The Green Fog~14

Printer-friendly version

I made a snap decision; if nothing was done, we would run aground heavily on the other side of the river...

Angel

 



Chapter 14

Previously…

I gazed out of the windscreen and saw the northern slipway up ahead coming closer and closer. We hadn’t slowed down and didn’t look as if we would. It didn’t matter, nothing mattered now. I just wanted to sleep––

–But I didn’t sleep. The others were dead to the world, but I was still awake. I glanced at my bare knee and noticed that I had gashed it quite badly and it was bleeding.

The noise was deafening. There was no reduction in the volume as we approached the bank. The green fog swirled about me, invading, clinging, making me want to tear my mask off and end it all.

I couldn’t see much, but out of the window, I could see the north bank of the river fast approaching with nothing to stop us crashing into it––

And now the story continues…

Erskine to Dunoon

I made a snap decision; if nothing was done, we would run aground heavily on the other side of the river. It may not harm us because, let’s face it, the ferry was only going a little faster than walking pace, but if we didn't slow down we might jolt the bus forward or scrape the bottom of the hull but as I was the only one awake–for some reason the fog wasn’t affecting me–I would try and get up to the bridge. I grabbed a grubby towel and put it over my nose and mouth. Wincing I stood up. I was very conscious of the pain in my leg, but I had no more time to think. Very soon we would collide with the slipway.

I ran outside, my eyes smarting from the fog, unable to see very clearly as the green mist swirled around me. I had thoughts in my head of doom and destruction and just wanting to lie down and accept what was going to happen, but every step I took, I felt a stab of pain that distracted me from such thoughts.

I rushed across the deck, up the steep metal steps and wrenched open the wheelhouse door. Mr MacTavish was lying on the floor, his arms outstretched as if he was trying to reach out to someone. His smouldering pipe was clutched in his hand. I moved quickly to the lever that controlled the engine and moved it to the centre which I hoped would neutralise the engine.

I could feel the heavy vibration through my feet die down slightly as the engine responded to what I had done.

I had no idea if I had done the right thing. It seemed like we were approaching the slipway faster than I wanted. I just held on to the lever–waiting–waiting––

~ §~

The green fog was beginning to drift away now and I could see things a bit more clearly. The other fog–in my brain with its equally strange effects–was clearing too.

Were we slowing down?

Yes, I could see for certain that approach to the bank was slowing noticeably. There were other levers and one that might have been some sort of brake, but I dared not use it in case I made the position worse.

Slower and slower we went but did not actually stop until we scraped into other side with a slight jolt. I teetered forward a bit myself, but it wasn’t too bad. Mr MacTavish had rolled over on impact and I could see his face now. He looked as if he was asleep. I bent down–wincing slightly as my leg was quite painful–and touched his face. He was still slightly warm, but there was no doubt that he was dead, because his sightless eyes looked up at a point high above my shoulder. I gently closed his eyes and stood up. I had to see how the others were.

Looking out, I could see the ferry was stationary, the chains holding it in place. She had run aground on the slipway, but not as gently as she would, had Mr MacTavish been driving her.

I wasted no more time and went down the companionway to the car deck and boarded the bus. The others were still asleep, except Ben, who had just woken up as if from a nap. He stood up, stretched and with tail wagging came to me.

‘Hello, boy; well, the fog doesn't seem to do you much harm does it? Let’s go up front and see if the there’s any damage.’

Ben followed me out of Bessie as I went forward; luckily, she–Bessie–had not moved so that was a good thing. Walking forward on the flat deck I was aware that the engine was still chugging away, but I hadn't a clue how to stop it: fortunately the mechanism that pulled the chain was stopped. As far as I could see there was virtually no visible damage. The chains had held us in position and I think that the only damage that could have been done was when the hull of the ferry had scraped the submerged section of the slipway. I had been on this ferry before, some years ago, and wondered what would have happened had I not been able to slow her down. The very thought made me shiver.

I lowered the loading ramp to the slipway as Mr MacTavish had shown me, and Ben and I made our way to dry land. The chains seemed to be secure and should hold the ferry there until someone came along and discovered her.

Stopping for a moment, I wiped the blood off my leg with the towel that was still in my hand. It was a nasty gash and was still bleeding slightly. I would have to get that sorted out when I had time, but for the moment, I took the scarf from round my neck and tied it roughly in place. Glancing to my right, I noticed the bank of green fog in the distance heading towards the centre of Glasgow. I wondered how many people were still alive in that great city.

I felt grimy and dirty from the coal stoking and all that had happened since. I was really looking forward to finding somewhere where we could get cleaned up and out of these stinky clothes.

‘Come on, Ben,’ I called. He had gone off to the side to lift his leg and was now sniffing a dead cat.

