The Early Years of Academy Life - Chapter 2 - Vacation Time

Printer-friendly version
Synopsis:

The Vixens are on Vacation.

Story:

On Savraday morning around 09:00 all of the Vixens excluding Nibs and Sandra as they would be travelling up on Sumdar after they had completed the Espionage mission to Trivvoth’s, stood outside the front of the Club, bikes and riders loaded and ready to depart, Tina said, “CW6 then CW5 then IC5, then off at Forest Scope.”
“We should be there in three, three and a half hours max,” said Paul, “Lets roll.”
The entire group started to move down the main road and passed Gangrel Apartments. Gary was sat outside looking at a couple of reports and heard the group approach the main gate and looked over at then and waved them bye. Everyone waved back and the gate opened and let the vehicles out they turned right and then at the secondary road that ran along the north side and then right again at the far end of the road and then after travelling down the east side they passed under the CW and turned right and accelerated up the CW on ramp, and as soon as they had joined the CW indicated left and moved across one lane and accelerated to about 100mph and were soon cruising down the CW.
Flashing past the group was bill boards designed to sell the drivers on the CW items and gadgets they didn’t really need, but wanted because the guy across the street has one. A lot of the tower blocks they passed as they travelled through Valley Rise District were in the low hundreds of floors, most had at least 90 some more than 150 floors, but these were rare as it did require a specific type of bedrock to construct on using the techniques available to the constructors. As the group approached the junction of CW6 and CW5 they saw a new office block being constructed to the north of CW6 the five tower Cranes where being used to construct some surface facilities, the main tower itself had three cranes sprouting from the very top of the main tower. Jum took a quick look at the tower as they cornered on the CW interchange ramp and estimated that it probably had close to 70 floors already. The billboard hung from one of the cranes said, Tower Block is being constructed for Music Principles and Sound by TXG. Another project made to the upmost safety standards.
Jum said to Wong who was driving, “If it wasn’t TXG I would say bullshit to the caption line.”
“Yeah I know, so would I,” said Wong and she accelerated down the on ramp of CW5 and like the rest of the guys was soon pushing 100 to 110mph after ten minutes they were approaching the IC5 Junction and pulled over one lane and fed down the long high speed curve accelerating to 150mph and the group were soon pulling across from the onramp and the pulled across on the middle lane and kept at 150 and were soon approaching the IC3 interchange and they swept past the interchange.
Paul said, “I will need fuel before we hit forest scope, so I say we stop at the IC5 Services just before we leave the City.”
“Yeah, no problem, I must admit the engine on the FAV is efficient I think we must have done over 2000miles on a full tank,” said Jum.
“That is good, how big is the tank,”
“No idea, I think it’s about 100 gallons,” Wong said, “looking at the fuel gauge I would say we also need a fill up.”
“Ok, so everyone is stopping then at the services,” Abs said as the group indicated and pulled over a lane and accelerated past a two train road train. The driver pulled the horn on the tractor and from inside the cab did the biker salute of the fist into the air. Abs also noticed a young female sat in the cab of the tractor, and she to did the salute and was smiling as the group accelerated away.
After only ten more minutes of driving the group approached the IC1 interchange and the IC5 City Services. Tina as she was leading at the time indicated left and pulled over one lane and then took the high speed service road which took then round and brought then to the main services. The bikes drove to the fuel station and Paul and Wong pulled up beside one pump and on the opposite side pulled Paul, both Wong and Jum climbed out and Jum headed into the kiosk to pay for all the fuel. Paul finished first as Wong had only put in 30 gallons when Abs pulled up and started to fill, a car pulled away Ren guided his and Hell Bright’s FAV to the now free pump and started to fill the almost empty tank.
Wong finished as Angel who was after Abs had pulled up and was about to start. Wong look at the display and saw it read 84 Gallons, she mouthed, “Fuck me,” and climbed into the FAV and pulled it forward and Wong said, “I hope someone has the key to get in?”
“Yeah I do Wong,” replied Tina as she drove up to the pump Wong had used. Very soon afterwards everyone had finished filling and Jum had paid the 780deck fuel bill and walked out and climbed into the driver’s seat and waited for every bike rider to don a helmet and make sure that it was secure.
When that was done everyone started their vehicles and they accelerated out of the fuel station and they then slowed for the toll booth.
Ren pulled his FAV to the window and said, “Six bikes, two sub compacts.”
The guy in the booth said, “No way, it is a sub compact.”
“Hell Bright,” Ren said, and Hell Bright showed him the Vehicle licence document which said Sub Compact.
“Ok, then six bikes 2 Subs, 10 Decks thanks,” the guy said and took the ten Deck note and opened the barrier and let the bikes and the two FAVs through.
Soon the group were accelerating to 150mph again and the group sped through the outskirts of the Metro, all the middle and high income housing estates stretched on the both sides for a good few miles, soon the group had sped out of the suburbs and was crossing the farm land that ringed the city and stretched south down the western sea board.
Claire said over the comm. system, “Did anyone hear the news a couple of days ago?”
“What was it about Claire,” replied Tina.
“The drought the city been suffering from, the reporter said if we don’t get rain the second crops this year will fail due to the lack of water, and with the rest of the world slowly going to hell in a hand basket, I think we’re fucked,” said Claire.
“I did hear that story,” said Jum, “Who here is up for some language lessons, specifically Jarrzarian?”
“Me,” replied Hell Bright.
“And me,” said Claire, “It would be fun to learn.”
After about thirty fifteen minutes of driving the group drove over IC10 and was then into Surra proper rather than under the Suraban City Government.
“This would have been the furthest I would have been from Suraban since we met Jaboc,” said Ren to Hell Bright.
“I know Ren,” responded Hell Bright as Ren indicated and pulled over one lane and like the rest of the group passed a five trailer Road Train.
The driver pulled the horn which the group replied to and accelerated, After forty minutes the group arrived at the exit for Forest scope and then the forest retreat. Jum as his and Wong’s FAV was currently in the lead indicated right and pulled over two lanes sat in the gunner’s seat was their two fairy companions Zarribrr and Meellium both of them enjoying the speed the pair were pulling as they drove down the IC. As soon as the group had left the IC, Abs slowed as did the rest of the bikes and they all took off their helmets and clipped them to the bikes and then continued on happy that within forty minutes they would be chilling at the Forest Retreat for the next week, then the Graduation Ball, and on Savraday the Gathering arranged to say good bye to the old Vixens and hello to the New Bitch Vixens, which the thought of made Abs and Tina smile.
As the group approached Forest Scope, Tina said, “Who remembers what the food situation was like at the retreat?”
“Pretty crap, I think we brought most of it back with us when we came back before the festival,” replied Paul.
“I think then we had better get some,” Tina said as she indicated left to cross and enter the local shopping centre. Tina parked up and waited for everyone else to turn around and also park up, the car-park was about half full. Most of the vehicles looked rather laden with supplies for camping trips and the similar.
“Lets go then,” said Abs when everyone had arrived.
“Be thankful we are doing it now rather than arrive and have to come back,” said Tina.
“True,” responded Abs.

* * * * * *

A couple of hours later the group were pulling up in front of the retreat. As the group approached Claire, Jum, Wong, Hell Bright and Ren saw the view from slightly down from the house itself.
Claire said, “Oh god, that is incredible. Its beautiful.”
“Wait until you get to the retreat,” said Paul.
“And we’ll show all of you a view point of beauty,” said Tina.
Then the Retreat came into view the wood panelling of the outside and the slate roof with a couple of sky lights in.
Tina said as they pulled up, “I don’t remember the Sky Lights being present when we were here last time.”
“No nor do I,” responded Paul.
“That’s because they weren’t there,” said Nicolai as he walked around the corner, “Jane arranged for the Academy to restock the Battle store with the latest technology and we constructed three rooms in the attic on the sleeping side and also a way to them from the Veranda and also constructed a small Veranda above the two bed rooms that over look the back. We replaced the security card reader with a standard Academy one which will accept all your pass cards, we’ve left the inside as is, except we have installed a Wireless Satellite link, and I shall see you all next weekend.” Nicolai then turned around and disappeared and then the group heard the sound of Nicolai bike and then saw him drive passed and disappear down the track way.
“Right then. CHILL TIME,” said Tina and she started to walk up the stairs to the open front door. When Tina entered the Retreat she saw the layout hadn’t changed but the dust sheets were off and a fire was going under a slowly turning whole elk. After Tina had dropped her stuff off in her’s and Abs’ room at the front of the retreat, she returned and saw a note which read.

To:- The Vixens
From:- Richard, Nicolai, and Jane.
We’ve stocked the larder with basic provisions, and knowing you, you would have brought food yourselves. As Nicolai said, when you arrived, the conspiracy has restocked the Battle store and also slightly modified the house itself.
The Elk over the Fire Pit was caught by a couple of the third year students from the Academy who spent a week here restocking and modifying the house.

