Life lived twice

Printer-friendly version

 

Life Lived Twice
By Kerry Brown
Originally posted 2010-05-17 22:39:33

How many times have we heard some one say “If I only had my life over it would be different” but if we could force our lives to be ‘reset’ without losing any of the memories we had, how would we handle it and what changes would we select before pressing the button.

Most people have made comment about when and where they were born, school subjects, career, when they got married and who they married, but what about gender, build, hair colour, disposition? Lets assume that science has evolved so much that it is all possible, would you press the button and what settings would you make, what is the optimal configuration for the best life, and why would blonde be better than brunette. Why would being 5’6” be better than 6’2” or hazel eyes better than blue, surely the family and who is working or how much the family earns could make more difference.

As he finished the selections from the lists he paused and thought for the last time, the next decision was final and life as he knew it would cease for about nine months. Would he be happier as a blue eyed blonde girl living in a family of only one child to professional parents and expectations of a comfortable life. He had read all of the technical journals or white pages and seen the test results, it was now up to his choices, a planned life of luxury and all the things he had longed for. He pressed the final button committing the programme and starting the shutdown of his own life, his eyes closed and breathing stopped as the drugs flowed into his brain and induced the state of semi-death without a real death, his mind had simply stalled and the soul was waiting for the eternal light to come. The light never came, it was like watching a very long movie where the ambient lights came on so slowly over nine months. Firstly the pumping of blood through the body then movement as limbs grew and feet could be pushed into the wall of the womb, turning and moving as the time ticked on. Things got tight then one day everything seemed to change she was upside down and had dropped lower, her heart beat was getting louder and it was obviously a time of change. The pain increased and then movement as every muscle seemed to be pushing her towards the light, was this the end of life or the start of her new life.

She was being held by a woman that was obviously glad to see her daughter at last, the doctor stood nearby and made comments about scores and weights but she had no idea what it all meant as the nipple was pushed into her mouth. Sleep, feed, more sleep and more feed so it went on for many days until she started to understand her name and who the people were that seemed very excited every time she smiled or giggled. Nappies gave way to pants then a dress and then it was her first day at school, the years had gone so quickly and Susan had learnt that she could get away with murder if she only looked at her dad with puppy dog eyes and wrapped her arms around his neck. Primary school flew by as she learnt about maths and English, writing stories and poetry being her flair, sports only made a small impact but she had good control and a talent for being creative. High school was only a few days away when something happened in Susan’s mind, an image flashed into her mind that seemed too real to be a dream. She was sitting at a console pressing buttons but in the mirror she could only see the face of an old man, grey hair and wrinkles with a frown on his face that showed a depth of despair. Just as quickly the image was gone but not the memory of the image, it stayed away for nearly a month but came back in the middle of a dream, the same face and the hollow eyes that seemed to be saying so much.

Through high school the image never seemed to leave her but slowly Susan understood what was happening, it was like building a jigsaw puzzle from scratch without seeing the original picture, piece by piece it went together. She started to write it down in her private journal, the face the feelings she had about the man, the things she saw as if seeing a life in reverse. The image got younger and younger until he was around her age and at the end of high school. Then one day Susan sat down to read the story in the correct order, the young boy had such a confusing life his mind was being battered by doubts and thoughts that he didn’t understand. Susan saw a life that was so open and full of hope, he had dreams and family around him but those thoughts kept getting at him. As Susan followed the life she saw the changes, his family being formed and growing up, his life being lived to the full. She stopped reading and had to wait for the pain to go down, it was as if it was real for her, how could a story make so much impact on her, a dream that had haunted her for nearly five years.

It was nearly another month before she could get back to the story, her exams had finished and she had time to think about her future. She had grown into a very attractive young woman, nearly five foot six and as some had said her legs seemed to go on forever. Susan loved her blonde hair and her body had gone through puberty and high school without any of the things her friends had experienced, pimples, extra fat on her hips or bum. She had done enough sport to stay trim but nothing more than a game of tennis every week, her friends had complained how she could eat the horse and never gain the weight. “It’s just my chemistry” she would say and hoped it would never change. Her parents had been great, as doctors they had provided the best schooling for their only child, she was never spoilt but knew that she had a privileged life compared to others and tried hard to keep balanced. School was over and university lay ahead, she had chosen a creative uni and her parents had supported her choice of subjects, her future was her choice. The next three months would help form her future more than she could ever understand, the face in the dreams was part of her life and as she sat there reading the rest of the story she again felt the pain and doubts in this reflected life.