‘Ben, NO! You don’t want to catch something nasty’

Reluctantly he came over, his expression seeming to accuse me of dog cruelty or something equally sinister. I had no time for his nonsense because I had to check that the others were all right.

‘Come on, Ben. I’ll get you some biscuits later.’

As I climbed in Bessie, I could hear groans as the others started to wake up. I went straight to Arthur and he seemed all right as he was looking up at me and smiling. Judging by the smell, though, he had nothing to smile about.

Several boxes had fallen over and it was all a bit of a mess. Before we set off properly we would have to stow everything away securely.

‘Where am I?’ came from one of the seats near the front. I went to see how Eve was. She was rubbing her head.

‘Oh, my head’ she groaned, ‘and I’ve gone and wet my ,knickers again!’

I smiled. ‘Judging by the smell you aren’t the only one. Thank heavens for leather seats.’

She looked at me suspiciously. ‘Judging by the smug look on your face, I don’t suppose you’ve done it?’

‘No, but I have been busy saving everyone’s lives.’

‘What?’

‘We’ll talk later. There’s some aspirins in the medical box. Do you want to fish some out for everyone?’

‘All right, but there’s something fishy going on here.’

‘Well,’ I laughed as I glanced around noticing signs of movement from everyone, ‘we are on a river!’

Ten minutes later, everyone was more or less awake. So we wasted no time getting off the ferry. After lowering the loading ramp and starting the engine we disembarked, drove up the slipway and along the Erskine Ferry Road. We stopped off on a verge at the side of the road and then proceeded to clean up ourselves and Bessie.

We only had bottled water, so had to make do with a lick and a promise–as Mummy used to say–but after we had changed, we felt a wee bit cleaner and all set to face the world–sort of–

Jeanie brewed up some tea. The other’s throats were quite dry after the oxygen, and I, of course, never turn down the cup that refreshes!

As we sat on the verge, I told them about the fate of old Mr MacTavish and all that I had done. They were all sad and we just sat there in silence for a few moments.

Then Jeanie piped up. ‘Your leg, it looks awful. Does it hurt?’

‘A wee bit.’ I confessed, gingerly undoing the now-ruined scarf and peering under it; there was a jagged tear about two inches long which looked angry, red and sore. It felt like it too!

‘Oh, Alex, that’s bad we’ll have to sort that out.’

Eve came over and had a look.

‘That needs stitches,’ she declared.

‘Oh, hark at Doctor Eve,’ I retorted, a bit peevishly.

‘It’s no good having a go at me. If you don’t have that seen to, it’ll turn septic.’

‘She’s right, you know,’ Jeanie added, ‘the last thing you need right now is an infection. There’s nothing for it, we’ll have to stitch it up’

‘You can’t do that.’ I cried, feeling very squeamish all of a sudden, ‘and anyway, we haven’t got any anaesthetic.’

‘Oh yes we have,’ Jeanie replied with too much smugness in her voice for my liking,

~ §~

Bessie’s back seat filled her full width so it was used as an improvised operating table. Lots of hot water was boiled up for some reason and Jeanie had found some clean sheets and things. I was wearing only my knickers down below and my leg had been cleaned up first with boiled water, allowed to cool down first and then the wound was dabbed with surgical spirit which made me scream and nearly faint.

Nicola, Arthur, Sarah and Julie were outside, out of earshot–I wished that I was with them.

Amongst the things that Jeanie had taken from the hospital and other places were some syringes of cocaine, needles and surgical thread and a couple of books which she was poring over. She was evidently going to be the surgeon and Eve the nurse. I would like to have said that I have every confidence in them, especially as Jeanie was great with needlework normally. But she had never sewn skin together–and I wasn’t at all happy with pain.

‘Okay, Allie.’ Jeanie told me in a firm, no nonsense manner, ‘Lie down, shut your eyes and think of nice happy things.’

‘How can I do that with you hovering over me with a dirty great syringe with a huge needle?’

‘Oh, don’t be such a baby,’ she said as some of the liquid fountained out of the end of the needle. ‘It’ll only be a little prick.’

Eve kept wiping my brow with a cold wet hankie and was really getting on my nerves. ‘Will you stop that,’ I cried.

‘Ooh, the patient’s getting restless, doctor.’

I sat up waving Eve and her flaming wet hankie away. ‘This isn’t doctors and nurses you’re playing. This is a real live leg, my leg. I don’t want it to drop off so stop playing games.’

‘Sorry,’ they both mumbled as I lay back down again.

‘All right,’ I said, ‘if you are going to do it, please do it and no more games.’

‘Okay, Allie,’ Jeanie replied quietly, ‘we thought that it might relax you. Now, close your eyes; I’ll try not to hurt you.’

Somehow I felt myself grip Eve’s hand strongly. The fact that she only whimpered was a plus in my eyes. I felt the needle go in and the cold liquid that burned after a second. Jeanie did this three times and then stopped. I was pleased then that Eve wiped my hot brow, I felt like fainting, and that was just the injection!

