I Don't Like Wednesdays

Printer-friendly version
I don't like Wednesday's

 

The (Mis)Adventures of Britannia

 

by Tychonaut Jemima

 


 
 

I'm pretty sure today must be a Wednesday. I say this because I've never really got on with Wednesdays.

Relationship break-up's? Always seem to happen on a Wednesday.

Evenings that my mother calls to tell me she's not getting any younger and she'd really like to see some grandkids? Wednesday evenings.

Mornings when I spill juice down my blouse when getting ready to go to work - yup, you guessed it - Wednesday mornings.

And right here, right now - the day that I encounter the lamest supervillain in existence? Yay me, Wednesday.

For information, I'm not the guy in the yellow chicken suit calling himself the 'Rooster of Doom'. That dude clearly has mental health issues that are going to need some serious professional help. Nope, I'm the tall chick in the patriotic red, white and blue who looks like a cross between a Spartan extra from the movie '300' and Geraldine Estelle Halliwell during her Spice Girls days. And I'm currently trying to stop the 'Rooster of Doom' (and yes, that's how he identified himself) from knocking over a logistics lorry for a well known supermarket chain. The first police officers on scene advised me that the 'Rooster' monologued that his intention was to raise his 'Poultry Posse of Power' from the free range eggs on board. I seriously kid you not. My life has been reduced to the 'and finally' section of the ITV News at Ten. It'll be between me and a duck from Melton Mowbray performing a 'McTwist' on a skateboard tonight. At this point, I'm really hoping they go with the duck or I'll never live this down in the 'cape and cowl' community.

Anyway, 'Chicken Boy' here leapt 20 metres in distance clearing a 3 metre high fence to land on top of the logistics lorry so the police of course called for caped back-up. And sadly, I was closest. Who am I? I'm a super heroine. Well, according to my birth certificate I'd technically be more a superhero than super heroine. It's complex. Anyway, I go by 'Britannia' when I'm dressed like this. I'm actually the fifth Britannia. Great-Great-Grandmother was the first back during World War I. She couldn't vote and had to wear a whale boned corset as part of her costume, but she could drop kick an agent of the Kaiser from Leeds to Leipzig. Now that is 'girl power'.

Dear 'double-g' grandma had died long before I was born but she is still fondly remembered today for when she famously went stylish toe-to-jackboot with a German 'superheld' called 'Rot Ká¶nig' on the lawns of Buckingham Palace in 1917. By all accounts it was epic. They even made a film about it staring Elsa Lanchester in the early 1930's. 'Double-g' grandma saved the entire royal family. I'm about to save free range eggs. I pray to God they don't make a film of this.

So, with a graceful hop (if I do say so myself) I clear the fence and start walking towards the open trailer on the lorry. I could have flown but having already given the tabloids a lovely shot of my panties during my fight with some armed robbers last week, I'm a teeny bit more self-conscious about how I look from the back.

Anyway, as I approach 'Chicken Boy' I can clearly see he is wearing an ill fitting fancy dress chicken costume, though truthfully I think the butterball shape might be more him than the costume. And he appears to be talking to a box of a dozen free range eggs. Okay, I am sooooooo definitely not drawing my sword or unslinging my union flag emblazoned shield from my back. The name of the game here is to be non-threatening and just talk him into coming with me. This guy definitely needs help not a pounding. As I take a few steps up the loading ramp for the lorry I gently clear my throat to try to get his attention.

"...now my sisters and brothers we shall rise and take back this planet from the ape. Together we gallus gallus domesticus can.."

I detest villains monologues. They are generally based around getting even on society for something that happened to them back at school. Y'know the thing - 'I had to destroy Paris because Robyn Brown wouldn't go out with me in high school.'

"Hi!"

That was soooooooooo lame. I've been doing this for six months now and I still haven't mastered the grand entrance speech.

"Err....hi?"

"So, Chic- *ahem* I mean Rooster. Would you care to explain what you are doing? With the nice multi-national company's produce and all."

"PRODUCE?!? This is nothing more than a slave ship! Thousands of my brothers and sisters travelling to their death in state sanctioned murder! I am the right claw of the great rooster god!"

Yeah, it turns out super villains do really talk like that. It really surprised me during my first week on the job. That and the need for them to strike poses.

"This enslavement of my brothers will end! The time has come for mankind to relinquish its hold on the planet and make way for a new species! And I have been chosen as the prophet of the great rooster god! Through his gifts I have the power to free my kind and... are you smirking at me?"

