The Half Lilin: By The Light Of The Moon (Chapter 1)

Printer-friendly version

I wasn't prepared to hear Mr. Stuart's guffaw. "Please, call me John." 'Call me John'? What the fuck's got into him?

"OK, John. I'm sure Miss Willows will get me settled in," she said as she gave me a wink.

"Miss Willows!" he said as he guffawed again. I could see tears flow from his eyes. "She does have a point, Willows. Cut that hair," he said right before he fell backward along with his chair. Even while on the floor, he was still laughing. I've never seen him like this. Did he get super lucky on the slopes of Switzerland or something?

The Half-Lilin
By The Light Of The Moon

Chapter 1
by Shin Eris
Proofreading by Stanman

"Hey, babe!"

I almost dropped the hot cup of espresso I was holding as a pair of hands took hold of my waist from behind.

Steadying my hands, I said without looking back, "Chris! How many times do I have to tell you? When I'm like this, you do NOT touch me!" I punctuated it with an elbow up his ribcage.

"Ow," he said, "I didn't think you were serious. Come on, Pat, let's stop with all this bullshit and just be yourself. Just let go."

"I AM myself, you lousy piece of brain-dead bastard. Get your hands off me. NOW!"

"OK, fine. If that's the way you want to play it," he said as he released my waist and stepped back.

"That's better," I said, still holding my cup of espresso and not looking back, "Now you listen to me, when I'm like this, you treat me like you always treated me. When I'm in my other form, that's a different story."

I heard him open the fridge and rummage around for something in there.

I took a sip of the espresso and said without looking at him, "Do you get me?"

"Sure, I get you," he said, his voice sounded so close, before he proceeded to pour some water on my head.

"What the fuck?!!!" I said, putting the cup on the counter before wiping my hair with my hands and untying my ponytail.

Despite the transformation from female to male, my hair still remained blood-red and long. I tried to cut it, but apparently, my new hair was invulnerable. Who ever heard of an immortal hair? The only consolation was that at least it only reached a little way down my back now.

"Is this OJ?" I asked after a few drops entered my mouth.

"Make up your mind, will you? Do you want me to act lovey dovey or do you want me to be a jerk? Maybe this will help clear that cobweb between your ears," he said before again giving my head another pour of the OJ.

I turned around and shoved him away. "Stop it!" I said as I walked out of the lounge.

As I headed to the washroom, I wondered what exactly I ever saw in him last Christmas.

------

"Willows, come to my office now," was the IM that Mr. Stuart, my boss sent.

I wonder what that was about as I sent, "Coming."

I got up from my chair, then grabbed my 'misc' folder along with a pen. It's a habit of mine whenever I was summoned to Mr. Stuarts' office. I never went there empty handed, Sue said it was likely because I didn't want to appear idle in front of the boss, but really, I only brought the folder so that I'll have something to hold in my hands.

"Lynda, Mr. Stuart asked me to come. Can I see him now?" I said to his personal secretary. Lynda's workspace is a small room filled with cabinets all around and connects Mr. Stuart's entrance to the rest of the office. That doesn't mean Mr. Stuart's office is isolated though. He could still spy on us from his blinds.

"You must be here about the newbie. Just go in, he's waiting for you," she said right before she went back to doing some kind of spreadsheet.

What's this about a newbie though?

I knocked on the door to Mr. Stuart's room and pushed it open when I heard him say, "Come in."

Mr. Stuart is a somewhat elderly man, though not by much. He's only 45 years old, give or take, but already sporting a very obvious potbelly and half-bald. When I walked in, I saw that he was shuffling some blank papers and looking intently at another blank paper. In front of him, sat a gorgeous brunette who was sitting crosslegged. She looked very european, as in east european.

"Ah, Mr. Willows, please have a seat," he said giving me a glance and went back to looking at those papers before snapping his head up to give me another look. It wasn't a very comfortable feeling to be stared in such a way.

