Green With Envy-3

Printer-friendly version
Green With Envy 3
by Lynceus

Alena Scott has finally achieved her dream, having been deputized as the new Green Lantern of Earth. But she still has a lot to learn about her powers, and herself...

-

I'm in a dark place. Everything is cold here, and only my power keeps me warm. Here, where no light has shone for thousands of years. I raise my ring above my head, and cry out a challenge to the thing that waits in the shadows.

And I shall shed my light over dark evil. For dark things cannot stand the light, the light of the Green Lantern!

It is my last act of defiance. I will the ring to destroy my body, and set the Star Heart free. And there was light, and I saw that it was good...

Chapter Four: Revelations

I woke up in a cold sweat. That dream, it had been so real! I felt cold, like I would never be warm again. In a daze, I made my way to the bathroom, and turned on the shower, letting the heated water rain down on me. It was several minutes before the warmth made it's way to my core.

I stepped out of the shower, steam rising off of my naked skin, and I willed a bathrobe to form around me. I wiped away the condensation on the mirror's surface, and looked at myself. A teenaged girl, pretty, with dark green hair and my eyes glow with a soft green light. If you look very closely, you can see a tiny green flame dancing in the pupil of my eyes. That's the Green Flame, what the Green Lantern Corps calls the 'Star Heart'.

The Star Heart is a part of me now, and is the source of my powers. From what the Star Heart has said, the ring only acts as the focus for the power that burns inside me. Which raises an interesting question...

“So what happens if I take off, or lose the ring?”

YOUR WILL IS NOT STRONG ENOUGH TO CHANNEL MY POWER DIRECTLY. THE RING ACTS AS AN AMPLIFIER OF SORTS. ATTEMPTING TO WIELD MY POWER WITHOUT IT WOULD BE DANGEROUS FOR US BOTH.

“Figures.” I sighed. “Basically, I could never be a Green Lantern on my own.”

ALENA, LISTEN TO MY WORDS.

I blinked. The Star Heart had never used my name before, it always called me 'mortal' or 'young one'.

DO NOT THINK YOU ARE NOT WORTHY. MANY HAVE USED MY POWER IN THE PAST, FOR SELFISH REASONS AND SELFLESS ALIKE. BEFORE I MET YOU, I DID NOT UNDERSTAND THE DIFFERENCE. I AM LEARNING, HOWEVER. YOUR HEART IS PURE, AND THAT GIVES YOU A POWER NO LESS STRONG THAN THAT OF WILL.

“What kind of lame power is Heart, anyways?” I shook my head.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND THIS POWER, BUT I CANNOT DENY IT'S MIGHT, THIS THING YOU CALL 'COMPASSION'.

“Compassion? Me?” I tried to wrap my mind around that.

YOU CONSIDER ALL LIFE SACRED. YOU CARE ABOUT THE FATE OF OTHERS.

“I wouldn't go that far. I can think of a lot of people I don't care for.”

INDEED, BUT IF THEY WERE IN DANGER, YOU WOULD TRY TO SAVE EVEN YOUR ENEMY.

I frowned. “Ok. I guess you have a point. But that's not always the best choice, is it?”

WHO IS THE BETTER PERSON? THE ONE WHO TRIES TO SAVE EVERYONE, OR THE ONE WHO TRIES TO SAVE NO ONE?

I didn't know what to say to that.

-

I made my way back to my room. I knew I wasn't going to get to sleep any time soon, so I sat down at my computer. Jade had given me a disc containing information about her Power Ring. We still weren't sure what my ring could do that her's couldn't, or vice versa, but this was at least a starting point.

As I went down the list, however, I started to understand why Jade had wanted to take my powers from me. I held up my hand, staring at the ring in shock. This thing was dangerous!

I'm not going to go over everything right now, but just listen to some of the high points:

Flight at relativistic speeds. Just thinking about it, I was glad that this was apparently off the table. Opening rifts in space and time to allow for near-instantaneous travel. Destructive plasma bolts. Time Travel. Seriously?

Creation and emission of various types of radiation, size manipulation, teleportation...heck, the ring could even accelerate healing, reattach limbs, and even more, based on the user's medical knowledge!

If you gave a Power Ring to a doctor, imagine the lives you could save! “A lot more than I could.” I sighed. The more I learned about the things a Green Lantern could do, the more doubts I had. I needed to talk to someone. Standing up, I changed into my costume and reached into my 'utility belt'.