"No, of course not!"

Err...like yes!! It's not like he'd know anyway, the Britannia costume comes with a Greek style helmet with a full face plate sculpted from double-g grandma's beautiful face.

"Err... I think you are. Your face is definitely smirking."

"Look it's a face plate sculpted from mithril steel. It doesn't chan.."

Oh shi..oot!! It does change.

At Monday's meeting of the 'Round Table' - and yes I know that is like the lamest name EVER for an English Superhero team - I got hammered on vodka and orange during the meeting. Piece of free advice, superhero team meetings sound exciting but are basically the equivalent of that first day back in junior school when you had to tell the class what you did during the summer holidays. You know most of your teammates are embellishing on the truth or are fully paid up members of the anorak brigade spouting on about every minute technical detail of the killer cyborg they fought ('and everyone knows that for proper heat sinks he should have used aircraft grade aluminium'...*yawn*). So, 'Amazon' and myself had a drinking game going on. Every time someone said to beat the villain they had to 'reverse the polarity of the neutron flow' I drank and whenever they said "-name- hadn't counted on my superior -name-" she drank. Luckily, they call on the heroes alphabetically because by the time we got to 'Union Jack' we were both drunk and giggling like teenagers. Turns out there had been a bleeding edge technology fair at the O2 that week and the techno villains came out of the woodwork. Later on, I ended up doing some tequila shots with our resident magician, 'Merlin'. He bet me he could link the expression on my helmet to my mood. I'd forgotten all about it but it seems that he could. And did.

"Okay...okay. Let's be grown-up's and forget about the whole 'smirking thing'," my hands made nice little quotation marks in the air at this point, "and why don't you and me take a walk over to the nice policemen over there and we can straighten this whole thing out. I'm sure whatever your demands are, the Prime Minister will be more than happy to listen to them."

For all I know in the current political climate votes for chickens might even have been part of the Queen's Speech for the Coalitions legislative agenda...

I reached out with my left hand to him, indicating he should join me and gave him my best smile, hoping the face plate would reflect it. And then next thing I know, *BAM!*, I'm lying several metres away on my back. He must be some sort of speedster because I swear he never moved. More immediately, I must have hit my head because otherwise... because otherwise the chicken standing on my tummy would be real. I'm as in favour of a 'bogof' deal as the next super heroine, but selling chickens in a supermarket? It seems a bit retro to me, buy one chicken and get lots of eggs free over the next five years? Just how bad is the current economic situation if we're reverting back to an episode of the Good Life?!?

"Nice chicken....shoo!" To underline the point I sort of wave my hand at the chicken in a 'go away' gesture. I'm a dashing, sophisticated urbanite, what the heck do I know about proper animal husbandry? In response it just crows. So I guess that makes it a boy chicken...rooster...what-ev-er. My top trumps superhero card rates me at '45' for strength, which for comparative purposes (I'm told, it's not like I'm vain enough to have checked, honest!) is less than the admittedly fictional Superman's at '50' but more than the equally fictional Wonder Woman's '41'. So I think I can handle a rooster...cockerel... boy chicken... whatever the heck it's called. But of course, it couldn't be that simple. It's Wednesday.

I grab the chicken, gently enough not to harm it though because there is no way I'm getting on the wrong side of the RSPCA over one chicken. I'll take crazed super villain's any day over that! No one cares if you beat the crap out of a supervillain. Unfortunately, the chicken is squirming around in my hands and manages to face me and defiantly crows at me again, giving me an excellent view of its dentistry.

"Err...my what big teeth you have grandma."

I'm pretty sure chickens don't come with a set of teeth. Particularly not teeth that wouldn't be out of place on a great white shark. And then the little fu... feathery fiend...bites me.

"OW!"

OW! Y'know I kind of felt that! It wasn't much more than the pain of pricking my thumb with a needle but I'm supposed to be damn near invulnerable. The only thing I'm vulnerable to is magic and certain metals...so unless those teeth are iron that means... that Chicken Boy is a magic user. Of course he would be. It's Wednesday.

Scrambling to my feet (which I would still like to think I did gracefully) and holding the killer chicken in one hand, I'm tempted to see if I can match double-g grandma's record and send the little thing on a grand European vacation starting in Leipzig. Which of course I don't follow through on in any way! I'm a good girl, miss! Anyway, a maniacal shout from the back of the lorry distracts my attention from the killer chicken.

