Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 978.

Printer-friendly version
The Daily Dormouse.
(aka Bike)
Part 978
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

When morning deigned to show up, it was in a better state than I was–I was tired–not to put too fine a point on it. I dragged myself from my bed leaving Miss Sweet-Sixteen still asleep. Then it was get the chores organised, kids to school and sort out Livvie’s birthday.

As if life was agreeing with my choice of present for her, her watch strap broke as she was doing it up before going to school. I managed to repair it with some sticky tape, but it was only a temporary job–which didn’t worry me. She was probably old enough now to have something better than the Care Bears.

I got them to school, then came back and dug Julie out of my bed and sent her off to shower, especially if she was coming shopping with me. Stella suggested that Julie babysat for her and she would come shopping with me. I left Stella and Julie to discuss the level of bribe required.

Maureen came, measured up some things and disappeared; presumably to get whatever it was that was required. I reminded Julie that her primary responsibility was Puddin’ while we were out, not chatting to Maureen. She assured me she would do her duty, I left a note for Maureen asking her to make sure Julie did.

Then after making sure there was something for lunch–some curry in the freezer which they’d only have to defrost and warm in the microwave, and boil some rice–hardly good enough to win a basic badge in the girl guides, we left.

Talking of which, it seems we have a local branch of the Guides and Brownies not too far away, however, I’m not at all sure what their attitude to transgendered children would be, so I’ve pooh-poohed any suggestions for any of the girls to join. If they persist I might have to tell them why, which I’m sure they’d understand–the girls, that is. The Girl Guides, I’m not so sure about.

As we were two ladies who lunch, Stella and I dressed up just a trifle–okay we left off the mink and the Gucci dresses and wore jeans and jacket. Stella’s was red leather mine an embroidered denim. Underneath I wore a long sleeved tee shirt top and a scarf. It is only April after all, and despite the sunshine, still cool enough to raise goose-pimples.

I got the watch in the second jewellers we visited, it was thirty pounds–as I’d decided, good enough to make an impression, but not enough to worry about if it gets broken or stolen.

Stella bought her a silver bangle which was diamond cut and shone beautifully in the sunshine. We bought the trainers I thought she’d like, and a new bag for school. I also bought a hair care set, with Alice bands and brushes and combs which I thought Tom would like to give her.

I’d texted Simon to remind him and he replied he’d buy her something himself, so I told him what we’d got.

Over lunch, a rather nice tuna jacket for me and a small pasta dish for Stella, we decided if we were going to have a party, it would have to be on the weekend, and maybe I’d ask Si to see if the hotel would be available for half a dozen screaming kids, plus our own half a dozen. I sent him a text to make the enquiry.

While we were in Knight & Lee, which is actually part of the John Lewis partnership, my mobile beeped. Simon said the hotel was happy to see us, could I contact them to give them details. Even with my left wing leanings, it comes in handy being part of a family who own a hotel complex.

I mentioned this to Stella who suggested we called round to the hotel as we were already in Southsea, so that’s what we did.

We wandered into reception and were recognised immediately. “Lady Cameron,” said the receptionist and nodded to both of us.

“Good afternoon, my husband contacted you to enquire about use of your facilities for a children’s party–use of the swimming pool and gym, that sort of thing, plus some sort of snack meal.”

“Of course, Lady Cameron, I’ll ask our events coordinator to come and speak with you.”

“Events?” I queried.

“Yes, any sort of booking is regarded as an event, whether it’s something as simple as a birthday party or dinner, or a wedding reception with all the trimmings.”

“Okay, I was thinking formal situations, but I suppose a birthday is an event for a five year old.”

“I thought she was coming up six?” Stella corrected.

“Yes, she will.” I answered and Stella nodded.

“Five or six, a birthday party is such a social occasion, isn’t it?” offered the receptionist.

“It was in my day.”

“Well you’re so old nowadays, aren’t you, Cathy?” Stella mocked, “An old married woman.”

It would have been so easy for me to retaliate by suggesting she was both older and unmarried, but I bit my tongue. She had enough problems being a single mum, which was another slight I could have tossed at her.

The Events Coordinator turned out to be a very attractive blonde, who was nearly six feet tall and towered over both of us. She wore the unofficial uniform of lower/ middle management of a suit and blouse, which fitted her quite nicely. In fact I felt almost scruffy to this well turned out woman, who was probably about my own age.

We got down to the nitty-gritty straight away after minimal formalities. What date, time and how many attending? Which facilities? Did we want them to do goody-bags: how many boys/girls attending and age group, and finally how much did we want to spend on each bag. Then, did we want toys or sweeties, vouchers that sort of stuff?

Did we want music and some space for dancing–“Girls like to dance after their teas,” we were assured. I hoped they weren’t so full of pop that they were all sick.

The food menu was discussed, sandwiches, sausage rolls, jelly and ice cream, a birthday cake–all this was considered plus countless other things. We opted for the Saturday afternoon and early evening, with a party organiser/entertainer to amuse the children, and for them to do the food and the goody-bags–I was to confirm numbers, ages and sexes of the children.

Could she take a deposit? Stella’s eyes widened.

“Do you realise who we are?”

“Lady Cameron, is I presume the person organising the party, I’m sorry, I don’t know who you are, madam.”

“This is my sister in law, Lady Stella Cameron,” I introduced Stella. I began to blush, Stella was going to make an issue out of this.

“I’m sorry, I don’t see the significance,” our coordinated coordinator began to look slightly uncoordinated.

“How long have you worked here?” asked Stella.

“A couple of months, I suppose.”

“Do you know who owns this place?”

“It’s part of the High St group, why?”

“Do you know who owns them?” Stella asked.

“Not off-hand, it’s a bank isn’t it?”

“Yes, and...”

“Stella’s family own the High St Group,” I interjected.

“Oh, I see,” she blushed profusely. “I’m sorry, I didn’t know.”

“Don’t worry,” I tried to smooth over the wrinkles. “I’m happy to pay a deposit,” I said, and Stella snorted.

In the end, she decided she would speak with the manager and she’d get back to me. So I left without having spent any money there at all.

Stella moaned about it all the way home, and how she was going to get her shot at dawn. I told her to stop being such a fantasist and we called by the school to collect our three waifs and strays.

I asked Livvie if she’d like a party and she practically leapt out of the car with excitement. She had apparently never had a proper party before, when she learned it was to be at the hotel, she was so excited she was nearly sick. What I wanted was numbers of the kids she wanted to come–she could have up to six school chums. It turned into nearly twenty–she invited the whole class. So for her nerve, I made her write out every invitation herself or with Trish’s help. I printed them off from the computer and she wrote names on them and addressed the envelopes.

Oh boy–what hard work this raising children is.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
164 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

More kind and gentle reality

persephone's picture

Angharad,

You write the gentle nuance of real life so beautifully.

Thank you

Persephone

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

Daily Dormouse (part 81½ dozen)

I don't know how you manage to keep coming up with expressions which are so true to life Angharad.

I couldn't help chuckling over:
I left Stella and Julie to discuss the level of bribe required.

Then I thought, isn't it so typical that teenagers expect us to do things for them, but when the boot's on the other foot, they won't consider doing it for love?

Prerequisite Subornation


Bike Archive

No clowns

All the vids I've seen on TV suggest that clowns frighten young children. Sadly, the circles I traveled in at that age didn't include any parents who could afford such extravagances. :-(

Management really should have properly briefed the Event Coordinator about who these two were, as it is she has really stuck her foot into it with Stella. I'm counting on Cathy's innate sense of decency to keep the hammer from falling on this clueless young woman.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Clowns

Just after WW2—it was probably 1946/47—I was taken, as a great TREAT, to the circus. I enjoyed the first item o n th programme, horses with acrobatic riders. Then the clowns appeared and I disappeared under the seat and nothing would induce me to come out until the whole show was all finished. I had lived through nights in the airshelter with German bombers dropping bombs on us and I just slept in the air-raid shelter. But clowns? No way José.

Great episode, Angie.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

It's what you're used to.

War was the normal state of things for us, Gabi. We knew nothing different so we weren't frightened. Though we didn't need to spend nights in air raid shelters black out curtains and rationing was the norm.

However circus and clowns were extraordinary, new and somehow frightening. My 'treat' was being taken by my father to see the film 'Great Expectations'. When I saw the cobweb covered wedding breakfast and Miss Haversham in her wedding dress, I screamed the place down so much that Dad had to take me out. I suppose I would have been about 6 but I still remember it. I suppose he felt it was a cultural event I should experience and it was his duty, as a single parent, to take me.

Robi

The Daily Dormouse.-977

Cathy reminds me of Driedre from Maggie Finson's latest story[ Maiden By Decree]. Both Driedre and Cathy are well known for their quirks and both were born with male plumbing and married into royalty.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

And quickly became

forces not to be underestimated.

I hope ...

Stella isn't going to pull the old 'Do you know who I am?' ploy or she might get the answer 'No, but matron will be here shortly and she'll be able to tell you.'

Not sure about the Guides cookery badge but the one for Scouts 50 years ago was quite simple and didn't involve a microwave oven because people hadn't realise how good radar transmissions were for cooking. We had to make a camp fire lit with a maximum of 2 matches then cook dampers and twists. IIRC they were both made from water and flour. The dampers were cooked on a stone near the fire and the twists were wound round a stick and toasted. They tasted awful. I gave up the Scouts after the scout master took 'Scouting for Boys' rather too literally - fortunately I wasn't involved.

