The Quiet Girl - Part 4

Printer-friendly version
The Quiet Girl
 
Part Four - And Dreams Are Not Forgotten

by Andrea Lena DiMaggio

 

But dreams don't last
Tho' dreams are not forgotten
And soon I'm back to stern reality
But tho' they paved the footways here with gold dust
I still would choose the Isle of Innisfree.


Previously:
“What she’s tryin’ to say, Shiv, is that the ring is special; not just to us…not just because it was part of our family. It came to you because you were meant to have it; which means it’s special to you, just like the farm is special to all of us. It’s a part of both of our families’ heritages. We’re joined at the hip, as they say, cuz, and we are linked for a reason; a reason that goes beyond either of our families.” Heather touched Shiv’s arm once again, making Shiv feel all the more uncomfortable.

Shiv pulled her arm back and thrust her hand into her other pocket. She looked as uncomfortable as she felt, but would grow even more uncomfortable.

“There’s one more thing we have to tell you…somthin’ we’ve only known for a little while.” Katie said as she pulled an old piece of paper out of her purse.

“Grandpa Will married Grandma Sarah late in life…just like your grandfather married your grandmother, yes?” It was more of a statement than a question.

“He was fifty-seven and she was forty-eight; it was too late for them to have children.” She handed the paper to Shiv who unfolded. Shiv began to read aloud,

“Patrick William McCarthy…Who’s Patrick McCarthy?” Shiv asked. She looked at Heather who looked back at Katie.

“Keep readin’,” Katie said... hereby named Patrick William Dannaher. I don’t get it. What’s Udactas Uctala na h Eireann…what does that mean?” Shiv asked. She knew only the little Gaelige that her grandmother taught her.

“The Adoption Agency of Ireland,” Mick said with a soft laugh, evoking a cold stare from both Katie and Heather.

“What does that mean? Is that Uncle Paddy…is that your dad?” Shiv asked.

“It means, dear cousin,” Heather said with a smile, “We’re not related.” With that she touched Shiv’s arm one final time. In trying to pull her arm away, Shiv jerked sideways. A leg on the chair snapped and she fell over and hit her head and everything went black.


Shiv blinked her eyes and saw a ceiling fan rotate lazily. The light was glaring and she raised her hand to shield her eyes, evincing a sharp pain in her elbow followed quickly by "OHH...fuck!"

"Well, I'm glad you're awake, Miss Kelly. You gave us quite a scare. You seem to be making a habit of this." The doctor said with a wry smile. Shiv tried to prop herself up on her good elbow, which wasn't much better than her other, having bruised it when her head hit the floor.

"Just rest...lie back, Miss Kelly. You've likely sustained a concussion. I'm going to have you go with your cousin over to her place. Shiv looked up to see Katie and Mick.

"You're getting to be quite a handful, literally." Katie said, rubbing her arm. I tried to break your fall and I pulled a muscle." She laughed softly. Mick stood back a little. He leaned forward to comfort her but she pulled away. Shiv noticed the expression on Katie's face seemed to go beyond just the pain in her arm.

"We'd best be gettin' you home, young lady," Katie said. Whatever she had done to gain her reputation in town, it wasn't apparent at all with Shiv…and that word she used? Home? Mick and Katie helped her off the exam table and she immediately felt a pain in the back of her head.

"Oh fuck...owwww." The pain was sharp enough to cause her to reel a bit, but she quickly gained her balance. They helped her to the car and in a few minutes they were on the road to the Danaher farm.


"Now don't hesitate to call." Heather said softly as she leaned against the door. "I'm right next door, and don't worry about me droppin' in to check like the doctor said...I'll be up for a while...I'm reading a new Jack Higgins novel, and I can't put it down." She smiled and waved and was gone. Shiv laid her head back down on the pillow and looked at the ceiling.

Between the lingering pain and the events of the day, Shiv gave into the moment. She turned her on her good side and began to weep softly; certainly not enough to be heard. Nevertheless, she felt the bed sag as Heather sat down next to her. She patted her on the back and said softly,

"Shiv, honey...it's okay." I'll just sit here in the armchair and keep you company for a while, yes?" She kissed her on the forehead. Walking over to the doorway, Heather turned the dimmer down to low. She sat down, pulled a book light out of her sweater pocket, sat down and began to read, singing to herself softly,


Downstairs, another scene was playing out.