"So, my arch nemesis Britannia, you futilely come back for more!"

Arch nemesis?! Dream on, butterball! I'm holding out for a supervillain like Doctor Dastardly or anyone in the League of Death. Or another national symbol hero/villain. You on the other hand are so going to be plucked, Chicken Boy.

"Okay Rooster, this is your last chance to come peacefully. Put the egg box down and step away from the vehicle."

"I salute your bravery, ma chérie! But you are too late!"

I watch as with a wave of his now glowing hand the eggs in the box split to reveal rapidly growing chickens. Chickens with rather sharp teeth now that I can see them. Not particularly big chickens mind you. Normal size really.

"Even the legendary Britannia is helpless before my Poultry Posse of Power! Attack my brothers and sisters! Overthrow the symbols of our oppressors! Show this flag clad bimbo what the might of your Dromaeosauridae ancestors can achieve! BWAH-HA-HA-HA!!!"

"Dromaeosauridae? Wait! I know this one, I was really into dinosaurs as a child... err... Dromaeo... is runner? And sauridae is lizard! It's a running lizard! It's a running lizard....oh...."

Still, I can handle a dozen magical chicken shaped Velociraptors...right? I mean, double-g grandma defeated Imperial Germany's best and single-g grandma and grandma took on the Third Reich's superheld. Even my mother took on the Cold War's finest. I'm not losing to chickens.

"Bring on your dozen killer chickens, butterball!!" I shouted with a bit more bravado than I felt.

"A dozen? My dear girl, you arrived a bit late for a dozen! Say hello to the first 3,000 soldiers in the war between homo sapien and homo gallus!!"

I have to admit that it was quite impressive in a way as the chickens flooded from the back of the lorry at that moment. Sort of like that scene in one of the Jurassic Park movies where the Velociraptors jump out of the grass claws first. Except this was a an explosion of much smaller angry squawking, claws, teeth and feathers.

All heading for little ol' me.

**********

I didn't bother jumping the fence this time. Frankly, I wasn't in the mood for it. I just slammed the fence gates with my hand shattering the chains and lock so it swung open. Behind me I was dragging the unconscious form of chicken boy by a foam claw. Mysteriously, as the press would later report, there wasn't a feather left on his costume. I on the other hand was covered in an assortment of brown, red, grey, yellow and white feathers. And my uniform was a mess. You try fighting 3,000 scratching, pecking, biting fiends and come out of it with your clothes intact.

Luckily, my helm, shield, vambraces, and greaves were all made of mithril and therefore without a mark. I definitely needed to speak to my mother and find out if there was any way to get the rest of my clothing magically protected. Not least because I had to make my own uniforms. It's not like Next stock superhero costumes after all! And it would seriously compromise my secret identity to have them made for me given the quantity I need. Consequently, a lot had changed in my life in the last six months since assuming the mantle of Britannia. Back then, I couldn't sew and had no idea what a chiton or a himation was. Now I was a culture snob and wouldn't be seen dead in a Doric chiton. Not the average life of a 23 year old is it?

Approaching the waiting police vehicles I was pleased to see Detective Sergeant James Anderson amongst the throng of emergency services personnel. DS Anderson was on secondment to the Serious Organised Crime Agency (Superhuman Crime Division) and mostly covered my geographical area of activities. I'm sure he had many merit worthy professional features (fast track candidate, outstanding field record, blah-blah-blah) but frankly all I cared about was that he was 'hot'. And that's hot spelt 'H-A-W-T' for information. Dark haired, tall, chisel jawed he had a sort of young George Clooney thing going on. And he was born on 29 September which made him a Libran. And little ol' me just happened to be an Aquarian. A perfect match made in the stars. I'd jump his bones in an instant if it wasn't for one not so teeny problem. But as I said, its complicated. Still, I might not be able to make the purchase right now, but I could still window shop.

As always, he was immaculately suited and booted. He was probably the sort of guy that his girlfriends (please, please God, let him be single!) complained about how long he spent in the bathroom before they went out. Not that I would complain if he was in a state of undress in my bathroom.

Unfortunately, as I came to a halt in front of him I remembered the state I was in. My union flag emblazoned Ionic styled chiton was badly ripped and my blue himation was pretty much reduced to tattered scraps of material. The red edging to both garments was barely visible other than in my cloth girdle wrapped around the chiton at my waist. And I smelt of angry chicken and blood. Damn it! I'm about to meet up again with Deliciously Scrumptious Anderson and even I don't want to stand anywhere near myself. If he ends up with that bitch Unicorn because of this, I'm soooooooooo going to beat the crap out of chicken boy on visiting days at his prison. Remember, play it cool and get a witty opening line in to make yourself look like more than another big boobed airhead heroine.