Now I wonder if the height of the events co-ordinator will have any significance in later episodes? Ang seems to have made quite a point of it.

Robi

Guess things changed....

or are different on this side of the pond. The scouting "Cooking" merit badge I earned required planning means for a week, including identifying all needed groceries/supplies for a group of eight people. The meals had to be balanced, and not repetitive. They also had to be cookable over an open fire.

THEN, we actually had to prepare and serve three of those meals (Breakfast, lunch and dinner)... It wasn't too hard, except mom had never taken any time to teach me any cooking. What I learned - came from camping with the scouts. *sighs*

I still recall two of the things I served. One was simple eggs & bacon with grilled toast (didn't have to bake the bread. I never did manage to get bread to bake in a "dutch oven"). The other was what we called "hobo dinners"... Basically a stew cooked in a bag of aluminum foil - rather than in a pot.

Ann

I think Persephone hit the

I think Persephone hit the nail on the head for this episode. There's no particular incident in it, just a family that cares about each other getting on with life (ok 99.999999999% of us can't hijack hotels).
I had to comment after I noticed my cheeks aching from smiling all the way through.

Val

Never mind the coordinator...

...pity the entire hotel and staff, with 23x 5-6 year olds running wild over the place! It wouldn't surprise me if Henry suddenly discovers a hole in his schedule on Saturday afternoon - and he'd probably have just as much fun as those the party was intended for...

Let's just hope nothing goes wrong - it seems as though almost every time Cathy visits the hotel, the local plod turn up with an excuse to chat to her about something...

And if nothing personally goes wrong for Cathy, there's always the possibility of some party goers getting cuts and scrapes, which mysteriously clear up after a visit from the healing cherub. Hopefully a certain "Human Interest Correspondent" won't be allowed through the gates :)

Cynical, moi?! :)
 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

ya know....

A simple uneventful, fun birthday party would be compeltely satisfying to me. Please hire a life guard for the pool!

A good story.

I like the gentle way you write on everyday life and yet slip in an edge of the maybe in there for us to speculate on. Your stories are just like my daily cuppa my dear, soothing and lovingly required.

Bailey Summers

Just you wait...

Cathy. If you think 5 or 6 year olds are tough. Wait until you have more then one teenage girl in the house! She's got a 16 year old now, but only recently living as a girl. When they're in their tweens (not quite teen) and early teens... Watch out if the wind's blowing the wrong way!

THAT is quite convenient - owning a hotel or other such venue - for the having of parties! The class will have a blast.

Thanks,
Ann

Yep, everyday life with a clan who

thinks nothing of being able to whip up a party for a 6 year old at a hotel for 23 screaming rugrats.

^_^

If it wasn't for the fact, Cathy is so down to earth and lovable and thoroughly deserving of such a luxury, most people would just roll their eyes and just say 'and they think they have problems'.

Livvie's social score is about to climb through the roof!

Kim

Love the comment about

Livvie's social score ... too bad the Brown-Cows aren't still around to take note of the party and decide that they have to out-do the Camerons.

Hmmmm, six feet tall? I

Hmmmm, six feet tall? I wonder if this woman might by chance know Maureen, as I get the impression she just maybe another TS/TG person that Cathy has run into unknowingly. The entire class of Livvie's going to attend the party eh, that should be a really, really interesting party to go to. Lots of LOUD noise, laughter, and fun for all. I just hope no-one falls into the swimming pool by accident, unless they are going to use it under strict supervision of lifeguards. Perhaps, there might be so other mothers at the party to help Cathy and Stella and even Julie, whom I am presuming will be there also as it is one of her little sister's who is having the birthday party. Jan

Now those are

the sort of children's parties i like, First of all its not in your own house....Big plus there.....Second you have plenty of things for children to do.....Even bigger plus there....Third you have someone else to sort things out for you and take all the flak when as is inevitable something goes wrong.... Really big plus there.....

Lovely to see Livvie's reaction, Six years old and her first party, Hopefully this will be the first of many for her....But just think Cathy now you have set a precedence, You only have five more to go, And one of them is a teenager....Good luck Cathy you will need it!

Kirri

Trying to adjust

littlerocksilver's picture

Just arrived in Nice after three planes and a two plus hour delay on the tarmac at JFK. Fired up the computer and read Bike. Feel better mentally. Physically, not so hot.

Portia

Portia

Kids eh!

Kids eh.
They make your life rich but keep you poor,
Into your world then 'out the door',
They always seem to want for more,
By none so much do we set store.

Still loving it.

OXOXOX

Love & Hugs,

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Wealth

Wealth is planning for 5-6 kids showing up at a party and having 20+ invited.

Wealth is having one of the local post hotels host the party, not McDonald's.

Wealth is buying a £30 wrist watch, and not considering it too expensive for a 6 year old.

Wealth is walking away from a really crazy party and not cleaning the mess.

It's good to be rich.