Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 947.

Printer-friendly version
Wuthering Dormice
(aka Bike)
Part 947
by Angharad

Copyright © 2010 Angharad
All Rights Reserved.
  
-Dormouse-001.jpg

How can you tell the children are on school holiday? It’s raining cats and dogs. Still if it was blood, I’d be worried waiting for the rest of the plagues to happen. Once after a particularly prolonged period of precipitation, I phoned B&Q DIY superstores to ask the price of gopher wood, these days?

The numskull who answered after I’d been put through to the timber department, had no idea what I was on about. I said I wanted to build an ark, he still had no idea. I then mentioned Genesis, he’d heard of them–met Phil Collins at a charity gig. I rang off after he suggested calling a specialist timber yard. By then the joke was old and I was bored with it.

We seem to live in a world dominated by people with attention spans of about twenty seconds, who have little in the way of education, use drink or use drugs and get violent at the drop of a hat.

Maybe I’m a bit prejudiced following my experience this afternoon. We’d gone shopping–the we being Trish, Livvie and Mima with Julie and me. We’d done the dreary bit–the food shop and it was being delivered by the supermarket–Stella was there to let them in and could put it away which I’d arranged it with her before we left.

I’d promised them an outfit each for Easter–which by the prognostications of the Met Office looked like a wet suit might be most suitable, teamed with wellies and a sou’wester.

We went to the nicest of the shopping malls in Portsmouth–Gunwharf Quays. After a quick lunch–quite literally a baguette and a drink we set off round the shops. Simon had taken the two boys out on Sunday–they were chuffed, they don’t go in his Jaguar very often. They also talked him into springing for a whole pile of clothes, which probably wasn’t a bad thing–they have much fewer than the girls–but that’s life, boys need fewer clothes, because left to them they’d never change them or wash them. They think differently since Julie asked them to stand downwind of her, and made one or two rude comments after she sniffed a bit.

Recently, they’ve actually stuck to my insistence that they change their underwear every day along with their socks. Pullovers and trousers do for a week unless they get soiled–or in their case, holed in the knees when playing football in the playground. I got fed up with buying new ones which lasted less than a week–so I began patching them or darning them.

At one point, I threatened to patch them with pink floral patterned material unless they were careful–the threat was never proven, they took shorts or old trousers to wear to play in the school yard.

Back to the present: in Gap we found a pair of leggings and a bum hugger top for Julie, and Livvie wanted something similar in a different colour. Julie’s was grey and black, Livvie’s was pink and green–she looked like a mobile sweet-pea, but she was happy.

In Marks and Spencer, Mima saw a dress she liked–have I mentioned before that she’s very girly, even compared to Trish, who can go all feminine and frilly on me. Trish wanted some new jeans, but very specific ones she’d seen in the Next catalogue. So we traipsed to Next and she found them after quoting the garment number to the assistant. They were blue denim with pink stripes through them and embroidered flowers climbing up the main seams. She wanted a reversed colour sweat shirt, which was pink with blue stripes and flowers climbing up the arms, and a pink polo shirt.

Then I got stung for shoes: Trish wanted trainers, Livvie wanted Uggli boots and Julie wanted some more ballet pumps, which Mima decided she wanted as well.

By mid afternoon my debit card was feeling overused. I needed some more money, so went to one of our banks to draw some through the cashier. I only wanted a hundred but the little chap on the desk tried to suggest I was up to my limit for the day. I asked how so, and he told me my card had seen quite a bit of action and they were suspicious of it.

I pointed to the row of children behind me–“They have all had a new outfit today, unfortunately, they tend to have expensive tastes.”

“Yes, Mrs Cameron, but your card has a limit.”

“Since when–that only applies to cash withdrawals and I only want a hundred in cash.”

“Your card has seen unusual amounts of activity today.”

“Yes, they’re standing behind me.”

“I’d need to get this verified”–and as I was about to blast him, he added–“it’s for your own protection.”

He came back with a supervisor a few moments later. “How may I help?” she asked.

“I want a hundred pounds in cash please.”

“You have sufficient funds in your account?”

“I hope so, if not I’d like to know why?”

“Well your account has seen rather a lot of use today.”

“Look, when Henry got me to open this account, he didn’t mention petty rules and restrictions.”

“I’m sorry, who is Henry?” she asked walking straight into my trap.