‘Right, honey, that’s that over with. It should go numb in a minute. How d’you feel?’

‘Sick and in pain.’

‘Sorry. I’m trying my best,’ she said, her voice cracking up slightly.

I opened my eyes and saw she was crying. ‘I know, sis; don’t go soft on me now. I’m relying on you.’

I smiled and she smiled back and then carried on reading the medical book. She then started threading the needle that she was going to use, so I shut my eyes again–I really didn’t want to see what happened next.

After a couple of minutes she slapped my leg, although I could hear the slap and feel a sort of pressure, but otherwise it was numb. ‘Feel that?’ she asked.

‘Not really,’ I replied, noting the tremor in my voice.

‘Good, then let’s get on with it–’

It was strange, I could feel the pulling, but there was no pain. It seemed to take ages and then it was over.

‘All done.’

‘Ooh that’s pretty,’ said Eve enthusiastically.

I cracked open an eye and then sat up a bit.

Looking at my leg, I could see that she had done a neat job at sewing the ragged edges together.

‘That’s good,’ I said–and promptly fainted.

~ §~

When I woke up, I was still on the back seat of the bus. It was quiet and I could hear conversations coming from up forward up above the sound of the engine… then I realised that we were on the move. I sat up, squinting down the length of the bus. I saw that Jeanie was driving.

Looking down at my leg, I noticed that somebody had put a skirt on me and I had my leg covered in a crepe bandage. The wound throbbed a bit, but other than that I felt fine. I tried to sit up but felt a bit woozy.

Julie must have noticed me and came back. ‘Awake are we, sleepyhead?’

‘What time is it?’ I asked.

‘Two o’clock.

‘Gosh, I must’ve been asleep for ages,’ I exclaimed.

‘Yes, we thought that we should get a move on, so we are on the road and getting some miles in. We are trying to find somewhere to stop for the night so that we can all have a break.’

‘How is Jeanie’s driving?’

Julie looked a bit embarrassed. ‘Well, she not as good as you and she crashes the gears a lot, and she sometimes says a few naughty words, but other than that, she’s fine.’

‘Oh, right,’ I said, not knowing what else to say.

I sat up and stretched. My leg was throbbing a bit but I wasn’t in any pain. Julie with a smile went back up the bus and sat next to Arthur’s carry cot box. I just sat there for a while getting my mind in gear and looking at the scenery rolling by. I saw a signpost that said Tarbet 5 miles. Looking to the right I recognised Loch Lomond and behind that, the mountain of Ben Lomond, large and gloomy in the now cloudy rain-heavy sky. The roads were wet and it looked like it had just stopped raining–typical weather for up here, but for all that, it was achingly beautiful. Looking out over the loch, there was little indication of the terrible things that had happened.

I love Scotland with her amazing scenery and wonderful people. We were never short of friends–always popping round and looking out for each other when things were a bit hard. The fog had ripped a whole heart out of the community here as well as everywhere else. I missed my parents, as I knew Jeanie did too. The others had all lost theirs and Jeanie and I knew that the chance of our parents or aunt and uncle being alive was extremely slim indeed. For us, this was the last throw of the dice. If they were dead, I didn’t really know what we would do.

I felt hurt, angry, confused, and very unsure of the future–even whether this world actually had a future. The green fog was still around killing indiscriminately, and I wondered when would it all end?

One slight bright spark on the horizon was that I seemed to acquiring some sort of immunity to the fog. I hoped so, because that would be a start.

We arrived at Tarbet a short while later. It was deserted with only a few bodies in the street and two cars that had crashed together and had obviously caught fire.

The main feature in the village was the Tarbet Hotel. Large and imposing, it was used mainly by tourists who wanted to visit Loch Lomond or as a stopover before going on up into the highlands. Jeanie parked in the large car park and switched off the engine.

The views from here of the loch were wonderful as were the mountains and scenery across the water. It seemed strangely quiet and peaceful after the engine was switched off, but not for long, because Arthur, bless him, decided that it was time for some grub.

Jeanie glanced back and saw I was up and about again, so as the others had sorted themselves out, she came and sat beside me.

‘How’re ye daein’, hen?’ she asked.

‘The accent growin’ stronger the nearer we get tae hame?’ I replied smiling. ‘I’m okay, ma leg’s throbbin’ a wee bit but it’s no’ sae bad.’

‘Weel, we’ll stop here the nicht and then gang awa’ on ferrrr Dunoon the morn’s morn; ’s’that okay wi’ ye, hen?’

‘Aye, hen, if ev’rybody agrrrees. I s’pose we could stay at the hotel. Normally ’tis closed for the winter so let’s hope it’s no fu’ o’ deid of bodies.’