"Is there anything I can do for you, Mr. Stuart?" I asked, the very same words I often said whenever I was summoned to his office. Although he's a bit laid back in office affairs, he is extremely strict when it concerns formality. He never calls anyone in the office with their first names. I heard he was a West Point graduate and went for a military career for a few years before he was dishonorably discharged. Nobody dared to ask him if it was true though. The last one who tried asking him that, disappeared the week after. Nobody dared to ask Mr. Stuart if he killed and buried her in his backyard either.

"As a matter of fact, there is. This is Ms. Ariel Ivanova. She'll be joining our department following the resignation of Mr. Henry."

"George is quitting? I've never heard that." I asked. George Henry, or as we call him, 'Mr. Comedian' was a great guy. He always filled the office with laughter. But I have not heard of a single rumor that says he's going to quit.

"Well, now you know, Mr. Willows. Please tell your coworkers that the company will pay for anything you need for Mr. Henry's farewell party, but that is not what I ask you to come here for."

"Anything else then?" I said after giving the girl, Ariel Ivanova, a glance.

"I want you to show Ms. Ivanova the ropes. She's just out of CalTech and this is her first job."

"First real job, sir. I used to be a part-timer at Macy," she interjected with a giggle.

I wasn't prepared to hear Mr. Stuart's guffaw. "Please, call me John." 'Call me John'? What the fuck's got into him?

"OK, John. I'm sure Miss Willows will get me settled in," she said as she gave me a wink.

"Miss Willows!" he said as he guffawed again. I could see tears flow from his eyes. "She does have a point, Willows. Cut that hair," he said right before he fell backward along with his chair. Even while on the floor, he was still laughing. I've never seen him like this. Did he get super lucky on the slopes of Switzerland or something?

Just great. I really need to get rid of this hair. Why is it that people make such a big deal out of this? Steve in the mail room had longer hair, yet nobody called him a girl. Sure, my hairs much softer and more beautiful than his, but still... plenty of guys have long hair.

"Well, if that's all, I shall take my leave, Mr. Stuart," I said to an empty table, as Mr. Stuart was still rolling on the floor laughing his ass off.

The girl, (Ariel Ivanova) followed me as I left his office and closed the door behind her.

"Hi," she said, her voice was like a thousand flowers in a spring garden, "I'm Ariel Ivanova. You can call me Ariel." She extended her hand and gave me a smile.

I took her hand, and said, "Pleasure to meet you. I'm Patrick Willows, you can call me Rick. Is that Ariel as in, the little mermaid?" I laughed a little, to show her that it was just a joke.

"Hehe, my mother loved the cartoon. I suppose maybe that was the inspiration for my name. So, where are we going now?" she asked as she stepped out of Lynda's room.

I gave a wave to Lynda, who didn't seem to notice, before I left.

"First, we'll get you sorted up. I think there's an empty cubicle near mine. You can't take George's place as he's still using it. Are you going to be taking his job?" I asked as I walked to the empty cubicle I mentioned. I noticed that aside from a handbag, she didn't carry anything else.

"What job would that be?"

"Systems analyst," I said, wondering if she agreed to the job without having any idea what she was supposed to do.

"Oh yes, that's it. What does it do, though?" she said in a bimbo-ish tone.

I proceeded to tell her everything a systems analyst do the moment she sat on her chair. Thank goodness I didn't have to teach her everything from A to Z.

------

We were sitting at the cafe across the street from our building when I spotted Sue coming in. Behind her was Liz and Tammy, as always.

"Sue! Over here!" I waved at her.

Sue saw me and walked over. The moment she came eye to eye with Ariel though, she froze, causing Liz and Tammy to collide with her back.

"Oy! Don't stop so suddenly, will you?" said Liz, who had to pick up the handbag she dropped to the floor when she collided with Sue.

Sue mumbled a 'sorry' before taking a seat in front of us. Her eyes fixed on Ariel's. I looked at Ariel and saw that she also had her eyes fixed on Sue's, except that instead of Sue's shocked expression, Ariel had a bit of a snarl.

"You guys know each other?" I enquired, seeing how intent they were at trying to outstare each other.

"Umm, what?" she turned to look at me for a moment before saying, "No, I don't think we've met. Hi, I'm Susan Preston. You can call me Sue." She didn't offer her hand for a shake.