Richard C

Tina read the note and said, “They always amaze me.”
“Who do hun,” said Abs as she walked out of the bedroom area.
“Richard, Nicolai and Jane specifically, the conspiracy as well,” Tina replied.
“How come?” Abs asked.
“Read the note,” replied Tina, “Coffee.” Tina then headed for the percolator and was pouring out her cup when Claire walked out of the bedroom area and looked out of the back, floor to ceiling window, and she just stared at the incredible sight of the Low back Mountains, some of the higher peaks still snow capped, but the forest stretching away as it covered the Low Back foot hills and the forest extended about half way up the mountains.
Claire then said, “I had seen pictures and paintings of the Low Back, but nothing prepared me for that view.”
“It is beautiful ain’t it,” said Paul.
Jum and Wong both walked down the stairs from the bedrooms and they both walked towards the double doors and opened them and Wong stepped out and took a deep breath of the fresh clean Cellum aromaed air. Wong then turned to everyone and said, “I know Nibs already knows this, both of us thank you all for being friends and taking the time to get to know Nibs and Nick,” the Jum said, “and for all of you spending the time to get to know us.”
“Jum by the fact you were a friend of Nick and Nibs meant that you were already a friend of ours, as is Tammeria and Cubbadar,” said Tina as she walked down the stairs from the Kitchen carrying a tray on which was a bowl of sugar, the coffee percolator jug and ten cups. “Let us adjourn to the veranda to have our first drink of vacation time,” said Tina and walked out and set the tray on the table and sat in one of the chairs on the veranda.
The Veranda itself now had an extension along the Cliff and beside the living room above the workshop and lab. The Cliff itself ran very close to the corner of the kitchen area but the veranda was also on supports that were fixed to the cliff side. Around the veranda was a wooden railing and the supports were also curved from locally sourced wood.
The rest of the day was spent chilling.

* * * * * *

On Sumdar morning at 09:00 Nibs, Sandra, along with Daraus and the two fairies Blackie and Pixie sat on their bikes and Nibs and then Sandra rammed the kick starts down Nibs engine kicked and started. Nibs had a subtle smile on her face as she did,
Blackie looked at Nibs and thought asked, “What’s got you so happy?”
“Wait and see,” thought replied Nibs.
Both the bikes pulled out of the Garage, and headed for the back entrance with Daraus riding in the carrier and Blackie sat on the speedometer and the RPM counter. Soon both the bikes were accelerating up the onramp of CW6, as they did Daraus morphed into his other form and just stood in the carrier looking over Nibs shoulder, and were soon cruising at 140mph. After about 10minutes they took the CW interchange ramp and transferred to CW5 and again as IC5 approached. And after spending 15 minutes on the IC5, both Nibs and Sandra pulled over to the side of the IC and put their helmets on and made sure they were secured and then pulled out and a short time later were approaching the Toll booths that marked the edge of Suraban IC patrol control. Nibs paid the two Decks and both her and Sandra accelerated away. Once the Toll booths were out of sight Daraus morphed back to his human form.
Nibs thought asked to Daraus and Blackie, “Helmets you two, where are they?”
“On my head,” thought replied Daraus and when Nibs looked Daraus was wearing a tin hat style Helmet, and when Nibs looked back, so was Blackie and Pixie.
Soon Sandra was along side Nibs pulling the same speed of about 190mph, Nibs then suddenly opened up to close to her 950s maximum speed, Sandra smiled evilly and pulled along side and then opened her 1000 up and pulled away.
Nibs then thought said to Blackie, “You know I said wait and see why I was happy, here’s the reason and Nibs opened hers right up and dropped into seventh gear and was soon easily matching Sandra’s 226, 227 mph Nibs flew past her still accelerating, Sandra looked at the disappearing form of Nibs as they both whipped under a bridge with a couple of IC traffic police officers.

* * * * * *

“Shall we go get them?” asked one of the two officers.
“No, look at the speed the lead one was pulling, 250mph,” said the other one and showed the radar gun to his partner, “he’s already long passed the next bridge and probably approaching the IC10 junction.

* * * * * *

As Nibs and Sandra flew over the IC10, Sandra thought asked Nibs, “What the hell you done to your bike hun?”
“Only had the mechanics install a new 1100cc engine and modified the gears for a high torque low end and a high cruising speed the other end,” Nibs thought replied.
“An 1100!” thought exclaimed Sandra..
“Yeah, what’s my moto hun?” Nibs thought said in reply.
“Fun loving but evil,” Sandra thought replied.
“Bingo,” thought responded Nibs, “You know what my first job is when I get to the retreat hun, find a couple of good thirty to forty centimetre diameter logs and start to made mine and your drums. I’m more than likely to be finishing it at the Academy.”
“I do my own thanks,” Sandra thought said as Nibs slowed to 200mph and Sandra pulled along side and the pair then cruised the last 100 odd miles to Forest Scope’s junction or the gateway to the mountains.
As the pair cruised down the IC, Nibs suddenly saw the retreat as if she was looking through the eyes of one of the people there. Nibs shook her head and concentrated on driving, she also thought, ‘What the fuck.’
Forty minutes after leaving the IC they pair were slowing as they approached the retreat. The time was only 11:40. Wong and Jum who had just walked back in from the view point path saw Nibs and Sandra pull up and Wong wave hello, Sandra waved back and Daraus who had morphed back to wolf form jumped out and padded up the stairs of the retreat and through the open front door. Nibs and Sandra could hear music from inside. Nibs recognized the track as one from his collection at Home Base.
As Nibs entered the front door she asked, “How come, I thought the retreat didn’t have net access?”
“It does now,” replied Ren, “and hello you two. How was the espionage mission?”
Nibs went to say something and thought about it and then said, “Bloody good actually, we now have two more names for the group with Metzza and Abilgail of Narizzan mission.”
“Yeah, how come,” asked Claire.
“Because he is a street fighter and was also at the party, the guy’s name is Rakcam and is a metamorphosed Fire Dragon,” Nibs said, “and I think he was still hurting from the damage the Twins gave him. How come the music?”
“The Academy have made some modifications to the Retreat like installing a satellite wireless link, place three bedrooms in the attic of the bedroom wing, increased the area of the veranda and completely restocked the battle store,” said Hell Bright.
“So, who’s sleeping where now then?” Sandra asked.
“Me and Paul have one of the attic rooms, leaving two free,” replied Claire.
“Right,” responded Sandra, “we’re having the second room then, can I take it the steps outside leads to the attic rooms?”
“Yes and one in the bedroom wing near the internal door,” said Abs, “good cause we guessed you would want one of them and me and Tina nicked your old room,” and Abs smiled at Sandra as she disappeared out and up the stairs to the attic rooms.
Nibs wasn’t too far behind and as soon as they had dumped their stuff on the beds they returned and said, “That was the good bits of the mission, the bad bit, we weren’t able to install any of the bugs.”
“Damn, how come,” asked Jum as he and Wong walked up from the where they had be sitting.
“To much security, the president of FTT Music a Mr Funnitsu was there and was also emitting the same type of evil as Timothy’s group. His personal bodyguard is made from a mage and a psionist ,” Nibs said.
“Ok, right that’s another one to add to the list of people to be dealt with,” said Wong.
“Yeah,” said Nibs.
Ren then walked out carrying a large tray with drinks on. Ren placed a chai latte in front of both Nibs and Sandra and they distributed the other drinks to everyone else. Ren said when Nibs and Sandra had taken a sip and Nibs looked happy with the taste, “I nicked some from the Kitchen a couple of days ago one of the chefs makes a mean chai tea sometimes. He started to keep a supply on tap in the kitchen, all you have to do is to ask at the door for a chai latte and they will give you one there and then, they keep a boiler full of milk and chai right beside the door into the kitchen.”
“I think I’ll have this and then go and look for the logs for mine and Sandra’s drums,” Nibs said.
“What you have a drum Nibs,” Damieel said.
“No Damieel I don’t, I have a drum I can play, but to truly create music, the drum and owner must be one, we have the skin already from our first trip, now I need to made the actual drum itself,” Nibs said.
“Well if we are talking about things we intend to do over the week, I’m planning on getting some practice at drawing some of these scenes up here,” said Abs.
“You finished that picture you were drawing a couple of months ago,” asked Sandra.
“No I haven’t yet, yeah I must finish that,” replied Abs.