"We can't go on like this, Mick." Katie said, her back to him as she looked out the window into the night. He put his hand on her shoulder. She moved it slightly to pull away, but he turned her around gently and said.

"I agree." He smiled, which was disconcerting given their relationship. Katie had hoped he'd disagree.

"Listen, darlin'," he said softly. He avoided kissing her because he needed to say what was on his heart.

"I've grown tired of this...you've grown tired of this. We're stuck in a rut, and there's nothin' to do but get out of it."

"I know, but i don't know how." Katie said. Tears began to fall as she looked away once again.

"You know what this is about, Kate." Mick said, walking around in front of her. He went to hold her hands, but she pulled them away. Persistent, he pulled her into him and kissed her, softly, but with a tentitiveness.

"You're bein' ruled by fear instead of faith, darlin'" He said, kissing her forehead. "We've been together for almost six years now and you still are afraid, and you know why."

Katie winced at the word and shook her head, not denying what Mick said, but in almost resignation, as if to say, no...please tell me something else; something less painful.

"You're afraid that you're just like your parents...that if you get married, we'll be just like they were....shaky love built on fear and worry and doubt. Well, darlin', I'm not your father, and you're not your mother." He frowned, not at her so much as at the ghosts of the past

"But you don't know...you can't begin to understand...." She tried to pull away, but his grip, soft as it was, held her firm; more due to her wanting him to keep her from leaving; her testing of his love.

"I can't, now can I?" Mick grew a little stern. "Me dad was the only fookin' dago in town when I was born...You think your dad was only one who had a hard time? And before you say it, I know your mom had a hard time as well, bein' Greek and all. What a fookin' mess." He wasn't being critical of her parents; only the scrutiny they and the girls had to endure.

"And your dad bein' adopted on top of it...'bastard' they called him. I can't believe that one of the smallest places on earth could hold so many fookin' morons." He looked at Katie, who was almost motionless. Her fists were balled up in anger over the rejection the family had to endure.

"And you're afraid that if we get married, we'll split up and that will be that. Well, Katie Danaher, I'm not goin' anywhere. If anyone's moved in this relationship, it's you. You're the one who won't commit...you're the one who's afraid." He was angry at her, but quickly his mood turned sad.

"I love you Mick. I really love you. But there has to be more than that." Katie said, wiping away her tears with her sweater sleeve.

"There are no guarantees, darlin'....none at all, except I promise I will never leave you." Mick said one last time before drawing her closer for a kiss.

"I'm here...so to speak. I'm gonna go home and think. But I can't do all the work here. You have to have faith in me...in us" He kissed her again.

"Oh Mick....oh God...I love you so...I am so sorry....Please don't go....I love you." She said as she kissed him over and over. In a moment captured in time, a magical change took place.

Mick resisted the urge to say "It's about fookin' time," recognizing he was just as fearful as her, but had acted on faith to see things change. He said instead,

"I love you, Katie Helen Danaher...from the first time I met you....I love you and I want you." He reached into his pocket, pulling out a small jewelry box. The dark blue velour had given way to gray tatters and steel, worn out by constant fingering and removing and replacing over the years. Owing to an old rugby injury, he stood rather than get down on one knee. He opened the box and Katie's eyes widened in recognition. In the box was the near twin of the ring she had buried years ago that Shiv now held.

"Mick...the ring...it's..." She started to say.

"There are three of these, the only ones in the world. Mary Kate Danaher Thorton got one when Sean married her; she gave it to her daughter Maureen, Shiv's mother. It came back to her when Maureen died, and it was buried with her. The second was given by your Grandfather Will, who gave it to his bride, your grandmother. She gave it to your mum Helen, and that's the one you buried. And this one. My Granddad Michaeleen gave it to me mum when she and dad got married. One buried in the states, one buried in the stream, and one buried...hidden in my heart, so to speak, waitin' to be unearthed at the right time."

"It's beautiful, Mick, but it looks different." Katie almost ignored the reason for the moment, intrigued.

"Three rings, three different metals. Thorton...silver...argent. Danaher...Gold ...and O'Flynn....platinum...all comin' together so to speak.

"I love it, Mick...oh God, I love you so much." She threw her arms around him and kissed him again.

"So i guess there's only one thing left to say, yes?" Mick smiled at her and said the words that Katie had always feared but now welcomed.

"Katie, will you marry me?" he said softly with a wry smile.