‘Amen to that,’ she said, ‘Eve and I are gang tae tak’ a wee look.’

‘I should––’

‘–No, you stay here, nurse’s orders. I want you fighting fit fer the morn sae ye c’n drive–that is, if your leg’s up tae it!’

We both laughed at that as Eve looked strangely at us from the front. I don’t think that she had ever been exposed to our rather rich and wonderful way of speaking when close to home!

~ §~

Jeanie and Eve went to check it over and gave it the all clear. Indeed, they had to break in through a window. It was a bit musty, but after opening a few windows and airing the place, it was fine.

We had a scratch meal in one of the kitchens, using the food and drink that we had brought with us. Outside it was Driech1–with a fine and drizzly rain the that kept up into the evening when it became heavier and the wind grew stronger off the water. This was good, as we didn’t think that we would have any problems from the fog that night, but we still would keep our usual lookout.

Overnight, we camped down in–of all places–the honeymoon suite. This was because it had spectacular views and we could see what was going on up and down the loch.

As was now our custom, we got undressed to go to bed. We had quickly realised that wearing the same clothes day and night was uncomfortable and unnecessary. I was quite tired, so I snuggled down in my sleeping bag and was soon asleep. I had been let off night guard duty, as I wasn’t a hundred percent, and everyone preferred me to be the driver for some reason, including Jeanie; they had a vote on it so I should be fresh for the morning. I wasn’t going to argue!

We were all up bright and early the next day. We had no night visitation from the green pestilence and the clouds had rolled away, leaving a bright and sunny morning, if, maybe, a wee bit cold.

After a quick breakfast, we were soon on our way again. I had taken an aspirin, and my leg felt all right. Jeanie had dressed the wound again before we left and it looked clean, with no sign of infection, so I was passed fit by Doctor Jeanie.

We carried on along the A83 skirting Loch Long’s northern edge and continuing around with the Argyll Forest Park to our right, heading towards Ardgartan. After skirting the village, we continued up the road going through the beautiful Glen Croe, with the forest on either side eventually arriving at Rest And Be Thankful–such a descriptive name–a high point with wonderful views that spilts Glen Croe and Glen Kinglas. Rest and Be Thankful is where the Royal Scottish Automobile Club holds a hill-climb every year on the old road that has now been bypassed. The old road is so narrow and twisty in places that it is doubtful that we would ever have got Bessie up it.

We stopped there for a break and rested, and were thankful. My leg was aching and I wanted to get out and walk about a bit to unkink my leg.

Julie started a brew up and dug out some biscuits. Everyone had a loo break and Arthur had his nappy changed. It was fresh cold and clear up there and we could see for miles. There was no sign of the fog–I was pleased to say–and as I scratched an itching nipple distractedly I wondered once again what we would find a wee bit later when we arrived in Dunoon. I wasn’t wearing stockings today, because of my sair (sore) leg and the draft up my skirt was a wee bitty cool to say the least!

‘A penny for them?’ asked Sarah, who had come over with a steaming tin mug and a shortbread biscuit–Scottish, of course–that we had found a supply of in the hotel at Tarbet.

I turned to her and took the mug and biscuit. ‘Thanks, Sarah. I was just thinking about what we’ll find at Dunoon.’

‘You aren’t raising your hopes, are you?’

‘No. Not really. I’m just desperately hoping that they are all alive, that’s all.’

We stood there for a moment looking at the reflection of the clouds scudding across the mountains. It was clean and fresh this air, not tainted by that awful, choking fog that had blighted everywhere.

All too soon, it was time to be off again. I reckoned that we had about thirty miles to go and I wanted to waste no more time. We clambered back on board and I started old Bessie and we were off, heading towards Cairndow. Eve was sitting next to me in her usual role as navigator, but I didn’t really need her as I knew these roads. Soon we would be leaving the A83 and turning left onto the A815 that led to Dunoon.

~ §~

Nothing of any note happened for the next forty minutes. We found ourselves quite soon by the shores of Loch Eck, a long thin loch that took us ever nearer to our destination. Then we went cross country again and nearly got held up by a number of sheep that had congregated on the road. They looked thin and undernourished, but at least they were alive. We even managed to have a bit of a laugh as we all got out of the bus and shooed them away before being able to continue.

We reached the wide stretch of water that was Holy Loch and drove along by the shore until we reached Sandbank, just outside Dunoon.

Jeanie took the place of Eve as navigator. Everyone was strangely quiet. It had taken us so long to reach here and now we were so close, I think we were almost reluctant to continue as we were so afraid of what we might discover.

The government complex where our parents worked was on a road off to the right just before entering Dunoon. We had visited once before during our hols, just prior to mum and dad going into the experimental bubble to live. The side road led up into some hills. It was a well made road, used by lorries, so quite wide. Every hundred yards or so there were signs informing everyone that this was government property and trespassers would be prosecuted. We went through three sets of gates which were open and not locked and guarded as they had been on previous visits. Then we arrived at the high, main perimeter fence; it had barbed wire on the top, as did the metal gates now in front of us, but once again they were open so we drove through.

