The Duchess

Printer-friendly version

The Duchess

 
By Melissa Tawn
 
Is there any reason why England should not have a transsexual queen?


 
 

CHAPTER 1. THE DUCHESS IN HER CASTLE

The English peerage has, throughout the ages, more than its fair share of eccentrics (and not infrequently outright lunatics) but, should a compendium of these characters ever be compiled for the edification of the casual reader, there is no doubt that the Duchess of Bradford would insure her prominent mention. She was, after all, one of the richest of the peerage, her extensive holdings contained rich mineral deposits and her family fortune having been skillfully invested over the generations in banking, industry, and commerce. She also, though not of her own volition, became the center of immense public interest and controversy which rocked the throne of England as had nothing in the preceding centuries.

When Lady Holly Denise Binnion, the Duchess of Bradford, was born, she had been named Holden, for she was, at birth, a biologically male child - the only son of the sixth Duke of Bradford, retired General Miles Binnion, and his wife Anne. Though the young Holden knew deep inside that he was really meant to be a girl, he also was intelligent enough to know that there was no way he could explain this to his sickly mother and his domineering father. He was 14 when his mother, the duchess, passed away from one of her many lingering illnesses - not aided by the Yorkshire weather, which the duke maintained was “invigorating” or the lack of central heating in their home of Bradford Castle, which the duke decried as a sign of “modern decadence”.

After his mother’s death, young Holden found that he was able to indulge in dressing as a girl during the long and frequent periods when his father was away (usually in southern France in the company of one or more extremely young ladies). Fortunately for him, he had several female companions who thought it great fun to help him on his way to femininity so that, without his father knowing it, he soon lived the life of a very beautiful and vibrant teenage girl for considerable stretches of time. Of course, the local press and local constabulary soon knew about this, but they also knew better than to mention it, and certainly none would dare incur the legendary wrath of the Duke by telling him. On the several occasions when constables found Holden intoxicated in public places, usually dressed in a manner which would have shocked many a whore of the previous generation, he would be discreetly bundled back home and put to bed, with no official paperwork ever being filed (though stories about “the little lord Ho” did make the rounds of the pubs at which the constables and newsmen gathered after work).

The duke, himself, did not pass on to the next world until Holden was 30 years of age, and securely married to Lady Mary Dowling, the daughter of an Earl. Mary knew about Holden’s cross dressing and didn’t mind it, so long as it was done away from the public eye. In fact, she had a lot of fun buying frocks for him, and managed to alter his fashion taste from the provocative and trashy to the aristocratically elegant. At the time of the duke’s demise, she was in her 5th month of pregnancy and had bought an “empathy belly” for her husband, so that both of them could go through the process together. They were very much in love.

As both Mary and Holly - the name she picked for him - grew larger and larger, they planned the birth with care so as to share the experience as much as possible. However, the best-laid plans of mice and peers sometimes go astray. One day - roughly two weeks before her due date - Mary suddenly felt excruciating pains in her womb where, as it later turned out, a blood vessel had ruptured and severe peritonitis had set in. She was rushed to the hospital where doctors operated on her for the entire night and it was only in the morning that Holden was given the terrible news. The baby - a girl whom they had resolved to name Anne in memory of Holden’s mother - was healthy and well, but the mother’s life could not be saved.

Holden, of course, was in shock but, by the time the funeral services were over, he knew what he had to do. A wet nurse was hired to take care of the baby for the next six months, while Holden Binnion, the seventh Duke of Bradford, disappeared from view. At the end of that time, Lady Holly Denise Binnion came home, legally and physically a woman. (One should pause here to cogitate on the ability of the aristocrats - especially if they are extremely wealthy - to make clocks move so much faster. Psychiatric evaluations and medical opinions that normally take months if not years to obtain were available to Holden within days; Harley Street surgeons whom one would normally have to book years in advance all of a sudden found convenient holes in their schedules. Legal paperwork was filed and approved almost before the ink dried.)

Lady Holly Denise made no attempt to hide, now. Debrett’s was informed that the Duke of Bradford was now the Duchess and expected to be listed as such among the peerage. Suitable stationary and visiting cards were printed and readied. On the other hand, the Duchess made no attempt to force herself on society, especially the London society with which she had never been comfortable. Lady Holly Denise had only one goal in mind, and that was to be a good and loving mother to her daughter, a purpose to which she devoted her entire energies - rarely leaving Bradford Castle. She did, however, modernize her home (and install decent heating) to make it a suitable place for the baby. As little Anne grew, her doting mother did everything to make sure that she would have the most perfect girlhood imaginable, one that Holly had always fantasized for herself but had never enjoyed.