* * * * * *

When Nibs and Sandra had finished their cups of Chai, Nibs smiled and nodded bye and both of them disappeared up into the attic. Claire followed Nibs and Sandra, and walked into hers and Paul’s room and dug out her Bikini and put it on and then grabbed her towel and then headed back to the upper Veranda with her sun cream. Her plan was simple enjoy the week sunbathing and just chilling she had found a couple of good net sites with Novels published by the authors them selves.
Nibs and Sandra had soon changed into knee length shorts and vest tops. Nibs, Sandra, Daraus and both the fairies walked out of the front door and they then turned towards the mountains.
Nibs was carrying Daraus’ carrier and asked, “Bike ride?”
“Yeah, why not,” replied Sandra and they walked to the bike sheds and found the mountain bikes still located there and took two out.
Nibs gave hers a quick once over and lifted Daraus to her shoulder and he dropped into the carrier and then Nibs climbed on and raised the chain up one chain ring and dropped the rear down four of the nine gears the rear had. Nibs then pushed off and peddled a short distance and stopped the disk brakes stopping her almost on a Deck coin, Nibs also held her balance perfectly and then bounced the bike round all the time keeping her self as close to vertical as possible. Nibs then accelerated at Sandra and stopped dead as she pulled the front brakes. As Nibs controlled the back down she span on the front and placed the back down at about 135degrees from where she had started, and smiled at Sandra.
“How did you know you would stop that quick?” Sandra asked.
“I didn’t, educated guess as the rest of the stuff is Academy then I guessed these were too and the names and brands I’ve seen on the bike, they are top of the range,” Nibs said and indicated for Sandra to lead which she did up the track heading for the view point, “Yeah, some brands are better than others in certain areas, Shiddar Brakes are the best, they will stop you on a Deck coin. Hence the educated guess. 27 gears is a serious amount to have and I bet there were their for people to use to escape into the mountains, where vehicles other than humans or bike would not be able to go.”
“What about choppers?” Sandra thought asked as she dropped the rear down three and the front up one.
“You get into the deep mountains, and even choppers find it hard, to follow, what with the way the wind is, one minute you have an easy level wind, the suddenly you have an updraft of air or a down draft, those have been know to cause crashes and deaths,” responded Nibs, “Once when I was in Rujuniva me and Tammeria were on a weekend holiday with Tammeria’s parents in the mountains, when a chopper was coming into land on one of the hotel chopper pads and a down draft hit, it smashed the chopper right into the roof, the crash killed all on board and injured three, a mother and her two kids who were playing in the suite below, the entire roof collapsed in on them.”
“Ouch,” said Sandra as the pair plus now wolf boy Daraus looking over Nibs shoulder the pair continued on up the track and when it bent round to head back to the Retreat Sandra pushed on and soon crested the rise the path continued along the edge and round a corner some distance ahead.
The pair cycled down the track, Nibs spotted a log to the left hand side of the track and thought said, “Hang on hun, I may have found something.”
“Ok,” came Sandra’s response and she too stopped and back tracked a bit and looked at the log Nibs had found.
“It looks good, is off the right type a main stem rather than one of the top logs,” Nibs said and tapped it and listened to the sound it made, “don’t sound to bad.”
“Lets mark it and come back if we don’t find better,” Sandra said as she positioned locked the log and then continued on down the track and as they turned the corner Nibs saw a tree trunk over at an angle, but still bedded in the ground.
Nibs took her knife out and took a small piece of bark off and tapped the wood, Nibs then said, “it’s sounds good and solid on the inside and it looks like it still has some moisture in.”
“Right then,” Sandra said, “what do we need now?”
“Axe and some rope and me and you feeling strong,” Nibs said.
The pair then headed back for the Retreat to fetch the axe and a rope. When they had returned they put the bikes away and both walked to the garage opened the doors, inside Nibs saw some of the upgrades to technology, the welder had been changed, all the tools the guys used during operations had been replaced with the latest models, Nibs found the axe she wanted and both her and Sandra who was carrying the rope headed back to the site, it took a good forty five minutes to walk back to the tree. When the group arrived back Sandra who was also carrying some water took a gulp and handed the bottle to Nibs, who also took a gulp and rested the axe’s blade edge against the tree and then climbed onto the trunk and swung and the first mark had been made. Within a few blows Nibs was taking chunks out of the trunk, Sandra had looped the rope around the tree and then using one of the forest trees as a pulley point she pulled on the rope and she could feel the trunk give a little every ten to twelve swings of Nibs’ axe.
After a good thirty minutes Sandra could feel the trunk going and Nibs changed sides and started to attack the opposite side. After about twenty blows with the axe the trunk cracked and Nibs swung the Axe hard against the site and the truck cracked and fell to the ground. Nibs made sure his weight was over the end still stuck in the ground and she then jumped down and bedded the axe in the end of the trunk. Then both Nibs and Sandra dragged the thirty odd foot long log all the way back to the retreat where Nibs went to the armoury and found the machete she had used on the hunting trip. Nibs then returned to the log to start to clean off all the branches and also to peal back the bark.
Claire came out in her Bikini and saw the log Nibs and Sandra had brought back and checked it against her data base of useful plants and extracts, she found that the sap and bark of the Black Cellum tree could be used in the treatment of burns and scolds. Claire walked over to where Nibs was working and listening to her digital player and tapped Nibs on the shoulder and when Nibs had turned around and saw Claire she removed the ear plugs. Claire then said, “Can I have the bark and any sap you collect?”
“Yeah, of course, I was going to use the bark in creating some nice aromas,” said Nibs, “If you can get any sap from it, it was almost dead when we found it, it had been almost ripped from the ground by something.”
“Ok,” said Claire and collected the longest pieces of the bark and disappeared back in doors and passed Sandra on her way out with a cold glass of Cabilla.
When Sandra got back she handed the glass to Nibs who took a long swig and almost emptied half the glass and smiled at Sandra and made one mark and stood on the log and started to remove the top section. When this came off, Nibs marked the length of a drum plus a large amount and swung the axe then went through the trunk and did the same another drum length plus a large bit and again chopped the section from the trunk. The pair then carried the two pieces into the garage and Nibs took down one of the woodsman saws and started to saw through the log a lot closer to the base on the drum and then again at the opposite end.
Sandra was intently watching Nibs as she worked and then when Nibs had finished she passed the saw to Sandra who like Nibs sawed through her log and removed the two mashed ends.
Nibs then said, “The next job is to slowly cook the inside of the log and then to dig out the inner from first the top and then the bottom, this section is a long and time consuming task, as the coals burn the wood we want to dig out. When that is done we can then start to shape the outside of the drum.”
“This must take the people of Rudeash days to do,” Sandra said.
“It does, but the sense of pride though when you ring a beat out your own personal drum, is incredible, I’ve never done it but I did watch Cubbadar make a drum about a month before I left Rudeash,” Nibs said.
“I bet,” Sandra said, “Where are we going to get the coals from though?”
“Forest Scope hardware store or DIY place, all we want really is charcoal that we can light and then use to burn the wood so we can dig it out,” Nibs said.
“Ok,” responded Sandra, “so is that the way you dig out wood then?”
“Yeah,” responded Nibs, “Most traditional cultures use similar ways, some use direct fire others use, coals or similar.”
“I think we have our own personal ethnographer here,” laughed Daraus.
“Thank you,” said Nibs, and the group then got up and headed for the bikes, Nibs first stuck her head around the door and said, “We need anything from Forest Scope, me and Sandra are heading down to buy some cheap charcoal, as we need it to create the sound chamber and bell end.”
“No Nibs, we have generally we have everything we need,” said Paul.
“Ok,” responded Nibs and disappeared out of the door.

* * * * * *

Midday Moroth Sandra’s PDU began to play A Rocker’s Dream, by Kim Hasdarn. She picked it up and saw it was a private number, she then hit the connect button and said, “Hi, Sandra Calton-Patterson, how can I help?”
“Hi Sandra,” said Simon, “I currently sat in my office at the school with Heather. She wishes to speak with the whole of the Vixens.”
“Speak through me then,” said Sandra.
“Ok,” said Simon.
Then Heather voice said, “Hi Sandra.”
“Hi,” replied Sandra.
“Why I want to speak to the Vixens is to offer them a group ticket to the Graduation Ball. As I am right in saying that the entire group was involved in the disbandment of the Aces?” Heather said.
“You are, and on behalf of the Vixens we accept your offer and will see you at the Ball on Frodar,” Sandra replied.
“Then I shall see you all on Frodar,” Heather said.
Simon then said, “Chat to you on Frodar Sandra and send my regards to the rest of the Vixens.”
“I will Simon,” said Sandra and disconnected the link.

* * * * * *

At dinner Moroth evening Sandra said, “I had a chat with the headmistress of the high school and she has offered the Vixens a group ticket to the Ball. In thanks for dealing with the Aces.”
“That’s nice of her,” said Hell Bright.
“Even though both me and Wong dropped out of school before we took our finals all the teachers thought we would get good Bs and As in most of the subjects we took,” Jum said.
“I’m never even going to take my Highers,” said Claire, “but I’m still going to the Academy, a college for elite ghosts.”
“Yes, it will be nice to graduate as a group, rather than some of us enjoy Graduation and others not,” Nibs said then raised her glass and said, “To the friends and family we all have here and elsewhere on Darra Von.”
Everyone then raised they glasses and said, “To friends and family.”