“Henry Cameron, Viscount Stanebury–your chairman.”

She went very pale and then blushed. “I–um–suppose you’re family of his?” she asked tentatively.

“He’s my father in law, why does that make a difference.”

“No, um–of course not, we try to protect everyone’s account from potential fraud.”

“Can I withdraw my money then, before I ask him to close this branch?”

“But of course,” she nodded at the bank clerk who with trembling hands counted out my money and handed it to me.

I smiled and thanked him.

“You were a long time, Mummy,” remarked Livvie.

“I wanna wee,” said Mima loudly.

We scrambled to the nearest loo and I waited outside laden with bags while they all went in. I’ve heard of safety in numbers but this was pushing it a bit. I stood by the entrance holding all these bags when two youths, quite large ones–both white, wearing hoodies and jeans approached. It being a school holiday, I tried not to pay too much attention.

Suddenly, one pushed me and I crashed backwards into the convenience wall, winding me and causing me to drop some of the bags. Then the robbery began–the one youth grabbed my handbag, a shoulder bag, which was still draped over my arm.

I allowed his pull to help me to my feet just as his colleague aimed a kick at me. I managed to parry that with my hand, then twisted to avoid the punch the other one threw, whilst kicking him quite hard in the knee. He swore, his friend tried to kick me again and this time I leapt out of the way kicking the bag grabber in the groin. This time he went down and released my bag.

At this point bystanders were starting to gather and I heard Trish scream when the remaining thug pulled a knife. “I’m gonna cut you bad, bitch.”

I said nothing but as he advanced towards me Julie flung one of her boots at him, followed by Trish and Livvie. It didn’t hurt him but it did distract him long enough for me turn and kick him at chest level, followed by one to his face as he stumbled backwards, and then one to the ligaments of his knee. He fell backwards with quite a smack on the hard floor, and I stamped on his hand holding the knife–before kicking the latter away from his reach. The first thug got up and staggered away right into the arms of a large security guard.

The bystanders, stood and applauded, and I rather pointedly said, “I had a different sort of hand in mind, but thanks for nothing.” They went off muttering.

The police arrived on the scene quite quickly, the videotape was secured and I made a statement, then went home.

“You were amazing, Mummy,” said Julie, “ can you teach me to do that?”

“And me,” added Trish and Livvie.

“How about we sign you up for dance lessons?” I offered.

“What? No way, I wanna learn kick boxing.”

When we got home my back was hurting, “About bloody time, what a day I’ve had, these boys have been absolute murder while you lot were gadding about enjoying yourselves...”

We all looked at Stella and burst out laughing.

05Dolce_Red_l_0.jpg

up
180 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So all Stella had to do

was take in the shopping. Surely Simon was looking after the boys? Cathy has to do several rounds with Idiot and Goon, plus shop for England, plus read the bank staff their fortune plus outfit four girls plus ....

Hmm . Do you sometimes get the impression that Cathy has trouble sitting on her shoulder waiting to pounce?

Your little weekend away certainly hasn't dulled your wit, Ang.

Susie

Why should....

Simon be looking after the boys, when he took them shopping. I mean. What's a sister good for, if she can't take care of the kids for a few minutes while the master of the house relaxes. *sighs*

Why is it that nowadays, you buy jeans with holes already made? My wife's been "faking" that look for years (sewing a piece of denim behind the "rip" so the rip shows, but there's no hole... Before that, there were patches, and when the girls were young enough, the patches were always really pretty - bits of material cut out from other fabrics. They grew out of that, though, as it wasn't "stylish".

Thanks for continuing this for us.

Annette

Bruce lee alias Cathy Cameron

strikes again....Don't you just love it when the bad guys get there just desserts, And is it not just typical of modern Britain that everyone just stands around not lifting a finger to help....At least Cathys children seem to made of sterner stuff, They at least made an effort to try and help which is more than can be said of their elders.

Kirri

Easy As Falling Off A Bike pt 947.

Oh, how rich! Just wait till they tell about their day to Stella.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Priceless, that puts it into perspective

“You were a long time, Mummy,” remarked Livvie.

“I wanna wee,” said Mima loudly.

Priceless, that puts it into perspective, there are more important things that clueless tellers.

Thanks for the great continuing read.

D

Well ...