"Ariel Ivanova. Call me Ariel," she said, also not offering her hand for a shake.

"Ariel? As in the mermaid?" Liz enquired, probably trying to break the tension between Sue and Ariel. I could see however that she was licking her lips and looking at Ariel lustily, which annoyed me because she was dating my sister.

Suddenly the atmosphere changed as Ariel giggled and said, "You must be the hundredth person to say that. And what do I call you?"

"Oh, just call me Liz. Never call me Elizabeth, it sounds so... Shakespeare," she said as they shook hands.

"I'm Tammy, are you Patty's friend?" Tammy said as they also shook hands.

Ariel took a look at me and said, "Patty?" then she looked back to Tammy to say, "I don't know, he's like, my tour guide. I just joined the company."

"Oh, the IT department? With Patty?" Tammy asked again.

"Yes, My cubicle's just a few step's away from his," she said as she sipped on her tomato juice.

"Mmm, guess I should spend some time in IT from now on." Again with the lip-licking.

Sue interjected, "Careful, Liz. Her brother's here."

Liz looked at me in shock as if seeing me for the first time, "You're her brother? I thought you're her sister!" They all, including Ariel, broke into a great laugh at that remark. I imagined the other patrons of the cafe must've been wondering what was so funny.

I swear, the next person who makes fun of my hair will be stabbed in the face with a steak knife.

------

I was in the living room, trying to do some work with my laptop while listening to some Eminem when I heard the door chime, "Tell! Can you open the door, please?" I called to Tell who was in the kitchen baking some cookies.

Tell instead yelled back with, "Why don't you open it yourself? You're closer."

"I'm working," I yelled back.

"For Pete's sake, you're only a few feet away from the door. Get off your ass and open it yourself!" she yelled back as the door chimed again.

"I can't, I'll lose all my inspiration. Please? I'll buy you some Baskins-Robbins tomorrow."

Then from the corner of my eyes, I noticed her crossing the walkway to the front door, "I'm not a child anymore, dear brother, but you better not forget your promise!"

Then I heard some voices at the front door.

A short while later, Tell brought a dark-haired woman and a young boy of grade school years into the living room. Tell told me that the woman asked to see me. I got up and offered a hand to the woman which she shook. She obviously disapproved of my ponytail, judging from the way she was looking at it.

I asked them to take a seat as Tell went back to the kitchen to prepare some drinks. I told them to make themselves comfortable while I fix the mess I made during the hour-long working in the living room. I didn't realize how much junk food I've had since I sat down an hour earlier. No wonder the keyboard's all oily.

Tell came in bringing four glasses of juice just as I finished tidying up the living room.

"You're staying?" I asked Tell.

"Damned right I am, oops, forgive my french. She said she wants to talk to you about Vicky, it's been such a long time since I heard from her."

"Which Vicky?"

"Your classmate Vicky! You know, the one whose father... umm-umm... her mother."

"Oh!" I said, finally realizing who she was talking about. She was talking about Vicky Sanchez whose father went insane one day and ended up shooting her mother, before shooting himself with the same shotgun.

"How is Vicky?" I asked.

"Dead," she answered coldly.

"How?" I asked, a bit stunned, to have Vicky's friend coming over to tell me that she had died. Call me sentimental, but Vicky had always been special to me.

"Before I answer, can Victor sit here and watch cartoons? I think we can benefit from a little work in the kitchen."

"Uh, what?"

"Of course," Tell interjected, before pressing the number on the remote for Cartoon Network, "The kitchen's this way."

We left the boy, Victor, alone watching TV in the living room while we quietly made our way to the kitchen.

"Okay, something you can't say in front of the boy?" I enquired the moment we arrived in the kitchen.

"I suppose I should introduce myself first. I am Lauren Thornton, Vicky's cousin. My family took Vicky in after what happened with her mom and dad. That boy, Victor, is Vicky's son."

"Oh," I said, not knowing what else to say.