"Err... Hi"

Did I just say 'hi'?!?! Again?!? Arrrrrrrrgggghh!!! I really do suck at first lines. There must be some form of night school class on heroic entrances I can attend.

"Hey! I don't recall sending out for chicken, but it was sweet of you to bring some by."

Oh...he's funny. Well, I find him funny.

"Well, I hope you'll share it with your friends?" I gestured to a team of waiting police officers ready to take 'chicken boy' from me and eager to start running the usual array of tests performed on a new superhuman. I think the smile on my face is so big and fixed right now that it's probably broken the face shield on my helmet.

"So 'Tania, anything we need to worry about with the Rooster here?"

We have pet names for each other! I bet Unicorn doesn't have that! He calls me 'Tania', which is y'know short for Britannia and I call him (in nowhere other than my dreams) 'Deliciously Scrumptious Anderson'. It's a special relationship. One that shouldn't be spoilt by reality.

"Tania?"

And wow, he is sooooooooooooo dreamy. He has the most amazing brown eyes with little flecks of green. I could get lost in those eyes. And his soft kissable lips. I could kiss those forever!!

"Hello? Earth to Britannia?"

And he's tall!! I'm just under six foot, so I've always maintained I'd never date a guy shorter than me. Of course, our kids would be tall too. Mmmmmmm... Oh wait, he's talking to me. Err...

"Err... he's a magic user, some enhanced physical abilities and needs to be kept away from chicken and egg products. Also I'd be really grateful if you could avoid using the words 'magical chickens' in the press briefing. Raptors sounds much better."

"I'll try and thanks for the heads up on the magic aspect. Are you okay? You're uniform really seems to have taken a pounding."

He cares for my welfare! And I think he's sneaking a peak at my cleavage too! Result! Hmmm... I wonder if he'd be prepared to kiss my injuries better before they heal?

"Err..Tania? Could you explain why your helm's face plate is making kissey faces at me?"

I am going to kill Merlin next time I meet him.

"Oh! I err...think, that is guess, that maybe in the fight it like took some damage? But don't worry...uh, everything is under control."

"So, it's not because you want to kiss me then?" he asked with a broad confident smile.

OMG! Say yes!! Say yes!! Or even better, just kiss him!!! Wait, how do I kiss him through the face plate?!? Should I raise my helm to kiss him? Did I put any make-up on this morning? Sh..oot, I think I can taste feathers. I can't kiss him with feathers in my mouth!! Should I say something? Ask him for mouth wash or something?

"What? Yes! No! I mean, not that I wouldn't if you wanted to... but obviously y'know, professional relationships and... you weren't...feathers... I mean...wow, is it hot out here? I think I hear a distress call! I've err.. got to go!"

This is just perfect. I bet Unicorn would have kissed him. Heck, she'd probably be naked right now yelling 'take me big boy'.

And that was it. I was up and airborne in a couple of seconds. At least he waved as I departed. Of all the days for him to ask if I wanted to kiss him it had to be a Wednesday.

**********

"Yes, mother. I know that grandma wouldn't have handled it that way. Or you. Hey now, that's not fair mother. They were magical chickens!"

It was late evening, nearly bed time in fact. I'd just enjoyed a nice hot shower before curling up in a robe in front of the TV in my flat to watch the News at Ten. Unfortunately, my mother called and wanted to do the play-by-play of my performance before moving onto more traditional subjects of torture. And grandma had been on conference call earlier to offer her pearls of wisdom.

I'd also had the joy - I use the term very loosely - of attending a meeting of the 'Round Table' this evening to discuss next week's impending alien invasion of Manchester and I was tired and on a short fuse after having to explain about Chicken Boy. Typically, Unicorn had to bring back a trophy from her encounter earlier during the day from when she saved a bus load of nuns and orphans from Doctor Dastardly. On the bright side, at least Merlin promised to try and work out how to reverse the incantation on my helm's face plate. Unfortunately, he was as drunk as I was when he did it and can't remember the exact incantation used. He estimates it'll take him six weeks to work out what he did and reverse it. Fan-tas-tic.

"Yes mother, I have spoken to Doc Silver. He's meeting me next week."