This time the pain hit her and caused her to crumple up in a ball, her parents were both at work and it would be at least six hours before they returned. She lay there trying to think, the image pushed into her mind and held her attention, it seemed to be looking at her and crying out for her to listen. Susan tried to shut it away but it came back, “I need to talk with you” he said to her, she squeezed her eyes shut but the face remained in her mind’s eye. “I need to talk with you” he said again, Susan struggled but could only see the face of the young boy with tears in his eyes. “How can we talk when you are just a dream” she found her self saying, “just like this” he said waiting for her response. “I don’t understand, you are just my imagination” she said only half convinced of it’s truth, “sorry but I don’t know how to convince you but I am far more than just an imagination” he said. “It’s been a long time showing you all about my life” he said, “what do you mean, your life, how can a dream have a life” Susan asked. “I don’t know what you remember about your early years, have you thought about why you are the only child?’ he asked her. Susan had been told that her parents had trouble conceiving and her mum was IVF assisted to get pregnant, the project had been funded through a local university that employed her dad on a research grant.

The image faded and Susan got up and walked into the kitchen for a drink, “I don’t have to be visible to talk with you” he said making Susan jump. “What, I was trying to stop thinking about you” Susan said trying hard to think of something else. “Look, my name is Bill and I need you to understand some things” Bill told her, “you are still in my head unless you can show me otherwise” Susan said, thinking that would stop the discussion. “Okay, have you heard of project PhoenixIV?” asked Bill, “not that I can remember, what is it all about” questioned Susan suddenly interested in what was happening. “Google it and then come and ask me about it before you read anything” suggested Jill. Susan sat down at her laptop and keyed in ‘Project PhoenixIV’ into her search engine, only two entries came up and both referred to an IVF cloning project started some twenty years ago and finished after only ten years. “Bill, what does it mean?” asked Susan starting to read more of the intro, “check out the location and names associated with the project, anything familiar” said Bill. Susan scanned the files and came across the names of the project team, her father was down the list. “What was the main goal for the project?” asked Susan, “to clone a person and give them the perfect life they have chosen from a list of options” replied Bill. Susan read more until she came across the project brief, ‘to allow a cloned person a second chance at life as they would want it’ she stopped unsure about the next question.

Bill started to say something but Susan stopped him, she was trying to put it together in her head and every way she looked at it the conclusion was stupid. “Are you saying that you designed my life with your own life?” asked Susan, Bill had over 18 years to think of this response “in a way, yes, but only the basics” he said. Over the next hour Bill told her how his life contained so many questions and doubts, fears and concerns, Phoenix was a way of testing his thought that life could have been better. Susan had real trouble getting over the fact that her life was constructed by someone who had planned it and like a straw boat had launched it into the sea to see what would happen. She went through many questions in her head, Bill heard them all but just waited patiently for her to address him directly. “Bill, does this mean that you made me do things while I was growing up?” she asked him thinking the worst, “no, I have had no control since I finished the initial program” he replied. “Let me explain that, I only selected the life that I wanted us to have but it was only the starting point you, however, give it an identity.”

up
189 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Life lived twice

This is a most unusual story. It can be expanded upon to answer question about both and why she is linked to him.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Curious

A very odd story. . . It feels unfinished to me, but that may just be my persistent demand for a resolution.

How do Susan and Bill deal with each other? Does Bill fade away? Does Bill take over Susan's life? Or does Bill continue to haunt Susan? Does Susan end up in therapy for multiple personality disorder? So many questions, none of 'em answered!

But other than that it's a pretty good tale.

Creeeeepy

I was wondering how you were going to side-step the "identity death" conundrum (how can one experience what one is not there to experience?), but I was never expecting this. This ends up reading more than a bit like a horror story. Imagine the crisis of identity this poor girl would have!

Still, it's a valuable writing exercise, and perhaps a warning to watch what we wish for. Unintended consequences, and all that!

