Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling - Chapters 13, 14 & 15

Printer-friendly version
Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling — Chapters 13, 14 & 15

By Portia Bennett

What a tremendous turn of events, and Campion did it to himself. As Bobbie will say later on, holes in one are accidents. It was a great shot regardless of whether or not it went into the hole. Well, there is one more hole in the Amen Corner to go before we get to the last five holes. There is plenty of room for things to go right as well as wrong. The 13th is a short par 5, but disaster waits in the form of a creek crossing in front of the green. How will Bobbie handle this beautiful little hole now that she has the lead?

There is a startling revelation about The Wizard, and Don and Cindy.


 

If you haven’t read the previous stories about Cindy, Bobbie, and the rest and how they arrived where they are now, you should probably read them. Start with An Incremental Journey, Cynthia and the Reluctant Girlfriend, Cynthia and the Dumpster Diver, Cynthia and the Moment of Truth, and Cynthia and the High School Years — Parts 1 & 2.

I have researched the Spell’s—R-Us Universe diligently and cannot find anything that violates it, other than that The Wizard is a bit kinder and gentler than sometimes reported. Don’t get me wrong. Given an opening, The Wizard could resort to some of his more ironic and nasty transformations. I’m sure that could happen at any time.

Once again, Holly did an outstanding job of fixing my punctuation errors and occasional wanderings into gibberish. My thanks also go to Beachbud, Michell, and Djkauf for their subjective proofing and comments.

This work is copyrighted by the author and any publication or distribution without the written consent of the author is strictly prohibited. This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance of the characters to persons living or dead is coincidental.


 

Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling, Chapters 13, 14 and 15

 

Chapter 13 — Azalea, Par 5, 510 Yards

On the Way to the 13th Tee

“Okay, let’s not get overconfident, but I think we have him. He might get a few strokes back, but you can possibly pick up one here. Let’s just play it safe all the way.

“Are you alright? That was sort of exciting.”

“I couldn’t be better,” Bobbie responded. “I think it will be a while before what happened back there sinks in.

“I expected to feel some magic when he was putting, but haven’t felt a thing.

‘Cindy, have you or anyone else felt anything?’

‘Not a thing: just keep going the way you are. We will take care of everything else.’

“Bobbie, I know you can reach this in two, but there is absolutely no reason right now to even think about it. With that creek down there, too many bad things can happen. This is a lay-up all the way. Let him self-destruct. He’s so shaken right now, I’m surprised he hasn’t wet his pants, and don’t you even think about doing that to him.

“Just think about how beautiful all those azaleas are, and the fact your ball is going to be far, far away from them in the fairway.”

“Speaking of balls, what did you do with the one from twelve?”

“I gave it to Cindy. She says it’s safe for the moment.

“Okay, they’ve hit their second shots. Just knock this down there where you can use your iron to set up the third shot.”

From the Announcers’ Booth

“It looks like Anderson isn’t even thinking about going for this green in two. She’s taken a 3-wood and hit it about 240, 250 yards down the middle.

“Well, there’s no question Campion’s going for it. He’s so mad right now that he might just snap that driver with his swing. Well this one is going right. Ray, what can you see?”

Fairway Announcer

“Al, he has a shot. It’s a lot like that shot Mickelson had fifteen, sixteen years ago when he won going away. The pine straw’s not too deep, and the ball is sitting up. If he can thread it through the tree trunks he should be able to reach it easily.

**************************

Three Years Before — The Players Championship, Sawgrass

Greenside Interview

“Well, Bobbie, the run had to come to an end sometime. What are your feelings?”

“I don’t have anything to be ashamed of. What’d I miss the cut by, two strokes?

“This is one tough course, and it’s meant to be tough. It tests my abilities to the limit. Still, I’ll be back next year, the season willing.

“Do you think it comes down to the two balls in the water at 17?”

“Not really, Archie. There were any number of places out there where I should have picked up a stroke or two. This course is much better suited to my husband’s game, though. He’ll be able to play here soon, and I will carry his bag for him when he does.”

“So, if you both qualify, you’re not going to play?”

“We just don’t see any benefit in competing against each other. He’s going to play on the tour a lot longer than I do. I might play another four or five years at most. He might play another twenty. He’s on the verge of doing well. I matured as a golfer a lot earlier than he did.

“We’ll see you next week. I’m caddying for Andy in San Antonio. I think he’ll do real well there.”

“Thanks for stopping by, Bobbie. I know your fans appreciate hearing from you.”

“Al, before I turn it back to you, I just want to say that when she decides to call it quits, both tours are going to sorely miss her, as will her fans. She has set some very specific goals, and when she reaches them, she has told me that their raising a family will take top priority. She is going to school and has nearly finished her masters in psychology. Her best friend is doing her residency in psychiatry, and they plan on starting a clinic. She did tell me she will never totally leave golf, though.

The Next Week — San Antonio

“Andy, I get to interview you for a change, instead of your bride. I know it’s not for a win, but you gave it a good try.”

“Archie, we had a very good tournament. A win would have been nice, but a tie for second is very gratifying. Bobbie and I have been working on my short game, and it paid off. It’s about time I started contributing to the coffers.”

“So what’s in store over the next few weeks and months?”

“Bobbie’s playing in both the Nelson and Colonial. She’s not doing the Memorial. She’s not comfortable with the course. I’m playing in Memphis. She’s qualified for the US Open, and we’re going to give it a try. However, we both feel that the length will make it very difficult for her to take advantage of her short game. We’ll pretty much be alternating tournaments after that. As you know, the folks at the British Open have refused to recognize her wins and standing in the PGA. We’ll work it out some day.”

**************************

The Present — On the 13th Fairway

“My goodness he hit that a long way.”

“Don’t worry about it, you’ve screwed up his mind so much that he’s snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. We are going to play this just the way we talked about. You know it, and I know it. He is not a good golfer. He is a cheat, and he will probably never win another tournament.

“That said, take this 7-iron, and hit down there on the left. You know the spot. Can you see it?”

“Yeah, right down there.”

She had her target in mind. It was just a matter of staying out of trouble, and the 7-iron couldn’t get her anywhere near trouble. Just advance the ball.

Campion’s shot looked a lot worse than it was. The announcers made a lot of it, but it was over-played on the air. His 6-iron was high and straight, but once again, pulled to the left. He had an eagle put, but it was from the back left of the green.

Bobbie’s knock-down wedge came up about ten feet short of the hole. Campion ran his putt three feet past on the low side. He would get his birdie. Bobbie and Andy took some time to make sure she had the right line. The putt was in the heart.

From the Announcers’ Booth

“Well, we’ve just seen two of several ways to make birdies on the par five, 13th. Muscle it up there and two putt, or play it safe, and have an excellent short game. It doesn’t really matter. They both resulted in fours on the score card. Campion is at nine under par and Anderson is at twelve under, in spite of an earlier double bogey.

On the Course

‘Guys, I really expected them to do something on the green. I didn’t sense anything. Did any of you?

‘Not a thing,’ Randi responded. ‘Don’t worry about it. You’re in control. Be cool.’
”ƒ
Chapter 14 — Chinese Fir, Par 4, 440 Yards

From the Announcers’ Booth

“There’s not a bunker one on this hole, but it’s all about the green that slopes strongly to the right once you get it above the false front. The pin is in the middle right, and if you can get the ball on the right level, it’s not too difficult. Most of the golfers go with the driver, because they want to get the ball as close to the green as possible. If you don’t get it on the upper level, the ball will roll well off the green. This is one nasty hole.

“It was the toughest hole on the course on day two, averaging almost four and one-half strokes. Today, it has been much easier, actually averaging less than four strokes.”

Back on the Course

“Give it a rip, Bobbie. Just keep it away from the right side. If you can keep it in the short grass, you shouldn’t have any major problem. The pin is on the far right, just like it is every year.”

Andy handed the driver to Bobbie, and stepped aside. Sometimes it was difficult to stay objective. He loved her so much. The infatuation that had captured him the first time they played golf together had quickly turned into love. It wasn’t a difficult thing to do. She was intelligent, honest, beautiful, athletic, and a witch. The funny thing was when she told him about her abilities, he had no trouble accepting it. Nor did he have any trouble accepting the fact that Cindy was a witch. The delightful talking cats were just one more thing.

Donna Brewer had been a bit of an enigma when she had moved in with his family. She was a beautiful, but traumatized young woman. She would have been easy to fall in love with but for the fact he was already in love with Bobbie. It had hurt when Donna had disappeared and no one in his family remembered her. But the hurt that happened to Cindy, who was Donna’s lover, had been devastating.

Then Bobbie told him what was going on, and the fact that Cindy couldn’t know until two universes were rejoined. He had trouble understanding the ramifications of magic at first, but over the years it became easier and easier. Now they were dealing with magic on the golf course, probably one of the few places where magic had no right or reason to be present, but it was there, none-the-less.

Andy knew Bobbie should be leading this golf tournament, and she should be leading it right now by at least four or five more strokes than she was leading it by at the moment. The earlier double bogey should never have happened. They had caused her to miss at least two putts that were in the heart. Magic had given Campion at least three strokes. They should have been so far in front right now that her victory was a sure thing. Instead, in spite of a three stroke lead at the moment, victory was anything but a sure thing.

He knew Bobbie would never use magic on the golf course, and he knew her opponent’s use of magic was frustrating her. He just hoped she could keep her cool.

The real shock in their relationship had been when she told him many years before about her origin. That had been the most startling revelation of all. Bobbie had been born a boy, but he knew she was a woman. There was no question she was a woman. They had been on a date when she had to make an emergency stop at the drug store to get tampons when her period started early.

At first, he thought it was a joke, something that Bobbie and Cindy had dreamed up to test him. By then, he knew they were both witches. It hadn’t taken much on their part to convince him of that fact. But the more he learned about them, their friends, The Wizard, and their talking cats, the easier it became to accept the fact that Bobbie had indeed been willingly transformed from a sport loving boy into the beautiful redhead he had fallen so deeply in love with, and had married almost ten years before.

They had a tournament to play, and there were still five holes to go. He had to do everything possible to keep Bobbie focused. The hell with Campion, he just had to keep Bobbie playing the golf he knew she was capable of playing.

He watched her swing and realized that his fears were being realized. Bobbie was getting tired. Any participant in this tournament would be getting tired at this point, and this is where it would be showing up.

Bobbie’s drive was long, but she had come off it a bit, and instead of the nice draw she usually hit, the ball was going down the right side of the fairway. There was trouble along the right side. The balls had a tendency to roll into the rough, making the second shot all the more difficult. Andy knew that his skill as a caddy for his wife was going to be tested.

From the Announcers’ Booth

“Anderson’s drive is out there but it doesn’t have the draw she usually likes to bring into play on this hole. Ray, how does it look from out there?”

From the Fairway

“Al, she’s in the first cut of rough, and her lie’s not very good. She might even have some tree trouble. It will be interesting to see if she can work the magic with her short game that she has up to now.

In the Announcers’ Booth

“Most of the golfers have told me they would love to play it safe on this hole; however, if you don’t get it far enough out there, you are likely to find trouble on the right. The ball will invariably roll to the right and into the rough.

“Anderson is paying the penalty of not having the length to hit it past the trouble.

“Here’s Campion with his drive. Let’s see if he can use his length to his advantage and get a stroke back. Being down three strokes with five holes to play is not insurmountable. He is going to have to call on all his skills to pull it off.

“He’s hit it a mile. I think he was venting a lot of pent up anger on that one. He’s made it very clear that he doesn’t think Anderson should be playing here, and to be three strokes down to her has to be eating on him.

From the Fairway

“Al, Campion’s drive is way past all the trouble, leaving him with nothing more than a little wedge to the upper level and the right hand pin placement.

“I’ve had a good look at Anderson’s ball, and she probably doesn’t have a shot at the pin. I think she will be lucky to get it to the green, and if she does, getting the ball to the upper tier is going to be problematic.”

The camera zoomed in on Bobbie and Andy as they discussed the next shot.

“Just hit it as far as you can. You might be able to get it on the green. We’ll worry about the next shot when we get there.”

“What do you think, a six or seven?”

“I’m thinking the seven. You are going to have to dig it out. The six may not get it up quickly enough.”

“Yeah, I think you’re right. Give me the seven.”

“As you just heard,” the fairway announcer continued, “Anderson’s going with the seven. I don’t think she can reach the upper green level and I think their main concern is getting it close enough to the pin to give them a shot at par.

“She’s giving it a whack, and she got a lot of it, but I don’t think it will stay if it even gets there.

From the Announcers’ Booth

“She’s very strong, and how she hit it as far as she did is beyond me. It rolled up on that false front green but, as you can see, it’s headed back down the hill to give her a nasty chip at the pin.

“Campion’s hitting a sand wedge, and look for this to be close. Nope, as he has done all day, he’s pulled it left, giving him about twenty-five feet of a tricky putt.

“Anderson’s been surveying this chip for a while. The main thing is to get it up the hill. Right now, I think she’ll be very happy with a bogey, and take whatever Campion throws at her.

“She has her ‘L’-wedge out, and from her practice swings, I’d say she’s going to try to hit a flop shot. She’s trying to take the whole front of the green out of play.

“She’s hit it perfectly. She’s going to be left of the hole, but she used the slope over there to slow the ball and keep it on the green. She didn’t have a lot of room around the pin, and that was probably the best shot.

“They tell me Campion has twenty-five feet, seven inches to the hole. He’s giving it a go, and just misses it below the hole. He walks up and taps it in. If looks could kill, Anderson’s probably would. It looks like he deliberately stepped in her line, a rather obvious breach of golf etiquette.

“Anderson’s lining up her putt. This has a chance, but stops just below the hole. That’s a bogey for Anderson, who at eleven under leads Campion by two strokes.

**************************

“Did they do anything to that putt?”

“No, at least I didn’t sense anything. I just didn’t hit it, never up, never in.

“What’s the deal with Campion and his Caddy? They’re going at it again.”

“I’m not sure. I’ve been staying as far away from them as possible. I don’t want them reading my mind.”

“You’re still protected. They’ll not get a thing from either of us. Give me another power bar and some water. This heat’s getting to be a bit much.”

“Are you okay?”

“I’m fine. Four holes to go, then we can rest for a long time. At least, I can.”
”ƒ
Chapter 15 — Firethorn, Par 5, 530 Yards

From the Announcers’ Booth

“Historically, this is the easiest hole on the golf course, and today’s no exception. The stroke average up to now has been 4.25. So realistically, we can say the hole has been playing as a tough par 4.

“If Campion can keep his drive in the fairway, I don’t think there will be any question that he will go for it in two. He’s hit seven irons to the green each of the first three rounds and has an eagle, birdie, and par to show for it: his par coming when he hit it over the green yesterday.

“Quite the opposite, Anderson’s laid back and hit wedges to the green each day. So far, she’s two pars and a birdie for her effort. I certainly don’t see any reason for her to try to go for it.

“There have been quite a few changes to this hole since ‘The Squire’ knocked it into the hole for a double eagle, two back in 1935. The hole played only 485 yards then. They enlarged the pond and moved the tee to the left and back, but in spite of all the changes, it continues to be the easiest hole on the course.

“Campion’s going with the driver, and has just crushed it. Does he do it any other way? He might be hitting no more than an eight or nine iron to the green.

“Anderson’s going with a utility club, probably an equivalent to a 5-wood. She’s hit it as straight as an arrow, probably about 220 yards down the middle. She’ll lay it up, probably giving her a wedge to the green. She’ll hit twice before Campion even gets to his ball.”

**************************

Several Years Earlier

“Your Wisdom, thank you for coming to the lab. I wanted to talk to you about what we found out about your DNA, and see what you wanted to have happen with the information. It’s your DNA, and per our agreement with all magical people, we will not release any information if you don’t want us to.

“As you know, your people have been pretty lucky with the gene duplication efforts you’ve tried in the past. Bobbie and Charli are the best examples. Now that we’ve narrowed the location of the magic gene down even further, if there is an opportunity to do magic gene replacement, it will be a lot easier for your people to do it.”

“Myrna, I, no, all of us are eager to see what you’ve found out. This whole project of yours is going to be so important for the magic world. So tell me what you’ve found out. I could read your mind, but I probably wouldn’t understand all this scientific gobbledygook, so it might be better if you just explained it to me in lay terms.”

“I have a couple of questions for you,” Myrna responded. “If they get too personal, just tell me, and I’ll stop.”

“Alright.”

“According to everything you know, you are the last wizard in this universe.”

“That is correct.”

“You’ve never married or had a family, have you?”

“No, never, five hundred or so years ago, I was pretty close to some women, but nothing ever came of it, and as the years went by it didn’t seem to be important.”

“Did you know any other wizards? Were they unmarried like you?”

“There was my mentor, Adolphus Muench. I lived with him and his family for about a hundred years.”

“So he had children?”

“Oh yes, forty or fifty or so, over a period of five or six hundred years. He was rather proud of that; however, he was disappointed that none of them had the wizard ability. I think he kept hoping that one would. I think he was about fifteen hundred years old when he decided to leave his body and move on.”

“Well that clarifies that issue and supports what we found.

“We’ve put this in some pictures for you, and it might make some of this easier to understand. This first picture shows your ‘Y’ chromosome. It looks just like most ‘Y’ chromosomes, except for this little gene sequence down here. We hadn’t seen anything quite like it, and it got us wondering. We didn’t have that many samples of ‘Y’ chromosome to look at from the known carriers, only about 150; however our computer search didn’t show any sequence like this in any of them. We then ran the search through several thousand samples we had from non-magical donors. Nothing like that ever showed up in any of them.

“I thought there might be a chance that this might be part of the gene requirement for wizardry, but I needed more evidence. How was I going to determine if this was indeed the wizard gene? I was pretty sure that at least part of the wizard genetic makeup had to be sex linked. This is where things really got interesting.”

“Did you know you have Klinefelter’s Syndrome?”

“I’ve suspected it for some time, but never had any testing done. When I first heard about it, I felt it would explain many things: the way I look, the way I feel about certain things, the fact that I never fathered a child.

“So you confirmed that. I’m not really surprised. What else did you find?”

“On this ‘X’ chromosome, I found the same gene sequence that we couldn’t find on any of the other ‘X’ chromosomes, except for one family, and lo and behold, I found three. Care to venture a guess?”

“I don’t need to guess. It’s the Lewis’s. We’ve known that all along. That would be Marissa and Cindy. Who’s the other one?”

“Stan Junior, Marissa didn’t pass it on to the others, just the witch gene.

“That really got me thinking though, and it suddenly became very clear. The powers had made a huge effort, probably bigger than anything we can comprehend, to correct what you had told us was a mistake in that Donna should never have been born into this universe. Your people split this reality so that a correction could be made and Don would appear in the split reality. You went to what, 74 parallel earths to find the correct embryo and bring it into the parallel earth?”

“Yes, it was something like that. Actually, I think it was more like 90.”

“You did that so that Cindy and Don would meet. That was a hell of a job you did working all that out. Every once in a while, I miss Donna, but then I realize she’s right there with us in Don. I know you told us that Donna lives in other universes, and I guess that makes our losing her a bit easier.

“Anyway, I suddenly realized what you and those others behind the scenes were up to. It was all Don and Cindy. It was easy. I ran the sequence on Don, and there it was, the wizard gene, right where it belonged on the ‘X’ and ‘Y’ chromosomes. But, Don was not a wizard as far as we knew. There had to be something else. It was really too easy. I went back to your charts, and there it was. You’re carrying the witch gene, too.

“I haven’t found anything else, so far. Right now, it looks like it takes a pair of wizard genes, or alleles as we call them, plus the witch gene to create a wizard. No wonder you guys are so scarce.

“That brings up two more questions. First, how did you know about Don?”

“We knew there had been another wizard when I was being trained. He was very secretive and disappeared into the New World when the Spanish were making their early incursions into Central America. We were getting desperate because I couldn’t father children, and we had lost track of the other wizard lines. We developed a means of detecting the auras of the wizard genes, and started to search. We kept coming up with dead ends until we started going into the mountains of northern Mexico. We found a young woman who was pregnant, and she and the unborn child had the right genes. This was when the mistake happened. Our searchers got confused about which universe had the correct embryo.

“Cindy’s line is in this universe only. We can’t be watching everything and everywhere, and when she nearly drowned and her spirit had left her body, everything was nearly lost right then. Then Al Gontarski showed up. He had no idea what was in store for him, and he needed so much training, but he was ready when we moved him into Cindy’s body. That worked beyond all our expectations.” The Wizard started to choke up.

“I have lived a long, long time, but you, Cindy, Bobbie and the rest have brought me more joy and happiness than I have had in the previous five hundred years. I think you have brought me back to reality. I was becoming a bitter old man who deep down inside always wished he could have been a woman. I never understood that until the last few hundred years. I think I took out a lot of my frustration out on some of the visitors my shop has had over the years. Some of the transformations were pretty bizarre, you will have to admit. I might have overdone you and some others a bit.”

“Your Wisdom, I couldn’t be happier about what you did for me, and indirectly for my mother and sister. My sister still is amazed about her sudden bust development those many years ago, as is my mother. I’m glad you didn’t change reality so much that they weren’t aware they had changed. They’ve just put it up to some unexplained miracle.

“I’ve read a number of your unauthorized biographical tales that you were kind enough to confirm, and I know what Cindy and Bobbie have told me over the years. I think you have done some wonderful things, and there have been some very positive outcomes. Maybe what you did to Cindy’s kidnapper was harsh, but he would have been executed in at least four of the states where he committed those horrible crimes. Yes, he got exactly what he deserved.

“I think you may have told me more than you intended, but anything you have told me is confidential. Now I need to know one more thing. Your second ‘X’ chromosome is not carrying the wizard gene. I wonder what would have happened if it did?”

“I think that may be where sorcerers come from. Sorcerers never father children by the way,” The Wizard said after contemplating things a few seconds. “It would be interesting to find out. I wonder if the witch gene is needed for the sorcerer ability to show up. I’ll see if I can find some DNA for you to look at. We should have something in the archives. Come to think of it. I may have something from my mentor. I’ll take a look.”

“I don’t think I’m stepping out on a limb when I ask you this, and I think you have already confirmed it. Cindy and Don’s sons have a fifty percent chance of being be wizards don’t they?”

“Yes, we’re pretty sure that’s what’s going to happen.”

**************************

The Present — On the Course

“Just hit it down there past his ball. All we want out of this is a par. If he eagles it, we’re still tied, but the way he’s been playing, I wouldn’t bet on him at all. Just hit this 7-iron nice and easy.

In the Announcers’ Booth

“Anderson’s hit a seven iron down the slope, giving her a bit of a tricky downhill lie. She’s hit from about the same spot all three days.

“After a 350 yard drive, Campion has 180 yards to the green.

“Ray, what’s he hitting?”

“He’s hitting a 7-iron,” Ray whispered. “It should be plenty of club for him.

“Well, he’s pulled it again, and I can’t see from here where it’s ended up.

“Al, what do the cameras have?”

“It hit once on the green and has bounced down almost to the sixteenth tee. He’ll have plenty of green to hit to, but he’s got to go between some pine trees. This is going to take some work on his part.

“I have a feeling some of the pressure was taken off Anderson’s shoulders with that shot. If he had hit it close to the hole, he might have been able to tie the match with one putt. Now he’s going to be struggling to get it down in regulation.

“Ray, have you reached his ball yet?”

“Yeah, I have, and he’s not going to have any fun with this shot at all. There are all sorts of tree trunks between the ball and the pin. He’s going to have to chip it up on the green well away from the hole. If it he hits it too hard, he could put it into the lake. He’ll be lucky to save par.”

“Anderson has a wedge. She has a good line at the flag, and the way she’s been playing her short game today, and all week for that matter, I wouldn’t be surprised, if she gets it close.

“This is the type of shot that the high handicapper would hit into the lake. The tendency is to try to scoop the ball, and they will hit it fat almost every time; not Bobbie Anderson. She’s hit it perfectly. It’s just to the left of the flag. Oh, look at this. It took a couple of bounces and the spin is bringing it back past the hole. It has stopped below the hole, giving her about a 10 foot uphill put for a birdie. She is just amazing with her short game.

“Ray, what’s Campion doing?”

“He’s going to try to chip it up on the green with a 7-iron. He can’t carry it to the green on the fly. It could roll right into the lake. He’ll try to hit it into the fringe and hope that takes some of the speed off the ball.

“He’s hit an excellent shot, but he’s a good sixty feet from the hole. Right now he’s just hoping for a two putt. He’s still away, and is taking his time checking it out.

“He’s struck it firmly, and it’s going to stop about three feet above the hole. He’s going to have a little tester coming down the slope.