We went along a gravel drive, through some trees and then it opened out into a wide area of tarmac and behind that, the concrete buildings of the complex. There wasn’t any sign of life. No bodies on the ground or any indication that the place was occupied.

‘Let’s try The Bubble,’ Jeanie suggested.

The Bubble was where my parents and others working on the project were living as part of the US and UK space programme to see how long people can live in an artificial environment. We hoped that as they would have been isolated from the outside world, they might have escaped the terrible fate that had befallen the outside world.

We followed the road along the side of the complex and on into the woods beyond. About half a mile down the road, we passed through yet another set of open gates and behind the screen of trees was The Bubble.

Only The Bubble was no longer there. It had been ripped apart, leaving the inner area exposed to the elements.

I stopped Bessie and got out with Jeanie. This was something we had to do for ourselves. The others stayed inside but Eve had a gun trained just in case.

We held each other’s hands, just like young children as we walked to the wreck of the project.

Pieces of clear plastic were strewn about, some large, some small. It was as if an earthquake had destroyed it. Furniture had been thrown about, pots and pans, electrical equipment, beds; everything had been overturned–destroyed. No one was in there, we searched high and low.

We left The Bubble and then returned to the bus, telling them that there was nobody around.

‘Maybe they’re in the main complex or something,’ Eve suggested.

‘It’s worth a try, I s’pose,’ I said unenthusiastically. Both Jeanie and I were devastated. We had pinned our hopes on finding them here.

I started up Bessie and drove back down the road and parked next to the complex main building.

We all got out and Julie carried Arthur. There was no danger here that we could see, but both Jeanie and Eve carried guns.

The doors were open and it led into a sort of reception area. There was a large desk where normally a uniformed commissionaire would be on duty. Our feet echoed on the hard tiled floor as we made our way to it. On the desk was a notice.


PLEASE NOTE THAT THIS GOVERNMENT COMPLEX IS CLOSED AND ALL PERSONEL HAVE BEEN EVACUATED.
FOLLOWING THE STATE OF EMERGENCY DECLARED BY THE GOVERNMENT ON THE 23RD NOVEMBER 1958 AND SUBSEQUENT EVENTS, IT WAS DEEMED UNSAFE TO REMAIN HERE.

ALL NON-ESSENTIAL EQUIPMENT HAS BEEN DESTROYED AND FILES REMOVED, AS PER STANDING ORDERS.

IF YOU WISH TO CONTACT US, PLEASE USE THE SHORTWAVE RADIO THAT HAS BEEN LEFT IN ROOM 101 ON THE FIRST FLOOR, LEFT FOR THAT PURPOSE.

MAY GOD GO WITH YOU.

Colonel Hamish Robertson.
Commanding Officer, Dunoon Research.

‘Maybe they are still alive?’ I remarked, hopefully to no one in particular.

‘Yes,’ Jeanie agreed, ‘at least they’re not–here.’

I looked at her. She seemed to be on the point of crying. That set me off and we were all sort of upset for a bit. Then Ben began to bark and that helped us to pull ourselves together. Being the only male there apart from Arthur, he was obviously showing us how silly we females were–

We climbed the stairs to the first floor, with Ben leading the way. The room we needed was the first one on the right. It had a round port hole type of window and the sign above said Radio Room.

Jeanie opened the door and we all trooped in after her.

The radio room contained lots of equipment, all of which had been destroyed save for one unit. I went and sat down on the office chair in front of the radio. A small note on the desk in front of it gave instructions as to how to use it. Seeing as I already knew how–from previous experience at the police station a while back–all I was interested in was heating up the set and finding out if there was anyone at the other end. We didn’t have to change the frequency, as the knob had been taped in place for what I hoped was the correct one.

After a few minutes, the radio came to life and we could hear static from the speaker. In front of me was a microphone with a button in front, on the base of the stand.

I held down the button and took a deep breath. ‘Hello, can you hear me?’

I let the button go and all we could here was static.

I looked up. Everyone was crowding around. Jeanie looked so worried she was biting her fingernails.

I pressed the button again.

‘Hello, is there anybody there? Erm–over––’

I released the button again–nothing.

I tried for several minutes but all we could hear was static from the loudspeaker.

We were all a bit down then and I was just about to get up when the speaker came to life. ‘Hello caller, we are receiving you loud and clear. Where are you? Over.’

I turned back quickly and in my haste to answer, I knocked over the microphone. After setting it right again, with a trembling finger, I pressed the button down.

‘We are at the Government Complex at Dunoon, over.’

‘Glad to hear you,’ said the male voice. ‘How many of you are there?’