* * * * * *

A couple of days later on Ulleam Nibs and Sandra wake and Nibs looked at her PDU and saw the time is only 08:50BN.
Nibs suggested to Sandra, “How about a group bike ride today into the mountains, you never know you may be permitted to see me scramble.”
“Lets do it hun,” said Sandra.
Daraus moved under the sheets and appeared in-between Nibs and Sandra, and said, “If the rest of the fairies give me they fairy promise I think I may reveal myself to everyone, you all are friends and I see also a connection that goes beyond just simple partners.”
“I have seen the same we do seen to know what each other is going to do especially in battle,” Sandra said.
“I think it may be more than that,” Nibs said, “I’m still not sure what I saw but on the way here, I swear I saw the retreat as if I was using your eyes but you were just behind me at the time.”
“That is strange,” said Sandra, “It may be an idea to see if anyone has had strange things, like that, happen to them.”
“True.” said Nibs and got up and then lit the blunt Nibs had half smoked last night before the pair fell asleep. Nibs then walked to the en-suite bathroom. When Nibs came back out she found Sandra up and Sandra threw Nibs’ bathrobe to her and then the pair, Daraus, Blackie and Pixie all walked down the outside stairs and found no one awake, this surprised Nibs as Tina never need that much sleep.
An hour later Tina and Abs both walked out of the bedroom wing door and Tina went and grabbed herself a coffee and then walked outside and found Nibs, Sandra, and the three companions sat enjoying the morning sun.
Nibs said when Tina, Abs and the pair’s fairy companions sat down, “A suggestion Sandra and I had for today, take a bike ride into the mountains and just generally have fun out and about.”
“Now that is a good idea,” said Abs, “how’s the work on the drums coming?”
“We’ve finished the sound chambers and just need now to mould and shape the outside, which is quite a skilled job as to do it properly you need to get the wood so it is about ten mill in thickness,” Nibs said.
Soon everyone had joined the four friends on the Veranda where Nibs suggested the idea to them and everyone thought it to be a great one.

* * * * * *

Half and hour later everyone met dressed ready to spend the day in the saddle so to speak. Nibs and Sandra who had before everyone had woken had gotten dressed and checked all the bikes over and made sure a few spares and puncture repair kits were carried. Nibs carried three separate sets of puncture repair kits.
Nibs said when everyone had gathered carrying rucksacks each of which contained water and a few pieces of food, “Right friends. I hope everyone here knows how to ride, but now would be a good time to tell me if you can’t.”
No one put up their hands, “Ok,” said Nibs, “Whilst we are out a friend in out midst wishes to ask the all the fairies present something, and unless they all give their fairy promise, like Blackie and Pixie did back on the night of the Pre-wedding bash, will the friend come out of hiding so to speak.”
“Nibs,” asked Deedban, “Is the person a young Daraus?”
“I concur on that,” said Meellium.
“A fairy promise made can never be broken,” thought said Charrbrr to Claire, “I hope every fairy gives it, we are a team, and team should be able to trust one another.”
“Well said,” thought responded Claire and Paul.
“Thank you, you two,” Charrbrr thought said.
“Your welcome Charrbrr,” Claire thought said.
Everyone in the group of friends spent a few seconds thinking about the request, and each pair of fairies said, “A Fairy promise is sought from us, and that is given, we,” and each pair said their names, “give our promise never to reveal the presence of the hidden one, whom ever it may be to anyone or any creature, be it an evil thing we want to kill or our friends in the Fairy community, and a Fairy promise is given.”
Daraus then said aloud, “With those words I know I am safe from practical jokes from the fairy kind.” Daraus then padded into the middle of the group in wolf form and them morphed into Daraus Wolf-boy and said, “This is my true form. As we are one family, fairies and Humans it is only right that you all know my true form and that if is wasn’t for you all. I would still be cursed to live out my life as a wolf. I think someone said something about a bike ride.”
“Yes we did, and welcome to the Gangrels and Vixens Daraus,” Paul said.
“I wish we could induct you to the Gangrels,” said Sandra, “as you as much as anyone have the right to be a member, but due to plans and situations within the Gangrels, Timothy being the main one, we can’t.”
“Yes we can sis,” said Paul, “We induct Daraus in private rather than in front of the rest of the gang, he’s never far away and most Gangrels when they see you or Nibs soon they will know that Daraus won’t be far away.”
“True,” said Sandra and smiled and the climbed onto her bike.
Nibs bent down and picked up Daraus and placed him in the carrier, “We are going to have to modify the carrier for you Daraus,” Nibs said.
“Not really, you forget how powerful I am Nibs,” Daraus thought said to Nibs, I’m half in the carrier and half in a small pocket dimension.”
“Arh,” Nibs said and climbed onto her bike and said, “We ready?”
“Yeah,” everyone shouted and with Nibs in the lead they group of friends set off on a day cycling in the mountains.
The scenery the as they followed the cliffs was of the forest stretching for as far as the eye could see and the line of the Low Back Mountains that ran from Sheedan Bay just north of Suraban to eastern seaboard just north of Echo Bay. The forest stretched half way up the 2000 plus metre mountain sides. Some of the inner mountains measured in at heights in excess off 7000metres, and even those weren’t the highest some of the mountains in other mountain ranges measured in at heights close to 15,000metres.
After close on an hour of cycling in the sun the group came upon a scree slope where Nibs who was leading looked down estimated the distance from top to bottom to be about 600metres, at the bottom was a track heading into the mountains.
When everyone had arrived Nibs said, “We are going to have to go down there cause there’s a track at the bottom into the mountains.”
When everyone had closely looked down the scree slope, Claire gulped and said, “I don’t think am going to be able to make it.”
“You should Claire. Trust in your bike, on the open market these bikes would cost in the range of 30,000decks each at trade. The equipment is top of the range for it type and each different component is the very best,” Nibs said and then, “Meet you all at the bottom.” Nibs stood on the pedals and bounced the bike to the edge and smiled back at everyone and bounced once more and dropped on the scree slope and accelerated slightly and let gravity do its job and very soon Nibs was pulling the brakes to slow and stop her at the bottom.
Sandra who was next closest locked the back brake and the pushed off and released the brake and again let gravity work. When Sandra reached the bottom she said, “Boy was that fun.”
“Yeah I know ain’t it,” Nibs said in response.
“And you are very good you know the environment,” said Sandra as Claire took her fear in her hands and came over the brow and slowly descended.
Nibs shouted up to her, “Do you trust me Claire?”
Claire nodded yes.
“Then accelerate slightly, remember what I said about riding motorbike about momentum, weight and balance,” Nibs shouted to her.
Claire released the front brakes and gained a bit of speed down the hill and then she began to work the brakes.
When she had reached the bottom, Nibs said, “See wasn’t that bad was it?”
“No, I want to do it again,” said Claire with a sparkle that Sandra saw and had learnt meant I enjoyed that.
Paul was next down. Then everyone else came down. Individually rather as groups.
When every one was down Nibs led the group up the track which led into the mountains.
A little way in the group came to a small valley that was covered in a rich green grassland, completely surrounding the valley was mountains and running up the left hand side of the valley was the footpath, but as Nibs was hoping to swing south and back to the house.
Nibs thought said to Sandra, “Go right at the boulder, I’m going left and hopefully will be able to find a high spot.”
“Ok,” Sandra said in reply.
Nibs went left Sandra who led the group a short distance to a large flatish area whilst Nibs went up and as the path turned Nibs looked over the valley and then took out her PDU and checked the time and position locked it on the local area map.
“Shall we stop here for a break we’ve all been the saddle since 11 this morning and its now almost 13:30AN, and I could do with a break,” suggested Wong.
“I was thinking the same Wong, we stop here and then travelled back down the track and then hopefully come up on the house from the opposite direction to the one we left in this morning,” said Nibs as she came down the track the she had used a few minutes before.