... I would say I consider myself to have some education, have an attention span exceeding 20 seconds and use no recreational drugs except alcohol, and that rarely, but I wouldn't have had a clue about gopher wood, either. I regard the bible on the same level as Aesop's Fables and as full of myths albeit with a few more lifestyle guides. My back ground is different, I suppose. I was equally shocked when a writer here thought a Spitfire had dive brakes when everybody knows ... no, they don't do they? Of course not. Everyone has different interests and, like the B&Q assistant, mine certainly isn't the bible. I think Cathy let her fundie christian upbringing get the better of her :)

Clearly, Angharad's cat has missed her over the weekend and couldn't resist putting their heroine through her paces with a bit of Kung Fu. It also seems Cathy's getting less reluctant to use the well-known 'Do you know who I am?' approach to cutting through bureaucracy. Good ploy if you can manage it. I could have done with a bit of influence like that in the Yorkshire Bank this morning LOL.

Robi

OK, so...

First Cathy gets bored and has to try to wind up a non-Cameron. Of course, 99% of the world doesn't have her wit or knowledge, so they don't get it.

Then a mundane case of idiots following idiotic policy. A nice "Do you know who I am?" shuts the teller up beautifully.

And then, of course, no day would be complete without something awful attempting to impose itself on Cathy.

And then the conversation when she got home with Stella also is somewhat predictable, and gives us a nice end to the episode.

Thanks for the continuation of this wonderful series.

Brill!

That was fantastic, as the girls already remarked. Gosh, I wish you were my Mummy too, Cathy! And that last line, was so funny.

I had a good chuckle over her "I had a different sort of hand in mind" response to the applause, that was another super one liner.

I was going to remark "You couldn't make it up, could you?", but of course you could, Angharad, and you did.

A brilliant episode.

Briar

Briar

Well, here goes Cathy and

Well, here goes Cathy and the police again. They will be aghast that Cathy has been involved in yet another fight to protect herself and coming out on the good side while the two bad apples come out on the requiring medical attention side. You go, girl! Angharad and Bonzi, thank you both for a fast paced and really 'slamming good' chapter.
The 'slamming' being the two crooks hitting the floor after Cathy kicked them both. Jan

Love to see someone

finally get one up on a rude bank teller. To me that was more impressive than the performance against the robbers. (not that I didn't appreciate it too)

Wouldn't It Be Funny If Henry Showed Up?

jengrl's picture

Wouldn't it be funny if Henry showed up at one of the branches and they didn't know who he was? You know heads would roll then. I guess this branch just happened to be one that Cathy didn't do an environmental audit on. It was also surprising they didn't know her from the posters and the film either. I'm sure they know who she is now LOL!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Bailey Summers Please, have

Bailey Summers

Please, have Cathy hand some pushy telemarketer his/her comeuppance.

Bailey Summers

Ark joke

Reminds me of this old joke:

I was in B&Q the other day and I saw a chap ordering wood by the cubit.
Stranger still, he had a copy of the Bible in his hand.
Does he know something we don't?

Given all the banks should have posters of Cathy (and Spike) prominently displayed, plus she probably visited the branch in an official capacity only a few weeks ago to do the environmental audit, you'd think someone there would possess a clue...

IIRC, Julie's already been signed up to a course of self-defence lessons. Imagine the fun if the other three girls (and possibly the two boys) are signed up to age-appropriate courses as well... word would probably get out on the street amongst the criminal elements of Portsmouth that if they see Cathy and clan, run like hell!

 


There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Oooo-ooooww

Still hasn't lost her touch, has she?
Good on yer' guurll!
Love and hugs.

OXOX

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Bailey Summers I so do love

Bailey Summers

I so do love Cathy when she kicks ass. Sadly that sort of thing happens all too often these days. I work in a hospital and the other day I caught a youth, a nephew stealing money and credit cards from his Aunts purse who was dying of cancer. It took all my resolve not to beat him while calling the RCMP.

Bailey Summers

Inspector Dense

When is he going to show up to demand she go to jail for assaulting the two young boys. Seems par for the course.

Gopher wood had me scratching my head also.

For an Agnostic she knows her Bible well, Her youth in church wasn't wasted. I'm going to check in my version, I thought it was a different wood.
Cathy's a little out of practice and shape. Did they get a surprise ! What's the penalty for attacking with a knife these days, 6 months in the cooler ?
Do you think that bank clerk had to change their underwear ?

Cefin