"Vicky didn't die. Or at least we have no proof that she died. That was a lie we told Victor to stop him from asking about her. All we know is that when Victor was about 3 days old, she simply disappeared. We had no idea what happened to her or why she ran away. My parents never wanted the child, you see. When Vicky was pregnant, they urged her to abort the fetus, but she refused. She said that it was the only thing left from her previous life and she wouldn't let anyone take it away from her."

She took a sip from the juice in her hand and took a seat as Tell offered her one of the kitchen stools. "Vicky loved the child so much, we couldn't understand why she would abandon him so. Before she left though, she left behind a letter, for my eyes only. I only found the letter last Christmas, when I was packing up." Then she broke into tears.

I quickly pulled a few sheets of tissues and handed it to her, to which she said thanks.

"You must understand. I love him like my own son, but I have to think of my own future too."

"OK, calm down. It's OK, take your time," Tell said as she grabbed a couple more sheets of tissue and handing it to her.

"I... I think it's better if you read it yourself," she said as she handed me a piece of yellowed paper.

At Tell's urging, I read it aloud:

To my dearest cousin and friend Lori,

Mere words can not explain how sorry I am to be writing this letter, but it seems that fate has been cruel to me. First my mom went insane, then my dad followed in her footsteps. And now, now I feel like I'm going insane as well. I have seen the days following my mom and dad's death, and I know all the symptoms. I can see the symptom of my mom's madness in me now. When she came to me after Victor's birth, I just knew that I can't stay here anymore, if I were to keep all of you safe.

I'm sorry to have to leave Victor in your hands, but I can't bring him with me. I'm afraid what will happen if I were to go insane like my mom. All these times, I never mentioned who the father was. I shall tell you now, because I'm afraid that after this, I will never be able to tell you again. The reason I kept it secret before, was because I didn't want anyone to cause him any trouble. Not even he knows about Victor, but I don't want the truth to be buried forever.

I shall tell you now, dear cousin, because I believe that both he and my son deserve to know each other one day. But please, don't tell him this until he's ready. And if you do tell him, please also tell him that it wasn't a mistake. I have loved him for a long time, and I never regretted even for a second what happened that night. When your mother called to tell me that your family will be taking care of me, I just had to do it. I felt that if I couldn't feel his love that night, I will never be able to love anyone again. So please, don't be too hard on him.

You can find him in my old neighborhood. His name is Patrick Willows and he was the nicest boy I have ever met. I named my son Victor Sanchez, but I'd like his name to be Victor Willows, if Patrick wouldn't mind.

Vicky.

When I read the name, it didn't exactly register in my head that it was me. The moment the realization hit me though, I just couldn't believe my own eyes, and I read and reread the sentence over and over again. Tell was open-mouthed and Lauren was still sobbing.

Somehow, I found my voice. "My son?" I asked to no one in particular.

"YOU SLEPT WITH VICKY?!!!" yelled my dear little sister, right into my left ear.


To Be Continued...

*As always, great thanks to Stanman for the proofreading and for helping with the coding.

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fantastic!

I had just finished reading the first series the other day so was pleasantly surprised to find this first installment!

Fantastic work as always, i'm eagerly awaiting to see what happens!

Thanks for your great story

Matt

Thanks

shiinaai's picture

It's always nice to hear from fans. Be assured that the story is currently being written and it won't be long before the next chapter can be posted. Thanks for your support.

Eris

Oh great!!

Another cliffhanger. Well it seems to be the norm. Sigh.

Not really anything new or informative in this chapter, other than that Shin Eris apparently found some new inspiration and wrote a sequel to the initial Half Lilin series. Yay for that. It was a nice, if sometimes chaotic, and entertaining story. Did I comment on that? If not, let it be known: I enjoyed Half Lilin ( part I ) very much, thank you.

So let us all rejoice and share in celebrating the continuation of Half Lilin. Hooray. And write more soon :)

Thanks,

Jo-Anne

Cliffhanger

shiinaai's picture

Yup, that's my way of saying, "You want to know the rest, read the next chapter." :D

At first glance, I couldn't tell whether you liked or hated the story, but I was glad that you liked it. But I suppose it doesn't matter, really. Any comments, good or bad is okay in my book.