"Yes....oh yes!" Katie said as he slipped the ring on her finger.

"Yes!"


The next morning, Katie and Heather had family business to attend to. Owing to all of the previous day’s drama, the court hearing regarding the property had been postponed until the following Friday. Mick gave Shiv a ride to White O’Mornin’ to have a look around, or as Shiv had said, “time to get my head sorted out.”

The car pulled up once again to the cottage and they both got out. Mick handed Shiv the key.

“It really seems odd; there was a time when not only weren’t the doors locked around here, most places didn’t even have locks. Things have changed…times have changed,” he said with a frown.

“If you need me, I’ll be at my sentinel’s post, assuming my guard duties, kiddo, okay?” Mick seemed very much at ease following the previous evening’s wonder. He promptly returned to the car, where he sat behind the wheel, tilted his cap over his eyes and gave due attention to his morning nap. Shiv laughed softly at the sight. She turned and pushed the key into the lock and turned the door.

The house was surprisingly free of any musty smell, which Shiv quickly discovered was from the open windows at the back and side of the house. A fresh fragrance of heather wafted through the cottage, giving the place a feeling of welcome and home. She looked around the room and noticed that all the white sheets which normally would be covering the furniture had been removed and placed in a neat pile on the kitchen table. Not so much a kitchen as a common room with chairs and a divan. The melodeon that her grandmother spoke so much about had been pushed into a corner, but it was freshly polished, smelling of lemon oil. She looked at it and thought back to her last conversation with her grandmother.


“Now you mind that you keep up your lessons, child.” Nana Mary Kate said. She looked at the piano in the living room of her apartment.

“I so hated to leave my melodeon there, but we didn’t have the money to have it shipped, and after I did, it seemed better to leave it with the cottage, like a blessing for you when you move back.” Her grandmother said as she combed out Shiv’s hair.

“Nana…I’m not even sure if I’ll ever go back.” Shiv said.

“I mean…It’s hard enough being accepted here…what would happen with people I don’t know?” Shiv looked at the piano, remembering the lessons she had learned at the keyboard, and not just scales or runs.

“Nonsense, mi chroi. You’ll be with family. And I’ll be with you too…in spirit.” Mary Kate Danaher Thornton knew that her time was growing short. Already she had felt the pull…the welcome invitation to come “home.”

“Nana…Show me your ring again.” Shiv said. She looked at her own left hand and tears came to her eyes. She had given up hope of ever wearing such a ring…any ring on her left hand; few boys…few men would be willing to accept her for what she was, much less who she was. Her grandmother stopped combing her hair and walked around in front of Shiv and sat down at the kitchen table beside her granddaughter. She wore the ring she had given her daughter; the ring that returned to her upon her daughter's untimely death along with her son-in-law in an auto accident when Shiv was thirteen.

“This was given to me by your grandfather. You remember what the signs on the ring mean, darlin’?” She said as she held out her hand. No matter how old or how far traveled, no matter what happens in life, it always seems that a woman is proud to display the ring her sweetheart gave her.

“I’m sorry, Nana…I forget, please tell me again,” Shiv fibbed. It always sounded wonderful to hear her grandmother tell the story…somehow it seemed to give her hope…hope that maybe someday someone would love her for who she was, regardless of what she’d been born into and what she was.

“Well, in the old country, this is known as a Claddagh ring. It has meaning that goes back hundreds of years…Some say Margaret Joyce…a widow who remarried and used her inheritance to pay to have bridges built in Connacht…An eagle is said to have dropped it in her hand as a reward.”

“Because she was so generous, Nana?” Shiv knew the story, but the telling by her grandmother was soothing, like a lullaby.

“Yes, mi chroi, because she was so generous. Others say a Mister Joyce was captive in Algiers. After he was freed, he was offered the hand of a goldsmith’s daughter, but wished to return to his beloved Eire, and the goldsmith gave him the ring.”

“Because he was so loyal, Nana,” Shiv asked again.

“Yes, because he was so loyal.” Shiv would discover years later the significance in her own life of the meaning of those two words; loyalty and generosity.

“Well the symbols…That’s a tellin’ I always enjoy because it reminds me of what me and your granddad Sean had…you’re named after him you know?” Mary Kate almost regretted the words as soon as they left her lips. Shiv started to tear up.

“There, there, dear one. It will be alright…I promise.” She looked at her with a gaze that seemed to almost guarantee her words.