Ahhh... We've moved onto more traditional forms of torture now.

The thing is, I'm a knock out from the neck down. I have a figure that would make a glamour model feel plain. All Britannia's are it seems. The problem is, I only changed my name to Abigail eighteen months ago - before that it was Jack. Ever since 'double-g' grandma, each Britannia's first child was a girl. A girl who at the age of 18 would manifest the powers of Britannia. Unfortunately for mother, her first child (that's me btw) was born physically a boy. Everyone (apart from dad) was a bit put out by this. Suddenly, it looked like there would be no more Britannia's to carry forward the family business. My mother had two more children after me, my sister Jayne and my brother Thomas. Jayne was trained from an early age to be the next Britannia until as a teenager she started developing Dad's powers. You may have heard of her, she's the speedster known as 'Black Arrow'. Anyway, the problem is Britannia's aren't speedsters, so mother was back to square one - no heir for the family business.

"No mother, I'm not speaking to Doctor Voodoo. I don't care if the Carib League speak highly of him!!"

During this time, I'd started to manifest behaviour that was quite definitely female but my mother had always put this down to jealousy on my part at the attention being lavished on my sister (and I was totally jealous over the way she could do no wrong as the next Britannia) and sent me to a series of really dull psychologists who kept saying it was okay to be a guy. I finally came out to my parents at 20 years of age and announced my intention to transition. Not that anyone other than dad really cared. I had shown no power manifestation at all by that stage and even my brother had started to develop father's powers. Then one morning six months after taking the girl pills *zowie!* my Britannia powers start to manifest - Strength, Invulnerability, Flight, Enhanced reflexes and senses, and Accelerated healing. Mother nearly had a stroke when I showed her my powers. Six months after that, my body started to change at an accelerated rate like everything the hormones was doing to my body was super augmented. Hence the knock out body.

"Momma..... please don't call Doctor Voodoo for me.... Yes, I know you had to phone the dentist for me until I was 18... but... no... momma, it's not the same... one good reason, try that HE'S CREEPY!!!"

What the hormones and my powers couldn't do however, was change my skeleton significantly. My face looks like a slightly more masculine version of 'double-g' grandma. I don't look male or anything but I'm just attractive female rather than superhumanly stunning. And it couldn't change *ahem* 'down there'. Easy you say, have SRS to solve it. Did I mention I'm freaking invulnerable and have accelerated healing powers? I tried with a surgeon using tools made from the right metals. It healed and grew back. Which leads to my regular conversations with my mother about doctors in the superhero world. Remember, I'm vulnerable to magic as well as certain metals. And mother wants another generation of Britannia's from me sooner rather than later, so she's trying to find a doctor of magic who can make those changes to me. It's not that I object to her aims. I want kids. Preferably, Deliciously Scrumptious Anderson's. It's just that she just will not stop going on about it to the point that at night, I can hear the biological clock I don't have yet, ticking!

"Mother, is dad there? Could you put him on the phone? Yes, momma... I know this conversation isn't over."

Turning my attention back to the TV, I notice that the female presenter, Julie something, has reached the 'and finally tonight' section on the News at Ten.

Please, please God... skateboarding ducks, skateboarding ducks....

"And finally tonight, respected fifth generation super heroine Britannia falls fowl of a supervillain with a difference. We now go to our superhuman correspondent, Jemima Hanson for further details. Jemima..."

*sigh*

"Hi Dad...yes, I am crying a little.. Why? Well you see, it's a Wednesday..."

END

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

First story

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

My first story. This was published yesterday at Stardust first and any new stories in the universe will be posted there a couple of weeks before coming here to BC. Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

(And apologies for any formatting problems, I've never posted anything in html with all the tags before!)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

This is hilarious

I hope that you intended it to be. A fun first effort; well done.

I'm past child-bearing age or I'd ask you to send Deliciously Scrumptious Anderson over here when you've finished with him.

What the heck; send him anyway.

Susie

I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I hope you aren't disrespecting the 'Poultry Posse of Power' there by suggesting it might feature in a frivolous tale.

Thanks for your comments Susan. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I was quite nervous about writing a humourous story.

And keep your hands off Deliciously Scrumptious Anderson! What are you, Unicorn or something? ;-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I wonder if the morning

When Abigail started manifesting powers was (you know it!) Wednesday.

And what do you think if she meets... Wednesday Addams!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Days of the Week

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Having googled the name 'Wednesday' I was surprised to see so few girls with it! I'd have thought it would have been more popular.