Actually, it's hardly new inspiration. I've been musing over writing this story since the middle of the original The Half Lilin. I've been waiting so long to finally be able to write this one. I'm so glad I managed to finish the previous story. It's finally time to write the sequels I had planned. One more step towards freedom! :D

Thank you for your sweet comment and keep on supporting me.

Eris.

The Half Lilin: By The Light Of The Moon (Chapter 1)

I must admit that seeing more of this story is a treat. But now there is a mystery to solve: And it wil be fun to see how it is solved. The mystery is about the mother and her mother.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Mystery

shiinaai's picture

Yup, there's a mystery there. This particular sequel is meant to be a kind of conclusion to the issues in the previous story. It is also however, a chance for me to give a hint of what will happen in the other sequels.

Watch as the next chapters shed more light on the mystery of Vicky and her mother.

Eris

As a little brother

I'm going to show solidarity with the little sister by asking the same thing. Only not as loudly, hehe! :D
I really thought Pat was still a virgin for his male side... And not only because his prom date (IIRC) was totally smashed by Chris (along with his leg) before it even began.
Ariel and Sue - what got their panties in a bunch? I guess we'll see later.
Vicky and her parents... Three times is no longer coincidence. I suspect something must be with the house they lived in... And please remind me what was told about the mortal sorcerers?
And please remind me, how long is it till Uriel comes to fetch his bride?

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Virgin...

shiinaai's picture

... not! He did say that he has gotten laid a few times :P

Mortal sorcerers? Only that the moment they're tasted magic, their bodies will be mutated to crave it? Despite the fact that they can't convert energy to ether on their own and that all ether has been sucked into Sheol.

As for Uriel, the deal was for the turn of the season. It's only the 2nd of January 2007. :P

And if prolonged absence

Of magic is inflicted on them... Whoops? It may drive them insane.

I can see something like that being one of the ways to severely punish mortals - expose them to ether, once, then leave them to wallow in their misery.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

interesting start

Assuming he is Pat's son does he inherit the lillin *gift*?

What made the parents and the mom go insane and is the mom really insane or another lillin? Why is Pat male again and is Tell her old elf or still affected by that other lillin who made her desire women? Does Tell know mom was and Pat is lillin?

Questions questions and more questions. Those were only a few.

And when will Pat become female and/or lillin again? Can she break the seals on her lillin self? What of her lillin allies and enemies?

And what of Pat's mom in Taturus? Will she ever be reborn?

Nice work.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Start

shiinaai's picture

Since he is Pat's son, he is genetically an eligible lilim candidate. But that doesn't mean he is a lilim, as Lilith must personally visit the child shortly after his/her birth to claim them as her own. Then at puberty, they will become a full fledged lili.

Sorry, you'll just have to read the next chapters to find out if they really were insane. Pat is male again because... gosh, I can't say :D Tell is still like she always were, it's just that Shaina's artifact made her lose her inhibition against lesbianity. As for whether Tell know or not about Pat and her mother being lilim, that's a bit in the future.

Pat will become female and a lili again. It's just a matter of time :)

Thanks for supporting me.

Eris.

Cool

Very happy to see this continuing so soon.

The Little Mermaid!

terrynaut's picture

Ariel is one of my favorite names. I have a parrot plushie named Ariel. She's soooo cute. Ahem... sorry.

I suspect that Ariel is lilin or some sort of netherworld being, and I'm surprised that Patty can't sense it somehow. The reaction between Ariel and Sue was odd. It makes me wonder about Sue now.

I love the mystery added at the end of this chapter. I can't wait to see it all unwind.

I'm not sure I like Pat's insistence that she's in her proper form as a man, not after spending decades as Ilyse being tortured. She came back to Earth and forgot about being a man! C'mon. The gender issue is a bit hard to swallow, but other than that, I'm loving it.

Thanks very much for another chapter.

- Terry

Mermaid!

shiinaai's picture

Heheh, I like the name Ariel too. But not a name I would use for any of my children (if I have any in the future), it will just be a ticket to teasing.

The connection between Ariel and Sue will be explained in the coming chapters.

As for Pat's attitude, we all know he's got split personality problem :P

Thanks for reading.

Eris