‘S—seven of us and a dog.’

I heard some laughter, in the background, both male and female.

‘Well done–are there any adults with you?’

‘No, just children and a baby––’

‘All right…please wait a moment.’

We heard static for a while. None of us dared speak in case we missed the man when he returned.

We heard a click.

‘How did you know about Dunoon?’

‘Our parents worked there.’

‘What is your name?’

‘I’m Alex and my sister is Jeanie; our surname is MacKenzie–’

There was an audible gasp and I’m sure a scream in the background.

A few seconds later, my heart flipped and I nearly cried out as I heard a voice that I thought I would never hear again.

‘Alex, is that you?’

‘D—Dad?’

I heard someone fall down behind me.

‘It’s only Jeanie, she seems to have fainted,’ said Eve dryly.

~ §~

‘Y—yes it’s me Dad.’

‘Oh, Alex, you’re alive and so is Jeanie!’

‘Yes, although she fainted; she’s all right though.’

He laughed.

‘Like mother like daughter, your mum’s fainted too. They aren’t as strong as us boys are they?’

‘Erm, Dad.’

‘Yes, son?’

‘I…I…I’m a g—girl now.’

There was silence for a moment.

‘A girl?’

‘Yes, I was changed by the fog; some of my friends here were too.’

‘Oh Lord, you too? We had reports but didn’t know if they were true. We knew that the fog had strange properties and killed anyone who breathed the stuff in. Why boys were changed into girls we haven’t worked out. We think that it’s something to do with puberty, but our doctors aren’t sure about it. Look we can speak of this when we see you. Can you make your way up here?’

‘Where are you?’

‘Oh sorry, you don’t know. We are up past Fort William. The fog seems to prefer lower ground. We are quite high up in a government facility on the side of Ben Nevis at a place called Achriabhach. You must get to us soon. What transport have you got?’

‘Bessie?’

‘Pardon?’

‘Bessie–she’s a Bedford coach.’

‘Have you got oxygen on board, food and drink?’

‘Yes we have all of that. Jeanie’s our quartermaster … oh she’s just woken up. Do you want to say hello?’

I was pushed unceremoniously out of the chair by Jeanie.

‘Daddy!’

‘Hello, Pumpkin,’ he laughed. ‘I hear you haven’t lost your voice.’

‘I—I thought that you were dead.’ She said in a strangled tone.

‘I know, honey; we thought you were too. Anyway, try to get here soon. The colonel here has just told me that there are some red flares in the store room on the ground floor, near the garages. Get some of those and when you are near, set a few off. You will never find this place, so just set them off from the centre of Fort William. You are about a hundred and twenty miles from here. Don’t leave where you are until tomorrow. If all goes well, you should make it to us in three or four hours. We’ll keep a lookout from noon tomorrow. Can you do that?’

‘Yes, of course, Daddy.’

‘Wait a moment…Your mum has just said that she wants to come and get you, but the colonel says that it just doubles the risk. He seems to think that as you have come so far, you’re resourceful enough to get here by yourselves. Do you think you are?’

‘Yes, of course, Daddy. May I speak to Mummy?’

‘Yes, all right.’

‘Jeanie?’

‘Mummee!’

I smiled at hearing my mum’s voice. I was choking up at this time and wasn’t capable of speech. Jeanie more than made up for it though.
 

To be continued…

 

____________________
1     Driech [pronounced dreech, with the CH as in loCH]: a scots dialect word describing dull, damp, dreary and depressing weather.


Please remember to leave comments...it's nice to know if people like/don't like my stories and remember, no comments means no feedback and no feedback means no stories:-)

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, help with the plot-lines and pulling the story into shape.

up
173 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you Sue

littlerocksilver's picture

It's nice that some of the tension has been relieved, but that is a long trip to Ben Nevis, regardless, and much can go wrong. Let's hope not too much does.

Portia

Portia

Wow.

Now this chapter had me in tears for awhile there. After all the build up and being strong, their parents and other adults have survived.

I'll be looking forward to whatever explanations the grown ups have regarding the green fog.

Good stuff!

Four hours to Fort William?

A lot can go wrong in 4 hours.

Sue, your writing again leaves me breathless. From the hilarity of Penmarris to the sober seriousness of 'The Green Fog', you show us this amazing talent that you have.

14 episodes of 'Green Fog' testify to the way that you hold us spellbound, still not knowing the origin of 'The Fog', yet eagerly tuning in for the next exiting episode.

Susie

After all their adventures

After all their adventures in getting to the complex, now the find that they are still about 123 miles too short. Hopefully they will all re-unite and Alex's Mum and Dad will become parents to the other 5 children as well. Jan

Yay!