In the stories to follow the intention is to have Wednesday as a consistent day for everything negative in Abigail's past. When I was trying to decide which day of the week to pick on I checked Wikipedia and found that John Steinbeck's novel 'Sweet Thursday' mentions 'Lousy Wednesday'. So unofficially, really good things will happen to Abigail on Thursday's and really bad things on Wednesday's for the purpose of future stories. Also Solomon Grundy was 'married on a Wednesday' which has potential, though creating a Solomon Grundy unlike DC's version could be a challenge.

And Wednesday Addam's would kick Britannia's little union flag panties back home so, no contest!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Keeping in line with the Lousy Days theme

I present to you an all-time classic of the Soviet Cinema: Brilliantovaya ruka - Ostrov Nevezenia (The Diamond Arm - The Island of Misfortune)

The Lyrics, as translated in one of helpful comments by shinystarlet:

All covered in green, completely green...
There is an island of bad luck in the ocean
...
There do live unfortunate savage people
Scary on the outside but good inside...
...
No matter what they do, everything goes wrong
It seems as if they were given birth on a Monday
...
Crocodile fishing fails and coconut does not grow
They cry and they pray, not saving their tears
...
Actually, they are no bad workers, they could have a good life
Could they but just abolish those Mondays!
...
Sadly enough, they don`t have a calendar on the island
The young and the old ones just suffer for nothing...
...
Therefore every night till the break of dawn
The unfortunate savage people cry on and on...
...
Therefore the poor ones sob and curse their misfortune
On an unknown day, in an unknown year

Faraway

P.S. Your Solomon Grundy analogy still stands with this one - he was born on a Monday! :)


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Soviet Kewl

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Soviet era musicals was not something I had ever thought about until today! The tune is actually quite catchy and the lyrics have potential. Arrghhh! Can't stop humming it...



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

That was not a musical

Had only two songs in it... Another one is actually much much better... It's about hares mowing "tran(s?)-grass" :-) Yep! To become stronger and more courageous! To fight off wolves and owls, and be braver than lions...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk6Z8hyyfeQ
(actually, one of the best soviet era movies. strange in some places (as someone would ever want to smuggle precious stones into USSR, first or second producer of the precious stones in the world) But still, very good... "Champaighn in the mornings. Only aristocrats or degenerates are having it." "I'm not guilty! He's came by himself!!!"
Whell... sorry for digressing, it's actually best soviet movie...
And, BTW, Russian lyrics for both songs are much better than any of the translations (but I have my own grudge on translators in general ;-) (even if I'm translating))
(hope that song about tran(s)-grass will give you inspiration to continue writing.)

Intriguing comments!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

If you'd told me before today I'd have listened to two songs from Russian films I'd never have believed you! I've only ever watched two Soviet movies (Battleship Potemkin and Solaris) so this was a huge culture shock. But still kinda fun!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Marvelous! Welcome to BCTS

Hi, Tycho, I really liked your superchicken story, so welcome you aboard as a BCTS author. Unless of course you are really Laika lurking inside another persona, in which case I'll just leave it at 'hi' (grin). . . .

'I don't like Wednesdays' flaunts a marvelous sense of humor plus an imaginative TS angle. Can we expect more Britannia episodes, preferably stand-alones like this one? Hugs, Daphne

Daphne

A good chicken joke it seems goes far!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

I think Abigail would prefer it to be known as a 'superchick' story. Though the superchickens do seem surprisingly popular!

And thanks for the welcome! To quote Chesney Hawkes 'I am the one and only', so no other personas here. Well, other than the voices in my head driving me to write this story but that's my own problem. ;-)

Thank you for the kind words about the story and there will be more episodes of my attempt to repatriate the superhero genre back to the UK! And the intention is for them to be self-contained within an overall direction of travel, so each story will stand on its own merits.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Ack! Now I'll have to start posting again

BTW LOVED the obvious homage to the late Douglas Adams, though his Aurthur Dent had problems with Thursdays.

>>
I'm pretty sure today must be a Wednesday. I say this because I've never really got on with Wednesdays.
>>>

May 25 was Towel Day afterall.

Thopugt I got hints of Doctor Who as well. Very wacky stuff.

As to me, First that actress model, was it Ms Romanji? , does the dancing in socks Tom Cruise spoof from Risky Business and now a super hero called Union Jack? Two of my best gag ideas stollen before I posted them!