“Now…the ring…the hands holding the heart with the crown…do you remember what that means, sweetheart?” Her grandmother asked. She shook her head no, preferring to hear it told with such love and devotion.

“The fá¡inne Chladaigh….the Claddagh ring…’With this crown, I give my loyalty, With these hands, I offer my service, With this heart, I give you mine.’" She smiled and continued.

“Now if you’re interested in someone, you wear it on your right hand with the heart pointed away, and of course you wear it on your left if you’re married.” Shiv once again teared up.”

“I don’t belong, Nana…I never will. I hate myself.” Shiv continued to cry.

“No, don’t say such a thing. You’re beautiful. And you do fit in…just where we haven’t figured out.” She kissed Shiv on the cheek.

“Siobhan…like Sean…a gift of God. You were a gift to your mum and dad and you’re my precious gift too, never forget that.”

Mary Kate Dannaher Thornton died that evening in her sleep. She had the most peaceful look anyone could ever have.


Shiv walked over and sat down at the melodeon and flexed her hands. Her elbow hurt only a little, so she decided to try playing. She looked at the worn sheet music on the stand and discovered it was the song her grandmother had taught her…the very same song her grandmother sang with Mick’s grandfather so long ago.

The young May moon is beaming, love,
The glow-worm’s lamp is gleaming, love;
How sweet to rove
Through Morna’s grove,
While the drowsy world is dreaming, love!

She was about to start the next refrain when a soft voice sang from behind her, giving her a start.

Then awake! -- the heavens look bright, my dear,
’Tis never too late for delight, my dear;
And the best of all ways
To lengthen our days
Is to steal a few hours from the night, my dear!

Heather stood leaning against the open front doorway, her arms moving softly with the melody. Her red hair was covered by a scarf and she wore a green cardigan over a white scoop-neck blouse and jeans. She smiled and moved closer to Shiv who jumped up.

“I’m sorry…I didn’t mean to be presumptuous, but I saw it here.

“Go on, cuz…you’ve a lovely voice. Perhaps we could harmonize?” Shiv sat down at the melodeon once again, this time nervously. She began to play and Heather began singing the melody as Shiv picked up the harmony by ear.

Now all the world is sleeping, love,
But the Sage, his star-watch keeping, love,
And I, whose star
More glorious far
Is the eye from that casement peeping, love.
Then awake! -- till rise of sun, my dear,
The Sage's glass we'll shun, my dear,
Or in watching the flight
Of bodies of light
He might happen to take thee for one, my dear

As she finished the song Heather put her hand on Shiv’s shoulder. She jumped up once again with a start, this time bumping into Heather. She went to step away but their feet got tangled and she fell into Heather’s arms. Face to face, Shiv smelled Heather’s fragrance…a little bit of the smell of fresh soil as well as an overwhelming smell of roses; likely the roses that trailed the stone wall down the hill.

Heather smiled at her warmly and without a word kissed Shiv full on the lips. Shiv shook nervously and gave into the kiss, but a moment later found herself standing up quickly.

“I’m sorry…I’m so sorry,” she said as she beat a hasty retreat out the door. She got into the cab and woke Mick up with,

“I need to get back to the inn…now!”

“Alright, alright….just a moment.” Mick said with a laugh.

“Now, Mick!” She said and he started the engine. They were quickly down the hill, but not before Heather stood at the top of the drive watching their hasty departure. She smiled once again and walked back into the cottage. Sitting down at the melodeon, she began playing. Her voice was sweet and warm, and she smiled to herself as she chuckled softly and began singing.

The Sage's glass we'll shun, my dear,
Or in watching the flight
Of bodies of light
He might happen to take thee for one, my dear

Shiv was back at the inn. She lay in her bed, her face buried in a pillow as she sobbed. A knock came at the door. She wiped her face with her sleeve, forgetting about her arm as she bumped her nose with her cast.

“Who is it?” she asked, hoping her voice didn’t betray her mood.

“It’s Katie, Shiv…can I come in?”

“Sure, just give me a sec.” She ran to the dresser and looked in the mirror. She wiped her face once again, this time with her good arm and walked to the door. She opened it and found Katie standing in front of her with a wide grin on her face, as if she had a secret.

“Well, you certainly look happy,” Shiv noted as Katie walked into the room. Katie no sooner got in when she pulled Shiv in for a hug; a little too painful for her broken ribs.