When Anne reached school age, Holly enrolled her in the local school, rather than send her to a special school for rich girls or have her educated by governesses. At the same time, moreover, she also became a very active supporter of quality education and freely donated her name, her time, and considerable amounts of her money to projects for upgrading the local schools. The West Riding of Yorkshire could boast, within a few years, of having some of the best schools in the country, including an amazingly-equipped secondary school for scientifically-gifted students which ran its own satellite tracking station, manned entirely by 16-year-olds (under the guidance of their teachers, of course) which was part of the international network for ecological monitoring. Anne, who had shown a distinct aptitude for science and mathematics, hoped to enroll there next year.

CHAPTER 2. THE DISASTEROUS BANQUET

The Duchess of Bradford’s refusal to be part of London society meant that she turned down an invitation to participate in The Event of The Decade, a festive three-day cruise on the QE2 in honor of the aging monarch’s birthday. Almost all of the other high-ranking peers did attend, and - as the ship sailed off of the coast of Ireland, partook of a sumptuous grand banquet more appropriate to first decade of the 20th century than to that of the more egalitarian 21st century. They all ate their fill (or more) and then, within hours, they all retched. There was something terribly wrong with the food. Helicopters were quickly summoned to take the worst cases to hospitals on land, while the ship’s infirmary tried to cope with the others. But the dimensions of the disaster turned out to be unbelievable: forty three of England’s foremost peers lost their lives that night. (The monarch, who had not felt well earlier, chose to eat only some fresh fruit, and so was not affected.)

A subsequent investigation by Scotland Yard revealed that there had been not one but two separate poisonings by terrorists infiltrated onto the ship in the guise of cooks: one of them a member of a radical Islamic group which campaigned to have Shariyeh - Islamic religious law - replace British Common Law and the second a member of an anarchist group that had passed a public “death sentence” on all peers of the realm for the continued theft of land and lives since the days of William the Conqueror. The two poisons placed in the food reinforced each other and neutralized any possible antidote.

The nation was in total shock, and it took many months for the anger and indignation to subside enough that a proper assessment of the situation. As editorial writers poured out pages and pages of opinion about the future of the aristocracy, and as countless talking heads debated the situation over and over again on television, one startling fact suddenly emerged: the Duchess of Bradford, who had not been on the cruise, was now second in line to the throne of England.

CHAPTER 3. A TRANSSEXUAL QUEEN?

The possibility that a transsexual might, some day, be queen of England caused public controversy unlike any before, but with several interesting realignments of opinion. Conservatives - traditional supporters of the monarchy - now insisted that everything be done to bar the Duchess of Bradford from ever reaching the throne, though it was not clear what in fact could be done. After all, there have been British monarchs who were overtly homosexual - Edward II being the most notorious - and certainly there have been many homosexual peers - including the uncle of Queen Elizabeth II, who had a long and well-publicized gay relationship with playwright Noel Coward. Speculation even persists, and some reputable historians even maintain, that Queen Elizabeth I was in fact a crossdressing male (the real princess Elizabeth having died - from natural or unnatural causes - in girlhood and a boy having been substituted for her).

On the other hand, leftists who traditionally advocated the abolishment of the monarchy altogether now found themselves in the position of defending the Duchess of Bradford and her right to be queen, if events turned out that way. They repeatedly pointed out that both British and European law forbade job discrimination against the transgendered, and that would include barring a transsexual from the throne. In the name of political correctness, they ended up supporting the monarchy.

Of course, there were those who said that the “situation” was a perfect excuse to eliminate the monarchy altogether, but these were considered extremist cranks and were not taken seriously by the media. What would England be without its monarchy?

The Duchess was condemned by one camp as being a pervert and a freak, and praised by the other as being an exemplary mother and a public-spirited champion of quality education. She, herself, took no part in the public debate. She refused to be interviewed or even to issue a public statement. She remained in Bradford Castle, devoting her time to her daughter and to her various educational projects. Her main concern was that the controversy surrounding her would not hurt Anne.

Anne had known about her mother for many years. When she was ten years old, her mother - aided by psychologist, sat down and explained the situation to her. Since Anne was very intelligent, and loved her mother very much, she was able to accept the situation and deal with it. Now came the real test. The Duchess was worried that the intense publicity would harm her and initiated meetings with the police and school officials and how to handle the situation. Reporters were barred from the grounds of Anne’s school and when one was caught infiltrating the building while carrying a tiny hidden video camera, he was arrested and charged as being a suspected pedophile (the camera being evidence that - on the face of it - he intended to photograph a minor or minors without their consent, perhaps in some compromising or intimate situation). The charges were dropped only after the leaders of the press pledged not to try to harass Anne in any way, on or off the school grounds.