Thanks for the peek into your musings.

I don't remember clearly

But about 20% of our lives are decided by the genetics, and 80% by our upbringing. And even with selecting a home situation, without actually giving a complete scenario to the parents Bill could have attributed only to no more than 50% of Susan's life overall.

And, with those 'ended after ten years' phrase, it is shown that Susan's life was largerly her own...

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

I guess I could say without

I guess I could say without fear of contradiction, that this is indeed a very different type of story. It does beg for more information being presented to Susan as to how Bill did, can, and may, interfer or interact with her during her life. Jan

Now That Was Different

I was attracted to your story because it was the only one listed in the Quickcuts as not being a serial. Congratulations on presenting a novel story that defies conventional structure.

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

Angela Rasch (Jill M I)

So far, the comments have

So far, the comments have described this item as a story, but it is not one, not really: it is just an idea, an exploring of a "what if"...

The changes introduced for this individual's "second chance" would have had to have been complete for the experiment to have been any use at all - if the first life could communicate with the second like was described, then the experiment's design would be faulty. Information carried over would affect the second life's enjoyment of, fulfillment of, and decisions made about, the second life.

Crudely put, this is a neat intellectual exercise but like with a computer, GIGO applies, so that a perfect life cannot be enjoyed unless all the garbage from the first one, with all its doubts and dissatisfactions, is completely excluded.

Which is why the notion of reincarnation is just a faulty one.

Still, as a piece of intellectual exploring play, the game was a good one. Very unusual, very intriguing.

Briar

Briar

>> Reincarnation...

Puddintane's picture

is one view of the notion that we are something more than meat, that our thoughts and feelings are more than electro-chemical reactions within the gloppy puddings that are our brains.

I dare say the vast majority of human beings alive imagine that there is at least an "incarnation," a point in time at which something called a soul, or the atman, or the ka, or whatever, inhabits the physical body and animates it. Whether this happens once, or several times is a matter of indifference, because it's certain that this spirit stuff retains no relic of any prior existence, and in principle cannot, because all that memory stuff is inside our brains.

There's no essential difference between saying, "When I die, another being will be born, and will possess an eternal soul," or the way most of the world looks at it, "When I die, another being will be born, and my eternal soul will inhabit another physical being, but my soul will have no memory of any former life."

At the very least, reïncarnation is frugal, since it doesn't leave souls laying about cluttering up eternity, but rather recycles them as needed. It seems more interesting as well, because these redundant souls have things to do in their retirement.

Several mainstream religions are founded on the basis of reïncarnation, whatever they might call it, although some discount its importance. Hiduism, Jainism, and Buddhism all share the same general principles, including reïncarnation, and the Mormons have a minor variation of it. Standard Christianity has a modified version of reïncarnation in the notion of some sort of resurrection of the dead at the end of days, and it's implicit in every form of afterlife that involves getting up and walking around after one has fallen, and really can't get up.

The primary division between the world's religions is whether one floats around or walks around after death, and the distinction between religion and the lack thereof whether one does anything at all.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Punishment?

Isn't reincarnation in Buddhism a form of punishment, so to speak? You have to keep going back to earth until you live your life in a just and righteous way. Only when you finally get it right do you get to be NOT reincarnated. I think Hinduism is similar, except you get to be different creatures until you mature properly into a cow or something.

Please excuse my ignorance. I've only got tiny snippets remaining of stuff I've read at one time or another, and no assurance that what I've read was correct in the first place. But, I gather that one's goal/reward in some religions for a life well-lived is eternal rest/nothingness.

No

Puddintane's picture

It's just a natural consequence of existence.

Their viewpoint is not unlike mainstream Christianity, which holds that the world is filled with suffering, and that ultimate reality lies somewhere else. The main difference is that one has second chances in which one can ameliorate, or even eliminate, one's own suffering, and help to alleviate the suffering of others. Through virtuous acts, one accumulates merit, a "star on one's crown," as it were. Through evil acts, one accumulates negative energy, and this "hardens one's heart," as it were. The technical term is karma, but this is merely another word for "action." Every action has consequences, that's all. In most of the Dharma religions, that's all they are, actions and consequences. If one does good things, it's good for one. If one does bad things, it's bad for one.