“Mick and I…we finally did it.” She began to almost dance with Shiv, further jarring Shiv’s head, ribs and arm.

“What…what did you do?” Shiv asked as the dancing died down.

“We’re engaged…after six years, I finally figured out that I’m not my father or mother.” Shiv didn’t quite know what Katie was talking about, but she figured she’d find out soon enough.

“Well, six years is too long. We’re not going to wait one second more. We’ve got the license and Father McDermott has blessed us… ‘Better late than never,’ he said.” She laughed and continued.

“Anyway, we want you as a bridesmaid…nothing fancy…Heather’s my maid of honor and Mick has his brother standing up for him and his cousin Ahmed. We’re having a party over at Cohan’s at eight. Okay?” She smiled broadly and for the first time Shiv appreciated what a lovely woman…what a lovely person her cousin was.

“Of course. I’ll walk over there. Have to get fixed up, yes?” Shiv smiled. Katie hugged her again.

“Got to be off…lots of things to plan for…I phoned the judge…we’ll not contest the deed, Shiv…The farm is yours. “ She hugged Shiv once more and was off.

Shiv closed the door and walked down and sat on the bed. She opened her purse and pulled out the ring and looked at it. She remembered her grandmother’s words.

“With this crown, I give my loyalty, With these hands, I offer my service, With this heart, I give you mine.” She threw herself back on the bed and wept bitter tears.


It was seven eighteen. Shiv looked in the mirror.

“I look like hell,” she said to herself as she noted how red and puffy her face had been from crying.

“What the fuck, I’ll just tell them they were tears of happiness.” She checked her outfit… Cream colored slacks with a Kelly green silk blouse.

“Not bad…oh who the fuck am I trying to kid.” She sucked it up and kept herself from crying. Everyone would be crying and laughing at the party, she figured.

She walked down the street heading for the block that led to Cohan’s pub. As she rounded the corner, Heather pulled up and parked her car across the street. She noticed someone walking several yards behind Shiv. The two disappeared around the corner


“So, you little shite, nobody to take care of you. You fookin’ queer.” Jamie walked up to Shiv and shoved her rudely into the wall of the store front.

“And don’t go tryin’ any ting fancy,” Jamie said as he pulled out a gun. Turning Shiv around he punched her in her ribs, sending her back against the wall.

“Lucky for me that everybody is at that fookin’ party over at Cohan’s…you and me are gonna take a walk back to my car, yes?” He said as he pushed the gun hard into Shiv’s ribcage. He took a step back to admire his work when he heard a soft, almost melodic voice call from behind.

“O Jamie darlin’” the voice said softly.

“What,” he said as he turned around.

“Just this,” the voice said again softly, “you fookin’ bastard.” Jamie heard a crack, followed by a pain that caused him to fall to his knees as Heather broke his arm with one swing of her hurly bat. He had barely time to register the pain in his arm when his head flew back from the kick in the chest that came from Shiv’s foot. He fell back and hit his head on the curb, knocking him out. Heather smiled at Shiv even as she dialed emergency on her cell phone. She covered the phone for a moment and turned to Shiv.

“National Camogie Champs, Galway, 2011, yes?” She smiled and blew a kiss to Shiv, who just leaned against the wall of the storefront, smiling back sheephishly.

Minutes later Jamie Patterson sat in the back of a police car as it pulled away. Shiv and Heather walked the block or so and opened the door to the doctor’s office.

“Why hello, Miss Kelly…I see you’re here for your daily visit. Come right back and we’ll just look at the results of today’s mayhem, aye?”


The nuptials of Michaeleen David Torricelli and Katherine Helen Danaher were the item of the spring season. The Rev. Andrew McDermott presided officially over the ceremony, with family and friends in attendance, including Mick's twelve cousins and other assorted relatives. The ceremony was held in the field behind the church on a sunny day in May.

The bride was resplendent in a simple white full length dress and a garland of baby’s breath in her hair. Her cousin Shiv wore an attractive mint green off the shoulder gown; the first time she had worn anything formal, which was for her surprisingly comfortable. And Heather wore a matching gown of Kelly green, ironically, but it was her jewelry that caught everyone’s attention. On her left hand was a gold Claddagh ring…newly inscribed.


I give you my heart…Shiv

And the sound of Cathy Jordan and Dervish filled the air...
 