“Anderson’s putt measures at eight feet six inches. She and her husband have had a lot of time to study this one. She strokes it, and (the groans told it all) has left it about six inches short. It was right on line.

“Campion is hovering over his putt. He’s going to have to just barely tap it … and it just barely wobbles into the hole. And, they’re right where they were when they started play on this hole. Anderson is at eleven under par and Campion stays at nine under. Boy did he miss an opportunity on this hole. The easiest hole on the course, playing almost a stroke under par, and he comes away with a par, and a lucky par at that.

**************************

‘Cindy, I didn’t feel anything. Did you?’

‘Not a thing. Drink some water, and have another bite of that energy bar. We’re going down to get a view of the next green.

**************************

The beautiful sixteenth hole is next. There have been quite a few holes in one here. Could Bobbie possibly do it again? Then there is seventeen with the notorious ‘Eisenhower Tree’. Finally, there is the eighteenth, not the hardest finishing hole, but certainly not the easiest. Any of these holes could bring about a two stroke swing in either player’s favor.

up
103 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Such a warm Story

Oh I was weeping today but it was from the beauty of your words thank you.

2 out of 5 boxes of tissue and 5 gold stars

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

Tissue Alert

littlerocksilver's picture

Desiree,

I think there are a couple of places in the next posting where you might have to do a little dabbing. I am so happy you are enjoying this story. I will be posting the follow-on story to this one in a few days. There are definitely a couple of places for happy tears. The story starts in the late summer after Bobbies victory. There are many more revelations. Remember Ginny? She was the department store Santa in Cynthia and the High School Years.

Portia

Portia

Bobbie and the Glass Ceiling - Chapters 13, 14 & 15

Could His Wisdom have a twin? And could his twin be a sorceress?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Twins and Sorceresses

littlerocksilver's picture

Stan,

The only twins are in other universes, and they are not allowed to interact - at least not in my stories. I have addresed wizard and witch genetics in this story, and I think Myrna will figure out the sorceress genetics eventually. There are many possibilities; however, what might the possibilities be if a witch has children by a wizard?

Portia

Portia

What a surprise!

As a non-golfer, I really did not expect to enjoy this story as much as I am. If someone would have called this a nail-biter, I would have laughed! Okay, so I'm the one with the egg on my face. What a great story! I cannot wait for the next one. Thank you for submitting them so quickly!
I hope that somehow, Mr. Campion puts his foot in his oversize mouth in the next episode! You are wonderful at creating characters that I care about (or hate!). I bow at your feet!

So not worthy
Wren

Golf for the Non-Golfer

littlerocksilver's picture

Wren,

Thank you for your comment. This has been a very interesting and fun project. Bobbie's fate was sealed back in Cynthia and the Reluctant Girlfriend. I had pretty much known some of the events at that time. The problem was: how do I put together a story about a very athletic but very feminine woman who just happened to have been born a boy? I wanted the story to be faithful to the premises I had established at the beginning of the series. So, what was I going to do? I got the inspiration one night a couple of months ago.

The next story in the series was already completed, but I needed a story to support several 'big' ideas that are presented in the next story. I had to write about how they got to where they had arrived. That was when I decided to write the story around the last round of the Masters. Each chapter would be built around one of the eighteen holes of the famous Augusta National Golf Club. It would describe each hole in detail and the hazards the golfer faced.

There was a lot of fodder to work with. The club is infamous for some of its principles/tenets. Most of what I wrote about the place is a matter of record. The descriptions and names of each hole in the story match the real golf course. The lengths of the drives and second and third shots are actually taken from what past winners did in recent tournaments. The shapes of the greens, pin positions and pitfalls are what they usually are on the last day of play. Events attributed to real golfers actually happened. Many of the bad shots are shots I have witnessed (on television) during various Masters tournaments.

I was never a very good golfer, but I do enjoy the game. I knew that a story built around a golf tournament might not be the most well received story on this site, but I had to write it. I knew if I could bring in other events that happened in this universe that it might help maintain interest. These were things that I had hinted at in previous stories about Cindy and Bobbie. Each chapter/hole would describe Bobbie's ordeal to victory or defeat.

The next story, which I will start posting in a few days is more in line with the previous stories in this series. There is a teaser at the end of this story. Chapters 16, 17, 18 & 19 are next. They will end this particular adventure.

Portia

Portia