-- snicker --

Very impressive start. And I wish your heroine well. Um, in getting powers like dad poor pampered sis isn't going *the other way* in this whole strange sex change deal? Mind yu a speedster babe in a body suit like the Flash would be smoking hot.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Hope Britania the IV gets her sex sorted out soon so she can win the heart and other more fun parts of Deliciously Scrumptious Anderson. a guy can only wait so long and I hear Ms Unicorn has a great ass.

PLEASE DON'T HIT ME !

John in Wauwatosa

To be diagnosed with...

voices in your head does not mean that these voices do not make perfect sense :-)
Hope that voices will continue story of superhero(ine).

Each story to stand on it's own merits

Don't you mean 'Lurch' on it's own merits?

Anyway, your choice of Thursday for good(ish) things to happen is appropriate. Tanya Allan started the ball rolling with 'Gruesome Tuesday' and 'Wierd Wednesday' so you're in good company.

Susie

Thanks John & Susie

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Hi John and Susie,

I like the idea of lurching on it's own merits!

And Yes, the first line was deliberately based on the HHGTTG line "It must be Thursday. I never could get the hang of Thursdays." I've always enjoyed the works of Douglas Adams and was hoping to get a sort of HHGTTG feel in places. I had actually written this story as it was blocking my muse for a more sensible (TG) fantasy story I was trying to write. I'd written 12,000 words of that and Britannia kept blocking my mind.

Having re-read the story several times today I've still got some things to do to improve in my writing, but I feel very encouraged by everyones comments - so thank you!

And John, you better not be picking a fight with Abigail on a Thursday...



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Love it!

Oh man, this was like an unexpected dose of Whately! Hilarious and well written.

I'm right there with everybody else, I'd love to see more of Bratannia!

Sean_face_0_0.jpg

Abby

Battery.jpg

Please don't Pullet

I found this story was hilarious!

Rule Britannia!

She can rule my world, whoo hoo!


Happy to know you. Belle

Thank You

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Thanks Theide, MsChristine and Belle for your comments! They are greatly appreciated. And I must be doing something right for the 'hillarious' comments, so thanks! And 'pullet' (d'oh!) shame on you girl! :p

I was waiting for a 'Rule Britannia' comment! There will indeed come a time when Britannia will rule, but at the moment I see her as more of a trainee heroine. ;-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Hehehehe!

All Hail Britannia!!!

I've been itching to put this one here!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Hail Britannia!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Okay, is it bad that part of me likes that? Probably! Still 'All Hail Britannia'!

Now, I wonder how I'd go about getting the national anthem changed to that! ;-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Gallant!

Gallant work of the Gallus gallus miniraptori and their crowing puppet-master.

Fun superheroine romp. Delectable sarcasm. Very enjoyable.

I suddenly want to sink my teeth into some chicken for lunch today...

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Sarcasm Fried Chicken?

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Thanks Pippa! You're not the first to have chicken cravings! I should have thought about arranging with a local purveyor of chicken products for advertising space in my signature box! D'oh!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

A really funny, engaging, and well written story

That was a really funny, engaging, and well written story. I'm not usually a "superhero" fan, but I'll keep my eye out for your future postings.
And I'll avoid those raptor eggs in the supermarket!

Kris

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

Hopefully it appeals beyond just superhero fans

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Hey, I'm glad you took a chance and liked it!

It was written as an affectionate dig at superhero tales (I was a big spiderman fan as a teenager) with the intention of not being just for fans of the genre. I updated the keywords this afternoon to try and reflect that a bit better. And thanks for saying you'll keep an eye out for future postings. Don't expect anything too soon though as I want to digest what worked / didn't in the story before launching into another.

But like they say at the end of Bond movies... Britannia will be back!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I Don't Like Wednesdays

Maybe she was born on a Wednesday. Remember that Wednesday's child is full of woe.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

or Thursday's child has far to go!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

See, this is the trouble with writing a short story with only vague ideas of how to continue it in the future. It didn't come with much of a character background. Wednesday or Thursday seem the best fits for her day of birth based on the nursery rhyme. So there is a good chance you will be right!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I think Britannia is quite a

I think Britannia is quite a gal and I do hope we see more of her adventures. As I recall, the UK had a group of superheros back in the late 40's and into the 50's in various comic books. Perhaps they could be brought back and work in concert with the current superheros from the 'Marvel Universe' and 'DC Universe' with their permission of course. Jan

Thank you!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Thank you Andrea and Janice for your kind comments! There will indeed be more in future. She's still got to face off with Unicorn in her little love triangle with Deliciously Scrumptious Anderson for a start.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Now where did I put...