Jeannie and Alex's parents are alive - and they know about the fog. Personally, given they knew the fog killed almost everyone it meets, it seems slightly strange they followed procedure by destroying all the equipment when they abandoned the facility. Perhaps in case someone untoward from a foreign power decided to go exploring once the fog eventually dissipated...

So half a day's journey, then presumably the story changes tack. Until now, it's very much been a road trip - from the next episode on, presumably they'll be working with the research scientists in trying to understand just what the heck has happened. Of course, their observations from their 500+ mile trip (Google puts it at 492 from Brighton to Dunoon on modern roads - so their route avoiding towns and non-existent bypasses and motorways is likely to have been several tens of miles more) will no doubt be useful in aiding the research.

If the fog prefers lower ground, it suggests that there might be some communities in the highlands which have escaped the fog - so we might encounter survivors other than the children and research scientists that haven't gone insane! I wonder if we'll find out anything about that plane that was spotted a few times en-route?

 


EAFOAB Episode Summaries

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Thank you for another

Thank you for another splendid atmospheric chapter.

I've been to all the places in your story and my wife comes from Glasgow.
My mum loves Fort William.
I went to Uni at Edinburgh and have climbed most of the major Scottish Hills.
My Sister in Law is from Inverness.

They should have a SSB or CB radio in the bus - it would make a lot of sense.
A police Scanner would be cool too - perhaps they should have borrowed a police van!

The Green Fog~14

Now maybe they will find out that the plane that they've seen come from Achriabhach and discover how far the green fog travels, and perhaps a way to kill it.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Another ferry?

In 1958 there was a ferry at Ballachulish just before Fort William but it's not such a long way round via Kinlochleven as the gang have had to drive to get to Dunoon by road. The drive over Ranoch moor and through Glencoe could be exciting but perhaps it's too high for the Green Fog to reach. I'm enjoying the drama of the story as a whole but the road journey gives an added dimension.

Strangely I drove from The Erskine ferry to Fort William in Summer 1958 but I can't say that I recall any Green Fog - I think you're making it up ;)

Still a great read. Thanks a lot.

Robi

Ah, I think this is the

Ah, I think this is the first time we've had a year given. It seemed for some time as if it could be set in a modern age, but I suppose there have been hints, here and there, that it was some time in the past. Bessie is probably the strongest, but I wasn't sure if that was just a classic style that was still popular in some areas. The ferry was another clue, as Google maps showed a bridge about where I expected it. It does explain one of the nagging questions I had, which is how they were fueling the bus without power. But I imagine that there were still some fuel pumps that could be worked manually, back then. Looking forward to seeing that the adults aren't crazy when they do catch up to them.

Bessie the Bedford OB

Bedford OB coaches like Bessie were first introduced just before WW2 in 1939 (the year I was born) and while production of them stopped during the war—the Bedford factory at Luton (in Bedfordshire, hence the name) was busy making Army trucks, etc. At the end of hostilities in Europe in 1945, production started again and thousands of OBs were built. They were a regular sight on British roads all through the fifties and well into the sixties. Nearly all our school trips and expeditions were by Bedford OB.

For a more detailed history see: http://www.bedfordob.com/history.html

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Hey, what do you mean?

1958 IS the modern age! 2010 is post-modern! Actually it does make me feel old when I see museums displaying TV receivers I repaired when they were the latest thing and motorcycles of a type I rode when they were brand new.

I have one small consolation. I'm a year younger than Gabi LOL

You may have a point about fuel pumps though. I'm fairly sure the vast majority were electrically powered but self-service was a thing of the future. However, few vehicles had locked fuel caps so it would be easy to syphon petrol from abandoned cars. I used to pinch the odd gallon from my dad's car - with his knowledge, I might add. It tastes horrible.

Robi

Yes ...the modern age

Andrea Lena's picture

...I suppose you're only as old or young as you feel, but when a Decorating Show refers to the designs of the decade of my birth as "Mid-Century Mofif," suddenly I did feel a bit old. Still, this story evokes hiding behind my mother's arm chair, all the while peeking out from behind with my eyes only half covered with my hand, watching Children of the Damned or any of the Quatermass stories, only with less dread and a lot more anticipation .

She was born for all the wrong reasons but grew up for all the right ones.
Con grande amore e di affetto, Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Splendid!

Still loving this story! I can see that even though they've reached their destination, and are apparently soon to reach their parents, Allie and Jeanie still haven't solved the mystery of the Green Fog. Which, of course, means more episodes!

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

If I Get My Wish

And I do say "If". I want to come to the UK next Summer and do the Sue Brown, "Green Fog" tour. It depends upon several factors, and until then I just do not know what will happen. I have made it a practice of following the journey on google and only recently discovered that on many roads, if I zoom in close enough, it changes to a ground level 360 degree scene of the area. I must say that what I have seen on the journey up from their school, much of it could easily be the farm country of Oregon, except our buildings out here are up to 150 years or so old and yours are much more.