CHAPTER 4. THE NEXT QUEEN OF ENGLAND

Then broke the news that the heir to the throne was thrown from his horse while fox hunting and died the next day. The Duchess of Bradford was now next in line to the throne of England, occupied by an aged monarch of increasingly-questionable health.

The succession to the throne of England is governed by complex but well-defined criteria in which the qualifications of the candidate to actually perform the duties of sovereign play no part. A king may be an imbecile or even stark raving mad - as was George III - and still reign over England. Paradoxically, as the monarchy lost much of its actual power and the monarch became more and more of a figurehead, the qualifications needed to perform for the job decreased and so any possible argument for disbarring someone from holding it. The only hope of disqualifying the Duchess from the throne lay in the fact that the monarch of England is also head of the Church of England. This was, after all, the technicality used to force the abdication of the pro-fascist king Edward VIII, who had married a divorcée, contrary to the rules of the Church, and therefore could not technically serve as its head. Many commentators speculated that a transsexual also, could not fill that position. But the Church of England itself had changed considerably since the 1930’s. The current Archbishop of Canterbury had - before he was chosen for his position - expressed considerable doubt over the divinity of Jesus and even was willing to “appreciate” the notion that God Himself was a “convenient myth” necessary for the social survival of mankind. It was therefore hard to maintain that there was any Church doctrine left by which the Duchess of Bradford could be judged. Still, this was the only hope of those who opposed her, and they managed to build a case against her which was duly laid before the House of Lords.

The government, led by a weak and dithering PM whose major concern was trying to reduce government spending in the face of increasing social entitlements and an even-faster-increasing trade deficit, tried to remain neutral in the controversy on the grounds that there was no immediate and compelling need to take a stand.

And then the monarch passed away.

The next few days were a mixture of official mourning and unofficial panic at the future. The Duchess of Bradford made her first appearance in London in years, at the funeral service. She refused to make any comment to the press during the mourning period, saying that the time was not right. She promised, however, to make a formal statement to the press after the official period of mourning was over. Behind the scenes, intensive negotiations were in progress between her, the Archbishop of Canterbury, and the Foreign Minister, representing the government. At the end of the mourning period, the Duchess of Bradford appeared at a news conference in Buckingham Palace. In a short and dignified statement, she announced that, in the interests of national unity, she had decided to forgo the throne of England, which she had never sought in the first place. The next queen of England would, by mutual agreement of all concerned, be her daughter Anne. Holly would, officially, be the Queen Dowager or, as she is informally called, "the queen mum".

---------------------

DISCLAIMER: Needless to say, this story is fiction and is not intended to reflect any real-life situation or any actual member of the British royal family or peerage.

up
61 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Great story

An incredibly realistic story - I felt I might have been reading it in the press. But the ending was rather a disappointment. I'd have liked her to have made it.

I'm surprised there is no real Duchess of Bradford or even a castle. I seem to recall that Pontefract Castle, just along the M62, was successfully invaded by bed delivery men at the start of the civil war.

it takes a lady

She probably could have fought for it, but it takes a real lady to be willing give up the crown in favor of her daughter, in order to avoid needless public controversy. I am sure she would have the time of her life as Queen Mum.

She should have taken the job!

The Queen who was a Queen would probably have blared from the Daily Mail's headlines!

The premise though is as outrageous and as funny in a sense as 'King Ralph'. I love it.

Kim

English Queens

joannebarbarella's picture

And why not? I agree she should have taken it.

Nowadays, Charles will not be made ineligible by marrying Ms. Parker-Bowles (and nor should he. She seems to be a remarkably decent woman)

Edward VII was a serial philanderer.

George VI was a wimp dominated by his formidable wife, the ex-Queen Mum.

George IV was probably a bigamist.

Not exactly a distinguished lineage, is it? Since I am reputedly descended from Robert The Bruce, I'd nominate myself for the job, but I feel I'm overqualified.

A nice story, Melissa,

Joanne

castles

The Castle in Bradford is an OK pub, what a nice twist if it was a TV friendly one, but you would need to go to Leeds for such fun at the moment.

Vive La Revolution, why do we need a queen anyway, come to think of it do we need politicians either.

Keep smiling
Lauran

Why Ever Not?

Why should a Transexual not be the Monarch? In what way would such a person be dsqualified?
Besides, the Monarch doesn't actually do anything anymore, does he she or it?