Zoe Taylor's picture

Now where did I put my Champions Online login information...

*grin* Kidding aside, that was a fantastic read. Anything more I could say has already been covered more elequently, but I'll just say this has been an interesting take on the Superhero genre, and I look forward to seeing more of Britannia's (mis)adventures :-D

Now let's just hope the fowl fiend's flock doesn't fly the coop!
(*hides* Sorry!)

~* Queen of Sweetness *~

Become a Patron for early access ♥

Thanks Zoe! I will confess

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Thanks Zoe! I will confess that half of my thirtysomething years ago, I was a Champions RPG player and a fan of Justice League International during it's comedy days. Both probably shine through the story in places.

And I love the (mis)adventures line, so I hope you don't mind but I've *ahem* appropriated it in the teaser heading.

'Fly the coup'... *groan*... Everyone's a comic now... ;-)

(And he was so much hammy fun to write, don't count out a return bout in the future!)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

a total hoot

very funny. more, please

DogSig.png

Thanks!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Thanks! And this has scarily turned into a bit of a runaway hit. There will be more, and in between trying to write my sensible tg fantasy story the beginnings of the next Britannia story have already began to form to the degree I've got an opening scene on paper. I'm guessing what will happen is once the mood takes hold it should flow relatively quickly.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

SWEET!!

Loved the story. Very well written. would love too read what he / she through as her power come 2 be, as well the changes.
Do keep up the great works!
sweet Dreams

Thanks!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

My first 'sweet!' comment! Yay me! Thanks for the kind words and encouragement! I won't rule out some form of flashback but for the next story we will likely be going full steam forwards into continuing (mis)adventures!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I just read this

and this was so very much one of the most funniest stories I've read in awhile. This could also be submitted to Crystal Hall in my opinion. It's funny and I'm sure of the Whatley fans getting a kick out of it.

Bailey Summers

Thanks Bailey!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Wow. Thanks! That was very kind of you to say so Bailey. And I'm glad you found my story amusing!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Very fun!

And, you know, it would figure that another great superhero story would come out RIGHT AFTER I started work on writing one of my own:P

Seriously, though, an excellent story. Chickens? Wif big sharp pointy TEEF!

For me, the trouble day has historically been either Tuesdays or Thursdays, so I guess that averages out to Wednesdays?

Melanie E.

Thanks!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

In which case I probably shouldn't mention I've started a fantasy TG story as well just in case you are writing one of those too... ;-)

Thanks Melanie for the kind words, it means a lot from an author whose work I have long admired.

And in regards to 'Chickens? Wif big sharp pointy TEEF' you aren't far from how Britannia would probably sound in reality with a more middle class version of Estuary English!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

:)

Made me smile, thanks for writing..

:-D

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

No problem. And thanks for commenting Yor!

In fact, thanks to everyone for their comments. It's been really appreciated, particularly as this is my first story.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Fun Story

...with several laugh-out-loud moments. (As most of the comments said already.) Took me a second reading to more fully appreciate this.

Eric

Thanks!

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Thanks Eric! I'm glad that I made you laugh!



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

I loved it!

I loved it!

Wow! I was expecting this to

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Wow! I was expecting this to have passed it's comment lifespan! Thanks Freya! It's pleasing to see that people are still finding and enjoying this story.

I'm glad you loved it and take heart there is a sequel in the works provisionally entitled 'Some Days Are Better Than Others'.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Brilliant! ^_^

Extravagance's picture

Random Solos PLUCKED this one out for me. =)
I'm now wondering, does Deliciously Scrumptious Anderson have a lot of COCK? :D

Catfolk Pride.PNG

*groan* I think that was the

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

*groan* I think that was the one chicken related gag we missed in the comments.

Glad you liked it though. :-)

 


"Just once I want my life to be like an 80's movie, preferably one with a really awesome musical number for no apparent reason. But no, no, John Hughes did not direct my life."



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

It's Sunday

Podracer's picture

So I don't have to face a Wednesday just yet. Here's hoping it turns out a bit better than young Britannia's.
I found this story by some convoluted and forgotten internet route, how happy am I that I did. Literally happy, it brightened a wet wintry afternoon. I read the sequel first and had to find the first page after doing that.
The generational thing isn't going to solve itself any time soon is it? Still, there's always next week.

"Reach for the sun."