The friends then cycled down the track to the grassland and they all climbed off and then most collapsed onto the soft grass, Nibs sat beside the bike with Sandra laying her head on Nibs’ thigh and looked up into the eyes of her partner. Nibs took the carrier off and Daraus climbed out and along with fairies went and played in the long grass.
Sandra said, “I love you Nibs.”
“And I love you hun,” responded Nibs.
Wong and Hell Bright who had been carrying the food for the day out, set up the small stoves taken from the battle store. Wong asked, “Any springs in the area?”
Paul then said, after spending a few minutes concentrating on something, “Yeah, there’s a spring about 30metres that way and it runs south Wong.”
Wong got up and grabbed all the empty drinks bottles and wandered in the direction Paul had indicated, Wong soon found the source and said, “Thanks Paul.”
“No worries, I’m happy I was right,” Paul said.
“It looks like you are becoming someone very unique hun,” said Claire as she looked up into the blue sky.
“I know I am,” said Paul, “Me morphing and now being able to detect a water source, I wonder how many more abilities I have to gain.”
Jum said in response to Paul’s statement, “I wonder how powerful we will become as a team. It’s weird but I swear I saw what someone was going to do before they did it.”
“Same here,” said Wong, “on Frodar when Abs rolled into the guys’ legs I instinctively knew what Abs had done, and I realised that he need a bit of help in the over balance stakes.”
“I had a similar experience,” Nibs said, “I have no idea who it was, but I saw the retreat is if I was there.”
“Any idea who’s eyes you were looking through?” Ren asked.
“No, that’s is the annoying bit,” Nibs said as Daraus bounded back to the group happy as can be as the fairies had all accepted him as their equal.
When Daraus had returned he said, “You lot are the bloody greatest bunch of people I think my kind have helped in the millennia that has past since the curse was put on us.”
“Who put the curse on you?” asked Hell Bright.
“The person or persons names have been long since forgotten, but I think the Academy may have a few of the truly ancient texts from the time before Homo Sapiens Daba become the main life form on the planet,” Daraus said, “The legends Melanine told you at the festival were concerning my father and that is one of the main reason’s why I am here now. We normally don’t leave the protection of the Den until we are sixteen seventeen years old, and we live for a very long time. I think the oldest one of us is now 600,000 years old and lives as the elder of the Northern Den.”
“Bloody hell,” said Paul, “600,000 years, then he must have seen a massive amount.”
“It’s a she, and yes she has and all that information is available to me as memories, but before any of you ask, I have no knowledge of the information at all, “Daraus said, “In time I will under take quests and most of them are very dangerous and could lead to my death, even though very few adversairies can face up to an Angel Wolf. The tests rarely test strength, but always test intellect and knowledge.”
“Can you take people with you when you complete these quests?” Nibs asked.
“Yes I can,” Daraus replied.
“Then if I am still alive when you get called to undertake a quest I volunteer to help you complete that one and any others you may undertake whilst I live,” responded Nibs with a deadly serious tone in her voice.
“No hun, us both,” Sandra said.
“Daraus, how do you actually survive, as you don’t eat?” Nibs asked.
“I live and survive by absorbing Mana, which is such abundance I do not need to take from the people around me. I still need water, whilst I was in pup form I did need to eat, but the second I lost the last of my pup hair, I gained the ability to absorb all the energy I need from the environment,” Daraus replied.
“How long before you are at full power?” Hell Bright asked.
“I am at full power now, but 90% of my abilities are unavailable to me whilst not in life threatening danger, and it’s not when my life is in danger. The abilities I have all the time are, See Invisible, See Auras, where I malt, and I constantly malt, tracking of people I’m linked to is almost impossible, any one on your trail and they pass through a room where I have malted within the last 24hrs, will 99% of the time completely loose all track of you, it will be as if you disappeared without a trace. Another one of my abilities is to boost or give a kick start to people’s natural healing abilities. It’s not healing magick, the healing factors, skin and muscle regeneration is quadrupled, Bone regeneration is at eight times normal, hence John,” Daraus said.
“Right,” responded Nibs, “John doesn’t know it was you does he.”
“He may suspect, but he has no proof other than I licked him,” Daraus said.
“Yes what is it with the lick,” Jum said.
“It links me with people hence the tracker’s loosing you,” Daraus said, “It normally takes about ten licks in general for me to link myself to a person, and the link is permanent and I have no upper limit to how many people I can link with.”
“First batch of drinks are done,” said Wong.
“And the first batch of soup as well,” said Hell Bright.
“Excellent,” said Claire and grabbed a stack of bowls and as Hell Bright dished out the first three bowls, Claire passed one to Nibs and the second to Sandra, and then said, “Here Hell, have this and I’ll do the next batch.”
“Thanks hun,” said Hell Bright and she took the bowl and spoon offered and also broke a lump of bread off and moved a little way away and let Claire sit where she had been sitting.
Wong passed Nibs a mug of coffee, and said, “Thanks for the idea of the bike ride.”
“No worries, certain people here had been bugging me since they found out I was a cycle scrambler and this was the perfect opportunity to show them I was, hun,” Nibs said.
“And you are very good indeed,” Sandra said.
“I agree Sandra, you are very good, easily good enough to try for the Extreme Sports competions,” Tina said.
“You think so,” responded Nibs.
“Yeah easily hun,” Sandra said.
“Mm, the possibilities,” Nibs said and smiled.
After lunch of soup, bread and cheese had been eaten and the cookers had been cleaned away the group lay back on the grass and just listened to the sounds of the mountains and the wind. Nibs heard other sounds as well as the wind, she heard the sounds, of the earth and the animals. Sandra squeezed Nibs’ hand and Nibs then grasped Sandra’s and squeezed hers.
After laying there for a good hour they all suddenly woke and sat up.
Wong said, “That’s strange,” after looking around at everyone.
“Yeah that is,” said Sandra and Nibs.
“Anyway as we all are awake, shall we head back for the Retreat, and mine and Sandra’s treat for Dinner and we’re not telling,” Nibs said.
“Yeah,” everyone said and finished sorting out the area and refilling empty bottles and generally making sure that the area they had been in looked like they hadn’t been there. Nibs led the way back down the path and as they were crossing the scree slide they saw a male and female walker coming from the opposite direction. Nibs slowed and the group allowed them to pass.
The female walker asked, “Any nice spots ahead to camp in?”
“Yeah,” Nibs said, “There is, a small valley about five miles up the track.”
“Ok, thanks,” the female walker said, and as the pair cleared Ren the group started to cycle again down the track. Nibs slowed and stood on the pedals and checked an area ahead and released the brakes and started to pedal slightly as the track turned it followed the cliff for a short while and then turned off and began to rise as it disappeared into the Low Back Foothill Forest. Nibs carefully negotiated the track and as she turned she accelerated and started to work the gears to a good one of a combination of good torque and traction and a good gear to give the legs a work out.
Sandra who was behind Nibs also accelerated as she turned and like Nibs she worked the gears, Claire missed the acceleration and slowed and almost stopped at the side of the track, Jum flew passed her and was closely followed by Wong. Paul pulled in just ahead as Angel and then Damieel passed.
Paul said, “Lets wait to the rest have gone and then think about following them.”
When Ren had passed, Claire stood on the high pedal and accelerated and was followed by Paul. Nibs had gotten to the top of the rise and stopped and waited for Claire and Paul to pass before she joined the group as the trail went down and cornered left slightly and continued to drop the group passed a clearing and the rough route of the track and real bitch of a climb up ahead.
Nibs said over the comm. system, “Big rise ahead.”
“Ok,” said Sandra as she hit the bottom and accelerated up the track.
As Claire, Paul and Nibs hit the bottom of the rise all three accelerated and at the crest they kept going and soon had Ren in sight. The forest around the track was full of life but as normal with the forest the further you looked from the track the less the ground vegetation was.