Serial reality makes little difference as to what makes a decent human being, so the "golden rule" is more or less universal across every human religion. Where it does matter is that there are no "eternal" consequences, so it's easier to accept the fact that natural disasters, premature death, wars, and the evil that besets every being, have limits. Since suffering is the natural state, which no one escapes either completely or forever, these tragedies are simply part of life, and the duty of every living being is to alleviate as much suffering as possible, but there is no way to escape it.

We all of us will eventually sicken and die, suffer the loss of loved ones, and experience the entirety of life, not just the "good parts." That's why the first Buddha, Siddhartha, is portrayed as a Prince, whose every whim is catered to, who has been sheltered from every possible discomfort, so when he is finally confronted with reality, it shocks him.

Non-serial religions always have to confront these problems as well, but there are no such easy answers, so the usual escape clause is either predestination or some sort of "do-over" or "mulligan" in which one is presented a second chance.

Thus, the "Harrowing of Hell," Purgatory, and the life, all of which amount to a limited sort of reïncarnation, during which the second chance is offered, assuming one wasn't a perfect putz while alive, and of course Original Sin, which manages to ensure that everyone is a bad'un, so if they go to Hell, it's nothing more than they deserve, since the widespread injustice of life is hard to credit to any sane arrangement without recourse to imponderables of one sort or another.

In Mormon eschatology, essentially everyone goes to Heaven, although there are several levels of Heaven, but the lowest level is described as so good, that if you knew how good it was, you'd kill yourself to get there.

In Zoroastrianism, and several similar religions, good and evil in this life are reflections of a sort of cosmic war, in which Good God and Bad God blaze away at each other like Gangsters in Speakeasy Chicago and the rest of us are merely bystanders, casualties of war, or not.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

This represents the superficial syncretion of many traditions...

Puddintane's picture

...carefully avoiding specifics, like many politicians. There is much left unsaid.

There are many traditions within Buddhism, and many believe in literal transmigration, which a careful reading of the referenced site reveals is not precluded by the words, but hard to see. These sorts of traditions include Tibetan Buddhism, which is why they send monks out looking for the reïncarnation of a previous Dalai Lama when the old one dies. Interestingly, the Dalai Lama is also regarded, within Tibetan Buddhism, as the principal reïncarnation of AvalokiteÅ›vara, the Compassionate Buddha, who incarnates variously as male or female Buddhas, including most famously Guan Yin (Kwan Yin -- Kannon), the Goddess of Mercy, about whom much has been written, and who some believe is an incarnation of the Virgin Mary. (I just love this stuff... It's all connected in strange and interesting ways) Quan Yin may also be a Goddess, descended directly from Heaven. It all depends.

The argument also obscures another central point, typical of many schools within Buddhism, which is that reïncarnation doesn't really matter, because the consciousness dissolves into the universal flow of energy and matter, and may contribute to the forming of a new "aggregation" of that flow, becoming another consciousness, whether human or not.

Since one's spiritual development has an influence on the karmic state around one, being a good person, or a good dog, may influence the new aggregation that evolves after one's own dissolution. So reïncarnation, life itself, is something like a forest fire, each living tree catching sparks from the fires around it, and setting others ablaze in turn.

This is hard to argue with, since anyone who's spent any time in any classroom has seen it happening, right before their eyes.

Cheers,

Puddin'

-

Cheers,

Puddin'

A tender heart is an asset to an editor: it helps us be ruthless in a tactful way.
--- The Chicago Manual of Style

Porky Oig and the Yatzer Hara

RAMI

Maybe like a little Yatzer Tov vs Yatzer Hara or in a Porky Pig cartoon the Angel on the Right shoulder and the Devil in the left fighting to get Porky to do what each wants him to do.

RAMI

Story Lived Twice?

Just wondering what this is doing here on the front page with yesterday's date on it, since it has comments from 2010 attached. It was a bit startling to finish what was being presented as a new story and find that the first comment is by Stanman, who died a couple of years ago.

"On further review", as they say at sporting events here, I see the "originally posted" date in small print in the front box (though not in the story itself), and the anomalous information (14 comments, 6000 reads) in the summary. Sorry if this note upset anyone.

Eric