Echo of blue water I’ll never leave your side
Your ocean sky my blanket your starlight as my guide
Drift along this weightless whale so festooned in the sea
And my bride and I, my ship, my sail, my dream dreaming of thee

The End

(Camogie is the women's version of what we sometimes call Hurling, where a ball is balanced on a stick with a wide end; it's played similar to field hockey but with much more contact, mayhem and all around disregard for personal safety. It's like Lacrosse only without protection, although I was reminded that helmets are now compulsory.)
 
The Young May Moon
Words and Music by Thomas Moore
Available Thru DVD
The Quiet Man
As performed by Maureen O'Hara and Barry Fitzgerald
 
My Bride and I
As performed by Dervish, featuring Cathy Jordan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqrTc2mhM3A
 
The Isle of Innis Free
Words and Music by Dick Farrelly
as performed by Celtic Woman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xn7rjlOxfc

up
39 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

OMG!!!!!!!!!!

"Ruled by fear instead of Faith". Strong words even in real time. What a wonderfully delightful end to this tail. OMG!!! And so romantic as well. I always knew those hurly bats would come in handy. The little ones run around the house batting one another, just for practice you understand. And the bats are a softer plastic. Thanks for this wonderful tale mom.

Your lil' Brat

facing fear

can be the hardest task. But there are benifits as she is discovering.

DogSig.png

Innisfree

littlerocksilver's picture

'Tis such a beautiful, sweet story. My only complaint is that it was far too short.

:) Portia

Portia

SIMPLY BEAUTIFUL and SIMPLE

ALISON

'and as romantic as ever was from the pen of our incurable romantic.
Thank you 'Drea,as always.

ALISON

As always

RAMI

A wonderful ending to a great story. A happy ending.

RAMI

RAMI

Thank you for this story

The Quiet Man is one of my favorite of the Duke's movies. And you captured the characters so perfectly... And said some important things about life and love, in such an enjoyable form.

Janice

The Quiet Girl - Part 4

OK, But the question of the farm has yet to be settled as well as Shiv's future.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Drea.....sweet heart.....

I love the way to tied up all the little twists in the plot. With Heather and Siobhan not being blood relations, they will get to share the farm and it's magic. It is very evident that Siobhan's future is at her 'home' with her people. This was a wonderfully romantic tale with the just the slightest touch of magic. I am so glad you write as plainly and as simply as you do so that we all, well most of us anyway, can follow the web you weave. Brava!!!

Mea the Magnificent

Beautiful ending

laika's picture

Wonderful romantic ending. Shiv and Heather. Mick and Katie. Jamie and ....... ? Bubba?
Good riddance to the piece of crap. But everybody else, it was a beautiful resolution to this story
(and now I can go rent the movie, and I'll keep an open mind although I'm not a huge fan of the Duke...)
~~hugs, Laika

.
Except greedy little piglet that I am, I would have loved to see more of Shiv and Heather's life together.
But I suppose---barring a Part Two---I will just have to imagine this little afterward to the wedding scene:

Each with a mug of tea, they snuggled next to the fire.

Shiv sighed, "Beautiful ceremony, wasn't it?"

"I know," smiled Heather, "Katherine was just glowing, and Michaeleen ...... I was surprised at how spiffy he could look in a suit. I'm glad they finally did it. And you sure were crying! Such a girl sometimes..."

"Hey, a lot of people cry at weddings. So what if I do..."

"And at birthdays, baby showers, bar mitzvahs, movies, and supermarket grand openings. In line at the bank-"

"I do not! That was mean..."

"You're right, it was. Let me make it up to you," said Heather with a devilish smile.

"Yeah? How?"

"Come to bed and I'll show you."

And for the next three and a half hours The Quiet Girl wasn't quiet at all...

I enjoyed the story. Well

I enjoyed the story. Well done.

Camogie is actually is the female version of hurling. The stick called a hurley is narrow with a wide end but is not cupped. It is a very fast exciting game. Nowadays helmets with face protection are compulsory.

Carol.

I have the DVD but now I know the rest of the story!

Ole Ulfson's picture

And it may be better than the original. I knew you'd give us a happy ending. I just didn't figure out how until you introduced the shy, retiring, sweet smelling Heather: I wanted it to be her. I thought she might have some hickory in that lovely package.

Absolutely delightful!

Thank you.

Ole

We are each exactly as God made us. God does not make mistakes!

Gender rights are the new civil rights!