* * * * * *

After about four hours the group was heading back up the path that ran along the cliff edge Nibs who was still at the back saw the Retreat and smiled a few minutes later the group appeared from the trees and cycled up passed the Retreat and locked the bikes in the shed and then returned to the house for a nice and chilled evening whilst waiting for Nibs and Sandra to serve dinner.
Everyone else in the group was sat out on the veranda Nibs came out and said, “It’s ready.”
“Hey,” everyone said, and walked back into the house and saw a spread of various dishes from around the world from the places Nibs had visited.
Wong asked when she heard the music, “Where’s the music from?”
“My hard drive at home base Wong, currently being played over the free satellite link, Ren?” Ren nodded yes, “It a random selection from my favourite of the unsigned bands. I found a Flea market, as they called it, in Ne-U-Bar and bought CDs some had sound files on others had direct music on,” said Nibs, “I have in the region of ten terabytes of music files, my digital player has 140gigs worth of music on and also 60 gig of digital recordings I’ve made, specifically from the Seminars last week.”
“The Satellite link is free, I think they bounce the signal through the Echo Tech satellite network,” Ren said.
“Arh,” Nibs said.
“Where’s each from?” asked Abs.
“That is for you lot to try and work out, everyone should be able to guess which is Jarrzarian, but from the list of countries on the wall, which dish is from which country,” Sandra said.
“Arh good,” said Nibs and grabbed the remote control from the mantle piece and hit the normal play button. “I can’t work out where this is from and I would say I have pretty much most genres on my computer. I even went back and asked the guy where he got it from. He said his dad had it and he was selling the stuff he didn’t want.”
“It’s got a catchy simple beat to it,” said Tina.
“Yeah it has,” said Ren and soon most of the fairies were semi dancing whilst hovering.
Nibs had her PDU out fast enough and took a video of the scene, and then when she had about ten seconds she stopped it and played the recording.
Nibs saw the fairies dancing on the screen and then asked Sandra, “Can you see the fairies in this?” and showed her the recording.
“Yes I can,” that’s strange unless we can see then even in digital format,” Sandra replied, “but that was quick thinking hun, put it on the projector.”
“Yeah, let everyone finish eating,” said Nibs and Sandra smiled, and continued eating, some Spinnaya Duck. Nibs picked up a Mutta coated sheep’s rib and took a chunk of meat off. Even Daraus was tucking in and looked like he was enjoying it. “Enjoying that Daraus?” asked Nibs.
“Loving it thanks. Just cause I don’t need food to survive don’t mean I don’t enjoy good food,” Daraus replied.
“Very true,” Sandra said.
After dinner and pudding was finished and a black coffee from North Rudeashean Coffee plantations. Nibs stood and asked, “Have friends come to a decision concerning which dish is from which country?”
Abs said, “That one,” and she pointed to the bowl which had Spinnaya Duck in, “Spinnaya Duck?”
“Yes,” replied Nibs
Claire said, “I know that one, but I’m not going to answer.” Paul then went and tried to look into Claire’s mind which forced Claire to shut him out and, “Don’t go there Paul,” and Claire stared daggers, “What I will say is you had the Jarrzarian version of it.”
“And the countries I’ve visited are listed up there,” Nibs said.
“South Attica?” asked Paul.
“Bingo hun,” said Claire, “South Aticca and Jarrzar have shared close ties for the past 1200 years. Maybe longer.”
Wong then said, “The Ribs wouldn’t happen to be from Rudeash?”
“Yeap Wong,” replied Nibs, “Three more.”
Claire then said, “Is the vegetable dish from Rujuniva?”
“No it’s not Clair, but close though the two countries do have similar agricultural base though,” Nibs said
“Deebina then,” said Jum.
“Yes Deebina,” responded Nibs, “We have Ne-U-Bar and Rujuniva to go.”
Tina said, “That one’s is from Rujuniva.”
“You sound very certain about that Tina,” Nibs said.
“Yes, I wasn’t sure if it was Deebina or Rujunivan,” Tina said, “with Deebina gone it only leaves Rujuniva left.”
“Yes it is from Rujuniva,” Nibs said.
“Then there was one. Ne-U-Bar,” said Hell Bright.
Nibs laughed and said, “I think I have something to show everyone,” and Nibs linked her PDU to the digital projector, and played the ten seconds of the fairies dancing to the music being played.
Everyone laughed including the fairies at the scene as it was played through.

* * * * * *

Darabar morning Nibs was sat of the lower veranda with a sanding block and her drum, Nibs was sanding down the rough sides and making it look good, before she would varnish it and then skin and tension it.
Sandra walked out and looked around for Nibs and saw her on the lower level, working on her drum with Daraus in wolf form laying beside Nibs asleep, and walked towards her, Sandra saw that Nibs was listening to music whilst sanding, Sandra stood behind her and tapped Nibs on the shoulder.
Nibs took one of the in-ear headphones out and said, “Hi hun.”
“Hi, I just remembered we promised to organise the two people we met in Risers last Savraday to go to the Gathering this Savraday,” responded Sandra.
“Good point,” said Nibs and took out her PDU and found the two numbers and pressed the conference call button on the PDU.
A few seconds later, Annabel picked up and said, “Hello, Annabel speaking, how can I help?”
Then Leia opened the link to her phone and said, “Hello. Who’s that?”
“Leia, is that you?” Annabel said.
“Yeah, I don’t remember ringing you,” said Leia.
“You didn’t Leia, I did, hello its Nibs and Sandra, we met,” Nibs said.
“Hi Nibs, Sandra,” Leia said.
“Yeah hi, how the hell can I hear yours and Leia’s voice at the same time?” Annabel asked.
“I’m conference calling you both from my PDU,” said Nibs, “anyway, you two still free this Savraday?”
“Yeah,” said Annabel sound quite shocked, “I didn’t expect you to ring, but I’m doing nothing at all either Savraday or Sumdar.”
“Yeah I’m still free,” Leia said.
“Good,” responded Nibs, “Then the Vixens will call pass at about midday and transport you to Command where we can get ready for the Gathering, and you can meet the rest of the Vixens and other friends and also meet the gang’s leader.”
“Sounds great,” responded Leia, “You need my address don’t you?”
“Yes, I need just house or flat number, the road, and the postal code, We’ll find it using some map software we run on the PDUs,” Nibs said.
“I’ll met you at Leia’s,” said Annabel, “It would be easier I think.”
“Yeah more than likely,” said Sandra.
“Oh hi Sandra,” said Leia.”
“Yeah hi Sandra,” said Annabel.
“Hi to the both of you,” Sandra said.
“So Leia text me the details and we’ll pick you up on Savraday at about midday, we’ll ring before we get to you,” Nibs said.
“Yeah, no problem, I hope you both have had a good week,” Annabel said
“We are thanks,” said Nibs, “We’ll see you both on Savraday at about midday.”
“Yeah see you then,” Leia said sounding happy.
“Bye, see you Savraday,” Annabel said also sounding happy.

* * * * * *

Claire and Paul were both sunbathing on the top balcony when Claire’s mobile started to play ‘To Heaven Goth Girls Go’ Claire thought, ‘I must transfer all my numbers to the PDU and then send a message to everyone telling them the new number.’ She grabbed it and hit the connect button after seeing that it was Julie-Ann ringing.
“Hi Jules,” said Claire.
“Hi you,” said Julie-Ann as Claire rolled over and began to sun her top less front. Both Charrbrr and Deedban were also lazing, except they looked like they were playing some form of game. “How have you been?” then asked Julie-Ann.
“Very good thanks, currently the whole Vixens are on vacation in the Low Back Mountains,” Claire replied.
“Say hi to Paul for me,” Julie-Ann said, “A bit of news, I’m going and am going to be joined by Wendy and Racheal on Savraday.”
“Wendy as well!” exclaimed Claire.
“Yeah Wendy,” responded Julie-Ann.
Paul opened his left eye and looked at Claire and asked, “Who you talking to sweet?”
“Julie-Ann,” replied Claire and she then gave him a kiss as she grabbed her Bikini top and put it on so she could go and get a drink. “Drink hun?” asked Claire.
“Yeah thanks,” replied Paul, “something cold please hun.”
“No problem,” replied Claire as she stood and saw Nibs and Sandra both sat on the lower Veranda sanding their new drums.
“So how are the rest of the Vixens then?” Julie-Ann asked
“Enjoying the vacation, Nibs and Sandra are currently sanding their new hand made Rudeashian drums, Paul and me are sun bathing, the rest of them are chilling and enjoying the break,” Claire replied.
“A another piece of news, Sarah is very interested in my plans for building links between the Street gang side of the Gangrels and the Mercenary Youth units,” Julie-Ann said.
“That is good news,” Claire said.
“The Youth feeder unit I’m a member of is planning on getting to command mid-afternoon and I plan to have a chat with Sarah, and Gareth about it,” Julie-Ann said, “I’ll let you get on with that drink you promised Paul,” and the link went dead as Julie-Ann disconnected.

* * * * * *

A few hours later in the middle of the afternoon Jum and Wong both walked on to the lower Veranda and saw both Nibs and Sandra sanding and listening to Nibs’ Digital Player whilst it played on some speakers Nibs had found in the lab linked to one of the computers down there.
Wong sat down and looked at the work both the friends had put in to the drums, Wong shock her head at the effort. Wong then asked, “Jum and I have had an idea that when we get back to the Club we,” and she indicated the four, “Cook a proper Jarrzarian meal. All the courses and such for everyone here and also what ever adults are around at the club, and also include Duggie and family in the invitation.”
“Yeah, sounds like an excellent idea,” said Nibs, “Any plans on the menu items yet?”
“No, other than an idea of the basics,” replied Jum.
Nibs then put her drum down and rotated the outside of the drum and also ran her hand over it. Nibs found a small lump and began to sand the area.
Jum asked, “How long before they are finished?”
“Hopefully today, if not then we’ll finish them at the Academy itself, I hope to have them finished by this evening, fully strung and tensioned,” Nibs replied.
“I knew how much passion you had for the training Hume gave us, but I can now see that you have the same passion for all your hobbies,” Wong said and was joined by Meellium as she came from the roof where she had been sunbathing and just generally relaxing with a group of the fairies, including Blackie and Pixie.
Jum got up and said, “You three want something to drink?”
“Yeah thanks,” said Nibs as she placed the drum on the ground when she had checked the area she had been working on.
“How much more to go on your’s hun?” Sandra asked.
“Just some minor work in the sound chamber and the bell end and then all I have to do is skin and tension it. I hope we have the right cord here, otherwise I’m going to have to get some when we get back to Suraban,” Nibs said.
“What you looking for exactly Nibs?” Wong asked.
“Some cord that doesn’t stretch, as the tension it’s going to be under will slowly stretch most cords,” Nibs said, “I wish I knew how to make natural rope for them and use that, but I don’t and therefore need to use cord.” Nibs then sat back and rolled herself a blunt and smoked it.
Jum returned carrying a tray and said, “Angel and Damieel are in the Kitchen cooking.”
“Sounds good,” said Sandra.
“Yeah, it smelt good,” said Jum.