I'm not sure what happens to the contents when I change into another outfit, but nothing ever seems damaged. Maybe my ring stashes things in a sub-dimension or something? I pulled out the ring Jade gave me. It wasn't a full Green Lantern ring, of course. It only replicated a few functions, the AI was pretty crude compared to Jade's ring. It could provide me with a holographic disguise...I didn't really need that, but it was a universal translator (handy), and could communicate with other ring wearers.

I put it on my right hand. “List of online users?”

One user found: Doris Zeul-Giganta.

I frowned. I'd never met her, so I didn't feel like just randomly calling her up to chat. I sat back down. None of my friends would be of any use, and both Mom and Ali were sleeping. Maybe I should just try to go back to sleep.

Then the ring glowed, and I heard a sexy female voice. “Hey, can't sleep?”

I blinked. “Uh, no. Is this Giganta?”

She chuckled. “Call me Doris, please. Hope I'm not bothering you, I had the ring set to alert me when someone came on.”

“You were hoping to catch Jade, huh?”

“Guilty as charged. I haven't met any of the others yet.”

I nodded, then felt like an idiot, since she couldn't see me. “Me neither. I'm Alena.”

“The new Green Lantern, yeah. She mentioned you when I talked to her last night.”

“Yeah, she said you got into an actual fight with metas when she came by.”

I heard a groan. “I wouldn't call it much of a fight. I mostly broke up a domestic squabble.” She then told me about Steve and Alyssa.

“Oh man, I can so relate.”

“Really?” Doris sounded surprised.

“Uh...well don't be weirded out or anything, but I used to be a guy.”

“Oh. Oh!” She laughed. “Don't worry, that's something I understand.”

“Wait..you?!”

“I know! It's really hard to believe. I mean, every time I see myself in the mirror, part of me wonders who that drop-dead gorgeous girl is!”

“...yeah. I mean, deep down, I wanted this, but everything is so confusing at the same time...”

“I got lucky, and found someone special. It's too much for one person to deal with, I think. Without her, I'd be lost.”

I blinked. “Her?”

“Uh...”

“Sorry, I didn't mean anything. I'm not sure why it surprises me, I mean, you weren't always a girl. The idea of being with a guy, it scares me still.”

“I think it always will. Although I find that I'm acting more like a girl every day. I'm not sure if it's biological or psychological, maybe a bit of both. I'm a lot more emotional, for one. Just yesterday, I hugged my boss. Just like that, out of the blue. As guys, we were taught that hugging was for special occasions, if ever.”

“Ha! And then, it's supposed to be a 'manly' hug. Whatever that means!” I couldn't help but grin.

“Exactly! But girls, they can be more spontaneous. And I'm starting to be the same way. Lena's taught me a lot, but it's still...yeah.”

“Lena? Oh, your, uh, girlfriend.”

“Your names are pretty similar. But hm, you weren't always an Alena. Alan?”

I blushed a bit, and I was glad she couldn't see it! “I know, lame, right?”

She laughed again, but there was no malice in it. “It's better than Doris!”

I leaned back. “It suits you, don't ask me why.”

“I used to be Damon. It wasn't that long ago, but it feels like it's been forever.”

“I haven't been a girl a week yet. But...I feel the same way. Sometimes it's like, I dreamed that I was Alan, but it wasn't my life. Someone else's. And now I'm awake, wondering who I am.”

“I'm not really the best person to give advice, because I'm neck deep in the same issues. But maybe...you need to go find out who you are. Get out of the house, away from any distractions, and have a day to yourself? Maybe then, Alena will start talking to you.”

I frowned. This sounded familiar...”a walkabout?”

“Something like that, yes. I know, it sounds kind of lame, I first heard about the concept from a Sci Fi show...”

No way! “Babylon 5? I love that show!”

“Me too! I just liked how, at least in the first four seasons, everything was tightly plotted, and Straczynski knew where he was going. Well, technically he knew about season five too, but I didn't like it as much. Nowadays, you get stuff like Lost, Heroes, or Galactica..and it's just a big mess.”

“I uh...liked those shows too.” God, I'm such a geek!

She chuckled. “I didn't say I didn't like them, Alena. Relax, we're all nerds here.”

I then heard Jade's voice. “Speak for yourself, Doris.” She sounded a bit sleepy.

Initiating conference mode...