This has been so very enjoyable, though I am not good for much suspense; too much anxiety for an old hen. :)

Khaduuj

What A Relief!

I was so happy I wept with relief when they spoke with the parents! Now we start to learn more about it all. The background of the parents helps explain the resourcefulness of these children too. Obviously still lots to happen, but they are nearly haem noo.

A reet bonny tale, Susan. Thanks.

Briar

Briar

Fog Resistant?

Like this chapter. Interesting that Allie seems to be developing resistance to the fog. Now that they have contacted the parents, it appears they may have more experience and info on the fog than the military. After all they have numerous encounters and lots of observations of the effects, where as their parents have been holed up in a secret compound. It will be interesting when they compare notes.

Thanks.

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

If I had to go out on a limb

I suspect that the pain Allie was in from her leg has something to do with overcoming the effect of the fog.

Janice

Ouch!

>.<

And I thought my puns can get bad! :)

But it makes sense.

The best theory to fit available facts is that intense physical discomfort or maybe stimulation allows you to keep one physically grounded and aware of their own bodies. I wonder if those who die, they basically lose mental connection with their body and literally just kinda 'leave it'.

A more pleasant form of it is maybe have a vibrator up your vaginal or anus? A less pleasant maybe would be having parts of your body being pricked constantly by pins or something, kinda like a bad clothes pinning ( like when you go to a tailor/seamstress ) gone bad.

Kim

Yay.

Yay! I was starting to wonder if they'd ever find their parents. I can't wait to see the next chapter. Although, knowing their luck, something will probably happen to prevent them going anywhere or getting to the base tomorrow. =(

Took a while!

It is only now starting to move into a place that could possibly get answers, and we'll see how it will turn out. Hopefully there won't be an unhealthy attitude when Alex's in-fog antics are told.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Interesting to see how things change

for Jeanie and Alex when they meet up with their parents. Family dynamics will change a bit since now Alex is also their daughter. So since Jeanie is 'Pumpkin' to her daughter, wouldn't Alex also be kinda a 'Pumpkin' also? Or will Alex be relegated to another member of the gourd family, say 'eggplant'? Nah, better squash that idea.

Family dynamics may change from another direction as it is apparent that there are five orphans now in the group who desperately need parents and we do not know who and how many people are there at that encampment. As far as the encampment goes, if I were to hazard a guess, I betcha it is a nuclear fall out shelter or a nuclear base that is shielded from nuclear biological and chemical (NBC) attack that have isolated air systems and filters.

Anyway, seems a climax is coming up with maybe another adventure with Alex and friends providing valuable intelligence into combating the chlorine gas attack from hell. Sadly, I will miss the travelogue and the eeriness and danger of each of their encounters along the way with what is left of humanity. I just don't like the idea of the adults now 'taking over' and muffling these kid's perspective.

Kim

Its not over yet

The trip is not over yet. Hopefully, they can make it to Fort William without further incident. However, I'm sure you have a few more curve balls for us before the end of the story.

It seems that the government types know more about the fog than is good for our group. Why did they destroy everything and leave the gates open? Why have them stay in Dunoon when they could still make it today? Oh, so many questions yet to be answered.

I'm looking forward to the next chapter and knowing you probably a cliffhanger leading into the conclusion.

As always,

Dru

As always,

Dru

There Was A Nagging Suspicion

joannebarbarella's picture

That the girls' parents and research was somehow involved in the development of The Fog, but it sounds as if they were not, unless they are very good liars.

Now the girls will have to go through Oban. I stayed there years ago on my last trip to Scotland. I was in this weird Victorian hotel, the name of which I can't remember. It was a rambling building four stories tall and I swear there wasn't a level surface in the whole place. If you dropped something it would roll across the floor until it wound up wedged against a wall.

But the spookiest thing was going to the dining room. One look at the staff and I felt like I should be hearing "Duelling Banjos" from "Deliverance". The staff were obviously all related and decidedly odd. I could really see those hillbillies from the movie. Fortunately the Oban clan were friendly.

It did bring home how isolated a lot of places in Scotland really were.

I remember in 1958 these amazing tiny radios came out, with transistors instead of valves.. One of the kids at school had one and he was using it on the bus while we went on a trip. I don't remember if the bus was a Bessie clone or not, but it probably was,

Joanne

Braw

I like this story a lot but I was fair puggled wi' yon daft form o' Scots ye were usin'. Jeannie's dialect is strange and does not fit either her social status or her place of origin - the use of "gang" - meaning to go is incorrect as it is the wrong tense, also "hen" is a Glaswegian and Edinburgh word - mostly Glaswegian and so would not be used by a Highlander like the MacKenzies, the rest was fine and I am sorry to nit pick on such a small detail - it only annoys as you clearly work hard on your authentic details and glitches like this stand out like "a sair thumb"

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!