* * * * * *

Later on that day everyone was sat on the Veranda waiting Angel and Damieel to dish out dinner to them.
The sliding door opened and out walked Angel carrying a stack of plates and cutlery. She placed them down on the main table and disappeared back in side, Claire got up and as she was about to go inside to get some glasses for drinks, Damieel walked out carrying a tray with glasses on. Angel then appears back carrying four large bottles of Cabilla and places them on the table.
Nibs then stood and said, “Drinks?”
Everyone present nodded, and the group heard two voices from inside, “Please Nibs.”
“Done, Angel, Damieel,” responded Nibs and poured out twelve glasses and passed one to each of the friends, sat on the railing were ten of the fairies, Angel’s and Damieel’s partner fairies were inside helping in the cooking of dinner.
Five minutes after Angel had disappeared into the Retreat after carrying out the Cabilla bottles, Angel and Damieel both appeared carrying large trays piled high with simple Surran food. They both dished the meal out to each member of the friends and then they both sat down and said, “Enjoy.”
“It smells excellent thanks,” said Tina as she stabbed a piece of the meat in spicy gravy and stuck it in her mouth, “mm, delicious thank you twins.”
“Your welcome Tina,” said Damieel and then Angel said, “We are both just happy that you are enjoying it.”
“Muchly,” said Nibs as she scouped some of the Vegatables onto her fork and then shoved it into her mouth.
Towards the end of the main course, Claire who was sitting beside Paul eating a piece of just right lamb stake. Claire felt the presence of a another person trying to gain entry to her mind. Claire them looked at who it was and found it was Sam. Claire smiled as she cast Mana Call and opened her self to her mum.
Claire then mentally said, “Mum can you heard me?”
Sam said in reply, “Yes, I can. How?”
“I’m training under a Attlanian Line walker to be able to cast real magick. You and I talking like this is magick, not just in the literal sense, but in the real one too,” Claire replied.
Problamatic“I don’t believe it,” Sam said, “I’m just happy that when am over heard my lord when he has been talking to people not in the same room as him, paid off. How have you been and how is Duggie and the rest of the family?”
“Everyone is great mum, a lot has happened since you were kidnapped. I now run with the Gangrel gang specifically the unit Paul and Sandra run with, from across the road to home. I’m also now happy married to Paul Patterson,” Claire said and said to everyone, “Guys Sam and I are in communication.”
Nibs said in response, “Your mum Sam?”
Claire nodded as Sam said, “Congratulations Claire, I hope the two of you will always be happy.”
“We will be and in a few years, mum, we’re coming to get you, to free you, and teach the High Lord Karazzakkia what it means to annoy the Conspiracy.”
“To that end I will do what I can to help you, but I never see the out doors or even a window, it’s as if we are underground. I have no idea where I am in the world or if I’m on Darra Von,” Sam said.
“You are still on Darra Von mum,” said Claire, “Ithian the gent who is teaching me and Hell Bright to be Line Walkers has told me that the Mana Call spell don’t work across dimensions.”
“Thank god for that,” Sam said, “I wish I knew where I am. Can I take it by the fact you know an Attlanian you know what Duggie is?”
“Yes I do, as does Bill, Hemma, Beatrice and Damien mum, I have a feeling that when we come and get you, dad and Bill are both going to be coming as well,” Claire said.
“That wouldn’t surprise me in the least,” responded Sam, “And who is Hell Bright?”
“Can I ask, are you alone and safe?” Claire asked.
“As safe as I can be,” Sam said in a matter of fact tone, “Thankfully the boss don’t have rune statues in the rooms, so I can do this in peace in quiet and I suppose to be asleep, my eyes are closed but my mind is still active.”
“Good, Hell Bright is one of my new friends, I quit school five weeks ago and I’m about to go to The Academy, a college for elite ghosts. Currently I’m sat with my friends eating dinner cooked for us by Angel and Damieel, a Fallen Angel Risen Demon. The rest of my friends are Nibola Nibs Calton-Patterson or Nibs, Sandra Calton-Patterson. Yes mum before you say anything they are married, Nibs is a Trans person,” Claire said.
“Arh,” Sam responded.
“Paul my husband, Tina Griffiths-Detric, Anna Abs Griffiths-Detric,” Claire said.
“Another trans marriage?” Sam asked.
“Yes, another trans marriage. Ren brother to Hell Bright, Jum-fu and Wong-Ma, both of them are Jarrzarian and were friends with Nibs before she moved to Suraban, about 10 months ago and Daraus an Angel Wolf,” Claire said, “I’ve not actually finished mum, I could tell you the names of a lot of other people, but the most important ones are our fairy companions. Each of us except Daraus has a fairy companion, and we are linked to them and to our direct partner, which Paul is mine. To explain it here is difficult to say the least.”
“Then don’t try, say hi to everyone and also I hope to see them all very soon, and I’ll let you get back to dinner,” Sam said, “Oh before I go I heard the report Metzza and Abilgail gave the boss after the latest failure, ‘Those bastards surprised us again.’”
“Oh, yeah, how’s Abilgail’s face?” Claire asked smirking at the Burning Hands attack that surprised her.
“If you mean the burn on her cheek and eye, I have seen it, very nice, and she hadn’t told me it was from you. I think she is planning on keeping it as a reminder of how much she hates you,” Sam said, “Bye for now, I’ll contact you again in a few weeks hun, have lots of fun,” and Sam disappeared from Claire’s mind.
Claire then said, “Sam says hi, and she hopes to meet everyone very soon.”
“Yes and we all hope to meet her very soon as well,” said Sandra.
“She is using Mana Call, she learnt it from the High Lord himself,” Claire then said.
“Opps,” said Nibs, “It looks like he has created this little bird.”
“Yes it does, doesn’t it,” said Paul.
After dinner was finished including a traditional fruit pie and creamy mily as pudding Sandra and Wong-Ma volunteered to go and do the washing up. Everyone else sat outside smoking, reading or doing what every they wanted to in the warm evening.
Nibs brought her drum from the garage where she had fixed the neck ring in place. Nibs was also carrying two more rings, a piece of hide and a long length of cord. Nibs sat on the lower veranda and cut two circles from the Elk hide. Nibs then placed one of the rings over the sounding end and then she placed the second one which Nibs had bound and made small loops completely surrounding it on and the she made sure the first one she put on was completely outside the hide. Nibs then wound the hide around the ring first ring and Nibs then thread the cord and tied a knot in one end and then she started to thread the cord through a loop on the neck ring. Sandra came round the corner from the garage carrying her drum and like Nibs the necessary rings and cord to skin her drum.
When Sandra had sat down she asked, “Ok, with these items and the hide, how do I skin this?”
Nibs then explained the entire procedure to Sandra as she completed each phase, and then when she had got to the point where Nibs was at, the pair then strung the drum. When the stringing was finished Nibs said, “Now go back and take the slack out of the cord and make sure the cord between the top ring and the neck ring is tight, the last phase is when we put the hide under tension.” Nibs then tightened each length of cord and when she had finished Sandra was about half way round.
When Sandra had finished she said, “To tension I remember seeing the cord starting to make a lattice style affair.”
“That’s it, feed the long piece over one and under the next and then pull up,” and the two cords crossed and stopped together, “and the same with the next one over then under and pull,” and again the two cords crossed and were held together, and Nibs then sounded the drum for the first time and made a mental note six cords should do it. Nibs then put six tensions into the skin at regular intervials around the drum and again she sounded the drum and slipped a seventh in and tensioned that one and again sounded the drum and said, “Perfect.”
Then Sandra under the watchful eye of Nibs put her first tension in and then the second, when Nibs sounded the drum and said, “I think eight more tensions are needed.” Like Nibs had, Sandra put then in at regular intervals around the drum, then Nibs sounded it again and said, “Perfect.” The pair then quietly beat a tune between themselves. “Well done hun,” Nibs said, “you led for a good while then.”
“Yeah I know,” replied Sandra smiling happily.
Everyone on the main Veranda clapped the tune and both Nibs and Sandra said, “Thanks.”

* * * * * *

Frodar mid morning everyone at the retreat had just finished sorting the Retreat out for the next people to visit and stay. When everyone was out side and all the bags were packed and Nibs and Sandra’s drum had been fixed to the bikes Nibs closed and locked the front door, when she had reached the ground she opened the burglar alarm box and activated it.
Nibs then thought said to Sandra, “Remind me to come back and upgrade this when I’ve got my masters in security systems architecture.”
“Yeah ok,” Sandra thought replied as she dropped the kick start and the engine caught, everyone else started their engines and they all pulled out and headed back for Suraban and the Graduation Ball this evening and then the Gathering tomorrow evening.