The ring sent a beam of light at my monitor, and the view changed, now I was seeing Jade and Doris on it, with a split screen. Jade did look a bit worn around the edges, and was wearing her uniform. Doris, on the other hand, was naked, and I got a pretty good look.

Wow, that girl is fine!

DORIS: Jade! At least warn somebody! (She must have activated her ring, because a nightgown appeared on her body. It was emerald green in color, so I imagine she simply thought 'cover up, fast!' without giving her ring any specific instructions. Although...the color went really well with her bright red hair).

JADE: Sorry Doris, I'm still waking up.

DORIS: You shouldn't even be awake yet, you look terrible!

JADE: -frown- Thanks for noticing. I don't really need as much sleep as I used to, the ring can keep me up for days. I just have to rest here and there to avoid cracking up.

ALENA: The Star Heart says it can keep me going for a week without sleep, but beyond that, it gets dangerous for me.

DORIS: The what Heart?

ALENA: Ah...it's the source of my powers. I'm not really the same kind of Green Lantern as Jade.

JADE: Short form, The Guardians had this idea that raw, wild magic would cause problems with their Green Lantern project. Turned out they were wrong, but before that, they gathered up as much magic as they could, and locked it away inside a star. It apparently became sentient, and got loose. It acts a lot like a genie, granting wishes and such.

ALENA: I, uh, wished to be a superhero.

JADE: As I recall, you wished to be a superhero like me.

ALENA: I still need to change my screen saver.

DORIS: Wow. Magic. So you're not really a metahuman...just an ascended fanboy? -wink-

ALENA: Uh...yeah.

DORIS: Don't be nervous. If there was someone like Jade around when I was your age, I probably would have had a few posters of her myself.

JADE: -cough- I'm not sure how I feel about being a pinup for some teenaged boy.

DORIS: Should have thought about that before you put on a skin-tight uniform and made yourself the most popular girl on the planet! Think about how I feel, I'm walking fetish fuel!

JADE: You just had to step on someone in front of a live feed, didn't you?

DORIS: It seemed like a good idea at the time. Heck, before I met Lena, I didn't even know there was a Giantess-fetish!

ALENA: I'm not hearing this.

JADE/DORIS: -laugh-

DORIS: At least Jade made it so I don't have to run around naked anymore. I'm sure that got me more than my fair share of male attention.

JADE: You are pretty high-profile. You do realize, Luthor knows where you are now?

DORIS: Yeah. But I'm more concerned about Alyssa and Steve. There's no way a guy like Steve would have chosen to become a pre-teen succubus, even subconsciously. This was done to him..her...intentionally, by someone else. At least, if I'm right about how the metagene works.

JADE: My ring says...one moment.

POWER RING (SECTOR 2814): Dr. Zeul's hypothesis is remarkably sound, and matches all of the data collected so far. Metahuman abilities are triggered by extreme mental states, and respond to a variety of factors, not the least of which include subconscious desires and environmental triggers. The resulting powers seem empathic in nature as well, and respond to the metahuman's will. There seems to be a parallel to the way the Power Rings function, although without access to Guardian archives, this is merely conjecture.

ALENA: I'm lost. Your ring makes about as much sense as the Star Heart.

JADE: It's been getting kind of chatty lately. I'm not really sure why. Although it's very much a smart-ass.

ALENA: I can't even begin to describe the Star Heart. Terribly mysterious?

DORIS: Like The Sphinx?

ALENA: -laugh-

JADE: I don't get it.

DORIS: Long story. Anyways, let me see if I can simplify what the ring is saying. Let's say, for example, you were born with an intersex condition that left you looking mostly female, but, for whatever reason, your parents decided you had to be a boy. Deep down, you want to be a woman, but you can't consciously admit that to yourself or others. We'll go even further, and say you have long had the desire to be tall and strong, because you're neither.

Then someone tries to kill you, and you're exposed to a formula that's supposed to cause cell growth and strength enhancement. Would you be surprised if you ended up a tall, beautiful woman, who has superhuman strength, and can increase her size?

ALENA: I didn't realize you were talking about yourself until the end.

DORIS: Don't worry about it. At first I thought my powers were because of the formula, Dr. Zhan's 'Athena', but I can't explain why I can grow to over 60' in height. I mean, where does the mass come from? Where does it go?

ALENA: Another dimension?

DORIS: There's a pleasant thought. An entire dimension filled with nothing but girl goo?

JADE: At least it's pretty girl goo.

ALENA: The power rings can alter your size as well, at least according to the disc you gave me.

JADE: Really? I...uh...haven't had much time to read the instruction manual in detail.

ALENA: Yeah, get this. Each ring has a microscopic habitat built inside of it. In an emergency, you can shrink down and actually enter your own ring, and survive in there indefinitely!

JADE: ...seriously? Ok, that's it, I'm going to find the time to read those files myself. They read like stereo instructions to me, how did you get through them so fast?

ALENA: I've always been a fast reader. Besides, I'm a gamer, I'm used to obscurely-written rulebooks.

DORIS: I used to play Dungeons & Dragons in college. I imagine it's only gotten worse since then.

ALENA: -blink- College? How old are you, exactly?

DORIS: -grin- It's not polite to ask a lady her age, you know. I'll be thirty in a few months.

A very pretty girl with short dark hair appeared next to Doris. She was also very nude.

LENA: Well good morning, ladies. Is this a private conversation?

DORIS: -irritated- Lena! Put a shirt on, will you?

LENA: It's not like you have any shirts I can wear! Just a second, I'll get us both something to drink. (She got up at this point, and I got a quick glance at her rather shapely behind).

DORIS: -glare- She's mine!

LENA: (her voice came from a distance) I love it when you get jealous!

JADE: Anyways...according to Steve and Alyssa, they were being held in some secret facility. They escaped during some confusion; the place was either attacked, or someone else busted out at the same time. I poked around the site, but it's a total wash. Whoever built it was paranoid about their secrets getting out.

LENA: (she sat down, and now she was at least wearing a shirt. I couldn't see if she was wearing anything else, however) Well I know who that sounds like. Daddy Warbucks himself.

ALENA: Who?

LENA: Lex Luthor. I'm his daughter.

ALENA: Ooh. Uh...I'm sorry?

LENA: I like her! We should have her over some time, baby.

DORIS: -rolls eyes- I like her too, but I'm hoping you meant a social visit.

LENA: You could call what I had in mind socializing.

ALENA: -blush-

JADE: Ok, it's way too early for this conversation. Doris, keep an eye out for metahuman activity in your vicinity, and watch out for LexCorp minions.

DORIS: Say, what about Alyssa and Steve?

JADE: I'm helping them out for now. I got Faraday's help.

DORIS: The Devil Himself!

JADE: I know, I really can't trust the U.S. Government farther than my ring can toss it, but there's limits to even my resources. I'm really hoping I can get a base of operations out of them. I mean, yeah, I got a starship, but it's only so big, plus, it's not like I can teleport you up here.

ALENA: Supposedly the rings can let you teleport. And phase. And become invisible.

JADE: -grumpy- Damn ring, never tells me that stuff when it would come in handy.

ALENA: Like chasing down girls with dangerous toys?

JADE: Ok, I'm going to try and get some more sleep. You guys make me feel tired. Alena, you should try to do the same, I'll be by later this afternoon for your training.

ALENA: -salute- Yes Ma'am. It was good meeting you, Doris. And you too, Lena.

DORIS: Anytime you need to talk, Alena.

LENA: -waves- I think someone should make me breakfast!

DORIS: -sigh- Yes, Mistress. Later. (CONNECTION CLOSED)

JADE: Sweet dreams, kid. (CONNECTION CLOSED)

I sighed. Maybe I should tell Jade about my dream? Nah, she'd just think I was crazy..

To be continued...

up
136 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I loved it!

It was so cool when Alena knew more about Jade's ring than Jade, herself.I love how casual the conversation got (Lena walks in, says Hi, I'm hungry, and back out. So relaxed in the face of the impossible. I want to see a conference call with Everybody. That should be nuts.).
Speaking of everybody, I'm still hoping to see more of our shape shifting sibling, Ali. Interesting possibilities, there.
Keep it coming!

Wren

I've been

Snickering for the entire exchange! ^_^

Af it's not a mark of a Well Done I don't know what is! :)

I was thinking about suggeting Green Flame making portals, but you are ahead of me here!

Also, shrinking? Can you say, mote in the eye?

Also, pretty girl goo? :D

Also, how many kinds of stupid is it NOT reading the manual for your Power Ring? It's supposedly THE most powerful DC weapon. I mean, even the basic solid light constructs are a rage! And I have many more things in mind for it!

Hmmm, a pity though that without the ring Alena can't safely wield the 'lame' power of 'Star' Heart, but what about, say, cloaking oneself in wreathing green flames? It would have been soooo cool!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

I didn't intend to make Jade

I didn't intend to make Jade seem dumb or anything, the character seems pretty bright (to me), but the whole Green Lantern business has a very steep learning curve. Plus, in theory, Jade can always just ask her ring for suggestions on how to complete a task. Given the fact that she was immediately thrust into the job of protecting her sector, without being given a trainer, I think Jade is doing pretty good, and lapses like this are forgivable.

Alena, however, has to learn what her powers can do; the Star Heart isn't always that helpful, as you have seen! Plus, she's still a rookie; she can afford to take an afternoon off to read a technical manual until her eyes bleed.

It may also just be that Jade is a hands-on kind of person, who does things intuitively, and Alena is simply more cautious and logical. Being a Green Lantern implies a certain level of arrogance; you gotta have some serious stones to fly off into outer space with nothing but the ring's power for protection. What if it were to fail for some reason? One dead Lantern!

This is why Lanterns are chosen for their fearless nature. They don't worry about these minore details. Hal Jordan in the comics was a test pilot, he was used to having to trust untested technology.

Alena isn't a big risk taker; she would never have been chosen to become a Green Lantern under normal circumstances. Like the comics Alan Scott, or Kyle Rayner, she sort of happened to be in the right place, at the right time, to receive the power. It doesn't make her less heroic, but she isn't going to blindly trust in her powers, either.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.

Hey! Jade was a guy through and through right?

Diesel Driver's picture

Guys do things, girls read manuals right? Give us a gadget/widget and we instinctively know how to work it (very carefully worded that little bit of sarcasm).

So Jade, being a guy, hasn't learned how to be a girl yet because of being in the swamp up to her eyebrows so to speak, and hasn't had time to realize that taking time to read the instruction manual can save a ton of time in the long run. This looks like the bonk on the noggin that gets her attention and she will, probably, read the manual now. Or she COULD have Alena be her instructor.

Chris in CA (yes I read manuals first, does that make me a girl at the core? if so, then I'm a lesbian too.)

Chris

Fun!

Apart from the very scary Green Flame dream (particularly odd since when the flame does communicate with her, it seems to be very content with its host, and like its host, is also on a learning curve), this was an enjoyable romp - particularly the conference call :)

Actually, thinking of the Green Flame, so far, most of its conversations have been internal to Alena, whereas Jade's ring is audibly chatty. Perhaps Alena needs to will the Flame to be audible at times (e.g. when with the other members of the gang).

Hopefully it won't be too long before Alena gets to meet the gang - and possibly bring Ali along for the ride (after all, just because she's a GG and isn't a protagonist, it doesn't necessarily mean she can't have a slice of the action herself!)

It'll also be interesting to see if Alyssa and Steve reappear and what role they play in the future.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Why did you think

The dream had something to do with the Green Flame's displeasure? I read it as lashing aganist the Darkness...

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Green With Envy-3

What if say Luthor has another piece of the Star Heart and has put it into his version of Metallo? Metallo was a cyborg built to house the brain of a human, but fueled with kryptonite.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

So substitute one green rock

So substitute one green rock from space with another, eh? Not a bad idea, but I can think of a better power source for Retcon-Metallo... ^_^

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.

Fun Chat

terrynaut's picture

I like the chat session between the characters. I thought it was fun. It had its serious side but there was quite a lot of playfulness too.

I really like Alena. I think she's my favorite retcon character so far, though I'd like to see her sister too. Please don't forget Ali.

Thanks for another story.

- Terry

You're very welcome, I'll be

You're very welcome, I'll be adding more later tonight. It does seem that Alison is becoming an ensemble dark horse, I may have to give her a solo adventure ^-^

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause-of-effect...but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly...timey-wimey...stuff.

I just now got around to reading this.

Amy_Daemon's picture

And now there is another one to read ... Wow, at this rate I'm going to have a hard time getting around to typing in my next Poison Ivy story.

But I like your writing so much, that I'm not complaining.

*hugs*

A stranger is just a friend that you haven't met yet.

Of the opinion that the dream

Of the opinion that the dream is the subconscious and heart star starting to merge and is signaling
to the conscious to give up self.
Heavy, Heavy.

alissa