I enjoyed this parody of an already decidedly odd situation.

"DISCLAIMER: Needless to say, this story is fiction and is not intended to reflect any real-life situation or any actual member of the British royal family or peerage."

Nevertheless, it would be a better situation than now!

The evidence is overwhelming BTW that QE 1 was in fact a man. Which adds a lot to that famous speech before the battle in which the Armada was destroyed, where he said "I MAY have the body of a woman, but I have the heart of a King..." So this queen would not have been the first TS one.

Briar

Briar

Queen Elizabeth I

The evidence about Queen Elizabeth I is not quite as overwhelming as you make it sound, since it relies on the writings of her enemies, many of whom circulated extremely wild and contradictory rumors about her during her lifetime (some of the same sources that claim she was really a male later claim that she mothered several illegitimate children). The physical evidence (her baldness, for example) could equally be explained by the severe illness she suffered at the age of 8 (the "substitute boy" theory is based on the assumption that she died at that time and was replaced by a boy -- an illegitimate offspring of one of the Tudors -- in order to keep the dynasty alive). Most historians of the period do not accept the theory, but a few do. It is unlikely that the truth will ever be determined.

Melissa

The Duchess

Once again, Melissa gives us a story that although is fiction, is all too possible. And Janet Stickney has a story where Queen Anne was a female impersonator whe became the Queen. http://www.storysitetwo.org/story/anna~01.html

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I am an Englishwoman,

a monarchist and a great fan of Melissa's writings. These little stories are so well researched and written.

How could anyone take offence at this tale? As you say, the British aristoracy and monarchy have been littered with some very colourful characters, who IMHO have brightened the history of our country and, without whom, it would have been quite boring.

History is, after all, often merely a particular human being's version of events, and subject to their pressures, opinions and feelings.

Thank you, Melissa, for another wonderful gem.

Susie

For my darling sister and friend across the Pond...

Andrea Lena's picture

Dedicated to Susan Smythe-Heywood, Baroness of Birmingham, Duchess of Dorset, 1,129th heir to the throne.(With apologies to Gilbert and Sullivan)

She is an English Girl!

She is an English Girl!
For she herself has said it,
And it's greatly to her credit,
That she is an English Girl!

That she is an English Girl!

For she could have been born a German
With a name like Hans or Herman,
Or perhaps Itali-an!

Or perhaps Itali-an! (Oh God NO!)

She could have been Albanian
Born a Greek, a Slav or Romanian
She remains an English Girl!
She remains an English Girl!

She's well past her transition
But in spite of all tradition
She remains an English Girl!
She remains an English Girl!


She was born for all the wrong reasons
but grew up for all the right ones.
Con grande amore e di affetto,
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

can't wait for the BBC miniseries

laika's picture

(or a film by Neil Jordan or Stephen Frears...). Another great story-in-the-form-of-a-biographical-article, Melissa, about someone who never existed, but should've. It makes sense to me that Lady Holly didn't take the job, she had something better. The story portrays her as a private person who never went in for hobnobbing with the aristocracy or seeking media glory, so really the only reason I can see for her becoming Queen would be some duty she has to the LGBT community, to represent us, and charm the world into a greater understanding of what trans people are really like, and while there might be something to this, it's really her life and her business what she does with it. And as the Queen Mother she will be in the public eye (to a greater extent than probably anyone here at BCTS), but in a way she'll be more comfortable with, and after the important business of raising her daughter to be somebody fit for the role of Queen.

For a minute there I thought the QE2 was going to hit an iceberg, but your solution to wiping out most of those in line for the job was damned inventive, and like the mass-electrocution scene in King Ralph was kind of macabrely humorous. Two simultaneous terrorist acts?! Sure, it could happen. Reminds me of Robert Anton Wilson's explanation for all the confusion surrounding the JFK assassination; how all these different conspiracies just happened to chose the same time and place to knock the President off, hence all the conflicting details. It also reminds me of performance artist Laurie Anderson's advice on air travel safety: "The best way to ensure that your plane isn't blown up by terrorists is to carry a bomb onboard. Because while the chances of there being a bomb on the plane are remote, the chance of there being two bombs on it is infintesimal..."
~~~hugs, Laika

BBC miniseries

If you have any connections at the BBC, please tell them they can contact me via BigCloset. I am willing to sell them the rights at a reasonable price, with all money being donated to The Hatbox.

Melissa

The Dutchess

great story melissa i look forward to the next one

The Dutchess

Wow Melissa, you worked overtime on this story. look forwards to the next one. love Derisa