Masks

Printer-friendly version

Masks

Each day as I rise from my bed
Daily chore I’ve come to dread
Which mask of mine I must wear
For God forbid my face go bare

Part lie, part truth in each mask
Made to help me complete my tasks
But lately something’s happening
Don’t know if I should cry or sing

The masks are becoming a blend
Each taking from each is the trend
I can see when I will have but one
Be myself when I am done

Then I won’t need to hide
I will even have some pride
But until then I will use my masks
So I can complete my daily tasks

up
57 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Dramaturg's notes

A number of years ago, I happened to be Resident Dramaturg with a theatre company doing a premier of a new show titled "Anita Bryant Died for Your Sins" by Brian Christopher Williams. I mention this because your piece here very much reflects the core of that play and a playbill note that I wrote for it. If you get a chance to catch the play, please do; you'll find yourself right at home.

A World Without Masks

Take a careful look around you. Each person you see is driven by the same need to be a part of something. They seek ties to their ancestors and strive to leave a legacy for those yet to come. What have they sacrificed to gain your approval? How have you adapted to meet their standards and expectations? We all struggle to fit in because we believe we are alone in being different and can only be accepted by becoming more like those around us.

There are times in our lives when these conflicts define our existence, a rite of passage, like the bridge between childhood and adult society. Some are planned, like a bar mitzvah; and others are random events presented by the world around us, like the struggle for civil rights or taking a stand on a war in Vietnam… or Iraq. Our reactions to these trials reveal who we are and, often, who we will be throughout our adult life. In an ideal world, a rite of passage would be a personal challenge, tailored to test the individual’s unique combination of talents. The community would know how each child would react; the trial simply proving that they are ready for the responsibilities of adulthood.

In reality, the way we react to these frequently unplanned moments is far less expected. We rise to the challenge or fail under its weight and reveal characteristics that have been masked until that moment, marking us as hero or villain. We portray ourselves incompletely, hiding parts of our true nature, to win a particular reaction from our community. And often, the rite of passage fails to be a challenge at all and our strengths and flaws remain hidden from our community… and from us.

Unfortunately, some communities judge those who do not conform to expectations as less worthy. They ostracize these individuals instead of celebrating qualities that would allow them to make unique contributions. This leads to fewer people revealing their true nature as they hide behind ill-fitting masks; afraid to remove them, even forgetting that they are there. This is our ongoing challenge: to be honest with ourselves and our children, to encourage them to find their own way, and to build a world that does not need masks.

This speaks to me.

I don't really know what is mask because all of my masks are halfway real, buttressed with bravado and bullshit. I really think that there probably isn't much beneath the masks and the hiding.

Oh well, I've taken the first steps and I expect that I'll figure it out at some point.

Lovely poem Dotty, thank you!

Sean_face_0_0.jpg

Abby

Battery.jpg

We all wear masks

RobertaME's picture

Billy Joel wrote a song in 1977 called The Stranger, about how each of us hides our true selves from the world.

When we go to work, we wear the mask of obedience... pretending to be the dutiful worker.
When we talk to friends, we wear the mask of conformity... pretending to like everything they like.
When we are with our children, we wear the mask of authority... pretending that we have all the answers.
When we are with our spouse, we wear the mask of romance... pretending to be whatever pleases them.
When we are alone we wear a mask, the one we wear to lie to ourselves... pretending to be whatever we think we should be.

But there is a true face, even beneath the mask we wear for ourselves. Very few of us ever even admit to ourselves that there is anyone else besides the mask, but no matter how much we try to hide, a little of The Stranger shows itself behind every mask we wear.

I have had many masks.
I wore the mask of stoicism as a child... bravely soldiering on to be the boy my parents wanted.
I wore the mask of invisibility as a teen... hiding in plain sight with no feelings allowed to show.
I wore the mask of masculinity as an adult... hiding the woman from myself and everyone around me.
I wore the mask of fatherhood around my extended family... hiding the mother I was to my children.

And then I burned most of them.

Now I wear the mask daughter, mother, wife, sister, aunt, niece, and woman.

Who is my Stranger? A little girl who wonders where her childhood went... who is still waiting for the chance to come out and play.

And every once in a while, she gets the chance!