* * * * * *

After a couple of hours the group were slowing for the toll booths. After everyone had arrived back at the club, Nibs, Sandra, Wong and Jum went shopping to the local hypermarket and local Jarrzarian food stores.
After spending a good hour shopping for the supplies they would need for the meal this evening. Duggie had already agreed to let the four use his kitchen and apartment to do the actual work on the meal.
When they had gotten back all of the Vixens, Bill and Duggie were sat outside reading or sunbathing. The four, plus Daraus and the fairy companions headed into the apartment and started to prepare Dinner Nibs was stood at the cooker and said, “Someone go and find Duggie, I need to know how to work the cooker?”
Wong disappeared out of the apartment as she had just finished preparing a North island fruit salad as one of the two puddings. Wong soon returned with a Duggie.
“Too work the cooker you need to pump some of you own mystic energy into the cooker,” Duggie said.
“How long on a charge?” Nibs asked
“13 hours. I pump some on last night and we didn’t use it this morning for breakfast and we haven’t needed it for hot water,” Duggie replied.
“Right, thanks,” Nibs said and pumped in a charge and suddenly the hot plates were hot and the ready light came on. “Lets do this, thanks Duggie.”
As Duggie walked out he said, “Dinner smells excellent.”
“It should,” said Sandra.

* * * * * *

Nibs walked out of the apartment at about 05:15 and asked, “Would the people out here like to sort out some were we can eat as a group? Thank you, dinner will be ready in about fifteen minutes.” Nibs then walked back into the apartment.
Paul, Ren, Bill and Duggie all got up and started to carry tables so they were end to end. Wong then brought out the drinks, as they were getting driven to the Ball and also being picked up, it allowed the group to drink and to get seriously stoned.

* * * * * *

Then at 05:30AN Nibs walked out of the apartment and placed the warmers on the table and was closely followed by Sandra and Wong who were both carrying large pans of steaming egg fried rice. The rice sat in a inner heater jacket the outer one being heated heat the water that surrounded the inner and kept the inner hot. Wong and Sandra placed the pans on two of the heater plates and then disappeared back into the apartment. Jum, who was carrying small soup bowls and spoons, followed by Nibs carrying a large steaming saucepan then exited the apartment and as Jum placed the bowls down, Nibs ladded the soup into each. Then when the pair had finished dishing out Nibs dished out Jum’s and Wong’s and the placed the saucepan on to the boiler following a few seconds later came Wong and Sandra both carrying large bowls with Jarrzarian bread in.
When Sandra and Wong had sat down the entire table started to eat. Duggie who was sat beside Jum said, “Who cooked the soup, it’s excellent?”
“A combination of myself,” said Jum, “and Sandra.”
“I must get the receipt, it is delicious,” responded Duggie.
“That’s a good point I wonder what the cooking arrangements are like at the Academy,” Nibs said, “I hope either we have access to cooking facilities or can have access to the kitchen as most of us enjoy cooking and also enjoy the process of cooking.”
When the soup course was finished Nibs and Sandra gathered up the dirty bowls and followed Wong and Jum into the apartment. Inside Nibs and Sandra went about washing up the bowls as they would be needed for the rice and possibly the pudding courses as well. As Nibs and Sandra washed up, Jum and Wong went about getting the second starter course, ‘Wrapped Sea Prawns in Salted Sea Leaves’ out of the oven and onto the three large plates that had been in boiling hot water since Wong and Sandra had walked out before the first course.
Jum, Wong and Nibs all carried a plate with the second course on out and dished it up on to the small side plates that were located at each place setting. Sandra then re-ran the hot water and placed the plates for the main course into the water, and also checked on the main course that was sat in warmers on the cooker.
As Nibs passed Claire, she said, “This is excellent thanks.”
“No worries, only the best for our friends,” Nibs said.
When that course was finished all four headed back into the apartment after collecting the dirty plates and other dirty cutlery they took the lot into the apartment and as with the first course, they washed up the small side plates as they would be needed now with the main course. Sandra after drying them up headed out and replaced them as the side plate. Nibs then carried out the large plates and bowls for the main course, and the four placed the two woks and the large saucepans on the warmers.
The Hunters Marauders and Hammers all arrived back from eating in the canteen. Sandra said, “Hi.”
“Hi you lot,” said Clare. And the group headed to sit and chill after the afternoon in the range.
Nibs and Blackie who was sat on the table with her looked over at the Hunters and saw two new members, Nibs lent over and said. “I think the Hunters are now complete, with those two new members.”
“Therefore I think I shall gift them both when I have finished eating,” said Sandra.
“It may be an idea,” said Nibs.
After the main course was finished like with the other courses the four had cleared away the dirties. Wong and Sandra appeared and placed the pudding bowls down and the disappeared back into the apartment.
Soon all four appeared carrying a Traditional Jarrzarian Pudding which was dished out to all and then when the four had sat down Nibs stood and said, “May we as friends always be there to support and help our friends here in the conspiracy and the outside world.”
“Here here,” replied everyone.
When Nibs had sat back down everyone started the first of the puddings. When that was finished, Nibs and Sandra disappeared back into the apartment and then brought out two large bowls with a fruit salad in and place both down and Sandra said, “As I am stuffed, both me and Nibs thought, take some if you want some.”
After fifteen more minutes of dinner Duggie, Ithian and Bill said, “We’ll wash and clean up, thank you Nibs, Sandra, Jum, and Wong for an excellent dinner.”
Everyone else chorused, “Thank you.”
To which all four smiled thank you. And everyone got up and left Duggie, Ithian and Bill to clean up. Duggie walked into his apartment and found most of the washing up had been done previously and during the cooking and also the dishing up of dinner.
Nibs and Sandra along with Daraus and both the fairies walked over to where Clare and Sym were sat listening to Charlie reading and Bobby was lightly sanding down the wood sculpture he had been working on for the last few days.
Sandra knelt down beside Bobby and looked at the sculpture and said, “That is incredibly detailed, and it is absolutely beautiful, who is if of?” Sandra asked.
Bobby held it up and Sandra saw the likeness between Charlie and the sculpture.
Sandra then said, “I’ve not seen you around before have I?”
“No,” replied Bobby, “I’m Bobby and this is Charlie we only joined a few days ago, I think it was members from the raid on Narizzan Inc that saw me and Charlie running across the roof tops.”
“It was you two was it,” Sandra said, “Then allow me to gift you then.”
“This ain’t going to run out is it,” Bobby said.
“No, this gifting is permanent,” said Sandra, and placed her hand on Bobby’s shoulder and said, “A gift from me to you Bobby, the gift of True Sight.”
For the second time Bobby could see the companions again. Sandra then went and sat beside Charlie and placed her hand on his shoulder and said the same.
Charlie lifted his head and saw the companions again and said, “Thank you,” and went back to reading.
When Charlie had finished, Sym clapped and Clare said, “Well done, that mustn’t have been easy, especially with so many people listening.”
Sandra then said, “When did you start to learn how to read?”
“A couple of days ago,” Charlie said.
“That is impressive,” responded Sandra.

* * * * * *

Abbey had stood up and took Nibs aside as both her and Sandra had walked over and said, “I’m I right in saying that you want to be informed of things concerning Timothy and his group?”
“Yes you are,” Nibs replied, “What have you got to report?”
“A possible breach of Gangrel Standing orders, the abandonment of nearly all the units under him in the South East, to name two of the activities the Hunters are looking into, plus the area itself is rife with unlisted Gangs, and one especially warrants special attention,” Abbey said.
“This don’t sound too good,” Nibs said.
“No, the gang has from firsthand reports Vampires within the ranks, more than likely controlling the gang itself,” Abbey said.
“You guys going to need any help dealing with them,” Nibs said.
“No, Paul, Duggie are going to train us on our field trip and Kev is going to train the Marauders and Hammers,” Abbey said, “but a bit of interesting news, it looks like the Vixens are getting a rep on the street.”
“Oh, what are they saying?” Nibs asked.
“It concerns a New gang which is led by two females one vicious the other level headed, and one is called the Black Fairy,” Abbey said.
“Does Sarah know this,” Nibs said as Claire and Trixxie walked past, Nibs said, “Don’t get to busy Claire, we have still to get ready.”
“Ok Nibs,” Claire responded.
“Yes she does, we told her yesterday,” Abbey said.
“It’s a long way to the bottom Timothy,” Nibs said.
Sandra slipped her arm into Nibs’ and gave her a kiss on the cheek and said, “We need to think about getting ready hun.”
“True we do,” Nibs said, “Chat to you tomorrow before the Gathering.”
“When you planning on getting there, around lunch time to mid afternoon,” Nibs said.
“We’ll see you at command then,” Abbey said as Nibs and Sandra turned towards the Club.

Notes:

Readers, Please Remember to Leave a Comment

Want to comment but don't want to open an account?
Anyone can log in as Guest Reader -- password topshelf to leave a comment.


The Supporting website is here

up
19 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos