or their pimps. I saw, and experienced, aspects of this city which you never see through the smoked glass windows of your limousines, nor can you possibly imagine.

And during the day, I continued my life first in the seminary and then, after ordination, as theological scholar and, later, teacher. You are all, I am sure, familiar with some of the many books and articles I wrote during that period, though many of you do not agree with them. My fantasy meetings with my Father and Protector stopped, as he was promoted and transferred to a city in the north of Italy, but I was already carving my own path upwards in the Vatican establishment. When J** was selected as Holy Father, I for the first time found that I could really influence the way the church was moving. This consumed all of my time and attention, and my nighttime existence as Sister Mary-Anne came to an end. I miss it still, for in my mind it was the most Christian labor I have ever done.

Upon the pope's tragic death, and as I lost the ability to help move events in the direction I felt necessary, my attention returned to my own self and I felt it was time to put my own soul in order. As you know, I applied for, and was granted, a leave of absence in order to meditate and pray. I chose a hermitage not far from Mount Tabor in the Galilee, where Christ himself had walked. There, surrounded by olive and almond trees, I was able, for the first time, to carefully consider my own predicament.

In Verse 27 of Chapter 1 of Genesis, we read about the creation of man, the following words, in the original Hebrew: “zachar u-nkevah braam”, which are generally translated as “male and female He created them”. The Hebrew conjunction “u” is generally interpreted as creating a dichotomy: EITHER male OR female. However, that is probably not a correct reading. It should more likely be considered as conjective: BOTH male AND female. (I will not tire you with a detailed philological analysis, but I ended up writing a long monograph on this with Prof. Evyatar Etsion of the Department of Biblical Philology of the Hebrew University in Jerusalem, which is now in press and which should be published shortly.) In other words, the soul of every human being has both a male and female aspect. One of these, as a rule, is more dominant than the other. However, both must be there in some measure.

When the dominant aspect of this gender identity corresponds to the physical characteristics of the body in which the soul sits, as is usually the case, there is no problem. But what if that does not happen? In the middle ages, a disfigured body was assumed to mirror a disfigured soul, and the clubfooted and hare lipped were social outcasts. We, of course, no longer believe that today. A club foot or a hare lip can be remedied surgically, and none of you would say that doing so is interfering with God’s plan. Why is it not the same for the case of gender? If, in my soul, the female aspect dominates, while my body is that of a male, is it wrong for me to surgically alter my mundane body to fit my God-given soul? Or must I torture my eternal soul in order to make it fit my mundane body?

On these questions, your eminences, I pondered for many months, before I reached the conclusion I reached. I am now in the process of writing them up in a formal, and rather lengthy, monograph, and I beg your indulgence and pardon that it will not be ready for several more months.

Towards the end of my sabbatical, I saw my path clear. A quick trip to Bangkok, and the hands of a very gifted and understanding surgeon, gave me the harmony between body and soul which I have craved since childhood. I am at peace with myself and, I believe, with my God. I pray that I will be at peace with my church as well.”

With those words, Cardinal O’Connor ended her testimony, and asked if there are any questions that need clarification. “Just one,” replied Cardinal Leone. “I would like to know the identity of the man you called your Father and Protector, the man who started you on the most terrible path that led to your present condition.” “I cannot reveal it,” replied Mary-Anne. He is no longer in this world, and I do not want to harm his blessed memory by having his name come out.” “We order you to reveal his name,” replied Cardinal Leone. “Remember that this tribunal is closed, and its protocols will never be made public.” “That assurance is not enough -- as we all know, leaks happen even at the Vatican. I will reveal his name,” replied Mary-Anne, “only if you add to that protection the seal of the confessional. If you all agree that this is as a confession, which must never be revealed to anyone on pain of death.” The cardinals in the room nodded their assent, and all secretaries and assistants left the room. Only ordained priests remained.

“You all knew him,” replied Mary-Anne, “under his apostolic name, Pope J**. He was my Father and Protector. After he named me cardinal, he joked with me in private that many popes in the past had been guilty of nepotism for naming their sons as cardinals, but he would surely go down as the first, to have named his daughter.”

After Cardinal O’Connor left the room, the tribunal met to consider its decision, which was announced the next day in a meeting open to the public and the press.

“The sole reason for removing a person from the College of Cardinals for reason other than physical inability to perform his duties is if a sin had been committed which led to that person’s initial nomination or in that person’s actions after nomination. No evidence of such a sin has been presented to the tribunal as yet. Moreover, interesting theological questions have been raised, which require much further study and consideration. Until the time such study is completed, or further evidence is presented, this tribunal will be adjourned. During the period of adjournment, Cardinal O’Connor will retain her position as a cardinal of the church.”

Mary-Anne, and everyone else in the room, including the representatives of the press, immediately grasped the significance of the pronoun in the last sentence. The tribunal would never be reconvened.

EPILOGUE: A few weeks after the events related above, Cardinal O'Connor was sitting in the Vatican Library when Ernesto Cardinal della Rovere, the oldest member of her tribunal, came up to her. "As you may know," he said, "I was very close to the late Holy Father J** when both of us were on the staff of the archbishop of Milan. One night, after a very long day of intensive work, he let slip that he had a daughter, whose progress in life he was following very closely. I assumed that this was the result of one of those temptations to which we all are subject at some point or another in our lives, and said the usual comforting words. 'This is very different,' he replied, 'and she is a very special daughter indeed. I would not be surprised if, one day, she will be chosen as Pope.' "

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.

up
44 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Makes One Wonder

What a perfectly marvelous feat, Melissa, to take such an unlikely event and make it real. Your knowledge of the Church and its processes is so impressive. The story flows easily.

Just some minor thoughts: I might like to see the characters for completely fleshed out. Perhaps this may be accomplished by using more dialogue to carry out the narractive, and by adding some more phsyical description of the characters. I'd like to get to know Cardinal O'Connor betters as well.

But, I loved it, and look forward to the rest of the story. Katherine

First Woman Cardinal

WOW!
Thanks Mellissa for this wonderful story. I call myself a Christ and belive in God.These guys in dresses who call themself servants to God are most of the time so narrowminded ,as you said:They see the world only threw their tinted windows of their cars...
Well, a story about this topic needs a lot of guts to post it and i am proud that you have done it.
My problem(lack of english skills) is to express myself in a story like this.
Think to yourself readers if you ever point with your indexfinger to somebody else, at least 3 fingers of your hand point to yourself.

God bless you Melissa
and thanks again for this story over this topic.

Ego calamavi,quoniam exaudisti me Deus.
Inclina aurem tuam,et exaudi verba mea.
De porfundis clamavi ad te,Domine,exaudi vocem meam.

Sidonie

the cardinal's a 'bird'

kristina l s's picture
I saw this a few days ago on FM. Not being over fond of organised religion of any persuasion I was going to skip it. But there were a number of reviews that I took a look at. They decided me to read. I am glad I did. This is, depsite the title, not exactly a religious story. It deals with aspects of catholicism but that is almost a side issue. It is a story of acceptance and belief. Which is not neccesarily the same thing. Too short actually, but still beautifully done. If only the politics of 'churches' were that forgiving the world would be a more peaceful place. Take each as they are not as you think they should be. Good and bad are in us all. Mostly good is in front by a nose, or better, I think. I may not share all your beliefs but I acknowledge your freedom to do so. Oh, I think the epilogue is an add on. But hey, why not. Nice work Melissa Kristina

Appreciated the Postscript...

...since there appeared to be no way for the reader to corroborate Cardinal O'Connor's testimony.

It does make me wonder, though, how J** could have been elected pope, if someone in the College of Cardinals had been made aware -- and not in the confessional, so he'd almost feel obliged to quietly spread the word however much he liked J** personally -- that J** had a daughter somewhere, genetic or otherwise, whose existence would seriously embarrass the Holy Church if J** were elected and she were exposed.

I'm guessing that the thought would enter the minds of at least some of the Cardinals that the situation, in a way, still applies: if they eject O'Connor from the College, she'd be in a position to make claims about the late pope, however unsubstantiated, that their denials couldn't completely deflect. (That'd be especially true if the time of this story isn't too different from the present, with the past behavior of members of the clergy around children and teens coming under greater scrutiny.) Delaying the decision as long as they can may well be the Cardinals' best move.

(True, O'Connor was adamant about the information not coming out. But I'm inclined to doubt that her opponents on the committee trust her enough to be certain that she wouldn't spread it if denied.)

A cynical take? Sure. But these people don't like each other, or at least each other's positions: O'Connor doesn't at all mind lecturing her judges. "I saw, and experienced, aspects of this city which you never see through the smoked glass windows of your limousines..."

(Or is this one of those times when it takes me an hour or two to reach a conclusion that the author and other readers found obvious? If so, sorry about that...)

Eric

Nice twist, upon further research, this could happen...

...sometime in the future, not the near future, but it does have possibilities. The chance that this could occur, makes this story even more interesting and enjoyable. Giggle, giggle.

Thank You Melissa for taking the time to private message me. You made me pause and do a little more research on the subject.

GREAT TWIST made even greater by the fact that it could actually happen!

Huggles
Angel

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

what is and what can be

Let me make it clear to what Angel is referring -- matter we discussed in e-mails. The College of Cardinals, according to the Catholic Encyclopedia, is an advisory group appointed by the Pope, which also selects the next Pope (replacing "the people of Rome", who previously selected the pope). There is no requirement that it has to be made up only of priests, though in the past few generations that has been the case. There have been many non-priests who have been cardinals in the past, including the famous Cardinal Mazarin of France and Cardinal Antonelli, who was Secretary of State of the Vatican under Pope Pius IX. Many cardinals, however, are chosen not for their piety or theological expertise but for their wordly knowledge (such as the late Cardinal Marcinkus, who was head of the Vatican Bank until he was linked to financial scandals in the 1980's). In the story, Cardinal O'Connor is in fact an ordained priest, though he is the first to say that, after becoming a woman, he can no longer practice his priestly functions.

There is also no formal requirement that the College of Cardinals has to be made up only of men, though that has been the case in the past. It is quite possible that some day a future Pope may decide to appoint a woman -- say the head of a large Catholic organization like CARITAS or the mother-superior of an influential order of nuns -- to the College, possibly to finesse the demand for women in the priesthood.

Cardinal O'Connor, in the story, is a theological scholar who has never held a pastoral office, nor has he been a bishop. But then, the real-life Avery Cardinal Dulles, a professor at Notre Dame is also a theological scholar who, as far as I can tell, never held a pastoral office and certainly has never been a bishop.

Now for your next project Melissa

How about having a conservative republicans son or even the republican himself, say a congressman or a senator, go through SRS and see what happens? Giggle, giggle.

Huggles
Angel

"Be Your-Self, So Easy to Say, So Hard to Live!"

If only...

this were a true account, and the Catholic Church did come off of its high horse and started acting like real Christians.

This is a really good story, that should be sent to the Pope and the Vatican Council in Rome. It probably wouldn't do any good, and I really feel sorry for all those so-called Christians, who will have a lot of explaining to do, when they are asked why they judged their neighbor falsely.

Thank you Melissa for a very heart warming story.

With super love & big as the sky hugs
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."